• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Pokémon could opt for a Gen 10 rep instead
Honestly, i feel like Gen 10 will be a 2026 release for the 30th anniversary, they got 2025 covered with Z-A, a 4-year long generation isn't unheard of.

It feels like the right time for picks such Bandana Dee and Paper Mario with recent releases.
Yeah, i could see them getting added, i would prefer Magolor over BWD, through.

I can see Xenoblade and Splatoon getting the Kid Icarus treatment from Smash 4, where we get a unique fighter and an echo fighter.
I'm confused why would Xenoblade get a echo, but i could definitely see Splatoon get DJ Octavio as a unique and Octoling as an echo.

Sylux is likely pushed to being DLC. Prime 4 may have come a bit late here. Geno may also be in this boat if Square plays ball.
Raven Beak is still possible in the base game imo. Dread was a success and very popular, i could easily seem him getting picked if the newcomers where picked in 2023 and if they're 12 (non-echoes) of them minimum.
I'm not to sure about Geno, honestly, i think he'll have to compete with Paper Mario for the 2nd slot, since i think 3 non-echo Mario newcomers would be a bit too much.

And I think they’ll pander to the 2000’s kids with a now-retro character. Likely Isaac since he’s pretty well demanded, and Advance Wars failed to meet expectations, it seems.
I agree, but i dont think Advance Wars is impossible, i think it still got a shoot.

Also, if we asume the next game goes back into having 12+ non-echo newcomers:
Ashley from WarioWare, which imo has a good shoot.
The posibility of an obscure retro character like DeMille from Tomato Adventure or Takamaru from Murasame Castle poping up somehow...
Astral Chain and Ring Fit Adventure reps seem very very likely in this scenario.
Karate Joe from Rhythm Tengoku could still make it into the game, even if i don't think it's that likely nowdays, it's possible Sakurai might want to add him if they can add 12 or more non-echo newcomers in the base game.
A popular character from an indie game like Sans from Undertale, Zagreus from Hades or Hollow Knight seem possible for a base game 3rd party adition that will be cheap and hype up plenty of people.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do you think Zelda’s new Tri Staff could work as an item? I’m not sure of the practicality in a fighting game of an item that spawns random objects. Though it would be fun dropping tables and chairs on people
Maybe. Though making that Zelda's new Down B would be a good evolution of the concept, and give her more viability(though she is the most viable in her Smash competitive history in Ultimate, that would help).

There's a lot of silly enemies you could spawn. Maybe it could be closer to an AT thing, so a one-time use?

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Eh, not really. I felt it was a "now or never" thing, and clearly Nintendo chose never.
It was a never or never thing.
The new LoZ game SHOULD have been called Zelda's Awakening.
No...

Anyways ♡

RE: Sylux
Metroid already has 4 characters, which is perfectly adequate for a series of its magnitude. The stars seem to be aligning for Sylux but I don't know what he would bring that'd make him stand out and excite people.

RE: Zelda's moveset changing to incorporate echoes/her staff
We all know how Smash operates at this point. This isn't happening. I feel like summoning random objects and monsters goes against Zelda's moveset concept – a regal, magical princess.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It was a never or never thing
Remember, just because the fanbase unanimously agrees something is "realistic" doesn't mean it'll very definitely happen. Otherwise FP2 wouldn't have anyone it added except maybe...Steve? Not that I want to argue any more about more DLC happening after this. As for Zelda's moveset not changing...
Yeah I think it's a good thing it won't.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Remember, just because the fanbase unanimously agrees something is "realistic" doesn't mean it'll very definitely happen. Otherwise FP2 wouldn't have anyone it added except maybe...Steve? Not that I want to argue any more about more DLC happening after this. As for Zelda's moveset not changing...
Yeah I think it's a good thing it won't.
Steve(only one to be confirmed in negotiations during the period Pass 1 was released and negotiated for as well) and possibly one more character. Sakurai notably said "1 to 2 more characters" overall(one reasonable guess is Sephiroth would've been the other one. See below for why).

We only knew Steve was already being worked on licensing-wise thanks to interviews. Considering Sephiroth came with a sudden increase in content, he may have been the other one, since he always would require a lot more time due to how complicated SE is with licensing. The rest don't have that factor to the same degree, so it would make sense they took a shorter amount of time to negotiate. That, and we know Sora was an actual lucky addition(meaning Pass 2 almost had 5 characters as well).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Do you think Zelda’s new Tri Staff could work as an item? I’m not sure of the practicality in a fighting game of an item that spawns random objects.
Isn't that basically what the Pokeball's, Assist Trophies, Crates, Barrels and Capsules etc already do?

Anyway, I can see them use the Tri Staff to update Zelda's current Phantom Slash with it, maybe replace the Phantom with a Dark Nut that does basically the same thing as the Phantom currently does, and maybe add one or two more enemies she could summon along with it for an attack as well.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
It's easy to say a character can work but we don't know HOW they would work. Just saying they were in a fighting game already is not enough. Using a different visual novel character could give us some ideas of how Phoenix could work in a game like Smash.
The premise was Ayumi's effect on Phoenix's demand, if she is included. I contend it would be negligible, because, as people already think Phoenix is fully feasible, there are no hindrances to him her presence would remedy.

People don't need to know exactly how the character would work for them to believe they could work. All it takes is that belief to not need some (flawed) parallel to convince them. People have believed Phoenix would be able to work in Smash for a very long time. Hence him already being popular.

Even now people don't quite know how Waluigi will be implemented, because there are many options. But that doesn't matter, because people know Waluigi can be implemented. He's feasible. That's all it takes for popularity.

Now Phoenix's biggest problem are Capcom characters that outrank him, not incredulity towards his moveset. Which is another reason his popularity wouldn't really move upon Ayumi getting in. Because it doesn't actually help him where he needs it, it's not MH, RE, DMC and Chun Li getting deconfirmed.

I put the rest in a spoiler because it's ancillary to the actual point of the discussion.

Also, there are characters from the same genre that do share some elements. RPG characters (like Cloud, Hero, Joker, and Sora, characters you didn't mention for some reason) all have gauges that either changes or runs out.
If you think my point is lesser because I didn't list every RPG characters in Smash you're off base about what the point of this conversation even is. The focus here was about how unalike characters within a genre can be, meaning just looking past the character and at the genre tells you next to nothing.

Because if I did list every RPG character, there would be over a dozen that don't have this mechanic. Meanwhile characters like Little Mac, Wario, Terry, Steve, Inkling, etc. have gauges too. Because a gauge isn't an "RPG thing", gauges exist in all sorts of genres.

Fighting game characters (aside Kazuya, Ryu Ken, and Terry, characters you also didn't mention for some reason) are always facing their opponents and have command-input moves.
And by your logic Min Min should've as well. But genre is not some dogma as to how a character functions. The best way to determine how the character could work is just... analyzing the character.

So visual novels could also share some elements and Ayumi could be one that's seen as the basis for others in a way. Whatever elements she would bring from her series, it would be easier see what similar things Phoenix could bring from his own.
This is like saying Saber would tell you how Phoenix would play. This is like saying Ayumi would tell you how Monokuma would play. It makes no sense. You need to look at the actual character. Otherwise you'd think Captain Falcon is a fine basis for how you'd think the car from Stunt Race FX would play.

So let me ask you again, do you think Olimar is a useful tool in informing how Illidan Stormrage would play?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Gee, it's as if all the statements that Smash was finished with DLC after Sora actually meant Smash was finished with DLC after Sora.

Who would've thought?
You would think so?

Can't wait for the "surprise" for when Smash 6 rolls around and turns out be new game and not a port of Ultimate

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Warning Issued
Gee, it's as if all the statements that Smash was finished with DLC after Sora actually meant Smash was finished with DLC after Sora.

Who would've thought?
Which I am perfectly fine with, but people can still have hope, you know. You're not a prophet of everything to come with Smash just because you got a couple characters you wanted and oh dang I'm arguing about whether or not more DLC is possible again when I said I didn't want to and I was satisfied with the Direct anyway.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
You would think so?

Can't wait for the "surprise" for when Smash 6 rolls around and turns out be new game and not a port of Ultimate
I feel like there's absolutely no correlation here. Smash Ultimate was said to have been finished multiple times after Sora. We were explicitly told no more updates were on the way. What does this have to do with the form Smash 6 will take (port/new game), a game that is not even confirmed to exist & that we know nothing about?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I feel like there's absolutely no correlation here. Smash Ultimate was said to have been finished multiple times after Sora. We were explicitly told no more updates were on the way. What does this have to do with the form Smash 6 will take (port/new game), a game that is not even confirmed to exist & that we know nothing about?
Correlation of wishful thinking opposed to the reality that will be set. We were also explicitly told that Everyone is Here was difficult to pull off and won't return next game either.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Correlation of wishful thinking opposed to the reality that will be set.
I feel like this would just be another example, like characters after Sora, of the fanbase's headcanon deviating from evidence/lack thereof and letting them down. There was never any indication or evidence Smash 6 would be a port of Ultimate, that's just something part of the fanbase holds out hope for.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Who would've thought?
Indeed. Of course, many just refuse to accept the truth despite being stated multiple times.

Besides, a port of Ultimate wouldn't be the same as Ultimate having more DLC, so it doesn't matter when people at least make that argument in comparison to constantly justify a fun idea(that couldn't happen at this point). While, yes, I get people wanted more DLC(that's fine), there's a difference between hope and refusing to accept reality. Hope died a long time ago after the first statement(and even moreso when he double downed on it. Nintendo didn't change their mind either, to pretty much make that clear). It's always possible Sakurai makes a statement but things change after(things are not hard set in stone immediately. You never know), but the fact he kept saying that means it quite clearly was not happening.

It doesn't take much to realize multiple statements nixed that idea in the bud. And let's be honest; I would've loved certain characters too~ But hey, I knew it wasn't happening once Sora hit. Honestly, the only surprising thing was Sora getting an amiibo(the not surprising part is how limited of a release it is, moreso than many others XD).

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I think Sylux's chances have definitely improved... but they were pretty bad before, ngl.

The problem comes from my assumption that the base roster was chosen last year (that's when I think development started), which might not line up for him. And sure he can be DLC, but one, based on when MP4 is coming out and when Smash 6 likely comes out, that still might not align very well. And two, I think the DLC selection process would have to change, because Metroid isn't usually the kind of series that would get a DLC newcomer.

That said, it doesn't make me think we'll get Raven Beak or anything. Regardless of Sylux, Raven Beak is still a one-off in a series that just got two newcomers. So the series doesn't seem like it'd be high priority for a newcomer anyway, but even more so when the selection (pre-Sylux) isn't stellar.

And gotta remember Japan is also doing the series no favors Smash-wise.

Now, if Raven Beak somehow returns in the rumored Metroid 6 from MS, which will probably arrive a year or two after MP4 (if real), then I think the scales get more balanced, and things between the two become more interesting. Especially if ZSS and/or DS get cut, lowering Metroid's count.

Nickthebrick1

Smash Cadet
I think Sylux's chances have definitely improved... but they were pretty bad before, ngl.

The problem comes from my assumption that the base roster was chosen last year (that's when I think development started), which might not line up for him. And sure he can be DLC, but one, based on when MP4 is coming out and when Smash 6 likely comes out, that still might not align very well. And two, I think the DLC selection process would have to change, because Metroid isn't usually the kind of series that would get a DLC newcomer.

That said, it doesn't make me think we'll get Raven Beak or anything. Regardless of Sylux, Raven Beak is still a one-off in a series that just got two newcomers. So the series doesn't seem like it'd be high priority for a newcomer anyway, but even more so when the selection (pre-Sylux) isn't stellar.

And gotta remember Japan is also doing the series no favors Smash-wise.

Now, if Raven Beak somehow returns in the rumored Metroid 6 from MS, which will probably arrive a year or two after MP4 (if real), then I think the scales get more balanced, and things between the two become more interesting. Especially if ZSS and/or DS get cut, lowering Metroid's count.
What about Kraid? He's been in multiple games and is a recurring boss. What about Mother Brain too?

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Metroid already has 4 characters, which is perfectly adequate for a series of its magnitude. The stars seem to be aligning for Sylux but I don't know what he would bring that'd make him stand out and excite people.
I mean, i'm sure plenty of 10 year olds would think Sylux is badass....you're understimating his reach a bit.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
What about Kraid? He's been in multiple games and is a recurring boss. What about Mother Brain too?
Despite their series importance I think those two pose the question of feasibility, which has resulted in almost zero requests for either and probably Sakurai also not considering them seriously. He only came around on Ridley due to the interminable demand, which these two don't have.

I mean, i'm sure plenty of 10 year olds would think Sylux is badass....you're understimating his reach a bit.
But that's not a trait unique to Sylux, plenty of options would find fans after the fact. So it wouldn't elevate him above others.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
The premise was Ayumi's effect on Phoenix's demand, if she is included. I contend it would be negligible, because, as people already think Phoenix is fully feasible, there are no hindrances to him her presence would remedy.

People don't need to know exactly how the character would work for them to believe they could work. All it takes is that belief to not need some (flawed) parallel to convince them. People have believed Phoenix would be able to work in Smash for a very long time. Hence him already being popular.

Even now people don't quite know how Waluigi will be implemented, because there are many options. But that doesn't matter, because people know Waluigi can be implemented. He's feasible. That's all it takes for popularity.

Now Phoenix's biggest problem are Capcom characters that outrank him, not incredulity towards his moveset. Which is another reason his popularity wouldn't really move upon Ayumi getting in. Because it doesn't actually help him where he needs it, it's not MH, RE, DMC and Chun Li getting deconfirmed.
Actually, they do need to know how they would work for the kind of game that's being discussed. Mainly for accuracy sake. Saying Phoenix works because he was in UMvC3 doesn't really say anything other than just he can work in a fighting game. That's really it. It doesn't say how he would work in Smash specifically.

As of right now, we have yet to see visual novel characters in Smash but if a character like Ayumi makes it in, I think the demand for more well-known characters will increase a lot more. One thing is that can't be denied is that AA is one of the most popular series of that genre and if visual novel elements are brought with a character, I think Phoenix's name will pop up a lot more often after that.

I put the rest in a spoiler because it's ancillary to the actual point of the discussion.

If you think my point is lesser because I didn't list every RPG characters in Smash you're off base about what the point of this conversation even is. The focus here was about how unalike characters within a genre can be, meaning just looking past the character and at the genre tells you next to nothing.

Because if I did list every RPG character, there would be over a dozen that don't have this mechanic. Meanwhile characters like Little Mac, Wario, Terry, Steve, Inkling, etc. have gauges too. Because a gauge isn't an "RPG thing", gauges exist in all sorts of genres.

And by your logic Min Min should've as well. But genre is not some dogma as to how a character functions. The best way to determine how the character could work is just... analyzing the character.

This is like saying Saber would tell you how Phoenix would play. This is like saying Ayumi would tell you how Monokuma would play. It makes no sense. You need to look at the actual character. Otherwise you'd think Captain Falcon is a fine basis for how you'd think the car from Stunt Race FX would play.

So let me ask you again, do you think Olimar is a useful tool in informing how Illidan Stormrage would play?
The point of the conversation is about characters bringing elements from their genre. It's pretty obvious what the conversation was. Cloud, Joker, Hero, and Sora were four obvious examples of what I was saying, as in characters that brings elements from the RPG genre. Hero has all what the other three has. They should have been easy from the start, yet you ignored them for Sephiroth and Jigglypuff? That's very strange.

Yes, elements exists in all sorts of things, including RPGs. It was just an example of what RPG games have and in Smash, notice how four RPG characters from different series have gauges? So that's all I was saying.

As for fighting games, you said Kazuya but if you did understand my logic, Ryu, Ken, and Terry should have came to your mind first and yet, you ignored all three for Min Min? That really doesn't sound right. It's very strange that the characters do fit my point, you keep leaving out. This is not an honest approach here.

I really know nothing about World of Warcraft characters, so I don't know. But let me ask you something; if Sol Badguy were to be a character, would he share the same elements as Ryu, Ken, Terry, and Kazuya?

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I really enjoyed the direct personally. I was expecting little, and it was relatively tame, but a lot of the content interested me regardless. Mario + Luigi is peak, Prime 4 actually exists, the Zelda game looks pretty good, MvC2 exists again, and I reeeaallllyy was happy with Mario Party. Probably a weird game to be the most excited over but I love the inclusion of Western Land so much. It's tied with Horror Land for being like the best board ever imo, it's fantastic, absolutely looking forward to that.

You know, I never thought the "too big" thing was reasonable for Ridley. You can scale him down and lose very little of what makes him appealing, and we even saw him scaled down in the Melee intro. Not trying to be a detractor but like, now that I think of it, isn't Kraid actually, genuinely too big? He's not Ridley, poor guy would look ridiculous if we scaled him down any of his non-NES designs. And like, the NES design exists, but I feel like that's not what people think of or care for when they're thinking about Kraid either. I think Kraid's cool but like, given they already used "TOO BIG" as an argument against a Metroid character where it was waaaaaaaaay less justifiable, can't help but feel Kraid is doomed here.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
You know, I never thought the "too big" thing was reasonable for Ridley. You can scale him down and lose very little of what makes him appealing, and we even saw him scaled down in the Melee intro. Not trying to be a detractor but like, now that I think of it, isn't Kraid actually, genuinely too big? He's not Ridley, poor guy would look ridiculous if we scaled him down any of his non-NES designs. And like, the NES design exists, but I feel like that's not what people think of or care for when they're thinking about Kraid either. I think Kraid's cool but like, given they already used "TOO BIG" as an argument against a Metroid character where it was waaaaaaaaay less justifiable, can't help but feel Kraid is doomed here.

That's why you use Fake Kraid.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ridley's issue wasn't too big. It was that his proportions and limbs are hard to scale down and make work properly. That's why none of the mods could balance him well. He got a new model for Ultimate that fixed this issue.

Kraid ironically is less of an issue in that regard, due to a more simple body shape. His tail isn't long, nor does he have crazy wings. But yeah, he's not really requested much at all. Mother Brain isn't either(but she's always not very interesting in her monster form. In her brain in a jar form, she has actual characterization to begin with, especially thanks to the Manga. So that one is way more memorable. It also helps that a decently popular show went with that concept and made her more than a pure monster. They did little to alleviate her monstrous personality in the games either way, with only a mirror character(Other M) showing something unique). So while she's cool, actually finding a way to make her interesting but also stand out well is not as easy. Coupled with not that many boss fights throughout the series(for the core big bad, she's rather underutilized), well.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Some things never change.

People say Kraid or Mother Brain "can't work" when the only characters that truly "can't work" in Smash is anyone that Nintendo can't get the license to.

Steve's inclusion necessitated a rework of every stage in the game, I highly doubt if they wanted to try a supermassive character it would be any more difficult. We have supermassive characters in platform fighters like Iron Giant in Multiverus and the Torment in Rushdown Revolt.

1718758479774.png
1718758609781.png

I don't doubt for a second the Smash team's ability to problem solve for edge cases that can occur with giant characters, like if they have to maneuver through an enclosed space the size of Temple's fight club. They can work it out and I'm sure that there isn't anything they can't work out, excluding ideas that the hardware physically cannot handle like 3DS Icies or Rex with Pyra.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
To be honest i think characters like Raven Beak are only happening if the next game has like 12-14 non-echo newcomers like usual and not a smaller amount like Ultimate.
I honestly don't see why Raven Beak can't be added if they can add plenty of newcomers base game, is not like they're as limited in this scenario, they can afford to add some curveballs like Raven Beak.
Yes, i guess begin a one-off is a hit for his chances, but i don't think it's a final nail in the coffin either, just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen.
Also Metroid having 4 unique reps and a echo is completely fine, i don't think it's pushing it, it's Metroid....a very iconic and popular series.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I would guess that Sakurai would consider Kraid too big.

However, I actually don't think it would look too bad scaled down. He's a big boy for sure but at least roughly humanoid in body type. In any case, if one was somehow forced into adding Kraid to Smash, I feel like there is something there moveset-wise as a mobility-challenged heavy with an arsenal of unconventional projectiles and some brutal melee swings which could be devastating for the opponent if Kraid can land them.

The problem with Kraid, though, other than feasibility issues and a lack of apparent motivation to expend the effort on resolving them, is his role importance. Yes, he recurs, but only as an early-/mid-game one-timer boss; the track record for those in Smash is not very good. Every game he's in has, frankly, a better villain above him.

I do really like Kraid, but ultimately I think a stage hazard/boss on Brinstar is probably a good place for him to be.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something to also keep in mind is that giant enemies don't work that well in Smash due to things like Blast Zones.

This is actually notable in Smash Remix, as Giant DK is very buggy in general, actually being lighter than other variants, and having a lot of gameplay issues. This could be part of why Giga Bowser isn't playable as well. And we also saw bugs with his size, sometimes being sucked into the blast zone way too easily while jumping(this is ignoring that he's given boss traits that would be removed if he was playable, like being immune to throws, of course).

So it makes sense everyone is reduced to a degree(and we do see how jank the Super Mushrooms can be or simply using the mode options to enlarge a character). It's not meant to be a normal size nor is it meant to be balanced.

So yes, reducing their size is actually necessary for balancing reasons. They're funny things, but do not work well anyway. Also, keep in mind other games are different kind of engines and may incorporate different programming that takes care of issues in a way Smash isn't designed for. It's not that they're bad ideas at all, it's just that they don't translate well. Size does matter.

Anyway, part of Kraid's issue is a pretty severe lack of unique animations. His boss fight is extremely limited, so making a feasible moveset is a lot harder due to a massive lack of material. Mother Brain suffers in a similar way, though putting her in some kind of mech while as the Brain in a Jar version does alleviate that. Her monstrous form also can move just fine, though isn't, as I said, heavily utilized to have a much cleaner moveset concept. As for Captain N, it's a fun memorable thing and all, and despite Nintendo owning it, it also was not often faithful to many characters. So outright using designs from them isn't really the most logical thing to do. Hell, the CD-i Zelda games had sometimes more faithful designs(despite the jankiness of them, you can clearly tell who they are). That, and keep in mind they're based upon much older designs too, so Ridley looks way more like his older artwork than his more updated designs(which Smash works with instead).

Another factor is that Captain N is long forgotten, and outside of DiC having the exclusive rights to release the show, it's pretty much ignored by Nintendo too. Most likely due to the hefty amount of issues it has(Samus being actually worse than her Other M incarnation personality-wise. Yes, it's crazy. While she's a bit off in Other M, these aren't actually that unbelievable. Having PTSD from seeing Ridley makes a ton of sense. He caused tons of trauma for her. Her reminiscing about the Baby Metroid is absolutely a normal thing anyone would do. It was very special to her. Adam was her commanding Officer. Her following orders isn't weird either, though him being a bleh person is more of the issue on its own. His decisions are pretty damn stupid at times, so it's not that Samus shouldn't respect him so much as he's given a bad personality to justify it. It's still awful writing in that regard, but not as damning as being exaggerated as). As for the Comic, Samus has never been a person who suddenly has romance on the mind. Her suddenly fighting with Lana over Kevin's affection is far more massively out of character than what Other M did. She's still a trained person in military affairs, and she's still a regular sentient being with feelings and trauma. Other M just portrayed it badly, yeah. Hopefully they learn to do a bit of a better job at it, but still make it clear she's a person, not an empty shell. That's the only reason I like that she was given more emotion outside of the manga. It made sense.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t buy the argument that it’s too late for Sylux. First, Sylux is an existing character so it’s not quite the same as if he was completely new to Prime 4. Second, Prime 4 has been in development for several years now and there’s a good chance Sakurai had at least some knowledge of what they had planned for the character if Nintendo wanted him in the next Smash.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Kraid is a case of people confusing appearing in multiple games for actually being important. Kraids a nice familiar face, but he ain't important. He's just a recurring boss. The closest thing of anything really noteworthy he does was show up as a Zombie fusion for Dreads endgame, which was frankly kinda random.

Making Kraid playable would be the equivalent of making Whisky Woods or Kracko playable, I mean yeah you could, but why would you?

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Kraid is a case of people confusing appearing in multiple games for actually being important. Kraids a nice familiar face, but he ain't important. He's just a recurring boss. The closest thing of anything really noteworthy he does was show up as a Zombie fusion for Dreads endgame, which was frankly kinda random.

Making Kraid playable would be the equivalent of making Whisky Woods or Kracko playable, I mean yeah you could, but why would you?
...to be fair, playable Whispy Woods or Kracko would go unbelievably hard.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don’t buy the argument that it’s too late for Sylux. First, Sylux is an existing character so it’s not quite the same as if he was completely new to Prime 4. Second, Prime 4 has been in development for several years now and there’s a good chance Sakurai had at least some knowledge of what they had planned for the character if Nintendo wanted him in the next Smash.
Sylux has been virtually dormant for over a decade and the crux of his existence is that we know little about him and would learn that information in the future. He's a character built around the promise of more and doesn't have much to him otherwise.

Also, that requires a few assumptions. For example, would Nintendo push for him in the next Smash? They have added promotional characters, but they've predominantly been in rotating casts like FE or Pokemon, of which Metroid is not. Additionally, would Sakurai really know that much about Prime 4? There have been cases where he isn't aware of something in development, such as the Shadow Dragon remake for Brawl, and Prime 4 has had a turbulent development that could make any information coming out of it even less stable. Plus, the language barrier is an admitted issue and trying to jump through that hurdle on top of having to keep track of any developmental changes may be too much.

There is a possibility, but considering previous precedence and the potential hurdles with the circumstances it's not something that should really be counted on.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never liked the argument of "why would you?" because that wasn't the point. It's just a matter of having fun discussing it. Obviously some won't get in for various reasons. Mostly time and development.

Kraid is cool. He's one of the more iconic faces in Metroid on its own, along with Ridley, Samus, and Mother Brain. Later characters also add to this, with Sylux and Dark Samus. Chozo somewhat falls into this, and you have the general Space Pirate design, but also stuff like Raven Beak is headed that way.

You don't need much to work. Being a sillier character is fine. The problem is "what can we make a moveset out of", which, well, is harder on Kraid than some. That's really why it's hard to get behind him because he doesn't really have much to work with. Mother Brain may be similar, but she has longer boss fights, more moves, and non-canon materials to look at for at least some potential. Kraid does have a more humanoidish form, sure, but can you tie it in well at all?
Mother Brain having either a tank or access to some kind of mechanical weaponry is actually within the logic. She doesn't have to be more than the monstrous form, but she's able to command the Metroid through various powers, and is a computer, so her accessing machinery as minor summons for some attacks is something you could feasibly work with.

That's the only reason why the "tank mech" idea wasn't remotely farfetched(and to be honest, a genius way Captain N did it. It was actually a great way to incorporate her character without outright losing her essence. I mean, the show wasn't great, though it gave her a fun personality that was simply less evil than her canon one. She was still an abusive power hungry madwoman with conquering on her mind. She's unironically really faithful to her character while toned down for Saturday Morning. ...Unlike many others, hoo boy. That said, the only real thing they did to her main design is just give her a more visible face so she could interact with the cast).

Anyway, if they ever give Kraid some more boss monsters, he could be really neat. But as of now, he has such little to work with that it's really not easy to imagine a decent moveset. Being a reasonably well known character isn't enough on its own. That's part of why others are more popular choices. They tend to stick out more with something you could work with. Even generic enemies can sometimes be more notable for either having more animations, sub-species that add to the moveset concepts well(like what they did with PP), or sometimes have a specific version that made them lovable(I.E. Goombario, the original Yoshi stood out as a character in other materials as well. Toad compared to the general species is popular because he has individuality(and a unique name in Japan), and then you got tons of other notable Toads, before Captain Toad even came, etc).

Ivander

Smash Legend
This gave me a laugh, but knowing Nintendo, something like this might happen in Echoes of Wisdom.

Obviously, she's going to save him, but similar to how in the Super Mario Odyssey final battle, Mario used Cappy to possess Bowser to carry Peach out of the rooms that were breaking down, I can also see Zelda having to copy Link during the Final Battle to fight against whatever trick Ganon pulls off. And boy if that happens, I can already see the memes and whatnot from that.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
We were also explicitly told that Everyone is Here was difficult to pull off and won't return next game either.
No you weren't.

"However, I think that “Everyone is here!” is something that won’t be repeated. Anything is possible, of course, so I can’t rule anything out entirely, but I still think this won’t happen again."

He literally says it's possible(though doubtful).

Last edited:
Top Bottom