• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I think people are really underselling how popular and well liked BWD is within the Kirby fanbase. He isn't simply tolerated. He's beloved. He is one of the most popular characters in the fanbase.

This is "Smash armchair speculator" behavior. We had people arguing that Pokemon fans didn't like Lucario before he was included in Smash 4. Anyone in the Pokemon community knows this is an insane claim. We had people arguing Chrom, Byleth and Roy aren't really popular in the Fire Emblem fanbase, when all of those characters are literal popularity contest winners.

Unfamiliarity with the franchise's fanbase leads Smash speculators to make sweeping assumptions about character popularity and how its formed.

People don't tend to like things just because they're put in new games. If you honestly haven't a clue why something is popular, actually look into the fanbase and ask why something is popular.

Kirby fans have repeatedly said they like BWD because he's adorable, he has an underdog element, he has unique role in a genuine friend and partner for Kirby, etc. That information is out there.
But don't you see? If we were in a parallel universe where he made a single, non-playable appearance, nobody would care about him over other characters, so he's clearly a bad pick. /s

I'm not going to argue that BWD should excite everyone or that there aren't more immediately visually-interesting characters out there but I maintain that the resistance to him is probably, primarily, from people who play Kirby games alone because he's been a part of the standard multiplayer entourage for a long time now.

Personally I'm still waiting for them to add MY SON to Smash.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Ultimately, I understand full well that Bandana Dee is the most likely, if not locked-in, character for the next Smash game out of Kirby's franchise. With good reason, he's now one of the most central characters of the franchise overall, and is incredibly popular in a cast already filled with popular characters.

The reason I'M not such a big fan of him is mostly cause, largely thanks to Star Allies, there are characters in Kirby's franchise I think have stronger potential, are more unique, and would be incredibly fun to play as. Susie and Fecto Elfilis being the main examples. Kirby's cast is incredibly unique, and while Bandana Dee is the frontrunner, other Kirby characters would just bring more enjoyable stuff to me.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I stand by everything I said, because there is fifteen years proof of BWD being a background character and no one giving a **** about him. No one said, "sure hope that guy gets a bigger role". It's not a hypothetical to say that he got his popularity from his importance, that's exactly what happened.

And I believe any character in that position would benefit thusly, being given the role as the obvious fourth character of the series. If BWD had only appeared in his role in Return to Dream Land, and after that, a different character has assumed the role of the recurring fourth, that would be the character devouring Kirby popularity. Regardless of their personality.

Looking just in the Kirby fanbase for reception is like looking just in the SMRPG fanbase for Geno reception. It's like asking FE fans whether they're bothered about the FE quantity. This is about Smash, I'm looking at the Smash fanbase, where some of it overlaps with the Kirby fanbase, and some of it doesn't. And his reception in the Smash fanbase, from my vantage, has been mixed. Some people like him, some don't really get it. It doesn't mean he's not still popular.

Playing the Kirby games only strengthens my opinion that he's established himself as a popular character, but anyone in his position would've as well. And without that position, people would do what they did before him, flit from current character to current character with little lasting impact, like they did in the interim between Brawl and RtDL, from Daroach to Prince Fluff, before the series stuck with BWD. But were one of those the ones to stick around instead, BWD support would be tiny. Especially if it was one who has proven to have retroactive support even with very limited appearances like Marx or Gooey or Magolor.

I stand by my inverse Geno comparison.

Kirby fans have repeatedly said they like BWD because he's adorable, he has an underdog element, he has unique role in a genuine friend and partner for Kirby, etc. That information is out there.
His role in Return to Dream Land, when he first got popular, predates all of these characteristics, other than adorability. Which isn't exactly uncommon in the Kirby series. Maybe these help but they certainly weren't the catalyst.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hey, guys. I'm actually quite curious now... In the event that B.W.D. DOES somehow end up becoming Smash's answer to MvC2's Servbot (where other species of Waddle Dees would make up a portion of B.W.D.'s moveset, assisting him with attacks and whatnot), do you all think that works for him, or would it come off as a 'disservice' to the little guy?
I don't think it fits him at all. He can fight well enough on his own and I don't recall him calling other Waddle Dees being a big part of his skillset. It feels a bit forced, like most other summon moveset ideas if I'm being honest.

Plus, it's likely not mechanically feasible. In 8-player Smash, not even taunts can summon other characters, so a bunch of Waddle Dees going in and out into gameplay may be too much, unless they're like Pikmin: low polygon count and act identically. Which doesn't sound like a good fit to me.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Define spectacular.

Cause I think Bandana Waddle Dee is the best Kirby character made in ages.

Your argument is entirely subjective. You gotta support things like this with more than opinions.
A spectacular character (in this context at least) has an interesting/unique design, appealing abilities, and prominent focus in their franchise of origin.

I still think Kirby fans are just latching onto BWD because they've given up hope on Gooey or Adeleine being the fourth wheel instead.

dream1ng dream1ng : It's pretty telling that no one wants Goombario or Goombella to become a recurring character. At best they want a NEW friendly Goomba in every new Paper Mario.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I still think Kirby fans are just latching onto BWD because they've given up hope on Gooey or Adeleine being the fourth wheel instead.

dream1ng dream1ng : It's pretty telling that no one wants Goombario or Goombella to become a recurring character. At best they want a NEW friendly Goomba in every new Paper Mario.
I'm just going to say this much: People don't support characters just to fill slots. Characters that are seen exclusively in that mindset do not tend to have strong fanbases and often falter over the years. A good example of that is Sylux, a character who was in a perfect person to be the 'new Metroid rep' after Ridley got a majorly dismissive statement from Sakurai during the Smash 4 DLC era, yet his demand never reached the levels of Ridley or even Dark Samus at their peaks. Why was that? He should've garnered a huge fanbase since wanting a new Metroid rep was a big thing for Smash fans, but it didn't happen. The reason is because the character wasn't what the fans wanted, they wanted the Space Pirate Dragon, they wanted the creepy possessed Metroid Prime. Sylux didn't scratch the itch of the fanbase and his position to fill the slot for a new Metroid rep didn't materialize the strong fanbase akin to those characters as a result.

So with that in mind, I don't think Bandana Waddle Dee has the fanbase he has because 'we can't get Gooey or Adeleine, so he's the next best thing'. If it was just that, his demand would be a lot more tenuous and/or more likely to falter over the years as new characters and games are introduced, yet Bandana Waddle Dee's fanbase remains steady throughout it all. That is not what happens to a supposed slot filler, that's what happens to a character people like and want to see. He's not a replacement for Gooey or Adeleine, he's a character with his own popularity and the demand to show for it.

And note, I don't have any investment in Bandana Waddle Dee, I just find the idea of 'he's just there because Gooey and Adeleine have no chance' to be very dismissive at best, outright ignoring the wants of the fanbase at worst.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Arcanir Arcanir : I'm not saying people have given up on Gooey or Adeleine being in Smash; I'm saying people have given up on Gooey or Adeleine being the fourth wheel within the Kirby series.

I'll reiterate dream1ng dream1ng again: WHO thought making Bandana Dee a main character was a good idea over more unique candidates?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sakurai’s done with the daily screenshots he’s been posting on Twitter.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to say this much: People don't support characters just to fill slots. Characters that are seen exclusively in that mindset do not tend to have strong fanbases and often falter over the years. A good example of that is Sylux, a character who was in a perfect person to be the 'new Metroid rep' after Ridley got a majorly dismissive statement from Sakurai during the Smash 4 DLC era, yet his demand never reached the levels of Ridley or even Dark Samus at their peaks. Why was that? He should've garnered a huge fanbase since wanting a new Metroid rep was a big thing for Smash fans, but it didn't happen. The reason is because the character wasn't what the fans wanted, they wanted the Space Pirate Dragon, they wanted the creepy possessed Metroid Prime. Sylux didn't scratch the itch of the fanbase and his position to fill the slot for a new Metroid rep didn't materialize the strong fanbase akin to those characters as a result.

So with that in mind, I don't think Bandana Waddle Dee has the fanbase he has because 'we can't get Gooey or Adeleine, so he's the next best thing'. If it was just that, his demand would be a lot more tenuous and/or more likely to falter over the years as new characters and games are introduced, yet Bandana Waddle Dee's fanbase remains steady throughout it all. That is not what happens to a supposed slot filler, that's what happens to a character people like and want to see. He's not a replacement for Gooey or Adeleine, he's a character with his own popularity and the demand to show for it.

And note, I don't have any investment in Bandana Waddle Dee, I just find the idea of 'he's just there because Gooey and Adeleine have no chance' to be very dismissive at best, outright ignoring the wants of the fanbase at worst.
I'm inclined to disagree, especially in the case of Adeleine and Gooey, where Bandana Dee has taken roles very similar to theirs in the 3DS titles and Forgotten Land, respectively. Both of which may have been better received using the other characters.

Also, Bandana Dee often gets pushed as the only option for Kirby, even when used as an argument AGAINST him. You're right that there's not as much discourse for anyone who isn't him, but that's because it keeps getting shut down by the audacity of the Waddle Dee with a Bandana. Which can be taken both negatively and positively. I'm not saying that Bandana Dee doesn't have ground of his own, but understand that he absolutely is taking a lot of the variety Kirby candidates have hostage.

Last edited:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Since we're on the subject of Kirby, gonna throw out a Classic Mode thingy for one of my most wanted Kirby reps. This is assuming other new Kirby content like Bandana Dee and a FL stage get in.

FORGOTTEN LAND SPOILERS INBOUND!
Fecto Elfilis – The Ultimate Being(Fights against characters that reference Kirby and the Forgotten Land)
Round
Opponent
Stage
Music
Notes
1​
Bandana Dee​
Dream Land 64​
Green Greens (Melee)
2​
:ultduckhunt: Horde (x6)​
Green Greens​
Gourmet Race (Brawl)
References the Awoofy enemies.​
3​
Giant :ultdk:
Fountain of Dreams​
The Legendary Air Ride Machine
References Gorimondo.​
4​
Giant :ultsonic:
Halberd​
Meta Knight’s Revenge
References Sillydillo.​
5​
Giant :ultdiddy: holding Hammer, followed by Giant :ultfalco: holding Ore Club​
Omega Great Cave Offensive​
CROWNED
References Wild Bonkers and Fleurina.​
6​
Giant :ultincineroar:
Lab Discovera​
Roar of Dedede
References Leongar.​
Bonus​
Final​
:ultkirby:, :ultmetaknight: and :ultkingdedede:
Mysterious DimensionTwo Planets Approach the Roche Limit
Marx appears as usual, but this time he is on the player’s side. The damage the AI does to him scales with the intensity.​
Credits soundtrack: Ready to Go!

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Sakurai’s done with the daily screenshots he’s been posting on Twitter.
Hmm...I wonder, what else he's thinking about doing? It would be cool if it's still Smash-related.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I only care to re-iterate the point I’ve made about Bandana Dee in the past, which is that Bandana Dee is a victim of his moveset potential having missed the boat. Bandana’s intiial Smash 4 appeal was that, by the virtue of Kirby’s controls, his moveset in Return to Dreamland was a shoo-in for Smash and being easily mappable to the Smash control scheme. He had the distinction of his innate powerset being both unique and fitting in Smash.

For Ultimate, however, and whatever’s beyond that, this natural potential has been exhausted. Between the inception of Dee and Smash Ultimate, a full race-to-the-bottom has occurred when it comes to the distance-demon-department: Shulk was usurped by Corrin, who was usurped by Belmonts who were usurped by Byleth, Sepiroth and Min Min. Long story short, if you were to drop his Return to Dreamland set into Smash, you’d get an underwhelming set, when the exact same set would’ve been mighty fresh in Smash 4.

Now, Bandana’s golden moveset potential reaches a ceiling that I personally find it hard to extrapolate more from: Outside of his weapon of choice, Bandana Dee doesn’t have a really natural expansion of his powerset, as being Kirby‘s Player Four doesn’t grant him too much authority over the unique mechanics Kirby brings to the table.
Of course, one can settle for the RtDL set and make him a more basic moveset, or one can add to his potential with Parasol and Beam powers, but the initial “his playable appearance is a shoo-in for Smash” sweetspot is gone. Obviously, it‘s very much debateable how bad that is exactly, as the latter two are perfectly fine options. “Too little moveset potential” is not the argument here, but rather a call to reassess whether Bandana Dee’s natural potential still fits as well as it initially did.
This is where the contrast between Dee and the likes of Magolor and Marx becomes apparent, as the latter two don’t suffer from having to reach that much outside their basic power set to make for an intriguing set. Their Star Allies/Kirby Fighters 2 moveset now becomes the easy-mappable-to-Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I only care to re-iterate the point I’ve made about Bandana Dee in the past, which is that Bandana Dee is a victim of his moveset potential having missed the boat. Bandana’s intiial Smash 4 appeal was that, by the virtue of Kirby’s controls, his moveset in Return to Dreamland was a shoo-in for Smash and being easily mappable to the Smash control scheme. He had the distinction of his innate powerset being both unique and fitting in Smash.

For Ultimate, however, and whatever’s beyond that, this natural potential has been exhausted. Between the inception of Dee and Smash Ultimate, a full race-to-the-bottom has occurred when it comes to the distance-demon-department: Shulk was usurped by Corrin, who was usurped by Belmonts who were usurped by Byleth, Sepiroth and Min Min. Long story short, if you were to drop his Return to Dreamland set into Smash, you’d get an underwhelming set, when the exact same set would’ve been mighty fresh in Smash 4.

Now, Bandana’s golden moveset potential reaches a ceiling that I personally find it hard to extrapolate more from: Outside of his weapon of choice, Bandana Dee doesn’t have a really natural expansion of his powerset, as being Kirby‘s Player Four doesn’t grant him too much authority over the unique mechanics Kirby brings to the table.
Of course, one can settle for the RtDL set and make him a more basic moveset, or one can add to his potential with Parasol and Beam powers, but the initial “his playable appearance is a shoo-in for Smash” sweetspot is gone. Obviously, it‘s very much debateable how bad that is exactly, as the latter two are perfectly fine options. “Too little moveset potential” is not the argument here, but rather a call to reassess whether Bandana Dee’s natural potential still fits as well as it initially did.
This is where the contrast between Dee and the likes of Magolor and Marx becomes apparent, as the latter two don’t suffer from having to reach that much outside their basic power set to make for an intriguing set. Their Star Allies/Kirby Fighters 2 moveset now becomes the easy-mappable-to-Smash.
so "bandana can't happen cause the way i think he would play is similar to how other characters play"?

Quillion

Smash Hero

I think this gets into the dilemma of whether 64-Brawl simple movesets or Smash 4-on flashy, visually busy movesets are better.

I make it no secret that I prefer 64-Brawl movesets, so I think Dee's potential could fit into that pattern. Heck, as seen with Incineroar and Byleth, that paradigm isn't completely gone.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Poll is doing pretty well, starting my write up and analysis for the article from the bottom up. I also am doing some individual analysis for each series broadly getting a character as well. I debated having a broad category for just X series newcomer, but I decided that it would be more fun for everyone if they say broadly what people wanted character wise.

IDK when the article will be done, but I already have the polls for the next section close to complete. It will have the following series in it: Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby. If you have any particular requests lmk, but odds are I have a good chunk of the big requests for those.
Are the results closed now or are they still being accepted? (In other words, will results coming in now still be part of the article?)

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Well I just really want Crash Bandicoot of all things. Even if he's annoyingly simple and Sakurai barely cares about him I still want it. Though I'd love for him to have something more along the lines of the complicated moveset I envisioned for him.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well I just really want Crash Bandicoot of all things. Even if he's annoyingly simple and Sakurai barely cares about him I still want it. Though I'd love for him to have something more along the lines of the complicated moveset I envisioned for him.
now how do you know sakurai doesn’t care?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It is rather astounding how much choice in Microsoft owned franchises that a developer could have in the next Smash. Even putting aside IP's that haven't shown up on Nintendo hardware, its a remarkable list.

Troykv

Smash Master
So this is new speculation thread? I'm trying to see where I keep up with new developments, I like reading "what if"s and ideas about the future. :geno:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So this is new speculation thread? I'm trying to see where I keep up with new developments, I like reading "what if"s and ideas about the future. :geno:
From what I gather, this is the closest equivalent to the Newcomer/DLC speculation threads we had during Ultimate's (and past Smash games) lifespans. The main difference being that this isn't associated with a specific game and instead as an in between games thread.

As I remember it, the initial plan was to move all the Newcomer Speculation folk to the Social Thread once Ultimate's DLC was fully completed. However, several users, myself included, raised some concerns, because we had observed that the discussion in the Social Thread reached too many broad topics that had nothing to do with Smash Bros or even video games in general, and there was already a drastically different community and culture there. Therefore, the staff decided a "in between games" Smash speculation thread was more appropriate, so we could have a thread dedicated to Smash discussion in addition to the more broad Social Thread.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
From what I gather, this is the closest equivalent to the Newcomer/DLC speculation thread during Ultimate (and past Smash games) lifespans. The main difference being that this isn't associated with a specific game and instead as a in between games thread.
Makes sense, we need a thread like this ocassionally, so I think I'm gonna visit more regularly now, thanks Mushroom!

I feel sad I arrived three months too late for the conversations where I could have added something~

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Are the results closed now or are they still being accepted? (In other words, will results coming in now still be part of the article?)
As of now, results are still being accepted. The more data the merrier. I will probably close the poll this Firday though, just to focus on banging out the article in question. In terms of my thoughts, I have most of them hammered out pretty hard, though a few of them do need notably more writing to be done. Unless the data experiences a rapid surge of responses, I think the data will more or less be what it is at this point.

I will give a tease for the article though: should the data hold, there are some interesting things that panned out in terms of characters either over or under performing. Two in particular imo vastly over performed what I expected from them.

I think the article would probably be out in Early September,which is when I will also be releasing the poll for Part 2 of this project.

It is rather astounding how much choice in Microsoft owned franchises that a developer could have in the next Smash. Even putting aside IP's that haven't shown up on Nintendo hardware, its a remarkable list.
Its honestly going to be a fun discussion when we finally get around to that section. The current character draft article more or less spoils my individual thoughts, but to TLDR my horses in the race are Crash, Master Chief, and Dovakhin speaking purely from what I think is going to happen.

I will say that Microsoft getting at least 2 characters by the end of the next game's lifespan would not shock me. We know they are easy to work with DLC wise and now that their foot is in the door there is the option for them to appear in the base game too. We also know that at least Crash, Master Chief, Doomguy, and Dovakhin are all pretty big fan requests. Unless for some reason they decide to stop participating in Smash, which given how well received both of their characters are is a laughable thought, I think we can kind of assume that unless the boat is massively rocked between now and the next game, Microsoft is probably going to still be game.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
As of now, results are still being accepted. The more data the merrier. I will probably close the poll this Firday though, just to focus on banging out the article in question. In terms of my thoughts, I have most of them hammered out pretty hard, though a few of them do need notably more writing to be done. Unless the data experiences a rapid surge of responses, I think the data will more or less be what it is at this point.

I will give a tease for the article though: should the data hold, there are some interesting things that panned out in terms of characters either over or under performing. Two in particular imo vastly over performed what I expected from them.

I think the article would probably be out in Early September,which is when I will also be releasing the poll for Part 2 of this project.
Oh hell Phantom! I think I arrived just in time to join the poll xDD

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Oh hell Phantom! I think I arrived just in time to join the poll xDD
Howdy! You will be happy to know that the third section of the poll is going to include Fire Emblem. Don't worry, Micaiah is already going to be on said poll. Right now the following FE Characters are planned to be on the poll.

Generic Latest FE Rep
Shez
Dimitri
Claude
Edelgard
Micaiah
Black Knight
Ephirim
Lyn
Hector
Sigurd
Celica

Personally, I think outside of the Generic Newest FE Rep spot, most of these will not do great in the chance section, though I do think one or two will do well in the want section.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Howdy! You will be happy to know that the third section of the poll is going to include Fire Emblem.
Characters I'd advocate for adding to the poll:

• Anna (Most recurring character in the series, appeared in almost every game except Gaiden and its remake, could have interesting axe moveset)
  • Tiki (Important character that has appeared in multiple important games in the series, would bring unique manakete moveset)
  • Azura (Important co star of Fates alongside Corrin, much like how 3 House Leaders were for Byleth, would bring interesting dancer moveset)
  • Caeda (Important co star of Marth's games, appears almost everywhere with him outside of Smash Bros, would bring unique pegasus based moveset)

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Howdy! You will be happy to know that the third section of the poll is going to include Fire Emblem. Don't worry, Micaiah is already going to be on said poll. Right now the following FE Characters are planned to be on the poll.

Generic Latest FE Rep
Shez
Dimitri
Claude
Edelgard
Micaiah
Black Knight
Ephirim
Lyn
Hector
Sigurd
Celica

Personally, I think outside of the Generic Newest FE Rep spot, most of these will not do great in the chance section, though I do think one or two will do well in the want section.
I'm already feeling happy for the consideration! Thanks Phantom!

I find hilarious that the Generic Latest FE Rep it's on option already, but yeah, besides Marth and Robin (the only ones you can say they are here because of the merits of their games and their potential), all the Fire Emblem characters have skipped regular character consideration and have played pretty much for their own rules.

Though at least Byleth was vindicated by story (being part of the most popular game of the series for a long shot, and being popular in their own) instead of ended up as an awkward existence in Smash Bros like Corrin.

Edit: BTW, "Ephirim's name is actually "Ephraim"

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Generic Latest FE Rep
Shez
Dimitri
Claude
Edelgard
Micaiah
Black Knight
Ephirim
Lyn
Hector
Sigurd
Celica

Might I make the suggestion that Tiki should be on the list?

Troykv

Smash Master

Okay... not what I was expecting...

I wonder if we'll learn more about Smash's development process, judging by the name.
Well, he already showed in one of the videos he managed to get permission to share stuff from his developments, so yeah, Smash's development is definitely gonna be a topic in his videos.

Top Bottom