• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
With Ultimate’s FPs having 3 characters from Square Enix, I’ll just pose this question:

If you were able to pick 3 characters from the same company for Smash 6’s passes, what would you go with?
Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Illidan Stormrage (WarCraft)

1682450712540.jpeg
1682450665645.jpeg

1682450770903.jpeg

If ActiVision/Blizzard doesn’t count towards Microsoft, I’ll go with Joanna Dark.

1682450899948.jpeg

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Having a Persona rep could lead to a Shin Megami Tensei rep because even it is a bigger series, it clearly cannot represent the entire franchise as a whole. Like I said before, staple characters such as Jack Frost and Pixie don't even make any appearances in Smash Ultimate, even though they do make appearances in the Persona games. And since Persona did spinoff the SMT series, I can't picture this connection being completely left out of the Smash Bros series.
You're under the impression that representing an entire series is something they care about, especially from a historic but puny franchise.

Again, I shall point to FF7 which doesn't feel the need to show off anything from beyond a single game universe and Joker who doesn't even bother referencing even Persona 1 or 2.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You're under the impression that representing an entire series is something they care about, especially from a historic but puny franchise.

Again, I shall point to FF7 which doesn't feel the need to show off anything from beyond a single game universe and Joker who doesn't even bother referencing even Persona 1 or 2.
It slightly does show a little, but it's barely much at all. The Ifrit summon in Midgar is actually from FFVIII(for whatever reason, they didn't use the normal model. The Spirit does however use the FFVII design) and the Chocobo Hat is based upon the design from a DS spin-off. Which pretty much shows either way they're laser-focused on VII.

Dragon Quest also heavily focuses on XI, though it does have a fair bit from the other games too. It's not that terribly lopsided.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Also since I have not shilled the poll yet this week, here's the current SCCC poll.

Topic is Pokemon, goal is to get this article out in mid May. Will have the poll open for ~3 weeks.
Alright, I finally filled one of these out. I’m glad to see Gengar as an option. If for some reason we get an older Pokémon I think it’s near the top of the list for most likely but I’m still expecting a Gen 9 Pokémon if we only get one. Out of all the options on the poll for Gen 9, I’d love to see Ceruledge. My other favorites from this Gen are Lokix, Great Tusk, and Koraidon. If we include Legends Arceus, I’d love to see either Sneasler or Hisuian Zoroark.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Ivander

Smash Legend
and the Chocobo Hat is based upon the design from a DS spin-off.
PS1. Chocobo Dungeon started on Playstation 1.
If you were able to pick 3 characters from the same company for Smash 6’s passes, what would you go with?
Capcom:
-Monster Hunter
-Dante
-Chun-Li

Sega:
-Alis Landale or The Guardian from Phantasy Star
-Dr. Eggman
-Arle

Konami:
-Bomberman
-Bill Rizer/Lance Bean
-Alucard

Namco Bandai:
-Yuri Lowell
-Chosen Undead
-KOS-MOS

Square Enix:
-Crono
-Black Mage
-Neku Sakuraba

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I might have some good news for you:

Forgive me, but what does this mean, exactly? Don't mean to sound dumb, just wanted to make sure on what the "close" part means, though I think I have an idea of what it means.

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw another tweet that confirms what it means.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Forgive me, but what does this mean, exactly? Don't mean to sound dumb, just wanted to make sure on what the "close" part means, though I think I have an idea of what it means.

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw another tweet that confirms what it means.
Hopefully no one raises any issues before it's actually a done deal. Or hopefully someone does if you're in the anti merger camp.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
With Ultimate’s FPs having 3 characters from Square Enix, I’ll just pose this question:

Konami:
Tako/Takosuke/Takohiko/Belial (Parodius)
Raiden (Metal Gear)
Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)

Sega:
Arle (Puyo Puyo)
Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Kiryu (Yakuza/Like A Dragon)

Capcom:
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Zero (Mega Man X)
Demitri (Darkstalkers)

Namco:
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
The Prince (Katamari Damacy)
Klonoa (Klonoa)

Square-Enix:
Bubblun (Bubble Bobble and all Taito)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Terra (Final Fantasy VI)

Microsoft:
Doomguy (Doom)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Crash (if the acquisition goes through)

