• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Ok, I should say another thing here. Disregarding their chances of actually getting in, we are not running out of legacy characters that are popular enough to use.
Well you said it yourself, then. What people really mean by "we're running out of legacy characters", they really mean "we're running out of legacy characters that feel like they actually have a chance."

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well you said it yourself, then. What people really mean by "we're running out of legacy characters", they really mean "we're running out of legacy characters that feel like they actually have a chance."
Some people certainly frame it that way, and I guess I don't take a ton of issue with it if you think there are a lot of great potential legacy picks but simply view them as unlikely (though I'd argue there are at least a handful of legacy reps where you can at least see a path or scenario in which they'd make it).
The viewpoint I'd really like to combat is the one I see a lot that says that all the "big" legacy characters already got in by like Brawl or 4 or something, and that there's no more good options left.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Yeah maybe those were confusing examples because they have a presence in the game, I just meant that the bias doesn’t explicitly show within the playable roster being the core three Kirby characters. Rather if any of those characters I mentioned were outright playable, then you could argue the same neglect that is apparent through stage selection.

Also disagree with the Marx boss being an eyebrow raiser, he’s an iconic fight from the series’ most influential game. There are other fights that could have worked but I’d argue none as effectively as Marx, and NintenRob even made a good point in his video about how choosing Marx allowed more creative freedom to build on the old fight. I’m a little biased because Marx is a favorite of mine, but I don’t really think Dark Matter or CROWNED Magolor would have been all that more effective… especially since Marx has influenced so many other fights through the course of the series, to this day.
I'll agree that the playable roster was never inherently the problem, it was always everything else beyond those fighters that raised red flags. If the three fighters we have were locked into other games that also had way better miscellaneous aspects, nobody'd be whining at the poor bias.

Although Kirby is also one of those series that could benefit from other eras and their characters getting more than just minor references. A lot of recent Kirby titles have indulged into Kirby's history way better than Smash ever has, and despite this, it sort of feels like Kirby's recent brand has been brushed to the wayside in Smash, towards Sakurai's favor. It's one of the reasons I don't like the Marx boss. Ignoring Star Allies entirely, Ultra and Mass attack had nuances Sakurai could've added to that fight that he flat-out ignored. Maybe that's not inherently problematic, but like every other biased inclusion, it accumulates into the bigger bias issue Kirby's saddled with.

I'm not sure how much adding new fighters to Smash would change any of this, but it likely wouldn't hurt to have some Kirby newcomers from other parts of the series at this point. It's been over a decade and a half since the last one.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Before we stray too far from the topic, something I wanted to bring up that nobody ever pays any mind to. One character who has been glaringly absent for years and has stood in high standing within the series for even longer than Bandana Dee...

1709518180015.png

If there's any other Kirby character who has deserved to be a boss, assist trophy or stage hazard it's Kracko. The guy has a similarly impressive attendance record to Whispy Woods! I'll gladly take the helm as Kracko's biggest cheerleader and make it known that this is a great travesty and dishonor toward one of Nintendo's most persistent big bosses.

In all seriousness though, I guess it's kind of a loaded topic to champion absent content from "Sakurai era" Kirby titles, but Kracko is a boss that the series has stuck with for all this time and I think transcends that bias in the same way someone like Chef Kawasaki does. Would love if Kirby got some kind of sky stage next time around and he could float in and be a nuisance.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I mean I don't think we need to necessarily make it a competition between DKC and another series. FE really isn't guilty of anything except being fortunate enough to have a regular developer making its games (unlike Donkey Kong) and new sets of characters to work with every generation for stuff like Smash. Fire Emblem has a passionate fanbase that I'm glad get fighters and the likes of Dixie could easily co-exist as an exciting newcomer alongside whoever the next FE rep will be.
I just picked "next Fire Emblem lord" as the go-to example of characters who get in mostly just because they're recent. Make it Lyn and the next lord if you prefer; or I dunno Bandana Dee and the next Mario sidekick.
My broader point wanted to be that old characters were new at one point, and their fans don't disappear just because they missed the boat once or twice.

I'm gonna add that it also seems really weird to me to see people constantly propping up the more niche "legacy" veterans like Lucas, Falco, Ness, Ice Climbers, Ike, Sheik, Jigglypuff, etc. as "Smash icons" and then go on to say that we're running out of good legacy reps. Because a lot of the legacy reps we could get compare pretty favorably with at least most of those in terms of popularity within their series and long-term impact. Of course I definitely don't mean to lump all those characters together, and it's perfectly valid to be higher or lower on some of those than others (I certainly am), but you gotta give everybody a fair shake.
I mean, all characters, after they get in, become Smash characters. Falco, Ness etc. stand out in that sense; as Smash characters.
Of course this can happen to any character, to bring up more recent ones I believe Incineroar and Pyra on that way among others. The old vs new thing is mostly about which characters one would like to see more in principle I think.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Before we stray too far from the topic, something I wanted to bring up that nobody ever pays any mind to. One character who has been glaringly absent for years and has stood in high standing within the series for even longer than Bandana Dee...

View attachment 385892

If there's any other Kirby character who has deserved to be a boss, assist trophy or stage hazard it's Kracko. The guy has a similarly impressive attendance record to Whispy Woods! I'll gladly take the helm as Kracko's biggest cheerleader and make it known that this is a great travesty and dishonor toward one of Nintendo's most persistent big bosses.

In all seriousness though, I guess it's kind of a loaded topic to champion absent content from "Sakurai era" Kirby titles, but Kracko is a boss that the series has stuck with for all this time and I think transcends that bias in the same way someone like Chef Kawasaki does. Would love if Kirby got some kind of sky stage next time around and he could float in and be a nuisance.
Especially galling given his parents have already gotten into Smash:

BITF.png

😉

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

View attachment 385892

Prior to Marx, I actually thought Kracko would be the go to for a Kirby boss. He'd make a lot of sense as an assist or stage hazard or something.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I just picked "next Fire Emblem lord" as the go-to example of characters who get in mostly just because they're recent. Make it Lyn and the next lord if you prefer; or I dunno Bandana Dee and the next Mario sidekick.
My broader point wanted to be that old characters were new at one point, and their fans don't disappear just because they missed the boat once or twice.
Not to extend this further than it needs to be, but Lyn and Bandana Dee certainly do have comparable fanbases to Dixie Kong these days.

Wait, scratch that sorry. I misunderstood what you meant, I was really confused for a second. For what it's worth I don't think Bandana Dee has ever really needed to compete with "the next Mario sidekick", there's a reason nobody is seriously speculating about Cappy or Prince whats-his-name from Wonder. And honestly I think Lyn has a relatively good shot next time since Fire Emblem is probably slated for a remake and doesn't seem to have much else going on.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Prior to Marx, I actually thought Kracko would be the go to for a Kirby boss. He'd make a lot of sense as an assist or stage hazard or something.
I mean, since it's Smash Bros, quite a bunch of Kirby bosses would work for Assists, Stage Hazards and of course, bosses. Besides Kracko, another boss I wanted was Dyna Blade.

Although admittingly, their cool and memorable factor was second to the real reason I wanted them. Their awesome theme from Air Ride.
Which was a remix of Castle Lololo's music from the first Kirby's Dreamland game, which is in Smash Bros 4/Ultimate with the GB Kirby Dreamland stage.
But man, do I love the Air Ride version so much, and it was great when it became Dyna Blade's and Wham Bam Rock's boss music in Super Star Ultra.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Not to extend this further than it needs to be, but Lyn and Bandana Dee certainly do have comparable fanbases to Dixie Kong these days.

Wait, scratch that sorry. I misunderstood what you meant, I was really confused for a second. For what it's worth I don't think Bandana Dee has ever really needed to compete with "the next Mario sidekick", there's a reason nobody is seriously speculating about Cappy or Prince whats-his-name from Wonder. And honestly I think Lyn has a relatively good shot next time since Fire Emblem is probably slated for a remake and doesn't seem to have much else going on.
I... didn't want to pit anyone against anyone, those were all random examples.

Let's put it like this: as long as a character has fans, I can't see what does it matter if they're old or new, or if they've been recently used or not. And I can't see why what would have been a good, natural pick a couple games ago would suddenly stop being one now.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
And honestly I think Lyn has a relatively good shot next time since Fire Emblem is probably slated for a remake and doesn't seem to have much else going on.
Unless said remake is her own game, no.

We're more likely to skip a Fire Emblem character than go back to promote her from an Assist. Especially if the idea is "Engage is too late for a fighter" for someone like Alear.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

View attachment 385892

If there's any other Kirby character who has deserved to be a boss, assist trophy or stage hazard it's Kracko.
Unironically think he'd not only be great in all those roles, but as a playable character too. Yeah yeah, there are a LOT of other characters that should get in before him, no doubt, but he's so significant in the series (arguably being Kirby's true rival), has such a spotless attendance record, and has no shortage of moves to pull from that you can't not have fun toying with the idea. A lightweight big-body character that has great maneuverability options and attack range would be a super interesting archetype, too.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Lol I should also add that the literal reason I put that phrase in my post was so that I didn't get hit with the "yeah, but they all have no shot" response

--

I mean, all characters, after they get in, become Smash characters. Falco, Ness etc. stand out in that sense; as Smash characters.
Of course this can happen to any character, to bring up more recent characters I believe Incineroar and Pyra are on that way among others. The old vs new thing is mostly about which characters one would like to see more in principle I think.
Honestly even if you include the "Smash effect" on notoriety, I'd still argue there are legacy reps who compare favorably to several characters on the roster.

Anyway, we could go in circles about this, but at the end of the day it seems kind of silly to posit that one character is better just on the basis of having been in Smash before. That's pretty irrelevant to the actual points of comparison being made, especially potential for unique and fun gameplay, representative niche, overall impact on Nintendo's history (none of which being in Smash fundamentally changes), or popularity and importance within their home series (that one being in Smash could influence, but to varying degrees and not necessarily insurmountably).

--

Regardless, there are a lot of Switch-era reps I'd like to see in addition to legacy reps, as well as characters I mentioned before who represent both old and new very well. I just think we can fill in the cracks of worthy candidates who got passed over before for one reason or another while also bringing the roster up-to-date with series that have burst onto the scene or otherwise expanded more recently. Balancing act as always.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Unless said remake is her own game, no.

We're more likely to skip a Fire Emblem character than go back to promote her from an Assist. Especially if the idea is "Engage is too late for a fighter" for someone like Alear.
Agree to disagree, I think a strong following well into the current day and a continued marketability and prevalence across other Fire Emblem content is a strong enough case in her favor if the series doesn't see any other substantial moves before next Smash. She's like the only non-playable character being touted with the level of significance that her Smashbound colleagues have. She got a big statue as recently as 2021 and appears alongside Marth and Ike on the series portal. I'm not equipped to tell you her role in any recent titles personally, but it's clear she hasn't fizzled out and is held in high esteem.

1709520985403.png
1709520959253.png

I don't think the Alear point really matters here because it's not really a question of being too late, it's moreso that Engage didn't create much of a splash or forward momentum for the series to be in the same camp as like... Awakening during Smash 4. These two would be assessed on different merit, Lyn for her legacy and Alear's main case in her favor is that she is the most recent protagonist. We could very well not get a character at all, but I think now is as good a time as ever to act on longstanding popularity if they were so inclined. I wasn't really even thinking about her AT role.

I don't have a lot of stake in it really, I just want to acknowledge the prospect since FE discussion typically begins and ends with whether or not they have something to plug, and less so any deeper prominence or legacy. The option is there.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mean, Lyn is also part of FE Engage as well. You can't say Fire Emblem Engage certainly can't help Lyn's chances or can't advertise Engage.
"Our newest fighter, Lyn, first originated in Fire Emblem 7(Fire Emblem in the West) for the GBA as one of three/four protagonists, but she also appears in the latest Fire Emblem Engage as an Emblem character!" :nifty:

Still, the next FE game/remake can't help her chances unless it's her game being remade.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Lyn gets (some would say more than) her share of favoritism in the spinoffs, and they have the hard data on her popularity from the FEH poll. I don't think IS or Nintendo would have any problem with her getting promoted through Smash, it's just a matter of having space for her.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Agree to disagree, I think a strong following well into the current day and a continued marketability and prevalence across other Fire Emblem content is a strong enough case in her favor if the series doesn't see any other substantial moves before next Smash. She's like the only non-playable character being touted with the level of significance that her Smashbound colleagues have. She got a big statue as recently as 2021 and appears alongside Marth and Ike on the series portal. I'm not equipped to tell you her role in any recent titles personally, but it's clear she hasn't fizzled out and is held in high esteem.

View attachment 385898 View attachment 385897

I don't think the Alear point really matters here because it's not really a question of being too late, it's moreso that Engage didn't create much of a splash or forward momentum for the series to be in the same camp as like... Awakening during Smash 4. These two would be assessed on different merit, Lyn for her legacy and Alear's main case in her favor is that she is the most recent protagonist. We could very well not get a character at all, but I think now is as good a time as ever to act on longstanding popularity if they were so inclined. I wasn't really even thinking about her AT role.

I don't have a lot of stake in it really, I just want to acknowledge the prospect since FE discussion typically begins and ends with whether or not they have something to plug, and less so any deeper prominence or legacy. The option is there.
With the negative stigma that the franchise has with its characters, something Sakurai is WELL AWARE of, and the fact that "legacy" has meant basically nothing thus far for the franchise's characters outside of Marth as far as Smash, I cannot in good faith even consider Lyn as a viable choice unless she has a new game to push.

We're getting a culling, and honestly? I'm hard pressed to believe someone new is coming in, at least for the immediate next Smash. ....barring DLC because well.... :4corrin: :ultbyleth:

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Gameplay-wise, I've also always felt that Lyn makes a perfect third counterpart to Marth and Ike.
In a nutshell, heavy, light, and mid.
Ike wants to crush you with brute force, Lyn wants to dance in circles around you, and Marth mostly just wants a fair fight, allowing his superior skill to win out.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Lyn gets (some would say more than) her share of favoritism in the spinoffs, and they have the hard data on her popularity from the FEH poll. I don't think IS or Nintendo would have any problem with her getting promoted through Smash, it's just a matter of having space for her.
This is the key statement here, and it's the main reason I've been giving her more thought lately. Because I don't think Alear will be playable, and I wonder if the opportunity will be taken to be more liberal with Fire Emblem and explore it in a different way in this more sterile period. It'd be very easy for me to just be like, I don't think there will be a new Fire Emblem character in the next game. But it's still a popular series, it still does see a lot of favor in Smash Bros and it has popular characters in the bank who have yet to be added and who even saw somewhat of a new showcase through Engage.

Up to this point, I don't think the opportunity has been there for Fire Emblem to take a breather like that. Smash 4 saw the obligatory Awakening characters added because that game was a turning point for the series. Roy gets readded as a returning vet and Corrin is added as a character from a brand new game. Byleth gets added through a similar condition. Ultimate barely has any space for newcomers, and I don't think a FE character would have been high priority with the number we had already sustained from last time. Chrom is the exception, and actually does set a bit of precedent for exploring popular characters from older titles. He's obviously an echo fighter, but it's a nice precedent that FE characters don't need to up and miss their shot altogether. But Fire Emblem has been BUSY for the last ten years.

I guess my point is that with Lyn, my hypothetical is founded in some faith in conditions that are not the norm or have not been for over a decade. Sakurai is absolutely aware of Fire Emblem's stigma but I don't necessarily think his answer would be to neglect it altogether for a game. Now would be the time to retool the roster more than anything and maybe shoo away some of the assumption that "promo" characters are all its good for. I can't blame people for being skeptical of that but I have a hunch next game will be bucking some trends and there's no harm in this being one of them.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Honestly even if you include the "Smash effect" on notoriety, I'd still argue there are legacy reps who compare favorably to several characters on the roster.

Anyway, we could go in circles about this, but at the end of the day it seems kind of silly to posit that one character is better just on the basis of having been in Smash before. That's pretty irrelevant to the actual points of comparison being made, especially potential for unique and fun gameplay, representative niche, overall impact on Nintendo's history (none of which being in Smash fundamentally changes), or popularity and importance within their home series (that one being in Smash could influence, but to varying degrees and not necessarily insurmountably).
Maybe I misunderstood your initial point, but that's not what I was talking about. What I meant is that Captain Falcon, Ness, Sheik, Jigglypuff etc. are considered "Smash Staples" because they all fall into some combination of being played a lot / being meme'd a lot / being hyped a lot / offering a particularly unique or somewhat archetypical playstyle, like Sheik does for fast, combo-heavy fighters. How notorious or relevant they are or not are outside of Smash doesn't really matter. This can happen to any character of course, the only requisite is clicking with players.

But outside of that I'd say that yes, having been a Smash character for 20 years probably does something to your popularity. It's silly to pretend it doesn't.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I want to agree that it's just a matter of making a name for yourself and developing fans within Smash, but I honestly think the only requisite for becoming a staple for many is "comes back for two or more games". People are so fickle about which characters are worth a damn and which ones aren't, right now pretty much everyone is saying to go ahead and ditch Incineroar even though he's one of the most archetypically concise and fun characters added in recent memory. If Jigglypuff was added today she would be met with the same frustration as Piranha Plant. Context and longevity are definitely crucial to establishing these internal legacies. Controversial, obscure or less immediately embraced new characters are at a disadvantage by default because expectations have been so formally established over the series history. The scale of the roster means you never really have to bother with them either.

I think Sheik adds a lot to the roster dynamic, but somewhat pessimistically I believe the main reason a lot of people are willing to acknowledge this is because she's been with the series for 20 years. Had Ice Climbers been in Smash 4 or Ultimate and not Melee, I can't imagine they'd be held in such high esteem to warrant such outcry about their return despite their incredibly unique gameplay mechanic. Wii Fit and Duck Hunt are oft neglected and quite honestly Ice Climbers don't get a whole lot of play in this game either... I get why, their role is somewhat niche but all of that put together does kind of send a message. Will as many fans cry when a character as zany and unique as Piranha Plant is removed next game? What if it was added in 64? I genuinely don't know.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Up to this point, I don't think the opportunity has been there for Fire Emblem to take a breather like that. Smash 4 saw the obligatory Awakening characters added because that game was a turning point for the series.
But here's the thing.

Sakurai has gone on record that timing helped Awakening a lot more than anyone could imagine.

Regardless of what turning point it was for the franchise, Sakurai flat out stated if the game released months earlier than it did, then there wouldn't have even been consideration for a fighter in the first place. And do you honestly think we would have gone back to add someone else like Lyn or Micaiah or whoever? No. We just would have gone without Robin and Lucina and Fire Emblem would still just have Marth and Ike.

Which is kind of where we hypothetically are now with Engage. If Engage was too "early" to be even considered for a fighter, then simply put, we just wouldn't have Alear or whoever. This wouldn't be a "let's go back and add some older character". It would be whatever is trending at the time the roster is being decided, as he has stated.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Gameplay-wise, I've also always felt that Lyn makes a perfect third counterpart to Marth and Ike.
In a nutshell, heavy, light, and mid.
Ike wants to crush you with brute force, Lyn wants to dance in circles around you, and Marth mostly just wants a fair fight, allowing his superior skill to win out.
Makes me wish Lyn was playable in Brawl; it's a dynamic that I imagine in Subspace Emissary.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
But here's the thing.

Sakurai has gone on record that timing helped Awakening a lot more than anyone could imagine.

Regardless of what turning point it was for the franchise, Sakurai flat out stated if the game released months earlier than it did, then there wouldn't have even been consideration for a fighter in the first place. And do you honestly think we would have gone back to add someone else like Lyn or Micaiah or whoever? No. We just would have gone without Robin and Lucina and Fire Emblem would still just have Marth and Ike.

Which is kind of where we hypothetically are now with Engage. If Engage was too "early" to be even considered for a fighter, then simply put, we just wouldn't have Alear or whoever. This wouldn't be a "let's go back and add some older character". It would be whatever is trending at the time the roster is being decided, as he has stated.
The Awakening point is interesting, I didn't remember that. I'd appreciate a source on that, but it does ring a bell. Your points are solid justification for why you feel the way you do about it. I'm confused why you quoted "early" here though, and said it last time, I specified that wasn't really the issue I had with Alear and don't recall drilling in that point all that much. Unless you're referring to what Sakurai said about Awakening? I guess by extension Engage is a bit too early to be equivalent to Fates and Three Houses, but ultimately I just didn't believe it was popular enough to demand a new playable character detached from that.

I dunno, I get it but I'm just posing another option that frankly, I still think is valid because Lyn is perpetually "trending" within the series and a lot about the selection process or who he wants to add can shift within 10 years. With how much FE has grown in both scale and popularity I don't think it needs to be quite as rigid anymore and that "stigma" didn't exist 10 years ago where now I think there's an opportunity for a course correction. It's not something I'm 100% sold on but I figure there's nothing wrong with posing the hypothetical when Fire Emblem discussion is otherwise so sterile and pessimistic. But ultimately it's not something I feel strong enough about to try and really have a debate about either, I just think it's possible.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
The Awakening point is interesting, I didn't remember that. I'd appreciate a source on that, but it does ring a bell. Your points are solid justification for why you feel the way you do about it. I'm confused why you quoted "early" here though, and said it last time, I specified that wasn't really the issue I had with Alear and don't recall drilling in that point all that much. Unless you're referring to what Sakurai said about Awakening? I guess by extension Engage is a bit too early to be equivalent to Fates and Three Houses, but ultimately I just didn't believe it was popular enough to demand a new playable character.

I dunno, I get it but I'm just posing another option that frankly, I still think is valid because Lyn is perpetually "trending" within the series and a lot about the selection process or who he wants to add can shift within 10 years. With how much FE has grown in both scale and popularity I don't think it needs to be quite as rigid anymore. It's not something I'm 100% sold on but I figure there's nothing wrong with posing the hypothetical when Fire Emblem discussion is otherwise so sterile and pessimistic. But ultimately it's not something I feel strong enough about to try and really have a debate about either, I just think it's possible.

Source is here. I specifically point out "early" because that's pretty much the only reason Engage would be looked over, especially with the hypothetical that the more "timely" release is the hypothetical remake yet to be announced.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Source is here. I specifically point out "early" because that's pretty much the only reason Engage would be looked over, especially with the hypothetical that the more "timely" release is the hypothetical remake yet to be announced.
Appreciate the source. That quote is really confusing to me honestly, because I don't know why six months earlier would have made a difference there.

The six months later variable is obvious because it would have missed the project plan, but that's the one Sakurai usually highlights and does so earlier in the interview too. I guess there may have been concern about a new game being made after the fact and rendering the focus on Awakening a bit outdated, but Awakening was still the most recent title when Smash 4 released and Fates was some distance away. I'm sure Awakening still would have been on the radar if he really wanted to assess which games were hot at the time. Does he just say that to further emphasize how time sensitive certain additions could be, and less as something to be taken literally? I don't know, it's odd.

Anyway, I haven't totally been swayed off my stance on the whole thing because I feel like I'm coming at this from a bit of a different angle than you are, one that moreso favors Lyn's individual merit over feeling obliged to add another Fire Emblem character explicitly - plus marketing for FE has evolved a lot since Awakening, there's far more merch and stuff like Heroes and Warriors didn't exist yet - but yeah it makes a lot of sense why you would and probably should be skeptical of it. I think there's room for a different direction next time but it's safe to assume the status quo.

From a fairness standpoint I think Fire Emblem should be able to explore its history the same way any other series would and it would be a shame if it remains locked into a cycle of trucking forward and leaving good characters behind. But I guess that's where we are now and it wouldn't be that shocking if that's how it continued to be. Appreciate the alternate perspective since it made for an insightful conversation but hope you could at least get where I was trying to come from too.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
A lightweight big-body character that has great maneuverability options and attack range would be a super interesting archetype, too.
You just described Mewtwo lol

I want to agree that it's just a matter of making a name for yourself and developing fans within Smash, but I honestly think the only requisite for becoming a staple for many is "comes back for two or more games". People are so fickle about which characters are worth a damn and which ones aren't, right now pretty much everyone is saying to go ahead and ditch Incineroar even though he's one of the most archetypically concise and fun characters added in recent memory. If Jigglypuff was added today she would be met with the same frustration as Piranha Plant. Context and longevity are definitely crucial to establishing these internal legacies. Controversial, obscure or less immediately embraced new characters are at a disadvantage by default because expectations have been so formally established over the series history. The scale of the roster means you never really have to bother with them either.

I think Sheik adds a lot to the roster dynamic, but somewhat pessimistically I believe the main reason a lot of people are willing to acknowledge this is because she's been with the series for 20 years. Had Ice Climbers been in Smash 4 or Ultimate and not Melee, I can't imagine they'd be held in such high esteem to warrant such outcry about their return despite their incredibly unique gameplay mechanic. Wii Fit and Duck Hunt are oft neglected and quite honestly Ice Climbers don't get a whole lot of play in this game either... I get why, their role is somewhat niche but all of that put together does kind of send a message. Will as many fans cry when a character as zany and unique as Piranha Plant is removed next game? What if it was added in 64? I genuinely don't know.
Sheik isn't nearly as obscure of a choice as people make him out to be. There's a different between Sheik and characters who were obscure/"weird" on arrival. Sheik's initial inclusion was very justified. He's pretty much your only ally in the adult portion of the game, is stated to take action off-screen (saving Ruto/investigating the Kakariko well), was very prevalent in promo material, and was really the first time that Zelda took up an active role. Like Peach with SMB2 and SMRPG being her first non-damsel roles (at least for the latter part of SMRPG), it was inevitable that OoT being Zelda's first foray into a supporting/active role would significantly influence her Smash portrayal.

Sorry for the little tangent, but I've seen way too many people suggesting Sheik should be cut and citing "lack of relevance" or "lack of canon appearances". That's true, but that's also not the point of the character. Sheik is a snapshot of a really transformative (pun unintended) time in the series. And he's not just some side character either. When you think of OoT, Sheik is among the first things that come to mind.

All of that aside... his playstyle. People don't talk about it, but Sheik in Smash is a pioneer. The lightning fast but weak "death by a thousand cuts" fighter is pretty much required for a fighting game. Which you never see people mention in these convos! Another instance of Smash not being treated as a game. These characters aren't just icons. They've forged their own fighting game identities. Which is also why the conversation around moveset reworks gets so messy.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sorry for the little tangent, but I've seen way too many people suggesting Sheik should be cut and citing "lack of relevance" or "lack of canon appearances". That's true, but that's also not the point of the character. Sheik is a snapshot of a really transformative (pun unintended) time in the series. And he's not just some side character either. When you think of OoT, Sheik is among the first things that come to mind.
I agree with you, I was just using them as an example since they were mentioned prior and because "one-shots" and more contemporary picks are such a point of contention these days. Sheik ought to be judged differently as an extension of Zelda for a good decade too, but I feel like if they were added today the kneejerk reaction would be to treat them as expendable to be cut loose next time. Despite how fresh and original their playstyle is, the interesting dynamics they bring to the roster and so forth.

Hell, a lot of people are already treating Sheik this way even with the legacy. Not saying they're 100% safe but I think your latter point rings true and is a great reason for Sheik to remain a part of the series. 64 and Melee characters do have a slight advantage in the way they've founded character archetypes and playstyles that would be built upon and iterated throughout... so from exclusively that angle Sheik feels about as expendable as Fox or Marth, which is to say not very.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Appreciate the source. That quote is really confusing to me honestly, because I don't know why six months earlier would have made a difference there.

The six months later variable is obvious because it would have missed the project plan, but that's the one Sakurai usually highlights and does so earlier in the interview too. I guess there may have been concern about a new game being made after the fact and rendering the focus on Awakening a bit outdated, but Awakening was still the most recent title when Smash 4 released and Fates was some distance away. I'm sure Awakening still would have been on the radar if he really wanted to assess which games were hot at the time. Does he just say that to further emphasize how time sensitive certain additions could be, and less as something to be taken literally? I don't know, it's odd.

Anyway, I haven't totally been swayed off my stance on the whole thing because I feel like I'm coming at this from a bit of a different angle than you are, one that moreso favors Lyn's individual merit over feeling obliged to add another Fire Emblem character explicitly - plus marketing for FE has evolved a lot since Awakening, there's far more merch and stuff like Heroes and Warriors didn't exist yet - but yeah it makes a lot of sense why you would and probably should be skeptical of it. I think there's room for a different direction next time but it's safe to assume the status quo.

From a fairness standpoint I think Fire Emblem should be able to explore its history the same way any other series would and it would be a shame if it remains locked into a cycle of trucking forward and leaving good characters behind. But I guess that's where we are now and it wouldn't be that shocking if that's how it continued to be. Appreciate the alternate perspective since it made for an insightful conversation but hope you could at least get where I was trying to come from too.
I can see where you're coming from, but I'm just simply one to go with information we have available to us and precedence to base my predictions around. Can precedence be broken? Of course. But it would have to be a really unique occurrence that frankly, I can't see in the case with Lyn, especially when she's not the only one the argument could be made for (i.e. Edelgard).

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you, I was just using them as an example since they were mentioned prior and because "one-shots" and more contemporary picks are such a point of contention these days. Sheik ought to be judged differently as an extension of Zelda for a good decade too, but I feel like if they were added today the kneejerk reaction would be to treat them as expendable to be cut loose next time. Despite how fresh and original their playstyle is, the interesting dynamics they bring to the roster and so forth.

Hell, a lot of people are already treating Sheik this way even with the legacy. Not saying they're 100% safe but I think your latter point rings true and is a great reason for Sheik to remain a part of the series. 64 and Melee characters do have a slight advantage in the way they've founded character archetypes and playstyles that would be built upon and iterated throughout... so from exclusively that angle Sheik feels about as expendable as Fox or Marth, which is to say not very.
This all just stems from the notion that characters are here to "represent" games. To most Smash speculators, SSB!Sheik's loose connection to OoT isn't enough to carry him, because there's a better and objectively more important OoT representative in Ganondorf. However, once you realize that most of these characters are here to represent themselves, it becomes a lot clearer that Sheik has merits both in his series in in Smash.

Not saying that game representation doesn't matter. Rosalina is a good example: she was picked exclusively as a Mario Galaxy rep, as mentioned in the SSB4 project plan. However, she has enough of her own identity sprinkled in her moveset that she, as the closest example of a "game rep", still feels detached from the fans' notion.

Tying this back to the ongoing convo about Lyn: she can both represent herself and FE in a really cool way. Adding to the fact that she complements Marth & Ike's Smash movesets and designs, she also rounds out the classic FE cast in a really nice way. Marth, from the first game; Lyn, from the first international game; Ike, from the first home console/3D game. That one is a bit arbitrary, but adding to the fact that she's a consistently popular character, I'd say she has enough reasons.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'm just simply one to go with information we have available to us and precedence to base my predictions around. Can precedence be broken? Of course. But it would have to be a really unique occurrence that frankly, I can't see in the case with Lyn, especially when she's not the only one the argument could be made for (i.e. Edelgard).
Edegard isn't really comparable to Lyn. Byleth specifically got in as a Three Houses representative, so Edelgard would be redundant in that regard. Also, besides Awakening's special circumstances (AKA echo fighter luck), there's not a single FE game that SSB double dips in. Not to mention that SSB Byleth already uses Edelgard's weapon. Lol

Lyn is from an unrepresented game that can also be counted as sort of a landmark for FE (first international release). She's been consistently popular for the past 15+ years, whereas Edelgard's hype has worn off, especially after the game came out and it was revealed that she... you know. She's contentious and, uh, morally gray, which is interesting. But still doesn't compare to Lyn's prevalence and popularity.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Tying this back to the ongoing convo about Lyn: she can both represent herself and FE in a really cool way. Adding to the fact that she complements Marth & Ike's Smash movesets and designs, she also rounds out the classic FE cast in a really nice way. Marth, from the first game; Lyn, from the first international game; Ike, from the first home console/3D game. That one is a bit arbitrary, but adding to the fact that she's a consistently popular character, I'd say she has enough reasons.
Probably better to say 3D game, cause NES and SNES do count as home consoles.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
On the Topic of Newcomer spread and variation, Here is the Amount of New Franchises Each Smash game has added

Smash 64: 10 Franchises
Melee: 3 Franchises
Brawl: 6 Franchises
Smash 4: 7 Franchises (8 if you want to Count miis)
Ultimate: 2 Franchises

With DLC

Smash 4: 10 Franchises (11 with Miis))
Ultimate: 10 Franchises

2 of the New Franchises in Brawl were 3rd party
5 of the New Franchises in Smash 4 were 3rd Party, with 3 being DLC
8 of the New Franchises were 3rd Party, with 7 being DLC

Melee and Brawl really did their job in Making sure the Franchises represented at that point got all, or most of their Important Players

I would like to see New Franchises in the future, and I Mean in Base game.
---------------------------------------------------------------

On Shiek, I just think the problem is depending on the Cuts, I don't know how much of a Priority she is. But OOT is Iconic game, and she did have a major role in that as well as being Zelda's first active role in the Series. And she is the introduction of the "Thousand cut" playstyle as well as the Ninja archytype, but we do have Greninja for that though to an extent, even if Shiek is more Free Flow Mobile

I feel like the Main reason Alear would get in at this point is if they wanted to put in the Engage Mechanics as a Character moveset. It's probably something that would be Impossible on the Switch Hardware, but with this New Console, it might be showcase of how Powerful this New Switch could be

But Lyn -> Alear. An Iaido Character would be fun if that's the Aspect of her moveset they focus on, and also we can't have Lyn be an Assist for 2 Decades with her Popularity. Also if the Next Game does costumes, they will definitely have a Field day with her like they did in Heroes

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Speaking of the Zelda franchise...

In the past Sakurai has indicated that he thinks a child Link is important and that has manifested in :ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:. Since the creation of a child Link, there's been at least one (usually Toon Link) in every Smash game.

Do you think Sakurai still feels this way? Without devolving into which one it would be, do you think we'd still keep one of them? In a time where the roster may need to trim the fat, is a second Link necessary in Sakurai's eyes?

Personally I'd love for Toon Link to stay. And Zelda needs more characters, not less, imo. I think Brawl and Smash 4's Zelda roster should be the minimum at this point.
:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Something I'm quite curious about. How many actually think Alear would only be just be a sword user with Engage mechanics? And don't know about Alear being able to fight with martial arts and outright Galick Guns?
When the first DBZ rep for Smash Bros is another Fire Emblem...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Speaking of the Zelda franchise...

In the past Sakurai has indicated that he thinks a child Link is important and that has manifested in :ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:. Since the creation of a child Link, there's been at least one (usually Toon Link) in every Smash game.

Do you think Sakurai still feels this way? Without devolving into which one it would be, do you think we'd still keep one of them? In a time where the roster may need to trim the fat, is a second Link necessary in Sakurai's eyes?

Personally I'd love for Toon Link to stay. And Zelda needs more characters, not less, imo. I think Brawl and Smash 4's Zelda roster should be the minimum at this point.
:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:
I think a second Link is probably gonna be considered more important than ever with regular Link becoming more different (to the point his Green Tunic is no longer the default)

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman

For what it's worth, I'm fairly sure the tendancy to ditch Plant and Incineroar is 99% confined to the speculation scene. Not like suggesting the literal bonus character to be expendable requires that much thought, but I digress.
People love those two. The reactions to Plant were hysterical, #plantgang was everywhere, and Incineroar always fires up the crowd in competitive play. Whenever character usage is tracked down, they both end up in the top 25 or so which is pretty good - of course tracking like this is limited to tourneys, but these are two low tier or anyways difficult to win with characters, the high usage rate is easier to explain with people just liking to play as them. And it's anectodical, but I don't know anyone who doesn't like them.
Those two in particular were slam dunks I think.

Wii Fit and Duck Hunt I don't know, I feel like they're definitely less popular.
100% personal impression but I think that they fall to the same trappings that most of the Smash 4 characters do: they're not particularly flashy, and on top of that they feel very wonky to play and very weak too if you don't know what you're doing, which you only start to get the hang of after a while.
They definitely got better at designing weird movesets in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Something I'm quite curious about. How many actually think Alear would only be just be a sword user with Engage mechanics? And don't know about Alear being able to fight with martial arts and outright Galick Guns?
When the first DBZ rep for Smash Bros is another Fire Emblem...
Alear's "canonical" class uses swords and when they promote they gain use of Martial Arts. I feel their moveset would be a combination of both (Sword for regulars and aerials, Arts for Smash attacks). The Special moves would be Engage moves, like Celica's Warp Ragnarok (Up+B), Sigurd's Charge (Side+B), and stuff like that. Final Smash would likely be Bond Blast.

I want Nintendo to officially announce the next Smash exists already so that we can reopen the character support threads and discuss Alear in their own topic. There are way too many things I want to talk about.

Top Bottom