• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm just saying games like Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, and Super Monkey Ball all came out a long time ago. I mean, we're talking 1999, 2000, and 2001 here.
Yeah, true. At least for Jet Set Radio is actually getting a new game, along with other Sega franchises. Shenmue got a new game several years back, and Super Monkey Ball IS getting a new game.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, true. At least for Jet Set Radio is actually getting a new game, along with other Sega franchises. Shenmue got a new game several years back, and Super Monkey Ball IS getting a new game.
That seems to be the case a lot of SEGA franchises now. Even Shinobi is getting a new game.

I hope Shenmue is getting another new one, with SEGA getting more involved this time.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
For joke characters, I would like one of King K. Rool’s Kremlings.
Here it is! My yearly excuse to talk about Kludge!!

1711931876485.png
1711931912626.png

I think this is the only character I'd want in Smash solely based on the fact of how cool the design is.

He physically appears in like, one game (regarded as one of the worst Mario-adjacent titles Nintendo has ever put out, no less) but I'd just pull a Fox/Falcon and make up the majority of his moves. I'd take that chain motif he's got going on and run with it, that'd be cool.

Characters like the Spacies and Marth can be found in other platform fighters because of how good those original designs are. I'd want to see what kind of heavyweight character Sakurai would come up with if pre-existing material he had to use was pretty-much a non-factor.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
in terms of SEGA characters in general I will simply direct you to my old post
Smash will only be good when they add Arle, Akira, Harrier, Opa-Opa, Sakura, Kiryu, Alis, Mushiking, NiGHTS, Ulala, Ryo, Rikiya Busujima, Selvaria, Alex Kidd, Zylo, Blue Dragon, Temjin, Asha, Blaze Fielding, Gilius, Beat, Hotsuma, Pengo, Centurion, Amigo, Gunstar Red and/or Han Samuel, Vyse, Cenes Crawford, Bruno Delinger, Honey, Shou Amabane, the Princess class from 7th Dragon, Taro Yamada, Janet Marshall, Spike, Teiris, Yoko Kono, the Bonanza Bros., the titular bass from SEGA Bass Fishing, the evil claw guy from Rail Chase, the universe-destroying baby from Stack Columns, Japanese prime minister Kakuei Tanaka as depicted in the arcade game I'm Sorry, and Segata Sanshiro

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My pick for an obscure character will forever be Marina Liteyears from Mischief Makers.

Every time there's a Nintendo Direct I pray her series gets a Bayonetta-esque revival. At least let me play her game on NSO!
Mine has to be Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy. My other favorites like the Battletoads aren’t exactly mainstream these days but I feel like most gamers at least know of them. I don’t think anyone would have any clue who Zegram is if I didn’t bring him up every so often as my favorite game character.

1711932779478.jpeg

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So, what obscure/joke character you want in the next Smash? I choose Ayumi Tachibana since the games have been remade and localized to the west and Sakurai wanted her in Melee.
As far as joke characters go Phoenix wright would be the first pick here, i cant see him being represented any other way since his series is a Courtroom Drama/Comedy

As for obscure, i would of course go for an SRW rep, the series is popular in Japan, being one of the longest running JRPG series over there, but outside of Japan it's relatively obscure. Presumably because of Harmony gold being hard to work with regarding Macross characters.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I mean, it'd definitely be cool.
Well, Speed Weed is making a Creation Thread for a Sega platform fighter. Sorry of the free advertisement.
(I'm still waiting for the April Fools character f this year)

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
As far as jokes go, I'd unironically love Wiggler as the next Mario character. They're the kind of character that's funny to even just look at, truly a wonderful specimen. "Uh, that's not an important character and XYZ deserves it more" yeah, fair point and probably true! However, I wanna play as a giant funny caterpillar, and most suggestions simply aren't that. Given the booster course pass and Wonder giving them some prominence, it's not even entirely impossible either lol

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Y'know, when it comes to Rare (formerly Rareware) characters, a lot of people would ask for Conker. I'd love to have Conker in Smash just as much as anybody, but I'd love to see either Jago or Fulgore from Killer Instinct in Smash as well.
Believe me; I think a Killer Instinct character in Smash Bros. would be sweet! I'd personally want Fulgore.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Any Joke/Obscure third party you want? 😉
A Fitness Boxing character (Preferably Karen, but I'll take whoever)
A Fatal Frame character
Arle Nadja w/ Amitie and Ringo Andou as potential Echoes for her
AiAi
NiGHTS
Amigo
Ulala
Billy Hatcher
Sakura Shinguji and/or Sakura Amamiya
Opa-Opa
Akira Yuki and/or Sarah Bryant
Bahn and/or Honey
Ryo Hazuki
Beat
Axel Stone
Taizo Hori
Bravoman
Wonder Momo
Tobi Masuyo
Mappy
Wagan
Pino and Acha
Hiromi Tengenji
Tarosuke
Valkyrie
Gil
Namuko (Namco Girl)
Klonoa
Mr. Driller (Susumu Hori)
Reiko Nagase and/or Ai Fukami
Taki
Mitsurugi
Nightmare
Chun-Li
Sakura Kasugano
Karin Kanzuki
Dan Hibiki
Blanka
Batsu Ichimonji
Akira Kazama
Jin Saotome
Princess Devilotte
Chris Redfield
Jill Valentine
Leon S. Kennedy
Morrigan Aensland
Lilith
Demitri
Jon Talbain
Felicia
Cody
Guy
Maki
Haggar
Dean or Lucia

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Here it is! My yearly excuse to talk about Kludge!!

View attachment 387338View attachment 387339

I think this is the only character I'd want in Smash solely based on the fact of how cool the design is.

He physically appears in like, one game (regarded as one of the worst Mario-adjacent titles Nintendo has ever put out, no less) but I'd just pull a Fox/Falcon and make up the majority of his moves. I'd take that chain motif he's got going on and run with it, that'd be cool.

Characters like the Spacies and Marth can be found in other platform fighters because of how good those original designs are. I'd want to see what kind of heavyweight character Sakurai would come up with if pre-existing material he had to use was pretty-much a non-factor.
As an aside, I would like to see Kludge again once they bring the Kremlings back. The game he originates from is... not great, but his design was actually very good and did stand out it. He'd work well as a boss character that could lead the Krushas (who he's implied to take from) as he does share that image of valuing brute strength that would fit right in with them.

What if James Bond got into Smash? :4pacman:
No good! Blocked on all fronts!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Y'know, when it comes to Rare (formerly Rareware) characters, a lot of people would ask for Conker. I'd love to have Conker in Smash just as much as anybody, but I'd love to see either Jago or Fulgore from Killer Instinct in Smash as well.
I’d love a Killer Instinct character. Fulgore is probably in my top 5 overall most wanted Smash characters. The games have such fun designs, awesome music, and an iconic narrator. KI is just behind Battletoads as my most wanted RARE rep but either would be awesome. I’d also love to see Joanna Dark at some point too. I actually dislike Conker so I’d personally be pretty disappointed if they went with him. He’s also just another N64 3D platforming mascot so he’d be a pretty boring choice after Banjo, especially if he got in over my favorites. I’d be happy for his fans though.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Well, Speed Weed is making a Creation Thread for a Sega platform fighter. Sorry of the free advertisement.
(I'm still waiting for the April Fools character f this year)
I've been following that thread for a while but I never took part in it. I prefer a SEGA crossover fighting game that's different from Smash and my personal preference is what they were going to use for SEGA All-Stars Brawl, which seemed to be more like a 3D arena-style game like Power Stone. I think that's more fitting for SEGA than a 2D platform fighter.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If we go by Joke Characters just being objectively bad gameplay-wise and designed as such on purpose, I'm...kinda not really big on the idea of joke characters anymore.

Heck, I'm happy that Pichu is even a strong underdog among the fighters now, let alone formerly a contender for top tier when he made his surprise grand return to the series when the game was still new after a long absence since being added and designed as Joke Character in Melee. The concept of Joke Characters, at least by that definition (which I believe was it's original one) just isn't an area I think the series needs to revisit at this point.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
As far as joke characters go I would love for Glass Joe to be playable, but unlike Little Mac who is terrible in the air but great on the ground he is just overall terrible.

I’d also like Garbodor, because the idea of them picking a literal garbage Pokémon over the hundreds of other more popular Pokémon would be very amusing.

3 Goombas stacked on top of each other would also be pretty funny

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven) ever gets into Smash, they should give him a remixed medley of Karateka (Karate Man Returns), Struck By The Rain (Karate Man Kicks), Lonely Storm (Karate Man Combos), Karate Man (Megamix) and Karate Man Senior.

On a further note, even though we all know it'll probably never happen, I think it'd be pretty cool if we got either Ouendan or the Elite Beat Agents. Or both.

Of course, there would certainly be licensing issues concerning music.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Since we're talking about SEGA again, I figured we can speculate again what a SEGA Smash Bros would be like. A while ago, this question was asked about what if it was made in 1999 for the Sega Saturn. Now what if a follow-up was made in 2001 for the Sega Dreamcast?

Since I consider Fighters Megamix to be SEGA's Smash Bros for now, I just think up a follow-up to that and it'll be something like this:
  • Full roster of Sonic The Fighters, Virtua Fighter 3, and Fighter Vipers 2
  • Harrier (Space Harrier), Alex Kidd, The Bonanza Bros, Opa Opa, Nights, Myau, and Ryo Hazuki are newcomers
  • All the rest of the characters return as well.
  • Gameplay will be an arena-style game like Power Stone but is still develop by AM2, so it'll resemble Rent-a-Hero No1 gameplay.
I can't say much on the stages but it'll obviously have many from different SEGA games.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If we go by Joke Characters just being objectively bad gameplay-wise and designed as such on purpose, I'm...kinda not really big on the idea of joke characters anymore.

Heck, I'm happy that Pichu is even a strong underdog among the fighters now, let alone formerly a contender for top tier when he made his surprise grand return to the series when the game was still new after a long absence since being added and designed as Joke Character in Melee. The concept of Joke Characters, at least by that definition (which I believe was it's original one) just isn't an area I think the series needs to revisit at this point.
I'm more open to the prospect of an inherently "bad" character akin to say, Dan Hibiki as long as it isn't eating up too much time that could be spent elsewhere, although it's pretty hard to introduce a joke character by any other token in Smash.

In any other game, a character like Piranha Plant or Wii Fit Trainer are obviously gag picks. I mean, I suppose you can argue that Plant kinda is. But it's also a character made to be as viable and as creatively fulfilling and good feeling as any other character on the roster. And in a game that will add someone like Mr. Game & Watch or Steve, and commit fully to the bit and animate them as if they're straight out of their source material, what defines a character who is especially an oddball or out of place? Hell, for better or worse that's practically the expectation at this point.

It's fun to ponder some sillier picks that may be regarded as less serious, but Smash's essence is one that takes silly ideas with the same value as anyone else on the roster and as such doesn't really set aside those kind of labels. It feels like the series outgrew that idea a long time ago and now they are more concerned about making every addition someone you can succeed with. See: Jiggypuff in Melee and Pichu in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
As an aside, I would like to see Kludge again once they bring the Kremlings back. The game he originates from is... not great, but his design was actually very good and did stand out it. He'd work well as a boss character that could lead the Krushas (who he's implied to take from) as he does share that image of valuing brute strength that would fit right in with them.
Same here. I'd love if the next DK not only brought K. Rool back but also used Klump and Kludge as his high-ranking lackeys. Kind of like what the DK cartoon did with Klump and Krusha. But with Kludge instead of Krusha (nothing against Krusha, I just find Kludge's design to be more interesting). I'd like if Kludge used a ball-and-chain as his signature weapon too, not many other characters wield that kind of tool and I'd be fun to design boss fights around.

1711940378127.gif

As far as jokes go, I'd unironically love Wiggler as the next Mario character. They're the kind of character that's funny to even just look at, truly a wonderful specimen. "Uh, that's not an important character and XYZ deserves it more" yeah, fair point and probably true! However, I wanna play as a giant funny caterpillar, and most suggestions simply aren't that. Given the booster course pass and Wonder giving them some prominence, it's not even entirely impossible either lol
I am very biased and if Wiggler got in I unironically don't think I would seriously use anyone else.

But even disregarding that, there aren't many other video game characters with this kind of build and it would be IMMENSELY fun to put together a moveset for a character with this kind of shape. Lots of flurry kicks and segment twisting and whatnot, Wiggler has four sets of limbs and there's loads of potential in that alone. Add his anger on top of that and it's not hard to see him wiggling around on the battlefield.

I love Wiggler so much. Did I mention I love Wiggler? My sweet angry caterpillar, what did I do to deserve you?? You should be playable in everything!!

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
If Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven) ever gets into Smash, they should give him a remixed medley of Karateka (Karate Man Returns), Struck By The Rain (Karate Man Kicks), Lonely Storm (Karate Man Combos), Karate Man (Megamix) and Karate Man Senior.

On a further note, even though we all know it'll probably never happen, I think it'd be pretty cool if we got either Ouendan or the Elite Beat Agents. Or both.

Of course, there would certainly be licensing issues concerning music.
I've always wanted Ouendan and EBA to be assist trophies, myself

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've always wanted Ouendan and EBA to be assist trophies, myself
While I'd be fine with the Ouendan and/or E.B.A. as playable, there's something I've been wondering about them being ATs. If that ever DID happen, do you think there'd be a chance of the Ouendan Cheerleaders and/or Elite Beat Divas popping out from the item? Like, a rare chance?

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If we’re still on the subject of obscure characters, I think another interesting (though highly unlikely) pick would be Silver. His stage could be Crisis City, and they could add in music from Sonic '06, especially Dreams Of An Absolution.

Yes, I’m aware Sonic '06 was apparently terrible, but it still had an awesome soundtrack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom