• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
My personal take is that "retro character" is actually fairly rare and only existed in Melee and Brawl in :icsmelee: and :pit:. :gawmelee:, :rob: and :4duckhunt: are hardware reps because they're representing a type of old hardware that was very important for Nintendo being able to compete in the gaming market.
I think it's just a coincidence that three of these can be considered "hardware reps". Sakurai considered Takamaru, and he couldn't exactly be considered "the Famicom Disk System rep" due to Kid Icarus initially being released for it too.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think at this point Golden sun could be considered a retro franchise and Isaac a retro rep if he gets in the next game. Assuming there's no new Golden sun and that the next game release around 2025, there would be a 15 years gap between Dark dawn and Smash 6, which is pretty much the same gap between Ice climber and Melee release (17 years).

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Speaking of hardware reps I think Terry is lastest hardware rep we got representing the neo geo is there any hardware rep you guys want in the next smash game?

I personally want
-Alex Kidd who would represent the Sega master system
-Harry (Teleroboxer) who would represent the virtual boy

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of hardware reps I think Terry is lastest hardware rep we got representing the neo geo is there any hardware rep you want in the next smash game?

I personally want
I don't necessarily want her nor think she'll happen, but Monita being an all encompassing representative of the Wii U would be hilarious considering it's, well, the Wii U.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yesterday I finished Metroid Dread and I haven't felt "Yo this character would be PERFECT as a fighter in Smash!" this strongly for a character in a while. I might write up a moveset for him one day.
He was pretty rad. But I don't have high hopes for one-off Metroid villains to fare any better than one-off Zelda villains do.

Random question: Ultimate's newcomer had 4 newcomer who were mii costumes in Smash 4 (Inkling, Chrom, K. Rool and Daisy) and 2 newcomers who were Assist trophies (Dark samus and Isabelle). Just for fun, let's assume that's a pattern and we'll get a similar number of mii costumes upgrades and assist trophies upgrades in the next game, who would you choose?
Mii Upgrades:
Arthur
Bomberman
Goemon
Shantae

AT Upgrades:
Alucard
Zero

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If the rumors of the Final Fantasy IX cartoon and remake end up being true, I wonder if a character from that game has a chance for the next Smash. FFIX is probably my favorite game ever so it would be awesome to see Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, or anyone else from IX get in along with Cloud and Sephiroth.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Speaking of hardware reps I think Terry is lastest hardware rep we got representing the neo geo is there any hardware rep you guys want in the next smash game?

I personally want
There is only one correct answer
Segata.jpg

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A WarioWare rep feels more likely since Get it Together. The most likely rep is Ashley due to her popularity, but here’s an off the wall pick I think could work...
View attachment 335359
Pyoro. I’m not even joking.
Heh, reminds me back to the early day's when I played Bird & Beans from the DSi Ware and lowkey unironically wanted Pyoro in Smash, that was long before I even knew he was actually a Wario Ware character and that his minigame was just sold separately on the DSi Ware.

Pretty nice they gave him a larger role in Get it Together over just being that random little thing Wario tries to compete with in his game company.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If the rumors of the Final Fantasy IX cartoon and remake end up being true, I wonder if a character from that game has a chance for the next Smash. FFIX is probably my favorite game ever so it would be awesome to see Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, or anyone else from IX get in along with Cloud and Sephiroth.
FFIX was my first and still-favorite Final Fantasy game, so I would absolutely go crazy if I saw Zidane make it to Smash Bros 6.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But yeah, there's many ways to look at it. Though I don't consider Simon a specific retro rep, though to be fair, Duck Hunt was added as a surprise character, not a retro one, so... it's kind of odd.
If Simon isn't a retro rep, then Ultimate straight up didn't have any retro reps.

Characters like Takamaru, Mach Rider, Muddy Mole, Sukapon, Bubbles, Tamagon, Balloon Fighter, Donbe and Hikari, the Prince of Sablé, Lip, Urban Champion, Hakkun, Sheriff (an arcade character, even), Diskun, hell even the Ice Hockey trio. Those are the ones that fit the older, well-understood definition of what a "retro character" was.
Right, well, by that definition, Ultimate just didn't have one.

And if that's the case, then the question "Who will be the next retro rep?" becomes moot, because the answer could just be "Nobody", because it's not a given that we'll even get one.

I agree with this. If we're staring to consider Simon a retro rep, you might as well call Samus one becasue she was popular around the same time as him.
And I do.

If you originate from the retro era, you are a retro character.

1634924215337.png

Last edited:
My prediction for Hardware Rep:
Virtual Boy, a.k.a. "The Failure Warrior!"

He could join smash, since he could be WTF Pick for Smash 6, especially he could use some moves based on VB Games like Mario Clash or Red Alert or even some old Nintendo toys like Love Tester as Down Smash. He could be funny, since if he was added, then we might get Spirits/Trophies based on Nintendo Consoles like Switch, Gamecube or even Nintendo Infinite (My made-up name for Switch Succesor).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
FFVIII is my favorite. I'd love for Squall to even get a cameo alone. Man, I wish the other FF games had some Spirit Events...
I loved the characters from VIII and Squall was really cool. My biggest problems with that game were the junction system and the fact that leveling up was actually a bad thing. I still beat the game and enjoyed it despite that. I’d be really happy to see Squall in Smash one day.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If Simon isn't a retro rep, then Ultimate straight up didn't have any retro reps.

And if that's the case, then the question "Who will be the next retro rep?" becomes moot, because the answer could just be "Nobody", because it's not a given that we'll even get one.

And I do.

View attachment 335371
I'm well aware that Ultimate didn't get one, and that's one of the very few disappointments I had in regards to the roster. A lot of it likely has to do with how little space there was for newcomers in the base game due to Everyone is Here.

However, the next game almost certainly won't be another "Everyone is Here," so there's hope for next time for folks like Takamaru, or Muddy Mole, or Sukapon, or Mach Rider. Hope that wouldn't have been present on a much larger roster with fewer base game additions. That's what matter here: the fact that, once again, there's a chance.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

And I do.

View attachment 335371
Gotta agree here. A retro character is one that originated during the 80s and early 90s before gaming tech advanced to include CD-Rom basically.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Is a character with retro roots still considered retro if they have grown and evolved over the decades into the modern age? Or are they only labeled retro if they haven’t changed at all? I feel that could be an interesting debate. Like Mario, Link, and Samus all started retro but have grown well beyond it since they have evolved since the late 80s into modern superstars. Whereas Takamaru, Mike Jones, Mach Rider really haven’t changed at all due to the lack of modern depictions.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm well aware that Ultimate didn't get one, and that's one of the very few disappointments I had in regards to the roster. A lot of it likely has to do with how little space there was for newcomers in the base game due to Everyone is Here.

However, the next game almost certainly won't be another "Everyone is Here," so there's hope for next time for folks like Takamaru, or Muddy Mole, or Sukapon, or Mach Rider. Hope that wouldn't have been present on a much larger roster with fewer base game additions. That's what matter here: the fact that, once again, there's a chance.
Yeah with such a small amount of newcomer in the base game it was hard to find a spot for a retro rep or smaller first party like Golden sun or Rhythm heaven. Hopefully those will have better chance next time.

Plant was a the biggest off-the-wall pick but imo it was a pretty bad choice on so many aspect.

Is a character with retro roots still considered retro if they have grown and evolved over the decades into the modern age? Or are they only labeled retro if they haven’t changed at all? I feel that could be an interesting debate. Like Mario, Link, and Samus all started retro but have grown well beyond it since they have evolved since the late 80s into modern superstars. Whereas Takamaru, Mike Jones, Mach Rider really haven’t changed at all due to the lack of modern depictions.
They will become Modern if you think about Murasame Castle lore, but you need to expand your brain and start thinking about other Retros like Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt to get a game that will release in future with over 30 year old gap.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Out of curiosity

is Piranha Plant still a thing in the tournament scene or no?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I do believe Terra and Bartz (and freakin FuSoYa of all people, over Cecil no less) were briefly considered before picking Cloud back in 4
Terra would be a great pick but Bartz definitely would have felt random. I don’t think I ever got around to playing his game. I started with X and moved backwards until VI. Years later, I played the DS versions of III and IV. I also bought XII, XIII and XV but only completed XII out of those. I was a huge FF fan during the early PS2 days and own a whole glass windowed desk full of figures from that era when they were actually affordable at $30 or less.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Terra would be a great pick but Bartz definitely would have felt random. I don’t think I ever got around to playing his game. I started with X and moved backwards until VI. Years later, I played the DS versions of III and IV. I also bought XII, XIII and XV but only completed XII out of those. I was a huge FF fan during the early PS2 days and own a whole glass windowed desk full of figures from that era when they were actually affordable at $30 or less.
I think a pixel remaster of FFV (aka not that ugly ass Android port) is coming to Steam soon, and it has the Advance content

I may get it. My only gripe is the menus still look off and like you’re playing a cheap iPhone game. The good news is it’s JUST the menus

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm simple with it. If it's two consoles back, it's a retro game to me.

But yeah, there's many ways to look at it. Though I don't consider Simon a specific retro rep, though to be fair, Duck Hunt was added as a surprise character, not a retro one, so... it's kind of odd.
I've seen this before, the 2 generation rule. I can get behind it.

My thing really is having grown up playing atari 2600 everything after the 84 crash seemed light years beyond my first gaming experience so I'm kinda stuck on feeling as if retro has to be reserved for much older games. Even Resident Evil which many would call retro doesn't fit that bill for me because of how advanced it is compared to Space Invaders.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is the Turbografx-16 considered retro?

cuz technically, Richter would be our Turbografx-16 rep

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
He was pretty rad. But I don't have high hopes for one-off Metroid villains to fare any better than one-off Zelda villains do.
Yeah that's fair, but I do think Dread being the biggest launch in the franchise history might give Raven Beak a leg up for getting chosen in the next game. Hell, in Japan it's looking to be outselling nearly every game in the series.

1634926728488.png

Source

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

My thing really is having grown up playing atari 2600 everything after the 84 crash seemed light years beyond my first gaming experience so I'm kinda stuck on feeling as if retro has to be reserved for much older games. Even Resident Evil which many would call retro doesn't fit that bill for me because of how advanced it is compared to Space Invaders.
I feel the same way but a little more recent. I was born in 84 so I grew up with the NES and SNES. I’d consider games from that era retro because that’s what I grew up with.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah with such a small amount of newcomer in the base game it was hard to find a spot for a retro rep or smaller first party like Golden sun or Rhythm heaven. Hopefully those will have better chance next time.

Plant was a the biggest off-the-wall pick but imo it was a pretty bad choice on so many aspect.
I honestly think what helped Plant get in is what you DON'T have to make.

You don't have to make a new stage. You don't have to hire a VA or get the okay for preexisting voice clips. You don't have to license new songs and get composers to remix songs from a fighterless franchise. The first point is especially important since remodeling old stages took so much time away from making new ones.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Yeah. Albeit, a retro "design" is different too, imo. That's something Pac-Man and Little Mac have.

I don't consider a Retro console the same thing as a Retro character by default. It's pretty subjective.

But hey, if Brian can be a retro rep, I'll take it~ :awesome:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I'm expecting the next smash to straight up have Kratos.
I think if we wind up in a timeline crazy enough for Kratos to join, he will be the final DLC character for Smash 6 for that huge final bombshell. It just feels so right to me.

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet

I personally want
I think Diskun would be pretty neat as a representative of the Famicom/NES as a whole. Monita is also another one that I unironically really want I think she'd be neat and the her being representative of the Wii U in general would be SO funny
There is only one correct answer
View attachment 335365
TRUUEEE I almost forgot about Segata (which shame on me for), I'd love for him to get in he's great and he'd be an absolutely glorious pick but... I'm not sure if he'd get in due to him being played by an actual person and requiring the agreement to using their likeness. That said he'd be fantastic if they could add him.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Zidane's probably my top FF rep. Aside from IX being the most enticing FF to me (despite the fact that I keep taking really long breaks from it lol), Zidane just seems fun; he could be our first dual-wielder. And it could be fun to incorporate some "Steal" mechanic where Zidane can nab items held by opponents.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Zidane's probably my top FF rep. Aside from IX being the most enticing FF to me (despite the fact that I keep taking really long breaks from it lol), Zidane just seems fun; he could be our first dual-wielder. And it could be fun to incorporate some "Steal" mechanic where Zidane can nab items held by opponents.
I won't stand for their slander: :ultpit::ultdarkpit:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I also half expect Sora to come back next game and for him to get a trailer in the same vein as the Sonic trailer from smash 4.

Mainly because we know he was the most requested so it make perfect business sense to try to keep him around as long as you can.

Top Bottom