• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oh hey, that's right, I've been meaning to share something.

SEGA and their crossovers have popped up in conversations around here sometimes, and it looks like we're finally getting a new one. Prominent SEGA/Atlus leaker Midori, who's gotten a lot of stuff right lately, has posted this:
It seems that we're getting a new SEGA crossover game by way of Apple Arcade, which SEGA is currently obsessed with. They've confirmed in the replies that it's actually a tennis game, so we're getting a new one of those for the first time in 16-ish years.

As for what it'll turn out like, given it's seemingly being made by Hardlight (an England-based studio), I'd expect the (likely small) roster to hew closer to the stuff that was prominent in the All-Stars games, with maybe some Yakuza/Persona and a couple more Genesis nostalgia picks.....which is a bit unfortunate for me cause I had some issues with these games' representation and this prolly means a lot of stuff I'd want is off the table, but ah well. Still cool we might get a new one

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Ehh, I don’t feel like that’s true. There’s plenty of people who wanted Banjo, K. Rool, Ridley, Simon, and Sora who are satisfied with them. Same for the FGC characters. The blanket statement of the fanbase not knowing what it wants is kinda disingenuous. I’m pretty satisfied with all the characters I wanted and got in.
This.
Always found the "everybody wanted X and now nobody plays X!" a very weird gotcha. It might be true for an incredibly small part of the playerbase, and even there, nobody has the complete character usage stats except Nintendo.

Besides, tier lists really don't matter for the average player, even for the average 1vs1 online player. Knowing what you're doing is more important 🙏

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Out of all my MWs that got in, Little Mac is the only one that I main. His quick, powerful up-close combat style fits perfectly for me.

Mega Man is too projectile-heavy for me and so is Simon to a certain extent. Though still, I like the way they were depicted in Smash, as I always expected them to play liked their NES versions, so I'm still happy with that. I expect Hayabusa to get the same treatment if he gets in, though I have a feeling I might have an easier time with him.

So yeah, I know what I wanted and I like it.

I also expect beat'em up characters to have a similar style to Little Mac and the fighting game characters too, as in being the best up-close combat characters in the series. Those are the characters I think I would probably end up maining too.

Oh hey, that's right, I've been meaning to share something.

SEGA and their crossovers have popped up in conversations around here sometimes, and it looks like we're finally getting a new one. Prominent SEGA/Atlus leaker Midori, who's gotten a lot of stuff right lately, has posted this:
It seems that we're getting a new SEGA crossover game by way of Apple Arcade, which SEGA is currently obsessed with. They've confirmed in the replies that it's actually a tennis game, so we're getting a new one of those for the first time in 16-ish years.

As for what it'll turn out like, given it's seemingly being made by Hardlight (an England-based studio), I'd expect the (likely small) roster to hew closer to the stuff that was prominent in the All-Stars games, with maybe some Yakuza/Persona and a couple more Genesis nostalgia picks.....which is a bit unfortunate for me cause I had some issues with these games' representation and this prolly means a lot of stuff I'd want is off the table, but ah well. Still cool we might get a new one
Yeah, I saw the news about that and while I'm glad that SEGA is still doing crossovers, the Apple Arcade thing has me really concerned. A lot of people are not happy about that and I'm not surprised. SEGA needs to keep making these crossovers for the home consoles.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honest question.

I've seen Rauru on a lot of fan rosters. Is this because people actually want him or is this just an idea for a new Zelda character.

Cause I know people want Skull Kid.
I know people want Midna.
I know people want Ghirahim.
I know people want Impa.

I genuinely don't know if people want Rauru.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
He's definitely got recency bias on hand, but I'd say the desire for Rauru is pretty genuine. While people are mixed on totk's story I'm seen nothing but enjoyment for the goat (and mineru).

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Honest question.

I've seen Rauru on a lot of fan rosters. Is this because people actually want him or is this just an idea for a new Zelda character.

I know people want Impa.

I expect him more than anything, but I also think he's the best choice for a BotW/TotK character.
I didn't even particularly like TotK itself, it's the first Zelda game I couldn't bring myself to finish, but those abilities in Smash could be fun.

But yeah if it was only up to me - Skull Kid.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Honest question.

I know people want Impa.

While I can't say I want him, I'm certainly not against him. Since Link uses his arm for the abilities in TotK, he is capable of using those abilities in Smash Bros and that's not including the light magic he can use that he wrecked a stampede of Molduga with.

To sum it up, he is probably one of many other BotW/ToTK side-characters that I hope gets a rep since I really enjoyed the side characters of BotW/TotK and it has a ton that can offer a cool Smash moveset, Rauru included. So it's like, "I don't want any of them in particular over the others, I just want BotW/TotK to have one of it's non-Link/Zelda/Ganondorf side characters appear as a playable character in Smash Bros and I'd be happy if any of them got in."

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't really get it. He doesn't really DO much in the story. It seems more like people just want him to be a stand-in for TotK-based moves.

Which, I don't even get. Cause none of what's fun about those powers would be fun in Smash.

Well, except Ascend obviously. That'd be pretty OP.
knocked off stage
makes it to the underside
Ascends up through it

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don’t really know enough about Rauru to have an opinion right now, but I would much rather he adopt a lot of the TOTK wackiness than Link. If the option is update Link to do the crazy **** he can do in TOTK or channel that into another character then the latter is a far better option, since I don’t think some of those abilities gel well with Link as is.

And for what it’s worth, those powers are cool. So I’d be open to it, and I dig his design, but I’m still not 100% convinced he’s the way to go for Zelda rn.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honest question.

I know people want Impa.

hard to say really but i do get a sense it's one of those things which people are doing cause everyone else is doing it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People also need to consider the fact that sometimes, Smash just implements characters in a way that's just not fun for a fan of the character and conversely, Smash could put in a character that is just fun for a person at face value with zero attachments to the source material or character. To lambast fans for something that is completely out of their hands feels like it conflates 2 entirely different facets of Smash- the fan rallying and the gameplay preferences.

Personally speaking, I am a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts and Xenoblade, but unfortunately for me, Sakurai chose those opportunities to be experimental with their movesets, Shulk being a clunky light-switch wielder that's extremely reliant on his buffs and Sora being a hyper-floaty slow air staller, neither of which movesets appeal to the fantasy I envisioned them to have were they to be added, and thus I don't play them often but appreciate their participation.

And on the other hand, everyone I know plays Roy at least a little bit because going fast and doing a gorillion damage is fun.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honest question.

I know people want Impa.

Its probably mainly the latest flavor of the month type deal, like the champions, Ghirahim and Midna did before him during their respective Smash era's.

I guess some people assume Zelda operates under the same routines as Pokemon, Fire Emblem (and probably Xenoblade) do.

Even though Toon Link was added as the latest Zelda newcomer long after Wind Waker became irrelevant and Brawl going hard on the Twilight Princess promotions (unless you count Phantom Hourglass....)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
and conversely, Smash could put in a character that is just fun for a person at face value with zero attachments to the source material or character.
Totally. I main Mii Brawler and there's no character there for me to even care about!

So I made him into FF7 Rude and now it's both!

I'd much rather have Rauru than shoving a bunch of random TOTK gimmicks into Link's moveset.
I'd rather they just...not try and shove a bunch of random TotK gimmicks into Smash at all.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'd rather they just...not try and shove a bunch of random TotK gimmicks into Smash at all.
Because the last thing we want is Link reforging a Death's Scythe to his Master Sword giving Link a Forward Smash attack with doubled range and a Death Scythe effect. Or reforging a Beam Saber onto his Master Sword giving his Forward Smash triple the range. Or reforging a Beetle onto the next Arrow used by Link for his B-attack, giving opponent's even less time to react to getting grab and pulled off-screen. :psycho:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
As far as additional characters from BotW/TotK goes, I'd rather have any of the Champions, the other Sages, Paya, young Impa, Master Kohga, or Purah with gadgets over Rauru. I don't have anything against Rauru either, I just find the other choices to be more interesting.

As for the powers themselves, I do think Ultrahand at the very least could be brought in as a tether grab replacement for Link since he lost the Clawshot. Ascend and Recall would also be interesting to see in Smash, but at that point I think you do need to make TotK Link a separate character.

Honestly, I do think BotW and TotK offer enough content to craft two completely unique move sets for Link but adding more Links over actual new characters wouldn't go over well, especially with the number of requests only growing with each passing title.

It's a bit ironic in a way too, past Zelda titles would usually only have 1 or 2 major characters introduced to their cast, but now BotW and TotK each have 4+ each to divide the Smash requests even further.

Going back to TotK though, I'd much rather have a stage to represent it (a Depths stage would be really cool imo) and some Zonai Devices as items and stage hazards.

7NATOR

Smash Master
It might be the optimist in me speaking, but I think it's wild how people swear there's no way Square lets Cloud be part of the next Smash's base game when that's... exactly what happened last time.
I think so Long as Square gets DLC in the Next Game, everything should be fine. I think Square likes DLC due to the money it brings, But I think also because how they have their own content licensed (The Composers as an example) means they might have to do more work to ensure everything is in order.

