• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some assume that The Witcher and Turok are video game series now, but the truth as it is known is that The Witcher is a novel series and Turok is a comic book series. Probably because in video games these two series were more famous, but it's still what they debuted from.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ive been in such a Battle network kick of late for obvious reasons and i cant stop thinking about how perfect Megaman.EXE would be as a character in smash bros, he'd be perfectly gimmicky enough to annoy people who fight against him.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How about we talk about Assist Trophies? Most assist trophies are main characters of unrepresented franchises or secondary characters from represented franchises, but many fall into a third group. Regular enemies.

As of now, Smash only has 12.

Burrowing Snagret (Pikmin)
Chain Chomp (Super Mario)
Chef Kawasaki (Kirby)
Ghosts (Pac-Man)
Hammer Bro (Super Mario)
Klaptrap (Donkey Kong)
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Lakitu and Spinies (Super Mario)
Metroid (Metroid)
Rathalos (Monster Hunter)
Starman (Earthbound)
Thwomp (Super Mario)

Lakitu and Spinies got cut sadly.

What are some regular enemies you think would make fun assist trophies?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
AT: Durok. His ability would be fun.
In what way? I don't understand what's interesting about an AT that just shields itself.

Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Cactuar, Tonberry or Bomb [Final Fantasy]
Slimes/King Slime [Dragon Quest]
Abobo [Double Dragon]

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
How about we talk about Assist Trophies? Most assist trophies are main characters of unrepresented franchises or secondary characters from represented franchises, but many fall into a third group. Regular enemies.

Chef Kawasaki (Kirby)
Ghosts (Pac-Man)
Hammer Bro (Super Mario)
Klaptrap (Donkey Kong)
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Metroid (Metroid)
Starman (Earthbound)
Thwomp (Super Mario)

Orne. :demon:

That aside, I'd probably put Kawasaki and Rathalos as Boss enemies or at least recurring Boss enemies compared to regular enemies like Hammer Bros, Starman, etc. But some regular enemies I can think of that could be fun Assist Trophies are the Werewolf from Castlevania(who is both a boss monster and a regular enemy in some games), the Reaper or Clubberskull from Kid Icarus, a whole bunch of FF enemies could be fun, like the Malboro, Cactaur, Magic Pot, etc. A Creeper would be pretty straightforward and cause panic in a large multiplayer group.

Last edited:

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Orne. :demon:

That aside, I'd probably put Kawasaki and Rathalos as Boss enemies or at least recurring Boss enemies compared to regular enemies like Hammer Bros, Starman, etc. But some regular enemies I can think of that could be fun Assist Trophies are the Werewolf from Castlevania(who is both a boss monster and a regular enemy in some games), the Reaper or Clubberskull from Kid Icarus, a whole bunch of FF enemies could be fun, like the Malboro, Cactaur, Magic Pot, etc. A Creeper would be pretty straightforward and cause panic in a large multiplayer group.
Rathalos is quite the ideal boss concept when you realize its a better version of what they tried with ridley before, a giant dragon boss representing its series through its boss fight and might

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Chef Kawasaki (Kirby)
Ghosts (Pac-Man)
Hammer Bro (Super Mario)
Klaptrap (Donkey Kong)
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Metroid (Metroid)
Starman (Earthbound)
Thwomp (Super Mario)

Definitely the Red Arremer from Ghosts ‘n Goblins

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Chef Kawasaki (Kirby)
Ghosts (Pac-Man)
Hammer Bro (Super Mario)
Klaptrap (Donkey Kong)
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Metroid (Metroid)
Starman (Earthbound)
Thwomp (Super Mario)

flans from final fantasy casting the iconic spells
Meow wow from kingdom hearts bouncing around like his summon from 3
Redeads and gidbos from Zelda latching onto fighters
Like likes from Zelda breaking through shields
Maws from splatoon attacking from below
Boos from Mario turning invisible launching surprise attacks
Smoglings from chibi-robo charging into people
Dodongo from Zelda rolling around and breathing fire
Chilly from Kirby freezing things

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace

Laniv

Smash Champion

Chef Kawasaki (Kirby)
Ghosts (Pac-Man)
Hammer Bro (Super Mario)
Klaptrap (Donkey Kong)
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Metroid (Metroid)
Starman (Earthbound)
Thwomp (Super Mario)

Polar Bear (Ice Climber): Acts like it did in Smash Run, walking around and occasionally jumping to make a huge earthquake. Can be defeated, and has a special weakness to flame attacks.
Creeper (Minecraft): Walks towards the nearest player and explodes, dealing massive damage and knockback, even to the player that summoned it. Think a slightly more mobile Electrode. Can be defeated, which causes it to detonate instantly. When this happens, whoever dealt the final blow is immune to the explosion.
Slammin' Lid (Splatoon): Spawns Chums, Smallfries and the occasional Cohock. Slams down on players that get too close. Its aircraft acts as a platform, on which players can jump on and attack the pilot.
Metal Slime (Dragon Quest): Runs around the stage, weakly ramming into opponents dodging any attacks that come its way, while also reflecting any projectiles. If it is defeated, whoever did so temporarily "levels up" and gains a substantial power boost for a couple of seconds.

Also, have some minibosses that would make good Assist Trophies.

Boom Boom (Mario): Runs around, wildly swinging his fists. While he's swinging, he is immune to all attacks from the side. Jumping on his head stuns him and leaves him vulnerable. Can be defeated.
Lynel (Legend of Zelda): Based on its Breath of the Wild appearance, this vicious monster attacks with a Lynel Sword and Bow, while also breathing fireballs. Can be defeated... with great difficulty.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually like Territorial Rothbart being this insanely rare but dangerous assist trophy.

It would be hillarious.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Nintendo Switch 2's First Confirmed Game!

Are you sure it's a good idea to post LITERALLY EVERY RUMOR you see about the Switch successor? Especially after the last one got thoroughly debunked?

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Are you sure it's a good idea to post LITERALLY EVERY RUMOR you see about the Switch successor? Especially after the last one got thoroughly debunked?
A rumor and an educated expectation are entirely different. everything is officicial except the name and release date.

Oracle Link

Smash Master

Chef Kawasaki (Kirby)
Ghosts (Pac-Man)
Hammer Bro (Super Mario)
Klaptrap (Donkey Kong)
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Metroid (Metroid)
Starman (Earthbound)
Thwomp (Super Mario)

1st i want a Assist trophy and pokeball toggle so badly! Like you go into the item menu and then you click on those two and then toggle which Pokes and ats you want!

I do think Kirby needs to get a full at reboot but maybe they can keep chef kawaski? he seems popular! but if he gets summoned it plays his theme:

Zelda could get a Octorock Assit Trophy or Item

Metroid could get a space Pirate if MEtroid joins the playbale Chars!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here, I corrected it.
It was really a Rick and Morty reference lol

what's that from?
In Xenoblade Chronicles 1, in Gaur Plain/Bionis’s Leg, an area that you go to around Level 10-15, there is a Unique Monster (aka mini boss) that roams in the starting area that is Level 81. It’s also huge as ****.

Probably the first JRPG jumpscare I ever had, because Territorial Rotbart will immediately engage combat if it sees you. The worst thing that could happen in Xenoblade is you hearing You Will Know Our Names suddenly play and having no clue what just spotted you.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly as much as I miss trophies, the only way I see them coming back is in a very limited capacity. Something like giving the fighters each a trophy and a little play info, similar to what they find in Smash 64. Trophies are a massive amount of localization work not even counting the need to make custom assets sometimes. They had to make over 1000 trophy translations in Smash 4 across both games for instance. That’s a ton of work for an admittedly small part of the game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In Xenoblade Chronicles 1, in Gaur Plain/Bionis’s Leg, an area that you go to around Level 10-15, there is a Unique Monster (aka mini boss) that roams in the starting area that is Level 81. It’s also huge as ****.

Probably the first JRPG jumpscare I ever had, because Territorial Rotbart will immediately engage combat if it sees you. The worst thing that could happen in Xenoblade is you hearing You Will Know Our Names suddenly play and having no clue what just spotted you.
i do not remember this

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Honestly as much as I miss trophies, the only way I see them coming back is in a very limited capacity. Something like giving the fighters each a trophy and a little play info, similar to what they find in Smash 64. Trophies are a massive amount of localization work not even counting the need to make custom assets sometimes. They had to make over 1000 trophy translations in Smash 4 across both games for instance. That’s a ton of work for an admittedly small part of the game.
Well, if a fighting game like Dragon Ball FighterZ has a ton of dialogues, a lot of them hidden, I don't see why a mastodonte like Smash couldn't afford such localization.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I like trophies but I'm okay with spirits replacing them. Besides, seeing artworks taken from games kind of reminds of how the trophies were in Melee where they were based on their games' designs. Young Link's classic mode trophy, for example, was even based on his Ocarina of Time artwork (which would eventually be used for Ultimate).

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What I miss from Super Smash Bros. Brawl and more precisely from Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary, is that item Trophy Stand, which turns enemies into trophies when thrown it at them.
A spirit equivalent is you ripping the soul out of your enemies.

i do not remember this
It’s a Xenoblade staple miniboss dawg he’s in all the numbered titles except in 3 he’s called Territorial Notbart.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I prefer the Spirits to be honest. They actually do stuff and, more importantly, I know the model developers spent their time on more important things instead.

That said, it WOULD be nice if Spirits had text blurbs with them like Trophies did.
Literally all they had to do was give me the flavor text and I think all Smash fans would’ve been perfectly okay with the replacements. They’re honestly hilarious and even say some things that aren’t explicitly described in canon of their universes, like the 1-Up Mushroom saying it births an entirely new Mario doppelgänger, implying the original Mario perished a long long time ago.

Who even writes the flavor text? Is it Sakurai?:174:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A spirit equivalent is you ripping the soul out of your enemies.

It’s a Xenoblade staple miniboss dawg he’s in all the numbered titles except in 3 he’s called Territorial Notbart.
I don’t remember him in any of them

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Well, if a fighting game like Dragon Ball FighterZ has a ton of dialogues, a lot of them hidden, I don't see why a mastodonte like Smash couldn't afford such localization.
Smash isn’t a series that is particularly known for its dialogue and writing. The dialogue and writing in other fighting games is a lot more up front compared to unlockable models with paragraphs. Furthermore, Nintendo is striving for more global releases. Trophies were at least part of why we had to wait weeks or even months in brawl or 4 to get the games out globally.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Trophies when they pass to Smash 4, they became from an informative text about the character/object to a complete joke. Blame NoA's Treehouse for this (but not at the level of Fates). At least NoE's descriptions were less cringe.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That might be why the majority of Smash 4's trophies were just ripped from other games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I feel like the fanbase should really be pushing harder for more character interaction. It's such a basic aspect of most fighting games that is completely absent in Smash, save for the very small amount of characters with one or two specific custom victory quotes (and even then, there's Simon who just truncates "I vanquish the darkness" to just "the darkness..." when facing certain characters).

Like, even NASB had this to an extent in arcade mode, even with the absolutely baffling executive mandate that the game couldn't write new dialogue and had to use existing quotes from the show. Playstation All-Stars had full on memorable, albeit silly, rivalry cutscenes for the arcade mode. And Multiversus had newly recorded custom crossover dialogue for huge portions of the cast, despite being a free to play game.

There's absolutely no reason that Smash, with its behemoth of a budget, shouldn't have this. Obviously if certain third parties wanted to opt out that would be one thing, but there's no real excuse for the first party cast at least. Smash advertises itself as the ultimate crossover, but refuses to budge on this extremely basic aspect of such a crossover...the opening cutscene for World of Light is like the lone example outside of one off codec instances like the Slippy codec in Brawl, the Chrom guidance in 4, and the Alucard guidance in Ultimate.

People love to just write it off with the oft-repeated "Shulk monologues only for the response to be pika pika," but the vast majority of Smash's cast is capable of speech through either spoken dialogue or text boxes. It's a non issue. The only issue is Nintendo cheaping out.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I feel like the fanbase should really be pushing harder for more character interaction. It's such a basic aspect of most fighting games that is completely absent in Smash, save for the very small amount of characters with one or two specific custom victory quotes (and even then, there's Simon who just truncates "I vanquish the darkness" to just "the darkness..." when facing certain characters).

Like, even NASB had this to an extent in arcade mode, even with the absolutely baffling executive mandate that the game couldn't write new dialogue and had to use existing quotes from the show. Playstation All-Stars had full on memorable, albeit silly, rivalry cutscenes for the arcade mode. And Multiversus had newly recorded custom crossover dialogue for huge portions of the cast, despite being a free to play game.

There's absolutely no reason that Smash, with its behemoth of a budget, shouldn't have this. Obviously if certain third parties wanted to opt out that would be one thing, but there's no real excuse for the first party cast at least. Smash advertises itself as the ultimate crossover, but refuses to budge on this extremely basic aspect of such a crossover...the opening cutscene for World of Light is like the lone example outside of one off codec instances like the Slippy codec in Brawl, the Chrom guidance in 4, and the Alucard guidance in Ultimate.

People love to just write it off with the oft-repeated "Shulk monologues only for the response to be pika pika," but the vast majority of Smash's cast is capable of speech through either spoken dialogue or text boxes. It's a non issue. The only issue is Nintendo cheaping out.
Cheaping out, or freaking out? They were never really comfortable with dialogues and stories.

Smash isn’t a series that is particularly known for its dialogue and writing. The dialogue and writing in other fighting games is a lot more up front compared to unlockable models with paragraphs. Furthermore, Nintendo is striving for more global releases. Trophies were at least part of why we had to wait weeks or even months in brawl or 4 to get the games out globally.
Smash is not known for that, indeed, and that can be critized. FighterZ was not known for anything, but it made the choice to have plenty of dialogues and monologues when it could have spared the effort and the expense.

And I don't mind waiting for games, personally, if it's the price to pay for the game being more satisfying.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I completely agree. To me, it never truly felt like the characters in Smash were truly in a big crossover because they are always the same no matter who they are paired up against. Things like the Snake Codecs, Palutena’s Guidance, and Subspace Emissary definitely help make the world feel connected but I think they could be doing a lot more. At the very least, I’d love to see the return of an ambitious story mode like SSE even if we can’t get dialogue in basic match intros and victories. Plus, I think things like the Shulk and Pikachu dialogue can be made to be pretty funny if written well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom