• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just watched a really interesting documentary on the history of making Killer Instinct 2013. It’s cool to see how the fanbase gathered around that game so much despite lack of much of a budget or major marketing. I think it ended up with over 10 million downloads, which is pretty impressive. Granted, it was free to download and came with just one character for free but still. I wonder if it has enough reach to be a legitimate contender for Smash? Fulgore is among my most wanted but I really like the whole roster. The music direction that changed pace depending on what was going on with the match was really cool and the combo system is a ton of fun too. I’m curious how Sakurai would go about implementing a KI character we did get one.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just watched a really interesting documentary on the history of making Killer Instinct 2013. It’s cool to see how the fanbase gathered around that game so much despite lack of much of a budget or major marketing. I think it ended up with over 10 million downloads, which is pretty impressive. Granted, it was free to download and came with just one character for free but still. I wonder if it has enough reach to be a legitimate contender for Smash? Fulgore is among my most wanted but I really like the whole roster. The music direction that changed pace depending on what was going on with the match was really cool and the combo system is a ton of fun too. I’m curious how Sakurai would go about implementing a KI character we did get one.
I’m biased for Killer Instinct because I played the original on the SNES growing up. I can’t claim it’s really that innovative of a series outside of a focus on combos and combo-breakers. And, it’s a Microsoft product now on top of Rare’s, so it’s in with lots of competition.

I do want Fulgore tho he’s badass :251:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m biased for Killer Instinct because I played the original on the SNES growing up. I can’t claim it’s really that innovative of a series outside of a focus on combos and combo-breakers. And, it’s a Microsoft product now on top of Rare’s, so it’s in with lots of competition.

I do want Fulgore tho he’s badass :251:
Yeah, I loved the original on the SNES. It was the only fighting game I could say I was actually good at (at least compared to my small group of friends). I just love the really unique and cool roster for a fighting game. The music in the series is also phenomenal and the announcer really adds a lot to the excitement. Nintendo’s previous connection with RARE doesn’t hurt either.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If I understand correctly Character Support threads are a consequence of increased board activity resulting from the game's announcement, not the other way around. I don't necessarily agree this is the best way to handle it but it explains why the flood gates stay closed, mainly because we just don't have the traffic right now compared to when the game is actually known to be coming.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If I understand correctly Character Support threads are a consequence of increased board activity resulting from the game's announcement, not the other way around. I don't necessarily agree this is the best way to handle it but it explains why the flood gates stay closed, mainly because we just don't have the traffic right now compared to when the game is actually known to be coming.
So basically, people can just use this thread to talk about the characters they support instead of individual support threads, right?

I guess that makes sense but there are also characters I'd never dare talking about in Smashboards outside of a dedicated thread lmao

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I do wish there was a good way to try to build support for our favorite characters while it still has a chance to have an impact but I’m okay with using this thread to talk about my favorites. I just have to be sure to mix it up a bit and avoid talking about a small group of characters over and over. I have plenty of characters I love so that shouldn’t be a huge issue but it’s something I have to try to keep in mind.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So basically, people can just use this thread to talk about the characters they support instead of individual support threads, right?

I guess that makes sense but there are also characters I'd never dare talking about in Smashboards outside of a dedicated thread lmao
Yep, pretty much. Once the game is out then this thread would expand into an entire sub forum with individual character support threads and a general thread. Incidentally who wouldn't you talk about?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yep, pretty much. Once the game is out then this thread would expand into an entire sub forum with individual character support threads and a general thread. Incidentally who wouldn't you talk about?
Visual novel characters mostly, and some mobile game characters - Smash fans can be really weird about them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Visual novel characters mostly, and some mobile game characters - Smash fans can be really weird about them.
Hey, if I can still talk about how much I like Zegram from Rogue Galaxy (a character that realistically has no business in a Smash game beyond my own personal bias), I think anyone can talk about whoever they want lol.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hey, if I can still talk about how much I like Zegram from Rogue Galaxy (a character that realistically has no business in a Smash game beyond my own personal bias), I think anyone can talk about whoever they want lol.
Fair, now let's talk about why Aoko Aozaki from the critically acclaimed VN Witch on the Holy Night should get into Smash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Fair, now let's talk about why Aoko Aozaki from the critically acclaimed VN Witch on the Holy Night should get into Smash.
Sure, what do you envision her playstyle to be? Does she fight in VI Witch? I’m open to pretty much anyone in Smash as long as they’re fun to play.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Yeah support threads can be super fun but the mods are only responding with what makes sense based on the level of demand.

This fanbase unfortunately lives and dies a little too much on the "hype cycle," in my opinion.
Though I guess I understand people don't always like to keep rooting for something continually with no clear end in sight.
At least the smaller group between games makes it easier for individual voices to be heard.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, I loved the original on the SNES. It was the only fighting game I could say I was actually good at (at least compared to my small group of friends). I just love the really unique and cool roster for a fighting game. The music in the series is also phenomenal and the announcer really adds a lot to the excitement. Nintendo’s previous connection with RARE doesn’t hurt either.
But does Japan like Killer Instinct? I seriously never looked into it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sure, what do you envision her playstyle to be? Does she fight in VI Witch? I’m open to pretty much anyone in Smash as long as they’re fun to play.
In her own game, Aoko is a mage and while she doesn't have a great magical energy output, she's extremely fast at firing off spells and specializes in destructive magic, to the point she's nicknamed "Magic Gunner". As she basically uses her own body as a magical barrel, she can fire off a volley of projectiles as well as using her arm as a railgun to fire off one big spell. She's also talented in melee fights and mixes martial arts in her magecraft to strengthen her punches and infamous kicks.

1694536197192.png

Her appearance in the fighting game Melty Blood as an older version of herself sums up her fighting style pretty well, with a lot of lasers and a unique focus on set-play with her magical orbs that act as explosive traps.

1694535231330.png

But really, she's just so much fun as a character and her VN is one of the best around. If Type-Moon ever gets a character in Smash, it should be Saber but I'd love to see Aoko making it in one day.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
But does Japan like Killer Instinct? I seriously never looked into it.
I’m not sure but that didn’t stop Banjo. I imagine it’s not nearly as big in Japan since a lot of Western IP doesn’t really perform as well over there.
In her own game, Aoko is a mage and while she doesn't have a great magical energy output, she's extremely fast at firing off spells and specializes in destructive magic, to the point she's nicknamed "Magic Gunner". As she basically uses her own body as a magical barrel, she can fire off a volley of projectiles as well as using her arm as a railgun to fire off one big spell. She's also talented in melee fights and mixes martial arts in her magecraft to strengthen her punches and infamous kicks.

View attachment 377585

Her appearance in the fighting game Melty Blood as an older version of herself sums up her fighting style pretty well, with a lot of lasers and a unique focus on set-play with her magical orbs that act as explosive traps.

View attachment 377584

But really, she's just so much fun as a character and her VN is one of the best around. If Type-Moon ever gets a character in Smash, it should be Saber but I'd love to see Aoko making it in one day.
She sounds like a fun character and I like her design. The description you gave made me think of Misaka Makoto (Zapper) from A certain Scientific Railgun. I think she was in some type of fighting game as well.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
The description you gave made me think of Misaka Makoto (Zapper) from A certain Scientific Railgun. I think she was in some type of fighting game as well.
You should play Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax. A fighting game by Sega and the Under Night people, which contains characters from light novels.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You should play Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax. A fighting game by Sega and the Under Night people, which contains characters from light novels.
Interesting. Maybe I’ll check it out. My only real knowledge of visual novel characters are if their series also got an anime. I still watch anime from time to time but haven’t read/played a visual novel. Steins Gate is an example of something I hadn’t heard about previously when it was a visual novel but I loved the anime.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I asked this on the page before, but my post got buried, so…

Do they announce Directs on Wednesdays anymore?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I was just curious about something. I’d there a reason character support topics are only open once a new game has been announced? It seems to me that the perfect time for a support thread is the downtime between games. Once the game is revealed, I think the roster has already been decided so support for a character likely has little to no impact at that point. Not that one site would really have a huge impact compared to the larger overall community but it’s just something that’s always kind of confused me.
I’m not 100% speaking from the sites perspective but it’s one of the best ways to funnel traffic. A lot of forums for a long time would have a few users here and there in one or two threads MAYBE with them only popping in now and then. With a more centralized approach we can kind of insure interaction. At least that’s how I’ve always seen it but it’s really not up to me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m not 100% speaking from the sites perspective but it’s one of the best ways to funnel traffic. A lot of forums for a long time would have a few users here and there in one or two threads MAYBE with them only popping in now and then. With a more centralized approach we can kind of insure interaction. At least that’s how I’ve always seen it but it’s really not up to me.
Thanks. That does make sense. I just worry about annoying people here sometimes by bringing up the same characters too often and it would have been cool to have their own section but I get that’s not really feasible when there aren’t too many active users unless there’s a new game to get hyped about.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think some people don't see the "pure" visual novels as videogames, which honestly i agree to an extent, but i'm not going to gatekeep anyone to discuss them.
As for mobile games, i asume is because they're not in a nintendo platform or they see them as "cringe", i can't think for another reason bc a lot of characters from mobile games would be very unique and bring cool stages and music with them!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think some people don't see the "pure" visual novels as videogames, which honestly i agree to an extent, but i'm not going to gatekeep anyone to discuss them.
As for mobile games, i asume is because they're not in a nintendo platform or they see them as "cringe", i can't think for another reason bc a lot of characters from mobile games would be very unique and bring cool stages and music with them!
Seems to be the same with PC characters. To me, a cool character is a cool character and I don’t usually get too hung up on where they originated. I’ll sometimes argue a connection to Nintendo in favor of a character I already wanted since it just strengthens the case and it’s still fun to see characters relevant to Nintendo’s history get some love but I try not to use a characters platform of origin against anyone.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
They do, yeah. Just that most recent Directs have been on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
Thanks for answering. I heard on another topic that a Direct should happen this Thursday still, announced by tomorrow.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I just now read somewhere about a rumor that Nintendo and Google are working together on a virtual reality set, actually it's a VR headset and they say and write that it will be released for the upcoming Nintendo Switch 2. But since it's VR, it means that it will be only for the home and not for the outside world. But that doesn't mean that the Nintendo Switch 2 might not be a handheld console as well, in other words it might be a hybrid console too, meaning it will be like the Nintendo Switch 1 where you can play it and in the usual way as a home console and as a handheld and as VR. But as they wrote there this is just a rumor, nothing has been confirmed yet.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I just now read somewhere about a rumor that Nintendo and Google are working together on a virtual reality set, actually it's a VR headset and they say and write that it will be released for the upcoming Nintendo Switch 2. But since it's VR, it means that it will be only for the home and not for the outside world. But that doesn't mean that the Nintendo Switch 2 might not be a handheld console as well, in other words it might be a hybrid console too, meaning it will be like the Nintendo Switch 1 where you can play it and in the usual way as a home console and as a handheld and as VR. But as they wrote there this is just a rumor, nothing has been confirmed yet.
Ohh yeah? Haha maybe the virtual boy will finally get lived down. I have only ever used the Oculus like years ago and it was... aite. Kinda too heavy and because I wear glasses I couldn't see very well cause you can't wear them with the headset on lol. I keep waiting for the domed approach, where you wear a light weight hat with a "bowl" attached and over your head but deep enough to reach your chin, and that doubles as a soundbar and monitor. We have the flexibility in material but we don't have cooling technology that wouldn't weigh uncomfortable unless it was like a football helmet... ugh.

Ivander

Smash Legend
But that doesn't mean that the Nintendo Switch 2 might not be a handheld console as well, in other words it might be a hybrid console too, meaning it will be like the Nintendo Switch 1 where you can play it and in the usual way as a home console and as a handheld and as VR. But as they wrote there this is just a rumor, nothing has been confirmed yet.
I mean, that part about a Hybrid system doesn't sound much different from the rumors of the Switch getting a special Dock that increases the Switch's capabilities, like graphics, frame rate and whatnot, when connected.

I'll see what happens with the VR. Like true, they have been testing the waters for VR and while there have been some fantastic VR games overall and the next Switch's capabilities could make it work good, I don't think Nintendo would rely on the VR as a main gimmick for the possibility it doesn't work out as well as they hope, especially for their next main system.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
If this rumor is true that Nintendo and Google are collaborating on a VR headset and that it will be released for the upcoming Nintendo Switch 2, although I don't see much hope, then this means that perhaps in the games that will also be in virtual reality, there to play for example the role of Link as if we were indeed Link. This is of course a theory, I am not saying or writing that it will happen for sure.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you guys think it’s too early for major gaming companies to start utilizing AI in their consoles? I’ve seen a bunch of really fascinating videos of AI characters in games that the player can have real conversations with. It can also be really useful in giving the player a lot more freedom in creativity. I know it’s a bit of a controversial issue now and for good reason because it may cost a lot of people jobs, hence the actors and writers strikes going on right now but the potential is exciting if people can figure out how to minimize the negative effects. If they can work that out, it could be a really interesting feature in a new console.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How do you guys feel about Cooking Mama as a playable character? lmao :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Do you think she's possible?
It would certainly be nice to finally get a DS character that isn't a Pokemon... :ultlucario:

Not sure how likely she'd be at this point unless Sakurai decided to extend the whole "surprise character" thing like Wii Fit Trainer to third parties and included her for that...

Last edited:
Top Bottom