• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Allow me to spread the good word of DeMille from Tomato Adventure, a Game developed by AlphaDream before Mario & Luigi.
He’s got a neat design. Kind of reminds me of Joltik from Pokémon. I approve. My ultimate “never gonna happen” character is Zegram from Rogue Galaxy.

Laniv

Smash Champion

Katsuhiro Harada, executive producer of the Tekken series, sheds some light on that scene in Kazuya's reveal trailer.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Sakurai seems to go for "diferent" types of WTF reps each game, he doesn't double dip for the same concept of WTF character, i think shock value is a part of those character inclusions as well.

G&W: 2D Character
R.O.B: Console accesory
Wii Fit Trainer: Hobby character.
Plant: Generic Enemy

The next WTF rep could be for example:
A very obscure japan-only character like Dion from Marvelous.
A NPC side character from a represented Nintendo series that little to no one requests like Sheldon from Splatoon.
I can't think of more right now.
They will reveal a non-protagonist/non-Prinny Disgaea character-er..., I mean, the puzzle pieces from Pieces/Jigsaw Party to represent Nippon Ichi.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
What is everyone here’s favorite character playstyle in Smash? I’ve always really enjoyed the slower, heavy hitters like Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, and Bowser. I’ve mained faster characters like Fox and Pikachu in the past but I can’t seem to get the hang of them these days in the same way I do the powerhouses. Despite really liking the characters, I’ve always kind of struggled playing Lucario, Sheik, Greninja, and Metaknight. I have really been enjoying playing Terry, Kazuya, and Sephiroth as well in Ultimate.

Are there any character styles you feel are underrepresented so far in Smash? Which would you like to see more of and what tweaks would you suggest to help any of these that don’t tend to perform well competitively?
Close combat-style like Little Mac.

Out of all the characters in the series, he's one whose style has stuck with me the most since his first appearance.

So far, there hasn't been any other characters like him. The Mii Brawler is close but I always find myself going back to Little Mac since he was my MW.

I think beat'em up characters would also fit that kind of playstyle and, as of right now, Smash Bros doesn't have any beat'em up characters yet.

As for what needs to be tweaked for him competitively, all I gotta say make his attacks more powerful in the air, including his KO Punch. His air game being weak is already enough. They don't need to literally make his attacks weak in the air too.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Katsuhiro Harada, executive producer of the Tekken series, sheds some light on that scene in Kazuya's reveal trailer.
what about ganondorf's fans?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What is everyone here’s favorite character playstyle in Smash? I’ve always really enjoyed the slower, heavy hitters like Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, and Bowser. I’ve mained faster characters like Fox and Pikachu in the past but I can’t seem to get the hang of them these days in the same way I do the powerhouses. Despite really liking the characters, I’ve always kind of struggled playing Lucario, Sheik, Greninja, and Metaknight. I have really been enjoying playing Terry, Kazuya, and Sephiroth as well in Ultimate.

Are there any character styles you feel are underrepresented so far in Smash? Which would you like to see more of and what tweaks would you suggest to help any of these that don’t tend to perform well competitively?
Diddy has been my steady main, but I can play a whole lot of characters. In general, I like a character that can control space. Wether it's with a sword, projectiles or good range or speed, I like to be able to control the pace. This is essential as Diddy anyway, and for my most steady secondary DK too least you get destroyed up close. This made Mewtwo, Ike, Samus, Link and a slew of other characters fit me well.

Wish I could play both Pikachu and Fox tho. Rushdown doesn't really suit me too much.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
He's right to fear Kirby fans...

What is everyone here’s favorite character playstyle in Smash?
Fast punchers. Mii Brawler, Little Mac, Terry, etc.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Sakurai seems to go for "diferent" types of WTF reps each game, he doesn't double dip for the same concept of WTF character, i think shock value is a part of those character inclusions as well.

G&W: 2D Character
R.O.B: Console accesory
Wii Fit Trainer: Hobby character.
Plant: Generic Enemy

The next WTF rep could be for example:
A very obscure japan-only character like Dion from Marvelous.
A NPC side character from a represented Nintendo series that little to no one requests like Sheldon from Splatoon.
I can't think of more right now.
Wii fit isn't Smash 4 WTF characters, it's Duck hunt according to Sakurai himself. People just see her as WTF because she doesn't come from a game that have fighting, but she wasn't chosen for the surprise factor. According to Sakurai, she was chosen because she was unique and could make the game more fun and because it was particularly easy to come up with a moveset for her (he thought that Yoga poses was a natural fit for a fighting game).

Duck hunt being the Surprise character was even mentionned in Smash 4 project plan slide

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Wii fit isn't Smash 4 WTF characters, it's Duck hunt according to Sakurai himself. People just see her as WTF because she doesn't come from a game that have fighting, but she wasn't chosen for the surprise factor. According to Sakurai, she was chosen because she was unique and could make the game more fun and because it was particularly easy to come up with a moveset for her (he thought that Yoga poses was a natural fit for a fighting game).

Duck hunt being the Surprise character was even mentionned in Smash 4 project plan slide

Oh, i see.
Then i wonder what is the criteria of a surprise character because no one saw WFT joining the roster back then.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's hard to choose a base game character. :ultganondorf:plays rather differently now and I have trouble getting used to him. I still enjoy using :ultkrool: though~

For DLC, :ulthero4:is my alt of choice otherwise. Just... meshes well. But I love RPG's and some RNG, so~
You enjoy using King K. Rool, too? Ah, I see you are a woman of culture.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I tried to make a moveset for Endou from Inazuma Eleven:
It took 9000 hours in word.

• Jab, Blazing Knuckle, Mark punches multiple times in very quick succession, and it will end in a small explosion that will send the enemies horizontally.

[*]Up Tilt: He makes a swipe with his hand upwards.
    [*]Down Tilt: He throws himself to the ground and does a sweep with his feet, moving forward.
    [*]Side Tilt: He gives a tackle with his elbow forward.

[*]Up Smash: God Catch, Endou summons a holographic gold demon with a cape, the demon itself will be the hitbox of the move.
    [*]Side Smash, Majin the Hand, Endou summons a demon on his back and this demon pushes his two hands together forwards.
    [*]Down Smash, Megaton Head, Endou crouches and summons a holographic yellow fist from his head and gives a headbutt with the fist.

[*]Neutral Aerial: Spins.
    [*]Up Air: Similar to his up tilt but in the air.
    [*]Forward Air: Summons the demon and pushes his arms forward.
    [*]Back Air: Punches with his hand.
    [*]Down Air: Uses Megaton Head downwards.

[*]Neutral Special: God Hand, Endou unleashes the God Hand Hissatsu, a holographic golden hand appears in front of Endou, the hand is about the same size as Endou. The hand will deal a bit of damage when it is being pushed forward. Physical moves will be blocked by the hand and it will break after a few hits, while projectiles will instantly end the move.

[*]Side Special, Fist of Justice, Endou unleashes a holographic closed fist in front of him, that will spin a few times and end with a strong hit. This move will reflect any projectile that comes in contact with it.

[*]Up Special, Hammer of Fury, Endou unleashes a glowing holographic demon on his back and jumps in a tilted arc, then when descending the demon will fall with his punch in a horizontal arc, any players that touch the demon’s hand during the descent of the move will be buried (on the ground) or spiked (in the air)
    [*]Down Special, I have no ideas for this one lol.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You guys think trophies will come back?
Honestly?
No.
Unless they go the route of just reusing assets from All original appearance games and series. Otherwise, no way Jose.

However,what I wish to god comes back?

Keep spirit...but give us back the quirky description and entries. I'm fine with my jpeg if I can read lore, dev secrets and jokes.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Honestly?
No.
Unless they go the route of just reusing assets from All original appearance games and series. Otherwise, no way Jose.

However,what I wish to god comes back?

Keep spirit...but give us back the quirky description and entries. I'm fine with my jpeg if I can read lore, dev secrets and jokes.
Weirdly the thing i want to see come back was the little thing at the bottom which tells us exactly WHAT game a character or object comes from instead of just the general series. I miss that for some reason.

Like imagine the Kingdom hearts spirits instead of just saying "Kingdom hearts series" they say the name of the game they debuted in.

Axel (Kingdom hearts Chain of Memories, 2004)
Roxas (Kingdom hearts 2, 2005)
Xion (Kingdom hearts 358 days, 2009)
Terra (Kingdom hearts 2 Final Mix, 2006)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hello Random Restock

Smash Controller
I am irritated how this speculation was enough to give way to a little bit of hope and now I'm far more anxious about the possibility of Smash than I probably should be. Even as I mostly doubt more Smash stuff coming, there is still a part of me that is really hoping.

Doesn't help that Pyoros last tweet asking what will close the direct still has no further clarification, so a part of me is wondering if there is some sort of connection there with the restocks. Perhaps a Direct announcement will be enough for further comments from them.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I'll be honest, new Smash stuff is nice but i still feel it's too early rn for an announcement. Deluxe or otherwise.

Maybe Smash Ultimate Complete Edition with Base and DLC content in one package.

It's getting me the same Splatoon 3-levels of redundancy. The Switch is seemingly on it's way out, why not wait til the new system is out.

Maybe it's just Amiibo but i doubt there would be this much buzz for just that.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest, new Smash stuff is nice but i still feel it's too early rn for an announcement. Deluxe or otherwise.

Maybe Smash Ultimate Complete Edition with Base and DLC content in one package.

It's getting me the same Splatoon 3-levels of redundancy. The Switch is seemingly on it's way out, why not wait til the new system is out.

Maybe it's just Amiibo but i doubt there would be this much buzz for just that.
I personally don't expect Smash 6 to release until 2026 or 2027, so 2025 at the earliest for new smash info imo.
While waiting is boring, for a series like smash waiting gives us more newcomer options as games release every year, so it's not too bad either.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Soooooo, in an unlikely event that Smash gets another Fighters Pass, would the character speculation section re-open again :p
I mean, yes it definitely will have too since that’s the place we see most of our traffic. I will say if that does happen we are woefully underprepared for it since it is as unlikely as it is. It would take time for the boards to get all the speculation side up and going again.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I was just curious about something. I’d there a reason character support topics are only open once a new game has been announced? It seems to me that the perfect time for a support thread is the downtime between games. Once the game is revealed, I think the roster has already been decided so support for a character likely has little to no impact at that point. Not that one site would really have a huge impact compared to the larger overall community but it’s just something that’s always kind of confused me.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, I figure, when they finally announce the Super Switch...they gotta announce some kind of GAME with it, right?

We just got a new Zelda. We're just about to get a new Mario. And everything that was gonna go into a MK9 seems to be getting added to MK8. What are they gonna launch the Super Switch with?

Maybe an Odyssey sequel? Other than that, seems like a new Smash would be the way to get people exited.

I was just curious about something. I’d there a reason character support topics are only open once a new game has been announced? It seems to me that the perfect time for a support thread is the downtime between games. Once the game is revealed, I think the roster has already been decided so support for a character likely has little to no impact at that point.
Seriously. It doesn't make any sense to me that the only time Smash Boards has character request threads open, is after the characters have already been decided on.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
On a side note, I’ve been so invested into Ultimate modding lately that I’d personally prefer just continuing the fighter passes to the game we have than get an entirely new game. The main exception is if that new game had substantial single player or co-op content like Subspace Emissary, Race to the Finish, Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, or an adventure mode. I’m just not looking forward to the time when we have to start from scratch with modding again lol. I’m probably in the small minority here but that’s okay.

Killer Instinct 2013 is actually getting balance patches again (and maybe new content at some point) and that game is a lot older than Smash Ultimate so you never know. Nintendo also restarted DLC for Mario Kart 8 years later so I’m not ruling anything out for Smash.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
On a side note, I’ve been so invested into Ultimate modding lately that I’d personally prefer just continuing the fighter passes to the game we have than get an entirely new game. The main exception is if that new game had substantial single player or co-op content like Subspace Emissary, Race to the Finish, Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, or an adventure mode. I’m just not looking forward to the time when we have to start from scratch with modding again lol. I’m probably in the small minority here but that’s okay.

Killer Instinct 2013 is actually getting balance patches again (and maybe new content at some point) and that game is a lot older than Smash Ultimate so you never know. Nintendo also restarted DLC for Mario Kart 8 years later so I’m not ruling anything out for Smash.
I personally think Smash Bros and Mario Kart are just diferent beasts.
With MK8D DLC they're mostly reusing asets from Tour, also they never said MK8D was finished when it came out in April 2017.
With Smash, a FP3 just doesn't make sense to me. Sakurai said Sora is the last fighter in his presentation i'm sure, just like he said Bayonetta was the last fighter in Smash 4 and we didn't get anything else until Ult.
I believe there is not going to be any new smash content until Smash 6 is announced, maybe the Sora amiibo but that's it.

Also, how do you guys feel about a FF14 rep? I personally think it's unlikely, but since FF14 is one of the most popular MMORPGs....i wonder what other people think,

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I personally think Smash Bros and Mario Kart are just diferent beasts.
With MK8D DLC they're mostly reusing asets from Tour, also they never said MK8D was finished when it came out in April 2017.
With Smash, a FP3 just doesn't make sense to me. Sakurai said Sora is the last fighter in his presentation i'm sure, just like he said Bayonetta was the last fighter in Smash 4 and we didn't get anything else until Ult.
I believe there is not going to be any new smash content until Smash 6 is announced, maybe the Sora amiibo but that's it.

Also, how do you guys feel about a FF14 rep? I personally think it's unlikely, but since FF14 is one of the most popular MMORPGs....i wonder what other people think,
I’m okay with it but I don’t have a lot of experience with the game. I played it for about a week with friends but that’s about it. I used to be a huge Final Fantasy fan during the PS1 and PS2 eras but also played 3, 4, and 6 later and enjoyed them. Starting with PS3, I kind of lost connection to the series after being somewhat disappointed with 13-15. 7 Remake was a lot better than I feared and still had a lot of fun with it.

If we do get a character from an MMO, I’m personally rooting for Illidan Stormrage or another character from World of WarCraft. I’ve never actually played that game but I was a huge WarCraft 3 fan back in high school so I’m familiar with a lot of its characters.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never played FF14 but it's probably going to be Y'shtola and she'd be a fun fighter from what I saw from her in Dissidia.

I think I'd prefer another protag like Lightning but I wouldn't mind 14 content even if it's mostly for the music.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I was just curious about something. I’d there a reason character support topics are only open once a new game has been announced? It seems to me that the perfect time for a support thread is the downtime between games. Once the game is revealed, I think the roster has already been decided so support for a character likely has little to no impact at that point. Not that one site would really have a huge impact compared to the larger overall community but it’s just something that’s always kind of confused me.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Support threads are a good way to raise awareness for the characters and it makes more sense to do that BEFORE the characters are revealed.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About Directs…

Nintendo Directs, to my knowledge, have been announced on Wednesdays before, and happened on the next day on Thursday.

To make sure, does that even happen anymore? Just checking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom