• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Joker’s a Stand User.
If it weren’t for SmashBoards’ No Swearing filter, I’d send a Markiplier Clip from his Getting Over It LP. Because you’re wrong. I want a character who actually does something with the Stand. Just ugh. Actually Bottom 2 Design for me.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
They’re the closest thing, but I’m thinking the Legionis from Astral Chain in terms of what I’d actually want.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Another archetype I'd like to see more of is a Trickster. We don't have too many characters on the roster who are just straight up schemers and trolls. It's a pretty vague label, so I'm just thinking of any way a character can subvert expectations, prank or cheat their opponents and generally just be underhanded and sneaky. Waluigi, Skull Kid, Gengar, Mimikyu, King Boo or Sans are some characters just off the top of my head who could embody this to some degree.

And while we're on that note, to a similar effect, we already have a lack of mages and pure magic users but I'd love to see some kind of Magician character. A really flashy fighter with spells and illusions, it's a more specialized category of the previous pitch. Someone like Marx, Magolor, Kamek or Meowscarada.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Another archetype I'd like to see more of is a Trickster. We don't have too many characters on the roster who are just straight up schemers and trolls. It's a pretty vague label, so I'm just thinking of any way a character can subvert expectations, prank or cheat their opponents and generally just be underhanded and sneaky. Waluigi, Skull Kid, Gengar, Mimikyu, King Boo or Sans are some characters just off the top of my head who could embody this to some degree.

And while we're on that note, to a similar effect, we already have a lack of mages and pure magic users but I'd love to see some kind of Magician character. A really flashy fighter with spells and illusions, it's a more specialized category of the previous pitch. Someone like Marx, Magolor, Kamek or Meowscarada.
In my eyes, Magolor fits bill for both trickster and magician; sneaky, powerful magical attacks at the cost of being one of the lightest characters in the game.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Looks like I missed quite a bit. Anyway, onto obligatory oldgen mon plugging

Based on how he described how he chose Incineroar, I think that he might actually go for Quaquaval.
If they go with ripoff wet Blaziken before actual Blaziken, I will be steamed /j

I'm not sure if I would put money on it, but it's not neccecarily a one-or-the-other situation between Gen 9 and 10.
Or a one-or-the-other situation between a recent mon and an older favorite...?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Wait no, I got funnier.

Aegis is the Stand while Rex does nothing. Just like Wonder of U in JoJo All-Star Battle R :4pacman:
Okay fair.

Also yeah agreed. I also think some sort of Knight would be cool tbh. Something like Astorias or The Hero’s Shade would be cool.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a new question.

What franchise do you think would be a lock for a Smash inclusion if they got one recent game?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If they go with ripoff wet Blaziken before actual Blaziken, I will be steamed /j
Blaziken wishes it could dance like Quaquaval.

Here's a new question.

What franchise do you think would be a lock for a Smash inclusion if they got one recent game?
Golden Sun, Isaac getting an AT last game I feel was an acknowledgement of his popularity. If he had a new game on top of it, I feel he'd be promoted like Little Mac.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Here's a new question.

In terms of Nintendo franchises, Golden Sun and Mysterious Murasame Castle. Those are the only two I honestly think would get the attention if they got a new recent game since Isaac has the fan support behind him and Sakurai has interest in Takamaru as a playable fighter. For other 1st Party franchises, I think their recent games would have to really hit hard before they show interest in a fighter from that franchise.

In terms of 3rd Parties, it's really hard to think about when most of the Top 3rd Party franchises not in Smash Bros. are still getting new games. The only notable franchise I can really think of that hasn't had a new main game for a long time is Ninja Gaiden, with it's last main title releasing around 2012 and a collection of the 3D games releasing in 2021.

Last edited:

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Well, I just finished WarioWare Move It!, it may be short but it leaves the impression that tickles my brain in the best of ways. I can only hope that Wario gets the spotlight shone on him next Smash, at the very least I'd love to see a few more of the characters get stage cameos that get them rendered in 3d like Ashley / Kat & Ana.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Here's a new question.

Might be a hot take, but I'd say Ring fit. I feel like the only thing that might hold them back is the fact that it might be a one off game and could miss the boat. If it got a sequel near Switch 2 launch? I'd say it would be an easy lock, especially if it does sales as good as the first one.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm gonna second Golden Sun. If we got a new game. I'd start considering Isaac the frontrunner for new characters.

Though it would be interesting however, if Golden Sun got a new game, but didn't feature Isaac. Perhaps the new protagonist would become the poster child for the series

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ah jeez, that reminds me... Paper Mario representation in Smash could be so much more, but we just have a handful of spirits and what I could easily consider one of the worst stages in the entire Smash series.

The Paper Mario stage has almost no character cameos (arguably one of the biggest points of not only Paper Mario but every Mario RPG series in general. Yes, the whale and blooper are there, but I've almost never seen them actually show up in-game), and instead of having stand-out locations to fight on, they picked... the windmill from Sticker Star (with a very awkward stage layout), a generic Bowser's Castle (that has the worst stage layout i've ever played on, it's worse than 75m and I'm not even kidding), and the S. S. Flavion as opposed to literally any other location from TTYD like Boggly Woods, the Glitz Pit, or Creepy Steeple?

You're telling me you couldn't get like, Vivian or Goombella or whatever to show up in the background? Not even a handful of generic paper toads? What's the deal with that? The stage feels so lifeless and empty, and the theming is really dull. 2/3's of the actual stage layouts are bad, too. What the heck happened here?

I hope we can get a good Paper Mario stage in the future that includes the things people actually like about Paper Mario. A Rogueport stage would be dope, especially if it's bustling with all the NPCs that can be found there.
You see, Nintendo wants people to forget about Paper Marios characters outside of Toad.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If it weren’t for SmashBoards’ No Swearing filter, I’d send a Markiplier Clip from his Getting Over It LP. Because you’re wrong. I want a character who actually does something with the Stand. Just ugh. Actually Bottom 2 Design for me.
Oh, you want Heritage to the Future desync combos that make the Ice Climbers look like patron saints

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Though it would be interesting however, if Golden Sun got a new game, but didn't feature Isaac. Perhaps the new protagonist would become the poster child for the series
This is pretty much the reason I firmly believe it's not enough for a new Golden Sun to exist for Isaac to have a shot.
He has to be the lead. If it's Matthew again, Isaac's ****ed.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is pretty much the reason I firmly believe it's not enough for a new Golden Sun to exist for Isaac to have a shot.
He has to be the lead. If it's Matthew again, Isaac's ****ed.
To be fair, if it's a continuation of Matthew's story, Isaac still has a major role. I'd expect he'd still be a party member.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
If it's Matthew again
Isaac and Matthew could very easily Echo each other, though...so no Matthew being the lead would not screw Isaac over, even if they wanted to promote Matthew.
But regardless of what happens I think this is likely another Marth case where the OG can still take precedence over the new face for the first rep, especially since here they have the data that says Isaac is the one fans want.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think everyone else has been pretty spot on. Although it's worth mentioning, these games would have to show up pretty damn soon for me to be convinced. Sakurai could get tipped off on it early where it wouldn't be an issue, but if Smash is getting plotted out right now these might end up missing the boat. In any case, ignoring that...

Golden Sun, yeah. Isaac is already in a pretty good place right now as a popular request, and if Golden Sun suddenly became a relevant series again there would be pretty much no reason to exclude him. Except for not being the protagonist, which... yeah, I don't think it's a problem. The fan demand and seniority would probably negate this and Matthew or whoever else may be able to slot in as an echo fighter. Easy.

Rhythm Heaven, maybe. I would hope it at least has them considering better supplemental content, but I wouldn't be 1000% convinced on a character. I have to wonder if Sakurai passed on them for a reason, and unlike Golden Sun it's a less clear cut thing who they would add in the first place. I do think it would increase their chances exponentially, but I wouldn't quite put my complete faith in it. Even though I'd like to... since yknow, Chorus Kids are my most wanted. Worst case scenario, just give us a stage and some more music.

Murasame Castle, yep. If this got rebooted and released in the states, there would be nothing stopping Takamaru. I get the impression Sakurai likes him a lot - enough to have an explicit reason that he passed on him, which means he was considered - and Nintendo holds it in fairly high regard as a legacy title. I consider this comparable to Punch-Out Wii's effect on Little Mac, while I still think Mac would be on the table I'm convinced it must have put him over the edge to have had a recent game under his belt. This may be able to apply to any "retro" series but Takamaru is both the most notable example and probably the one most likely to happen.

I think any series getting a revival or new entry in the next couple years would put it in the conversation really, and it would be for good reason. Outside of Ring Fit and occasionally Astral Chain our pool of potential new IPs is resting on either popularity or blind faith. So any of these popping back up would theoretically serve them well. Advance Wars is a weird case where this did happen, but the game never even made it to Japan so I wouldn't put much stock in that. Speaking of Astral Chain, I'd say a second entry in that series would have me taking it more seriously. I'm not convinced just yet, although Ring Fit does have a great chance because of how exceptionally well it performed.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Here's a new question.

Golden Sun: Isaac was a character with big demands so I don’t see anything that would stop him from getting in if Golden Sun gets a revival

Joy Mech Fight: Nintendo own fighting game getting revival would make Sukapon as likely as getting arms rep in ultimate and he was on the table since smash 2 poll

Murasame castle: The only thing that kept Takamaru from getting to smash is his exclusivity to Japan however the series getting revival would bring him back to the table as Sakurai considered adding him to smash multiple times before

Chibi-Robo, Custom Robo and Rhythm Heaven: these franchises were growing before but then stopped and died but if they get a revival then I can see them getting a character and become high on Nintendo priority pick

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's a new question.

I would have said Golden Sun like everyone else and Advance Wars. yes i know the latter has had a recent game but a new one would only help

Oracle Link

Smash Master
In my eyes, Magolor fits bill for both trickster and magician; sneaky, powerful magical attacks at the cost of being one of the lightest characters in the game.
In genral magolr is the better choice than marx! Magolor is basically marx but if he had a full game instead of a "Minigame"
Like the only thing that marx has that magolor doesnt is that marx is a jester and there is no jester in smash!
Than again Magolor still juggles enemy in his fight!
Also if we go by the bad "one off" Argument than Marx is a one of and magolor isnt! (than again those one off dudes pretend like you have to be in 20 Mainline games to not be a one off so who knows!)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In genral magolr is the better choice than marx! Magolor is basically marx but if he had a full game instead of a "Minigame"
Like the only thing that marx has that magolor doesnt is that marx is a jester and there is no jester in smash!
Than again Magolor still juggles enemy in his fight!
Also if we go by the bad "one off" Argument than Marx is a one of and magolor isnt! (than again those one off dudes pretend like you have to be in 20 Mainline games to not be a one off so who knows!)
neither are one offs

Oracle Link

Smash Master
neither are one offs
I know but by the logic of "one offers" A character has top be in tons of games to not be a one off!
Like Every zelda character playable in hyrule warriors is not a one of yet they say "Every zelda character except the main 3 are one offs"
I think they just use the one off argument to discredit characters they disagree with!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know but by the logic of "one offers" A character has top be in tons of games to not be a one off!
Like Every zelda character playable in hyrule warriors is not a one of yet they say "Every zelda character except the main 3 are one offs"
I think they just use the one off argument to discredit characters they disagree with!
or they’re not counting spin offs

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Which characters do you believe can't be anything other than playable fighter?

Mine would be...

Master Chief - Xbox mascot. Demand skyrocketed during Ultimate and still remains popular choice. Some people say he can still end up being Mii, but I disagree. Unlike games like Fortnite or Fall Guys, Smash has clear tier for fighter and Mii costume. MS may have been lenient, but they aren't that laxed. I highly doubt Nintendo would pull stupid move by putting him at something like only Mii.

Crash - Big request that still remain consistently popular.

Lara Croft - One of the most famous female video gaming icons.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Which characters do you believe can't be anything other than playable fighter?

Mine would be...

Master Chief - Xbox mascot. Demand skyrocketed during Ultimate and still remains popular choice. Some people say he can still end up being Mii, but I disagree. Unlike games like Fortnite or Fall Guys, Smash has clear tier for fighter and Mii costume. MS may have been lenient, but they aren't that laxed. I highly doubt Nintendo would pull stupid move by putting him at something like only Mii.

Crash - Big request that still remain consistently popular.

Lara Croft - One of the most famous female video gaming icons.
Mario :troll:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Oh, you want Heritage to the Future desync combos that make the Ice Climbers look like patron saints
No. I just want “someone who summons punching ghost to do things.” Not just an Advertisement for Persona 5 who is Sheik with Better Limit. Imagine for example having a Side Smash you can move during since a separate entity is there doing it instead. That just sounds cool.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I mean Skull Kid is cool in Majora because he is being controlled by the Mask. He’s a distant threat who isn’t even that responsible for his actions as he’s a child slowly being corrupted by the Mask into being an Awful Person. And I’m not sure if that Dynamic could be replicating in something like a Fighting Game. Now Zelda One-Offs aren’t completely off-limits, Sheik exists, but I feel like there’s a better option for a One-Off Villain who wouldn’t risk losing what makes that character special while also having a better possible moveset.
IMG_2565.png

Vaati has been fought directly and is a more intentional villain in character than Skull Kid, and is also a Toon Character as a Bonus. I think you genuinely have a cool idea here and I think this would be a fun way to represent more of the Zelda Series since Vaati is technically not a One-Off. I think he’d be neat.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I mean Skull Kid is cool in Majora because he is being controlled by the Mask. He’s a distant threat who isn’t even that responsible for his actions as he’s a child slowly being corrupted by the Mask into being an Awful Person. And I’m not sure if that Dynamic could be replicating in something like a Fighting Game. Now Zelda One-Offs aren’t completely off-limits, Sheik exists, but I feel like there’s a better option for a One-Off Villain who wouldn’t risk losing what makes that character special while also having a better possible moveset.
View attachment 383034
Vaati has been fought directly and is a more intentional villain in character than Skull Kid, and is also a Toon Character as a Bonus. I think you genuinely have a cool idea here and I think this would be a fun way to represent more of the Zelda Series since Vaati is technically not a One-Off. I think he’d be neat.
Vaati would be cool!
If he uses The Wind instead of dark magic!
The MC Version just uses dark magic!
Him Using body parts of his boss form and wind magic while using his human form normally would be really cool!
There is one issue with vaati tho his human form is a capcom/ Flagship character and those usually never appear in nintendo zeldas!
(I mean when was the last time we saw the Tokay, Minish etc.)

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Golden Sun getting a new game would be huge for their chances in Smash. I hesitate to say "lock" but it's as close as you can get without Nintendo just announcing him as playable.

Some other franchises getting a new game like Castlevania, Mega Man and Metroid could lead to one or all 3 getting a new character, at least in a perfect world. I'd be happy with Alucard and especially happy if he got a new game. With Metroid I want Raven Beak but I also want MP4 to drop as a SW2 launch title so there could be a potential newcomer from it. Mega Man getting a new game would be awesome and I'd love for another character.

Sonic will get a new game but they feel undervalued by Smash so I dunno it's been so long with just Sonic I appreciate the ATs and stuff but I'd love for another character especially robotnik...

Metal Gear Solid getting revived would be incredible if it doesn't suck lol but would it lead to anything for Smash? Hmm... I don't know.

DKC getting a new game could lead to another character but again I'm not sure what direction it'd take or if legacy wants like Dixie would be appropriate if the game deals with a new cast or something... But there's also MvD so there's a bit going for DK fans rn.

But also I just think any new game during the sunset of Switch and release of SW2 are fair for using as an indicator of potential Smash character additions.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Golden Sun getting a new game would be huge for their chances in Smash. I hesitate to say "lock" but it's as close as you can get without Nintendo just announcing him as playable.

Some other franchises getting a new game like Castlevania, Mega Man and Metroid could lead to one or all 3 getting a new character, at least in a perfect world. I'd be happy with Alucard and especially happy if he got a new game. With Metroid I want Raven Beak but I also want MP4 to drop as a SW2 launch title so there could be a potential newcomer from it. Mega Man getting a new game would be awesome and I'd love for another character.

Sonic will get a new game but they feel undervalued by Smash so I dunno it's been so long with just Sonic I appreciate the ATs and stuff but I'd love for another character especially robotnik...

Metal Gear Solid getting revived would be incredible if it doesn't suck lol but would it lead to anything for Smash? Hmm... I don't know.

DKC getting a new game could lead to another character but again I'm not sure what direction it'd take or if legacy wants like Dixie would be appropriate if the game deals with a new cast or something... But there's also MvD so there's a bit going for DK fans rn.

But also I just think any new game during the sunset of Switch and release of SW2 are fair for using as an indicator of potential Smash character additions.
Isaac and Mathew would be great for 1 Reason THEY USE EARTH MAGIC Like barely anyone in fiction uses earth magic!

Top Bottom