• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I’ve already made some “what if X game got more dev time” posts, I know, but I decided to make this one after thinking about the infamous “Forbidden Seven”. What if Brawl got more dev time and was released in December 2008?

For my interpretation, I primarily focused on how members of the Forbidden Seven would work in the roster, assuming that my mind could see them work as fighters.
(Italics bold denotes unlockables)
Mario​
Luigi
Peach​
Bowser​
Dr. Mario
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Dixie Kong
Wario​
Yoshi​
Link​
Zelda / Sheik​
Ganondorf
Tetra
Samus / Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Falco
Wolf
Pikachu​
Pokémon Trainer​
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Plusle & Minun​
Lucario
Ness
Lucas​
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers​
Marth
Roy
Ike​
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit​
Olimar​
DeMille
R.O.B.
Snake​
Sonic
RANDOM​

Starting roster
Mario​
Peach​
Bowser​
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Wario​
Yoshi​
Link​
Zelda / Sheik​
Samus / Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Pokémon Trainer​
Plusle & Minun​
Lucas​
Ice Climbers​
Ike​
Pit​
Olimar​
Snake​
RANDOM​

Unlockable characters
CharacterHow to unlock
Luigi​
  • Clear Classic as any character
  • Have Luigi join you in SSE
Dr. Mario​
  • Clear Classic as Mario without losing a life
  • After beating SSE, find in a secret door
Dixie Kong​
  • Clear 3-Minute Brawl
  • Have Dixie join you in SSE
Ganondorf​
  • Clear Classic with Link and Zelda on Hard or higher
  • Have Ganondorf join you in SSE
Tetra​
  • Complete all target test difficulties with any character
  • Have Tetra join you in SSE
Falco​
  • Clear 100-Man Brawl
  • Have Falco join you in SSE
Wolf​
  • Clear Boss Battles as Fox and Falco
Jigglypuff​
  • Summon 50 Poké Ball Pokémon
Mewtwo​
  • See the Legendary Pokémon Mew
  • Have Mewtwo join you in SSE
Lucario​
  • Survive up to 182% without losing a life
  • Have Lucario join you in SSE
Ness​
  • Reflect 10 projectiles
  • Have Ness join you in SSE
Captain Falcon​
  • Clear Classic on Normal or higher within 12 minutes
  • Have Captain Falcon join you in SSE
Marth​
  • Clear Classic as any character w/o continues
  • Have Marth join you in SSE
Roy​
  • Clear Classic as Marth w/o continues
Mr. Game & Watch​
  • Clear target test with 15+ characters
  • Have Mr. Game & Watch join you in SSE
DeMille​
  • Score 100 K.O.'s with items
  • Have DeMille join you in SSE
R.O.B.​
  • Collect 250 different trophies
  • Have R.O.B. join you in SSE
Sonic​
  • Clear SSE
  • Clear Classic Mode as 10+ characters
  • Play 20 combined hours of Vs. Matches

Vs. Matches
  1. Luigi: 5
  2. Ness: 10
  3. Captain Falcon: 25
  4. Jigglypuff: 50
  5. Dr. Mario: 75
  6. Dixie Kong: 100
  7. Tetra: 125
  8. Falco: 150
  9. Marth: 175
  10. Mewtwo: 200
  11. Lucario: 225
  12. Marth: 250
  13. DeMille: 275
  14. R.O.B.: 300
  15. Roy: 350
  16. Mr. Game & Watch: 400
  17. Wolf: 450
  18. Sonic: 500
  1. Battlefield​
  2. Final Destination​
  3. Delfino Plaza​
  4. Mario Circuit​
  5. Luigi’s Mansion
  6. Mario Bros.
  7. WarioWare, Inc.​
  8. Rumble Falls​
  9. 75m
  10. Bridge of Eldin
  11. Pirate Ship
  12. Norfair
  13. Frigate Orpheon
  14. Yoshi’s Island
  15. Halberd
  16. Rainbow Route
  17. Lylat Cruise
  18. Pokémon Stadium 2
  19. Spear Pillar
  20. New Pork City
  21. Port Town Aero Dive
  22. Summit
  23. Castle Siege
  24. Flat Zone 2
  25. Skyworld
  26. Distant Planet
  27. Spillville
  28. Gyromite
  29. Smashville
  30. Pictochat
  31. Hanenbow
  32. Shadow Moses Island
  33. Green Hill Zone
  1. Final Destination (Melee)
  2. Rainbow Cruise​
  3. Jungle Japes
  4. Temple​
  5. Brinstar​
  6. Yoshi’s Island (Melee)​
  7. Green Greens
  8. Corneria​
  9. Pokémon Stadium
  10. Onett​
  11. Big Blue
  • Mewtwo, Dr. Mario and Roy were brought back because, as veterans, they take less time to develop compared to full-on newcomers (even less time for the latter two, as they’re clones)
  • Dixie Kong and Plusle & Minun are an odd case here. Dixie was supposed to be part of a tag team with Diddy Kong, but this was hampered by technical limitations, so I figured she could still get in as a semi-clone of Diddy Kong. The actual tag team duo would be Plusle & Minun (commonly theorized to be the “pra_mai” character due to the codename being the same as their Japanese names), who would be semi-clones of Pichu without the recoil damage.
  • Finally, there’s “toon_zelda” and “toon_sheik”, also commonly theorized to be Tetra. I went with Tetra in particular solely because I wanted a Wind Waker rep that wasn’t just another clone of Link.
  • DeMille is the odd one out purely because he’s not part from Tomato Adventure of the Forbidden Seven at all. However, DeMille did appear twice in a character poll Sakurai put up before Brawl came out, so I put him in the roster because of that (along with figuring he’d be another cool surprise character).
  • Other characters that were considered include PAC-MAN, Villager, Nintendog, Miis, Geno, Blastoise and Krystal. Ultimately, I left all of them out in favor of the characters who are known to have leftover data in Brawl’s files (and DeMille).
Because I'm bored, I felt like sharing a somewhat different roster that takes more creative liberties with the roster at large.
Colors
  • Green means they’re staying
  • Red means they’re being cut / replaced
  • Yellow denotes replacements for the cut characters
  • Blue denotes brand new characters
  • Italics bold denotes unlockable characters
Canon characters
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus / Zero Suit Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Luigi
  • Ness
  • Captain Falcon
  • Jigglypuff: This is assuming another character was part of the original 12 instead of Jigglypuff (who I see best as a Poké Ball summon)
  • Peach
  • Bowser
  • Ice Climbers
  • Zelda / Sheik
  • Dr. Mario: Basically, a character with no reason to be a playable character at all, clone or otherwise. I’d just not include him in Melee at all
  • Pichu: A bit more justified than Dr. Mario as a clone, but I’m still cutting it from the series altogether
  • Falco
  • Marth
  • Young Link: Same reason as Dr. Mario and Pichu
  • Ganondorf
  • Mewtwo
  • Roy: Similar to Jigglypuff, I’m pretending Roy never got in Melee
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Meta Knight
  • Pit
  • Wario
  • Snake
  • Ike
  • Pokémon Trainer: This is more of a gray area; the Trainer himself is staying, but Squirtle and Ivysaur are being replaced by starters from other generations.
  • Diddy Kong
  • Lucas
  • Sonic
  • King Dedede
  • Olimar
  • Lucario
  • R.O.B.
  • Toon Link: Again, similar to the other clones I axed, Toon Link is being replaced as well.
  • Wolf
Characters that stay
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Luigi
  10. Ness
  11. Captain Falcon
  12. Peach
  13. Bowser
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Zelda / Sheik
  16. Falco
  17. Marth
  18. Ganondorf
  19. Mewtwo
  20. Mr. Game & Watch
  21. Meta Knight
  22. Pit
  23. Wario
  24. Snake
  25. Ike
  26. Pokémon Trainer
  27. Diddy Kong
  28. Lucas
  29. Sonic
  30. King Dedede
  31. Olimar
  32. Lucario
  33. R.O.B.
  34. Wolf
Newcomers
  • Meowth: My idea of Jigglypuff’s replacement. With how much more recurring Meowth is, I will always maintain that he should’ve been part of the original 12.
  • Lyn: Basically, the Elibe rep of Brawl, as she was the first Lord introduced in FE7, the first Fire Emblem game released in the West
  • Pokémon Trainer’s team is now Totodile, Grovyle and Charizard for the sake of staying true to the “evolution stages” idea Sakurai had while representing other generations
  • Tetra: The Wind Waker rep of Brawl
  • Dixie Kong: She was planned to be in a tag team with Diddy, but that didn’t work out, so I decided to include her as a semi-clone of Diddy instead
  • Plusle & Minun: Rumored to be one of the possible “pra_mai” characters. I figured Plusle and Minun would be the best-case scenario for this code name, so I decided to include them as a tag team who act as spiritual successors to Pichu’s moveset.
  • Isaac: One of the Assist Trophies of Brawl is now a playable character; with how much of a cult classic Golden Sun is, I wanted to throw its fans a bone, even as someone who’s never played it
  • DeMille: This was a character I threw in out of self-indulgence, but he did appear twice on a character poll Sakurai held before Brawl, so DeMille has at least a bit of justification for my inclusion of him here.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Wario
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Link
Zelda / Sheik
Ganondorf
Tetra
Samus / Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Pikachu
Meowth
Mewtwo
Pokémon Trainer
Plusle & Minun
Lucario
Ness
Lucas
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Marth
Lyn
Ike
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit
Olimar
Isaac
DeMille
R.O.B.
Snake
Sonic
RANDOM​

Starting roster
Mario​
Peach​
Bowser​
Yoshi​
Wario​
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Link​
Zelda / Sheik​
Samus / Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Pokémon Trainer​
Plusle & Minun​
Lucas​
Ice Climbers​
Lyn​
Ike​
Pit​
Olimar​
Snake​
RANDOM​
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Luigi
  10. Ness
  11. Captain Falcon
  12. Meowth
  13. Peach
  14. Bowser
  15. Ice Climbers
  16. Zelda
  17. Sheik
  18. Falco
  19. Marth
  20. Ganondorf
  21. Mewtwo
  22. Mr. Game & Watch
  23. Meta Knight
  24. Lyn
  25. Pit
  26. Plusle & Minun
  27. Snake
  28. Zero Suit Samus
  29. Wario
  30. Ike
  31. Totodile
  32. Grovyle
  33. Charizard
  34. Diddy Kong
    • 34ε. Dixie Kong
  35. Lucas
  36. Sonic
  37. King Dedede
  38. Olimar
  39. Tetra
  40. Lucario
  41. Isaac
  42. DeMille
  43. R.O.B.
  44. Wolf

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 377646
SUCH a pity he's not in smash.
Imagine's Dholmagus edgeguard game if this move was in his special move list :scared::scared::scared::scared:.

My mind says Slime, but my heart says Sylvando
Sylvando would be interesting, his have a ball move could be a good special move that could cause balls fall from the sky and bounce, maybe he could have hot lick as his side tilt, sobering slap as his side smash because why not lmao.

Dragon Quest characters have so much moveset potential honestly, i t think it would be cool to see another rep eventually.

Another cool pick would be Yangus from VIII.
It would be cool if one of his special attacks was Golden Oldies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Dude ngl DQ8 is my favorite but I'd love any additional content but FF7 got a bunch let's let DQ8 shine brightly! Yangus haha shoot Grandad his final Smash ... damn I'm gonna end up playing this now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I genuinely thought her name was morganna, I thought we were talking about someone else
Ah, fair enough.

-----------

That said, I would love Slime to be in. With tons of Slime-related species, even costumes are fairly easy. Normally Metally(Metal Slime) would make sense, but that's better to reserve for the Metal Box transformation. There's still a fair amount of designs you can go with, even if it's just taking something Slime Knight and giving Slime armor based upon it.

Curious now that Disney is part of Smash do you think wreck-it Ralph is a viable pick? Do you see him as a 3rd party or 4th party?
Non-gaming 3rd party. He was created for a movie, not for a game. Though in a silly timing, a game demo came out first, so technically he debuted in a game. But in reality, that doesn't count(even if the full game released first, it would be to promote his movie, which is the main item). It's a non-game franchise at its core. That should make it clear. If the game franchise and movie franchise were debuting at the same time(and Wreck-It Ralph was considered from a game in general, even if debuting at the same time), that'd be different. A lot of times alternate work materials(I.E. Manga, Comics, Cartoons) show up around the same time as a video game franchise. It's not really what debuts first, but what the franchise recognizes its core as. In this case, it's a movie franchise first and foremost. Compare Digimon, which was made as a game franchise but has tons of notable non-game material, being a good polar opposite of Wreck-It Ralph's situation.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Y'know, now that I think about it, outside of those Mii costumes and the cast from XI, the non-Hero party members don't get very much in Smash Bros.

Thus, here's a list of DQ party members that could work as Smash fighters:

Tsarevna Alena (IV)
Terry (VI)
Yangus (VIII)
Jessica Albert (VIII)
Angelo (VIII)
Erik (XI)
Veronica (XI)
Sylvando (XI)

While we're at it, if the Slime becomes a fighter, what Dragon Quest characters (party member, monster, or otherwise) do you think would make a good Assist Trophy?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Curious now that Disney is part of Smash do you think wreck-it Ralph is a viable pick? Do you see him as a 3rd party or 4th party?
Disney is part of smash by a technicality because of Kingdom Hearts being co-owned by both them and Square-Enix.
And considering they avoided to reference anything Disney, it should picture you that anything that is not GAME-ONLY will never appear

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Still 4th party; his origins are still not of a video game despite the movie being about the subject matter.
One of the beauties of the Super Smash Bros. series is that it only accepts video game characters and not those that aren't or what we call "4th party characters".
There is some weird "Grey Area" between what's from a video game or not.
And I don't think ficticious video games that appeared in other media are on that section.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
There is some weird "Grey Area" between what's from a video game or not.
And I don't think ficticious video games that appeared in other media are on that section.
Boy just wait until people discover what is Dracula's origin. /s

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I noticed this account just popped up out of nowhere, they seem to be implying Alph getting his own slot is part of the supposed new content, Its most likely nothing but I thought it was worth sharing.
Not entirely sure why we should give this guy any stock, but I'd be interested in a full Alph echo fighter.

Imagine the salt if Ultimate does receive an update and that's the only new content though :4pacman:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Disney is part of smash by a technicality because of Kingdom Hearts being co-owned by both them and Square-Enix.
And considering they avoided to reference anything Disney, it should picture you that anything that is not GAME-ONLY will never appear
it's not co-owned

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Imagine the salt if Ultimate does receive an update and that's the only new content though :4pacman:
I may have said adding more unique fighters to an already incredibly large roster was gonna be hard, but I wasn't gonna be as pessimistic as "an echo made out of an already existing fighter model is all you can get"

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I noticed this account just popped up out of nowhere, they seem to be implying Alph getting his own slot is part of the supposed new content, Its most likely nothing but I thought it was worth sharing.
You know what? I don't care, I'd be into this. Heck, I'm one of those folks who still believe that Alph was robbed, especially when looking at characters like Princess Daisy.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Actually, on this note - if a Deluxe were to come out, would you prefer that clones, semi-clones and Echo Fighters are brought over from Ultimate as-is with no exceptions, all of them getting changed and made more unique, or on a case-by-case basis?
All of them getting changed and made more unique (again, something that should’ve been that case for everyone that isn’t Ken).

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
it's not co-owned
1694643528118.png

That's from their annual presentation, this year, there's like way many more pages, but just a small brief, where they're citing KH as their own IP in their "IP"section alongside Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and more as their third pillar.

1694643883322.png

Naoki Yoshida explained that the reasons that FFXIV won't cross over with KH yet is because it's owned by both Square-Enix and Disney.
There's also an interview of Nomura back in 2004
And then Sakurai's interview itself explaining how KH is both Disney and Square-Enix who needs verification because they both own it.

What disney own is the idea of the character Sora.
However it's video game depiction is own by both them and Square-Enix.
Disney can do whatever the **** they want with Sora, but if they do, he can't be close or do anything like his Video game depiction if SE isn't involved or didn't give approval.

Hope it helped.

I've been through this for the past 13 years, but people can't look around to find an answers.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 377661

That's from their annual presentation, this year, there's like way many more pages, but just a small brief, where they're citing KH as their own IP in their "IP"section alongside Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and more as their third pillar.

View attachment 377663

Naoki Yoshida explained that the reasons that FFXIV won't cross over with KH yet is because it's owned by both Square-Enix and Disney.
There's also an interview of Nomura back in 2014
And then Sakurai's interview itself explaining how KH is both Disney and Square-Enix who needs verification because they both own it.

Disney can do whatever the **** they want with Sora, but if they do, he can't be close or do anything like his Video game depiction if SE isn't involved or didn't give approval.

Hope it helped.
if you actually look at the images you’ll see it says copyright Disney developed by SE. so it did help prove my point

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
if you actually look at the images you’ll see it says copyright Disney developed by SE. so it did help prove my point
1694644225329.png

Co-Owned.
In their "Own IP" part of their annual fiscal where it says "collaboration between Disney and Square-Enix"
Naoki Yoshida who probably know more than both of us about IP and the company, working on FFXIV and FFXVI explaining that it's own by both of them.

Nomura in 2004 explaining so.
Sakurai explaining so for Sora in smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 377664

Co-Owned.
In their "Own IP" part of their annual fiscal where it says "collaboration between Disney and Square-Enix"
Naoki Yoshida who probably know more than both of us about IP and the company, working on FFXIV and FFXVI explaining that it's own by both of them.

Yep. There's more than enough information that makes it clear.

It doesn't help that these aren't common images people look for, and tend to get it wrong(like I did earlier).

What I want to know is what the heck is going on with SMRPG. I'm guessing something to a similar degree.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Boy just wait until people discover what is Dracula's origin. /s
I heard he was from this anime from the 30s that stars actual real people because at that time they hadn't figured out how to make the drawings move. I assumed the manga hadn't been adapted into color yet, which is why the anime wasn't in color either.

But then I was reassured he was actually from this really weird manga that doesn't have any pictures at all, and you read it backwards... just rows of letters at a time. Sounds confusing.

But then I was told he was actually based on a really old real life guy named Vlad the Poker, who I watched a documentary about.

I think those are all lies though, and he's actually just from the NES game. Otherwise how could he have gotten into Smash?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 377664

Co-Owned.

how do I explain this: when the copyright is next to one company it means that company is the sole owner

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yep. There's more than enough information that makes it clear.

It doesn't help that these aren't common images people look for, and tend to get it wrong(like I did earlier).

What I want to know is what the heck is going on with SMRPG. I'm guessing something to a similar degree.
SMRPG situation is the same as KH but in reverse in some way.
Where Nintendo Own the IP (obviously) but Square-Enix own the characters and the rights to develop it.

Which is why the remake is happening, because of how recently (as seen with the amount of games and now characters in smash) Nintendo and Square-Enix are basically back to a very good cooperation, where in the later 90 to 2010's it wasn't cold, but like...NOT THE BEST at all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
SMRPG situation is the same as KH but in reverse in some way.
Where Nintendo Own the IP (obviously) but Square-Enix own the characters and the rights to develop it.

Which is why the remake is happening, because of how recently (as seen with the amount of games and now characters in smash) Nintendo and Square-Enix are basically back to a very good cooperation, where in the later 90 to 2010's it wasn't cold, but like...NOT THE BEST at all.
Ah, thank you. I was confused how co-owned it really was, mainly. That explains it quite well~

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
View attachment 377661

View attachment 377663

There's also an interview of Nomura back in 2004

Hope it helped.

I've been through this for the past 13 years, but people can't look around to find an answers.
Whatever happened to these two games i wonder

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I don’t think you quite understand the difference between saying you own something and actually owning something
I...
I have no word.

I thought I was done with that when Sora actually got in smash, but I give up.

If even Square-Enix comes forward, telling to the people giving them money "Yo bro, me and the mouse own that things togethers" and even explain "Yo the mouse has like 70% we have the last 30% but still, it's both our kid"
1694645794379.png

When the director of FFXVI and FFXIV explained to the fans that, it would be hard to get Kingdom Hearts items in FFXIV because it's both Disney and Square-Enix who own it like "Ayoo, can't do that, would take too long to do that **** bruh"
1694645781241.png

When Sakurai goes like "Ayo bro, to get that Mickey Mouse boy thing in it was hard bro, I had to asks to the Mouse, to Square-Enix AND To Nomura, nah bruh, like what"
1694645709486.png

And when the creator himself, Nomura is like "My kid belong to both Square-Enix and Disney"
1694645696654.png

If Disney has a copyright symbol on it, it's MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, They own the rights of Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Goofy, and like 80% of the world of Kingdom Hearts in it?
That copyrights laws go beyond a "c Disney" in term of ownership.

But you know what, sure, go ahead, you know more than the company itself lying to it's stakeholder or the people working for the IP.
I don't care, Sora is in smash, I know I'm right, and I know the Sora Amiibo is coming soon anyway.

So I give up, I'll just say that if I had to say what I really think.

Sorry for interupting your thread with proof and more for an IP and character that is now in smash. But I feel this is going to happens every time no matter what.

Top Bottom