• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
and yet the rex thread was more active than the pyra/mythra. nothing stop the smash fandom from asking for what they want. if they wanted the pair of them then surely barely anyone got what they wanted cause that's not what we have.

what's min min got to do with this?

was high. everyone now pretending they never asked for him
Just that both are examples of the less obvious character making it in that I ended up liking more than what everyone was predicting.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Is Xenoblade really gonna be the new Fire Emblem? Where it has like 15 characters, half of them are clones or semi-clones of one guy, and everyone’s all pissed off?

So far the series got one character in 4 and one (sort of) character in Ultimate. It’s got more in common with Animal Crossing than Fire Emblem in that regard.
Yeah, I highly doubt we'll see Xenoblade get Fire Emblem'd. FE has a lot more games than Xeno, and a lot of those games starsword Lords with similar builds and weapons, meaning there's just far more potential for clones. And it's also worth noting that Lucina was the most popular Awakening character, Roy came back because of fan demand, and Chrom was added for the ballot.

Xenoblade has some feasible Echoes, but as far as I know none of them have the same demand. The most feasible characters are Noah and Mio at the moment, and if we get one I have a feeling the fourth XBC rep would be the other. That leaves us with four fighters, one of which has a stance system, and I don't think there's any more likely characters until a hypothetical Xenoblade Chronicles 4

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was predicting min min after we got told we were getting an arms character
I was predicting Spring Man before we got told we were getting an Arms character.

After we got told we were getting an Arms character, I predicted it would be anyone BUT Spring Man. Because, why would they act like it was a mystery who it could be if it was just going to be the MC?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
and yet the rex thread was more active than the pyra/mythra. nothing stop the smash fandom from asking for what they want. if they wanted the pair of them then surely barely anyone got what they wanted cause that's not what we have.
Smashboards Thread traffic is an infamously bad metric for gauging popularity as it's often the same people posting over and over again, or using it as a social thread which they're not supposed to do.

The Daisy thread, especially, was REALLY bad with this. Not only did they spam it to hell and back by using it as a social, but a lot of the frequent posters ended up being the alt accounts of one or two people, despite claiming to be like five or six. And that's without including the guy who kept making alts to evade bans.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Smashboards Thread traffic is an infamously bad metric for gauging popularity as it's often the same people posting over and over again, or using it as a social thread which they're not supposed to do.

The Daisy thread, especially, was REALLY bad with this. Not only did they spam it to hell and back by using it as a social, but a lot of the frequent posters ended up being the alt accounts of one or two people, despite claiming to be like five or six. And that's without including the guy who kept making alts to evade bans.
I know but my point was the smash fans will ask for what they regardless of anything else

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I put a lot of hours into Arms, I liked that game a lot, I think I ended up with over 100 hours in it. I think it had a solid core gameplay structure with a decent enough amount of depth that was let down by just a lack of content and things to do, and it's difficult to convey the depths of the mechanics for what they are in the context of it trying to be a competitive fighting game. Still, the online was surprisingly functional, still way better than Ultimate's online, and I thought Byte and Barq in particular were really fun to play. Bouncing on Barq is an addictive mechanic. I was glad the game was getting some kind of attention and resurgence when Min Min got in, and I like her as an addition on paper. All that is to say that if she sticks around I really hope they change up her moveset lol. She is so unfun to fight against and not that much fun to play either. In Street Fighter, Dhalsim is kind of annoying but a necessary part of the game balance and character diversity, but in Smash that exact archetype doesn't work nearly as well in the context of how much screen space and verticality you have. A lot of this could be fixed by having actually good online and input delay, but there's still an issue of it just not being any fun to fight against someone who has stage-wide disjoints and can send out attacks for seemingly little cost from the opponent's perspective. As it stands, I would rather ZSS and Shiek stick around because they're much more fun to play and much more fundamental archetypes with instant appeal.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
All of these cement her as incredibly likely to come back, in my eyes, or even be one of the first veterans confirmed for next time.
Eh...i still see her as a likely cut if there's a bigger amount of cuts as usual, ARMS might be a succeful IP but it's not popular at all, game got forgotten pretty quick, i don't mind her returning, but you're overselling her a bit, i feel.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Regarding Xenoblade, I tried the first a while back but I didn't like the MMO combat and lack of movement options. That said, I was super impatient and twitchy at the time, so I might not've been in the right mindset. My brother played it a lot later and said he loved it so I might give it another shot when (or if) I have the time
Regardless on your opinion of the series I do think we can all agree that having the Mobius battle theme in the next game is definitely something to look forward to (unless they gut it because it's 5 minutes long or something).
Man, can we just normalize orchestral songs having rock drum sets? I find a lot of orchestrated music can loose me if it doesn't have a good melody, but the drums give it a good kick that makes the composition that much stronger

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

IIRC the Kazuya thread had like 11 posts total before the character was announced lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hate to hijack the topic but I've brewed up a Smash roster, feel free to roast me over itView attachment 389796
It's... Not exactly for Smash 6. You could probably treat it as a Smash 6 roster, but more than anything I set out to create a Switch-centric Smash roster. Every Smash game ends up a sort of period piece in hindsight, with certain choices only making sense in that era (Jigglypuff in 64, Roy in Melee, Ike and Lucas in Brawl, Palutena and Corrin in 4). However, Ultimate dropped that in favor of being The Smash Game Ever, settling the roster before there was even a Switch to speak of, prioritizing veterans above all else, and dedicating what little newcomers it had to ballot votes and Echoes. Then the DLC jumped to big hype third-parties, with only a couple of Switch era characters who probably would've been in the base game of a normal Smash installment.

Since we're nearing the end of the Switch, I decided to set up a roster that acts as a time capsule of the Switch's library, like a normal Smash game would've been. I workedon the following criteria:
  • The roster will have 60 fighters exactly (Sans Echoes, who aren't full fighters and are treated as bonuses)
  • Each series will have a maximum of five fighters (Again, not counting Echoes). Mario cheats this rule because every other Mario character seems to have a series of their own
  • As mentioned before, characters who have Switch releases are prioritized. That said, I tried to preserve fighters from dormant series, especially ones that are strongly established in Smash already
  • The roster was originally made as a sort of soft reboot; What Smash would look like if it was made today. I ended up going back to preserve more veterans who aren't that relevant nowadays, but you can see traces of the mentality in some of the series reps, mainly Fire Emblem and Pokemon's rep revamps
  • Nintendo characters are prioritized; Third-parties are treated as guest fighters, as they were before Ultimate. Focus is aimed at games and companies that have had a strong Nintendo presence during the Switch era
  • A more expansive character creator would be implemented separately from the roster, so I wouldn't worry about the Mii Fighters-as-custom character
  • Also: Echo Fighters are denoted by an asterik at the start of their name, though it might be a bit hard to make out. I also tried to get each fighter next to the characters from the same series, so the arrangement ended up kinda janky. There's probably a better way to implement that idea, looking back on it
Originally I was aiming for 50 fighters, but I realized I'd be left with some nasty cuts, so I cheated and raised the bar to 55 (And then the roster maker only made perfect rectangles, so I took the chance to throw in five more characters just for fun).

So yeah. Feel free to give feedback
Oh yeah, wanted to mentioned I went back and revised this
FixedHyperSmash.png

Mainly I just wanted to go back and revise the ordering, since the previous one ended up a bit funky. While I was at it, I realized that Greninja was super popular and probably not someone I should risk cutting, and that the Sprigatito line was the new face of the Pokemon anime, so I reasoned they'd probably be the designated ScVi rep. It's sad to see Dracovish and Tinkaton go, but I feel this makes Pokemon's representation stronger overall.

Pokemon has been the biggest headache in making this roster, because A: All the Pokemon added have been pretty popular representatives of their generation (Short of Jigglypuff and Pichu, and even Jiggly has some defenders for being part of the OG 12), and B: The self-imposed five fighters limit (Minus Echoes) meant someone had to go regardless, so something had to give. It doesn't help that I've been kinda out of Pokemon lately, so I've been trying to remember exactly which Pokemon are the super duper marketable popular ones again

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Oh yeah, wanted to mentioned I went back and revised this
View attachment 390031
Mainly I just wanted to go back and revise the ordering, since the previous one ended up a bit funky. While I was at it, I realized that Greninja was super popular and probably not someone I should risk cutting, and that the Sprigatito line was the new face of the Pokemon anime, so I reasoned they'd probably be the designated ScVi rep. It's sad to see Dracovish and Tinkaton go, but I feel this makes Pokemon's representation stronger overall.

Pokemon has been the biggest headache in making this roster, because A: All the Pokemon added have been pretty popular representatives of their generation (Short of Jigglypuff and Pichu, and even Jiggly has some defenders for being part of the OG 12), and B: The self-imposed five fighters limit (Minus Echoes) meant someone had to go regardless, so something had to give. It doesn't help that I've been kinda out of Pokemon lately, so I've been trying to remember exactly which Pokemon are the super duper marketable popular ones again
God I'm sick of starters getting a free promotion due to being starters. One of them is always guaranteed heavy promotion in the concurrent anime of it's generation. Other pokemon are basically screwed getting any spot in smash unless your movie baby lucario

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I wonder what the roster would look like if Pokémon operated like how other franchises do in Smash
I briefly considered that - Focus specifically on whoever Game Freak keeps marketing plus the token new gen Pokemon. We'd definitely see Pikachu and Eevee, probably at least Charizard if not the whole Kanto trio, and Greninja was voted the most popular Pokemon (At least at one point). After that I couldn't say, I haven't been super big into Pokemon for a while. I'd need an expert to explain the rest to me

That said I would hope that Big Marketable Favorites club includes one of the sharks. Because of reasons.
1716773390479.png
1716773424396.png

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wonder what the roster would look like if Pokémon operated like how other franchises do in Smash
Honestly? Not that different.

Despite what people say, most of the Pokemon would still be here.
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer: - Did not have promotion as the main reason for their inclusion
:ultlucario::ultgreninja: - Regardless, two of the most popular Pokemon ever.
:ultincineroar: - Odd one out?

We may have seen more Gen 1 Pokemon like :133::094::035:, but I'm pretty confident most of the Pokemon would still be there.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I briefly considered that - Focus specifically on whoever Game Freak keeps marketing plus the token new gen Pokemon. We'd definitely see Pikachu and Eevee, probably at least Charizard if not the whole Kanto trio, and Greninja was voted the most popular Pokemon (At least at one point). After that I couldn't say, I haven't been super big into Pokemon for a while. I'd need an expert to explain the rest to me

That said I would hope that Big Marketable Favorites club includes one of the sharks. Because of reasons.
View attachment 390032View attachment 390033
Hi hello, resident Pokemon Master speaking.

Lucario and Mewtwo are both still considered really big deals, so they'd probably still around. Incineroar most likely wouldn't be, sadly. And aside from that...a fan favorite or two like Gengar, Garchomp, Blaziken, or maybe even Tinkaton or Gholdengo if they wanted to go with a newer hit.

And perhaps that'd allow room for a WTF pick here and there. So I dunno maybe Shuckle gets the nod.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

So like, the same user was sitting in a thread being like "I had waffles today." "OMG same!"?

Wat?

:ultincineroar: - Odd one out?
Honestly, it took a while (or maybe it just took a while for me to notice) but Incineroar turned out to be a pretty big deal too. He's still more decisive, and his initial perception was super negative, but he's a huge staple in the competitive scene.

INB4 they add Landerous T. :4pacman:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm actually quite upset with how Pokémon gets new reps. There's so many Pokémon that I want to see in the game, but I know they'll never be added. There's so many unique ideas for fighters in this franchise.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, it took a while (or maybe it just took a while for me to notice) but Incineroar turned out to be a pretty big deal too. He's still more decisive, and his initial perception was super negative, but he's a huge staple in the competitive scene.
Ah yes, we do stan the tiger of the healthy meta.

He's everywhere, but he's the glue that prevents things from getting too crazy. He's also flexible enough that he isn't the same moveset every single time.

:ultincineroar:Incineroar is a good thing for Pokemon competitive.:ultincineroar:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm actually quite upset with how Pokémon gets new reps. There's so many Pokémon that I want to see in the game, but I know they'll never be added. There's so many unique ideas for fighters in this franchise.
To be fair, the characters we've got are fairly unique in the context of Super Smash Bros., it's just that they're not the picks that we would pick since we aren't worried about people knowing who they are; Our target audience is us, and maybe the wider fanbase, while their target audience is everyone. And since Pokémon has so many creature designs, you could probably pick one at random and make something cool out of it. For example:

loads up random number generator

looks up Pokémon #680

OK I was hoping for something funny, but Doublade is so close to something a fan would actually pick. They could be pretty neat though if you didn't care that they weren't Aegislash so I guess my point is proven...

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Ah yes, we do stan the tiger of the healthy meta.

He's everywhere, but he's the glue that prevents things from getting too crazy. He's also flexible enough that he isn't the same moveset every single time.

:ultincineroar:Incineroar is a good thing for Pokemon competitive.:ultincineroar:
Incineroar is everyone's best friend.

Because Doubles.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
The starter thing sucks especially combined with anime stuff which is why I feel like Meowscarada is likely since Liko has a Floragato at this point.

I still really hope Ogerpon is the new Pokemon character because her special Terastal Form feels like it suits a Final Smash more imo instead of just "put flower on cat's head and fire laser", though Meowscarada would also probably have a fun normal moveset, plus Ogerpon's masks basically give you three free recolors/alts.

I also just really like Ogerpon and wanna see her run around and beat people up with her cudgel.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Garchomp was top ten in the big PotY poll. Would've handily won Sinnoh except that Lucario exists.

Out of the mega-popular mons, it is definitely one of the easiest to translate to Smash, for whatever that's worth.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Garchomp was top ten in the big PotY poll. Would've handily won Sinnoh except that Lucario exists.

Out of the mega-popular mons, it is definitely one of the easiest to translate to Smash, for whatever that's worth.
Being the ace of one of the series's most popular and iconic Champions is why Garchomp is so popular.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

Can the same be said about reddit traffic? Reddit seems to be where most of TF2 supporters populate, but outside there, they don't seem that numerous to say the least.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Pokemon, do you guys remember "Pokken"?
I still remember when Chandelure got revealed and i was like "damn, that must be the weirdest fighter i've seen". Of course that was like 2 years before Plant got revealed, haha.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I still remember when Chandelure got revealed and i was like "damn, that must be the weirdest fighter i've seen". Of course that was like 2 years before Plant got revealed, haha.
In another universe there's a Pic of the Day where a Mii that looks like Cia is posed to look like she's swinging from a Chandelure.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Pokken 2 is getting announced any day now.

Totally :nifty:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
That isn’t true either, I’m just saying a new game isn’t assurance on its own that we should expect anything. Major releases sometimes affect character additions, sometimes they don’t. Once upon a time Sheik and Zero Suit Samus were benefactors from this. Someone like Wolf slides in because Star Fox had been getting new games at the time. Palutena in Smash 4, Isabelle in Ultimate… Mario in every game.

I don’t even think Fire Emblem and Xenoblade are guaranteed anything if the timing doesn’t line up. Engage’s success was moderate at best / would be too late to be a hot promo pick and we really have to stop coming to conclusions about Xenoblade after only two characters. Noah and Mio aren’t as widely popular as Pyra and Mythra were.
That's right, I don't really expect a character from Engage either. But from the game after that? Guaranteed. The timing always lines up for Fire Emblem.
Xenoblade has less precedent but I can't see why it wouldn't work the same. Pokémon and even Mother while it was still getting games follow(ed) the same approach.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do we think new amiibo will be released for newcomers of the next smash for switch 2?
If the next system uses amiibo, then yes. We have no real information on it beyond minor leaks and maybe some specs.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, though. But after a while, amiibo weren't nearly as prevalent. That said, they are still getting quite a bit of use in various games, so I doubt it's going to be gone next system.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Remember?
I'm still in the Pokken mines... waiting for a sequel...
1716783829777.png

Anyways, hot-take, Pokken's depiction of any Pokemon already present in Smash is so significantly cooler, it's not even funny.
Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, and Mewtwo are THE coolest they've ever been in that game and it's a shame that people don't talk about it that much.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Anyways, hot-take, Pokken's depiction of any Pokemon already present in Smash is so significantly cooler, it's not even funny.
Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, and Mewtwo are THE coolest they've ever been in that game and it's a shame that people don't talk about it that much.
Don't think this is a hot take, but it is true for the most part. Aside from Pikachu, who's based off of one of the Michimas, they all have the same personality, but they're more creative with their abilities and posing and stuff, so they communicate these personalities much better.

I mean, what's a cooler image for Charizard? Getting some pets and posing with the trainer, or breathing fire everywhere and then the camera pans out to reveal he's carved the fire katakana underneath him? It's really no contest.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hi hello, resident Pokemon Master speaking.

Lucario and Mewtwo are both still considered really big deals, so they'd probably still around. Incineroar most likely wouldn't be, sadly. And aside from that...a fan favorite or two like Gengar, Garchomp, Blaziken, or maybe even Tinkaton or Gholdengo if they wanted to go with a newer hit.

And perhaps that'd allow room for a WTF pick here and there. So I dunno maybe Shuckle gets the nod.

I'm glad the Pokemon fanbase is cultured enough understand the appeal of sharks. I may now die happy and satisfied

That's right, I don't really expect a character from Engage either. But from the game after that? Guaranteed. The timing always lines up for Fire Emblem.
Xenoblade has less precedent but I can't see why it wouldn't work the same. Pokémon and even Mother while it was still getting games follow(ed) the same approach.
Yeah, Fire Emblem usually has a new game every two years (Sans the 3H-Engage gap, which would've fit the pattern had it not been for COVID), and Smash usually drops a couple years into a console's lifespan, with the roster itself settled about 2-ish years in advance. Hell, going off the pattern we'll may very well have a new Fire Emblem as a launch title for the next console, which seems like a prime setup for a new Smash rep. Poor Alear almost certainly missed the boat

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Yeah, Fire Emblem usually has a new game every two years (Sans the 3H-Engage gap, which would've fit the pattern had it not been for COVID), and Smash usually drops a couple years into a console's lifespan, with the roster itself settled about 2-ish years in advance. Hell, going off the pattern we'll may very well have a new Fire Emblem as a launch title for the next console, which seems like a prime setup for a new Smash rep. Poor Alear almost certainly missed the boat
Well that depends, because looking at the more recent titles Awakening came out in Japan in April 2012, Fates came out in Japan in July 2015 (so three years and some change), and then Three Houses had a simultaneous global release in July 2019 (four years, almost to the day). I don't doubt that COVID had some effect on Engage, I think that's been outright confirmed as far as I recall, but I'm not so sure about the whole two years thing. I know Heroes and Three Hopes and stuff are stuck in the middle there somewhere but I still don't think it comes out to two years typically.

EDIT just to cover my bases here since I looked this up at 4am: Further looking does put Fates (2015) to SoV (2017) to 3H (2019) at about that area, so that's probably it, but the Awakening to Fates gap is still there, so really there's no telling lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom