• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Would you guys say that Sonic is more likely to get a second character than Mega Man as far as third parties go? I’d put both of them right at the top of the list personally. I think Zero has a lot going for him but the same can be said for a few Sonic characters. I’d love to get both Zero and Knuckles in the next Smash.
I think it's "more likely" in the sense that the demand is more prominent, Sonic is more active and unlike Mega Man I don't see any potential competition within its own company. Zero and say, Chun-Li could very well coexist, but there's a good chance the love will be dealt elsewhere (Monster Hunter? Resident Evil?) and I feel like dishing out three Capcom characters on base roster may end up being a bit much. Personally I think Chunners has Zero beat by a decent margin but I won't deny the possibility of the opposite, or getting both. Although it would surprise me a little bit.

Meanwhile, Bayonetta and Persona have a couple viable options but are easily secondary to Sonic. The fact that there are a solid four options that would all feel very justified puts Sonic in a really compelling spot next game, while his brand is also reaching a peak it hasn't seen in years. I think a new character from one of Capcom's series is more likely collectively, but Sonic might have the most going for it in a vacuum. Just with no clear frontrunner (imo).

The main obstacle simply being the series' general indifference toward Sonic up to this point. But I chalk some of that up to difficulties working with Sega in the past, through tangled music rights and restrictive mandates that stripped Sonic of his personality. Optimistically I want to say we should be past that now? Sonic has been very expressive again and he's showing up all over the place. They seem a lot looser with the IP.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think it's "more likely" in the sense that the demand is more prominent, Sonic is more active and unlike Mega Man I don't see any potential competition within its own company. Zero and say, Chun-Li could very well coexist, but there's a good chance the love will be dealt elsewhere (Monster Hunter? Resident Evil?) and I feel like dishing out three Capcom characters on base roster may end up being a bit much. Personally I think Chunners has Zero beat by a decent margin but I won't deny the possibility of the opposite, or getting both. Although it would surprise me a little bit.

Meanwhile, Bayonetta and Persona have a couple viable options but are easily secondary to Sonic. The fact that there are a solid four options that would all feel very justified puts Sonic in a really compelling spot next game, while his brand is also reaching a peak it hasn't seen in years. I think a new character from one of Capcom's series is more likely collectively, but Sonic might have the most going for it in a vacuum. Just with no clear frontrunner (imo).
Zero and Chun-Li can always hit the DLC if Monster Hunter becomes a thing. I'm feeling the latter may end up making the base roster over the former 2.

As far as Sonic goes, 100% agree. They could always throw a curveball with someone like Amy or Blaze over Shadow/Tails/Knuckles/Eggman.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Granted, I usually don't see many people questioning Ring Fit Trainee's odds. I guess it's a bit harder to push back against when the game involves a great deal of combat, magical attacks etc that are kind of a no brainer in sustaining a moveset.
On the other hand, a lot of people are still weirdly baffled by the possibility that Ring Fit Trainee could be a unique character or the fact that it's a new IP.

It's still common for fan rosters to add them as a replacement for or a clone of Wii Fit Trainer.

osby

Smash Obsessed

The main obstacle simply being the series' general indifference toward Sonic up to this point. But I chalk some of that up to difficulties working with Sega in the past, through tangled music rights and restrictive mandates that stripped Sonic of his personality. Optimistically I want to say we should be past that now? Sonic has been very expressive again and he's showing up all over the place. They seem a lot looser with the IP.
It's interesting to compare how many series both companies have in Smash.

Capcom has Street Fighter and Mega Man in the form of playable fighters - but also features a Monster Hunter boss/assist, as well as smaller content from Ghost'n Goblins, Devil May Cry, and Resident Evil. Among all third parties, it has the most ATs, Spirits and Mii costumes. On the other hand, SEGA only has Virtua Fighter represented discounting Sonic, Bayonetta, and Persona.

So that's just a guess but between the two, Capcom seems like the more likely side to branch to new franchises for new characters. Though, with how big Like a Dragon is lately, maybe we can also see it in Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the other hand, a lot of people are still weirdly baffled by the possibility that Ring Fit Trainee could be a unique character or the fact that it's a new IP.

It's still common for fan rosters to add them as a replacement for or a clone of Wii Fit Trainer.
As a clone? Ew.

I do think that Ring Fit will be in and Wii Fit will be out, but it's because of rotating veterans, not outright replacements. Honestly replacements basically never happen. There was like, Toon Link (who didn't stick because of Everyone is Here) and presumably Plussle, and that's it. Another version of a veteran, and a creature designed to evoke the image of a veteran. The Trainer and Trainee are too different from each other for that.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
As far as Sonic goes, 100% agree. They could always throw a curveball with someone like Amy or Blaze over Shadow/Tails/Knuckles/Eggman.
I doubt it. I feel like purposely sidestepping all the popular requests if you go for a second Sonic rep would be odd, it'd just feel like subversion for the sake of subversion. And I say that as someone that wouldn't mind burning people with Blaze.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
What moveset changes would you guy's like to see for certain veterans?

Hard Mode: Avoid the usual suspects that get brought up the most in these kinds of discussions ( eg: Clone/semi clone/echo fighters, Wario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Samus and whatnot), try to be a bit more creative and pick a more obscure veteran character that doesn't get brought up as much in these kinds of conversations.
Give me these Reworks Nintendo!

Toon Link/ Toy Link:
Give him the sword Beam Already Sheshh!
In general make him more of an all purpose small link instead of focusing only on windwaker!
If he has the full master sword he has to have the Mirror Shield (which reflects) Because you cant have the L-1 Shield with the completed MAstersword!
Also give him the Jumping Slash as a dash atttack!

Bomb Could be held overhead or combined with bow for a little links awekneing reffrence!
Or give him young links fire arrows?
Maybe a more canon sword based final smash?

He Would probably be both tooon and toy at the same time!

Zelda:
While shes still called zelda she gets the smae treatment as toon link and gets a toon Zelda overhaul together with a Toy Zelda Look!
Why? Because those are the two games were she has the biggest gameplay role! (and please dont ask me how the names would work i dont care) But this zelda would still be the only one (other than maybe sheik)
She would get the Lightbow as her smash attacks, Her final smash is now based on her sealing calamity ganon (instead of being a mde up seal)
The Spells are now more close to oot in look and function (she keeps them so that she feels familiar)

And Phantom Slash is now: Tri rod Summon were she takes out the trirod and summons either a phantom or dark nut! so its mostly a visual change

Sheik/ Impa:
Basically the motto is Same Feel diffrent excution for one theyre holding a sheikah dagger just like impa does in AOC and its based on a weapon from BOTW/ TOTK most moves are now dagger slashes with very similar hitboxes!
The Special have similar feelings/ Function but the only one which is the same is up b although now it resembles Sheik/ Impas Deku nut vanishes!

Also Yeah of course adult link and Ganondorf are playable and they would be focused on totk/ BOTW

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I doubt it. I feel like purposely sidestepping all the popular requests if you go for a second Sonic rep would be odd, it'd just feel like subversion for the sake of subversion. And I say that as someone that wouldn't mind burning people with Blaze.
We've had some weird picks to be fair

P. Plant got in as the newcomer for the Mario series over Waluigi, Toad, Paper Mario for example. I can see Sakurai sometimes having to do some wild picks outta nowhere that we won't expect

But they do need to pick other elements as I've noticed alot of characters have fire in their moves opposed to other elements.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Would you guys say that Sonic is more likely to get a second character than Mega Man as far as third parties go? I’d put both of them right at the top of the list personally. I think Zero has a lot going for him but the same can be said for a few Sonic characters. I’d love to get both Zero and Knuckles in the next Smash.
A second Sonic character feels like a more obvious choice, but the thing about Capcom that others have mentioned is that they're fairly easy to work with. I feel that if we don't get Zero, we'll get Chun-Li or a Monster Hunter character.

Hard Mode: Avoid the usual suspects that get brought up the most in these kinds of discussions ( eg: Clone/semi clone/echo fighters, Wario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Samus and whatnot), try to be a bit more creative and pick a more obscure veteran character that doesn't get brought up as much in these kinds of conversations.

Like say, Pikachu, how about changing Skull Bash to a more canon move like Electroweb? I can imagine it working to where Pikachu can throw a projectile and then turning it into an electric web trampoline in mid air for him to bounce off of (Kinda like Squitter from the Donkey Kong Country games), or maybe even reflect projectiles as an additional option, he'd be able to shoot it horizontally, vertically or diagonally. Other characters will get caught up and electrocuted for a bit when they touch it.

I guess if Pichu somehow manages to stay, he can keep the old Skull Bash for differentiation.
I would change Little Mac to have a Star Punch mechanic where he earns Stars by hitting foes at the right time, and can later expend those Stars for a Star Uppercut. Because I'm gonna be real, his current design does not work lol

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Sales is not the route to take arguing FE and Xenoblade. Sure they sell well enough to be included, but they are included.

The argument for them is they'll get new characters because they're promotional series, and have had new entries. Kirby, Zelda, DK; these games sell well too, but get characters far more infrequently, because they aren't promotional series.
It's not about one or the other being the entire argument, it's about analyzing contexts which may or may not change the established pattern. Commercial success and precise timing of the project plan are both part of that. No, I guarantee you it's not as simple as "it's FE/XBC and it got a new game, so that game's getting a character."

Another thing that I think has started to get lost here is that the whole "promotional" or "rotating cast" series designation is probably not something they actively apply when they build a roster, it's just fan theory on why things have tended to go a certain way so far. In fact, as I understand it the whole thing is predicated on certain conditions, like frequent releases and a steady stream of new protagonist-level characters, simply being conducive to standing out more frequently, not any conscious and active categorization by the devs. Point is, unless Sakurai is purposefully conforming to a rigid ruleset on how each series should operate, any and all context should come into play with the selections.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Animal Crossing is two characters in, is outselling practically every other Nintendo series and so many Smash fans still treat it with that level of indifference when discussing new content - let alone how expendable the community treats Wii Fit Trainer. It's rarely stated outright but there is a clear bias against "casual" market games and their viability / significance.

Granted, I usually don't see many people questioning Ring Fit Trainee's odds. I guess it's a bit harder to push back against when the game involves a great deal of combat, magical attacks etc that are kind of a no brainer in sustaining a moveset.
The one that scrunches my brain is when people act like AC only got big with NH. Or maybe NL. WW sold over 10 mil, that was like... the high end of Zelda back then.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
We've had some weird picks to be fair

P. Plant got in as the newcomer for the Mario series over Waluigi, Toad, Paper Mario for example. I can see Sakurai sometimes having to do some wild picks outta nowhere that we won't expect
True but the inclusion of a second Sonic rep at all I assume would be largely because of the heavy fan demand. So if you're going back to the Sonic series specifically because fans said "We want more Sonic", and then you go for, well, anyone other than the guys they're clamoring for, that defeats the purpose of giving in to the demand.

Though tbf if Sonic ever gets a third or fourth fully unique character, then I can see a curveball maybe happening.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
It's not about one or the other being the entire argument, it's about analyzing contexts which may or may not change the established pattern. Commercial success and precise timing of the project plan are both part of that. No, I guarantee you it's not as simple as "it's FE/XBC and it got a new game, so that game's getting a character."
Unless that game utterly bombs, I think it is. Maybe not XC, that one is less proven, but I think it will be.

I think Nintendo wants those new games represented.

Another thing that I think has started to get lost here is that the whole "promotional" or "rotating cast" series designation is probably not something they actively apply when they build a roster, it's just fan theory on why things have tended to go a certain way so far.
Sakurai designates a spot for a Pokemon before he's even decided on that Pokemon, and before that gen is even revealed, then works based simply on art he's given. Sakurai said the choice was down to Incineroar or Decidueye, which is awfully convenient to narrow it down from the hundreds of Pokemon to basically the two feasible ones being promoted. Sakurai said he had reservations on putting Corrin in, but he eventually did. Sakurai said he agreed there were too many FE characters, but he doesn't make all the decisions, and that Byleth wasn't even his preference from 3H.

I very much think these characters are at the behest of the other parties, be it Nintendo, TPC, IS, etc. And the thing that unifies them is a rotating selection of characters in the promotional spotlight.

Again Xenoblade is less proven, but I think it will also fit this pattern so long as it continues.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Animal Crossing is two characters in, is outselling practically every other Nintendo series and so many Smash fans still treat it with that level of indifference when discussing new content - let alone how expendable the community treats Wii Fit Trainer. It's rarely stated outright but there is a clear bias against "casual" market games and their viability / significance.
I think why some people treat these series differently is…

For Animal Crossing, it’s a bit hard for the average person not in the know of the series to imagine anything other than a Villager semi-clone. This could make those prioritising moveset potential be more dismissive of the series.
And also some people somehow still think it’s 1999.

For Wii Fit, the argument could be made that its time has passed. I’d be for bringing Trainer back in the future as a nostalgic Wii pick, but I can see why some are dismissive right now.

Characters who fight are obviously going to be more popular suggestions, because half the work of moveset creation is already done, be it the swordfighter, the platformer mascot, or even the gunman.
I would not put Mega Man in the same boat as Sonic, personally. I feel like they would prioritise a second unique Street Fighter character first.

RE: Rotating casts

Nintendo will want these new games represented. They are effectively ‘franchises of franchises’. It’s unlikely antagonists, side characters, etc get a chance here.

You could represent the whole Mario series with just the core cast if you wanted to trim it down.

But Fire Emblem? Pokémon? At this point, Xenoblade too? New games constantly releasing with new worlds, new characters, new abilities, new mechanics. That is not something you can only represent with only Marth, Pikachu, and Shulk.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want to see Lucario incorporate his energy bone club and maybe rework his aura mechanic a bit. He’s probably my favorite Pokemon on the roster but I could never really get the hang of playing him well. I’d also change his running animation to the Naruto style run he uses in the anime.
This would help Lucario a lot. Range is a huge problem on Lucario. The aura bone staff thing would help him enormously, as well as getting rid of the Aura mechanic. Make it less extreme at the very least. Say, around 50-75% or so. Little more speed and Lucario is good.

In general I really hope they fix heavily popular characters like this. It's all good and fun we have newcomers and all, but the older ones usually have even more popularity outside of Smash and a longer lasting importance and fame, so why not boost them up to be flashier Smash characters? I genuinely hope they do this. Other characters I wanna see boosted like this are Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Samus, Kirby, Charizard, Ike, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Wario, Meta Knight, all these would enjoy way more popularity if they'd be made flashier like their source games, and increase their popularity in Smash by a huge amount therefore.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I just don't like AC lol so if it gets ANOTHER character... Cool! Every fighting game I've ever played has characters I either don't use or don't like or both with very few exceptions (MK2, TK3) and I think it's pointless to hate on them just because I don't like them cause 15 million people think otherwise and many of them play Smash so yay for AC!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just don't like AC lol so if it gets ANOTHER character... Cool! Every fighting game I've ever played has characters I either don't use or don't like or both with very few exceptions (MK2, TK3) and I think it's pointless to hate on them just because I don't like them cause 15 million people think otherwise and many of them play Smash so yay for AC!
Same here. There’s obviously some Smash characters that appeal to me much more than others but I realize every character has their fans so I think it’s better to be happy those fans got someone they’re hyped about than gettting too disappointed that you didn’t. I also try to use every character casually even if I don’t care for them. My true main is actually the random button lol.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think a lot of people feel that another Animal Crossing character would play just like Villager and Isabelle, with some minor tweaks. And the thought of three nearly identical characters running around the screen pocketing everything isn’t the most appealing to them.

Which could be a reason why, despite the franchise’s quickly rising star, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of enthusiasm for a new addition among Smash fans.

Not saying they’re right, just thinking aloud here :nifty:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think a lot of people feel that another Animal Crossing character would play just like Villager and Isabelle, with some minor tweaks. And the thought of three nearly identical characters running around the screen pocketing everything isn’t the most appealing to them
To be fair, Sakurai always planned to have Isabelle be a variant of Villager's moveset anyway. So I imagine they imagine he'd think the same of Tom Nook if he's on the next project plan.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it’s cool that Smash can get creative and come up with movesets for characters like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer that have never actually fought before. However, my preferences tend to lean towards characters that have more direct battle experience and attacks to pull from. Thats why a lot of mine come from genres like action platformers, RPGs, Beat ‘em Ups, and fighting games. With those characters, it’s just easier to translate and give you the feeling that you’re actually playing the character. Characters like Villager are cool here and there but I feel like they’re best in moderation. That’s just my personal opinion though.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This topic makes me wonder what the most unique potential for major series’s characters are…

Oh god, there’s a good case here for the swordfighters being the most unique characters, isn’t there?
I feel like there’s still some room for sword fighters to feel unique from the rest of the cast. A ninja like Ryu Hyabusa or a samurai like Yasuo would feel very distinct from the typical European style Fire Emblem swordsmen. Even within Fire Emblem, Lynn has a pretty unique style. Zero from Mega Man X could really stand out as well. In general I do think it would be cool to have some more weapon variety since the humanoid fighters in Smash almost exclusively use swords if they use a weapon.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset based on Hyrule Warriors Trident Ganondorf.
-Make Black Shadow the Echo of Captain Falcon and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his Echo. Make Roy Marth's Echo.
-Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To be fair, Sakurai always planned to have Isabelle be a variant of Villager's moveset anyway. So I imagine they imagine he'd think the same of Tom Nook if he's on the next project plan.
Would Tom Nook use Pocket, though?

Finn the Human in Multiversus has a mechanic where he collects money after attacking enemies and uses it to buy upgrades to his stats or temporarily access a powerful attack.

I’d imagine Tom Nook would utilize a similar mechanic with Bells, as it fits his salesman role better.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Finn the Human in Multiversus has a mechanic where he collects money after attacking enemies and uses it to buy upgrades to his stats or temporarily access a powerful attack.

I’d imagine Tom Nook would utilize a similar mechanic with Bells, as it fits his salesman role better.
I'm not saying that's what I'd think Tom Nook would do, I'm just trying to figure out why some people think Tom Nook would just be Villager 3.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Like say, Pikachu, how about changing Skull Bash to a more canon move like Electroweb? I can imagine it working to where Pikachu can throw a projectile and then turning it into an electric web trampoline in mid air for him to bounce off of (Kinda like Squitter from the Donkey Kong Country games), or maybe even reflect projectiles as an additional option, he'd be able to shoot it horizontally, vertically or diagonally. Other characters will get caught up and electrocuted for a bit when they touch it.
Pikachu with a trapping move and a reflector sounds horrible. Y'all need to think more about characters' playstyles before suggesting these "more canon" ideas. It's not all about the references. Function is way more important.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Mr. Krabs in NASB 2 has a mechanic where loose change appears every time he deals and takes damage. The more money Mr. Krabs collects, the more his speed and special attacks get buffed. Once his meter is full, Mr. Krabs can use his down special as a powerful finisher.

I imagine that if Tom Nook got into Smash, he would have a similar playstyle to Mr. Krabs.

Laniv

Smash Champion

Mr. Krabs in NASB 2 has a mechanic where loose change appears every time he deals and takes damage. The more money Mr. Krabs collects, the more his speed and special attacks get buffed. Once his meter is full, Mr. Krabs can use his down special as a powerful finisher.

I imagine that if Tom Nook got into Smash, he would have a similar playstyle to Mr. Krabs.
He could have Pocket and still have a money mechanic. Like, he could Pocket a projectile or an item, and choose to either throw it back, or "sell" what he pocketed for extra Bells?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think a lot of people feel that another Animal Crossing character would play just like Villager and Isabelle, with some minor tweaks. And the thought of three nearly identical characters running around the screen pocketing everything isn’t the most appealing to them.
This is definitely at least in part what it comes down to, I've realized that for a while now. But yeah, those people are wrong. I've spoken on Tom Nook's moveset a dozen times and you can only really get so far if people still don't want to take your word for it. KK Slider is right there anyway, even if Nook wasn't compelling on his own. It's likely a mix of this concern coated deeper in a general disinterest. If someone wanted to find a solution they could.

Tom Nook probably would use Pocket fwiw, I think that would be the unifying trait between the three. But he would probably pocket in exchange for bells rather than throwing the item back, and then whatever effect that would have on him be it some install or purchase system. And just for the record... even if Nook was also a semiclone, certainly Animal Crossing could justify a third off one of its most recognizable characters just as much as Star Fox or Fire Emblem could.

Sakurai said he agreed there were too many FE characters, but he doesn't make all the decisions, and that Byleth wasn't even his preference from 3H.
Did he say that?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
This topic makes me wonder what the most unique potential for major series’s characters are…
In terms of a wacky moveset Phoenix Wright could probably provide one.

The moveset that Capcom gave him in MVC feels like something the Smash bros devs would have come up with if given the chance to include Phoenix. It's a perfect translation of what it feels like to play through an Ace Attorney game.
Phoenix starts of as extremely weak and needing to use defensive moves while he wanders the stage collecting items into his court record and once he's grabed enough he transition into his "Turnabout" state where all his attacks gain an extreme power boost for a small time frame to show that he's no longer on the backfoot, with his super move changing to match him gaining ground in court.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He could have Pocket and still have a money mechanic. Like, he could Pocket a projectile or an item, and choose to either throw it back, or "sell" what he pocketed for extra Bells?
Selling pocketed goods? That’s Crazy Redd’s business. :4pacman:

I don’t really like it, because I prefer strong passive buffs over a passively charged strong attack, especially if he became a zoner similar to Villager and Isabelle.

We’ve seen this thing before in rushdown characters and the non-Streets FGC’s. :ultcloud::ultkazuya::ultlittlemac::ult_terry:

However, I can also visualize it easily. Fork up enough bells to summon a house from the ground like Dr. Wright, but its size and power correlates to how much money you deposit to use it. It fits him too well.

DKing

Smash Cadet
Crash Bandicoot A lot of people see him more as a DLC pick, but with how easy apparently Microsoft is to work with, I could see him making it's way into base game as the "hype pick" similar to Sonic in Brawl and Mega Man in Smash 4.
As popular is Crash bandicoot that can happen it will be a base game character if it is the case maybe masterchief could be a dlc.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Yes. That's correct.
That's not how echoes work but anyway.

Hopefully next game drops the echo label altogether. The fandom got really annoying because no one really understands what makes an echo. It was an effective way to make people stop complaining about clones, but I think we're past that now. Just do like Brawl and make every clone who stays a semi clone.

Top Bottom