• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Until Ultimate?? Smash 4 added a ton of female fighters

Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Best character Rosalina
Palutena
Miis
Robin
Lucina
Wendy technically
Corrin
Bayonetta

Which was a huge jump from Samus, Peach, Zelda, Samus again, Zelda again, half of Ice Climbers and maybe Jigglypuff?

Ultimate did nicely build on this though with

Female Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer
Inkling
Isabelle
Daisy
Kazooie (sort of)
Byleth
Min Min
Pyra
Mythra
Alex
12 (14 if you count Sheik and ZSS separately) out of 55 was still not a great ratio imo. Not to mention 4 of those weren't even on the CSS. It could be argued that Ultimate's 22/24 (with 8 not being on the CSS) is still not great out of 89, but eh. There were more standalone (non-gender swap) women added, so maybe that's why the female roster feels more full.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
But yeah, as I noted before, the fact she has any kind of differences is what makes her an automatic "can't be a costume".
I mean, you can. Said changes were absolutely arbitrary to the point you can just give her the same idle and running animations as Peach and nothing of value would be lost since again, those slight hurtbox differences don't mean a thing in an actual fight where the standard player isn't going to be sitting idle or running much instead of floating.
Hell, she reverts back to Peach's idle when holding a small item! Like....when she's holding the goddamn VEGETABLES.

She could have easily been an alt just like Alph, but they decided do the absolute bare minimum to make her "different" for no legitimate reason.

That is what pisses me off the most. Because then what's really keeping them from giving a single new idle animation to Alph just to have him separate from Olimar if that's literally all it takes? Or tweaking female Byleth even further on hers to where the hurtbox is different?

And what makes Daisy so special that she gets her own while Lucina, Dark Pit, and Ken don't?

Regardless of how people that like her feel, she's the absolute most pointless addition in the entire series thus far and I'm tired of pretending she isn't.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean, you can. Said changes were absolutely arbitrary to the point you can just give her the same idle and running animations as Peach and nothing of value would be lost since again, those slight hurtbox differences don't mean a thing in an actual fight where the standard player isn't going to be sitting idle or running much instead of floating.
Hell, she reverts back to Peach's idle when holding a small item! Like....when she's holding the goddamn VEGETABLES.

She could have easily been an alt just like Alph, but they decided do the absolute bare minimum to make her "different" for no legitimate reason.

That is what pisses me off the most. Because then what's really keeping them from giving a single new idle animation to Alph just to have him separate from Olimar if that's literally all it takes? Or tweaking female Byleth even further on hers to where the hurtbox is different?

And what makes Daisy so special that she gets her own while Lucina, Dark Pit, and Ken don't?

Regardless of how people that like her feel, she's the absolute most pointless addition in the entire series thus far and I'm tired of pretending she isn't.
Daisy is a lot more iconic than other echoes like Dark Pit or alts like Alph. She’s been around since the Game Boy and has appeared in almost every spinoff game. I think she’s more than earned her spot on the roster. I can understand the argument that they should have done more to differentiate her from Peach but calling her a pointless addition is crazy to me.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Daisy is a lot more iconic than other echoes like Dark Pit or alts like Alph. She’s been around since the Game Boy and has appeared in almost every spinoff game. I think she’s more than earned her spot on the roster. I can understand the argument that they should have done more to differentiate her from Peach but calling her a pointless addition is crazy to me.
Does she have any legitimately meaningful differences from the character she's Echoing?

No? Then she's pointless as a separate fighter. End of story.

Being "iconic" is not a free pass. Either give her SOMETHING different or don't bother having her be separate. That isn't such a tall order.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
12 (14 if you count Sheik and ZSS separately) out of 55 was still not a great ratio imo. Not to mention 4 of those weren't even on the CSS. It could be argued that Ultimate's 22/24 (with 8 not being on the CSS) is still not great out of 89, but eh. There were more standalone (non-gender swap) women added, so maybe that's why the female roster feels more full.
You know, one of these days I need to make an in depth breakdown of the gender ratios of Smash.

Personally I'd count avatar characters that can be male or female as another thing entirely. I'd also count most of the Pokemon as gender undetermined. I really should make it one of these days.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I will say that if we needed to cut the roster by a significant amount, I’d much rather the existing echoes, clones, and semiclones demoted to alt outfits than cut entirely. I’d rather have them keep their differences but I can accept losing those if it means being able to stay at least in some way.
I feel like most semiclones wouldn't work at all as alts outfits (like Toon Link as a alts of Link would make no sense at all). As for total clones like Richter, Daisy and Dark Samus, what's the point of putting them as alts costumes? You're not even saving development time, there's pretty much no difference in having Daisy as an alts aside from the fact that the devs don't have to make 8 alts for both Peach and Daisy.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Does she have any legitimately meaningful differences from the character she's Echoing?

Being "iconic" is not a free pass. Either give her SOMETHING different or don't bother having her be separate. That isn't such a tall order.
Yes, her general attitude and personality is completely different from Peach. She’s a spunky tomboy while Peach is more elegant and refined. I think that justifies the extra taunts and animations of an echo compared to an alt. I don’t know anything about Pikmin so the same might be true for Alph but he’s much less recognizable with a general audience. Thats why I think she got her own slot and Alph didn’t.

I feel like most semiclones wouldn't work at all as alts outfits (like Toon Link as a alts of Link would make no sense at all). As for total clones like Richter, Daisy and Dark Samus, what's the point of putting them as alts costumes? You're not even saving development time, there's pretty much no difference in having Daisy as an alts aside from the fact that the devs don't have to make 8 alts for both Peach and Daisy.
I think Toon Link is the only one that outright wouldn’t work at all. For most of the others, in an alternate universe where they never made it in Smash as their own characters, I think they could have worked as alts. The only real issue is that people are now used to their individual playstyles so demoting them would be jarring. Again, I’m not advocating that they do that, just that I’d prefer it to the alternative of losing them altogether.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Dark Samus actually does have more meaningful differences compared to those two to warrant Echo over costume.

Dark Pit set the bar pretty low, and Richter and especially Daisy decided to:
FwdXafWaEAEs8Ca.jpg_large.jpg

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Could YOU take down 10 Hands?

Marth was jus sayin...

"Stow your fear." bro I seen u in battle you have like 3, maybe 4 before you're out.
Always triggers me lol. Maybe the Japanese line is better? Speaking of words Zelda the series rarely gets a voice acting especially in English so I guess I'm trained to pay special attention when it happens and ... Yah still annoys me lol. At least Pit is true to his smash persona, ever the optimistic head in the clouds not on his reading apparently, and Marth is the tactics buff and fox is general obv ... SO who is smash Zelda anyway? Who is Zelda!? What's she gonna be like when she comes to the silver screen? Or will she never speak again? Nah she got to... Hmm.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Instead of arguing over cutting all clones and their "deservedness" again, why not discuss changes to them that you would like to see. Clones/echoes aren't going anywhere but hopefully the existing ones can get more of the Falco/Roy treatment over time. Plus, even if that's the case, I guarantee that the next game is going to introduce new minimal difference echoes just to squeeze a few more characters in like always.

To clarify, I don't even disagree with the general sentiment of Daisy, Richter, etc being too similar but this is par for the course. Fighting games have clone characters. That won't change anytime soon.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Could YOU take down 10 Hands?

Marth was jus sayin...

"Stow your fear." bro I seen u in battle you have like 3, maybe 4 before you're out.
Always triggers me lol. Maybe the Japanese line is better? Speaking of words Zelda the series rarely gets a voice acting especially in English so I guess I'm trained to pay special attention when it happens and ... Yah still annoys me lol. At least Pit is true to his smash persona, ever the optimistic head in the clouds not on his reading apparently, and Marth is the tactics buff and fox is general obv ... SO who is smash Zelda anyway? Who is Zelda!? What's she gonna be like when she comes to the silver screen? Or will she never speak again? Nah she got to... Hmm.
IMG_2474.jpeg

Jesse what the **** are you talking about

superprincess

Smash Journeyman

Ooh... I can't imagine feeling so strongly about such an inoffensive character.

"They made her separate for no reason" no, the reason is that they wanted Daisy on the CSS, not tucked away into Peach's alts. They wanted to market Daisy as a new character, and they did. Again, Sakurai explained that echo fighters don't need gameplay changes. They're a bonus, not a requirement.

Her idle animation is not an arbitrary change, it reflects her energetic personality. Peach kinda stands there, Daisy is ready to go. This is reflected in her run animation as well, where Peach holds her dress so as not to step on it, whereas Daisy doesn't care and just makes a run for it. I should mention this is a distinction that's also present in Mario Party.

Why she gets her own idle whereas Lucina and Dark Pit and Ken don't? It's simple. Those characters' personalities aren't different enough to their partners' that they justify non-attack animation changes. Lucina impersonates Marth and they both have the same bland characterization (at least in Smash), Dark Pit is a literal clone of Pit, and Ken has the same fighting stance as Ryu even in the SF series. Sorry, but this is kind of a dumb question.

Is she the most pointless addition in Smash? By a purely utilitarian standpoint, yes. But characters are more than functions. Don't forget that Daisy's spirit/essence has been in Smash since MELEE, with Peach's second alt costume. This means there have been people who wanted to play as Daisy in Smash since 2001. And Ultimate!Daisy is a manifestation of that.

Again, echoes don't need gameplay differences, we already know that. If she were pointless as a separate fighter they wouldn't have added her. They probably knew Peach mains (especially long-running ones since Melee) wouldn't want her to share her costume slots with another person, and that Daisy fans who have been clamoring for her inclusion all these years would at least want her personality to be done justice. This is the Smash team being mindful of people's requests, and we're still not happy...?
This!!! Why would the team spend an admittedly small, but still significant enough amount of time making a whole new Smashified design for Daisy, unique particle effects, unique non-attack animations and facial expressions, only to tuck her away as an alt, and not be able to market all that stuff as cool new additions? The amount of effort to make Daisy happen was small, but not zero. If they were gonna make her, they'd push her as a new character no matter what.

And also, as a longtime Peach fan & main, I wouldn't want my precious Peach to have her costumes cut in half just to accommodate Daisy. And I also wouldn't want Daisy to be stripped of the only thing she offers; a second flavor of Princess, a distinct female face in a series that desperately needed it.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Instead of arguing over cutting all clones and their "deservedness" again, why not discuss changes to them that you would like to see. Clones/echoes aren't going anywhere but hopefully the existing ones can get more of the Falco/Roy treatment over time. Plus, even if that's the case, I guarantee that the next game is going to introduce new minimal difference echoes just to squeeze a few more characters in like always.

To clarify, I don't even disagree with the general sentiment of Daisy, Richter, etc being too similar but this is par for the course. Fighting games have clone characters. That won't change anytime soon.
Now this is an interesting conversation about echo fighters. I've been thinking about this a lot, especially because of the inevitable cuts that are gonna be made next game. Are decloned echoes a worthwhile investment, or are they going to be kept the same to save on time and resources? What if they're cut altogether?

Personally, I'd like some of them to be retired in favor of slightly decloning others. I know, it's a hot take, but I really liked what Brawl did to Falco, and the baby steps that Ganondorf took. It was worth losing Doc, Pichu, Young Link and Roy imo.

Edit: didn't mean to double post, oopsie. I meant to edit this reply onto my previous post !!

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend

Well for starters, there are plenty of custom moves in Sm4sh that would at least have benefitted Daisy and Lucina. Flower Bomber especially seems like a no-brainer for a Princess literally named after a flower. Some of Marth’s customs also fit into Lucina’s beginner-friendly play style.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I like the ideas for Daisy posted earlier. I feel like there’s a lot of room to expand on Dark Samus by at least giving her moves she used for her assist trophy in Sm4sh.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Well for starters, there are plenty of custom moves in Sm4sh that would at least have benefitted Daisy and Lucina. Flower Bomber especially seems like a no-brainer for a Princess literally named after a flower. Some of Marth’s customs also fit into Lucina’s beginner-friendly play style.
If I had a nickel for every playable Princess in Smash who was the Echo Fighter of a character with plenty of customs moves available to repurpose for Ultimate and yet they didn’t, I’d have two nickels. Which isn’t a lot but this shouldn’t have happened twice.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I welcome more deviation for echo fighters but I feel like Lucina is the one who doesn’t really need it. Her most valuable role at this point is letting you experience a more streamlined version of Marth’s moveset without the spacing / tipper.

That’s already enough where you’re going to be playing these characters differently, and is a very simple way to provide another option. So that feels like one scenario where they might not want to spend the extra time making new changes if she’s already functionally the most unique echo fighter minus Ken (who… isn’t one, really). I get why they left it be.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
View attachment 386000

I did keep the roster size at 49 (plus the 10 DLC fighters) with the Echo Fighters as a bonus 7 characters. I took out Ness, Robin, Mr. Game & Watch, and Ryu from the veterans while bringing back Byleth, R.O.B., Isabelle, Min Min, and Terry. Regarding the newcomers Raven Beak, Meowscarada, Saki, and Bomberman got the axe and got replaced with Cynthia, Mike Jones, and Quote while Issac got moved to the base roster. I added Funky Kong, Shadow, and Curly as Echo Fighters of Donkey Kong, Sonic, and Quote respectively. Only Agumon, Diddy Kong (plus Dixie), Waluigi, and Doomslayer survived the cuts. Eggman got cut since Shadow was ready in the base game. Meta Knight got moved to DLC replacing Ike in the process. Phoenix Wright took Monokuma's spot due to there being no Capcom rep in the base game. 2B got Alear's slot since Fire Emblem already got Marth, Lucina, and Byleth in the base game (not to mention Alear likely would not be relevent once Smash 6 rolls around) and Square Enix deserved a rep. Yuri Lowell almost got in, but swapped out with Sol Badguy to avoid giving Bandai Namco three unique fighters while all the other 3rd parties got one.

I'm ready to hear your critiques!
When i see the main character of Cave story i always think of a german youtuber because that character was used for his Avatar!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I like the ideas for Daisy posted earlier. I feel like there’s a lot of room to expand on Dark Samus by at least giving her moves she used for her assist trophy in Sm4sh.
I should've posted this when I said Dark Samus has a unique moveset in PMEX

The only attack that looks exactly like one of her AT moves is the down smash but you can still see the AT influence.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Well for starters, there are plenty of custom moves in Sm4sh that would at least have benefitted Daisy and Lucina. Flower Bomber especially seems like a no-brainer for a Princess literally named after a flower.
Counterpoint: Custom moves sucked and were unbalanced.

Plus, I remember Flower Bomber being a really bad one. It would need a lot of rebalancing to work in Daisy's kit. The fitting theme still makes it feel like a missed opportunity, and going for it might've been worth it in the end. I'd accept it if they reskinned the "Lip's stick" effect that the move inflicted to look like Daisy's flower symbol. A Peach custom move that would've been cool for Daisy is actually Light Parasol, it has shorter vertical distance but closing and reopening the parasol gives her extra height and air speed. It'd be fun to bounce around in midair.

As for Lucina, she was always meant to be baby mode Marth, so I'd argue she doesn't need any move changes. If we're willing to go there though, I wouldn't go for custom moves at all. I'd go for some skills from Awakening that could've worked over her current specials. Luna would use the Shield Breaker animation, inflicting less damage and having less knockback growth. To make up for that, the move inflicts more shieldstun and pushback, as a reference to the skill reducing the opponent's defense stat in Awakening. Can eventually break shields, but it's not the move's primary purpose. Astra would be the side special, losing the directional variants in favor of a fifth hit. It'd function more like Mythra's Lightning Buster, a big dumb flurry of sword swipes. Since Lucina's playstyle is rather... mindless in Ultimate, I'd argue it fits her more than the versatile and precise dancing blade. More damage but less killing power & versatility.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I can't say I like the whole Echo concept to begin with; it's literally just a branding label serving as an excuse for pretty blatant copy-paste jobs. It doesn't help that the influx of Echoes, alts, and clones in general have created such heated disputes over what's what.

I mean, I try to be understanding; asset reuse is a part of game development. But I can't help feeling like we're going backwards by having more 1-1 clones at a time when they're less necessary than ever. If anything, having Daisy as a straight copycat now just begs the question of why we didn't simply get this years ago, when the roster could've more used a little extra fat.

As far as differentiating existing clones further goes, well, that discussion literally just goes straight back to whether to have them at all. Because if it's a character who is only justified by their cloneability in the first place, then I'd rather the effort go into other characters than defeat the only purpose of including them to begin with. But if it's a character who could be justified as a unique, then yeah I'd like them to be differentiated as much as they can manage.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Perhaps this'll be a hot take of my own, but I very much dislike how Lucina is just easy bake Marth. I'm fine with her being based on Marth, I think it makes perfect sense, but I'd much prefer for existing clones to slowly make their way into semi-clone status over remaining exactly the same.

I also dislike the idea of adding the flower effect to Daisy Bomber. Though that is admittedly more to do with my dislike of the flower effect in general (I'd much prefer a more standard poison status effect that can be used more often.)

As for custom moves in general, there were some cool ones, but I do have to agree with the sentiment that most of them weren't really all that great. I do think it was a missed opportunity to not recycle the better ones for more echo possibilities (cough Mega Man,) or to replace some of the current fighters' moves (like Bowser's Fire Shot.)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Echo Fighters are great because it largely stops people ******** about clones and slot stealing and all that junk because they're a feature

Echo Fighters suck because the term is extremely poorly defined, characters are seemingly stuck in that role even if they have more than enough of their own stuff to make them a semi-clone at the very least and some people want to force characters to be echo fighters where they literally don't work because Echo Fighters are now a feature

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Perhaps this'll be a hot take of my own, but I very much dislike how Lucina is just easy bake Marth. I'm fine with her being based on Marth, I think it makes perfect sense, but I'd much prefer for existing clones to slowly make their way into semi-clone status over remaining exactly the same.
I don’t especially like Lucina that much either because I appreciate the nuance to Marth’s moveset, that’s what makes it so good and that’s intrinsically what he was designed around. This is one case where I just kinda resign my own feelings about it and recognize it may be something they find valuable.

Lucina’s playerbase is pretty large at this point so if they can make both parties happy this easily by giving the option I just think that’s probably in their best interest. Personally I much prefer someone like Roy working as Marth’s foil but if Lucina can be accomplished in a fraction of dev time, and FE is getting snipped down anyway, I just foresee Lucina becoming the standard.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My favorite custom move by far was Palutena’s Heavenly Light. That move was just so unique compared to everything else we have in Smash. I agree it could have used some balancing work but I loved the general concept of the move.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My favorite custom move by far was Palutena’s Heavenly Light. That move was just so unique compared to everything else we have in Smash. I agree it could have used some balancing work but I loved the general concept of the move.
Thank christ they were able to combine Reflect and Counter so another move would be opened up, but they really made some lame decisions when it came to Palutena’s base specials. I agree, I really liked Heavenly Light. It’s an odd move but it sells Palutena’s whole shtick nicely and it’s a cool way to build up chip damage when opponents are in your radius. Palutena’s Up Smash already gives this impression of how she’s able to cover a surprising amount of distance, so it plays further into that.

I kinda like Auto Reticle but I wouldn’t have minded that one being Down Special. Teleport is fine but she had cool Up Specials too. Just bugs me a bit that they went for some of her most derivative attacks over the ones that really popped, and truth be told they’re just not all the best representation of a goddess. So props to Heavenly Light for really laying that on.

I think Reflect is good but Palutena does not need a damn Counter. I’ll be lenient when it comes to criticizing Smash for over-relying on counter moves but this is the one I never understood.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Thank christ they were able to combine Reflect and Counter so another move would be opened up, but they really made some lame decisions when it came to Palutena’s base specials. I agree, I really liked Heavenly Light. It’s an odd move but it sells Palutena’s whole shtick nicely and it’s a cool way to build up chip damage when opponents are in your radius. Palutena’s Up Smash already gives this impression of how she’s able to cover a surprising amount of distance, so it plays further into that.

I kinda like Auto Reticle but I wouldn’t have minded that one being Down Special. Teleport is fine but she had cool Up Specials too. Just bugs me a bit that they went for some of her most derivative attacks over the ones that really popped, and truth be told they’re just not all the best representation of a goddess. So props to Heavenly Light for really laying that on.

I think Reflect is good but Palutena does not need a damn Counter. I’ll be lenient when it comes to criticizing Smash for over-relying on counter moves but this is the one I never understood.
K. Rool’s counter was a strange choice to me too. The rest of his moveset was pretty much identical to what I imagined (besides my version of the blunderbuss being a bit more complex) but I’m not sure where the counter came from. I think either a jumping stomp like Dedede or Bowser or an aerial cannonball that fell straight down vertically like his first boss fight in DKC1 would have made more sense.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If Daisy was an Alt, there would be less chance she would have an Amiibo, so just for that, that's another point in her Favor of her being an echo

K. Rool’s counter was a strange choice to me too. The rest of his moveset was pretty much identical to what I imagined (besides my version of the blunderbuss being a bit more complex) but I’m not sure where the counter came from. I think either a jumping stomp like Dedede or Bowser or an aerial cannonball that fell straight down vertically like his first boss fight in DKC1 would have made more sense.
I'm guessing that's because they wanted a Special Move Focused on the Belly Armor K.Rool has. I think he's also the only Super Heavyweight with a Counter which is pretty unique for the Archetype

Edit: Regular Counter, Incineroar's is a Different beast

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I do agree that Gut Check is a weird move, but honestly the rest of King K. Rool's moveset is so perfectly designed that I don't mind it that much. A ground-pound that emits a shockwave like his DK64 fight would've been neat, but I'm not losing sleep over what they decided to go with since they pretty much got all of the other major moves (Crown toss, blunderbuss, propellerpack) covered, and then some.

I guess they wanted a special like that to tie in to the belly-armor mechanic, which is fair enough.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I do agree that Gut Check is a weird move, but honestly the rest of King K. Rool's moveset is so perfectly designed that I don't mind it that much. A ground-pound that emits a shockwave like his DK64 fight would've been neat, but I'm not losing sleep over what they decided to go with since they pretty much got all of the other major moves (Crown toss, blunderbuss, propellerpack) covered, and then some.

I guess they wanted a special like that to tie in to the belly-armor mechanic, which is fair enough.
Same. I’m quite satisfied with how he came out as a whole so I’m not stressing over a few things I would have done differently. For simplicity’s sake, it was probably smarter to go with the blunderbuss attack they did instead of what I had in my head too (though I would have personally lived it).

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Gut Check fits well with the design philosophy they had for K. Rool; making him a very versatile heavyweight. He has great recovery, two projectiles, super armor, bury, command grab, and on top of everything a counter AND a reflector.
I think it fits him pretty well, another projectile would have been overkill and made him way more one-note.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, the concept of a giant AoE that does damage but has no knockback is re-explored with Piranha Plant somewhat.

I do think it could be used more liberally though, especially with characters that utilize flame or darkness. Carpeting the floor with "ouchy zones" is something they explored in WoL so I wish they'd have done it some characters main movesets.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, the concept of a giant AoE that does damage but has no knockback is re-explored with Piranha Plant somewhat.

I do think it could be used more liberally though, especially with characters that utilize flame or darkness. Carpeting the floor with "ouchy zones" is something they explored in WoL so I wish they'd have done it some characters main movesets.
I borrowed the idea for my Magus moveset concept with his Dark Mist attack. My idea for the move is he creates a fog along the ground that acts in a very similar way to Heavenly Light. Funnily enough, my Magus idea pretty much uses Sora’s exact mechanic of cycling between elements for his neutral special but I created it before Sora was revealed. I thought it was cool how we almost got the same move for a different character.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

That's the point. They gave her a minimal difference that doesn't make her 1:1 with Peach. That's why she's an Echo. I absolutely agree it was poorly done.

But it was still done. Yes, they could reverse it. But it serves no purpose when it's far easier to just give her a tad more. They even did by accident.

...And yeah, she's a terrible representation of Echoes in itself, as you mentioned before. Lucina is a pretty good postergirl for it, though. A clear difference, etc.

Byleth is an odd one, since they're even named differently in Japan, and the hitboxes/hurtboxes can't be different for a costume, yeah.

It was already answered, but Daisy's particular animations are just about accuracy to her personality. Dark Pit and Lucina are in different situations and were actually designed to be costumes first before being promoted in said same game. Daisy on the other hand was added in Ultimate as an Echo(whereas Peach has a reference to her, but even during Melee, it wasn't literally Daisy as a costume). So it's much more likely circumstances instead. She came in at the right time where the other two simply didn't. And yeah, Dark Pit could be a bit better too. Lucina in particular is trying to imitate Marth, so that checks out on its own.

Oh, right, the Pikmin thing. This one's a bit easier to see why they didn't split off Alph; the character is Pikmin & Captain. That means the character is both overall when it comes to gameplay. So thinking of how to split them off but making the Pikmin notable is important too. And that takes far more work than someone like Daisy. Probably closer to Ken levels(if not more). We do know they had trouble with programming the Pikmin, so that may be part of why. It might even be a case where an Echo really doesn't work and they'd have been a more regular clone or semi-clone(so more what Dr. Mario is). Especially since Rock Pikmin was their ideal suggestion, which requires more work.

If Daisy was an Alt, there would be less chance she would have an Amiibo, so just for that, that's another point in her Favor of her being an echo
She has one in the Super Mario line. That wouldn't have made a difference. Popularity absolutely played a role. They just didn't do enough.

...Also, Byleth has two amiibo, as do some alts in general. For various reasons. amiibo are not based simply on a slot, but a business thing. That's why some DLC got some, because it's good business to further promote them. Corrin was the oddball, but 3rd parties are hype enough to get extra(but also, it's Cloud). Bayonetta isn't as notable as Cloud, though. Though I think her amiibo was more usable in her games or something? I forget.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Heaveblt light was okay but I really would've liked her keeping lightweight.

Top Bottom