• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Nintendo: Copypastes models from MKT to MK8D, without even trying to adapt them to MK8's visual style

Smash fans: HOLY **** ULTIMATE DX CONFIRMED
You dont need to be like this you know. No one was going in depth on the idea of an Ultimate DX even in spite of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC. At most, people were mildly entertaining the idea while talking about what the current coversation was. But knowing you, you love to make up bogeymen when it comes to smash speculation.

Now for the second half of the music pass concept I had. I decided to go to hell with it and make the last three music packs collections from various games that fit a certain criteria

Greatest Hits from Other Worlds (songs from various third party games from companies represented in Ultimate. The games themselves need not be)

songs:
Sol Badguy’s theme (from Arc System Works. A certain infamous swear is of course censored)
Rules of Nature (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance; Konami)
Some BlazBlue song idk (ArcSys)
Theme of Mystical Ninja Goemon (Konami)
Red Sun (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance; Konami)
Devils Never Cry (Devil May Cry; Capcom)
Devil Trigger (Devil May Cry; Capcom)
Volcanic Rim (Street Fighter IV; Capcom)
Brave New World (Namco X Capcom; Bandai Namco)
Tethe’alla Battle Theme (forgot the title) (Tales of Symphonia; Bandai Namco)
Bandai Namco Arcade Medley (Bandai Namco)
Aqua Road (Sonic Forces; Sega)
Puyo Puyo Tetris Medley (Puyo Puyo; Sega)
I Believe (Persona 5 Royal; Atlus)
Life Will Change (Persona 5; Atlus)
Vulnerability (Trauma Center Second Opinion; Atlus)
Boss Battle Theme (Chrono Trigger; Square Enix)
A Beautiful Song (NieR Automata; Square Enix)
Dragon God (Chrono Cross; Square Enix)
Some NMH song idk (Marvelous. Probably not the Palestine Girl or whatever song cause of its potentially offensive connotations)
Skyrim Main Theme (Bethesda)
Some Ninja Gaiden songs I guess. We didn’t get Hayabusa but I guess songs would be a decent consolation prize (Koei Tecmo)
Gates of Hell (DOOM; Bethesda)

Greatest Hits from Familiar Worlds (other Nintendo game songs that didn’t make the cut in base or the Challenger Packs, barring the previous Splatoon 2 OE and Xenoblade X which had packs dedicated to them)

songs:
PROGRAM (Kirby Planet Robobot)
A fair number of Tropical Freeze tracks, can’t name any off the top of my head right now
Shambhala (FE Three Houses)
God Shattering Star (FE Three Houses)
Theme of Captain Falcon (F-Zero GX)
Theme of Black Shadow (F-Zero GX)
Paper Engine (F-Zero GX)
Feel Our Pain (F-Zero GX)
Eight Guitars (F-Zero GX)
Gym Battle (Pokémon Sword/Shield)
Reincarnation (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE)
Battle Theme (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE)
Savior (Astral Chain)
Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms (Remix) (Super Mario RPG)

yes kinda heavy F-Zero GX bias here lmao

Indie Hits (for this one I was like **** it, throw caution to the wind and added a lot of unrepped indies cuz indie songs are a lot easier to get the rights for which is why I didn’t include music from third parties not in Smash in any capacity whatsoever, for Music Pack 4

songs:
The World Revolving (Deltarune)
[BIG SHOT] (Deltarune) (idk I still haven’t played part 2 so idk if that’s the title)
Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark (Ori and the Blind Forest)
Necrofantasia (Smash Remix) (Touhou Project)
Nuclear Fusion (Smash Remix) (Touhou Project)
Eternal Blue (Azure Striker Gunvolt)
Raging Inferno (Azure Striker Gunvolt)
Monolithic Pride (Azure Striker Gunvolt)
Igniter (Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX)
Your Contract Has Expired (A Hat In Time)
Hopes and Dreams (Undertale)

I am going to make a quick music pack that focuses primarily on Nintendo music. I would love to do third parties but that would be harder to license.

RoboBrood Battle
Mount Volbono Town
Tostarena Ruins
Buoy Base Galaxy
Nemesis King Bowser
Puzzle Plank Galaxy
Melty Monster Galaxy
Noki Bay
Metallic Mario
Dire Dire Docks
King of the Koopas (Paper Mario)
Ghost Gulping (Paper Mario)
vs Cortez
vs Rawk Hawk
vs Shadow Queen
Champion of Destruction
The Ultimate Show
Elder Princess Shroob
Cackletta's Soul
Toad's Factory
Maple Treeway
Coconut Mall
Sunshine Airport
Tick Tock Clock (Mario Kart 8)
Rainbow Road (Mario Kart 64)
Punch Bowl
Big Top Bop
Mining Melancholy
Hideout Helm
Baby Bowser (Yoshis Island)
World 3 and 5 Boss theme (Yoshi's Island)
Wario Deluxe
Penny's Theme (WarioWare Get it Together)
Ganon Theme (Ocarina of Time)
Demon Train (Spirit Tracks)
Zant Battle
Stone Tower Temple
Helmaroc King
Groose's Theme
Final Ghirahim Battle
Dark Samus Battle (Metroid Prime 3)
Rundas Theme (Prime 3)
Emperor Ing Theme (Prime 2)
Raven Beak Theme (Dread)
Galacta Knight Theme
Shiver Star Factory
Masked Dedede
Gym Leader (Sword and Shield)
Battle Tower (Sword and Shield)
vs Origin Dialga and Palkia
vs Arceus
vs Giratina
Porky Means Business
Master Porky's Theme
vs Fassad
God Shattering Star
Mastermind (Awakening)
Captain Falcon's Theme
Samurai Goroh's Theme
Mrs Arrows Theme
Staff Roll (F Zero GX)
Titan Dweevil
Emperor Bulblax
Boss Fight 2 (Kid Icarus Uprising)
Medusa's Final Battle
vs Glass Joe
vs Super Macho Man
vs Mr Sandman
Uncontrollable (XCX)
Black Tar
Major Boss (XCX)
Showdown (Inner Agent 3)
Splatattack (Octo)

For this I did not go too far into Nintendo's catalog. For some games like Astral Chain or Golden Sun or Rhythm Heaven I felt a character would be a good step first.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I have no idea if this will be a hot take, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe getting new DLC makes me think that Fighter's Pass 3 might be a possibility.

It seems that Nintendo's way to sell the NSO Expansion Pass is to play the long game and slowly increase its value by adding new DLCs for popular games. Giving Animal Crossing a full expansion pass was a good first step. But doubling the amount of content in a game that concluded development five years ago that just so happens to be the Switch's best seller by far? Assuming that the Booster Course Pack was at least partially developed as an Expansion Pass advertising point, it seems that Nintendo really wants to increase the Expansion Pass' value.

I don't think it's that controversial to call Smash Ultimate the king of Nintendo DLC. With one or two exceptions, practically every Nintendo Direct that had an announcement relating to Ultimate's DLC opened with that announcement. Nintendo said that they were impressed by the sales of Fighter's Pass 1 before Hero and Banjo and Kazooie were announced. Fighter's Pass #1 did so well that Nintendo broke from their standard "one season of paid DLC per game" trend and greenlit the second Fighter's Pass. It's not a secret that Smash DLC does very, very well.

Of course, the big issue here is whether Sakurai would go for it. He seemed very done with Ultimate and I can't blame him, he had been working on Ultimate for almost 6 years and Smash for over a decade when Sora was released. Smash is his baby and Ultimate is still his magnum opus, I don't know if Sakurai would be cool with Nintendo reopening Ultimate's development without him, especially when he hasn't found a chosen successor. Maybe Nintendo and Sakurai worked out some non-directorial role for him. Alternatively, either Sakurai doesn't care or Nintendo doesn't care that Sakurai cares and the show goes on without him.

I wouldn't call Fighter's Pass 3 likely, but it feels possible.
Maybe. But you'll notice the MK DLC is repurposing Tour content, or eventual content, which includes importing lower fidelity courses because they're just leveraging existing assets, and not adding anything actually new.

Smash can't do that, since all the characters we've ever had are in the game. What MK is doing right now is effectively developing content for two games simultaneously, and it would be a question of what we would've actually received had Tour not provided all this existing content to bring over.

Despite the substantial volume of courses coming to MK8D, whether it's actually as intensive as creating a new fighter pass, which necessitates a number of new characters, is questionable. Especially should those characters entail further third-party negotiation.

This is more akin to if we got an echo pack, in terms of repurposing what's already there.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold an astonishing 43.35 million units and is the number one best selling Switch title to date.

Smash by comparison comes in 3rd at 27.4 million units.

That's not a disparagement btw. Just another way of looking at Nintendo's overall development strategy. It is clear the Mario Kart reaches a far wider audience and so it makes absolute sense to bring in more content even if it is noticeable that the courses weren't improved graphically from their original games. This is a huge win for Kart fans and Nintendo as a company because they're sure to make a great deal more in DLC. This may also help push NSO+Exp pack sales as it attracts consumers who weren't sold on it because of Animal Crossing but who are Mario Kart fans.

As for what this says about Smash Ultimate... I think it's really comparing apples and oranges. Smash has dedicated DLC passes which were advertised from the beginning and similarly we were told there won't be any more. I also feel the dev teams behind Kart and Ultimate, Nintendo EAD and Bandai Namco Studios/Sora Ltd. respectively, have different core approaches to how much and in what ways they treat the post launch phase of their games.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
For MK8 Deluxe DLC announcement, that the booster pass being all retro courses suggests to me that they're like saving their new original track ideas for the next entry. That's not to say there won't be some creative elements in them (one need only look at how SNES & Super Circuit levels have been reimagined), but the overall approach reads as the business compromise between taking advantage of the install base for the game while still not taking away the time and concepts that are likely being used for MK9's pre-production.

Moreover, it's entirely possible what will be featured could be the realization of scrapped Retro Course concepts that were finally made viable by the Booster Pass. With 8 years since Mario Kart 8's original release, & 5 since the Deluxe edition, there's a decent chance of many formerly unmade ideas will be seen to completion over the next two years.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
one need only look at how SNES & Super Circuit levels have been reimagined
I doubt we'll be getting the glowups Cheese Land and Ribbon Road got. At least not that much, because while Sky Garden

is a track being remade for this DLC and looks passable, the MKT versions of SMK and MKSC tracks look more on par with their original Mode 7 counterparts.

Ivander

Smash Legend
For MK8 Deluxe DLC announcement, that the booster pass being all retro courses suggests to me that they're like saving their new original track ideas for the next entry. That's not to say there won't be some creative elements in them (one need only look at how SNES & Super Circuit levels have been reimagined), but the overall approach reads as the business compromise between taking advantage of the install base for the game while still not taking away the time and concepts that are likely being used for MK9's pre-production.
Besides using them from Tour for some easy ports, one of my theories is the idea that the reason they are focusing so many on "Classic" stages is because the next Mario Kart won't have "Classic" cups. For Mario Kart itself, that feels like something that shouldn't be taken out, but if you were doing a Mario Kart focused on crossovers with other Nintendo franchises, then it would make some sense in that they'll want many new stages and little Classic stages.

That's just my theory and guess though, and assuming that there may be some merit to the crossover rumors, which there may not be at all.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Besides using them from Tour for some easy ports, one of my theories is the idea that the reason they are focusing so many on "Classic" stages is because the next Mario Kart won't have "Classic" cups. For Mario Kart itself, that feels like something that shouldn't be taken out, but if you were doing a Mario Kart focused on crossovers with other Nintendo franchises, then it would make some sense in that they'll want many new stages and little Classic stages.

That's just my theory and guess though, and assuming that there may be some merit to the crossover rumors, which there may not be at all.
Well that would be one way to explain why this DLC itself supposedly doesn't include any crossover drivers/tracks. I still hope they slip in stuff like Pauline even if they have to combine her Odyssey model with her MKT animations.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I do have to admit I am hoping that most of the courses in the Booster Pass are either the original tracks in Tour (since the real world settings are at least a novelty) or retro ones not in Tour given how meh many of those versions turned out in that and reusing them for MK8D would be a bit of a letdown. Plus given how many courses across the series still haven't been redone as retro ones in a mainline game yet, quite frankly they'd be better getting the spotlight in something like Deluxe than Tour.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I do have to admit I am hoping that most of the courses in the Booster Pass are either the original tracks in Tour (since the real world settings are at least a novelty) or retro ones not in Tour given how meh many of those versions turned out in that and reusing them for MK8D would be a bit of a letdown.
Tour's got some good retro courses - Waluigi Pinball, Maple Treeway, Wario Shipyard, Daisy Hills, Airship Fortress, Shy Guy Bazaar, etc. It just seems like there's so much antiquated SNES stuff what with all the remixes and turbos and whatever that it can get a bit interminable.

Hopefully they don't lean too heavy on the old old stuff. I do imagine we'll get basically every new track from it though since we already got three in just the first wave.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You dont need to be like this you know. No one was going in depth on the idea of an Ultimate DX even in spite of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC. At most, people were mildly entertaining the idea while talking about what the current coversation was. But knowing you, you love to make up bogeymen when it comes to smash speculation.
Allow me to be that boogieman.

I wanted to come in here and make a joke about an old game that was seemingly finished with updates but sold well and continued to sell well getting an update years later and wondering where else we could see that once the Next Gen Switch drops, but apparently other people have done this here both seriously and in satire, both believing and not believing...so I guess I missed out on that one. I suppose that's what I get for working second shift.

However, I do think that this is important enough to look at and remember at for the future. I'm not here to shout at anyone that this proves Deluxe is a thing, but what it DOES prove is that Nintendo fully means to commit to more DLC as Furukawa mentioned in meetings and that older titles are considered for these updates if they were successfully and are still relevant in terms of an active playerbase or are currently successful.

So, to paint a picture, we have Nintendo embracing DLC now on the level of your average gaming company, Nintendo supporting successful past titles with more paid content years down the line, and we know a next gen console is coming relatively SoonTM (we may not know when exactly, but when Furukawa says they are planning when to reveal and announce it and not just when they plan on it being finished, you know it's farther along than not). We are also seeing more of the decisions that Furukawa had a hand in coming to light, things that generally are just making Nintendo consumers happy: Mario Party back to it's roots, Mario Sports games finally making their return, making an official Smash circuit that includes Melee, trying to bring back Wii Sports...I don't know if I can credit EVERY big decision back to Furukawa, but I would just like to point out that Pokemon kinda sunk hard and then suddenly after Furukawa was on the throne they give us both Gen 4 Remasters and a step towards the Pokemon game we have been dreaming of for over a decade in addition to a New Pokemon Snap. It just seems like Furukawa is using his inner gamer and listening to feedback and has been pushing for things we've been asking for.

Well, what do Smash fans want? Contrary to what was spread around a lot here, people DO want more Smash and more characters, and the DON'T want to lose what we already have. We want a better story mode, more modes to play (both old and new), better online and to play those said modes online. These are all things that a port of Ultimate that is given time to be fleshed out can do. With enough love and effort, it may not even feel like a port at all.

Also, don't think I didn't spy my eye on that little dupery-doo lad getting his first two games coming to Switch.

Overall, this was a great way to start off the year, I think Nintendo had a solid A+ for a Direct. Even if nothing that I have really been asking for happened, I have been calling more Mario Sports and we finally got a new Strikers, so I have that to look forward to. We got a new FE Warriors, new Strikers, New Wii Sports, New XBC, basically release dates for Advance Wars and Splatoon, more 3D Kirby gameplay mechanics, a crapton of actually cool ports and remasters plus a handful of updates, and MK8 basically doubling it's courses for only $25 and if you already love Golden Axe or Banjo Kazooie you already have those courses. Oh, and don't forget that they pushed the Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings button that people have been screaming for for years now. The even barely wasted any time in that direct, keeping the skits relatively short.

I think if you are a Zelda fan, you may be losing your mind this summer. Just feels like that are really holding off to unload a crapton of Zelda stuff all at once later in the year.

Oh, and Markomaro called the release date of Advance Wars as well. Another ball in his court for the year.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Oh, and Markomaro called the release date of Advance Wars as well. Another ball in his court for the year.
Just putting it out there that the release date for Advance Wars has been pretty much an open secret for several months as the eShop listing after the delay had the estimated release date as 8th of April, which was now confirmed. Nothing to write home about.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
that is given time to be fleshed out can do. With enough love and effort, it may not even feel like a port at all.
Honestly, have many people here even played that many rereleases? This is probably proof that Smash fans need to play more games than anything else, they don't know how cheap and apathetic game publishers can be when it comes to porting their beloved titles onto newer systems.

coughcoughgtatrilogycoughcough

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
coughcoughgtatrilogycoughcough
Can't say that's a great comparison. I mean, there seems to be a very different work ethic between Japanese and western developers in general, though especially when it comes to AAA (in fact, it says a lot that AAA is a mostly western phenomena to begin with). Not that Japanese developers are perfect, but I hardly ever see them sink anywhere near the kinds of lows that EA sinks to on a regular basis, or Rockstar in this case.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Can't say that's a great comparison. I mean, there seems to be a very different work ethic between Japanese and western developers in general, though especially when it comes to AAA (in fact, it says a lot that AAA is a mostly western phenomena to begin with). Not that Japanese developers are perfect, but I hardly ever see them sink anywhere near the kinds of lows that EA sinks to on a regular basis, or Rockstar in this case.
Maybe not, but some sort of "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Hyper Deluxe Edition" featuring 30+ unique fighters, 20+ echoes, 50+ stages, and all the modes from Brawl...conflicts with how virtually every single port to eighth/ninth gen systems turns out. Usually they're just the exact same game or a buggy mess, and the ports that do in fact add content don't add 100+ million dollars' worth.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Granted, Ultimate did build off of Smash4. Whether or not you see it as a port, Smash4 was definitely the basis.
It was marketed as an all-new game regardless of Smash 4 asset reuse, thus more money was invested. If Nintendo markets their next system's new Smash as "Ultimate DX", they would only invest what'll need to be invested to bring back all veterans, not add newcomers or new modes.

Trust me, this isn't some "no i want newcomers" or "ew that means corrin comes back AGAIN" bias, it's something I've very definitely noticed from the past decade of "HD remasters". Even MK8D's own DLC shows how cheap companies will be with ports, by having the DLC tracks come directly from Mario Kart Tour with no attempt to make them match MK8's more detailed visuals, and supposedly no crossovers, drivers, or crossover drivers.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
While I think we should mind the idea of the Switch 2 getting an enhanced port of Ultimate...I don't think the new Mario Kart DLC is a good point of reference. Everything surrounding it makes it feel like a stopgap, something to hold Mario Kart fans over for a while (and also sweeten the deal of the NSO Expansion Pass). It feels like the next Mario Kart was meant to be out this year originally, but complications these past couple years have pushed it back enough that they may have decided to make it a launch-window title for the next system instead.

Different circumstances than where Smash currently sits.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
While I think we should mind the idea of the Switch 2 getting an enhanced port of Ultimate...I don't think the new Mario Kart DLC is a good point of reference. Everything surrounding it makes it feel like a stopgap, something to hold Mario Kart fans over for a while (and also sweeten the deal of the NSO Expansion Pass). It feels like the next Mario Kart was meant to be out this year originally, but complications these past couple years have pushed it back enough that they may have decided to make it a launch-window title for the next system instead.

Personally I just think the purpose of MK8D's DLC is...free money. Over 40 million potential customers, tracks ported from Tour, they're spending little to make a lot. In contrast, Ultimate DX wouldn't be free money the same way this DLC is, with more money having to be spent relicensing old content and making new content, and Ultimate itself not selling as much as Mario Kart 8 DX. (With the exception of Melee, Mario Karts always sell more than their respective system's Smash.)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Honestly my guess is that MK9 development is doing well, but there's only a small team working on it because they just want to release at launch with their next systems. Also from the latest earning call, Furuwaka says that the Switch generation might last longer than usual because the sales aren't dropping while normally on past consoles sales would slow down after 5 years. So my guess is that they want to support MK8 until 2023 and the next Nintendo consoles will release late 2024 or early 2025 and will launch with a new Mario kart 9.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Dude! Earthbound is pretty freakin cool. The wavy background during encounters is a tad nauseating but I will get used to it. I really dig the soundtrack and how different encounters have different music. I'm happy to have finally gotten a chance to play this. My wife used to have it for snes but lost it so she's getting back into it too.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So I have an idea if we do get of some kind of getting new fighters via DLC. But instead of new fighters, it's echo fighters. I'm going to set 2 rules. 1. No assists upgrades like Shadow and Black Knight for example. 2. Only fighters from the base roster who don't have an echo fighter.

Metal Sonic or Blaze the Cat echoing Sonic
Quint echoing Megaman
Octoling echoing Inkling
Louie and Britney as an alt echoing Olimar
Black Shadow echoing Captain Falcon
Gooigi echoing Luigi
And Morpho Knight echoing Meta Knight

Ivander

Smash Legend
Captain Falcon? Chibi-Robo? Ray from the Custom Robo series? Dillon? Allen?

I mean, almost any character not in Smash Bros or whose series hasn't sold well or had a game in a decade can be considered underrated. Almost any character.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Just putting it out there that the release date for Advance Wars has been pretty much an open secret for several months as the eShop listing after the delay had the estimated release date as 8th of April, which was now confirmed. Nothing to write home about.
Fair enough, but he called that out in the same post that he called the exact release date of 3D Kirby. This is all in a spree that he did where he gave out information in a way that is abnormally concrete when he usually excels in being vague.

Also, remember he's a foreign Jeff Grubb: some people have jobs in which they are what I like to call 'legal leakers' that aren't really leakers because they are given the information on purpose with the sole task of expressing it to the public to drum up hype. Whereas leakers steal information big entities don't want given out and give it to the public anyway, these guys are given vague but excited details. It's kinda like the "Corpse Husband Theory" (coined by Skooch, don't sue) in which we don't know 100% what is going to happen but we have just enough to keep ourselves sustained and salivated.

Some of what he hears or is told is either dated and no longer a thing or just flat out wrong, but guess who is still around after all the leakers get their cheeks clapped after giving us one or two things of importance?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
From that list ? My most wanted are clearly absent, those being Dixie, Impa and Isaac, but I'll make my choices.

1. Urbosa , BotW Champion
2. Lara Croft
3. Amaterasu
4. Bandana Dee
5. Conker
6. Ori

There's a way we can turn this into a Smash discussion, I think.

Um... Mike Jones for Smash?
All of the Donkey Kong characters. Dixie Kong is a strong contender, but Diddy and even Donkey Kong themselves too. They're legitimately some of the most popular characters Nintendo has, the sales of their series is great too, but Nintendo isn't doing jack**** with them.

At least, that's the current situation. I hope we get a turnaround in mainstream appearances of Donkey Kong. Rumors are around for a while now, and those rumors do line up with what we've been seeing so far, including the last Direct. Rumors spoke of a 3D Kirby, a 2D Metroid, something new for Fire Emblem (still thinking a remake will happen / be announced this year too), Mario + Rabbids 2, Mario Strikers.... So I do think a new Donkey Kong will be a major announcement somewhere this year.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
So if I'm understanding this correctly, it's seven characters - six from the list and one promoted character. (correct me if I'm wrong)

If that's the case...

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. 2B
3. Porky
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Dr. Eggman
6. Ryu Hayabusa
7. (promotion from Mii, AT, spirit, or a character who's just not on the list) Geno

It's a tough call between Geno, Dante, and Doomguy for that last spot, but the way I see it, unless Square-Enix and Nintendo collaborate for a direct sequel to Mario RPG, Smash seems like the only possible opportunity for Geno to be playable in anything at this point. (while the latest Doom and Devil May Cry games ended off on an ambiguous note as far as their lead characters are concerned, there's definitely going to be new games in those series at some point)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
1. Crono
2. Orbeetle
3. Bill Rizer
4. Scorpion
5. Ryu Hyabusa
6. Amaterasu

Promotion: Battletoads

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

There's a way we can turn this into a Smash discussion, I think.

Um... Mike Jones for Smash?
Grovyle from Pokémon mystery dungeon one of the best developed character in Nintendo history doesn’t get enough recognition not even in smash there is not a single content from PMD series
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
Mine would be:
1. Rayman
2. Crash
3. Porky
4. Spyro
5. Scorpion
6. Agumon
Bonus: Geno

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
You’re supposed to add a bonus character as well, ergo, a 7th

mine:
1. Neku
2. Reimu
3. Phoenix
4. Arle
5. Ori OR Crash
6. Raiden (Red Sun BGM plssss)
7. Bonus: Elma OR Octoling (not on the list)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
  1. Bandana Dee
  2. Zagreus
  3. Arle Nadja
  4. Phoenix Wright
  5. 2B
  6. Chosen Undead
  7. Akira Howard (BONUS)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
1. Ryu Hayabusa
2. Scorpion
3. Spyro
4. Kratos
5. BWD
6. Master Chief
Bonus: Phoenix Wright as an AT

Lyncario

Smash Ace
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
I already did mine on twitter so here it is

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
  1. Crash
  2. Hayabusa
  3. Raven Beak
  4. Lara Croft
  5. Master Chief
  6. Sol Badguy
  7. Isaac
Not gonna lie this is all completely bud but I do think my taste has a pretty decent spread.

The art used on this is REALLY great though. The Hayabusa and Lara renders are really good.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Heavy Weapons Guy
3. Waddle Dee
4. Dr. Eggman
5, Zagreus
6. Crono
BONUS: Shovel Knight

Obviously just personal taste. This was kind of tough, especially the bonus category because so many great choices were either ATs or post-DLC spirits/costumes. Resident Evil, Dante and Travis Touchdown were my runner-ups.

Top Bottom