• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel like Crash requests only picked up once Banjo got in. Because there's a lot of fanbase overlap there, and they're kinda competing for the same audience. Now that Banjo is in, that audience has turned it's attention towards Crash.

Much like how the "NES Icons" fanbase was pretty much focused on Simon, and now that Simon is in, most of that support is now focused on Hayabusa.
Should I be rooting for Hyabusa so focus shifts to the Battletoads? 😋

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I feel like Crash requests only picked up once Banjo got in. Because there's a lot of fanbase overlap there, and they're kinda competing for the same audience. Now that Banjo is in, that audience has turned it's attention towards Crash.
That and Banjo had kinda sorta broken down the "No western characters allowed" barrier. Beforehand, you had certain people insisting that they would never add a true western character to Smash and :ultdiddy::ultkrool: :ultdarksamus: only got on by because they're Nintendo owned.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

Much like how the "NES Icons" fanbase was pretty much focused on Simon, and now that Simon is in, most of that support is now focused on Hayabusa.
Which is a shame if it's true. I'd like to see all NES icons get the same amount of support at the same time.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Like Bill Razer, Sophia III, Black Mage, and whatever Fourth-Party character to represent licensed games of the NES/FC days
A lot of people bring up Goku, Iron Man, Shrek, Mickey Mouse, etc., but imagine if, by some unlikely miracle we actually did get a non-game character, it ended up being none of those. We instead would get, of all things, Scrooge McDuck solely due to his status as a well-remembered NES classic.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
A lot of people bring up Goku, Iron Man, Shrek, Mickey Mouse, etc., but imagine if, by some unlikely miracle we actually did get a non-game character, it ended up being none of those. We instead would get, of all things, Scrooge McDuck solely due to his status as a well-remembered NES classic.
And Batman or The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (especially Donnie)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Should I be rooting for Hyabusa so focus shifts to the Battletoads? 😋
I mean, you CAN. But Bill Rizer is after Hayabusa in the queue. So you'll be waiting for a bit.

Which is a shame if it's true. I'd like to see all NES icons get the same amount of support at the same time.
I woudn't, because that's not a good way to actually get any of those characters IN.

If you have 10 characters getting 1000 votes each, you're way less likely to see ANY of them, than you are if 1 character is getting 10,000 votes. Then, once that character is in, you move all 10,000 of those votes on to the NEXT character.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Like…don’t get me wrong, it definitely sucks, but this seems like a weird time to bring it up.
It's for the algorithm. (the Sonic 2 movie is coming out soon, and it's got good marketing/trailers, so articles like this are more likely to get attention and draw people towards the site if people are looking up anything for Sonic the Hedgehog 2)

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Well, not to be THAT guy, but Smash is a Japanese game. Made by a Japanese company. One that happens to be biased towards the Japanese market. I get paid everytime I say Japanese. Japanese. Japanese. Japanese...
Bandai Namco and Capcom are also Japanese companies. They put many western contents in their games.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean, you CAN. But Bill Rizer is after Hayabusa in the queue. So you'll be waiting for a bit.

I woudn't, because that's not a good way to actually get any of those characters IN.

If you have 10 characters getting 1000 votes each, you're way less likely to see ANY of them, than you are if 1 character is getting 10,000 votes. Then, once that character is in, you move all 10,000 of those votes on to the NEXT character.
Hey, Bill Rizer is on my most wanted list too so I’d be fine with that. Contra is probably bigger overall but I’d argue that the Battletoads have movesets that can more easily be translated to Smash so that’s a point in their favor. Contra is entirely projectile based so Sakurai would have to take some liberties with normal attacks and grabs. I do think it can definitely still work but the Battletoads were basically tailor made for a game like Smash.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I say you're way more likely to get most of them in the same game, which is much better than just getting one for now and then another one years later.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The problem is those 10k votes aren't going to move in lockstep from one character to another because different people gravitate to different characters. If Ryu Hayabusa gets in, some of that support may shift to another NES character, but not everyone who support Hayabusa does so because of his NES games. Some, for instance, might move to Dante, for being in a similar genre. Some might move to Ryza, for being from the same company. Some might move to Scorpion, because they like ninjas. Some might move to a character from Level-5 or Falcom, for being from an unrepresented company.

Voters aren't a monolith.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The problem is those 10k votes aren't going to move in lockstep from one character to another because different people gravitate to different characters. If Ryu Hayabusa gets in, some of that support may shift to another NES character, but not everyone who support Hayabusa does so because of his NES games. Some, for instance, might move to Dante, for being in a similar genre. Some might move to Ryza, for being from the same company. Some might move to Scorpion, because they like ninjas. Some might move to a character from Level-5 or Falcom, for being from an unrepresented company.

Voters aren't a monolith.
That’s a good point. In the end, I mostly just want characters I like and I don’t really have a specific criteria. I’m generally accepting of anything so even if I don’t get my favorites I’ll be fine but I’ll never stop rooting for them.

One funny thing I noticed is that a lot of my most wanted characters are owned by Microsoft but I’ve only owned an X-Box for a short time and never really cared about Microsoft as a company. I just love Battletoads, Killer Instinct, WarCraft, and StarCraft characters so anyone from those games would be awesome.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I don't think there's any problem with them occasionally picking characters that appeal more greatly to either East or West, although it is of course accurate to say that having global appeal is a major advantage in terms of chances. And I do think the Western third parties like Crash and company have lesser chances than many of their fans give them credit for; even though base game third party newcomers have basically been retro icons + Snake, I don't think Crash is the shoo-in choice for that category at all.
However, I've supported characters that are more popular requests in the West, such as an Advance Wars rep, and I've felt the drag of a lack of Japanese backing. I can admit to having failed to understand some of the popular Japanese requests over the years as well. But a difference between me and, say, most Crash fans is that if Nintendo is going to go for Western appeal, then I'd much rather see it be for one of their own.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
One funny thing I noticed is that a lot of my most wanted characters are owned by Microsoft but I’ve only owned an X-Box for a short time and never really cared about Microsoft as a company. I just love Battletoads, Killer Instinct, WarCraft, and StarCraft characters so anyone from those games would be awesome.
I too never really cared about Microsoft as a company but I've quickly become a DOOM fan, with Doom Slayer now being one of my MW characters for Smash.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The problem is those 10k votes aren't going to move in lockstep from one character to another because different people gravitate to different characters. If Ryu Hayabusa gets in, some of that support may shift to another NES character, but not everyone who support Hayabusa does so because of his NES games.
Incorrect. The entire "NES icons" fanbase is a cult of personality led by me. And their desires go where I lead them.

I led us to Mega Man. Then I led us to Simon. Next I'll lead us to Hayabusa. And after that, Rizer. That is the path.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I too never really cared about Microsoft as a company but I've quickly become a DOOM fan, with Doom Slayer now being one of my MW characters for Smash.
Yeah DOOM is really cool too. Doom Slayer isn’t one of my most wanted but I’d still be really happy to see him get into Smash.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Some are on the chronicle in brawl if that counts.
Worth pointing out that none of them are in the original JP version of the Chronicle, and were only added in by NOA/NOE for the western versions.

Fun fact: A handful of Rare games actually show up exclusively on the PAL version of the Chronicle: Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct and Goldeneye 007, the latter of which is also listed in the JP version.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

One more week before the 2022 Game of the Year comes out...

Also, another excuse to talk about Bandsna Waddle Dee in Smash because this thread has been surprisingly dead.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Also, another excuse to talk about Bandsna Waddle Dee in Smash because this thread has been surprisingly dead.
Real talk, I think BWD should’ve been #70 instead of Piranha Plant. I’d even be willing to delay the game to February (when the Plant’s amiibo launched) to integrate BWD into base game.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Real talk, I think BWD should’ve been #70 instead of Piranha Plant. I’d even be willing to delay the game to February (when the Plant’s amiibo launched) to integrate BWD into base game.
Pirahna Plant was just Sakurai inserting his usual silly "surprise character", ala Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, etc from the previous games. If if wasn't PP, then it'd probably would of wounded up being someone along those lines. Which I would of preferred, because at least it'd been a new universe added to the roster instead of just yet another Mario character.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Pirahna Plant was just Sakurai inserting his usual silly "surprise character", ala Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, etc from the previous games. If if wasn't PP, then it'd probably would of wounded up being someone along those lines.
Yes, and as I pointed out..... not too many pages back, Ultimate's gag character was likely complicated by the fact that the entire roster was being revealed pre-release.

This game really cements the idea that BWD is Kirby's go-to player 2 character.

Combine that with probably one of the easiest movesets to create ever, and I really feel that he has a solid shot in the next game. Assuming the other major players all make it back, of course.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Objectively speaking BWD probably should be in by now...

...but it's still worth pointing out that the character's one and only role in the entire Smash Bros. series is just as a mere upgrade to the regular Waddle Dee spirit, not even his own dedicated spirit battle. Dude wasn't even in Smash 4 at all, despite that game using assets from Return to Dreamland.

I just get the feeling Sakurai doesn't seem to think much about him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How would you guys feel if Sakurai was approached by Toei & Bandai Namco to make a Shonen Jump Smash Bros?
It would be exciting, though I feel like Sakurai could probably use a break (I feel like he's been consistently working on nothing but Smash for at least a decade by now). Plus, I'd be excited for a third Smash Bros.-style Jump game no matter who was in charge of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom