• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Woah it's almost like game development is hard as **** with the dev team being tiny enough to cause significant delays if someone goes on vacation and as the tweet said, lack of a beta branch. That's miniscule considering how widely known the game is and I think the transparancy is something better because hey, would y'all prefer it if Rep said nothing with the glitch popping up in the next patch?

amageish

Smash Master

He has since specified it'll only impact Dash Attacks.

Glitches suck and obviously Rep's public comments about how the game requires a higher budget to function in an ideal state gives more ammunition for people to lob at him/NASB, but that isn't a world-ending glitch by any means either. Better to be upfront about it then nothing at all.

dlewis53

Smash Lord

He has since specified it'll only impact Dash Attacks.

Glitches suck and obviously Rep's public comments about how the game requires a higher budget to function in an ideal state gives more ammunition for people to lob at him/NASB, but that isn't a world-ending glitch by any means either. Better to be upfront about it then nothing at all.
Yeah, I don't even use the right Joy-Stick when playing the game, so it sounds like I'll be fine, and I agree that it's good for Rep to be upfront about this stuff, although I feel it'd be good for him to elaborate more calmly about what's going on as opposed to how the original Tweet was written.

Also, to be frank, I feel if people DO start lobbing complaints like this, they should be doing it at Nickelodeon, not Rep.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
He could just be messing with you.

Especially since Shrek being a fighter in this wouldn't really make sense considering he didn't even have a show that aired on Nick.

If they ever DID try to insert a Dreamworks character in, it'd probably be either Po or one of the Penguins.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
He could just be messing with you.

Especially since Shrek being a fighter in this wouldn't really make sense considering he didn't even have a show that aired on Nick.

If they ever DID try to insert a Dreamworks character in, it'd probably be either Po or one of the Penguins.
I know he was just meming, but that feels a bit arbitrary - if you're gonna go to Dreamworks for a guest, it'd probably make sense to prioritise the most iconic character and long-time Smash meme over the Penguins or Po regardless of Nick connection.

D

Deleted member

I know he was just meming, but that feels a bit arbitrary - if you're gonna go to Dreamworks for a guest, it'd probably make sense to prioritise the most iconic character and long-time Smash meme over the Penguins or Po regardless of Nick connection.
I could see including Shrek being a condition on Dreamwork's part for also including the Penquins or Po.

Probably just a joke though.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
...Except it isn't arbitrary because at the end of the day, this is a fighting game centered around Nickelodeon, and compared to Po and the Penguins, Shrek has virtually no connection to the channel whatsoever.

So regardless of how iconic Shrek is, prioritizing him over Po or the Penguins wouldn't really make much sense.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
...Except it isn't arbitrary because at the end of the day, this is a fighting game centered around Nickelodeon, and compared to Po and the Penguins, Shrek has virtually no connection to the channel whatsoever.

So regardless of how iconic Shrek is, prioritizing him over Po or the Penguins wouldn't really make much sense.
Well, if you're going to a company other than Viacom for a character, you've already broken that rule. That's why they call them "guest characters".

D

Deleted member

Haven't really been following this game since it came out but I'm going to make a prediction: one of the DLC characters will be a character from the new Star Trek cartoon. Nick are promoting it pretty hard

Also:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Haven't really been following this game since it came out but I'm going to make a prediction: one of the DLC characters will be a character from the new Star Trek cartoon. Nick are promoting it pretty hard

Also:
IDK about that. From what we know Ludosity was almost hands-off when it comes to roster choices and there's no confirmation that Nick forced any characters onto the devs.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well, if you're going to a company other than Viacom for a character, you've already broken that rule. That's why they call them "guest characters".
...That's not what I was saying.

The reason Po and the Penguins would make sense is that they both had cartoons airing on Nickelodeon (not to mention both were featured in the Super Brawl games that preceded All-Star Brawl), whereas Shrek to my knowledge has nothing going for him in that regard; he never had any cartoon on Nick, nor was there a special that aired on the channel, thus I feel he wouldn't really fit in a game centered around "Nickelodeon".

Hell, the Raving Rabbids would make more sense than Shrek considering they also had a cartoon airing on Nick.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
...That's not what I was saying.

The reason Po and the Penguins would make sense is that they both had cartoons airing on Nickelodeon (not to mention both were featured in the Super Brawl games that preceded All-Star Brawl), whereas Shrek to my knowledge has nothing going for him in that regard; he never had any cartoon on Nick, nor was there a special that aired on the channel, thus I feel he wouldn't really fit in a game centered around "Nickelodeon".

Hell, the Raving Rabbids would make more sense than Shrek considering they also had a cartoon airing on Nick.
But why should Nick ties even be that relevant for guests? It's not like the game would become some insane focusless crossoverpalooza like Ultimate or MK11 at the slightest drop of a hat if a non-Nick-related guest or two were added.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

Also:
I don't think that sticker means much at all, but Star Trek wouldn't surprise me on some level. I know Ludosity/Fair-Play-Labs/Game-Mill are picking the characters, not Nick execs, but also... Captain Janeway would be funny and definitely get attention on the game. It'd be a very entertainingly incongruent pick and is arguably the biggest Nick IP not in the game outside of Nick Junior...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that sticker means much at all, but Star Trek wouldn't surprise me on some level. I know Ludosity/Fair-Play-Labs/Game-Mill are picking the characters, not Nick execs, but also... Captain Janeway would be funny and definitely get attention on the game. It'd be a very entertainingly incongruent pick and is arguably the biggest Nick IP not in the game outside of Nick Junior...
Technically that honor belongs to the Fairly OddParents.

amageish

Smash Master
Star Trek isn't a Nick IP in origin, but it is a ViacomCBS IP that has a Nick series, which is the same category as Garfield is.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Then why didn't the Super Brawl games choose Shrek over Dreamworks movies with Nicktoons, then? They'd still need to get Dreamworks' approval for those appearances, and they specifically went for, well, Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda reps.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Then why didn't the Super Brawl games choose Shrek over Dreamworks movies with Nicktoons, then? They'd still need to get Dreamworks' approval for those appearances, and they specifically went for, well, Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda reps.
Because those games were made to promote Nick's lineup at the time, this one is a paid product and promotes itself.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
And Monsters Vs. Aliens since it had a show too.

By the way, can we not talk about this Shrek situation? I feel this is just a funny little joke that shouldn't be treated seriously.

Top Bottom