• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Sorry, I left this unfinished.

But I wanted to say that Kunio is both a Scrimblo and Anime. Yeah, that sounds dumb as heck, but here's my explanation: in some games he has more realistic proportions, but in others (which is the majority), the cast have more cartoonish designs. So He can compass both sides. This is the stupidest take I ever made, but at least it makes some sense.

I forgot the concept of Super Deformed/Chibi designs.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I thought scrimblos had to be anthropomorphic animals like Crash.
Same here. The term has always been kind of stupid to me but whatever. I don’t know if it’s a requirement to be cutesy to be a scrimblo or just be anthropomorphic. Is it a requirement to be a mascot of a platformer? Like, are the Battletoads, TMNT, or any humanoid Pokémon like Incineroar scrimblos?

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Same here. The term has always been kind of stupid to me but whatever. I don’t know if it’s a requirement to be cutesy to be a scrimblo or just be anthropomorphic. Is it a requirement to be a mascot of a platformer? Like, are the Battletoads, TMNT, or any humanoid Pokémon like Incineroar scrimblos?
Ha! Maybe next Halloween I'll dress up as a scrimblo. But not a bimbo. A chaste scrimblo.

Stratos

Smash Ace
They have to decide at some point if they will finally release Metroid Prime 4 or not. If they are going to release it, at least release it for the next Nintendo console.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of varied Pokémon representation, does anyone have any personal favorites that aren’t really highly speculated that you’d like to see? I’ve mentioned my top three for each Gen but my top two that I never see talked about are Cofagrigus and Golisopod. These are two of my absolute favorites and neither really gets promoted much. I feel like Golisopod would probably be easier to animate and come up with a moveset for due to Cofagrigus’ unusual frame but I’d love to see either one.
I actually cannot name a favorite Pokémon. Unlike many other franchises, I find it super difficult to justify one, and if I did, I think it would cause a spiral of trying to justify the others I like. And even if I like a Pokémon, it may not mean I want it in Smash. Favorite Pokemon have different reasons for being favorites. Eevee, Gardevoir, and Zoroark have probably the most decent ideas going for them Smash-wise, I guess, but that's more my inner Smash orientation talking than an actual need for them to be in (besides maybe Eevee).

Though, on a similar vein of Pokémon newcomers, a part of me would like to see them also introduce other Pokémon Trainer characters. Maybe not something as ambitious as three fighters at once, but something to represent Pokémon fighting for iconic battlers, like they typically do in mainline titles. Like say, I don't know, Morty and his Dream Eater spamming Gengar? :4pacman: In all seriousness, I can see why people might object to that idea, and even why it'd be impossible. But the Trainer mechanic is technically a part of Pokémon's roots left underrepresented by Smash, beyond the surface of the admittedly serviceable :ultpokemontrainer:.

Quillion

Smash Hero
But the Trainer mechanic is technically a part of Pokémon's roots left underrepresented by Smash, beyond the surface of the admittedly serviceable :ultpokemontrainer:.
But this isn't a Pokémon crossover. Trying to represent all sides of a certain series in a crossover supposed to represent a bunch of series is an exercise in futility. It's okay if some crucial things get lost in the shuffle.

Needing human trainers to be represented in Smash is as unnecessary as wanting a "spin-off character" for Mario in Smash, as attractive as that idea may be even to me.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
But this isn't a Pokémon crossover. Trying to represent all sides of a certain series in a crossover supposed to represent a bunch of series is an exercise in futility. It's okay if some crucial things get lost in the shuffle.

Needing human trainers to be represented in Smash is as unnecessary as wanting a "spin-off character" for Mario in Smash, as attractive as that idea may be even to me.
I thought I specifically stated that Trainers summoning Pokémon is what the franchise has been about for years. Just because we haven't had one covered in Smash beyond:ultpokemontrainer: and some previous trophies doesn't make it untrue to the source material. I understand the futility of the idea in theory, but it is technically important to Pokémon.
Oh, and I largely object to throwing certain aspects of the series to the wayside. Sometimes it is necessary, but Smash has not necessarily done it well.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Another point is that Scrimblo have to be all kind of platformers or just 3D ones?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I thought I specifically stated that Trainers summoning Pokémon is what the franchise has been about for years. Just because we haven't had one covered in Smash beyond:ultpokemontrainer: and some previous trophies doesn't make it untrue to the source material. I understand the futility of the idea in theory, but it is technically important to Pokémon.
Oh, and I largely object to throwing certain aspects of the series to the wayside. Sometimes it is necessary, but Smash has not necessarily done it well.
But the Pokémon do the fighting, not the trainers. Heck, in the wild they have a limited ability to think for themselves and attack the player as a perceived threat.

And when it comes to not representing some aspects, you gotta lose some to win some. Like how would you feel if we got a ton of Zelda one-shots who have all fallen by the wayside in their own series?

Laniv

Smash Champion
On the subject of varied Pokémon representation, does anyone have any personal favorites that aren’t really highly speculated that you’d like to see? I’ve mentioned my top three for each Gen but my top two that I never see talked about are Cofagrigus and Golisopod. These are two of my absolute favorites and neither really gets promoted much. I feel like Golisopod would probably be easier to animate and come up with a moveset for due to Cofagrigus’ unusual frame but I’d love to see either one.
Genesect if I'm going for somewhat realistic. Scrafty or an Ultra Beast if I'm really indulgent.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Scrimblo is the "Search Action game" to Cereal Box Mascot's "Metroidvania". The former terms of both aren't terribly useful descriptions of the things they're trying to sum up despite all the efforts of those that coined it. Even as somewhat derisive as CBM was as a term, I'd still use it far sooner than anything else to reference an anthropomorphized mascot character.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Scrimblo is the "Search Action game" to Cereal Box Mascot's "Metroidvania". The former terms of both aren't terribly useful descriptions of the things they're trying to sum up despite all the efforts of those that coined it. Even as somewhat derisive as CBM was as a term, I'd still use it far sooner than anything else to reference an anthropomorphized mascot character.
And then You have terms like "Soulsborne" (which makes sense, but it should've been outdated by the time Sekiro and Elden Ring released, and We don't know how to extend it)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I made a new thread. Feel free to share your grievances.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Scrimblo Bimblo is one of the dumbest-named terms I have ever heard. And I know it's a shorthand but it makes people sound like... children. At least cereal box mascot, anime swordfighter, shill pick... at least these are words.

And I think it's supposed to be like a parody of names like Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot and stuff, because it arose when those were the most popular characters of that type... but all four of those are real words, or at least a real word with an -ie at the end.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Scrimblo Bimblo is one of the dumbest-named terms I have ever heard. And I know it's a shorthand but it makes people sound like... children. At least cereal box mascot, anime swordfighter, shill pick... at least these are words.

And I think it's supposed to be like a parody of names like Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot and stuff, because it arose when those were the most popular characters of that type... but all four of those are real words, or at least a real word with an -ie at the end.
Yeah, it speaks to an attempt at exaggerated parody that so misunderstands the thing its trying to spoof that ultimately falls flat.

Its funnier to me that Playtonic's Yooka Layelee is a far more on the nose satire of platformer mascot names (albeit unintentionally).

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Yeah, it speaks to an attempt at exaggerated parody that so misunderstands the thing its trying to spoof that ultimately falls flat.
It came off to me like someone who didn't really try to understand that these funny sounding titles were still... words. Like someone who thought 'bandicoot' wasn't a real word, and overlooked 'Crash Bandicoot' homages the Looney Tunes stuff the series took inspiration from with [name] [animal] (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.)

Or didn't realize that 'kazooie' was just 'kazoo' with an -ie and is part of the musical motifs in the game: Banjo/Kazoo title, collecting notes, etc. Or it could even be a shot at a character like Mumbo Jumbo, as that's probably most similar sounding to Scrimblo Bimblo, even though Mumbo Jumbo is an expression and fits with a shaman/witch doctor character who casts spells.

Seems like it was more... "dur hur dumb name for cartoon character. might as well call SCRIMBLO BIMBLO".

Its funnier to me that Playtonic's Yooka Layelee is a far more on the nose satire of platformer mascot names (albeit unintentionally).
Yooka Laylee has to be intentional, it's made by the Banjo guys. It's a deliberate spiritual successor to their Rare series, including the name (banjo/ukulele), and was done as a loving reference instead of a dig.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Scrimblo Bimblo is one of the dumbest-named terms I have ever heard.
As far as I can tell, the name comes from this social media post on twitter, February 16th, 2021. It probably has to do with timing; this was in the middle of the Ultimate DLC cycle and was around the height of the complaints about the oversaturation of JRPG characters.

1699569773941.png

I have vague memories that some of these terms may have existed to refer to characters affectionally before, though I'm uncertain if it was before or after then.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Oddworld Inhabitants focuses only on the known Oddworld video game series. Abe was supposed to appear as a DLC character in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, but for some reason he missed that opportunity, maybe he can appear as a newcomer in a future Super Smash Bros. game. Someone else from the Oddworld series that I'm also thinking of as a newcomer is Stranger who kind of looks like a feline centaur and at first hides his bottom inside a pair of pants to make him look like a biped. If Stranger also comes as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series we will have the first video game centaur-like character there. As for Munch, I'm not sure I want him as a newcomer although I'm leaning more towards "no".

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
To this day, I still can't understand why people compared Gladion with Buzzwole. With the other I could understand some parallels (Lillie with Nihilego, Guzma with Xurtitree), but what does an edgelord kid has to do with a beefy mosquito.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
To this day, I still can't understand why people compared Gladion with Buzzwole. With the other I could understand some parallels (Lillie with Nihilego, Guzma with Xurtitree), but what does an edgelord kid has to do with a beefy mosquito.
I hadn’t heard that one. I always grouped Gladion with Type: Null and Silvally.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Apropos of nothing, but I'm really hoping the next Smash continues the pattern of notable composers getting to work on other franchises tracks. Yoko Shimomura's stuff with Banjo was great and given how solid the Mario RPG soundtrack is sounding already, I'd love to see what she could do with Fire Emblem or Paper Mario tracks:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Apropos of nothing, but I'm really hoping the next Smash continues the pattern of notable composers getting to work on other franchises tracks. Yoko Shimomura's stuff with Banjo was great and given how solid the Mario RPG soundtrack is sounding already, I'd love to see what she could do with Fire Emblem or Paper Mario tracks:

Of the franchises represented in Smash, which franchises do you guys want Yoko to do a remix for that she hasn’t already? You can also throw in franchises that aren’t represented at all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For the record, yeah, the term Scrimblo Bimblo was absolutely formed to push back against the anti-JRPG gatekeeping done by the folks who pushed for (almost exclusively, mind you) cartoony mascot platformer characters. It's pretty much just synonymous with the "cereal mascot" catch-all.

Like, one bit of context that gets removed oftentimes is that the original poster followed up and said the character they had in mind when writing it was Klonoa. So like...there's your blueprint.

(Which is also funny in retrospect since Klonoa, out of the remaining pile of Scrimblos, has more merit than most others, but you know.)

Basically it's specifically pushing back against the demographic who will complain about Cloud ****ing Strife being another sword fighter while also complaining about the lack of (usually either western-exclusive or western-centric) has-been/never-were platformer characters like Earthworm Jim, Boogerman, Aero the Acrobat, or the Jersey Devil, or alternatively, the folks who think Fire Emblem should be pruned down to two fighters while pushing for five Sonic newcomers.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The reason I'm not particular a fan of Nintendo vs a company is mainly because even with a decent size roster for each company, I feel Smash Bros. has such an impact that you can't expect the Nintendo side to have anybody that isn't already in Smash Bros. Despite how quite a bunch of people want to have lesser known Nintendo IPs for a Nintendo Vs Company, Nintendo's biggest advantage is also it's biggest weakness is that there are so many must-haves that you'd have hardly any space for characters that would be new.
  1. Let's do a hypothetical roster for Nintendo vs Company with 25 characters each. So first off, we start with the Mario series and so easily, the must-haves are Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser. Already that's 4 characters.
  2. Next are the series connected to Mario, so next up would be Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Wario. So already that's another 3 for 7 characters.
  3. Next up is the Legend of Zelda and obviously the Triforce. Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are all important, so that's another 3. We have 10 Nintendo characters.
  4. Pokemon and Animal Crossing would be next on the list, but we're going to save them for another topic for reasons I will discuss later. For now, we're skipping them. So after the big 5 of Nintendo, we can go into Nintendo's lesser, but still big series and icons. So next on the list would be Metroid, Kirby and Fire Emblem. Samus and Kirby are absolutely Nintendo icons and with Fire Emblem becoming big, the easiest option is Marth who has become a prominent character and one of the faces of Fire Emblem, so Samus, Kirby and Marth are there. We have 13 Nintendo characters.
  5. After these 3, Splatoon is definitely in the running, with it being an incredibly popular series since it's first title and the Inklings themselves have become notable Nintendo characters. And the easiest answer are the Inklings and they also have the benefit of having the code names, like "Agent 3" and whatnot. That said, they'll most likely add in the female Inkling if they can't do the Smash thing where you can choose between the male or female, since Monster Hunter in MvC Infinite was exclusively female. So we'll add them to the roster for 14 characters.
  6. After Splatoon would be Xenoblade. Xenoblade has become a notable Nintendo game series which got it's much needed start with Operation Rainfall encouraging Nintendo to bring it to the West and then getting a massive boost in popularity with Xenoblade 2 and 3. The real question is whether they will do Shulk or Rex with Pyra and Mythra as back-ups. But regardless of which one they add, that would be another character for a total of 15.
  7. Now we start heading into the lesser franchises that still have notably popular characters. Fox and Pit are easily the biggest in terms of lesser franchises with big hits. Captain Falcon himself, despite his series being not big, is easily a big cult icon because of his popularity in Smash Bros. And Smash Bros. would have just as much impact on a Nintendo vs Company game as it does in gaming. So those 3 I have no uncertainty of them getting in, so we bring up our list to 18 characters.
  8. We will now talk about Pokemon and Animal Crossing. The reason why I wanted to talk about these near the end is because they have some notable issues, but would have a big impact on the roster if handled. Isabelle would be picked since she has since become the series mascot. Now her and Animal Crossing's issues are:
    1. Whether they or not they would have a moveset in mind for her
    2. Whether they do want to add her in. If they want to add her in and do give her a moveset, we reach 19 Nintendo characters.
  9. In regards to Pokemon, the big issue is whether or not they have cooperation with Gamefreak and the Pokemon Company in wanting to add in Pokemon characters. It's a non-issue with Smash Bros. at this point, but whether they want to allow Pokemon to go into another crossover fighter would be another story. And quite easily, the biggest names for Pokemon would be Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario and Charizard. Pikachu, Mewtwo and Lucario would be shoe-ins, no doubt in my mind. It's really Charizard who they could potentially skip with the potential Pokemon Starter of the month and to not flood the Pokemon characters with Gen 1 Pokemon. But if Pokemon were to get in, much like Mario, I would see 4 reps getting in.
That would be 23 Nintendo characters, with only enough room for 2 Nintendo characters left. I am absolutely certain the 23 characters above would get in without hesitation which really only leaves 2 Nintendo characters they need to choose. And the biggest thing to note is that aside from Mario, Zelda and Pokemon, none of the other franchises that are also in have a 2nd character.
And no matter how much people want there to be a series not in Smash to appear, why would Nintendo choose 2 lesser known games or series to get a character over an additional character for 2 franchises without a 2nd character? I can easily see another Kirby character, another Fire Emblem character, another Splatoon character, even Ridley I can see getting in over a new franchise not in Smash Bros.
We didn't even talk about the franchises in Smash that haven't entered yet, like Punch Out, Earthbound, ARMS and Pikmin, not to mention Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Mr. Game & Watch and Duck Hunt. Even if we didn't get Pokemon or Animal Crossing, I can see these characters getting in and these series getting a character in alongside the additional characters for franchises with only 1 character over a new franchise/game that didn't have a playable character in Smash Bros.

This is easily my biggest issue with a Nintendo vs Company game. The amount of Must-haves that Nintendo has alongside the impact that Smash Bros has had on it's characters and it's audience. They have so many characters that are so recognisable that they can't not put them in and if they have space for characters after them, they would pick the characters that people would easily recognise from Smash Bros. rather than take some chances. I would absolutely want them to try some unique picks, but this would not be the game they would do so with.

Edit: Basically, I want Sega vs Capcom, Namco vs Capcom, etc and see them being more interesting over Nintendo vs Company.
I have to admit, I know you said you're REALLY iffy on the idea of 'Nintendo vs. Capcom', but this is a fairly solid Nintendo-side roster to me. Maybe add 2-3 deep cuts, and you'd be good to go. Perhaps select from Isaac, Lip, Saki, Ray (from Custom Robo), Mr. G&W, R.O.B., or Chibi-Robo?

Though you are imposing Smash-style selection on vs. Capcom game, which would presumably be developed by Capcom. The prerogative for those games has never been to strictly work from the top of the heap down, it's to choose a selection of both big names and deep cuts, and that entails omission of some notable characters. For instance, Leon Kennedy and Daredevil have never been playable in a MvC game. But we've received Hsien-ko and Shuma Gorath.

The fact that Smash exists if anything helps offset what would be not bringing over every notable character. At least they're still in Smash.

