• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Yeah, sorry, I don't see it. Hovering and shielding from below are replacements for Dixie's and Cranky's abilities anyways.
Tricks as attacks would be neat but it's not enough to cover a whole moveset.

Plus, if it's about making a moveset about one concept, Dixie is the better choice anyways. Her hair lets her float, propel upwards, smash stuff, grab things, torpedo, and she has way more material to work with in general.
Call me crazy but hard disagree here.

Dixie should absolutely be the next in line for DK and she has more than enough to be a unique newcomer over the Diddy echo people always suggest.

However, despite being a less important side character, I'd actually argue Funky has more move set potential if you work with the surfing/mechanic angle. Yes, it would involve more creative liberties expanding on those particular aspects, but it offers more than Dixie using her hair as an extra limb. Her hair does have a lot of utility but she's no Milia/Filia in terms of sheer versatility.

Let me be perfectly clear, I'm not placing greater value on Funky Kong or saying Dixie's concept is worse off, but the things we know about Funky Kong combined with his limited usage actually work to his benefit in this case. Essentially, Funky has more options and creative freedom. There's a foundation for an interesting concept without being beholden to including a lot of specifics.

I'd still place Funky well behind Dixie and even Cranky as far as priority goes, but I think people often undersell a lot of characters' potential just because they aren't seen as likely.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If the argument is that Funky doesn't work well as a clone the result of that would just be it's less likely he'd be on the roster at all then.
I don't think he's likely at all, even as a clone. Nor do I think he couldn't work as one. Just saying there's potential there as far as a unique move set goes. It doesn't even take much creativity at all in a case like Funky's, hence why I find it a bit dismissive to claim he has little or none.

If we're talking actual likelihood then sure, an echo is probably the best chance Funky has.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I don't think he's likely at all, even as a clone. Nor do I think he couldn't work as one. Just saying there's potential there as far as a unique move set goes. It doesn't even take much creativity at all in a case like Funky's, hence why I find it a bit dismissive to claim he has little or none.

If we're talking actual likelihood then sure, an echo is probably the best chance Funky has.
Right, well that post was directed at those who were questioning his ability to be a feasible echo, not those who weren't...

7NATOR

Smash Master
This always causes contention when I raise it but Funky seems very much to me to be a character completely capable of uniqueness, yet one that won't get in unless he's at most a semi-clone. I don't deny his potential, I just don't think we'd get him unless it was padding.

I had similar sentiments about Daisy and Dark Samus, as I do about Shadow and Octoling.

People take it to mean I'm advocating for unoriginality, but I'm just trying to be realistic.
You know, considering that Sega is considering this year to be the Year of Shadow...

It's very weird to have this Sentiment, since Shadow is about to the main draw of the 3rd Sonic movie, as well as having his own Campaign in Sonic X Shadow where he's actually going to use his Abilities, in a Franchise that is still among the most Iconic to this day. He's also one of those Casual Requests fro Smash that has endured for a while now

Which seems like the opposite of Padding. This is the most relevant Shadow is going to be in a good while, and looking at how the other 3rd Party echoes were done (Richter more sharing the moveset with Simon and Ken being Ken) I think there's no way Shadow is getting sidelined to echo Status. Even If I wasn't biased, The Circumstances around Shadow doesn't match the sentiment that he would be padded character

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
I'm not against Funky being mostly based around his surfboard, but I'd still want to see some of his inventions as specials or whatnot, especially his boot rocket launcher.
Wheter it ends up in his moveset or not, he gotta at least take this out and flex it for a taunt.

If he gets in and doesn't have some of the best taunts/win screens in general my disappointment would be immeasurable and my day will be ruined.

So, what kind of voice should Funky have?

If it is generic gorilla noises, I would say “No! None of that! Shame on you!” to Sakurai.
I don't really mind DK and Diddy having animal noises, but regardless of how you feel about those two, that absolutely would not work for Funky like everyone else has said.

That would be a funny contrast though. I wanna see it now. Diddy and DK making animal noises in Smash 6 while Funky just speaks normal. lmao

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Call me crazy but hard disagree here.

Dixie should absolutely be the next in line for DK and she has more than enough to be a unique newcomer over the Diddy echo people always suggest.

However, despite being a less important side character, I'd actually argue Funky has more move set potential if you work with the surfing/mechanic angle. Yes, it would involve more creative liberties expanding on those particular aspects, but it offers more than Dixie using her hair as an extra limb. Her hair does have a lot of utility but she's no Milia/Filia in terms of sheer versatility.

Let me be perfectly clear, I'm not placing greater value on Funky Kong or saying Dixie's concept is worse off, but the things we know about Funky Kong combined with his limited usage actually work to his benefit in this case. Essentially, Funky has more options and creative freedom. There's a foundation for an interesting concept without being beholden to including a lot of specifics.

I'd still place Funky well behind Dixie and even Cranky as far as priority goes, but I think people often undersell a lot of characters' potential just because they aren't seen as likely.
I mean, by this logic most random bosses and NPCs would have more potential than any actually established character. I'm not sure that's the case and I don't think that's the way Smash has ever really operated.
But even with that approach I'd be more interested in Cranky filling a moveset with stereotypical grumpy old man stuff. Make him throw dentures, hit you with a rolled up newspaper, suffer backpain, scold you and all that kind of stuff.

Dixie on the other hand has more tangible abilities, for example Smash is 80 characters in and her classic float still hasn't been replicated. And there's no character with an extra limb either, iirc (maybe Ivysaur's vines? But it's not really the same thing). That's already a strong foundation to make her a unique character, and she still has quite a few games to pull from to fill up the rest of the moveset.

As for Funky, I don't know. How do you even translate the fact that he's a mechanic into a fighting game?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
You know, considering that Sega is considering this year to be the Year of Shadow...
Oh, is Sega choosing the roster now?

It's very weird to have this Sentiment, since Shadow is about to the main draw of the 3rd Sonic movie,
So he's the fifth(?) main character to actually make it into the movie franchise.

as well as having his own Campaign in Sonic X Shadow where he's actually going to use his Abilities, in a Franchise that is still among the most Iconic to this day.
Like you noted, it's a big franchise. A remaster isn't going to shift the paradigm

He's also one of those Casual Requests fro Smash that has endured for a while now
So are the other three

Which seems like the opposite of Padding. This is the most relevant Shadow is going to be in a good while, and looking at how the other 3rd Party echoes were done (Richter more sharing the moveset with Simon and Ken being Ken) I think there's no way Shadow is getting sidelined to echo Status. Even If I wasn't biased, The Circumstances around Shadow doesn't match the sentiment that he would be padded character
You're never going to entertain anything other than the best for Shadow though, so I don't think continued discourse on this will really get us anywhere.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh, is Sega choosing the roster now?

So he's the fifth(?) main character to actually make it into the movie franchise.

Like you noted, it's a big franchise. A remaster isn't going to shift the paradigm

So are the other three

You're never going to entertain anything other than the best for Shadow though, so I don't think continued discourse on this will really get us anywhere.
I might be biased, but I can also be realistic. Shadow's Circumstances aren't perfect. Sonic as a Franchise in General is still much more niche in Japan than anywhere else, despite Sonic Frontiers actually being the most popular Sonic game in Japan in awhile. Shadow isn't in that game so that doesn't apply to him Unfortunately

And Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman have more frequent appearances overall , so they might be more recognizable and in terms of bodytype aren't as Similar to Sonic, as well as Shadow sharing most, if not all the abilities of Sonic

In spite of that though, Shadow is not a Character that I would consider to be Echo Material, or padding character. His Toolset with his Chaos Powers, along with his Darker Personality allowing a more Aggressive/brutal Fighting style compared to Sonic, I think has way too much potential to pass up, and is something that can bring something new to the Roster Gameplay wise. The main thing though is unlike most of the Echo Characters we have gotten, Shadow has/will always be relevant to his Particular Franchise

Lucina, Dark Pit, Dark Samus (Especially), and Chrom cannot say the same thing. Whether due to the franchise itself not being relevant, the Games always having new protagonists, or the Character being canonically dead, the circumstances doesn't favor them getting in unless as an echo. Daisy is an exception on the relevance standpoint, but the Material in terms of moveset can't compare to Shadow

and the fact is that Shadow's Popularity is too big to ignore. Despite being a more recent character, more Controversial character, and not making as frequent of appearances, Shadow's popularity still is 2nd only to Sonic, which I think is a big deal

Sega isn't choosing the roster, but I think with the knowledge that he's going to Headline the movie and the fact that the Character is as popular as he is, to this day, means that there is Reason for Nintendo/Sakurai to have him in the roster as a real character.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I mean, by this logic most random bosses and NPCs would have more potential than any actually established character. I'm not sure that's the case and I don't think that's the way Smash has ever really operated.
I wouldn't go that far. Obviously, I'm not going to advocate for a random unnamed NPC in the corner of "x" town in "y" game or whatever. Funky isn't a frontrunner but he's not a "random NPC." He's a decently known and liked supporting cast member of a prominent* first party series.

Like I said in the previous post, it's not the idea that they could do absolutely anything they wanted with his kit, but there's enough to form a concept while allowing for some creative freedom like with CF or Fox.

And just to clarify I don't think "blank slate" = move set potential. Funky (and other supporting characters like him,) have some established traits to use as a basis but few/no specific abilities that people would deem as things they need to have. I don't think they can give anyone anything. Funky would still have to operate within the surfer motif and what the other Kongs can do but there's more flexibility for him compared to others.

Dixie on the other hand has more tangible abilities, for example Smash is 80 characters in and her classic float still hasn't been replicated. And there's no character with an extra limb either, iirc (maybe Ivysaur's vines? But it's not really the same thing). That's already a strong foundation to make her a unique character, and she still has quite a few games to pull from to fill up the rest of the moveset.
And I completely agree here, I even said as much in the previous post. I think Dixie should be the priority.

My point was simply that while Dixie has more moves/abilities she's actually used in her playable appearances the core concept is still more limited. It's more than enough for a completely unique kit but I think you'd agree that if we imagine her move set it's mostly going to be whacking/grabbing stuff with her ponytail and a few standard physical attacks, right? (Plus, the Gumball Popgun.)

By virtue of having less established abilities, they have the option of getting more creative with Funky's concept. He has more potential options without being a completely blank slate. There are more expectations for how Dixie should be versus how Funky should be portrayed.

As for Funky, I don't know. How do you even translate the fact that he's a mechanic into a fighting game?
It could manifest it a lot of different ways depending on which angle you want to approach it from or how much of the mechanic side of things you even want in the move set. Could be as simple as having him hold a wrench to hit people with in some normals. You could tie it back to actual items from the games like giving him the Coconut Gun he sells to DK, the orange grenades, etc. Maybe give him a move based on Funky's Flights either as a recovery or maybe a mini version as a sort of drone projectile.

At least how I imagine it, it'd lean into the stuff he's made more so than actively making things during a fight. Then you combine that with the surfer motif for moves based on surfing tricks/techniques and the fact that he's a Kong for a few more standard strong physical attacks.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
A subject that just came back to my mind:
I remember back in the day, I saw people telling others that characters, like for example: Adol from Ys, Laharl from Disgaea, Reimu from Touhou, Lest from Rune Factory, Klonoa...etc are not possible because they would not generate enough Fighter Pass sales. Does every single fighter in a Fighter Pass really need to drive a lot of sales ? I think one hype character at the beginning would sell a lot of passes. Plus, I imagine a lot of Smash fans would buy them even without knowing any of the characters in the Fighter Pass anyway.

I don’t know; it always seemed more like gatekeeping certain series from Smash than an actual concern. I mean, I doubt Min Min pushed that many sales on Fighter Pass 2… and she’s there anyway.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If the argument is that Funky doesn't work well as a clone the result of that would just be it's less likely he'd be on the roster at all then.
That's the case of every character where people complain about them being an Echo.

"They shouldn't just be an Echo!"
"Well get used to living without them then. Cause that's the only way they were getting in."

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
My two cents: that one picture kinda says it, I don't think Funky would look good doing DK's moveset. He would be too awkward and out-of-character digging that deep into those rawly animalistic actions and poses. He'd have to be changed up enough that, at that point, you're not getting him in for much if any less work than Dixie, who I'd rather have first.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
The surfer concept for Funky is cool but still. Daisy fans spent more than a decade arguing about her supposed uniqueness and she still got in as a clone because that's what fits her best. Seriously, why are people still treating being a clone like it's a bad thing?

Also, using a mod to justify your standpoint is the ultimate reach. Try modding Dark Samus over Samus. Looks wrong doesn't it? The official development team would obviously make adjustments that would change things up. And I don't think they care about what fans deem "OOC" anyway; Daisy has a Toad and Dark Samus can use Screw Attack.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I remember back in the day, I saw people telling others that characters, like for example: Adol from Ys, Laharl from Disgaea, Reimu from Touhou, Lest from Rune Factory, Klonoa...etc are not possible because they would not generate enough Fighter Pass sales. Does every single fighter in a Fighter Pass really need to drive a lot of sales ? I think one hype character at the beginning would sell a lot of passes. Plus, I imagine a lot of Smash fans would buy them even without knowing any of the characters in the Fighter Pass anyway.

I don’t know; it always seemed more like gatekeeping certain series from Smash than an actual concern. I mean, I doubt Min Min pushed that many sales on Fighter Pass 2… and she’s there anyway.
I think I remember the slide in one of Nintendo's Investor presentations that Fighter Pass 2 had already pushed good sales without any character actually being available yet

With that being said, I do think there are people out there that either wait to buy the Entire pass, or they just buy Individual characters, So I think Bigger characters are going to fare better in working as DLC Characters.

I do think Smaller characters, and Smaller 3rd parties can work, so long as they really appeal to a Niche, and their Implementation in Smash gameplay wise is cool and Fun. Terry is an example of people who people aren't familiar with, but he appeals to Fighting game fans and Latin America, and he's pretty cool

DLC is very risky though, because the attachment rate is usually much less than with Base game, so I think Bigger characters need to be there in balance with Smaller/Niche characters to make sure the attachment stays at a good rate, and the game still gets an substansial attention. Sora, despite being the last character announced for Ultimate almost 3 years after the game came out, still brought alot of attention to the game, and there by attention to other DLC for those just catching up

It's also to note that Fighter Pass 2, the later pass, actually had the bigger Characters in appeal, globally wise compared to Fighter Pass 1, perhaps because they could better handle being released later as the game gets older and older

So I don't think Every character needs to be at a level where they could sell a whole pass, but I do think there still won't be too many Niche characters in the DLC

I'd also say for this Next Smash game, characters like Reimu and Adol could actually benefit more from being in the base roster instead of DLC. They'd have more chance of getting more attention that way and they'd be cool additions in the $60 game package

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So the recent echo discussions has caused me to choose an echo for each character (including echoes)

Some of them I feel like I kinda cooked, most of them suck. You can absolutely tell when I ran out of ideas and just selected a character that is vaguely the same shape

I also tried (and failed) to not do cross series echoes.

Main FighterEcho
MarioMetal Mario
Donkey KongRabbid Kong
LinkUrbosa
SamusRaven Beak
YoshiBoshi
KirbyWaddle Dee
FoxNeon White
PikachuPawmot
LuigiGooigi
NessPaula
Captain FalconBlood Falcon
JigglypuffIgglybuff
PeachPrincess Shroob
BowserMidbus
Ice ClimbersBaby Bros.
SheikImpa
ZeldaThe Oracles
Dr. MarioDr. Luigi
PichuMimikyu
FalcoFaye Spaniel
MarthLeif
Young LinkRavio
GanondorfPhantom Ganon
MewtwoDeoxys
RoyEliwood
Mr. Game & WatchMarshal
Meta KnightMorpho Knight
PitFighter
Zero Suit SamusGandrayda
WarioThief Wario
SnakeLiquid Snake
IkeBlack Knight
SquirtleDewott
IvysaurShaymin
CharizardGarchomp
Diddy KongDixie Kong
LucasKumatora
SonicBlaze
King DededeMasked Dedede
OlimarLouie
LucarioZeraora
R.O.B.Poppi
Toon LinkTetra
WolfGeneral Scales
VillagerTom Nook
Mega ManRoll
Wii Fit TrainerRing Fit Trainee
Rosalina & LumaPauline & Tiara
Little MacDoc Louis
GreninjaZoroark
PalutenaMedusa
Dark PitLegion (Astral Chain)
Pac-ManMs. Pac-man
LucinaEirika
RobinMorgan
ShulkMalos
Bowser Jr.Lakitu
Duck HuntBlade Wolf
RyuAkuma
CloudZack
CorrinKanna
BayonettaJeanne
InklingOctoling
DaisyPrincess Shokora
RidleyMecha Ridley
SimonTrevor
RichterJulius
ChromItsuki Aoi
Dark SamusSylux
King K. RoolLord Fredrik
IsabelleLottie
KenDan
IncineroarUrshifu
Piranha PlantDeku Baba
JokerWonder
HeroHeroine
Banjo & KazooiePurple Jinjo (I genuinely cannot think of anything for them)
TerryRock Howard*
BylethNemesis
Min MinNinjara
StevePiglin
SephirothGenesis
PyraEuden
MythraIron Valiant
KazuyaDevil Jin*
SoraRoxas
*=Only feasibly an echo if another unique character is added to the roster (Geese and Jin)

For the record 9 times out of 10 I think the characters chosen as an echo would be better off unique, I just wanted to do this as an experiment lol

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

I don't think niche characters are impossible for DLC. I do think when selling DLC, most characters are going to be popular characters, but considering a good majority of people will buy the full pack for character variety and completion reasons anyway, I don't think it's unfair to put in a more niche character.
Heck, quite a good number of people love Sakurai talking about the characters' histories, details and whatnot, especially when he's clearly passionate about them like Terry and Sephiroth. Sometimes they become compelled to get the character after one of his Presentations. so I don't think people would be against him introducing and presenting a more niche character along the lines of Adol or Reimu.

Regardless, I think we reached that point where no game can be prevented from getting into Smash Bros. Are some series more likely than others? Sure, but gatekeeping is what it is. People can say anything they want, but ultimately, it means nothing. A series like Ys, Touhou or Klonoa still has the chance to appear in Smash Bros, before or after another series. Is it unlikely? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord

It's not so much driving sales of the pass, it's the fact that these characters have to be compelling as standalone content, because they are sold that way as well. The pass can be leveraged by a few standout characters convincing people to buy in bulk - or for people who aren't discriminate about who the character is, they'll buy whoever - but not everyone buys that way.

Mix that with the fact that millions of dollars are pumped into character development. Each (original) newcomer costs at least hundreds of thousands of dollars to make, and DLC characters with their own trailers, showcases, and often more complex movesets and licensing fees even more so.

Sakurai might view Smash as an artistic endeavor. We might view it as a collection of characters we'd like to see. But Nintendo views it as a product. And Nintendo foots the bill. That's not to say there's no room for smaller characters (especially in base), but if Nintendo is going to be spending multiple thousands upon thousands on a single character, you want a preferential return on that investment.

That could come in the form of them acting as promotion for another one of your games (Min Min, Byleth, Pyra/Mythra). Or it could come in the form of a character who would be appealing to a bigger audience, giving a better chance of netting more people, getting a better return. Another reason we see few characters of lopsided popularity. Don't forget DLC isn't just for those who already own the game, potential consumers get lured in by particular additions.

So, if they're going, for instance, to Namco, do they take a character from Tekken or Dark Souls or Tales, or do they take, as per your example, Klonoa? Klonoa is cool and all, he fits with the cast, but... you pick him over those bigger series, you're leaving money on the table. Even if you opt for a fanbase favorite, you might not be looking to expand the audience, but you're going to appeal to a large number in the existing, DLC-buying consumer base.

Even as a fanbase favorite, a character like Geno appeals to such a smaller demographic than Cloud, Hero, Sephiroth, etc., so there is a threshold in which selection of a certain character becomes questionable from a business perspective. And even fan inclusions like Banjo were scarce among the DLC.

Of course it's not a "rule" that they can't go for the type of character you list, but why they would be few and far between is indeed pretty well reasoned.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Well, Min Min is first party so there's no negotiation and stuff, so by default I'm assuming the development cost for her is much less than other characters, so they could push for her easily compare to stuff like Klonoa. Besides, I would say that Arms is probably more popular than Klonoa or Rune factory despite having only one game. I don't really see what you're describing as gatekeeping, it's just a fact that some franchise are less likely than others. And to be fair some of your example are actually fairly discussed here like Adol anr Reimu, and even Disgaea to some extent.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Grand Theft Auto.
Unlikely as GTA is, it's still something people will consider worth discussing.

I immediately jumped to the hundreds of other games that would genuinely never be allowed (including Rockstar's own Manhunt for example.) I know Ivander didn't mean it literally but the amount of games that are disqualified by default is pretty high.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Grand Theft Auto.
I don't deny it's an incredibly unlikely game, but I don't want to agree that it's impossible because if I agree, the world will do everything to manipulate Grand Theft Auto into getting into Smash Bros. for the sole purpose of proving me wrong.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I think people are hyperbolizing, conflating impossible and unlikely. There may be a few misguided folks out there saying it would be "impossible" to get someone like Adol. I think most people who are being referenced are just saying it's not likely to get someone like him or Laharl or Klonoa or whoever.

I think that's really what the "gatekeeping" is.

I mean, if it's people genuinely saying don't bother supporting them they're too small to get in, yeah that's gatekeeping. If most of these people are actually saying something along the lines of them being unlikely, perhaps unrealistic to expect, but possible, that's... closer to accurate.

But if you think about it, though the fanbase does fixate on a highly limited number of choices, the vast majority of third-parties are nevertheless still unlikely. It just is what it is; it's a very big pool.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I don't deny it's an incredibly unlikely game, but I don't want to agree that it's impossible because if I agree, the world will do everything to manipulate Grand Theft Auto into getting into Smash Bros. for the sole purpose of proving me wrong.
If you do, specifically mention how it will never be Big Smoke.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If getting "nu-uh'd" by a spiteful universe (using reverse psychology?) was what it took to get characters into Smash, everyone would have their favorites in already.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
If getting "nu-uh'd" by a spiteful universe (using reverse psychology?) was what it took to get characters into Smash, everyone would have their favorites in already.
Implying the spiteful universe doesn't have it's own favorites of whom to spite. How else does Fire Emblem keep getting characters? :teeth:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
GTA is so outrageously, unbelievably successful that I could see Nintendo considering folding them into Smash just on the basis of the money/attention that would funnel to the game.

God knows it would be an unexpected megaton, even if the stable of GTA characters aren't really "icons" in the same sense as getting like Chief or Crash. Excluding Big Smoke, of course. But obviously most of the protagonists are still quite well known, these games are huge.

I don't find this the likeliest situation, I'm not expecting GTA or anything. I also don't think I'd be that keen on it, past the novelty of GTA just being there. But business-wise I could see Nintendo being more 👀 about it than we may give them credit for.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Implying the spiteful universe doesn't have it's own favorites of whom to spite. How else does Fire Emblem keep getting characters? :teeth:
It spites the FE fans too, that's why it's half clones/echoes and there's no Lyn (or Hector, Edel, Alm, Celica, Azura >insert FE character here<)

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Imagine a universe where Smash is a celebration of the worst of gaming.
Just imagine stuff like Kiddy Kong, Tingle, all baby versions of Mario characters, lootboxes, a Don't Buy This stage, micro transactions...
Basically the industry's wrongs crammed into a game.
(oh, and Corrin is the only returning character)

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Imagine a universe where Smash is a celebration of the worst of gaming.
Just imagine stuff like Kiddy Kong, Tingle, all baby versions of Mario characters, lootboxes, a Don't Buy This stage, micro transactions...
Basically the industry's wrongs crammed into a game.
(oh, and Corrin is the only returning character)
Kiddy Kong and Tingle as examples of the worst of gaming? Nah, those two are small potatoes. We gotta dig deeper. We gotta go worser. We gotta get E.T. for the Atari 2600. We gotta get Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for the NES.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Kiddy Kong and Tingle as examples of the worst of gaming? Nah, those two are small potatoes. We gotta dig deeper. We gotta go worser. We gotta get E.T. for the Atari 2600. We gotta get Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for the NES.
You wanna get something worse than that? How about a The Guy Game stage? Or the Sonic Eraser theme as a song for the menu?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
GTA is just one of those series that maybe fun to think about for Smash but nothing I would seriously consider.

Games like that I usually look for other games that are similar to them that I would consider in their place. There's the Lego City Undercover game, which seems to be heavily inspired by the GTA series and more fitting for Nintendo's image, especially since they were involved in the game and the brand itself.

Then there's also the Yakuza/Like A Dragon series with the organized crime, open-world setting. Plus, it's clear that both GTA and Yakuza/Like A Dragon took inspiration from Shenmue.

Not exactly pulling for those series myself but I do feel that they're more safer picks for Smash than GTA.

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
GTA has to be one of the few franchises that I'd call too tonally incompatible to get any major forms of representation. It's not just it being a M-rated series, it's the satirisation and exaggeration of life in crime ridden American cities I believe clashes too much against the general Smash aesthetic in a way less grounded but mature series like Metal Gear, Reseident Evil or Yakuza do not.

These are games where you can gun down the full extend of law enforcement on a interstate highway after running over a prostitute. In my mind that won't translate well into a Smash stage.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
RE: Funky Kong as a clone

Daisy got in as an echo, Funky will be one too if he joins. It's obvious.

His stature and overall body type are the exact same as DK's, and his abilities and animations are mostly the same. The only thing different is his personality.

Semi clones aren't common at all anymore, and in the off chance they return next game, I doubt Funky would be one. Dixie is a prime semi clone candidate and I doubt the DK series would double dip. In the Smash Bros echo chamber, Dixie is more popular too.
Hence I think I'll root for the following; Cranky as unique newcomer, Dixie as semi clone, Funky as Echo with crazy personality and a unique Up B with the surfboard a la Chrom and unique movements like Dark Samus.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Funky cool but dk’s fine as is rn.

kirby
Animal crossing
Splatoon
And Zelda

All need some love first

Honestly, the entire Mario cast sans maybe Jr. and the Koopalings need a touch up in general.

Mainly because everything is outdated and either leftover from the Brawl era grittiness, and/or simply not the current actor anymore.
Sad as it may be to lose Charles' clips, the current ones really only fit Brawl's aesthetic and are too different from the source series.

It's an unfortunate coincidence that the opportunity to change them to be more like the source like post-Brawl Mario characters got coincides with a replacement actor....
smash hasn’t seen a universal facelift for everything since brawl really. A lot of smash 4 was built off brawl and ult is litterally more advanced 4

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
GTA has to be one of the few franchises that I'd call too tonally incompatible to get any major forms of representation. It's not just it being a M-rated series, it's the satirisation and exaggeration of life in crime ridden American cities I believe clashes too much against the general Smash aesthetic in a way less grounded but mature series like Metal Gear, Reseident Evil or Yakuza do not.

These are games where you can gun down the full extend of law enforcement on a interstate highway after running over a prostitute. In my mind that won't translate well into a Smash stage.
And Mortal Kombat has you ripping peoples' entrails out through their mouth, but that wouldn't make its way over to Smash either.

A stage from GTA isn't going to have cars running over prostitutes in the background. GTA VI is going back to Vice City, so if anything you could probably get an 80s, beach-themed, synthwave imagery, neon-y aesthetic, like a mix between Hotline Miami and a beach stage from Tekken or Yakuza/LaD.

In Yakuza games you can literally watch softcore porn and run hostess clubs, fwiw. Like, with actual people. And it, likewise, would not be what makes it over to Smash. And it's true Yakuza games have levity and silliness... incidentally, here are some pics from GTA...

Real grounded ****.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's weird that the thread was willing to give Pyramid Head some serious analysis but GTA is considered a bridge too far. The average Silent Hill game is a lot more tonally dark, grounded, and violent than the series where you fly around with a jetpack, hunt Big Foot, and go on a Taco Bell run.

I honestly think Nintendo would be more hesitant to promote Like a Dragon over GTA, just because organized crime is generally more of a taboo subject in Japanese media than in American/British media. I still think both could happen, but let's not pretend the challenges facing each series aren't a little similar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom