• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
My prediction for the next Smash is the same one I had for Ultimate before it was revealed.

Barring any 3rd party legalities, no characters are getting cut.
I'm not sure about that as this point. I think that there will be cuts of some kind unless they go the Ultimate port route.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
simple it's the way it's phrased. in this cause it sounded like they were trying to shut me down by invalidating my opinion rather than opening it up to further discussion
No one said you couldn't have a problem with Byleth's moveset, the issue people took was the specific thing you pointed out.
Byleth's moveset sucks to me but it's objectively not a lack of creative liberty being taken to composite the House Leader's relics into their moveset. It's just a waste of Byleth's own potential with a whipsword moveset (that we're now incredibly unlikely to see in future) that incorporates Divine Pulse.

On what basis? Smash has always been very conservative with cuts (as per stated by sakurai on how much he dislikes removing characters without good reason), and it only falls down to a couple of reasons -
1. 3rd party issues. Snake was hit in smash 4
2. system limitations with the 3ds. ICs were cut and Pokemon trainer was gutted because of that
3. Production time limitations and priorities - it prevented Wolf/Pichu/young link/roy from returning in brawl and then Lucas in smash 4.

Unless nintendo loses their mind and downgrades from the switch for no good reason, point 2 is bust. And the thing about 3 is that they took a risk and brought everyone back. They ended up selling 30 million copies and now you're arguing that they're going to cut stuff for the sake of doing so?? Is it worth cutting one-third of the roster so that we get brand new graphics??? Especially when those cuts happened to clones, none of which were actual unique characters.

It's also really funny how you forgot that for the 3rd reason - the "cuts" came from Mother/Pokemon/Zelda/FE in brawl and then star fox. And the hilarious thing is that roy was literally worked on for brawl (in the datamined content) and then returned asap in smash 4 dlc. So tell me why FE keeps being brought up all the time. Shall we talk about Pokemon given Pichu and jiggs (almost cut in brawl) precarious position? Or how squirtle and ivysaur were just removed completely instead of being separated? The former isn't really a great point given how its moreso of a 2nd reason, but since we're on that subject it shows nintendo and sakurai's priorities in these ~cut talks~.
On the basis that Sakurai has literally said it was a steep task to bring everyone back for Ultimate's base roster.
Now imagine trying to bring back everyone after all the DLC Ultimate got and adding enough new characters to incentivise buying the next game.

It's a ton of time and resources spent on making that happen, infinite growth is entirely unsustainable.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Blatant story issues aside, I like where they went overall with Engage. That said, I wouldn't really like to see Alear in Smash, though not from any spite towards Engage, which I found to be an enjoyable game.
It's just with Engage being an overall more lowkey release compared to TH, Fates, or Awakening, it doesn't seem as necessary to include as reps from those other games; like if I was setting priorities for everyone I would probably prefer to have back the ones we have now over getting Alear.
Add in the fact that the whole marketing basis for Engage was literally nostalgia for the older characters, and yeah...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
On the basis that Sakurai has literally said it was a steep task to bring everyone back for Ultimate's base roster.
Now imagine trying to bring back everyone after all the DLC Ultimate got and adding enough new characters to incentivise buying the next game.

It's a ton of time and resources spent on making that happen, infinite growth is entirely unsustainable.
Pretty much. Ultimate itself already had a lack of new content at launch, as much of their resources were spent bringing back old content. There were only five truly unique newcomers (Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool, and Incineroar) with the other six newcomer spots being occupied by clones (Isabelle, Ken, Daisy, Richter, Chrom, and Dark Samus). There are also only four new stages total in the base game, those being New Donk City Hall, Great Plateau Tower, Moray Towers, and Dracula's Castle. Even the modes suffered as well, as a lot of the resources went to World of Light, the Spirits, and the revamped Classic Mode. Event Matches, Target Blast, Coin Matches, and Master/Crazy Orders were dropped completely, and Mutli-Man Smash was gimped. Of the original six modes here only three remained, those being 100-Man Smash (now called Century Smash), Cruel Smash, and Endless Smash (which was merged with All-Star Mode, which no longer exists as a separate mode). 10-Man Smash, 3 Minute Smash, and Rival Smash were all cut. In addition Home Run Contest and Stage Builder were not in the game at launch and were instead added later on in free update patches.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
On what basis? Smash has always been very conservative with cuts (as per stated by sakurai on how much he dislikes removing characters without good reason), and it only falls down to a couple of reasons -
1. 3rd party issues. Snake was hit in smash 4
2. system limitations with the 3ds. ICs were cut and Pokemon trainer was gutted because of that
3. Production time limitations and priorities - it prevented Wolf/Pichu/young link/roy from returning in brawl and then Lucas in smash 4.

Unless nintendo loses their mind and downgrades from the switch for no good reason, point 2 is bust. And the thing about 3 is that they took a risk and brought everyone back. They ended up selling 30 million copies and now you're arguing that they're going to cut stuff for the sake of doing so?? Is it worth cutting one-third of the roster so that we get brand new graphics??? Especially when those cuts happened to clones, none of which were actual unique characters.
You're invoking precedent. Ok, so, in terms of precedent, every Smash game has rebuilt its roster from a much more ground level, effectively (not 100%, but mostly) starting over development-wise. Ultimate was the only one that didn't. So based on precedent, Ultimate would be an outlier. Maybe we get some deluxe port, but I'm not going to proceed as if that's a foregone conclusion. That's even more unprecedented for Smash. Even if we did, eventually the roster will have to start anew, this method isn't tenable. Sakurai has said as much.

It's also Nintendo's MO to more often rebuild sequels than just take the package and keep going. It happens, but it's not the norm. Not that I'm saying they don't use any prior asset or base, just rarely in the same vein as the 4 to Ultimate progression.

And when the roster does rebuild, there will be cuts. A bunch. Because reaching the current count from an incipient stage isn't feasible. Previous games were conservative with cuts because up until 4 they had the resources to bring most of the roster back if they started again. Now the roster is basically 90, and with newcomers on top of that, there simply won't be the time/budget. So cuts will have to happen to a greater extent.

They ended up selling 30 million copies and now you're arguing that they're going to cut stuff for the sake of doing so??
It's not cuts for the sake of cuts, it's cuts because making the roster again without cuts isn't feasible, and building on the current roster indefinitely isn't realistic. You can't attain that quantity with the time/resources Smash is granted.

And yeah, Ultimate has sold 30 million copies. Despite that, Sakurai has still already on multiple occasions warned not to expect something like it again. Take it up with him. With the most recognizable faces from Nintendo, retaining a strong handful of the third-parties, a compelling selection of newcomers, any other vets you have the resources bring back, and a successful system/large install base, the next Smash will still do very well.

It's also really funny how you forgot that for the 3rd reason - the "cuts" came from Mother/Pokemon/Zelda/FE in brawl and then star fox. And the hilarious thing is that roy was literally worked on for brawl (in the datamined content) and then returned asap in smash 4 dlc. So tell me why FE keeps being brought up all the time. Shall we talk about Pokemon given Pichu and jiggs (almost cut in brawl) precarious position? Or how squirtle and ivysaur were just removed completely instead of being separated? The former isn't really a great point given how its moreso of a 2nd reason, but since we're on that subject it shows nintendo and sakurai's priorities in these ~cut talks~.
I didn't forget, the current conversation was also about FE/swordsmen. When the roster rebuilds I do think we'll lose characters in Mario, Pokemon and Zelda as well, because the more characters you have, the more likely cuts are. At least with the first-parties. But I'm not convinced we'll both lose a unique character and get a swordie in those series, which is the part of your quote I was replying to. I do think that's likely with FE.

Go ahead and talk about Pokemon, if you want. It's gonna get cuts too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No one said you couldn't have a problem with Byleth's moveset, the issue people took was the specific thing you pointed out.
Byleth's moveset sucks to me but it's objectively not a lack of creative liberty being taken to composite the House Leader's relics into their moveset. It's just a waste of Byleth's own potential with a whipsword moveset (that we're now incredibly unlikely to see in future) that incorporates Divine Pulse.
and I never said it was my only issue. I’ve certainly said in the past that he should have been based on his signature class

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Pretty much. Ultimate itself already had a lack of new content at launch, as much of their resources were spent bringing back old content. There were only five truly unique newcomers (Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool, and Incineroar) with the other six newcomer spots being occupied by clones (Isabelle, Ken, Daisy, Richter, Chrom, and Dark Samus). There are also only four new stages total in the base game, those being New Donk City Hall, Great Plateau Tower, Moray Towers, and Dracula's Castle. Even the modes suffered as well, as a lot of the resources went to World of Light, the Spirits, and the revamped Classic Mode. Event Matches, Target Blast, Coin Matches, and Master/Crazy Orders were dropped completely, and Mutli-Man Smash was gimped. Of the original six modes here only three remained, those being 100-Man Smash (now called Century Smash), Cruel Smash, and Endless Smash (which was merged with All-Star Mode, which no longer exists as a separate mode). 10-Man Smash, 3 Minute Smash, and Rival Smash were all cut. In addition Home Run Contest and Stage Builder were not in the game at launch and were instead added later on in free update patches.
Tangential to the point but man I miss All-Star. Traditional All-Star. Lowkey gutted they didn't bring it back - it would've been wild with nearly 90 characters, maybe actually more of a challenge. Perhaps that is why they didn't have it return... but from a development standpoint, it really wouldn't have been that intensive to create.

Not having Stage Builder at launch was pretty terrible, honestly
It was unfortunate but if they had to deprioritize something to make their target release, that's a sacrifice I would be ok with them choosing, personally. I'd take no stage builder at launch and get the game sooner than wait until it's all ready (or lose some other mode in base like WoL).

Back in the day something like that either would've delayed the game or been cut full stop. I think this was the lesser of those evils.

It did give me a naive hope that we'd end up getting more modes dropped periodically as DLC, though. Which was a dream that didn't last long lol

Should Bowser's final smash be changed to Fury Bowser? Or is Giga Bowser too iconic?
It'd be cool if one was the FS and the other just a boss, so there could be both. I don't see them fully ditching Giga Bowser given his Smash legacy, but tbh I think Fury Bowser is cooler, so I would like to see him incorporated.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, Giga Bowser would make for a nice semi-clone using the Pre-4 moveset. And a bigger version as a boss(who can't be thrown). Making the playable ones also the same weight as Bowser works, so he could potentially be an Echo(depending if the models are the same, as he's still have a ton of different animations. Probably wouldn't be an Echo with that in mind).

I miss the old Bowser playstyle, and it's one of many ways to bring it back while bringing back a popular form but as his own character(he was lightly separated in Melee, due to being treated as a different franchise character, and World of Light made everyone separate entirely, even Ganondorf from Ganon and another version of Ganondorf due to Spirits being the essence of a full character. It's a weird mode).

Stage Builder was fun in Brawl, and a little in 4, but it didn't really evolve in Ultimate, so it never felt worth it. Seriously, letting us make our own target tests would've been a perfect upgrade to it, especially when we don't have any kind of Target Test in Ultimate. Even if it's not the best "style" for all, it's sorely missed and one of the original staples. Race to the Finish leaving wasn't a big deal because it got really hyper long in Melee to the point of being tedious(instead of testing your skills in different ways like Target Tests do, even in 4.

Sure, 4 and Brawl went generic, but you need to know exactly how your character interacts with the ball in order to get the highest score. It let you figure out your moves in a unique way. Brawl's unfortunately wasn't as interesting, but it still kept the impact). The new Race to the Finish isn't bad, but being entirely the same got boring fast. It was mostly neat in 64 for letting you see a preview of the Polygons. Melee introduced side paths that still gave you some skill testing. I still miss Board the Platforms, but Melee fused that style with Race to the Finish. Unfortunately not even Ultimate has a feel of BTP at all. It's much more simple of a mode and path, with almost zero branches. It's still fun, but having more variety would've helped alleviate doing it over 60 times.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Tangential to the point but man I miss All-Star. Traditional All-Star. Lowkey gutted they didn't bring it back - it would've been wild with nearly 90 characters, maybe actually more of a challenge. Perhaps that is why they didn't have it return... but from a development standpoint, it really wouldn't have been that intensive to create.
Maybe an All-Star Mode with sections of each fighter's game of debut, attributing to their Fighter Numbers?

Stratos

Smash Ace
List of video game characters that are by Nintendo but never released in Japan:

Tin Star (Tin Star)
Unicycle (Uniracers)
John Raimi (Geist)
Queen Azarel (Warlocked)
Chief Zog (Warlocked)
Mike Jones (StarTropics series)
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)

I mention them because in no game of the Super Smash Bros. series have they been shown either as fighters or as trophies (including assist trophies) or as stickers or as spirits. They may never have released their games in Japan but they are still of Nintendo.

Last edited:

Tin Star (Tin Star)
Unicycle (Uniracers)
John Raimi (Geist)
Queen Azarel (Warlocked)
Chief Zog (Warlocked)
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)

I mention them because in no game of the Super Smash Bros. series have they been shown either as fighters or as trophies (including assist trophies) or as stickers or as spirits. They may never have released their games in Japan but they are still of Nintendo.
Of that list, Mike Jones and Mr. Stevenson seem like the most likely picks. Of course, since this is the first time I've heard of Warlocked, I might have clouded judgement on this.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Tin Star (Tin Star)
Unicycle (Uniracers)
John Raimi (Geist)
Queen Azarel (Warlocked)
Chief Zog (Warlocked)
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)

does nintendo actually own uniracers? i seem to recall they published but i never checked further

Ivander

Smash Legend
Queen Azarel (Warlocked)
Chief Zog (Warlocked)
Well, that's certainly an interesting game I never heard about.

That said, reading up on it, does Nintendo actually own it? It was published by them, but looking at the deal with the sequel Wizards and how they tried to find a publisher gives me the impression that they didn't own it, similar to the first Shantae game being published by Capcom.

Edit: Well, that was convenient timing regarding Shantae.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Alear could just use neutral special Engage to obtain the special abilities of all Emblems. So no need for second-rate characturds like Marth. Roy, IKe, Chrom, Lucina, Corrin, and Byleth

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Honestly CATS would be a cool ****ing stage to have at least have a CATS Assist Trophy. I want more shooters like this referenced in Smash. Somehow.
yeah there isnt 2d spaceship shooter rep in smash and the closest thing is boss galaga item
and whats crazy about CATS that he is the mascot of toaplan due to how iconic he became
you dont often see a main villain becoming a mascot of a company but CATS and Space Invaders are exceptions

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
yeah there isnt 2d spaceship shooter rep in smash and the closest thing is boss galaga item
and whats crazy about CATS that he is the mascot of toaplan due to how iconic he became
you dont often see a main villain becoming a mascot of a company but CATS and Space Invaders are exceptions
I thought their "mascots" where one of the spaceships or the Snow Brothers.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I thought their "mascots" where one of the spaceships or the Snow Brothers.
that was before the company died for like 20 years
currently CATS has been have been promotion more than anything else after toaplan was revived i have kept my eyes on that so i do notice that change because the devs do actually recognize his popularity
they even remade his intro in the game

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Of that list, Mike Jones and Mr. Stevenson seem like the most likely picks. Of course, since this is the first time I've heard of Warlocked, I might have clouded judgement on this.
I'll be honest, none of the listed options have a chance higher than like, 0.000001%. These kinds of western-only characters are straight-up just not on the Smash team's radar.

--------------

Also as someone who quite enjoys some of Toaplan's output, I'm personally not a fan of the idea of having their representative be a character from a mostly-unremarkable game of theirs who's only really popular in the first place for being a meme in the West. That doesn't feel to me like the best representation of the company's output - like, why represent Zero Wing when you could represent stuff like say, Tatsujin, Snow Bros. or Batsugun? I guess then the argument would be that CATS fits best as a playable character but if that's our best option then I'd rather just not have a playable Toaplan rep at all

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Zero Wing having a reference is still good, as it's legitimately memorable. It doesn't matter why it is. It's still well known. If not one of the most infamous moments from the company's works and all.

But it being the only representation I agree is a bit silly. It's not all that matters. It's just one smaller part of a company's works. A worthwhile part to include, but not all there is to it.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I'll be honest, none of the listed options have a chance higher than like, 0.000001%. These kinds of western-only characters are straight-up just not on the Smash team's radar.

--------------

Also as someone who quite enjoys some of Toaplan's output, I'm personally not a fan of the idea of having their representative be a character from a mostly-unremarkable game of theirs who's only really popular in the first place for being a meme in the West. That doesn't feel to me like the best representation of the company's output - like, why represent Zero Wing when you could represent stuff like say, Tatsujin, Snow Bros. or Batsugun? I guess then the argument would be that CATS fits best as a playable character but if that's our best option then I'd rather just not have a playable Toaplan rep at all
the other picks you mention are really obscure they did not blow up in popularity compared to CATS other toaplan rep wont get reaction as much as CATS would
also toaplan do embrace the memes its because they do recognize he is their most iconic character it is a special case remember sans isnt even the main character in undertale yet his mii costume was chosen over frisk because they do recognize he is more iconic and it does work from business perspective and he is the most sold mii costume currently

anyway i know its unlikely we will get a toaplan rep there is a lot of company competing for a slot in smash

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Zero Wing having a reference is still good, as it's legitimately memorable. It doesn't matter why it is. It's still well known. If not one of the most infamous moments from the company's works and all.

But it being the only representation I agree is a bit silly. It's not all that matters. It's just one smaller part of a company's works. A worthwhile part to include, but not all there is to it.
well now I’m gonna have to google it

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
The question also needs to be asked as to how much All Your Base permeated Japan, because the game really isn't much without it in terms of familiarity.
Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at. Having the main representative of the company be a character and game almost solely known because of a meme that I'm not sure is even that big in Japan would be......a Choice. Not that Toaplan are very likely to be repped in the first place, but to me personally CATS would not feel like an especially accurate or respectful representation of what they did

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The question also needs to be asked as to how much All Your Base permeated Japan, because the game really isn't much without it in terms of familiarity.
Japanese had something else their version of zero wing had the most endings of any video game for its time and its funny
so he is comical even in the Japanese version and meant to be like this and break the 4th wall so he does have more personality than other toaplan characters in general

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at. Having the main representative of the company be a character and game almost solely known because of a meme that I'm not sure is even that big in Japan would be......a Choice. Not that Toaplan are very likely to be repped in the first place, but to me personally CATS would not feel like an especially accurate or respectful representation of what they did
Well I mean I don't think Toaplan would get anything if it didn't get something from Zero Wing. Like, imagine Zero Wing didn't exist. Would anyone expect anything from the (former) dev?

Because you kinda need to know English to appreciate the humor of the meme, and because the meme is so old, it peaked when the internet was a lot more decentralized, I question whether it did spread to Japan. I rather doubt it... though if it did that's great.

And if it did, then yeah... maybe CATS could be in a spirit event or the next game's equivalent. A costume would be funny, and the intro song is actually a banger, but I doubt it'd get that much. Really, anything at all would be a testament to the eminence of the meme.

Having said that, I'm sure Sakurai knows about it, and I don't even believe his English to be very good. He's just an insane encyclopedia who seems to know everything about every game ever.

Japanese had something else their version of zero wing had the most endings of any video game for its time and its funny
That's interesting but it's not necessarily something that's going to make the game particularly well known.

They technically do own it, it's just that Nintendo can't do anything with the IP because of the dumbest lawsuit ever.

Thanks for nothing, Pixar.
The most interesting thing about Uniracers is that Nintendo owns an IP created by Rockstar and the fact that they were set to become one of Nintendo's main partners before Nintendo ****ed it up.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't know a ton about Toaplan but like...

...Imagine if there were only two Pokémon in the next Smash, and they were Pikachu (because duh), and...Magnemite. And the reason Magnemite was chosen was because of an internet meme...an internet meme that was exclusive to Japan.

Insisting Toaplan's representation should come in the form of Zero Wing Specifically feels much the same, but on an even more extreme scale.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I don't know a ton about Toaplan but like...

...Imagine if there were only two Pokémon in the next Smash, and they were Pikachu (because duh), and...Magnemite. And the reason Magnemite was chosen was because of an internet meme...an internet meme that was exclusive to Japan.

Insisting Toaplan's representation should come in the form of Zero Wing Specifically feels much the same, but on an even more extreme scale.
wasn't jigglypuff chosen in 64 because of her funny episode making her popular?

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well I mean I don't think Toaplan would get anything if it didn't get something from Zero Wing. Like, imagine Zero Wing didn't exist. Would anyone expect anything from the (former) dev?
Eh, not really no. I think if some representation did happen it'd be deserved, seeing as they're major pioneers of the shoot em up genre, but we're not getting anything major from them anytime soon. I was very much just arguing in terms of the hypothetical unlikely scenario in that it did happen

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
wasn't jigglypuff chosen in 64 because of her funny episode making her popular?
Jigglypuff is very popular in the anime for its running gag. But also was very easy to create using Kirby's assets. Both played a role. Sakurai made it pretty clear a lot of Pokemon choices at the time were due to "what was hot" and such(which started to become dropped pretty going into 4. It didn't even affect all of Pokemon Trainer, if any of it at all. Lucario was about the same situation, at least). Mewtwo was the only other one on his 64 List, and wasn't remotely viable to easily create at the time(thankfully it came about in Melee~).

The most interesting thing about Uniracers is that Nintendo owns an IP created by Rockstar and the fact that they were set to become one of Nintendo's main partners before Nintendo ****ed it up.
Does this mean that GTA could have become a Nintendo exclusive if not for Pixar (let's be honest, mostly Lasseter) thinking they're hot shots for creating a living unicycle?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Does this mean that GTA could have become a Nintendo exclusive if not for Pixar (let's be honest, mostly Lasseter) thinking they're hot shots for creating a living unicycle?
The real thing that splintered DMA Design (AKA Rockstar North) and Nintendo's relationship was Body Harvest. It was meant to be a Nintendo-published launch title for the N64, but it missed the date and Nintendo started meddling too much with its development so they had other companies publish it.

Top Bottom