• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFreak's 3.02 Build - Officially retired

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
4GB SDHC card here, works fine on my console. A few of the new stages have noticeable slowdown but they're still playable.
The Beginning stage freezes my Wii though :(
Does it? That was actually included in the stage expansion set and hasn't crashed for me. I'll check that out as soon as I get a chance.

NO@H

Smash Journeyman
Definitely, all suggestions are welcome.

Actually, quick question. I'm looking to get into stage creation if only to make a better version of New Pork City, and I can't find any good tutorials anywhere. Would you happen to know a good one, or can give me a quick rundown of what I would have to do? I'm hoping this wouldn't be too difficult for a beginner, but I could be wrong.
Shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help you out.

As far as recommendations go, I'll post them as they come to me. I would look to replace the original Pirate Ship with one that superguzzi made, that doesn't have any of the hazards. I also had a bad lag issue with Bowser's keep, and if The Beginning stage crashes that would also be something to look into

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
4GB SDHC card here, works fine on my console. A few of the new stages have noticeable slowdown but they're still playable.
The Beginning stage freezes my Wii though :(
Maybe you're not using .rel file. I had the beggining in my build but deleted it to make place for Wuhu Plane Ride
I've read a lot about people complaining about lag, but I haven't experienced it in any stage and I don't understand why do you guys experience lag

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help you out.

As far as recommendations go, I'll post them as they come to me. I would look to replace the original Pirate Ship with one that superguzzi made, that doesn't have any of the hazards. I also had a bad lag issue with Bowser's keep, and if The Beginning stage crashes that would also be something to look into
There are two versions of Bowser's Keep, the most recent one does not cause any lag and it's amazing
Would you like me to send it to you?

Mr.GamBit

Smash Rookie
i downloaded it but it was still the same vanilla project m 3.02 version except with some few alt costumes, not all the stages, but the sound was different.
the stage selection screen didnt look anything like the screenshot
Same issue for me. I've read something about making it Wifi-safe? I'm not interested in that at all but how do you do that? Because all I did was copy the files to my SD card.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
There are two versions of Bowser's Keep, the most recent one does not cause any lag and it's amazing
Would you like me to send it to you?
If it's been updated, mind sending me the update too? I'd really appreciate it, I can't seem to find it myself.

I did check The Beginning, and it's working fine for me. If you took the stage out of my build and put it into your own, make sure you take the appropriate .rel file from the Module folder.

Same issue for me. I've read something about making it Wifi-safe? I'm not interested in that at all but how do you do that? Because all I did was copy the files to my SD card.
I've run into this a few times when testing the hackless method with both my build and stock Project M. Try flipping the lock switch on your SD card and give it a few more tries, and if that doesn't work, reformat your SD card, copy everything onto it again, and give it another go.

I'll take a look at the updated Pirate Ship, I might put it in next update. I'm pretty fond of the map the way it is though, except for that bull**** launcher at the front, but I'll give it a try.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I think you tried to make it Wifi-Safe, that's what it looks incomplete.
The stage expansion pack doesn't work as wifi-safe

Mr.GamBit

Smash Rookie
But how do you make it Wifi-safe? All I did was format my SD card and copy all the contents of the folder to the root.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
But how do you make it Wifi-safe? All I did was format my SD card and copy all the contents of the folder to the root.
Make sure your SD card isn't named "Project M", "projectm" or anything similar. Try flipping the lock switch on the card, give it another try then. If that doesn't work, reformat the card and try again. Unfortunately there's not much I can really do about this, I've seen this issue with both my build and stock Project M.

Thanks for the updated Bowser's Keep, I'll push the latest update sometime tonight. I've also fixed the antenna lights for the 3 additional Olimar costumes.

Mr.GamBit

Smash Rookie
Hmm, well I've tried it two times again, the card has the factory name and when I turn the lock on the game freezes after selecting a stage. Is there a file or folder I can add/delete/change that makes non wifi-safe? If that is the issue.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, well I've tried it two times again, the card has the factory name and when I turn the lock on the game freezes after selecting a stage. Is there a file or folder I can add/delete/change that makes non wifi-safe? If that is the issue.
It's not WiFi safe, I believe that was a misunderstanding. Does stock Project M work for you?

Mr.GamBit

Smash Rookie
Makes sense, since I wasn't doing anything to the files.
Yes, I'm using the home-brew full set, using a channel to load through USB. I've tried a few custom builds and they worked.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Makes sense, since I wasn't doing anything to the files.
Yes, I'm using the home-brew full set, using a channel to load through USB. I've tried a few custom builds and they worked.
Interesting. Most of the issues I've seen were with hackless. Before I started using Dolphin, I've been using the homebrew method myself. Just for troubleshooting, can you try loading it up with the hackless method to see if you have the same issue? (Good lord I feel like I'm at work :p).

Also, what exactly are you using for a USB loader?

EDIT: Just found something out. If you're using the CFG USB Loader, you need to replace the code file.
"The codes file from Project M also needs to be placed in the /usb-loader/codes folder on your SD card"
You probably just need to copy the code file from my build into this folder (overwriting anything that's in there - make sure you back up the one in there already if you want to back to stock Project M or try another build!).

Last edited:

Mr.GamBit

Smash Rookie
Awesome, it works now! Love all the stages you have. Sorry for all the hassle.

On a side note, when comparing your screenshots to my in-game footage, yours look really sharp and polished. Any idea why that is? My game doesn't look as pretty.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, it works now! Love all the stages you have. Sorry for all the hassle.

On a side note, when comparing your screenshots to my in-game footage, yours look really sharp and polished. Any idea why that is? My game doesn't look as pretty.
My screenshots were taken on an emulator (I don't have the tools to take screenshots directly from the console).

Question. Is there anyone here who's pretty good at making CSPs in default poses? I've been trying to, and I updated a bunch already, but the method I'm using (using the trophy models in BrawlBox) only seems to work for retextured models, not for models with additional vertices (i.e. masked Dedede, Thor Pikachu). If someone with some more experience wants to help out with CSPs, let me know.

Last edited:

PlayingRobot

Smash Rookie
NNID
JM
3DS FC
1263-6784-7845
Could you add more costumes? And if possible more stages? I know it's hard work so it doesn't matter if you can't.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Released the new and updated Bowser's Castle not too long ago, you can grab it either in Splat's thread, my own thread, or Brawl Vault itself.

Comes with all the portraits and about 7 songs I think, maybe 8.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Released the new and updated Bowser's Castle not too long ago, you can grab it either in Splat's thread, my own thread, or Brawl Vault itself.

Comes with all the portraits and about 7 songs I think, maybe 8.
I saw earlier, awesome work! I'll throw it in ASAP.

EDIT:

So I'll most likely post a new build tonight, and if not, it'll come this weekend. Here's the changelog in advance.

- Updated Bowser's Castle (lagless and improved)
- Updated Hazardless Halberd
- Swapped Pictochat and Bowser's Castle for music purposes*
* Pictochat now has a single music track and Bowser's has a bunch of new music. The stage select screen locations are unchanged.
- Fixed the antenna lights of custom Olimar skins not displaying
- Replaced Blue Brawl Link with Twilight Princess Zora gear Link
- Fixed Marth custom costumes (inc CSPs, BPs)
* I accidentally replaced all of his original costumes minus one with the Awakening versions. I've restored these, put in two customs from Awakening, and two from Shadow Dragon.
- Updated a lot of CSPs to be more in line with default poses (still needs work)

Last edited:

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
Selecting any stage in the "My Music" section causes the game to freeze.
I'm typically a very collected man. But having to take notes as to which added song is allocated to which vBrawl song by looking up their names in the actual data files and then researching the original song in order to test it, then having to reset the game and adjust accordingly in vBrawl is an... infuriating process, to put it modestly.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Selecting any stage in the "My Music" section causes the game to freeze.
I'm typically a very collected man. But having to take notes as to which added song is allocated to which vBrawl song by looking up their names in the actual data files and then researching the original song in order to test it, then having to reset the game and adjust accordingly in vBrawl is an... infuriating process, to put it modestly.
If you're selecting stages with the X marks, that will crash the game, it's a side effect of the stage expansion code that I have no control over. Any stage with an actual icon should work (I've gone through and tested every one of them), and song names should be updated.

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
If you're selecting stages with the X marks, that will crash the game, it's a side effect of the stage expansion code that I have no control over. Any stage with an actual icon should work (I've gone through and tested every one of them), and song names should be updated.
Thank you, that worked splendidly. Though now I've noticed that after playing a stage with an unnamed song, the next stage will occasionally play that very same song. This is corrected after restarting the round and choosing that stage again, but I simply wish to bring this to your attention nonetheless.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Thank you, that worked splendidly. Though now I've noticed that after playing a stage with an unnamed song, the next stage will occasionally play that very same song. This is corrected after restarting the round and choosing that stage again, but I simply wish to bring this to your attention nonetheless.
I've actually come across this one, but only in training mode. It's another side effect of the CEP code unfortunately.

About the Pictochat change, I felt that most of the music on this stage was pretty much filler, and it's a crappy stage anyway. The track left is the default theme for that stage. I noticed that even though there are a buttload of Mario stages, the awesome Bowser themes were few and far between, so I wanted to put a bunch on this updated stage.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I was thinking about something...could the reason some of you are experiencing lag during matches be the fact that you have a lot of custom costumes?
I wanna try the costume expansion tool but I'm not really sure of how to do it, could you explain me how you managed to pull it off?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about something...could the reason some of you are experiencing lag during matches be the fact that you have a lot of custom costumes?
I wanna try the costume expansion tool but I'm not really sure of how to do it, could you explain me how you managed to pull it off?
It very well could be an issue, but I haven't noticed much of a difference yet with or without. It's only on particular maps typically, and those maps are usually just really intensive and need optimization.

I'd help out with the tool, but honestly I didn't even use it for this build, it wasn't 3.0 ready when I put this together. I compared the default Project M 3.0 GCT with 3.0 + Costume Expansion from a reddit post, cut out the different code and pasted it into the 3.02 GCT. From my understanding the tool does the same thing for you.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Ok I'll give it a try
BTW, is it true that if I don't fill all the costume slots the game freezes?
I want to have more costumes for some characters but I don't think I can get enough for all of them

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Ok I'll give it a try
BTW, is it true that if I don't fill all the costume slots the game freezes?
I want to have more costumes for some characters but I don't think I can get enough for all of them
It'll only freeze if one of those is selected, but be careful because CPU opponents can try to use custom slots too. There's a filler pack around that puts placeholder costumes in, but I can't remember where I found that. Search for "cbliss fillers" and it should come up.

SenanSerat

Smash Rookie
I am fairly disappointed.

I downloaded this for about 4 hours, tried to play it but the game didn't boot.Once I launch the launcher from the homebrew channel it opens the game as if it was the Wii plain version, then if I go to the character selection screen it freezes (and screeches) until its plugged off, so yeah no costumes or anything here.

Just in case I extracted the whole rar. into my SD card which only had the home brew (letterbomb) folder.Also the launcher said it was for 1.3 or so.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I am fairly disappointed.

I downloaded this for about 4 hours, tried to play it but the game didn't boot.Once I launch the launcher from the homebrew channel it opens the game as if it was the Wii plain version, then if I go to the character selection screen it freezes (and screeches) until its plugged off, so yeah no costumes or anything here.

Just in case I extracted the whole rar. into my SD card which only had the home brew (letterbomb) folder.Also the launcher said it was for 1.3 or so.
Interesting. Like I said all three methods work fine on my end and I've confirmed the same from others. I just want to be sure, "apps", "projectm", and "code" are all on the root of your SD card, not in another folder? You can actually delete "private" and all the non-folder files off of your SD card, those are in there for the hackless method, but that shouldn't make a difference as running the homebrew method, the system won't even read those files.

And did the launcher actually say 1.3? If it said 3.01, that's actually right; it's a minor issue with a lot of custom builds. This actually is 3.02, but because of the custom files, the launcher thinks it's 3.01. Don't expect to be able to update this with the launcher in the future, I'll post updates.

PlayingRobot

Smash Rookie
NNID
JM
3DS FC
1263-6784-7845
NFreak, is the updated version coming out tonight? Or you'll just release it on the weekend?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
NFreak, is the updated version coming out tonight? Or you'll just release it on the weekend?
I'll put it out this weekend. A lot came up today so I haven't had time to fix what I wanted to, and I just finished taking screenshots to update a bunch of CSPs, so I may as well just put it all up at once.

SenanSerat

Smash Rookie
Interesting. Like I said all three methods work fine on my end and I've confirmed the same from others. I just want to be sure, "apps", "projectm", and "code" are all on the root of your SD card, not in another folder? You can actually delete "private" and all the non-folder files off of your SD card, those are in there for the hackless method, but that shouldn't make a difference as running the homebrew method, the system won't even read those files.

And did the launcher actually say 1.3? If it said 3.01, that's actually right; it's a minor issue with a lot of custom builds. This actually is 3.02, but because of the custom files, the launcher thinks it's 3.01. Don't expect to be able to update this with the launcher in the future, I'll post updates.
I'll do this. I gonna delete whatever folders I have and copy the files again in my root, just in case.And then I'll be back to you. After all I am quite confused on the behavior of this failure (launching the regular version of brawl and all)

SenanSerat

Smash Rookie
Made it work, for future reference if you're new like me, get the files out of the folder and into the root, not with the folder.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Does it? That was actually included in the stage expansion set and hasn't crashed for me. I'll check that out as soon as I get a chance.
Is it possible to get these stages and add them to our game?

Top Bottom