• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

This will be our first newcomer for Smash 6, replacing the Inkling trailer with Amogus. :4pacman:
And Henry Stickmin becomes first Assist Trophy of Smash 6.
No FNF content Confirmed, because FNF and Newgrounds is very Obscure in Japan. No one even knows about Newgrounds in Japan, even Sakurai doesn't know about it.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
This will be our first newcomer for Smash 6, replacing the Inkling trailer with Amogus. :4pacman:
I actually imagined that an Among Us character trailer would have Samus walking cautiously through a spaceship with the lights out, making it look as though it's going to be a trailer for a Metroid character, Master Chief, Doom Slayer or whoever would seem to fit the atmosphere.
Then a door open, and a shockingly familiar shape reveals a suspicious-looking newcomer.
Crewmate is up to the task!
Red: idk guys orange is looking super sus

Gengar84

Smash Hero
True. Though I wonder if that would still be the case if it wasn't packed in with the NES. Or if it would just be another Hogan's Alley.

So are hanafuda cards and love hotels. That doesn't mean they should be Smash Fighters.

View attachment 335422
Sucumbio already guessed it but it's Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy. That game is one of my favorites and I feel it is very underrated. Thankfully you can get it for fairly cheap on the PS4 shop these days. If anyone has ever played Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy is basically a spiritual successor to those games and has near identical gameplay. I encourage anyone to check it out if they enjoyed the Dark Cloud games.

RG - Zegram 3.jpg

I actually imagined that an Among Us character trailer would have Samus walking cautiously through a spaceship with the lights out, making it look as though it's going to be a trailer for a Metroid character, Master Chief, Doom Slayer or whoever would seem to fit the atmosphere.
Then a door open, and a shockingly familiar shape reveals a suspicious-looking newcomer.
That would be cool, especially with Henry Stickmin as Assist Trophy reveal.
And Newgrounds Spirits like Alien Hominid Spirit, except FNF spirits (Although we can include BF and GF spirits, but it will be small price for Confusion). They're oversatured nowadays.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I personally think that a Pit-like reimagining of a retro character is pretty possible. The best example I can think of for this would be Takamaru, but also characters like Mach Rider, Mike Jones or even a character from Pro Wrestling (maybe Starman or The Amazon?) could work wonders! (I think Sukapon would work well as more of a translation of his NES self to the modern era, though.)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Speaking of Steve if custom moves comes back in the next smash game what would you like Steve to get for his custom special moves to be?
There are a lot of options when it comes to Minecraft items
So i was still thinking about this but i thought of something that maybe Alex can be upgraded into echo fighter that would use the other items of Minecraft on her specials moves
Neutral Special should stay the same as :ultsteve: with the Crafting Table function
Side Special: Using the Bow and Arrow similar to :ultlink: neutral special but it can be aimed in different direction

Up Special: Throwing Enderpearl and spawn Alex on where it would land and can be aimed in different direction like :ultyoshi: up special

Down Special: Using Wooden Door and Iron Door with Red stone and Pressure Plate so when you step on the pressure plate the door opens on them and launches them sideways it doesnt have large hitbox like :ultsteve: TNT but its very effective when someone gets by it and the doors could stay as much as much as :ultvillager: Tree but it can be easily be damaged by others and break it. Wooden Door would be weaker than Iron Door, also you cant use the Iron Door unless you collect enough Iron.

The rest of the moveset could stay the same as :ultsteve:
So what do you think? i think many do want to see Alph upgraded to an echo with Rock Pikmin in the next Smash game but how about upgrading Alex to an echo using the other Minecraft items for moveset?

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Speaking of Steve if custom moves comes back in the next smash game what would you like Steve to get for his custom special moves to be?
There are a lot of options when it comes to Minecraft items
Here's my own ideas (I'm only going to submit one set, though.)

Neutral B - Gravity-Affected Blocks
Whilst this is probably pretty uninspired, it's the first one that came to mind for me. Given how complex Steve's Neutral B even is, it just... makes sense. The idea is that in this stage, blocks would be replaced with sand and gravel. Then, when placed, they will fall a few frames after being placed - and will continue to do so either until they land on a surface such as the stage, or fall offstage. Whilst lacking aerial control, it's interesting in that the blocks actually have a hitbox (though not a big one) if they hit an opponent.

Side B - Splash Potions
Working in a similar vein to how Sora's Neutral B switches between different effects, Steve gets a new Side-B which references the potion mechanic from his game. Upon using it, he tosses a potion in front of him, that will then create a small area of effect, shown by the little squiggle effects we usually see. These last up to 7 seconds, and are (in order,)

Potion of Regeneration - Standing in the field during this will regenerate a bit of your health over time, acting a little like the Healing Field item. However, it's not by much - only healing around 12% if you stand in it for the full 7 seconds.
Potion of Swiftness - Standing in the field will give you a temporary speed boost, which lasts twice as long as you stand in the field. For instance, if you stand in it for 5 seconds, the effect lasts for 10 seconds.
Potion of Strength - Standing in this field, similarly to with the Pption of Swiftness, will give you a temporary boost in attack power and knockback - which lasts twice as long as you stand in the field.

A small icon indicating colour (pink for Regeneration, light-blue for Swiftness and purple for Strength) shows which one is currently in use.

Up B - Riptide
Probably one of the weirdest moves here, this has Steve place a bucket of water directly at his feet, before grabbing a trident and using it to shoot into the sky. Unlike with his Elytra, Riptide is not manouverable after its use - but the angle at which you fly can be altered a little (think a little like Lucario's Up B, but with less manouverability.) It goes a little higher than the Elytra, but not having the glide means it suffers in horizontal recovery. When used on the ground, the water actually spills outward a small amount - whilst it does no damage, it pushes opponents and objects away a little. Also - the trident can be thrown at the very top of the attack, being able to be used as an item afterward.

Down B - Dispenser
Working as a sort of alternative to TNT, this works identically in concept. Using Down B will place the dispenser, and then holding it as you move will place redstone - before placing a lever. Then, hitting the lever would have the dispenser fire 12 arrows (with a small gap between each one), and in a forward direction. If the dispenser is hit, however, it stops firing arrows right away. Furthermore, it's nowhere near as powerful as TNT. However - it is possible to place up to two active dispensers on the stage at a time.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Here's my own ideas (I'm only going to submit one set, though.)

Neutral B - Gravity-Affected Blocks
Whilst this is probably pretty uninspired, it's the first one that came to mind for me. Given how complex Steve's Neutral B even is, it just... makes sense. The idea is that in this stage, blocks would be replaced with sand and gravel. Then, when placed, they will fall a few frames after being placed - and will continue to do so either until they land on a surface such as the stage, or fall offstage. Whilst lacking aerial control, it's interesting in that the blocks actually have a hitbox (though not a big one) if they hit an opponent.

Side B - Splash Potions
Working in a similar vein to how Sora's Neutral B switches between different effects, Steve gets a new Side-B which references the potion mechanic from his game. Upon using it, he tosses a potion in front of him, that will then create a small area of effect, shown by the little squiggle effects we usually see. These last up to 7 seconds, and are (in order,)

Potion of Regeneration - Standing in the field during this will regenerate a bit of your health over time, acting a little like the Healing Field item. However, it's not by much - only healing around 12% if you stand in it for the full 7 seconds.
Potion of Swiftness - Standing in the field will give you a temporary speed boost, which lasts twice as long as you stand in the field. For instance, if you stand in it for 5 seconds, the effect lasts for 10 seconds.
Potion of Strength - Standing in this field, similarly to with the Pption of Swiftness, will give you a temporary boost in attack power and knockback - which lasts twice as long as you stand in the field.

A small icon indicating colour (pink for Regeneration, light-blue for Swiftness and purple for Strength) shows which one is currently in use.

Up B - Riptide
Probably one of the weirdest moves here, this has Steve place a bucket of water directly at his feet, before grabbing a trident and using it to shoot into the sky. Unlike with his Elytra, Riptide is not manouverable after its use - but the angle at which you fly can be altered a little (think a little like Lucario's Up B, but with less manouverability.) It goes a little higher than the Elytra, but not having the glide means it suffers in horizontal recovery. When used on the ground, the water actually spills outward a small amount - whilst it does no damage, it pushes opponents and objects away a little. Also - the trident can be thrown at the very top of the attack, being able to be used as an item afterward.

Down B - Dispenser
Working as a sort of alternative to TNT, this works identically in concept. Using Down B will place the dispenser, and then holding it as you move will place redstone - before placing a lever. Then, hitting the lever would have the dispenser fire 12 arrows (with a small gap between each one), and in a forward direction. If the dispenser is hit, however, it stops firing arrows right away. Furthermore, it's nowhere near as powerful as TNT. However - it is possible to place up to two active dispensers on the stage at a time.
I was thinking of the gravity blocks but I would assume they would only replace the Dirt block while the rest blocks remains the same for wood and stone and iron as they are important for the crafting table

10 Things that we might get in Smash 6:

10. Rollback Netcode: Well, we already want that thing in next game due to Sakurai scrapping to due to weird Side Effects.

9. Fire Emblem rep, who doesn't have Sword: Yeah, good FE rep doesn't wield a sword, but it has unique thing like Crystal that Tiki uses. Maybe Tiki is next Smash 6 Fighter from Fire Emblem.

8. Another Classical 1st Party Retro Rep: Ah yes, my favorite. Retro Reps. Those guys and gals need to be Revived, but there are plenty of them and we need to think who would that be? Maybe Mach Rider, Muddy Mole, ExciteBiker (My Pick) or even better Retro Takamaru. We need retros in next game.

7. Miscellaneous 1st Party: Next topic is new 1st Party character, who will join the roster. Isaac is also requested character along with Ring Fit trainee or even Akira Howard, who have also chance to brawl. The games sales are high, so we can include them.

6. Most Requested 3rd Parties: Well, we have plenty of them and we need to think who has the greatest chance to join the Battle! Maybe Crash, Rayman or Master Chief, who would work perfectly in Smash. Crash and Rayman are popular in Japan, but Halo doesn't. Like I said earlier, some 3rd Parties can't Join Smash. Well, my Boi Jonesy is highly requested character and he can join Smash despite his game becomes hated for long time and if he was in Smash, it could fix the problem about Fortnite's downfall (Just saying, we don't know about Future).

5. New Story Mode that revolve around Nintendo Multiverse and 3rd Party Omniverse being separated and the Heroes need to connect both Multiversal Worlds back to restore the peace and interconnect the places to Fix their world of Trophies.

4. Assist Trophy Fighter: Waluigi, Alucard, Isaac, Lyndis or even Andross!! Next game needs some Assist Trophy fighters to make fans very happy and appeal the roster like Little Mac or Isabelle.

3. Indie Representative: Indie character, aka Deviantart OCs, but from Small VG company should join the roster, like Sans, Frisk, Impostor, Castle Crasher or even Filia from Skullgirls. Some of them won't join the Roster like Henry Stickmin, BF from FNF or even someone less known.

2. New Moves: Well, we need new moves like Back Tilt or Backwards Smash and ShiShield Special to make gameplay more interesting and creative.

1. A SONY/PLAYSTION REPRESENTATIVE!!!!: We need a SONY rep in the next Game! since Playstation character are iconic, then we can include them in the Game even if they didn't appear on Nintendo Consoles. There are plenty of them to join the Roster without any downsides.

Honorable Mentions:
  • No more Joke Characters! That's right. Virtual Boy is last Joke character in Smash history! No one else, who is useless can join smash. Virtual Boy is the last and we never gonna give any Joke Characters ever again!
  • Villain Rep: Dr. Eggman, DJ Octavio, Medusa and others, who are evil, should join the Roster. They're highly requested and they have unique moveset Potential, especially Star Fox's Andross, who should join the Roster in Smash 6 as Playable.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I was thinking of the gravity blocks but I would assume they would only replace the Dirt block while the rest blocks remains the same for wood and stone and iron as they are important for the crafting table
My own thought for it would be that wood, stone and iron would still work as normal, but you wouldn't be able to place them - they'd work exclusively for weapons - though it would have an increased drop rate for sand and gravel. Not sure if it would work, though...

My own thought for it would be that wood, stone and iron would still work as normal, but you wouldn't be able to place them - they'd work exclusively for weapons - though it would have an increased drop rate for sand and gravel. Not sure if it would work, though...
And Steve's new Final Smahs is the End, where Steve rides on Ender Dragon and shoots his balls at opponents, killing them.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Uhhhh the guy you mention is Allen from Culdcept, Tir I think is from Suikoden, G-Red is from Gotcha Force, Max could be a lot of things and Undead Hero is from Guardian Heroes. Did I get 'em right?
Pretty good.
I know for a fact G Red is Gotcha Force. I love that game and its apparently super expensive now. Glad I still have my copy. Max could be many characters (Scribblenauts?) but my bias says Dark Cloud 2. Dont know the others
Good job on G-Red. Admittingly, I was wondering how many people would mistake him for Red from Gunstar Heroes, but that's looking not as likely as I thought.

And for Max, the hint is that they were mentioned earlier in the thread before my post.

Very curious on who here would get that last one.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Meatballs. Sakurai likes Meatballs Confirmed.
And Meatwad from ATHF joins the Roster (Forget about Non-Gaming Character rule, next game won't care about who is Gaming Character or Not, since Next game is about Dreams)
The idea of Meatwad getting into the game is so hilarious to me because of what it opens up. Like, the colossal, Internet-encompassing argument of why Master Shake is an Assist Trophy but Carl Brutananadilewski got a Mii Fighter costume.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I just realized we kinda have two Kingdom Hearts reps. Sephiroth got a lot of his moveset from KH, even the One Wing started there.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I just realized we kinda have two Kingdom Hearts reps. Sephiroth got a lot of his moveset from KH, even the One Wing started there.
Three if you count Cloud’s Voice actor in Smash making his debut in Kingdom Hearts 1.
It’s minor though so it doesn’t need to count.

Agreed, and Nintendo has a cowboy character that hasn’t been seen or heard from since the super scope days - Tin Star
View attachment 335466
He’s more metallic and rust covered than old and grizzled but hey - his game is still fun
I don't know man, he is too Lighthearted to join and they need to shrink his chin, because he looks like Robot Johnny Bravo if he was born in 1800's America.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I would like that Nintendo does something for Smash 25th anniversary (2024). Like the speculated Ultimate Deluxe, more up to date with late/future switch releases

This is more speculative, but what about a Smash Brothers movie ? They are now focused on the Mario movie but don’t be strange they have plans for more stuff, the cast really suggest the next step is a Donkey Kong Country movie with the full DK family (Diddy, Dixie, Funky and more, King K Rool as a villain) and wouldn’t be surprised they also talked about more Mario Spins-Offs like Luigis Mansion, Yoshis Story or Wario Land movies.

Another huge candidate would be a Legend of Zelda movie. I think any Miyamoto IP (Mario, LOZ, Pikmin, Star Fox) its possible to get it own big screen treatment.

So then, Nintendo can do its own Avengers style movie with Smash, with Sakurai’s help.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I don't know man, he is too Lighthearted to join and they need to shrink his chin, because he looks like Robot Johnny Bravo if he was born in 1800's America.
That is a great comparison haha

yeah Tin Star could use a modern redesign but the cartoon proportions shouldn’t be nixed entirely

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Yeah, he should be more realistic compared to his Classy 1800's Robot Johnny Bravo design.
Every Retro rep should get a Redesign like Ice Climbers did or Pit.
I think that the only real exceptions should be in situations where the original character has enough personality, and a good enough design, to where it's not really necessary - the only example I can think of is Sukapon. Other characters should get the reinvention treatment. (LOOKING AT MACH RIDER HERE)

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I actually do wonder, when Smash 6 comes around, Will Among Us will still be relevant enough for people to want in the next Smash? In the next 2-6 years?

I would like that Nintendo does something for Smash 25th anniversary (2024). Like the speculated Ultimate Deluxe, more up to date with late/future switch releases

This is more speculative, but what about a Smash Brothers movie ? They are now focused on the Mario movie but don’t be strange they have plans for more stuff, the cast really suggest the next step is a Donkey Kong Country movie with the full DK family (Diddy, Dixie, Funky and more, King K Rool as a villain) and wouldn’t be surprised they also talked about more Mario Spins-Offs like Luigis Mansion, Yoshis Story or Wario Land movies.

Another huge candidate would be a Legend of Zelda movie. I think any Miyamoto IP (Mario, LOZ, Pikmin, Star Fox) its possible to get it own big screen treatment.

So then, Nintendo can do its own Avengers style movie with Smash, with Sakurai’s help.
Unless the Nintendo Switch Successor is out by then which is possible, Regardless of that, I think is too soon for that happen.

I would kill for a Smash Movie made from the team who make the trailers. Subspace wasn't that good except the cutscenes which were great and since everyone talks about those the most, I wonder why don't Subspace fans clamour for a Smash movie where their hopes are most likely going to be realised.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Is NateDrake a reliable "insider"?

If there is a switch 2 in 2022/23 maybe the next Smash would be on it and out sooner than later....?
Honesty, I'm real tired of these so-called 'insiders' especially with this Switch Pro since 2018 to the point that Nintendo had to deconfirm themselves for investors. The fact it says Switch 2 for 2022 despite Nintendo planning a packed year for it already shows you that it is fake.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Two days ago, I gave my support for Nahobino. Yesterday, I gave my support for Pyoro. Who will I be supporting today?

The Dark Lord from Miitopia. A very underrated pick, imo. He's got a plethora of moves to choose from, and I'm surprised he isn't talked about as much. Ever since I replayed Miitopia on the Switch, I thought "Damn, the Dark Lord would actually be really cool for Smash." Just throwing it out there.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I've been thinking about it for a bit and I believe it's quite likely that the project plan for the next Smash Bros is gonna be finalized in 2023/2024. That should be around the time when the next Nintendo console will be revealed and Smash development usually goes full force a year or so before the console releases.

Nintendo knows how much of a system seller Smash is, so they want it to release within the first two years of the console's life. That's been the case for all Smash games since Melee, and I don't see it changing. We know from Furukawa that the Switch is in the middle of it's life cycle earlier this year, which could mean that we'll get the next console in 2024/2025.

We know from Sakurai that once the project plan has been finalized, they never deviate from it and change the roster, with exceptions happening to technical hardware issues like the Chorus Kids in 4 or one of the most popular requests delaying the game like Sonic in Brawl (but with the addition of DLC the latter becomes a moot point).

What I'm trying to get at is that it's likely we won't get any characters introduced after 2024 in the base roster of the next Smash game considering the project plan will already be finalized by then. The ONLY exception to this is Pokemon, where an obligatory future slot is placed for an unknown Pokemon game that will be decided later.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Is NateDrake a reliable "insider"?

If there is a switch 2 in 2022/23 maybe the next Smash would be on it and out sooner than later....?
He seems to be a cointoss for credibility as far as I’m aware.

I don’t buy that leak for a second though, Switch Pro has been rumored forever and theres no way Nintendos been developing such a basic upgrade that long without its true identity leaking till now.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don’t buy that leak for a second though, Switch Pro has been rumored forever and theres no way Nintendos been developing such a basic upgrade that long without its true identity leaking till now.
We really need to let go of that idea and just accept the Switch OLED as the "Switch Pro" regardless of how much of a hardware upgrade it actually is.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
We really need to let go of that idea and just accept the Switch OLED as the "Switch Pro" regardless of how much of a hardware upgrade it actually is.
Yeah, as unfortunate as it is to some people. The fact is that the Switch OLED is a price increase in exchange for upgraded hardware. I mean, how would a Switch Pro even release after the OLED?

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Unless the Nintendo Switch Successor is out by then which is possible, Regardless of that, I think is too soon for that happen.
Ultimate was made in 3 years (december 2015 - december 2018), so I imagine an Ultimate DX can be made is much less, between 2-2.5 years.

A 2024 release would be possible.

Other 25th anniversary plans that they can make:

1) Add the original Smash 64 into NSO premium service, with online features.
2) re-release HD remasters of Melee and possible Brawl with added online play (like 3D Mario All-Stars games). They already have a gamecube/wii emulator so the work wouldn’t be very difficult. Melee is very loved in lots of people and still played theses days. Brawl isn’t popular any more but would be great to have a modern way to play SSE.

Top Bottom