• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just completed the survey myself. I didn’t vote for my number one most wanted because he has literally 0% chance (Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy) and I felt like I’d just be throwing my vote away. I voted for three that are still unlikely but at least have some tiny chance.

1) Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
2) Magus (Chrono Trigger)
3) Illidan Stormrage (WarCraft)

1646879660017.jpeg

1646879721362.jpeg

1646879883072.png

It’s really hard to narrow my list down to just three characters since there are so many characters I’d love to see. Sadly, as you can probably tell from above, most of my favorites aren’t particularly likely.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Still my favorite Pokèmon Movie. I never pegged those 2 as ever playable, but now anything is possible is SSB.
images.jpeg.jpg

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Still my favorite Pokèmon Movie. I never pegged those 2 as ever playable, but now anything is possible is SSB.
View attachment 347123
Suicune would be really cool. It’s probably my favorite Pokémon of all of the legendary trios in each game. We could use more quadrupedal fighters in Smash and it was already playable in Pokken. Celebri is cool too so I’d be happy to see it as well.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I chose KOS-MOS, Lip, and Reimu Hakurei, in that order.

For new modes, I suggested an RPG mode involving the Spirits (more involved than the World of Light facilities). For new features, I suggested Stage Builder allowing players to set more objectives, such as Race To The Finish, Break The Targets, defeating Adventure Mode enemies or bosses, etc.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
For anyone interested, Source Gaming is doing (another) mega Smash poll, mainly asking thoughts about Ultimate and the future. This poll is maybe a bit too long (imo) and the data probably won't be that useful in the big picture, but I'm a sucker for data (especially regarding most-wanted picks).
1. Rygar
2. Alucard
3. Master Chief

Some of those questions took some time to answer honestly but overall it was a good poll... For Glory for instance was definitely my favorite over Elite Smash and I definitely want to see modes like Target Test come back.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
For anyone interested, Source Gaming is doing (another) mega Smash poll, mainly asking thoughts about Ultimate and the future. This poll is maybe a bit too long (imo) and the data probably won't be that useful in the big picture, but I'm a sucker for data (especially regarding most-wanted picks).
Choosing a top 3 was hard, but I went with Crash, Isaac, and Alucard. There were plenty of other picks bouncing around in my mind, such as Adol, Neku, Officer Howard, Eggman, and a Resident Evil rep.

Lowkey though, I think people are kinda sleeping on Alucard in general. Obviously I'm biased a bit because SotN is one of the greatest games of all time, but he almost made it in this game instead of the Belmonts and he is a reasonably popular character in his own right that would be hella unique. I would not be exactly shocked if we did end up getting him in the future.

toonito

Smash Ace
my top 5 characters

3 are in my signature
1 is my profile pic
and the last one is crash bandicoot

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Suicune would be really cool. It’s probably my favorite Pokémon of all of the legendary trios in each game. We could use more quadrupedal fighters in Smash and it was already playable in Pokken. Celebri is cool too so I’d be happy to see it as well.
Ummm... Pokèmon Ranger and the Temple of The Sea? nvmd. :lucario: was not really feeling it.! That day unfortunately... & neither was :pikachu2:, or anyone else.! Oh those times were fun w/ the VA change and whatNOT.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I never pegged those 2 as ever playable
Suicune is not actually that far-fetched if they ever decided to do an oldgen mon; it is one of those mons that appears consistently in things like Pokken and Smash even. Probably the lead candidate from gen 2, though if you stretch to other gens then you have stuff like Gardevoir, Sceptile/Blaziken, Gen 4 legendaries or Garchomp, and a host of recognizable gen 1 mons.
Idk about Celebi. I feel like a lot of non-cover legendaries being blocked behind mystery gift or relegated to postgame content can be detrimental to their chances, since it hurts their in-game relevance/importance. A lot of players don't even see these mons. At least things like Gardevoir and Garchomp serve as "bosses" of their games in a way, in addition to being vastly popular and recurring in things like Unite, Pokken, Smash, getting Mega Evolutions, etc.
Of course, this all depends on them breaking their current trends in terms of picking Pokémon for Smash, which they've shown no signs of doing. But it's a potentially interesting thought exercise.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I honestly ditched Source Gaming's poll after a few questions.

It's admirable how in-depth they went but the length of the questionnaire feels like it's going to limit its audience to only more passionate fans.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I honestly ditched Source Gaming's poll after a few questions.

It's admirable how in-depth they went but the length of the questionnaire feels like it's going to limit its audience to only more passionate fans.
I finished it myself, but yeah I agree that many people just wanna vote for their favorite characters and leave. Maybe they could've left more of the questions as optional, since a lot of people don't care all that much about several of the things on there.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Well they also chose a timeframe wherein the fanbase is among the most inactive it will be, so the sample would be much smaller than it would otherwise be even were it more streamlined. So its outcome may reflect pretty limited engagement...

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Suicune is not actually that far-fetched if they ever decided to do an oldgen mon; it is one of those mons that appears consistently in things like Pokken and Smash even. Probably the lead candidate from gen 2, though if you stretch to other gens then you have stuff like Gardevoir, Sceptile/Blaziken, Gen 4 legendaries or Garchomp, and a host of recognizable gen 1 mons.
Idk about Celebi. I feel like a lot of non-cover legendaries being blocked behind mystery gift or relegated to postgame content can be detrimental to their chances, since it hurts their in-game relevance/importance. A lot of players don't even see these mons. At least things like Gardevoir and Garchomp serve as "bosses" of their games in a way, in addition to being vastly popular and recurring in things like Unite, Pokken, Smash, getting Mega Evolutions, etc.
Of course, this all depends on them breaking their current trends in terms of picking Pokémon for Smash, which they've shown no signs of doing. But it's a potentially interesting thought exercise.
Gallade.EXE uh I mean EX?
s-l400.jpg

Ivander

Smash Legend
1. Monster Hunter
2. Raven Beak
3. A Phantasy Star character, like the PSO/PSO2 Avatars or Alis Landale.

It was a bit long, but it didn't take too long to get to the character selecting. I think the questions regarding Online weren't needed, since most people can overall agree on the same issues with it and whatnot. Asking for what new mode/features you want in a new game also felt needless. But overall, doing my best to be neutral with some of them wasn't too hard.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Even if it would be totally bodacious (I think that's the right use of that extremely outdated slang?), I can't see Michelangelo getting into Smash Bros.
You mean Donatello right?

Even though Leonardo is scientifically the best turtle, everyones knows that, when it comes to video game representation, Donny is the strongest.

Which is probably why they did it.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Gallade.EXE uh I mean EX?
View attachment 347153
I don't keep up with the TCG, but is that second move 170 damage before your first KO of the game?

Back to Smash, Gardevoir is potentially a really strange case because the body type probably doesn't permit them to use resources from Mewtwo, but some of the moves could work similarly (to be clear, I don't think it would really work as a clone of Mewtwo).

But actually, despite how much I've talked about not overdoing clones and such, I do think there is a bit of untapped potential for clones in PKMN. Like, I could imagine Salamence with a pretty similar moveset to Zard, with Flamethrower, Fly, Double Edge in place of Flare Blitz, Zen Headbutt for Rock Smash, and several of the non-specials. The body type is not similar enough for a straight Echo, though. Or, in a similar vein, I could see Blaziken doing most of what Captain Falcon does (in fact a quick search shows that this is not an original idea).

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You guys are ignoring developer burn out.

Working on the same project for seven years sounds mind numbing and prone to all sorts of funding and development problems.

Give Smash developers breaks. Let them refresh and develop other things too.

The Smash hype train does NOT have to be going 24/7.
Huh.

Someone should tell that to Nintendo and the millions they made off of it. Maybe they'll listen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So after catching up on that State of Play and watching the new Batman movie, I must say both experiences were not bad. In other words, both were of high quality, but could have been better both objectively and subjectively.

The real thing that, while I'm not surprised at all but still irritated that it happened, is that this new mod for Ultimate is starting to circle around and...god, it's just another 'make it more like Melee' mod and I'm so sick of this ****.

Ultimate has it's issues, sure, and I would love for it to overall be a tiny bit faster with movement...but this **** is so old and boring and just speaking about the Melee community and it's scene that much more. Why is it that mods that make a game in the Smash series go back to 2001 and function more like a janky glitchy game that was so rushed it's baffling to the mind how it's not even more of a hot mess are the ones people get all hyped about?

We get it, you like Melee. Cool. Either move on with the series, or stick to your mess that you prefer to play in the most messy state possible, but stop trying to make every new game in the series like Melee. Each game is it's own thing despite making very few tweaks to the formula, and the series is better off that way.

I like Melee too guys, more than Brawl, but I don't act like it was gaming perfection and that each subsequent game needs to conform to the Perfect Design like Viktor from League of Legends or something. The mods that make silly changes, implement cool changes or features, or just pseudo-add to the roster are so many times more interesting than this.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m not sure if I’m alone in this but the poll reminded me of something. Does anyone else feel like a lot of the new stages, especially the DLC ones, are a little too basic? Most of them are just Battlefield variants with pretty backgrounds. I think the fact that we have options for FD and BF variants already should have given them more freedom to get a bit more creative with the base stage design. I do agree that some stages in Brawl and Smash 4 went a bit too far with gimmicks but I think they were too reserved in this game. I feel like 64 and Melee had the perfect balance of really fun and interesting layouts that weren’t overly intrusive. I wish we got more stages like that.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I don't keep up with the TCG, but is that second move 170 damage before your first KO of the game?

Back to Smash, Gardevoir is potentially a really strange case because the body type probably doesn't permit them to use resources from Mewtwo, but some of the moves could work similarly (to be clear, I don't think it would really work as a clone of Mewtwo).

But actually, despite how much I've talked about not overdoing clones and such, I do think there is a bit of untapped potential for clones in PKMN. Like, I could imagine Salamence with a pretty similar moveset to Zard, with Flamethrower, Fly, Double Edge in place of Flare Blitz, Zen Headbutt for Rock Smash, and several of the non-specials. The body type is not similar enough for a straight Echo, though. Or, in a similar vein, I could see Blaziken doing most of what Captain Falcon does (in fact a quick search shows that this is not an original idea).
To answer your question, "uh, YES" lol I don't remember. I just thought my card looked amazing in "Holographic" (not the Yu-Gi-Oh! Card)
Mmm, I pick Gallade over Blaziken any day. And II think I pick Flygon or Latios over Salamance tbh. But yes Gardevoir & Salamance are another great option they could do. :)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I’m not sure if I’m alone in this but the poll reminded me of something. Does anyone else feel like a lot of the new stages, especially the DLC ones, are a little too basic? Most of them are just Battlefield variants with pretty backgrounds. I think the fact that we have options for FD and BF variants already should have given them more freedom to get a bit more creative with the base stage design. I do agree that some stages in Brawl and Smash 4 went a bit too far with gimmicks but I think they were too reserved in this game. I feel like 64 and Melee had the perfect balance of really fun and interesting layouts that weren’t overly intrusive. I wish we got more stages like that.
I personally only play on BF or FD or their omega forms but I liked what they did with many of the stages and at the same time hate others. So I guess it's a mixed bag for me. Fountain of Dreams tho I need sunglasses to keep from going blind lol.

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Just completed it, and in terms of most wanted characters, they shouldn’t shock anyone:

1. Leon Kennedy
2. Dante
3. Raven Beak

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I personally only play on BF or FD or their omega forms but I liked what they did with many of the stages and at the same time hate others. So I guess it's a mixed bag for me. Fountain of Dreams tho I need sunglasses to keep from going blind lol.
Lol, Yeah I think it just comes down to me just being a strictly casual player. I never really cared at all about tournament viability but I was happy that they added the BF and FD options for those that do. I like feeling like I’m actually in the game when playing a stage and most stages don’t really capture that for me. My ideal stage would be if they just took a small section of a stage like the Central Highway from Mega Man X and just ported it directly into Smash with updated graphics. Most Smash stages are just floating land masses with platforms. I guess a good analogy would be the difference between stage design in Tropical Freeze and New Super Mario Bros. I like feeling like I’m actually in a real location. That’s why a stage like Mishima Dojo resonated with me so much. Despite being simple, it felt like a real place and busting through the walls and ceiling was really fun.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The real thing that, while I'm not surprised at all but still irritated that it happened, is that this new mod for Ultimate is starting to circle around and...god, it's just another 'make it more like Melee' mod and I'm so sick of this ****.

Ultimate has it's issues, sure, and I would love for it to overall be a tiny bit faster with movement...but this **** is so old and boring and just speaking about the Melee community and it's scene that much more. Why is it that mods that make a game in the Smash series go back to 2001 and function more like a janky glitchy game that was so rushed it's baffling to the mind how it's not even more of a hot mess are the ones people get all hyped about?

We get it, you like Melee. Cool. Either move on with the series, or stick to your mess that you prefer to play in the most messy state possible, but stop trying to make every new game in the series like Melee. Each game is it's own thing despite making very few tweaks to the formula, and the series is better off that way.

I like Melee too guys, more than Brawl, but I don't act like it was gaming perfection and that each subsequent game needs to conform to the Perfect Design like Viktor from League of Legends or something. The mods that make silly changes, implement cool changes or features, or just pseudo-add to the roster are so many times more interesting than this.
Aren't you a Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl fan? The same NASB whose gameplay is meant to follow Melee more than later Smashes? You'd think someone who's a fan of that wouldn't be irrationally pissed at some random mod that's never gonna catch on as much as PM did.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Lol, Yeah I think it just comes down to me just being a strictly casual player. I never really cared at all about tournament viability but I was happy that they added the BF and FD options for those that do. I like feeling like I’m actually in the game when playing a stage and most stages don’t really capture that for me. My ideal stage would be if they just took a small section of a stage like the Central Highway from Mega Man X and just ported it directly into Smash with updated graphics. Most Smash stages are just floating land masses with platforms. I guess a good analogy would be the difference between stage design in Tropical Freeze and New Super Mario Bros. I like feeling like I’m actually in a real location. That’s why a stage like Mishima Dojo resonated with me so much. Despite being simple, it felt like a real place and busting through the walls and ceiling was really fun.
I never thought of that before now but I agree... Like actually Castle Siege definitely felt like I was in a FE campaign with the 3 different areas and the overall aesthetic. But then you have mega man and it's FD basically.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
happy that they added the BF and FD options for those that do
You clearly aren't a tournament player, because otherwise you'd know tournaments don't utilize BF/FD forms and stick to the default BF/FD.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You clearly aren't a tournament player, because otherwise you'd know tournaments don't utilize BF/FD forms and stick to the default BF/FD.
Any particular reason why? That seems like it kind of defeats the point of adding those forms in the first place if they still aren’t going to get played. Not that I’ll ever complain about more options.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Any particular reason why? That seems like it kind of defeats the point of adding those forms in the first place if they still aren’t going to get played. Not that I’ll ever complain about more options.
It's probably easier to indicate you are definitely playing on BF or FD if your cursor goes to the real BF/FD.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's probably easier to indicate you are definitely playing on BF or FD if your cursor goes to the real BF/FD.
I guess that makes sense. I just kind of assumed that the whole point of those variants was to make every stage tournament viable. Oh well, it’s still a nice option for friends who want more competitive games. I personally never use them but I don’t have any issues with the option.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I guess that makes sense. I just kind of assumed that the whole point of those variants was to make every stage tournament viable. Oh well, it’s still a nice option for friends who want more competitive games. I personally never use them but I don’t have any issues with the option.
Even as a competitive player I wish they didn't have to bother remodeling stages. Having to model BF/FD forms for every stage plus remodeling all those Melee/Brawl/3DS stages to be up to par with the Switch's graphics means less room for modeling new stages, which also limited the fighters they could make with the base game as new fighters from new series would need new stages. This might've been the ultimate reason we got Piranha Plant, because being a Mario enemy means they can pass off one of the many Mario stages as its "home" without having to model, say, an Excitebike arena for Excitebiker.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Even as a competitive player I wish they didn't have to bother remodeling stages. Having to model BF/FD forms for every stage plus remodeling all those Melee/Brawl/3DS stages to be up to par with the Switch's graphics means less room for modeling new stages, which also limited the fighters they could make with the base game as new fighters from new series would need new stages. This might've been the ultimate reason we got Piranha Plant, because being a Mario enemy means they can pass off one of the many Mario stages as its "home" without having to model, say, an Excitebike arena for Excitebiker.
You do make a good point. I would have rather had more unique stages than variants personally. I’m one of the few that really likes Pirahna Plant lol. It’s probably one of my favorite newcomers. I’d have rather had Goomba but Plant was funny and unexpected. I personally wouldn’t have been that interested in Excitebiker but it could have been a pretty unique character at least.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Just completed it, and in terms of most wanted characters, they shouldn’t shock anyone:

1. Leon Kennedy
2. Dante
3. Raven Beak
Dantè "Hey.! I heard my name. :)"
I never thought of that before now but I agree... Like actually Castle Siege definitely felt like I was in a FE campaign with the 3 different areas and the overall aesthetic. But then you have mega man and it's FD basically.
Still butt hurt Lyn & The Black Knight aren't playable characters... Not YET.
Cue Against The Black Knight followed by Crimean Armie Sortie

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Dantè "Hey.! I heard my name. :)"

Still butt hurt Lyn & The Black Knight aren't playable characters... Not YET.
Cue Against The Black Knight followed by Crimean Armie Sortie
The Black Knight was one of my most wanted characters for a long time. He’s fallen off a bit now that third parties have more of a focus but I’d still love to see him. He has such a cool design and was a great character in general. Ike’s games were my first Fire Emblem games and now I’m a big fan of the series even though PoR and RD are still my favorites. I’ll always advocate for more villain representation in Smash.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
The Black Knight was one of my most wanted characters for a long time. He’s fallen off a bit now that third parties have more of a focus but I’d still love to see him. He has such a cool design and was a great character in general. Ike’s games were my first Fire Emblem games and now I’m a big fan of the series even though PoR and RD are still my favorites. I’ll always advocate for more villain representation in Smash.
Same.
The Black Knight targeting said 3rd Parties "Know your place.! AT Noises.... "Wen**" The Last Story (2012)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m feeling a bit inspired to post another dream roster for a potential future Smash game. The hardest part is going to be reeling myself in since there are literally hundreds of characters I’d love to see make it in. I would like to see a lot of popular choices like Master Chief, Doom Guy, Ryu Hyabusa, Dante, and others but I don’t think any hugely requested characters make my personal top 50 so that will be interesting to see what kind of responses I get. I’ll try to have a few semi-realistic choices mixed in with mostly really out there personal favorites that no one talks about. I haven’t decided on a roster size yet but it will probably be big because I want so many characters lol.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Here's an interesting question
What Ultimate Mii Costume characters do y'all think have a good shot of getting the upgrade?

Top Bottom