• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
really? I thought they’d at least still be doing something with tamagotchi
I've visited Bandai Namco convention and culture festival (BN participated here as well) around where I live. I've never seen any sign of Tamagotchi in either event, but I've seen plenty of Digimon. Just quick google news search gave me recent news about release of Yoda Tamagotchi, but I don't think it quite got big headline.

Stratos

Smash Ace
From Tamagotchi I don't know who they would put because I have never dealt with it, but from Digimon I am sure they would put Agumon because as far as I know it is the mascot of the series.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Inspired by Perkilator Perkilator and Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura , i'm going to make the ultimate Smash tracklist for songs from other media based on pre-existing video game franchises that are represented in Smash, (no fan-songs btw).
1. The Plumber Rap/Do The Mario - The Super Mario Bros. Super Show
2. Gonna Stomp My Name on the Walk of Fame - The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Cheatsy's Life - Super Mario World (DiC)
4. Almost Unreal - Super Mario Bros. (Hollywood Pictures)
5. Dr. Robotnik's Leitmotif - The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
6. He's the Fastest Thing Alive - Sonic the Hedgehog (ABC)
7. Fun in the Sun - Sonic Underground
8. Gotta Go Fast!! (U.S. Opening)- Sonic X
9. Eddie, Let Me Go Back to My Home! - Donkey Kong Country (Nelvana) [NOTE: This is for Wario×3.]
10. Kirby ★ March (JPN Opening) - Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
11. Gotta Catch 'Em All! (U.S. Opening) - Pokémon the Series
12. The meaning of life - F-ZERO: GP Legend
13. Mega Man (Super Fighting Robot!) (German Opening) - Mega Man (Ruby Spears)
14. PAC-MAN (French Opening) - PAC-MAN (Hanna-Barbera)
15. Night, I Stand (English Version) - Bayonetta: Bloody Fate
Yeah, really poor selection right?
Anyone likes/dislikes it?

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
I can't stop thinking about the CTR Trophy Girls getting into Smash. Just the idea of Sakurai throwing the biggest curveball and putting in these bandicoot ladies and circus athletes over the wumpa fruit eater...

JESUS CHRIST SOMEBODY TAKE MY SWITCH AWAY

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
1664188623610.png

What would be your thoughts if these were the only veterans that returned to Smash 6 with most of them coming with reworks and updates?

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Yeah I feel like maybe if you added back in :ultmewtwo::ultkrool::ultpokemontrainer::ultike::ultbanjokazooie::ultbylethf::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultrosalina::ultsheik:. That roster just feels like your cutting characters for the sake of cutting and I just don’t think the they would cut these unless rights issues.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 361387

What would be your thoughts if these were the only veterans that returned to Smash 6 with most of them coming with reworks and updates?
It's...close to what I believe the bare minimum would be. There are still, however, about eight or nine other veterans that I think would still stay in a bare minimum roster that aren't here, but I agree with and appreciate the apparent goal of retaining at least one character from each first party franchise.

The ones who I definitely think would still be on a bare minimum roster that aren't here are as follows:

:ultrosalina::ultkrool::ultmetaknight::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::ultike::ultbyleth::ultpalutena::ultmegaman:

The only other thing I'd say is that I definitely don't see Wolf staying over Falco. If Star Fox drops to two characters, it would absolutely be Falco who stays imo.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
In somewhat interesting news:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
In somewhat interesting news:
Wait 'till Nintendo reveals Fighter Pass Vol. 3 with Goku, Shrek, Zoidberg from Futurama, Walter White, 100 billion lions in one slot, Patrick Star and a O.P. Sonic fan character from Deviantart.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's...close to what I believe the bare minimum would be. There are still, however, about eight or nine other veterans that I think would still stay in a bare minimum roster that aren't here, but I agree with and appreciate the apparent goal of retaining at least one character from each first party franchise.

The ones who I definitely think would still be on a bare minimum roster that aren't here are as follows:

:ultrosalina::ultkrool::ultmetaknight::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::ultike::ultbyleth::ultpalutena::ultmegaman:

The only other thing I'd say is that I definitely don't see Wolf staying over Falco. If Star Fox drops to two characters, it would absolutely be Falco who stays imo.
Do you mind if I ask why you think that Palutena and Rosalina are absolute "must haves?" I can kinda see the argument for Rosalina, but she hasn't been particularly active since 3D World - if I had to declare a fifth Mario must have have, it would be Bowser Jr. As for Palutena, I don't see it at all. Kid Icarus simply isn't big enough to justify two characters in a major roster reduction. If we get a fourth Kid Icarus, or even a remake of Uprising, I would say she would be back in the discussion but we're not there yet.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do you mind if I ask why you think that Palutena and Rosalina are absolute "must haves?" I can kinda see the argument for Rosalina, but she hasn't been particularly active since 3D World - if I had to declare a fifth Mario must have have, it would be Bowser Jr. As for Palutena, I don't see it at all. Kid Icarus simply isn't big enough to justify two characters in a major roster reduction. If we get a fourth Kid Icarus, or even a remake of Uprising, I would say she would be back in the discussion but we're not there yet.
I mean, Star Fox is equally dead, too, yet pretty much all fan rosters keep giving it two or three characters. :drshrug:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well why you cut the likes of most of the gen 1 Pokemon who are given a free ride, megaman one of the most popular 3rd party characters ever, byleth the main character from the most successful FE, meta knight one of sakurais babies, k.rool one of the most popular 1st party picks and jr a major character in the most major series?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
An earlier post sums it up perfectly:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, Rosalina & Luma over Bowser Jr. is an easy one. Not only is she more popular (by a longshot, even...people forget there was a time when Bowser Jr. was immensely disliked by the Mario fandom), but she has also always been a higher priority in Smash. Sakurai has been on record saying that Bowser Jr. almost didn't make the cut in Smash 4 due to time constraints, with the team just barely finishing him in time for the game to go gold. Add in the fact that Rosalina has a one of a kind playstyle as far as Smash is concerned, that being the token Puppeteer character, and I have always felt that she'll remain a mainstay as the de facto pick for a fifth Mario character.

And for Palutena...let's not go saying Kid Icarus doesn't "deserve" to keep two characters lol. If that were the case, you'd be hard pressed to justify a second Star Fox character, or ANY characters for F-Zero at all. Palutena is an incredibly popular character both casually and competitively, was a big fan request back in Smash 4, and is literally the namesake of her franchise in Japan.

Also let's be real. Licensing issues with third parties and resource issues for echo fighters aside, Smash's roster has enough diversity issues as it is. Cutting the likes of Rosalina & Luma and Palutena, two popular, unique, and first party-owned female characters, just makes that problem even worse.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I guess if there is anything Star Fox has over Kid Icarus at this point, is it has technically gotten stuff more recently than the latter: Star Fox Zero and Guard in 2016, the official release of Star Fox 2 in 2017, and the characters making a notable crossover in Starlink in 2018/2019. It even surprisingly has a segment dedicated to it on Nintendo's Amazon merch store.

Miyamoto even said this even after Zero's flop at the end of 2016.

Yeah, I always wanted Fox McCloud to be a bit more popular than he is. [Crowd: “awww…”] But I think one more would be Pikmin. So I think these two, I’ll need to put some more energy into.
Funny enough. Pikmin's seen a bit more energy put into it, with Pikmin 3 being ported to Switch (and becoming the best selling game in the series), Pikmin Bloom on mobile, and Pikmin 4 coming out next year. Meanwhile Starlink's the most major thing Star Fox has seen since Zero, not counting the official ROM dump of SF2.

Nonetheless it's still a little better than Kid Icarus, whose last game was all the way back in 2012 and hasn't really had anything outside of just appearances in Smash Bros., and also has virtually no one fighting to make a new game for it at this point.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
well why you cut the likes of most of the gen 1 Pokemon who are given a free ride, megaman one of the most popular 3rd party characters ever, byleth the main character from the most successful FE, meta knight one of sakurais babies, k.rool one of the most popular 1st party picks and jr a major character in the most major series?
Well i didn't make it but yeah i agree. Byleth, despite my gripes, is more original and recent enough to stay on, Kirby is already lacking representation so cutting even further is a terrible decision and Megaman is hella alot easier to negotiate for than Cloud Strife, the dude who only had 2 non-remix songs available and rest had to be paid for.

Honestly i think between Jr and Rosalina is a toss-up but i lean to Jr more than Rosalina a bit due to the former having more history overall and Rosalina's absence could be replaced with a new mario female newcomer like Pauline who getting lot more spotlight recently, no different from Rosa in the Wii/U eras.

Also no way Charizard is getting cut.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I guess if there is anything Star Fox has over Kid Icarus at this point, is it has technically gotten stuff more recently than the latter: Star Fox Zero and Guard in 2016, the official release of Star Fox 2 in 2017, and the characters making a notable crossover in Starlink in 2018/2019. It even surprisingly has a segment dedicated to it on Nintendo's Amazon merch store.

Miyamoto even said this even after Zero's flop at the end of 2016.

Funny enough. Pikmin's seen a bit more energy put into it, with Pikmin 3 being ported to Switch (and becoming the best selling game in the series), Pikmin Bloom on mobile, and Pikmin 4 coming out next year. Meanwhile Starlink's the most major thing Star Fox has seen since Zero, not counting the official ROM dump of SF2.

Nonetheless it's still a little better than Kid Icarus, whose last game was all the way back in 2012 and hasn't really had anything outside of just appearances in Smash Bros., and also has virtually no one fighting to make a new game for it at this point.
Plus, I know some people are hoping for a Star Fox Zero Switch port. Granted, it's not TOO many people, but... you never know.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Star Fox is a way bigger series than Kid Icarus overall. SF would definitely get a second rep before KI, especially if that second rep is a clone. SF has more games and more total sales. SF is also more historically important, with the SNES edition's contributions to 3D graphics in gaming and the 64 edition's landmark status. Not to belittle KI too much since it has its own merit, but its "cult classic" status is confined to a smaller audience than the likes of SF64 and its innovative qualities arguably do not reach the heights of the Super FX chip.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
While we're on the topic of characters...

This is the results of the poll for the base roster of Ultimate, AKA without DLC.

Full dataset here. Data was measured by number of people who listed a character as their favorite, minus those who listed it as their least favorite. If you want a bit more info, they also list a basic outline of why people liked/disliked a character on that link.

If you just want the results, however, I'll break it down like they did in their video.

1. K. Rool
  2. Ridley
  3. Pokemon Trainer
  4. Snake
  5. Inkling
  6. Simon Belmont
  7. Wolf
  8. Bowser
  9. Roy
  10. Dedede
  11. Cloud
  12. Mega Man
  13. Ike
  14. Shulk
  15. Zelda
  16. Game & Watch
  17. Greninja
  18. Mewtwo
  19. Pac-Man
  20. Yoshi
  21. Kirby
  22. Lucas
  23. Falco
  24. Ryu
  25. Captan Falcon
  26. Fox
  27. Mii Brawler
  28. Robin
  29. Palutena
  30. Wii Fit Trainer

74 - Incineroar
73 - Sonic
72 - Isabelle
71 - Corrin
70 - Daisy

1. Villager (38th Place)
  2. Diddy Kong (41st Tie)
  3. Mii Swordfigher (41st Tie)
  4. Luigi (54th Place)

Other interesting notes:

Despite over 50% of people rating the roster at least a 9 out of 10, 28th and lower placing characters were disliked more than liked.

Only 6 characters have a net positive score more than 1%.

All characters had at least one person say they disliked them. The lowest dislikes were at 0.1%, shared between Ike and Falco.

0.1% of respondents said Alph was their least favorite character, saying he should be an echo fighter and not a clone.

0.15% of respondents said "All of them" were their favorite, and the same amount said they were there least favorite.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
View attachment 361387

View attachment 361387

+ :ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::ultfalco::ultbyleth::ultmetaknight::ultmegaman::ultlucina::ultike::ultkrool:

Falco instead of Wolf
Possibly Ike over Robin, he's not leaving, neither is Lucina as she's the most popular of Echoes that's worth a damn
Also I don't understand why Mii or Ice Climbers should be there over these characters

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

This is the results of the poll for the base roster of Ultimate, AKA without DLC.

Full dataset here. Data was measured by number of people who listed a character as their favorite, minus those who listed it as their least favorite. If you want a bit more info, they also list a basic outline of why people liked/disliked a character on that link.

If you just want the results, however, I'll break it down like they did in their video.

1. K. Rool
  2. Ridley
  3. Pokemon Trainer
  4. Snake
  5. Inkling
  6. Simon Belmont
  7. Wolf
  8. Bowser
  9. Roy
  10. Dedede
  11. Cloud
  12. Mega Man
  13. Ike
  14. Shulk
  15. Zelda
  16. Game & Watch
  17. Greninja
  18. Mewtwo
  19. Pac-Man
  20. Yoshi
  21. Kirby
  22. Lucas
  23. Falco
  24. Ryu
  25. Captan Falcon
  26. Fox
  27. Mii Brawler
  28. Robin
  29. Palutena
  30. Wii Fit Trainer

74 - Incineroar
73 - Sonic
72 - Isabelle
71 - Corrin
70 - Daisy

1. Villager (38th Place)
  2. Diddy Kong (41st Tie)
  4. Luigi (54th Place)

Other interesting notes:

Despite over 50% of people rating the roster at least a 9 out of 10, 28th and lower placing characters were disliked more than liked.

All characters had at least one person say they disliked them. The lowest dislikes were at 0.1%, shared between Ike and Falco.

0.1% of respondents said Alph was their least favorite character, saying he should be an echo fighter and not a clone.

0.15% of respondents said "All of them" were their favorite, and the same amount said they were there least favorite.
boy online polls are skewed worse than i thought

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Also, it seems to me that Nintendo values Rosalina more than Jr., though I personally value Jr. more. But if we're talking about a roster reduction on the scale of only keeping ~40-45 vets, especially one that prioritizes keeping at least one rep for each 1P series when feasible, then both could be on the bubble.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

1. K. Rool
  2. Ridley
  3. Pokemon Trainer
  4. Snake
  5. Inkling
  6. Simon Belmont
  7. Wolf
  8. Bowser
  9. Roy
  10. Dedede
  11. Cloud
  12. Mega Man
  13. Ike
  14. Shulk
  15. Zelda
  16. Game & Watch
  17. Greninja
  18. Mewtwo
  19. Pac-Man
  20. Yoshi
  21. Kirby
  22. Lucas
  23. Falco
  24. Ryu
  25. Captan Falcon
  26. Fox
  27. Mii Brawler
  28. Robin
  29. Palutena
  30. Wii Fit Trainer

74 - Incineroar
73 - Sonic
72 - Isabelle
71 - Corrin
70 - Daisy

1. Villager (38th Place)
  2. Diddy Kong (41st Tie)
  4. Luigi (54th Place)

Other interesting notes:

The results are honestly pretty much in line with what I'd expect out of who voted in this poll. There's a very high skewer towards characters that were popular requests within the community like K. Rool, Ridley, and Simon, with characters that performed poorly like Incineroar, Isabelle, and Corrin generally being those that were expected, but not liked. There are a few surprises such as Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Brawler making Top 30 despite fitting more in the latter group, but ultimately it still tracks.

Some random things I noticed as well:
-Echo Fighters as an addition were stated to be very popular, but many of the Echo Fighters performed poorly as actual characters, with Dark Samus, Chrom, and Daisy in particular all being bottom 10 and the best performing one was Richter at 43rd. It probably comes down to while the addition of the concept is liked, not as many would put them as a favorite character so the people who disliked them were more likely to be noted.
-Despite being the most liked character, King K. Rool was not the one with the lowest dislike score. That actually goes to Falco with 0.10%, tied with Alph if you count him.
-Characters that were dominant in a meta of Smash like Bayonetta and Meta Knight typically got the 'weaker than in previous entry' complaint, the only ones that didn't were Fox and Falco. Again, it probably comes down to who's commenting for likes and dislikes, but it is still funny to see considering how that infamy affected those character's reception during those periods.
-Despite both being top ten, both Ridley and Simon had higher then 1% dislike scores, both tying at 1.34%. Both of their scores are also owed to the same thing: their movesets.
-Speaking of movesets, five of the original twelve had complaints about their movesets being outdated/archaic: Mario, DK, Samus, Kirby, and Captain Falcon. The rest didn't get this complaint, though ironically Link did get complaints in the opposite direction for the changes made with him.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The results are honestly pretty much in line with what I'd expect out of who voted in this poll. There's a very high skewer towards characters that were popular requests within the community like K. Rool, Ridley, and Simon, with characters that performed poorly like Incineroar, Isabelle, and Corrin generally being those that were expected, but not liked. There are a few surprises such as Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Brawler making Top 30 despite fitting more in the latter group, but ultimately it still tracks.
hang on people don't like characters cause they're expected?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
hang on people don't like characters cause they're expected?
Depends on the character, but sometimes those that are expected can be considered 'boring' because they're additions that are obvious and wouldn't be exciting to see. Generally though it's more used for characters that are not liked for other reasons.

If I'm to be honest though, I should've rewritten that and said that those characters weren't 'hype' according to the fanbase. That would've covered those examples better as they weren't all 'boring' because they were expected, they were 'boring' or disliked because they weren't considered exciting based on the typical mold.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Depends on the character, but sometimes those that are expected can be considered 'boring' because they're additions that are obvious and wouldn't be exciting to see. Generally though it's more used for characters that are not liked for other reasons.

If I'm to be honest though, I should've rewritten that and said that those characters weren't 'hype' according to the fanbase. That would've covered those examples better as they weren't all 'boring' because they were expected, they were 'boring' or disliked because they weren't considered exciting based on the typical mold.
hating characters cause they aren’t “hype” is always been a baffling notion to me. it says something that a very popular character from a very popular series like Isabelle can be considered bad cause she’s obvious

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
hating characters cause they aren’t “hype” is always been a baffling notion to me. it says something that a very popular character from a very popular series like Isabelle can be considered bad cause she’s obvious
The results show that the primary reason Isabelle wasn't liked was that she's fairly redundant. Most players feel like she doesn't do enough to separate her from Villager, while also not being an echo fighter meaning she took more or less the same development time and effort as a typical fighter. The result? A character who hit the perfect middle ground between too much and too little effort to make people dislike those who weren't fans of her before.

Top Bottom