• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NH Teen Institute benefit SSBB tournament - Kittery, ME - BIG CASH PRIZES! - Feb. 7th

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet

Results!:​

Doubles:

1: Here's The List of People I Like (HTLPIL) ($72.00)
2: Mighty_Kites (Mighty_Kites) ($36.00)
3: 12493 (12493) ($12.00)
4: Holla at the Roof Tofu (Holla at the Roof Tofu)
5: Frosty Spoons (Frosty Spoons)
5: The Green Team (The Green Team)

Singles:

1: Bisu[shield] ($140.00)
2: C. Awesum ($40.00)
3: Making_Waves ($20.00)
4: JangBi
5: Zesuben
5: FPoon
7: Fapton Calcon
7: Jike
9: White Fro
9: Melon of Doom
9: MJC
9: Dnutz
13: ZWE
13: Air Revenant
13: Truck
13: Cog
17: Crisp
17: Geese
17: Matt
17: PJB

What:​
It's a singles and doubles Brawl tournament to raise money for the New Hampshire Teen Institute hosted by the all mighty Holo-Dek gaming theater

Where:​

The Holo-Dek gaming theater in Kittery, ME has graciously let us use their facilities for this event. This rocks. Holo-Dek features many HD projectors, 6 Wii consoles, many other consoles, and high performance computers connected for LAN play.
So if your out of the tournament early, you can still spend all the time you want there playing whatever games you want.

- Address:
HoloDek Gaming Center
506 US Rte. 1
Kittery ME, 03904
(207) 439-4275
www.holo-dek.com

This is only an hour or so north of Boston!

When:

February 7th, 2009 (It's a Saturday)
2pm (Doors at noon)

How much?​
A normal all day pass for Holo-Dek is 25$
But for this tournament, an all day pass will only cost 10$

Then it is 15$ to enter the tournament with $5 of that going to the NH Teen Institute, and $10 going to the winners fund

Prizes:​
As noted above, the prize is going to be a cash prize divided between the top three players (60/30/10).
The total purse is going to be whatever $10 x number of contestants I'm expecting a very good crowd for this (around 50), as it's more than just Smash Boards and AiB people coming. If 50 people attend, then the total purse would be 500$, which would make for a very good prize between three people.

Rules:​
(They're just the Smash boards rules)

General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages:

Starter:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter:
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens

Banned:
Pictochat
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.

The semi-final and championship sets will be in a best of 5 format.

Life stealing is allowed for doubles, and team attack must be "on".

Please let me know if your interested! :​
PLEASE PM me with your name, e-mail address, and phone number. This is important if there is a huge snowstorm on the 6th and the tournament is moved to the 7th and I need to let everyone know quickly.

You can also RSVP on facebook here:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=59493885335

and/or on AiB here:
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=4157

About me:​
My name is Irving Gadoury, and I am the regional coordinator for the NH Teen Institute. I've been playing Brawl mostly on GameBattles since the Spring '08 ladder, and I only recently started playing on AiB under the name "Making_Waves" (My wii is broken right now though, so I can't play any matches w/ anyone yet). This is the first tournament I've ever organized and any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I am very familiar with the rules and procedure though, so don't worry about that.

About the NH Teen Institute:​
Since 1983, NH Teen Institute (TI) has offered comprehensive, dynamic, leadership training programs to help thousands of middle and high school students by providing safe, affirming, informative experiences that help them build character, camaraderie, a support network, and lives that are free of dependence on alcohol and other drugs.
www.nhteeninstiute.org

I'm pumped for it. Let me know if you have any suggestions, questions, comments etc.
I'll see ya there:chuckle:

Hoser

Smash Ace
If I can get this day off, I'll be there.

edit: 10 venue fee and 15 to enter? I prolly won't be going then. What are the counterpick stages for this?

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
The entry fee is like that because it's normally 25$ just to play all day at Holo-Dek as it is. So with 25$, your entering the tournament, donating to NH Teen Instiute, and even if you get knocked out early you can just play all the games you want at Holo-Dek the rest of the night.

Plus, the main reason it's more money is because the cash prize is pretty big as well. It could potentially be $300+

Starter:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter:
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens

Banned:
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

It's the standard SBR rules, but yeah if you need me to clarify anything let me know.

So Fatal

Smash Master
I think 25% of the entry fee should go to the NH teen, half is a little bit too much. Also, If I have an all day pass holo dek voucher will that waive me of the 10$ all day pass fee?

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
I think 25% of the entry fee should go to the NH teen, half is a little bit too much. Also, If I have an all day pass holo dek voucher will that waive me of the 10$ all day pass fee?
It's not 50% of the total 25$ only 50% of the 15$.

So it's $7.50 to winners fund and $7.50 to the organization. I was just thinking that if 30-50 people show up like expected, that's $225-$375 to the winners. That's $135-$225 for first place alone. I felt that that's plenty of money for the winners to be content while still being a successful fundraiser for the organization. Otherwise, I feel that the event would be seem more like an excuse to organize a Brawl tournament for money.
If it was 75/25 like you suggested, and a mere 30 people showed up, the winners pot would be $337.50 while the organization the tournament is supposed to be benefiting would get $112.5.

Anyway, I am still in discussions with the people at holo-dek, and they really want it to be $10 for every person to the winners fund and $5 to NH Teen Institute. So it still could be changed.

Either way, the prize money is huge.

About your voucher, you would have to talk to the people at holo-dek about that. It sounds like it would waive you of it though, but don't quote me on that.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I know MA wouldn't be, at least. Our drivers hate driving.

...I need my license D:

Anyway I'll think about going.
What games do we have to play once the tournament is over?

All in all though I wouldn't say to expect more than 25 people. That's if you're lucky though.

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
Maybe so... but I'm not sure that anyone going to Philly on Saturday would be up here playing until midnight on Friday unless they are secretly robots!

As for other games available at our venue- pretty much anything you could ask for. PC/Wii/360/PS3!

Amazing food at the restaurant located in our venue too!

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
I know MA wouldn't be, at least. Our drivers hate driving.

...I need my license D:

Anyway I'll think about going.
What games do we have to play once the tournament is over?

All in all though I wouldn't say to expect more than 25 people. That's if you're lucky though.
That seems a little pessimistic... We already have 10 registered and 20 maybes from our regular croud! heh hopefully its more like 50 players!

Tis for a good cause as well.

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Done. :-)

By the way, we are expecting somewhere from 30-50 people to be there.

It's going to rock.

2nd Edit: I just posted the rules and small changes to the front page....Enjoy :-)

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Awesome, saturday!

Wait... is it still at 6pm? Brawl tourneys with 30-50 ppl take a long time...
Yeah we'll get back to you about that. I'm thinking like 4ish is good so people can show up early and play at the place and/or practice.

But yeah I'll let you know what goes down.

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
Yes, the date has officially been changed to Saturday, Feb 7th! Plan on being in no later than 2:00 p.m. with doors opening at Noon!

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
cool. I wont be there now.
Really? That sucks i was looking forward to meeting you. There was no way to keep it on Friday... we couldn't start it earlier cuz people have work/school, so Saturday was the only other option besides risking running out of time and having to resume on Saturday anyway.

Having it on Saturday will be more beneficial to participants because it will allow everyone to chill and brawl all day before and after the tourney!

So Fatal

Smash Master
Really? That sucks i was looking forward to meeting you. There was no way to keep it on Friday... we couldn't start it earlier cuz people have work/school, so Saturday was the only other option besides risking running out of time and having to resume on Saturday anyway.

Having it on Saturday will be more beneficial to participants because it will allow everyone to chill and brawl all day before and after the tourney!
well I hope it turns out well for you guys. I love Holo-dek, I've gone to all their halo tournaments in the past! Luke use to be the MAN if you knew him. Anyways I might actually be able to come. I'll let you know.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
ya theres a really good chance that i'll be going to cot4, and fatal, you can go in my car if you want, theres room. We're looking to get a hotel or split with other players from oos. If plans for cot4 fall through i'll go to this.

statfreak28

Smash Rookie
i would do the doubles tourney, but im already planning on spending 25 on the first tourney, and depending how long it takes and how far i go into the tourney i'll probably end up eating something too, maybe if you lowered the price down to 10 bucks per team to enter with half going to the winners pot more people would be inclined. the main reason people are going isthe singles, the doubles is really for fun

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Hey, I'm asking that if you are planning to go please RSVP on the AiB link or the facebook link (both preferred) just so we can get an idea for numbers.

Thanks!

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
i would do the doubles tourney, but im already planning on spending 25 on the first tourney, and depending how long it takes and how far i go into the tourney i'll probably end up eating something too, maybe if you lowered the price down to 10 bucks per team to enter with half going to the winners pot more people would be inclined. the main reason people are going isthe singles, the doubles is really for fun
Understood! You bring up a good point. If doubles is in fact mostly for fun, and players would rather put less into the prize pool, then the entrance fee may be lowered to $10 per player with half being donated to NH Teen. I'd like to leave this open to the players to comment on, and try to come to some consensus by the end of this week. If there isn't a nearly unanimous decision to change the cost then the double entrance fees will stay as they are!

Note:

Remember, this will cut the entrance fee by 1/3, the prize pool by 1/2, and the donation money will stay the same.

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Yooo you might want to consider adding at least Luigi's Manion & Pictochat to the banned stages list... pretty much no tournaments have them legal.
That's a good point. I didn't catch that.

I just copied and pasted the rule list from the SBR rules and only considered weather or not to ban the stages in the "ban/counterpick" category.

.....Wait those two are in the counterpick category for the SBR rules? I can understand pictochat, but Luigi's mansion is a big cave of immortality.

Anyway I'll take those off. Thanks

statfreak28

Smash Rookie
i meant 10 bucks per team, i'm not trying to skimp out, i'm really not, its just that I'm already committed to 25 bucks to get in and participate in the singles, then at least another 10 on food depending on how long im there, plus i gotta give gas money to my ride.

Top Bottom