• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Catdog Showcase

On one hand, I've got to say it's very impressive that the devs clearly made sure characters would get some gameplan instead of just slapping references, Spongebob is the Shoto, Patrick is stubby yet strong, Sandy's rushdown, Ren and Stimpy are built around being anti-crossup, etc. On the other hand, CatDog has terrifying mix potential and looks like a combination of Min Min and Pythra, the characters who I can't stand playing against the most, I'm gonna get mixed into the next dimension and there's not a damn thing I can do about it

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
On one hand, I've got to say it's very impressive that the devs clearly made sure characters would get some gameplan instead of just slapping references, Spongebob is the Shoto, Patrick is stubby yet strong, Sandy's rushdown, Ren and Stimpy are built around being anti-crossup, etc. On the other hand, CatDog has terrifying mix potential and looks like a combination of Min Min and Pythra, the characters who I can't stand playing against the most, I'm gonna get mixed into the next dimension and there's not a damn thing I can do about it
Yes.
The CatDog singularity is here.
Be very, very afraid.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Well, seems we were right about the stance fighter bit. I must say that I am glad to finally be able to understand the up b mystery I had (which was the move that made me wonder if there was more than one way to switch around). Even if most moves are shared between the two, I wonder what are the differences between them since I expect even visually similar moves to have some differences. The victory pose was great. And there is potential for the catdog stage to be legal. I remain excited to use them and learn more about this really unique fighter.

Also, this got on my reccomended and though about sharing it.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
A couple minor things to note:

1. After getting used to the accent, I noticed the narrator referred to CatDog as a "Medium-Heavy" character. Considering the Pyra/Mythra parallel, I'm guessing Medium=Cat and Heavy=Dog. "Medium-Heavy" = "Cat-Dog". ...I don't know if that was intentional, but if it was, that's pretty clever, not gonna lie.

2. For some reason, on the game's Twitter account, they only posted the Youtube link and nothing else; looks like someone goofed up a bit.

3. On the note of All-Star Brawl's Twitter account, I'm wondering if whoever is charge of running it is a fan of CatDog, because I've noticed that ever since the duo was officially revealed, the profile image for the account has been their render, and it still is now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I was pretty sure we could get anyone as the next character. Kinda hoped it'd be PDT though, oh well.

At least Catdog has my fave win animation so far. Also, their stage's theme isn't to bad surprisingly.

In a situation where Nintendo thinks "we NEED to keep up with NASB!", I can imagine them being out of touch enough to think "it has TV show characters, Smash doesn't" is what the problem is.
The thing is Sak only wants to do Smash when he feels like it, plus a bunch of people wanted him to rest after two consecutive dev cycles anyway.

The timing just didn't seem to work out, but I honestly don't care since I wanted an equivalent to keep me busy until the next game anyway, so. :drshrug:

That being said, there are still some Smash fans writing this game off as disposable from the onset.

1631815472202.jpeg

So I guess it's a showcase every day until launch now?
Unless they still take the weekends off, anyway, but other than that, just about yeah.

Whoever thought that the leads of sadist comedies would end up being the hardest to read? First Ren & Stimpy, now this. :4pacman:

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was pretty sure we could get anyone as the next character. Kinda hoped it'd be PDT though, oh well.

At least Catdog has my fave win animation so far. Also, their stage's theme isn't to bad surprisingly.
"PDT"? Was that supposed to be "PTM" for Powdered Toast Man?

Also, yeah, CatDog's victory animation is pretty good, both with being a nice reference to their show's opening, as well as showing the duo genuinely celebrating with each other, which is nice considering some of their moves involve them fighting each other.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"PDT"? Was that supposed to be "PTM" for Powdered Toast Man?

Also, yeah, CatDog's victory animation is pretty good, both with being a nice reference to their show's opening, as well as showing the duo genuinely celebrating with each other, which is nice considering some of their moves involve them fighting each other.
Right, wrong abbreviation on my part.
I do hope the next dummy will be someone that isn't Spongebob, as I still want to see other characters' losing animations. :chrono:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Right, wrong abbreviation on my part.
I do hope the next dummy will be someone that isn't Spongebob, as I still want to see other characters' losing animations. :chrono:
I figured that. And honestly, I wanna see more of Powdered Toast Man too; on top of wanting to see just how wacky he is, I also feel like we've barely seen anything about him (along with the likes of Danny, Zim, and Helga).

And yeah, I wanna know other characters' losing animations too!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I figured that. And honestly, I wanna see more of Powdered Toast Man too; on top of wanting to see just how wacky he is, I also feel like we've barely seen anything about him (along with the likes of Danny, Zim, and Helga).

And yeah, I wanna know other characters' losing animations too!
I predict that the losing animation of Ren and Stimpy will be Ren beating up Stimpy due to them losing the fight.
(Ren can get pretty violent and aggressive, just like real life chihuahuas.)

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Watching the showcase video again, I REALLY hope that there's at least a more overall difference to having Cat in front vs. having Dog in front beyond the three different move variants, like how Pyra and Mythra technically share normal attacks, but they have overall different stats, because if not, I don't really see that drastic a difference between using Cat or using Dog.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Only saw the Catdog video just now.

It seems like a very good and strong character, neutral air strong seems devastingly good, maybe too much XD.

The stance thing seems more like an afterthought, and I definitely wouldn't compare it to mythra/pyra, since there's only 3 moves affected.
In a way I see it as a waste of a stance change (and the down b button), but it doesn't really matter since the character itself is probably high/top tier :p

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Even though the game has original music and no stock tracks from the characters source media, what music from the nick games do you wish to hear for this game?

For Me:

Nicktoons Crossover Series
Unite!
Takin' Down the Bad Guys!
Battle for Volcano Island
*The Music I chose are from the GBA version, which i only played sorry.
Rocky Outcrop
Beach Theme
Underground Theme
Mawgu Final Boss
Credits
Attack of the Toybots
Retroville(GBA)
Fairy World
Ghost Zone
Bikini Bottom
Retroville(DS)
Amity Park
Boss Battle
Cutscene 2
Title Theme(Consoles)
Bikini Bottom
Fairy World
Globs of Doom
Main Menu(Consoles)
Retroville(DS)
MLB
One of the Main Themes(I can't find em on youtube nor do i wish to download the full soundtrack)

Spongebob Games
Battle for Bikini Bottom
Bikini Bottom
Jellyfish Fields
Goo La Goo
Spongebot Steelpants
Atlantis Squarepantis: The Video Game(Gameboy Advance)
Amulet Cave

Nick Brawl Series(If only it was aloud)
Super Brawl
Title Theme
Super Brawl 2
Title Theme
Super Brawl 3: Good Vs. Evil
Title Theme
Main Theme
Super Brawl 4
Title Theme
Brawl Universe
Main Menu

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Games
TMNT(2007): The Video Game(GBA)
Act 5-Storm the Castle Part 2: Stage 2

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So, NASB's preorder is a featured game on the eShop, at least in Canada. Doesn't really mean much beyond "Someone probably paid Nintendo to put it there," but it could be a good sign towards Nintendo promoting the game, potentially even in a Direct of some sort...
There's currently leakers claiming a new Direct is slated for this week or at least sometime later in September.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
In a way I see it as a waste of a stance change (and the down b button)
Well keep in mind it's not a waste of the Down B because even if you discount it, they have the extra special (hairball/bonerang). So their down B essentially allows them to have one more special attack anyway, with two bonus moves too.

amageish

Smash Master
There's currently leakers claiming a new Direct is slated for this week or at least sometime later in September.
Fair! I imagine it'd have to be next week, if they wanted to avoid overlapping Tokyo Game Show... unless they plan on shadowdropping something tomorrow.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well keep in mind it's not a waste of the Down B because even if you discount it, they have the extra special (hairball/bonerang). So their down B essentially allows them to have one more special attack anyway, with two bonus moves too.
Having to switch to use them makes it hard to be situational tho. If it's a super quick change then I could see some use for it, but right now I'm not convinced it's as useful as it could be to just have the hair ball on down b :p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, here's some food for thought.

Now, we know that the biggest requests are Garfield, the Neutrons, Jimmy and/or fairies, Jenny and the rest of the Turtles (and maybe Shredder for good measure), but in the event that those are covered, then what? I can hardly see the DLC stop after one season.

I imagine that fans would want characters from lesser covered shows (including the Angry Beavers and Rocko if neither get in the base game), and maybe a few extra Loud sisters.

When you are relegated to a stage background cameo
He snarked around 95% of the time, so that's fair enough.

Fair! I imagine it'd have to be next week, if they wanted to avoid overlapping Tokyo Game Show... unless they plan on shadowdropping something tomorrow.
I doubt it's tomorrow, since stuff rarely happens on Fridays, so next week is a safe bet unless weird stuff happens.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Now, we know that the biggest requests are Garfield, the Neutrons, Jimmy and/or fairies and the rest of the Turtles (and maybe Shredder for good measure), but in the event that those are covered, then what? I can hardly see the DLC stop after one season.

I imagine that fans would want characters from lesser covered shows (including the Angry Beavers and Rocko if neither get in the base game), and maybe a few extra Loud sisters.
You forgot Jenny.

Anyway, after that people will, well, try to move on to other Nicktoons. Once those characters have gotten in, fans of Kablam, Rocket Power, ChalkZone and so on will become more vocal, assuming they haven't gotten any reps before then.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You forgot Jenny.

Anyway, after that people will, well, try to move on to other Nicktoons. Once those characters have gotten in, fans of Kablam, Rocket Power, ChalkZone and so on will become more vocal, assuming they haven't gotten any reps before then.
Yeah, I just wasn't sure if she was asked vocally enough outside of here, thanks.
In regards to ChalkZone, I could see Snap be this game's :ultgnw: if he uses stuff drawn by Rudy to fight.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

Now, we know that the biggest requests are Garfield, the Neutrons, Jimmy and/or fairies and the rest of the Turtles (and maybe Shredder for good measure), but in the event that those are covered, then what? I can hardly see the DLC stop after one season.

I'm wondering if requests are really gonna matter for DLC, at least for a while. Do we know a thing about the DLC development cycle for this yet? I know SSBU's DLC started development months before the base game released, specifically in terms of locking down certain characters, but this is a much smaller scale release than that of course. Do y'all think they've already decided the first few rounds of DLC past the 2 that are confirmed or what?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm wondering if requests are really gonna matter for DLC, at least for a while. Do we know a thing about the DLC development cycle for this yet? I know SSBU's DLC started development months before the base game released, specifically in terms of locking down certain characters, but this is a much smaller scale release than that of course. Do y'all think they've already decided the first few rounds of DLC past the 2 that are confirmed or what?
I imagine that the devs have a long list of characters they'd like to see anyway, seeing as very few of their suggestions were nixed (pretty much just amounting to Alex Mack so far, a live-action character). Since there's less budget to use, DLC would be theoretically easier to start up, the only apparent challenging part was getting the bigwigs onboard with anything beyond their supposed predictable choices.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Now, we know that the biggest requests are Garfield, the Neutrons, Jimmy and/or fairies, Jenny and the rest of the Turtles (and maybe Shredder for good measure), but in the event that those are covered, then what? I can hardly see the DLC stop after one season.

Outside of the ones you listed, I imagine another SpongeBob character would be on the cards for DLC. It honestly feels obligatory being Nick's flagship series and all, and there are plenty of viable options from Squidward to Plankton to Mr. Krabs to even someone weird like Mermaid Man. Personally, I see it being Squidward, since he's the third most important character after SpongeBob and Patrick (plus all the day 1 memes about him, which tells me that people really wanna see him in the game), with a moveset revolving around long limbs and a few musical references in his specials. A third Loud House rep MIGHT happen since the show is so popular these days, but I also don't know how much the devs really care about The Loud House and Nick doesn't seem to be pushing any "please shill this" picks onto them. Shredder would DEFINITELY be a DLC pick, so I think we're pretty likely to see him at some point, even if we don't get the rest of the turtles.

Other than that, I can definitely see them moving on to some lesser known Nicktoons after the big names are cleared away. Snap from ChalkZone I can oddly see happening given how vocal that show's fanbase is, and assuming Rocko gets in, Angry Beavers would be the only noteworthy 90's Nicktoon left. (I'm not counting Rocket Power since its first episode aired in August of '99. If Rocket Power's a 90's show, then I'm a 90's kid.)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Outside of the ones you listed, I imagine another SpongeBob character would be on the cards for DLC. It's Nickelodeon's flagship series, and there are plenty of viable options from Squidward to Plankton to Mr. Krabs to even someone weird like Mermaid Man. Personally, I see it being Squidward, since he's the third most important character after SpongeBob and Patrick (plus all the day 1 memes about him, which tells me that people really wanna see him in the game), with a moveset revolving around long limbs and a few musical references in his specials.
Other than that, I can definitely see them moving on to some lesser known Nicktoons after the big names are cleared away. Snap from ChalkZone I can oddly see happening, and assuming Rocko gets in, Angry Beavers would be the only noteworthy 90's Nicktoon left. (I'm not counting Rocket Power since its first episode aired in August of '99. If Rocket Power's a 90's show, then I'm a 90's kid.) A third Loud House rep MIGHT happen since the show is so popular these days, but I also don't know how much the devs really care about The Loud House and Nick doesn't seem to be pushing any "please shill this" picks onto them. Shredder would DEFINITELY be a DLC pick, so I think we're pretty likely to see him at some point, even if we don't get the rest of the turtles.
If DLC after those first two post-release characters follows a season pass structure, I imagine it might go like this:

• Pass sellers: 2-3 characters from the pool that Jenny, Jimmy, Timmy, Rocko etc. are part of
  • An iconic character from an already repped show, Squidward, Shredder etc.
  • A lesser requested 90s character, Otto, June etc.
  • A lesser requested 2000s character, Bessie, Vendetta etc.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If DLC after those first two post-release characters follows a season pass structure, I imagine it might go like this:

• Pass sellers: 2-3 characters from the pool that Jenny, Jimmy, Timmy, Rocko etc. are part of
This seems pretty likely to me. I didn't even remember Bessie, she'd probably be up for consideration, although I worry she might be pretty far down the list, so to speak. And speaking of 2000's shows, if they REALLY wanna go crazy, they could add Otis for the memes.
Voris.jpg

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Maybe there's also the possibility of live action characters later as dlc or in a sequel. The latest interview said that for now none are planned, but they implied that they could be open to the possibility later. Aside from that (and from what other users have talked), there's also the possibility of Nick Jr. characters like Dora or Backyardigans. If the game get big enough, there's also a small possibility of third party characters from other cartoons, but I'd personnally wait to add the big remianing Nicktoons like Jimmy Neutron, Jenny, Garfield, Fairly oddparents, Rocko and Angry beavers before going that route.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yeah, that seems logical, captain. You could also include 2010s/20s in that last category as well, seeing how folks might want Kitty and Miko, for example.

Also, I can't help but think Fanboy and Chum Chum might randomly end up being one of the bonus characters after most people thought they initially weren't on the table anymore.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Even though the game has original music and no stock tracks from the characters source media, what music from the nick games do you wish to hear for this game?

For Me:

Nicktoons Crossover Series
Unite!
Takin' Down the Bad Guys!
Battle for Volcano Island
*The Music I chose are from the GBA version, which i only played sorry.
Rocky Outcrop
Beach Theme
Underground Theme
Mawgu Final Boss
Credits
Attack of the Toybots
Retroville(GBA)
Fairy World
Ghost Zone
Bikini Bottom
Retroville(DS)
Amity Park
Boss Battle
Cutscene 2
Title Theme(Consoles)
Bikini Bottom
Fairy World
Globs of Doom
Main Menu(Consoles)
Retroville(DS)
MLB
One of the Main Themes(I can't find em on youtube nor do i wish to download the full soundtrack)

Spongebob Games
Battle for Bikini Bottom
Bikini Bottom
Jellyfish Fields
Goo La Goo
Spongebot Steelpants
Atlantis Squarepantis: The Video Game(Gameboy Advance)
Amulet Cave

Nick Brawl Series(If only it was aloud)
Super Brawl
Title Theme
Super Brawl 2
Title Theme
Super Brawl 3: Good Vs. Evil
Title Theme
Main Theme
Super Brawl 4
Title Theme
Brawl Universe
Main Menu

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Games
TMNT(2007): The Video Game(GBA)
Act 5-Storm the Castle Part 2: Stage 2
The Spongebob Movie music (GameCube) - Final boss - YouTube This song slaps way more than it should.
Spongebob: Lights, Camera, Pants! Music - Flippin' Out |Full Version| - YouTube I have good memory of this game.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
This seems pretty likely to me. I didn't even remember Bessie, she'd probably be up for consideration, although I worry she might be pretty far down the list, so to speak. And speaking of 2000's shows, if they REALLY wanna go crazy, they could add Otis for the memes.
View attachment 330549
Otis is actually on the top 10 for most wanted characters in a poll that was done a while back, coming in at about #3, topping characters like Jimmy Neutron and Squidward and even beating Garfield (who was #5)
I think for DLC he definitely has a shot still if support hasn't dwindled since then

In general I would hope we get more 2000's characters cus honestly it's pretty Sad how under-represented that era of Nickelodeon is in that game currently, compared to 90's Nickelodeon or even modern Nickelodeon stuff like Loud House and SpongeBob (though I also see SpongeBob as a bridge between modern and classic Nickelodeon)

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Maybe there's also the possibility of live action characters later as dlc or in a sequel. The latest interview said that for now none are planned, but they implied that they could be open to the possibility later. Aside from that (and from what other users have talked), there's also the possibility of Nick Jr. characters like Dora or Backyardigans. If the game get big enough, there's also a small possibility of third party characters from other cartoons, but I'd personnally wait to add the big remianing Nicktoons like Jimmy Neutron, Jenny, Garfield, Fairly oddparents, Rocko and Angry beavers before going that route.
...Eeh, I'm not exactly crazy about the idea of Live-Action Nick shows being put into this game (at least, in regards to playable characters), because a large part of me feels like it'd be really weird and jarring. I could maybe see some stages based on certain shows, but not characters.

Also, incredibly minor update, but GameMill just uploaded the Patrick showcase video to their Youtube channel, so that's no longer exclusive to GameTrailers.

So I guess that's a thing.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
...Eeh, I'm not exactly crazy about the idea of Live-Action Nick shows being put into this game (at least, in regards to playable characters), because a large part of me feels like it'd be really weird and jarring. I could maybe see some stages based on certain shows, but not characters.
Yeah I agree, the most live action shows should reasonably get are stages. The game show sets, Good Burger, the iCarly studio, go nuts, but characters with the likenesses of real actual actors getting the **** beat out of them by Patrick Star seems a bit much.

Top Bottom