And it means we could actually get some characters probably not destined for Smash due to their lower likelihood/smaller series/regional exclusivity, as well as reset some series and offer chances to those who, for Smash, may have lost them - like Lyn, Skull Kid/Midna, no longer current Pokemon gens, etc.

Of course Nintendo will mandate some characters, but so does Marvel, and they still manage to find a range. And Marvel is nothing if not stacked in their own right. I would also argue that the number of actual truly indispensable Nintendo characters in a vs. Capcom title is not as high as people would think. Especially at a point there have been no vets.

Nintendo vs. Capcom would not aim to be what Smash is, and that's a good thing. It would be played differently, it would be developed differently, and it would be compiled differently. So I disagree with the premise that the Nintendo side would be nothing but overlap. In fact, I think that dev team would go out of their way deliberately choosing some characters not already in Smash, because it's not identical values guiding inclusion.

I'm not saying we need NvC over some other company vs. Capcom - those would also be fun, but I don't see this option as any less interesting, personally.

Though I also have a higher hit rate of interest in Nintendo IP than Sega or Namco. Though I suspect the same for much of the Smash audience.
Yeah, that's my thoughts on it too. Like, I don't really see Nintendo vs. Capcom bothering to bring in nearly every Smash Bros. character. It's even why I see Nintendo's more 'obscure' catalog having more of a shot in a Vs. game than Smash, given Sakurai's current criteria for how he selects characters for Smash Bros. to begin with.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I have to admit, I know you said you're REALLY iffy on the idea of 'Nintendo vs. Capcom', but this is a fairly solid Nintendo-side roster to me. Maybe add 2-3 deep cuts, and you'd be good to go. Perhaps select from Isaac, Lip, Saki, Ray (from Custom Robo), Mr. G&W, R.O.B., or Chibi-Robo?

Yeah, that's my thoughts on it too. Like, I don't really see Nintendo vs. Capcom bothering to bring in nearly every Smash Bros. character. It's even why I see Nintendo's more 'obscure' catalog having more of a shot in a Vs. game than Smash, given Sakurai's current criteria for how he selects characters for Smash Bros. to begin with.
Of course it's not a bad Nintendo roster. The issue is that just about all of them are already playable in Smash Bros. And to some people, why would that convince them to get the Nintendo vs Company game if they can already play those characters in Smash and more? And if there are any deep-cuts happening, it's likely with G&W, Wii Fit Trainer and R.O.B. Once again, already in Smash Bros.

And without Sakurai, Nintendo is more likely to choose their existing and well-known franchises over their deep-cut franchises. Sakurai was the one who wanted and gave us Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer(do you really think anybody in Nintendo other than Sakurai looked at Wii Fit and went, the Trainer is perfect to be a playable character.), Robin, Duck Hunt, Piranha Plant and Terry. And we got Marth in Smash Bros. Melee because Sakurai wanted him, despite him and Roy not having their games coming to the West and Sakurai thinking they were possibly going to be Japanese exclusive. He picked Cloud Strife over another FF character in a more Nintendo-prevalent Final Fantasy game.
Sakurai was responsible for just about all of our deep-cuts in Smash Bros. Taking him away would more than likely mean alot less deep-cut choices for future games.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I thought scrimblos had to be anthropomorphic animals like Crash.
I always got that impression too and based on the posts I'm seeing now, that definitely seems to be case.

And if that's true, then...Kunio obviously doesn't fit that. He's not an anthropomorphic animal.

Sorry, I left this unfinished.

But I wanted to say that Kunio is both a Scrimblo and Anime. Yeah, that sounds dumb as heck, but here's my explanation: in some games he has more realistic proportions, but in others (which is the majority), the cast have more cartoonish designs. So He can compass both sides. This is the stupidest take I ever made, but at least it makes some sense.

I forgot the concept of Super Deformed/Chibi designs.
He wouldn't fit either one. He's not a JRPG character, so he wouldn't get the "anime" label either.

If anything, Kunio kind of leans more into whatever style Little Mac is; being the comical, cartoon-style fighter from a series with over-the-type characters and abilities. That's a much more unique style that doesn't have much in the roster besides Little Mac so far. Kunio and Riki would add a little more to that.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
For the record, yeah, the term Scrimblo Bimblo was absolutely formed to push back against the anti-JRPG gatekeeping done by the folks who pushed for (almost exclusively, mind you) cartoony mascot platformer characters. It's pretty much just synonymous with the "cereal mascot" catch-all.

Like, one bit of context that gets removed oftentimes is that the original poster followed up and said the character they had in mind when writing it was Klonoa. So like...there's your blueprint.

(Which is also funny in retrospect since Klonoa, out of the remaining pile of Scrimblos, has more merit than most others, but you know.)

Basically it's specifically pushing back against the demographic who will complain about Cloud ****ing Strife being another sword fighter while also complaining about the lack of (usually either western-exclusive or western-centric) has-been/never-were platformer characters like Earthworm Jim, Boogerman, Aero the Acrobat, or the Jersey Devil, or alternatively, the folks who think Fire Emblem should be pruned down to two fighters while pushing for five Sonic newcomers.
What a weird choice to base the term off of. That's like making fun of JRPG names by calling a character, like, High Princess Lysitheria Reginvald von Drosselburg and then be like yeah I was thinking of 2B. There are other cartoony characters closer to that fake name than Klonoa...

Also, of all the fanbases supporting cartoony characters, you make that with Klonoa in mind? Of all the common requests, what prompted it was... one of the not-common requests. What, did he think the requests for Crash were reasonable, yet make something that could clearly apply to Crash?

In any case I think it's lost its specific relation to JRPG characters and now exists to disparage the cartoony mascot characters in general. Which, I mean, there will always be those terms out there I suppose, at least at this point, I just think this one sounds like you still have middle school ahead of you.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In any case I think it's lost its specific relation to JRPG characters and now exists to disparage the cartoony mascot characters in general. Which, I mean, there will always be those terms out there I suppose, at least at this point, I just think this one sounds like you still have middle school ahead of you.
Just like the target audience of a lot of those mascot characters! Ayyy.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I always got that impression too and based on the posts I'm seeing now, that definitely seems to be case.

And if that's true, then...Kunio obviously doesn't fit that. He's not an anthropomorphic animal.
Yeah but you're not gonna find "scrimblo bimblo" in Websters, are you.

The specificity seems unfixed. Some clearly use it synonymously with 'cereal box mascot'. Those can be humans.

I'm sure you'd have people say Rayman would fit. Or Bonk or Goemon. Maybe Shantae and Arthur. Some people would include Pac-Man and Bomberman.
And then you could start getting into arguments about Mega Man.

That's kinda what happens when you make **** up. Is Kunio a 'scrimblo bimblo'? Who cares? Use real words and you'd be able to know.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I personally can count the amount of "scrimblos" and "swordies" left I'd feel are necessary on one hand each, but that is 1. personal opinion 2. there being a lot of both in already 3. wanting to see more of other genres, especially ones that don't even really have a character yet. (EX: FPS, rhythm games, puzzle games besides a clone)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah but you're not gonna find "scrimblo bimblo" in Websters, are you.

The specificity seems unfixed. Some clearly use it synonymously with 'cereal box mascot'. Those can be humans.

I'm sure you'd have people say Rayman would fit. Or Bonk or Goemon. Maybe Shantae and Arthur. Some people would include Pac-Man and Bomberman.
And then you could start getting into arguments about Mega Man.

That's kinda what happens when you make **** up. Is Kunio a 'scrimblo bimblo'? Who cares? Use real words and you'd be able to know.
All words are made up. They're given meaning by those who use them. It's the descriptivism vs prescriptivism argument, and in the end, descriptivism always wins out. Language evolves.

You're making it sound like the original intent was much more vague than it actually was. Nobody who knows what they're talking about would use it to describe Kunio. The name itself makes it very clear: "Scrimblo Bimblo," a whimsical nonsense name of the same ilk as Banjo-Kazooie or Yooka-Laylee. "The lovable Skrunko," a Made Up Cutesy Sounding Animal Species, as seen with things like Klonoa being a made up animal, or Croc advertising its "Gobbos," or hell, even Ratchet's status as a "Lombax." "From the great platformer they played 26 years ago," where not only is the genre very clearly stated, and more context is added (referring to the collapse of 3D platformers as a major genre that happened around the turn of the century).

Obviously the language shifts over time, but acting like "Scrimblo Bimblo" never meant anything and that people used it to describe anything is way off base and comes off as almost deliberately obtuse.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If Arms gets another game do they get another fighter? Ngl I hate the Arms AT and if he was in instead of min min and designed like that I'd be mad and I don't even use min min or play arms.

Top Bottom