• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gun to my head, here is how I would feel about the odds of the following Sega Franchises making it into Smash

Likely : Second Sonic Character, Phantasy Star, Yakuza/Like a Dragon, Megami Tensei, Puyo
Not our of the question: Virtua Fighter, Sakura Wars, Etrian Odyssey, Second Persona Character, Second Bayonetta Character
Not Too Likely: Angry Birds, Streets of Rage, Shining, Valkyria Chronicles, Crazy Taxi, Total War, House of the Dead, Panzer Dragoon
Not Happening: Altered Beast, Space Channel 5, After Burner, Alex Kidd, Golden Axe, Ecco the Dolphin, Shenmue, Monkey Ball, Trauma Center, Wonder Boy, Gunstar Heroes, Nights

IMO Phantasy Star is one of the biggest sleeper picks rn, buy stock in that getting into Smash at some point.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Gun to my head, here is how I would feel about the odds of the following Sega Franchises making it into Smash

Likely : Second Sonic Character, Phantasy Star, Yakuza/Like a Dragon, Megami Tensei
Not our of the question: Virtua Fighter, Sakura Wars, Etrian Odyssey, Second Persona Character, Second Bayonetta Character
Not Too Likely: Angry Birds, Streets of Rage, Shining, Valkyria Chronicles, Crazy Taxi, Total War, House of the Dead, Panzer Dragoon
Not Happening: Altered Beast, Space Channel 5, After Burner, Alex Kidd, Golden Axe, Ecco the Dolphin, Shenmue, Monkey Ball, Trauma Center, Wonder Boy, Gunstar Heroes, Nights

IMO Phantasy Star is one of the biggest sleeper picks rn, buy stock in that getting into Smash at some point.
Are we talking characters or just any content? Cause if any content, After Burner already got in Smash, thanks to the Bayonetta version of the one After Burner song. That aside, I'd put Monkey Ball and NiGHTs higher since the latest Monkey Ball I think did good to ensure the series and NiGHTs tends to be a fan-favourite among fans and Sega developers. Maybe Space Channel 5 if somehow that rumoured movie does decently.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Likely : Second Sonic Character, Phantasy Star, Yakuza/Like a Dragon, Megami Tensei, Puyo

I dunno about playable characters, but I think most of these franchises would’ve at least made for a decent selection of songs, Spirits and Assist Trophies.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Are we talking characters or just any content? Cause if any content, After Burner already got in Smash, thanks to the Bayonetta version of the one After Burner song. That aside, I'd put Monkey Ball and NiGHTs higher since the latest Monkey Ball I think did good to ensure the series and NiGHTs tends to be a fan-favourite among fans and Sega developers. Maybe Space Channel 5 if somehow that rumoured movie does decently.
Meant playable characters, my b.

Not confident in Monkey Ball getting anything beyond a Assist Trophy or something. It just would be hard to keep the soul of the series and implement it in as a playable character. Nights also I think will just stay a developer favorite so long as it is dormant.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm glad other people have faith in additional non-Persona Megaten content in Smash because I certainly don't lol.

I see it as a very similar situation to Final Fantasy. Why add any breadth when you can specialize in the single one everyone wants and make ten times the splash and make ten times the sales.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not confident in Monkey Ball getting anything beyond a Assist Trophy or something. It just would be hard to keep the soul of the series and implement it in as a playable character.
I mean, if people are okay with Waluigi using stuff from the spin-off games, let alone Peach & Daisy using Sports equipment for Forward Smashes, I don't see an issue with AiAi using a mix of Monkey Ball physics and the Monkey Ball multiplayer games, like Boxing/Fight, Monkey Target & Dogfight(like AiAi's Up-B being the ball opening up and becoming a set of wings/glider for a bit), Monkey Baseball, Monkey Shot, etc.
I'm glad other people have faith in additional non-Persona Megaten content in Smash because I certainly don't lol.

I see it as a very similar situation to Final Fantasy. Why add any breadth when you can specialize in the single one everyone wants and make ten times the splash and make ten times the sales.
I have hope in Final Fantasy considering Sakurai was not against choosing Bartz or Terra. And even though FFVII is the most popular, Square and their developers clearly acknowledge the other games in terms of their own popularity and fanbases, so I don't think they'd be against another FF character if Sakurai would like to add them rather than another FFVII character. And Square Enix certainly wasn't against Dragon Quest 4 or 8 getting an alternate character over Dragon Quest 5, which is without doubt in the Top 3 most popular Dragon Quest games, if not the Number 1.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Although the Final Fantasy series in Smash is specifically referred to as the Final Fantasy VII series in things such as the music test menu. They would have to rename it if they add a new FF character who isn't from 7.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Although the Final Fantasy series in Smash is specifically referred to as the Final Fantasy VII series in things such as the music test menu. They would have to rename it if they add a new FF character who isn't from 7.
Had it not for FFVII just using the initials of FF for it's icon, it would've been cool if each FF was represented with their title's logo, like FFVII with Meteor, FFV with the Wind Drake, FFVI with Terra on the Magitek armor, etc.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
If we're talking SEGA stuff I'd like to see in Smash? I, personally? Arle, Akira or Sakura would be the dreeeeeeam. The former two would basically be perfect SEGA candidates in my opinion, Sakura has decently large hurdles for now that we can't ignore but **** it I want her in.

That being said it will be a second Sonic or Atlus character because I am not allowed to be happy

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I would like to see a Virtua Fighter character for another Sega rep, or maybe someone like Beat from Jet Set Radio.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I mean, Persona isn’t Megaten, and arguably hasn’t been for a while at this point. While the series share some DNA it has branched out into its own larger thing. This is especially true with how the series shows up in Smash. Persona in Smash is very much P3 persona onwards.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Like Isabelle and chrome and k.rool?
The difference is they are 1st party and Tails is 3rd party, and Ultimate notably brought back all the 3rd party Mii Fighter costumes from Smash 4. I believe that Mii Fighter costumes are a permanent deconfirmation if the character is 3rd party.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The difference is they are 1st party and Tails is 3rd party, and Ultimate notably brought back all the 3rd party Mii Fighter costumes from Smash 4. I believe that Mii Fighter costumes are a permanent deconfirmation if the character is 3rd party.
This is some cart before the horse style thinking tbh.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Oh yeah I forgot about Phantasy star in my original "Sega characters that are still more likely than Angry birds" post. And I totally agree, Phantasy star is a huge sleeper pick. I'd say Jeanne is also pretty likely if they want a quick echo for Bayo.

Virtua fighter is an interesting case. In the current state of the franchise I don't think it's very likely to be honest. And even if Virtua fighter 6 exist, I highly doubt it could compete with other big fighting games coming, especially Tekken 8. I guess it could still get in as a retro/legacy pick, but I think Soul calibur or Guilty gear is more likely as the next fighting franchise rep in Smash.

Also, you forgot Jet set radio in your post. As of now, it's obviously not very likely (probably in the same category as Crazy taxi), but there's rumor about a big budget Jet set radio game coming. If it does happen and it's succesful, it could put Beat back on the map and he could be more seriously considered.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don’t follow your logic. They brought back nearly every mii costume

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Personally for new Sega characters, I'd love another Sonic character, Yu or a Valkyria Chronicles character.

Streets of Rage would be pretty hype too.

And how can we forget our savior, Opa-Opa?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have hope in Final Fantasy considering Sakurai was not against choosing Bartz or Terra. And even though FFVII is the most popular, Square and their developers clearly acknowledge the other games in terms of their own popularity and fanbases, so I don't think they'd be against another FF character if Sakurai would like to add them rather than another FFVII character. And Square Enix certainly wasn't against Dragon Quest 4 or 8 getting an alternate character over Dragon Quest 5, which is without doubt in the Top 3 most popular Dragon Quest games, if not the Number 1.
Square Enix being the game company that skipped making remakes of Final Fantasy 5 and 6 to make a Triple-A blockbuster remake of 7, split across a trilogy of remakes, and with a completely redone story and several 7-specific spinoff games? the same Square Enix with Sakurai that decided to add into Smash another character from 7 over a series with 14 (or more considering spinoffs) other entries and completely disregarding all other forms of music or even spirits?

There's quite a large gap between how Square Enix treats FF7 and the rest of their... everything else they own. Dragon Quest in particular might have a popular game in 5, but the gap between that and the rest of the series (which is at least represented somewhat), is miniscule compared to how much FF7 dwarfs the rest of its sisters. And regardless, 8 was massively popular in the West, 11 is the highest selling game, and 3 is THE most iconic Dragon Quest in spite of a lot of people liking 5.

Also let's be real, Sakurai isn't against picking other characters and I doubt Square Enix would say no to him, but he clearly has a preference for FF7 like most other people and considering how much extra stuff he added completely central to just 7. Tifa will be the first and last pick people have before they even think about... Zidane or Terra or whatever.

And besides aaaaaaaallllll of that...
My point was with Megaten, which is a number of degrees far more niche and gets even more overshadowed by specifically Persona 5.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Also, you forgot Jet set radio in your post. As of now, it's obviously not very likely (probably in the same category as Crazy taxi), but there's rumor about a big budget Jet set radio game coming. If it does happen and it's succesful, it could put Beat back on the map and he could be more seriously considered.
Footage of the new JSR game outright leaked along with the P3 remake thing, so....yeah it's real

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I was thinking heihachi but we did get Kazuya so .. but are there literally no 3rd party mii costumes that got upgraded to playable? There's gotta be some 1st party ones , no?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Just put in a bunch of SEGA **** to be honest. I wanna be able to drop Puyos on a mii wearing an Ulala costume as Magical Sound Shower plays in the background. Smash but good
Oh yeah, imo if another dev gets the SNK treatment it should be Sega. Give me music from Jet set radio, Outrun, Space channel 5, Panzer dragoon, Yakuza, Shinobi, Rez, Space harrier, Skies of Arcadia and Monkey ball.

I was thinking heihachi but we did get Kazuya so .. but are there literally no 3rd party mii costumes that got upgraded to playable? There's gotta be some 1st party ones , no?
Yeah none of them got upgrade to playable. But to be honest Smash 4 didn't have that much third party mii to begin with. Wave 1 had X and Proto man, Wave 2 had Jacky, Akira and Heihachi, Wave 3 was Lloyd, Wave 4 was Hunter and Ratahlos armor, Wave 5 was Chocobo and Geno and Wave 6 was Knuckles and Gil. Out of those, the only one who had chances to get upgrade imo was Heihachi, Lloyd, The Hunter and arguably Geno.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah none of them got upgrade to playable. But to be honest Smash 4 didn't have that much third party mii to begin with. Wave 1 had X and Proto man, Wave 2 had Jacky, Akira and Heihachi, Wave 3 was Lloyd, Wave 4 was Hunter and Ratahlos armor, Wave 5 was Chocobo and Geno and Wave 6 was Knuckles and Gil. Out of those, the only one who had chances to get upgrade imo was Heihachi, Lloyd, The Hunter and arguably Geno.
Interesting... So out of all those waves several did at least get upgraded to AT. So maybe Ultimate's costumes can be AT too. But since Tekken did get a rep this means I have hope for an AT upgrade for Akira for instance, or a costume upgrade to AT for Master Chief.

Obviously I'd prefer full on playability for everyone but I'll take what I can get, and I still don't subscribe to the notion that once a costume never playable.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

Having a Persona rep could lead to a Shin Megami Tensei rep because even it is a bigger series, it clearly cannot represent the entire franchise as a whole. Like I said before, staple characters such as Jack Frost and Pixie don't even make any appearances in Smash Ultimate, even though they do make appearances in the Persona games. And since Persona did spinoff the SMT series, I can't picture this connection being completely left out of the Smash Bros series.

Interesting... So out of all those waves several did at least get upgraded to AT. So maybe Ultimate's costumes can be AT too. But since Tekken did get a rep this means I have hope for an AT upgrade for Akira for instance, or a costume upgrade to AT for Master Chief.

Obviously I'd prefer full on playability for everyone but I'll take what I can get, and I still don't subscribe to the notion that once a costume never playable.
"Master Chief"? Are you thinking of somebody else?

Last edited:

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
With Ultimate’s FPs having 3 characters from Square Enix, I’ll just pose this question:

If you were able to pick 3 characters from the same company for Smash 6’s passes, what would you go with?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
With Ultimate’s FPs having 3 characters from Square Enix, I’ll just pose this question:

If you were able to pick 3 characters from the same company for Smash 6’s passes, what would you go with?
Capcom would be the easiest for me I think. The difficult part would more so be getting it down to three characters lol. Zero, Chun-Li, Chris, Leon, Jill, Monster Hunter, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Arthur, Mike Haggar...Capcom has tons of good choices.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
1. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
2. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
3. Dante [Devil May Cry]

Capcom would be the easiest for me I think. The difficult part would more so be getting it down to three characters lol. Zero, Chun-Li, Chris, Leon, Jill, Monster Hunter, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Arthur, Mike Haggar...Capcom has tons of good choices.
Exactly. So I went with personal most wanted, then Capcom's 2 biggest unrepresented franchises.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

It did not. Sora is fully owned by Disney. It is a common misconception, but yeah Square does not own Sora.

That being said...

Microsoft
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Master Chief
3. Spyro the Dragon

Capcom
1. Dante
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Leon S Kennedy

Sega
1. Alis Landale
2. Arle Nadja
3. Dr Eggman

Square Enix
1. Neku
2. Crono
3. Terra Branford

Konami
1. Alucard
2. Bill Rizer
3. Bomberman

Namco
1. Lloyd Irving
2. Nightmare
3. Klonoa

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Personally for new Sega characters, I'd love another Sonic character, Yu or a Valkyria Chronicles character.

Streets of Rage would be pretty hype too.

And how can we forget our savior, Opa-Opa?

I always felt like he was perfect assist trophy material.

Sega:
Kiryu (Yakuza)
Sakura (Sakura Wars)
Shadow the hedgehog

Capcom:
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Phoenix wright/Ryunosuke Naruhodo (Ace Attorney)
Megaman.EXE (Megaman Battle Network)

Namco:
Lloyd (Tales of)
Agumon (Digimon)
Cybuster (Super robot wars)

Konami:
Frogger
Bomberman
Django (Boktai)

Square Enix:
Neku (TWEWY)
Chrono (Chrono trigger)
Cecil (Final fantasy)

SNK:
Kyo (King of fighters)
Marco (Metal slug)
Athena (Psycho Soldier)

And because this is just for fun so screw it:

Disney:
Rallen (Spectrobes)
Guybrush (Monkey Island)
Riku (Kingdom hearts)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well i'm gonna go with level-5 and Layton, Nate and Oliver

Top Bottom