• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFreak's 3.02 Build - Officially retired

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to get these stages and add them to our game?
Yep. Use this tool to figure out which stage corresponds to which files, then extract the appropriate STGXXX.pac and st_XXX.rel from pf->stage->melee and pf->module respectively. Rename them to whatever stage in your own build you want to overwrite.

If you just want the stage expansion set, you can find it here: http://www.lakora.us/brawl/cep/6.02m/

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Yep. Use this tool to figure out which stage corresponds to which files, then extract the appropriate STGXXX.pac and st_XXX.rel from pf->stage->melee and pf->module respectively. Rename them to whatever stage in your own build you want to overwrite.

If you just want the stage expansion set, you can find it here: http://www.lakora.us/brawl/cep/6.02m/

Since these slots are added to the game, is there a special way to add music and Icons to them or is the process still the same. Thanks for the quick response, loving this community already.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226

Since these slots are added to the game, is there a special way to add music and Icons to them or is the process still the same. Thanks for the quick response, loving this community already.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I was actually a bit stupid, there's an easier way. Using the Stage Manager, right click on the stage you want to move, click Copy To... and save it to a new folder. This will export the PAC, REL, and all of the icons to the selected folder. Then you can modify the icons in Stage Manager (in your own build). Rename the PAC and REL appropriately and put them in the folders specified earlier. There's a Song Manager included in the same package; use that to modify the music for any stages, including custom stages. Refer to the Classic Expansion Pack documentation to see which song file lines up to which custom stage.

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
Yes, it is a very commendable community, to be certain. Miles better than that community present in the now-cancelled SSF2 Expansion Forums. My those were dark years. And it was run by a pedobear following the McCleodgaming fallout shortly before cancellation, if I recall correctly. The mere thought of that old hellspace disturbs me...

*shivers*

Apologies, please do continue NFreak; I simply mean to express my gratitude towards this forum. Though I do also wish to alert you that Great Bay seems to freeze for me after selecting it. I would also like to recommend swapping out Marth's colours for his alternate "Lodestar" costume with Lucina/Marth from Fire Emblem Awakening, and maybe even perhaps the final third colour with his newly revised Shadow Dragon costume. A good version of Lucina exists here (with both masked and unmasked versions present), and the ever-popular Shun_One has released a very expertly crafted version of the Shadow Dragon revision here.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why you're getting crashes. I've never had an issue with Great Bay either. What does your SD card file structure look like?

I did put in the Shadow Dragon Marth and put in two of his Awakening DLC style. These will be pushed with some other updates this weekend.

The Lucina model is awesome, but I try to avoid swapping out characters for other characters in their costumes (Diddy/Dixie and Olimar/Louie were the only big exceptions, mostly because they're similar enough and their soundbanks don't make much of a difference between the characters). If the PMBR tells us how to use their clone engine to add new characters, I'll look into putting Lucina in with the custom PSA that's out there (as well as Megaman, that one that currently goes over Ness).

REVENAUT1313

Smash Cadet
NNID
REVENAUT1313
Great build! This is pretty much where I was going with mine, so you saved me a lot of time and effort, Thanks!

REVENAUT1313

Smash Cadet
NNID
REVENAUT1313
I'm not sure why you're getting crashes. I've never had an issue with Great Bay either. What does your SD card file structure look like?

I did put in the Shadow Dragon Marth and put in two of his Awakening DLC style. These will be pushed with some other updates this weekend.

The Lucina model is awesome, but I try to avoid swapping out characters for other characters in their costumes (Diddy/Dixie and Olimar/Louie were the only big exceptions, mostly because they're similar enough and their soundbanks don't make much of a difference between the characters). If the PMBR tells us how to use their clone engine to add new characters, I'll look into putting Lucina in with the custom PSA that's out there (as well as Megaman, that one that currently goes over Ness).
I have some occasional freezes when trying to load levels. Just happened with Shadow Moses. Haven't gone back to double check, but I remembered it happened last night as well, just can't remember what stage. Also, the camera on Peach's Castle SSB64 is stuck so you'll want to replace the .PAC with this one: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=17541

I would love to get my hands on that clone engine... I like where your head's at, NFreak.

SenanSerat

Smash Rookie

Dude Lucina is ftw.
Also a Midna skin would be awesome as would a Master Chief for Captain F, just saying XD the only "complain" which is more of an observation is that it could use some more distinguished costumes instead of mere recolors but I do understand how hard must it be to come by quality content.

Do we have to download the whole thing again when you update or could we just have a replace folder with instructions to replace,add etc things to apply the newest changes?

Cheers

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Dude Lucina is ftw.
Also a Midna skin would be awesome as would a Master Chief for Captain F, just saying XD the only "complain" which is more of an observation is that it could use some more distinguished costumes instead of mere recolors but I do understand how hard must it be to come by quality content.

Do we have to download the whole thing again when you update or could we just have a replace folder with instructions to replace,add etc things to apply the newest changes?

Cheers
I'll see if I can put together a patch. Downloading the whole thing each time kinda sucks.

Yeah, I know a lot of those models are out there, and they're done pretty well, but like I said, I'm trying to keep the Smash Bros feel and mostly avoiding having costumes for characters that are completely different characters. I'm always looking to replace recolors when I can as long as the new costumes are the same character (or extremely similar, i.e. Olimar/Louie, Ganondorf/Phantom Ganon) and are high quality.

I have some occasional freezes when trying to load levels. Just happened with Shadow Moses. Haven't gone back to double check, but I remembered it happened last night as well, just can't remember what stage. Also, the camera on Peach's Castle SSB64 is stuck so you'll want to replace the .PAC with this one: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=17541

I would love to get my hands on that clone engine... I like where your head's at, NFreak.
Awesome, I was looking for that. I was waiting for a version updated to the 3.0 camera, but this should work for the meantime. I'll give it a try.

EDIT: I just checked, and the version included is actually Mewtwo2000's already. I'll try my hand at updating the camera myself.

About the occasional freezes, I'm not really sure what can be done about that. I used to see some when I first put this together, but not very often since, and since the stages that tend to cause more issues than others work more often than not, I don't know what could be causing it. I'll look into it.

Last edited:

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I was actually a bit stupid, there's an easier way. Using the Stage Manager, right click on the stage you want to move, click Copy To... and save it to a new folder. This will export the PAC, REL, and all of the icons to the selected folder. Then you can modify the icons in Stage Manager (in your own build). Rename the PAC and REL appropriately and put them in the folders specified earlier. There's a Song Manager included in the same package; use that to modify the music for any stages, including custom stages. Refer to the Classic Expansion Pack documentation to see which song file lines up to which custom stage.
Sweet! Gotcha going to look into it now.

PlayingRobot

Smash Rookie
NNID
JM
3DS FC
1263-6784-7845
Hey NFreak, do you think maybe you could add Mr.M as an alt. maybe?

SenanSerat

Smash Rookie
I'll see if I can put together a patch. Downloading the whole thing each time kinda sucks.

Yeah, I know a lot of those models are out there, and they're done pretty well, but like I said, I'm trying to keep the Smash Bros feel and mostly avoiding having costumes for characters that are completely different characters. I'm always looking to replace recolors when I can as long as the new costumes are the same character (or extremely similar, i.e. Olimar/Louie, Ganondorf/Phantom Ganon) and are high quality.
B-bu-but! Midna D;

REVENAUT1313

Smash Cadet
NNID
REVENAUT1313

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Hey NFreak, do you think maybe you could add Mr.M as an alt. maybe?
I'm not a fan of the model honestly, and changing Doctor Mario recolors is a **** because of the pills. I haven't really figured it out. It's pretty easy to replace a single costume though; like stock PM, this build is pretty moddable as long as you cover your bases.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I saw the V2 of it, but is there a way to insert it without having to replace a costume?
Not really, not unless the costume expansion code is modified, but I'm pretty sure it's pushed to the limit already.

PlayingRobot

Smash Rookie
NNID
JM
3DS FC
1263-6784-7845
Not really, not unless the costume expansion code is modified, but I'm pretty sure it's pushed to the limit already.
Thanks, I think I'll erase the black one for it. Good job anyway with your build, hope you get it to the limit!

SenanSerat

Smash Rookie

REVENAUT1313

Smash Cadet
NNID
REVENAUT1313
I'm not getting how this stage expansion mod works. I place all the files in the right place and non of the expand slots appeared in my game.
If you're using the Stage Expansion mod make sure you replace RSBE01.gct in the codes folder with the Stage Expansion's version!!! I had the same problem because I never noticed it but it is essential! Without it, the game won't know to display those stages on the stage select screen.

A great resource for modding tips can be found here:
http://smashboards.com/forums/tutorials-faqs-help.232/

I'm a noob too and I promise it's not as difficult as it looks, it just takes some trial and error.

Case in point, did you know you can put any stage mod into just about any stage slot if you replace the .rel file in the Modules folder? Just use this converter http://www.lakora.us/rel/. For example, I added a really cool stage called Brawl Galaxy over Pictochat (because I hate Pictochat). The Brawl Galaxy mod is designed to go over Battlefield, so all I had to do was use the .rel converter to give me a Battlefield .rel renamed as st_pictchat.rel so that the game wouldn't crash when loading it. In fact, NFreak, it's a really cool stage; you should try it out and consider putting it in a future build. (It goes perfectly with the Melee Opening Theme!)

Last edited:

REVENAUT1313

Smash Cadet
NNID
REVENAUT1313
BTW, NFreak, I need a changelog for your stages. I want to replace Peach's Castle 64 but I'm not sure if it's in the same slot as the Classic Expansion. Is it Custom1D?

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
BTW, NFreak, I need a changelog for your stages. I want to replace Peach's Castle 64 but I'm not sure if it's in the same slot as the Classic Expansion. Is it Custom1D?
You can check that with Brawl Stage Manager, you just select the folder where you have your stages and you'll see all of them

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
If you're using the Stage Expansion mod make sure you replace RSBE01.gct in the codes folder with the Stage Expansion's version!!! I had the same problem because I never noticed it but it is essential! Without it, the game won't know to display those stages on the stage select screen.

I'm a noob too and I promise it's not as difficult as it looks, it just takes some trial and error.

Case in point, did you know you can put any stage mod into just about any stage slot if you replace the .rel file in the Modules folder? Just use this converter http://www.lakora.us/rel/. For example, I added a really cool stage called Brawl Galaxy over Pictochat (because I hate Pictochat). The Brawl Galaxy mod is designed to go over Battlefield, so all I had to do was use the .rel converter to give me a Battlefield .rel renamed as st_pictchat.rel so that the game wouldn't crash when loading it. In fact, NFreak, it's a really cool stage; you should try it out and consider putting it in a future build. (It goes perfectly with the Melee Opening Theme!)

The stage thing you were referring to .rel I noticed that when I downloaded stages and read the read me files and some of the users were saying "If you want to place the stage over another stage just replace the st_(stage name).rel and thanks again ill look into it.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I

Holy crap that looks amazing. I just replaced PictoChat with the Chibi-Robo Living Room, but I really really want to put this in now. Any feedback as to which stage I should overwrite?

EDIT: Replaced Melee Yoshi's Island, I can't name a single person I know who likes that map.

Last edited:

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
That does seem to be the most troublesome map. I want to look into this. Are you using hackless, homebrew, or Dolphin?
Hackless.

Oh, and if I may add? I'd like to change the techno music in the current Mega Man stage to a rock version that's closer to the original feel of Mega Man. How would I go about doing this?

Last edited:

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Hackless.

Oh, and if I may add? I'd like to change the techno music in the current Mega Man stage to a rock version that's closer to the original feel of Mega Man. How would I go about doing this?
I'll take a look.
EDIT: I actually just tried on Dolphin before going to test on the Wii, and it's actually crashing already. Strange, it was working earlier. I'll mess with it a bit. I might just revert it back to stock Shadow Moses until I can find a better Metal Gear themed stage.
Double Edit: Seems like it was an issue with the .rel, I must've moved things around and ended up breaking that one. I'll give it some more thorough testing before updating.

To change the music, find a BRSTM you like (there are a few threads here, also try http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/ when it's back up), open projectm->pf->sound->strm and replace X13.brstm to the one you want to put in. I might actually change this in the next version though, I found a great recreation of the SSB4 Megaman reveal trailer theme. I just can't get the BRSTM right now.

By the way, I don't know if I'll be able to make a patch this time, but I'll look into it. If I can't, I'll put one together next time.

Last edited:

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
To change the music, find a BRSTM you like (there are a few threads here, also try http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/ when it's back up), open projectm->pf->sound->strm and replace X13.brstm to the one you want to put in. I might actually change this in the next version though, I found a great recreation of the SSB4 Megaman reveal trailer theme. I just can't get the BRSTM right now.
Thank you. I'm well aware of how exactly to replace existing music, but the nature of the additional stages had made me cautious and admittedly dumbfounded as to how to go about replacing it. Thanks to you though, I now know that it is as simple as finding out the BRSTM's reference ID. Oh, and just in case you still need help in converting the song into a BRSTM, this should do swimmingly.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226

What about the files from the other folder? All I need is the file from the code folder right?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
What about the files from the other folder? All I need is the file from the code folder right?
You actually will need the other files. If you don't have anything modded already in your versions of those files, go ahead and replace them. Otherwise, you have to go through the tedious process of moving your modded stuff into the CEP versions. Sucks, but it is what it is. The reason is that those files add in slots for the new map icons, without them it would probably crash as soon as you go to the stage select screen.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Finalizing the newest version now. In the meantime, here's the changelog. Check the first post for new screenshots.

Unfortunately I couldn't make a patch for this one, but I'll try to keep that in mind for the next release.

STAGE UPDATES
- Updated Bowser's Castle (lagless and improved)
- Updated Hazardless Halberd
- Updated Kongo Jungle Melee
- Replaced Frigate Orpheon with updated version (still transforms, but gravity effects are not as drastic, moving platform on version 1 is now grabbable, and no moving platforms on version 2)
- Replaced PictoChat with Brawl Galaxy
- Replaced Yoshi's Island (Melee) with Chibi-Robo Living Room
- Replaced WarioWare with Mewtwo Stadium
- Replaced Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) with balanced version
- Replaced Rainbow Cruise with Wing Cap Tower
- Replaced Brinstar Depths with competitive version
- Replaced Hyrule Castle 64 and Yoshi's Island 64 with HD versions
- Fixed Shadow Moses crashing issue
- Swapped Pictochat and Bowser's Castle for music purposes*
* Pictochat now has a single music track and Bowser's has a bunch of new music. The stage select screen locations are unchanged.
- Music updated accordingly for new stages

COSTUMES AND ICONS
- Added 4 new colors for Mr Game & Watch
- Fixed the antenna lights of custom Olimar skins not displaying
- Replaced Blue Brawl Link with Twilight Princess Zora gear Link
- Fixed Marth custom costumes (inc CSPs, BPs)
* I accidentally replaced all of his original costumes minus one with the Awakening versions. I've restored these, put in two customs from Awakening, and two from Shadow Dragon.
- Updated a lot of CSPs to be more in line with default poses (still needs work)
- Changed Shadow Mewtwo to Theytah's version

MISC
- Moved some things around on Stage Select Screen

Last edited:

Albert Bach

Smash Rookie
Hi, I love your build and everything about it, and I also think that the music you put on is great. The only issue, though, is that whenever I try to replace a song on fd, the song won't be replaced. The song in question is Awakening Chaos from Blazblue, which I got from the vault, and I have used it in the past on my own builds and it worked. The song automatically comes in X05.btrsm, I dragged and dropped it in sound like normal, and it failed to work. I then changed it to W25 or fd(melee), yet it still failed. Do you have any idea why this is happening by any chance?

Top Bottom