People also need to consider the fact that sometimes, Smash just implements characters in a way that's just not fun for a fan of the character and conversely, Smash could put in a character that is just fun for a person at face value with zero attachments to the source material or character. To lambast fans for something that is completely out of their hands feels like it conflates 2 entirely different facets of Smash- the fan rallying and the gameplay preferences.

Personally speaking, I am a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts and Xenoblade, but unfortunately for me, Sakurai chose those opportunities to be experimental with their movesets, Shulk being a clunky light-switch wielder that's extremely reliant on his buffs and Sora being a hyper-floaty slow air staller, neither of which movesets appeal to the fantasy I envisioned them to have were they to be added, and thus I don't play them often but appreciate their participation.

And on the other hand, everyone I know plays Roy at least a little bit because going fast and doing a gorillion damage is fun.

Sonic is the Perfect Example of this. I can't count the number of times I've heard that Sonic is someone's Favorite character, or one of their favorites, but that his moveset and how he plays is not to their liking. Ironically People play Sonic Games to go Fast, or have the ability to go fast, yet Sonic being in the match Might most likely mean the match will take a While. Sonic is Fast in Movement, but for Casuals, his Weaker hitting Attacks means he has Slow time Killing

Which is Why if they Add Shadow, I think they should go Extreme with him and have him have the Strength and the Speed, but have him Have Extreme Weaknesses, Kind of like a car. The more Power and Speed that is being used, the more any type of Interception or Roadblock hurts. This even fits with Sonic games since Going Fasts Risks more Mistakes and potential falling in pits

For Sora and Shulk, On Sora, I actually Kind of Like how he is in Smash personally, mostly just for the fact he is more Simple in execution and that he can have alot of Air Time. Now I will say the More Faster, Flashy, Combo based versions of Sora from KH2 onwards might have been more fun, and the one I was more down for in Smash. What idea of Sora did you have in mind?

For Shulk, He does feel kind of Clunky, and part of why I have the Hot take that if there were to be only one Xenoblade Chronicles character, Then I say Pyra/Mythra -> Shulk. I think one big thing for Ultimate specifically was because they based the Monado Arts on the Hyper Monado Arts Custom move from Smash 4, They don't really last long so you can't stick with a Specfic Art for Too Long, So that adds a Necessary Learning curve I think people have a hard time getting into

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Its probably mainly the latest flavor of the month type deal, like the champions, Ghirahim and Midna did before him during their respective Smash era's.

I guess some people assume Zelda operates under the same routines as Pokemon, Fire Emblem (and probably Xenoblade) do.
I think everyone understands this isn't the case, but continues to hold out for a chance for Zelda's unlucky streak to be broken. I think the talk of Rauru (or the general idea of a BOTW / TOTK character) stems partially from a bit of a breaking point, where a new Zelda character feels entirely overdue and the series has experienced a renaissance in popularity and critical acclaim. The drive for more content feels stronger than ever.

I'm sure Zelda will eventually see a new character. But I do wonder what will have to come along to provoke it. Ultimately I think it's just going to have to boil down to either fan outcry bringing in one of the fan darlings like Skull Kid or Midna, or someone new coming along evoking some strong inspiration within Sakurai and the devs. The latter could very well happen with the staggering amount of fun quirks in TOTK, but that could very well manifest in other ways.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Because the last thing we want is Link reforging a Death's Scythe to his Master Sword giving Link a Forward Smash attack with doubled range and a Death Scythe effect. Or reforging a Beam Saber onto his Master Sword giving his Forward Smash triple the range. Or reforging a Beetle onto the next Arrow used by Link for his B-attack, giving opponent's even less time to react to getting grab and pulled off-screen. :psycho:
See, that's exactly why I think Rauru is a good idea.
This kind of stuff would be a ton of fun (with some limitations), but in order to explore it enough and make it balanced you need a new moveset. Attaching some stuff to Link wouldn't work.
But yeah, Fuse, Ascend and Rewind all lend themselves decently well to Smash. Dunno about Ultrahand though, I guess that would just become a sort of command grab or something like that.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Anyway, RE people being conservative with third parties

A big part of it I think is that there's just so much work to do on the first party side.
Numerous franchises are due or even overdue for expansion; we can list them out again if need be, but there's many. Add on top that there are a ton of first party vets people desperately want back, more than we'll be able to keep. Even further, people also want to consider more dedicated fan favorites, retros, new franchises, and such for additional spots. Quickly you wonder how many spots you can really commit to third parties.

Especially when, if we're being real, third party cuts are going to be some of the easiest for Nintendo to handwave away.
If a third party gets cut, people are just going to chalk it up to licensing matters; point is, even if some third parties simply get cut due to the resource/time crunch, or any other reasons, it's going to be extremely difficult to sustain or justify any sort of backlash reaction from fans without knowing what went on behind the scenes with various companies. Unless Nintendo comes straight out and says, "yeah, the other company was willing to comply, but the character just wasn't high priority," which clearly they would never be motivated to tell us.

And given that people are already fully expecting some vets to have to wait for DLC, third parties are pretty much the easiest to justify going that route with, as it's easier to financially please the other companies that way. We've seen how people here are reacting to the possibility of having to pay for the likes of K. Rool and Ike; probably all parties are going to be more amenable to keeping those types of guys in base but pushing some lower-priority third party to DLC instead.

Lastly, I would guess that most third parties being newer additions to the series makes them feel a little more expendable for some folks. I don't even agree with this type of thinking myself, but it may be playing a role, even subconsciously for some.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
See, that's exactly why I think Rauru is a good idea.
This kind of stuff would be a ton of fun (with some limitations), but in order to explore it enough and make it balanced you need a new moveset. Attaching some stuff to Link wouldn't work.
But yeah, Fuse, Ascend and Rewind all lend themselves decently well to Smash. Dunno about Ultrahand though, I guess that would just become a sort of command grab or something like that.
I can easily imagine uses for Recall, Ascend and Ultrahand but Fuse honestly stumps me. Is there something you have in mind for it? I just don't see how it can be implemented properly given how items operate in Smash. If it were on Link and he was basically just gluing stuff to the master sword to increase range or add projectiles to his normal swings I can kind of see that work, but how would Rauru make use of it?

Only thing I can think of is if he has a means of summoning Zonai devices and basically having the player make some DIY stage hazards. I do think something like that sounds interesting, but I don't know how well it'd work in practice. Are the devices you get random? Are normal items affected? You have to make a bunch of different combinations for everything. How does the actual building process work?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Anyway, RE people being conservative with third parties

A big part of it I think is that there's just so much work to do on the first party side.
Numerous franchises are due or even overdue for expansion; we can list them out again if need be, but there's many. Add on top that there are a ton of first party vets people desperately want back, more than we'll be able to keep. Even further, people also want to consider more dedicated fan favorites, retros, new franchises, and such for additional spots. Quickly you wonder how many spots you can really commit to third parties.

Especially when, if we're being real, third party cuts are going to be some of the easiest for Nintendo to handwave away.
If a third party gets cut, people are just going to chalk it up to licensing matters; point is, even if some third parties simply get cut due to the resource/time crunch, or any other reasons, it's going to be extremely difficult to sustain or justify any sort of backlash reaction from fans without knowing what went on behind the scenes with various companies. Unless Nintendo comes straight out and says, "yeah, the other company was willing to comply, but the character just wasn't high priority," which clearly they would never be motivated to tell us.

And given that people are already fully expecting some vets to have to wait for DLC, third parties are pretty much the easiest to justify going that route with, as it's easier to financially please the other companies that way. We've seen how people here are reacting to the possibility of having to pay for the likes of K. Rool and Ike; probably all parties are going to be more amenable to keeping those types of guys in base but pushing some lower-priority third party to DLC instead.

Lastly, I would guess that most third parties being newer additions to the series makes them feel a little more expendable for some folks. I don't even agree with this type of thinking myself, but it may be playing a role, even subconsciously for some.
Adding to this, there are so many factors with third parties (financial negotiations, relationship with Nintendo, the wishes of the character creators, rights to songs, etc) that fans will never entirely know about so it can basically feel like blind guessing at points. Konami was a company that had a big character in Brawl, nothing in 4, and then three characters (albeit one as an echo) with all sorts of Mii costumes in Ultimate. It's an odd path for a third party that I doubt most people would have predicted. I mean fans disagree now about them coming back despite Konami going all in for the Switch in its releases (Monotaro Dentetsu being the single best selling game of theirs in Japan ever).

Its why first party fighters just feel like easier ground to cover because its naturally going to be less much less work to get them, (moveset adaptability aside).

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Honest question.

I know people want Impa.

As a Zelda fan and proud quota pick hater, Rauru is an interesting case. He does feel like a character people just include because everyone else is doing it, but he has a lot of merits that don't just boil down to "he's from a recent game" "he fills X quota".

Rauru is simply a huge deal to his game. He's not a package deal like the BOTW Champions that people clung to for a while. He's an important character in his own right... I'd go as far to say that he's the only new "Era of the Wild" character who stands on his own. As the first ever King of Hyrule, only Zonai you actually see in flesh, and source of Link's new arm powers, Rauru is too significant to ignore.

All that stuff has barely any relevance in a Smash moveset, but it feels right to mention it for Rauru because it'd factor into his moveset. Him being a Zonai (pretty much the Zonai) and the original bearer of the arm powers would absolutely show through in his Smash moveset. The arm abilities and Zonai devices would be unlike anything we've seen in Smash so far, not to mention Rauru has a pretty unique body type that doesn't really exist in Smash yet.

People often criticize him for having no personality, but I kind of disagree. I really liked his dynamic with Zelda in the Dragon Tears memories. Speaking of, Sonia would be a pretty good echo fighter for Zelda if she's based on TOTK. It's pretty unlikely because Sonia barely has any screen time, but she'd be fun. Maybe she'll be referenced in Zelda's palette swaps.

Edit: I thought my page refreshed and deleted the message so I rewrote it?? 😭 anyways sorry for writing it twice you get the point

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Rauru is simply a huge deal to his game. He's not a package deal like the BOTW Champions that people clung to for a while. He's an important character in his own right... I'd go as far to say that he's the only new "Era of the Wild" character who stands on his own. As the first ever King of Hyrule, only Zonai you actually see in flesh, and source of Link's new arm powers, Rauru is too significant to ignore.
well he's not the first ever king of hyrule just the first king of that hyrule. the zelda team imply this hyrule may be a different incarnation

also he is not the only zonai you see in the flesh as there is his sister mineru

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
well he's not the first ever king of hyrule just the first king of that hyrule. the zelda team imply this hyrule may be a different incarnation

also he is not the only zonai you see in the flesh as there is his sister mineru
Being the first king is still important in the context of TOTK itself. The Zelda timeline is all messed up at this point so there's no point in arguing about this. Even if it's a different incarnation of Hyrule, Rauru has heavy plot significance.

I totally forgot about Mineru, haven't played TOTK in a while. In my defense her screen time is pretty limited.

Eh, I'd still argue Rauru is more representative of the Zonai despite not being the only one you encounter.

Last edited:

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
Does Zelda even have a strict timeline anymore? I feel like BotW shattered it.

Unified timeline literally makes no sense.
I'm not sure if unified is a word they officially used to describe the status regarding BOTW, but I still don't like it. I like having definitive answers for the continuity.

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
it has a timeline but I’m not sure its strict. As shown by them moving the oracle games placement. They describe botw as taking place at the end of the timeline
The Oracle games are weird because an article in 64 Dream mentions Link having recently defeated Agahnim and Ganon, but I believe Zelda talks to him like she doesn't already know him when she appears in those games. I think Hyrule Historia says the Oracle games may or may not have the same Link as ALttP/LA.

ALttP and LA are my favorite part of the Zelda series (really glad Zelda represents it in Ultimate), so I wanna believe they're part of it too, but it's a bit awkward.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Does Zelda even have a strict timeline anymore? I feel like BotW shattered it.

Unified timeline literally makes no sense.
I always wondered why they thought there should be a timeline dedicated to Link being killed in Ocarina of Time. Ganondorf finds a way to escape his punishment in every timeline anyway (Escaped in WW, failed execution in TP, possessing Aganhim in ALttP) so I don’t even know what him losing even accomplishes other than a place to dump all the retro games.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Did you finish the game cause I think you might be missing a detail and I don’t want to spoil anything
No actually, I got really tired of it right before the final boss fight. Wanted to go back and beat it but I always find something better to do. You can go ahead and spoil it tbh I'm not really invested in it anymore.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Saw a couple of fan rosters here earlier so I thought I'd post mine as well ♡
48 veterans (counting PT and Aegis as one fighter each) + 12 unique newcomers. 5 returning echo fighters + 4 new ones. This is on the upper end of my predictions, basically the most fighters I would expect in a non-port scenario.View attachment 386465
Feel free to disagree with any cuts/inclusions, but please provide reasoning.
Aside from not treat Pokemon Trainer and Pyra/Mythra as multiple characters, I don't like Impa and Octoling as Echos for Sheik and Inkling nor do I think Tom Nook has enough stuff to justify being an unique fighter. (Then again I haven't played any of the Animal Crossing games.) I wish Noah was there with Mio as Ouroboros is a major part of their characters and I think Leon would be a lackluster as a rep for Resident Evil (I would go with either Chris Redfield or Albert Wesker.) Aside from those, this is a solid roster.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No actually, I got really tired of it right before the final boss fight. Wanted to go back and beat it but I always find something better to do. You can go ahead and spoil it tbh I'm not really invested in it anymore.
Did you get to the part where Mineru comes back as a robot and becomes your 5th ghost party member?

Last edited:
Top Bottom