• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So can someone please explain what these supposed "lag" issues are? Is it something to do with the framerate slowly down a lot? Or is it something where the input isn't being read right?

Because I've been playing the Switch version since it came out (and am playing it right this moment), and I haven't seen any kind of issue.

The closest is a bit of a framerate issue on the character select screen when the game is booted up...and that goes away after the first match is done.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So can someone please explain what these supposed "lag" issues are? Is it something to do with the framerate slowly down a lot? Or is it something where the input isn't being read right?

Because I've been playing the Switch version since it came out (and am playing it right this moment), and I haven't seen any kind of issue.

The closest is a bit of a framerate issue on the character select screen when the game is booted up...and that goes away after the first match is done.
lag is usually an online problem i believe. the game running slowly due to unstable connections

dlewis53

Smash Lord
lag is usually an online problem i believe. the game running slowly due to unstable connections
That would be my assumption, except Wario Wario Wario claims this is an offline issue, so I honestly don't know what's going on.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

Frame rate issues, I’ve noticed it on menus and stuff which is why I know it’s probably due to the specific version as I don’t have that issue on other consoles.

As far as I know Switch also still has the KO lag spike introduced in Jenny’s update (they added extra effects to KOs so now everytime a KO happens on Switch the game sorta freezes in place for like half a second)

No wonder Smash fans think NASB is a buggy mess when Switch version regularly introduces new problems each pass it seems

dlewis53

Smash Lord
As far as I know Switch also still has the KO lag spike introduced in Jenny’s update (they added extra effects to KOs so now everytime a KO happens on Switch the game sorta freezes in place for like half a second)
...No, I haven't noticed that issue since the new update; I think that one's been fixed.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
And people wonder why there's no IC equivalent!
There is zero way we're getting an Ice Climbers style character in this game. It can barely handle particle effects, they're not about to have two individual evenly sized and proportioned characters acting as a unit while also being able to separate from one another. It'll turn the game into a slideshow.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Considering this game is based on Melee in it's engine, an Icies-style fighter would probably come with wobbling, and nobody wants that.

Yeah it's unfortunate but I think I wasted my money on the Switch version. I bought it at full price too... just so I could have it on the go, but my PS4/5 copies run a hell of a lot better and honestly I'd prefer them if we had crossplay.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There is zero way we're getting an Ice Climbers style character in this game. It can barely handle particle effects, they're not about to have two individual evenly sized and proportioned characters acting as a unit while also being able to separate from one another. It'll turn the game into a slideshow.
Even though that's probably the best way to represent the Angry Beavers in this game.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Do you have any idea who you're replying to?
Ehhh, he don't know me very well, do he?

I was gonna save it for the RTC Beaver triple day, but that's probably like a month and a half away at the rate things are going so I'll do a quick one.

Even though that's probably the best way to represent the Angry Beavers in this game.
It really wouldn't at all though.

First of all, Norbert and Daggett aren't interchangeable clones of one another. They aren't Huey, Dewey and Louie, they're comedic opposites of each other.
Their whole dynamic is centered around their sibling rivalry, and they are often trying to one up the other, are always competing, and sometimes just flat out brawl each other. They're shown to have lives outside each other, so it's not like Ren and Stimpy where they're always seen as a unit despite also being comedic opposites.
Second, by stapling the two Beavers together, you limit what can be done with said individual personalities. Dag and Norb are very bombastic characters. Making them Ice Climbers or Pyra/Mythra means they have to share animations, which means one Beaver would be doing something the other wouldn't, and they'd have to cut down on references to the show to give the two of them generic shared animations. That'd basically turn them INTO interchangeable clones, which like I said, isn't true to them as characters at all.
We already have two duos who attack by fighting each other or using one another as bludgeons. I think we can mix it up a little by letting the two actually fight. There's team mode too if you really want them to fight together.

The thing people tend to do is they see any duo or any team and then just automatically lump them all together in an Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer sort of situation without really considering if it'd make any sense.
If an Ice Climbers situation would be in-character for any Nickelodeon duo, it'd be Cosmo and Wanda, I'd say. They're not clones either but they are often a unit and have identical builds.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I was gonna save it for the RTC Beaver triple day, but that's probably like a month and a half away at the rate things are going so I'll do a quick one.

First of all, Norbert and Daggett aren't interchangeable clones of one another. They aren't Huey, Dewey and Louie.
A tad off topic but this is a disservice to these three, who aren't interchangeable anymore thanks to the phenomenal DuckTales reboot.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

First of all, Norbert and Daggett aren't interchangeable clones of one another. They aren't Huey, Dewey and Louie, they're comedic opposites of each other.
Their whole dynamic is centered around their sibling rivalry, and they are often trying to one up the other, are always competing, and sometimes just flat out brawl each other. They're shown to have lives outside each other, so it's not like Ren and Stimpy where they're always seen as a unit despite also being comedic opposites.
Second, by stapling the two Beavers together, you limit what can be done with said individual personalities. Dag and Norb are very bombastic characters. Making them Ice Climbers or Pyra/Mythra means they have to share animations, which means one Beaver would be doing something the other wouldn't, and they'd have to cut down on references to the show to give the two of them generic shared animations. That'd basically turn them INTO interchangeable clones, which like I said, isn't true to them as characters at all.
We already have two duos who attack by fighting each other or using one another as bludgeons. I think we can mix it up a little by letting the two actually fight. There's team mode too if you really want them to fight together.

The thing people tend to do is they see any duo or any team and then just automatically lump them all together in an Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer sort of situation without really considering if it'd make any sense.
If an Ice Climbers situation would be in-character for any Nickelodeon duo, it'd be Cosmo and Wanda, I'd say. They're not clones either but they are often a unit and have identical builds.
I think that people would complain if the Beavers got separate slots, as they would complain that they would be taking a spot away from another fighter. The devs would also have to make two Angry Beavers stages. The only solutions are to either add only one of the Beavers, make them a 2-in-1 fighter, or save them for a sequel where less people would complain if they got in separately.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Did they dedicate three slots to Aaahh!!! Real Monsters? No? Then we can survive with one Beaver.
I was talking about having both Beavers, but making them separate fighters and not an IC-esque tag fighter.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I was talking about having both Beavers, but making them separate fighters and not an IC-esque tag fighter.
But we don't need both Beavers if we can have only one Monster and two Ninja Turtles. Ludosity's explicitly stated they're not interesting in "completing groups".

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
actually that’s the second time they’ve been made distinct after quak pack
Wait, Quak Pack was an actual show and not an in-universe parody? That makes that episode of DuckTales 2017 about ten times better lmao

But we don't need both Beavers if we can have only one Monster and two Ninja Turtles. Ludosity's explicitly stated they're not interesting in "completing groups".
I still think this is a damn shame as a Raph and Donnie fan. I get why but the show is about all four, and we've never really had something where all four aren't represented with the same care and love.

I think that people would complain if the Beavers got separate slots, as they would complain that they would be taking a spot away from another fighter. The devs would also have to make two Angry Beavers stages. The only solutions are to either add only one of the Beavers, make them a 2-in-1 fighter, or save them for a sequel where less people would complain if they got in separately.
Shredder came with a Double Dare stage, they could easily give whichever Beaver comes second the Icarly studio as a stage. It seems home stages were important in base game, but also seems like only big series get multiple. There's kind of only one really iconic location you could pick for the Beavers, unlike something like Jimmy Neutron or Danny Phantom which have enough interesting locales to warrant multiple stages.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I still think this is a damn shame as a Raph and Donnie fan. I get why but the show is about all four, and we've never really had something where all four aren't represented with the same care and love.
Sad thing is, for those that want the two remaining turtles, I don't think it'd be an easy DLC. Leo and Mikey only have three possible moves that could be shared with other turtles: Leo's down special and down tilt, and Mikey's up tilt which was taken from Raphael's Tournament Fighters moveset anyway.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sad thing is, for those that want the two remaining turtles, I don't think it'd be an easy DLC. Leo and Mikey only have three possible moves that could be shared with other turtles: Leo's down special and down tilt, and Mikey's up tilt which was taken from Raphael's Tournament Fighters moveset anyway.
And people might be upset that TMNT would get six reps. Except for TMNT who were upset that this game didn't include all 4. As for the Beavers, they're pretty likely because they're the last remaining pre-SBSP Nicktoon that isn't in the game already (except for Doug which is now owned by Disney).

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Maybe if we get a sequel. Shrug

Maybe that's why April bugs me so damn much. She's a second tier character who imo probably only got in because the devs were horny for her as kids lmao

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I've said numerous times that I'm okay if we only get one Beaver to start with, then get another in a sequel or if we get enough DLC where they can double dip. Having one leaves the door open for the other in the future.

Why would anyone be mad at having both of them separate? If we only get Daggett, then people are going to want Norbert. People still want the other two Turtles, Arnold, Ickis, Jimmy, Squidward, Zuko etc. Even if the devs aren't interested in completing groups, I've seen plenty of people wanting them to do so anyway.
Why would it be a problem if we get two Angry Beavers stages? I genuinely don't see the issue with that.

Are you telling me the only way they should do the Beavers is a duo, but since they can't have IC style characters in the game, then the Angry Beavers just won't get in at all?

Maybe that's why April bugs me so damn much. She's a second tier character who imo probably only got in because the devs were horny for her as kids lmao
I'm pretty sure they picked April since they thought her being a news reporter would make for an interesting kit, and because April is a fan favorite character in general. You gotta stop with the "this character isn't a protagonist so they shouldn't have gotten in" thing. That's the sort of roster Ludosity wanted to avoid.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You gotta stop with the "this character isn't a protagonist so they shouldn't have gotten in" thing. That's the sort of roster Ludosity wanted to avoid.
Being a bit of a hypocrite, huh?

She may be a fan favorite, but you can't deny it's straight up weird not having all four turtles when they're literally always all in or none in every other crossover. The show's about all four, they're all equal.

I also don't have any problems with Nigel, Helga, Shredder, PTM, or Reptar. It's literally just Hugh and April I genuinely do not like on the roster. And that's even considering the fact that I ****ing despise The Legend of Korra, especially Korra as a character.

And seriously, are you actually gonna believe they added her because of "oh she'd have an interesting moveset!" It's a load of crock. Have you seen how many boys AND girls had their sexual awakening to April O'Niel back in the 80s? To think that nobody that fought for her because of that reason is silly. Hell, her sex appeal is the primary reason she IS so damn popular.

She's also obnoxious to fight. Even if I didn't despise her being on the roster for taking away Raph's shot, I'd hate her for how atrocious she was at launch. Brawl Meta Knight eat your heart out. And she's still a pain in the ass.

I never said that I liked the way Ludosity went about with the roster. It being predictable isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I don't think they shouldn't have some crazy picks - I think the roster is generally pretty good - but I don't believe in the philosophy of passing over the main protagonist because "ermahgerd SOOOO PREDICTABLEEEEEEEEE"

You're supposed to generally like main protagonists, and yes, sometimes they aren't fit for this kind of game, but if you get for example the Mario IP, are you seriously gonna say "I'm gonna put in Birdo before Mario because everyone would see Mario coming!" No, you wouldn't. That's prioritizing shock value over actual substance, and that's April and Hugh to me.

If you like April and Hugh, more power to you. If you want this roster to have these weird picks, that's your prerogative. But my opinion is just as valid as yours is. I want to see characters I actually give a damn about, rather than just pulling names out of a hat. I have nostalgia for Jimbo, Donnie, and Raph, not their random secondary characters, and I'd rather see them over someone the devs thought would be "lol more interesting." And to prove I'm not blatantly so "protagonist biased," there are literally dozens of Nick protags I wouldn't want in this game under any circumstances, even from shows I like - for example, Vendetta from Making Fiends. I liked that show a lot. But there's also dozens of characters, including side characters, that I think deserve a shot before her.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Being a bit of a hypocrite, huh?
Not intentionally? Sorry if it came off that way.

I get what you're saying, but I just think the argument in regards to April isn't as solid as it is for Hugh (which, okay yeah, it IS weird they added him first with no indication Jimmy is coming later) since there ARE protagonists present. I think when it came to April and Shredder, they wanted more visual variety between TMNT rather than four green turtles. If they all collectively decided to add in April because she all gives them a boner, that's their own fine business.
And like, I get it. I think it's really weird to not have all four Turtles present. It actually kinda stinks this game broke the perfect attendance record of all four Turtles in a video game. But at the same time I can kind of see where the devs are coming from in not wanting too many identical looking characters. (Just had to pick the 80's versions, didn't ya? Couldn't at least give them the 80's figure/2003 cartoon colors?)

I guess I was misreading you saying stuff like "second tier" or "third string" as commendation of supporting characters on the roster. If so, that's on me. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Baysha

Smash Ace
Personally, while I'm not a fan of TMNT by any stretch of the imagination, I honestly love how they went about representing it. I wouldn't have really known TMNT as anything other than "that series that takes up four whole slots without even being a version that aired on Nickelodeon." It'd be like an instant Fire Emblem for me and I suspect it would be similar for many other people.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think when it came to April and Shredder, they wanted more visual variety between TMNT rather than four green turtles.
It's been confirmed by Ludosity. In this case it's kind of ironic that they went against Nick's wishes for 2012 representation, seeing as how the 2012 show Luigified the Turtles.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It's been confirmed by Ludosity. In this case it's kind of ironic that they went against Nick's wishes for 2012 representation, seeing as how the 2012 show Luigified the Turtles.
Yeah, honestly if they had gone with the 2012 Turtles, this wouldn't even be an issue. That was absolutely bias at work.

Not to mention TMNT would actually feel like Nickelodeon representation rather than four guest characters.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
My thoughts on TMNT as a fan of the franchise is that they’ve had plenty of games and even several fighting games where they were all playable, while April and Shredder usually got shafted. I think it’s a refreshing change of pace and I’m sure they’ll eventually be added in a sequel should there be enough demand for them.

I don’t like the sex appeal argument against April though, the game is being marketed at a general audience and they have shown no signs of that being their reason for choosing her

Fighting games tend to just get odd picks, especially crossover ones. As an example, Shuma Gorath has been in more Marvel vs Capcom games than Thor and became playable before him, and according to Capcom it largely had to do with them liking the character (on top of Thor not being a super popular request at the time but shhhh)

What I’m getting at is, unique roster picks like April and Shuma Gorath give a distinct signature for their games that you won’t find elsewhere. Any good crossover fighter has them. Of course, Shuma Gorath also isn’t taking the place of two other characters, but they’re gonna come eventually

The other thing to consider is draw. If they added all 4 turtles like what always happens, that’s not news. But adding characters like April and Shredder in favor of them immediately draws attention because it’s not typical. Heck PTM, Nigel and Oblina are arguably big reasons why so many people caught interest in the game to begin with: less conventional picks usually = more creative freedom (we couldn’t anticipate it’d be just about the only thing Ludosity got creative freedom with but oh well). And naturally this applies to Hugh as well, him coming before Jimmy is more attention getting and all but ensures Jimmy will soon follow

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Fighting games tend to just get odd picks, especially crossover ones. As an example, Shuma Gorath has been in more Marvel vs Capcom games than Thor and became playable before him, and according to Capcom it largely had to do with them liking the character (on top of Thor not being a super popular request at the time but shhhh)
Well, that's the thing, this game wouldn't primarily attract MvC fans, it'd attract Smash ones. They'd be used to Smash making safe, corporate choices which have become even more obvious from 4 onwards, so when Nick wants their own slice of the Smash pie and their game has
  • Only two Turtles
  • Oblina without Ickis
  • Helga without Arnold
  • Reptar without any babies
  • Hugh without Jimmy (for now)
  • ...and generally a lot more nostalgia pandering as opposed to promoting new things
Smash fans are going to be confused. Picks like these are foreign territory to them. Of course, it also helps that what's corporate for Nick and corporate for Nintendo are two different things: Nintendo likes to promote recent titles while Nick prefers nostalgia pandering unless a show does SpongeBob numbers.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well, that's the thing, this game wouldn't primarily attract MvC fans, it'd attract Smash ones. They'd be used to Smash making safe, corporate choices which have become even more obvious from 4 onwards, so when Nick wants their own slice of the Smash pie and their game has
  • Only two Turtles
  • Oblina without Ickis
  • Helga without Arnold
  • ...and generally a lot more nostalgia pandering as opposed to promoting new things
Smash fans are going to be confused. Picks like these are foreign territory to them. Of course, it also helps that what's corporate for Nick and corporate for Nintendo are two different things: Nintendo likes to promote recent titles while Nick prefers nostalgia pandering unless a show does SpongeBob numbers.
1. I don't appreciate being implicated like I'm confused about this. I know it's not a Smash game and I know they went for a more unconvential roster.
2. Oblina without Ickis isn't weird, because for the millionth time, all three of them are the main characters in their show.
3. Have you seen Nick lately? All their merchandise is all ABOUT nostalgia pandering.
4. ...How did Ultimate even remotely go for the "safe, corporate choices?" Yes, I'm sure everyone rooting for Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo expected Joker, Sephiroth, Sora, Terry, and Kazuya to show up, oh and Dark Samus and Chrom too, and Richter, and Piranha Plant, and Incineroar...

Yeah, honestly if they had gone with the 2012 Turtles, this wouldn't even be an issue. That was absolutely bias at work.

Not to mention TMNT would actually feel like Nickelodeon representation rather than four guest characters.
I'd argue it might actually be because they wanted old April and Shredder as to why they went with the vintage versions.

...My guy, you realize the reason that MvC2 had sucha gigantic roster is because they re-used sprites from other games, right? The only reason Shuma probably got in in the first place is because he was already in Capcom's Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter game. Same with Blackheart, both of whom were comic relevant at the time (side note: That game was full of ****ing shotos, jeez, more than half the SF side is shotos)

I've mentioned it before, but I never was a fan of that style of roster selection, for NASB, MvC, or otherwise. The occasional oddball pick doesn't bother me, but when you've got a decent chunk being oddballs, that's when I think it becomes a problem. Like it or not, the hefty majority of people will have the main protag of any work be their fave character from that work, so choosing someone else risks making your audience upset.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
  • Only two Turtles
  • Oblina without Ickis
  • Helga without Arnold
you think nostalgia pandering is foreign to Nintendo? Have you played their games?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
...My guy, you realize the reason that MvC2 had sucha gigantic roster is because they re-used sprites from other games, right? The only reason Shuma probably got in in the first place is because he was already in Capcom's Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter game. Same with Blackheart, both of whom were comic relevant at the time (side note: That game was full of ****ing shotos, jeez, more than half the SF side is shotos)
I can’t really argue against your preferences but I don’t understand what you’re getting at here? The point is that they picked Shuma Gorath to add of all the Marvel characters when given the chance rather than a founding member of the Avengers (heck didn’t he get in before Iron Man as well?).

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I can’t really argue against your preferences but I don’t understand what you’re getting at here? The point is that they picked Shuma Gorath to add of all the Marvel characters when given the chance rather than a founding member of the Avengers (heck didn’t he get in before Iron Man as well?).
My point is that Thor didn't have an existing sprite sheet at Capcom beyond his assist one from MvC1; they didn't pick Shuma-Gorath because they wanted him over Thor, it was just easier to add. That goes for pretty much every character on the roster beyond like Tron and Hayato.

Top Bottom