SNK:
Iori Yagami (The King of Fighters)
Metal Slug SV-001 (Metal Slug)
Haohmaru (Samurai Shodown)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here's a few others for other companies since I only did Microsoft last time:

Namco/Bandai:
Alphen and Shionne (Tales of Arise)
Velvet Crowe (Tales of Vesperia)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

Square-Enix:
Magus (Chrono Trigger)
Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean 3)
H'aanit (Octopath Traveller)

Capcom:
Zero (Mega Man X)
Vega (Street Fighter)
Guile (Street Fighter)

Sega:
Knuckles (Sonic)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Vector Man (Vector Man)

Konami:
Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
Alucard (Castlevania)
Bomberman (Bomberman)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
PS1. Chocobo Dungeon started on Playstation 1.
Looks like I had it off either way too. The design is apparently based upon the specific Wii game itself, though the Ultimate version takes more from the Switch/PS4 port. My guess is since the DS version was the latest, it's loosely based more on that than the Wii one in 4.

Either way, it's more based upon this particular game(which is a loose sequel to the original) instead from my understanding(and what I've read up on).

That said, to say the least, it's not really all that great for general FF fans when two things in Smash are not based directly on FFVII. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon is also the latest entry in the series(which only release on the Wii and later DS at the time), so a decently easy one to take from, heh.

I don't remember if they spoke on why they used FFVIII's Ifrit for the summon in Midgar, though. Easier to animate or something?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Looks like I had it off either way too. The design is apparently based upon the specific Wii game itself, though the Ultimate version takes more from the Switch/PS4 port. My guess is since the DS version was the latest, it's loosely based more on that than the Wii one in 4.

Either way, it's more based upon this particular game(which is a loose sequel to the original) instead from my understanding(and what I've read up on).

That said, to say the least, it's not really all that great for general FF fans when two things in Smash are not based directly on FFVII. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon is also the latest entry in the series(which only release on the Wii and later DS at the time), so a decently easy one to take from, heh.

I don't remember if they spoke on why they used FFVIII's Ifrit for the summon in Midgar, though. Easier to animate or something?
I was a huge fan of Final Fantasy back in the PS2 days. Final Fantasy X was my first FF but I went back and played III, IV, VI, VII, VIII, and IX as well as XII, XIII, and XV. Overall, I’d say IX is my favorite (as well as possible favorite game ever) followed by X and then VII. Despite VII, only being third, Sephiroth is my favorite character in the series and Vincent Valentine is probably the coolest playable character in the series. While I’d love some varied representation (particularly from IX and X), I’m perfectly content with only getting characters from VII. Even though he’s be yet another character from FFVII, I think Vincent could still be one of the coolest and most unique characters in Smash. I’d love to get either him or a summoner character (my favorite being Garnet) in the next Smash.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, in my defense, even some anti-merger people are in favor of this specifically because they want Bobby Kotick gone, golden parachute be damned...
Well, maybe it is kinda that for me. That said, here is my stance.

On one hand, I would love to see Activision-Blizzard go through some good changes, as Microsoft did say they would make beneficial changes to the company; staff, games and all. On the other hand, I feel that despite Microsoft saying they would allow Activision-Blizzard games on other systems and all, I feel like Microsoft is becoming a monopoly, or (maybe unintentionally) trying to. With that said, monopolies are not really a good thing.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

Not technically true. Final Fantasy does come with Chocobos (both spirit and Mii costumes) and Moogles, both which are recurring characters in their series in the same way Jack Frost and Pixie are in theirs. Also, if SMT is a historic series, then why wouldn't Nintendo care about that? If you put that together with Persona, then you got both a huge franchise (not puny like you said) and a historic one and I see no reason for Nintendo to ignore that.

Also, you're only going by Final Fantasy but look at Dragon Quest. Despite the name, they clearly were not going by content only from Dragon Quest XI.

Last edited:

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Now that I’ve had some time to think it over, this was the best I could come up with:

Capcom:
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Monster Hunter Stories character

Microsoft:
Doomguy (Doom)
Crash Bandicoot
Tracer (Overwatch)

Sony:
Sly Cooper
Kratos (God of War)
Ratchet and Clank

Square Enix:
2B (Nier Automata)
Geno
Riku (Kingdom Hearts)

Sega:
Dr Eggman (Sonic)
Jack Frost (SMT)
Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was a huge fan of Final Fantasy back in the PS2 days. Final Fantasy X was my first FF but I went back and played III, IV, VI, VII, VIII, and IX as well as XII, XIII, and XV. Overall, I’d say IX is my favorite (as well as possible favorite game ever) followed by X and then VII. Despite VII, only being third, Sephiroth is my favorite character in the series and Vincent Valentine is probably the coolest playable character in the series. While I’d love some varied representation (particularly from IX and X), I’m perfectly content with only getting characters from VII. Even though he’s be yet another character from FFVII, I think Vincent could still be one of the coolest and most unique characters in Smash. I’d love to get either him or a summoner character (my favorite being Garnet) in the next Smash.
Nice.

Yeah, overall, I don't mind who the playable characters are either. They're both awesome additions. I'd love Squall in, as FFVIII is my favorite of all time. I mean, I'm glad VIII has a reference anyway. Sure, it's kind of a weird one, but.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Now that I’ve had some time to think it over, this was the best I could come up with:

Capcom:
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Monster Hunter Stories character

Microsoft:
Doomguy (Doom)
Crash Bandicoot
Tracer (Overwatch)

Sony:
Sly Cooper
Kratos (God of War)
Ratchet and Clank

Square Enix:
2B (Nier Automata)
Geno
Riku (Kingdom Hearts)

Sega:
Dr Eggman (Sonic)
Jack Frost (SMT)
Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)

Square does not own the Kingdom Hearts characters: Disney does.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

KonamiSegaCapcomNamcoSquare-EnixMicrosoftSNKDisney
BombermanAlex KiddHsien-KoAgumonGenoCrash BandicootMarco RossiPenguin (Club Penguin)
Master HigginsJack FrostArthurLloydSpace InvadersDoom SlayerAthenaZeke (Zombies ate my neighbours)
Pyramid HeadVectormanDanteTaizo HoriCronoRash (Battletoads)NakoruruRalph (Wreck-it Ralph)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Um, looks like that deal might not be happening.

Microsoft says they are going to appeal this.
funny, i thought the uk was in favour of capitalism. to an insane degree

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That does seem crazy. Say, how would this deal have affected cloud gaming, anyway?
I... don't know. They were kinda vague about it, TBH. Heck, Microsoft had actually made deals with the likes of Nvidia to ensure ActiBlizz games would come to that platform, so you could argue NOT allowing the deal hurts cloud gaming more than it helps it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Haven’t the faintest idea
Neither do I. Cloud gaming did not seem to be that much of a thing Microsoft was planning with buying Activision-Blizzard. With that, the reason that the CMA came up with may have been biased, if you know what I mean.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Enjoy not having those games in the UK then. That market is small enough that MS would rather just not do business there then give up on a merger this size.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Enjoy not having those games in the UK then. That market is small enough that MS would rather just not do business there then give up on a merger this size.
Forgive me if I come off as doubtful, but would you happen to have any data and stats to back up that claim? I've seen people suggest MS would do that, but I haven't seen any data myself...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That... is not true in the slightest. When you are an international company that does way more than just videogames you can't just decide to ignore the law. You'd have to restructure the entire company and it would be a colossal PR disaster.

And moreover, this gives precedence for the FTC to shut them down anyways so it might be blocked by them too.

Last edited:

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice

Square does not own the Kingdom Hearts characters: Disney does.
My bad; he was the only one I could think of since they’re the ones who develop the KH games. I was originally going to go with Lara Croft, but Square Enix sold off her series for NFTs for some god forsaken reason.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
My bad; he was the only one I could think of since they’re the ones who develop the KH games. I was originally going to go with Lara Croft, but Square Enix sold off her series for NFTs for some god forsaken reason.
Probably the same reason they thought making an AI game was a good idea...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Forgive me if I come off as doubtful, but would you happen to have any data and stats to back up that claim? I've seen people suggest MS would do that, but I haven't seen any data myself...
The UK represents less than 3% of the global video game market.

When you are an international company that does way more than just videogames you can't just decide to ignore the law.
There's nothing against the law about it. If your merger is denied by a single country you can simply decide to...proceed with your merger, and just not do business in that country anymore.

And moreover, this gives precedence for the FTC to shut them down anyways so it might be blocked by them too.
That would certainly be a more significant issue.

Top Bottom