• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why not all three? Beat the boss to unlock the character AND the stage.
Yesssss. Would be especially cool if they made Robin a DLC character with a new reworked moveset. I was for this idea before, but this just sold it to me.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The current SCCC is doing well, and we have some interesting returns. For starters there are multiple characters that have gotten a lower chance score than Fawful. If my memory is correct, as of now there are three sub 2/10 chance scores. That being said, there are multiple characters that are doing phenomenally in want.

If you have not filled it out yet, here it is. Also, I want to just say thanks for all the suggestions for the next poll. Not all of them will obviously be on the poll, but do not be surprised if a good few manage to slip in.

Troykv

Smash Master
The current SCCC is doing well, and we have some interesting returns. For starters there are multiple characters that have gotten a lower chance score than Fawful. If my memory is correct, as of now there are three sub 2/10 chance scores. That being said, there are multiple characters that are doing phenomenally in want.

If you have not filled it out yet, here it is. Also, I want to just say thanks for all the suggestions for the next poll. Not all of them will obviously be on the poll, but do not be surprised if a good few manage to slip in.
Okay, I arrived a bit later than I expected, I had a bit of a weird weekend, so I forgot to check Smashboards.

But my votes had been sent!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I am working on a New 99 % Nintendo BAse Roster With all the Dlc Being Third Parties its a Really big roster but i like it i even struggeled who to add but im pretty happy with the Choices! I just need one more Icon!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
To change the subject a little, what 3rd party Assist Trophies would you have liked to see?
Chocobo [Final Fantasy]
Slimes/King Slime [Dragon Quest]
Proto Man [Mega Man]
Majima [Yakuza]
Rygar [Rygar]
Abobo [Double Dragon]
Vic Viper [Gradius]
Sophia 3rd [Blaster Master]
Bernard [Maniac Mansion]

He knows about Ys! That's one step closer to Estelle!

Edit: Actually, he mentioned Faxanadu, which is even closer, being that that's from the same franchise as Estelle.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I wonder if Sakurai will eventually show a Double Dragon game in one of his videos? I'd like to see that.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

This got me thinking... who do you guys consider "honorary Nintendo characters"? Y'know, characters like Banjo and Bayonetta: not owned by Nintendo, but so heavily associated with them they may as well be.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

This got me thinking... who do you guys consider "honorary Nintendo characters"? Y'know, characters like Banjo and Bayonetta: not owned by Nintendo, but so heavily associated with them they may as well be.
just the ones they used to own

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion

If you mean in the roster, I say Mega Man, Simon, Banjo, Hero (III and IV), and Bayonetta.

For the ones not in the roster, I say Ryu Hayabusa, Billy and Jimmy, Bill and Lance, Travis Touchdown, and Kunio.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Simon, Mega Man, Rygar, Karnov, Bill and Lance, Billy and Jimmy, Ryu Hayabusa and prolly more I'm forgetting

Laniv

Smash Champion

Mega Man, Banjo & Kazooie, Simon Belmont, Professor Layton...

Do we count Wonderful 101 as third party?

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Just those two you mentioned. Banjo-Kazooie used to actually be a Nintendo owned IP prior to 2002, and they've practically adopted Bayonetta.

Bayo was like, literally the only third party character to have themed props at Nintendo's Smash Ultimate booth at E3 2018. That's pretty telling in of itself.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

Didn't the first Rayman was released on the Atari Jaguar first?

Quillion

Smash Hero
So since Xenoblade DLC is launching tomorrow (and causing more trouble on Nintendo's outdated network), I'll say that I hope that Melia becomes the next Xenoblade character over anyone in later games.

She's a much better "wait and see" pick rather than "obligatory new face" that Pokémon and Fire Emblem get.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So since Xenoblade DLC is launching tomorrow (and causing more trouble on Nintendo's outdated network), I'll say that I hope that Melia becomes the next Xenoblade character over anyone in later games.

She's a much better "wait and see" pick rather than "obligatory new face" that Pokémon and Fire Emblem get.
yeah but she’s never been the same since she came back from her travels with the doctor. maybe it was her boyfriend getting turned into a cyberman or being killed by a raven

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I’m gonna ignore the fact Rayman debuted on the Atari Jaguar for a second there.

Even if I think the moniker of honorary Nintendo character means pretty little in the grand scheme of things, characters like Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright come to mind for that. Id also say Neku, if only due to how much I associate TWEWY with Nintendo consoles.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Also bumping the Smash Community Character Corral Part 2 if yall have not posted in it yet. We are close to eclipsing Part 1 in less than half the time Part 1 was active for responses.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honorary Nintendo character is in some way a matter of degree, even with third parties. Mega Man has had many of its franchises titles release on multiple consoles, but that early fame with Nintendo circa 87-95 lingers within gaming culture a lot (especially given Mega Man appearing in Captain N). Castlevania is both associated with Nintendo given its origins, yet still has never had one of its (most?) famous games in Symphony of Night ever appear on any of the company's consoles.

I'd actually say that Bomberman is the conversation to a degree as well. Beyond getting an official crossover game with the likes Wario in 1994 when that was far less common with characters from the Big N, I think it could be argued that a top 10 list of games from the franchise Nintendo exclusive ones would make up a large majority of it (even if Saturn Bomberman might still be No 1). The most successful Bomberman spin-off series being the N64 trilogy also lends some credence to the character having some special status.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i was thinking about :ultrosalina: playstyle and what character could perfectly match her
its hard to think of due to how Luma works but apparently there is a character that would perfectly match her in terms of playstyle
that is Ufo-co from Space Invaders Extreme 2

not only that but the similarities between her and :ultrosalina: match in terms of that they are both space girls and Ufo-co can use space invaders while :ultrosalina: use lumas which they are both creatures that floats and capable of fighting
i dont think anyone has ever came up with this

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
yeah but she’s never been the same since she came back from her travels with the doctor. maybe it was her boyfriend getting turned into a cyberman or being killed by a raven
To be fair, Melia's voice got a lot deeper in Future Connected, so you're right in a way.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Honestly I’d rather they just do a XC3 protagonist. It’s honestly a masterpiece of a game (best in the series imo) and I think you could easily do a sick moveset with Noah and/or Mio. I think XC3 has at least now stretched its legs and flexed it’s muscles enough to show it wouldn’t be getting into smash just as a shill pick.

Though if my gut is right, I think the newest new game in the Xenoblade series by the next smash will be Xenoblade 3.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly I’d rather they just do a XC3 protagonist. It’s honestly a masterpiece of a game (best in the series imo) and I think you could easily do a sick moveset with Noah and/or Mio. I think XC3 has at least now stretched its legs and flexed it’s muscles enough to show it wouldn’t be getting into smash just as a shill pick.

Though if my gut is right, I think the newest new game in the Xenoblade series by the next smash will be Xenoblade 3.
Noah has cool moves, but I think the time of incrementally giving the franchises that "switch out main characters" new face after new face should come to an end. They should all take the "wait and see" approach that Mario is handled with.

"Shill picks" weren't an inherently, unilaterally bad idea, but the idea has run its course.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Noah has cool moves, but I think the time of incrementally giving the franchises that "switch out main characters" new face after new face should come to an end. They should all take the "wait and see" approach that Mario is handled with.

"Shill picks" weren't an inherently, unilaterally bad idea, but the idea has run its course.
I mean, you are free to think that. But there is literally no evidence to suggest that for series like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, or Xenoblade with rotating casts that will ever not be the case. Ultimate if anything reinforces the idea even moreso. We got characters like Incineroar, Aegis, and Byleth instead of taking the "wait and see" approach. I think this method honestly makes more sense. Choosing something from the most recent game makes far more sense for these series because choosing an older rep will most likely not represent what the series is doing now. Something like Lyn would be cool, but she likely would not be making it in without another Fire Emblem character to represent the new hotness. Smash in general has always slanted new when it comes to representation, even in the Melee days. Even for series like Mario which do take the "wait and see" approach, you can argue that when they get new characters like Rosalina or Bowser Jr they tend to trend on relevancy.

You are free to think that the idea has run its course. Personally, I doubt the idea will ever run its course. So long as there are new Nintendo games to represent and new movesets to incorporate into smash, the sky's the limit. Do a summoner based moveset with Alear. Reference the different classes in a moveset for Noah/Mio. Choose a new pokemon and give it a good moveset, it isn't that hard. For franchises with a rotating cast, relevancy and promotional value are king. They were king broadly, but for these its even more true. It's fine to want them to stray away from that, but the ball is overwhelmingly in the camp of "shill picks" staying on top.

Top Bottom