• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
No shade, but I feel like a lot of the people who want Smash to keep building on Ultimate and propping up the "everyone is here!" shtick for the rest of eternity don't actually play the game.

Now hear me out, I know it sounds weird. But a lot of them seem to straight up not care at all about the game's mechanics, modes, graphics, and any content aside from the roster of playable characters. They're here for the Internet hype, but disregard anything aside from the crossover aspect of Smash.

It's just dawned on me that—especially after Ultimate—a lot of people treat Smash as a cultural phenomenon rather than... a video game.
I wouldn’t say that they don’t play the game. Because they do. But I think it comes down to different priorities + the Switch’s and Ultimate’s success + the fear of losing their favourite characters.

I imagine the next game would be a shock for the ‘hype’ crowd as there may be less third parties and legacy characters this time around.

I also think that Ultimate’s successor just isn’t going to be as commercially successful as Ultimate. It doesn’t matter what route they take (Ultimate Deluxe, traditional sequel, full reboot), there will be a drop-off from Ultimate.

I think the best way to view Smash is like a time capsule. The games tend to be really good at looking back at the previous generation of the consoles, compared to the current system.

Melee for N64, Brawl for GC and GBA, 3DS/Wii U for the Wii/DS, and Ultimate for the 3DS and Wii U (Ultimate was lucky enough to play catch-up with its DLC).

Perhaps the next game will focus more on what the Switch (and early Switch 2) brought us, as I think there is still a lot to showcase in Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Let's switch it around a bit.

Are there any stages introduced in Ultimate that you don't like? Why?

Personally I think Minecraft World is... Very underwhelming. With something as creatively open as Minecraft, the stage is very bland. And I don't mean simple, I mean bland. Cloud Sea of Alrest is simple, but it stands out in it's layout and it's fun to play on.
this is an interesting one. i suppose none of them are what i'd call unplayable but disappointing sure. cloud sea of alrest being one such disappointment, in their attempt to represent the games other locations we've ended up with a location that is practically cutscene exclusive and less than a minute of gameplay on. i don't like the king of the fighters stadium and that's cause i never took to the idea of including multiple elements to make smash more like a traditional fighter. plus 50 tracks and only 10 good ones, what a waste.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
this is an interesting one. i suppose none of them are what i'd call unplayable but disappointing sure. cloud sea of alrest being one such disappointment, in their attempt to represent the games other locations we've ended up with a location that is practically cutscene exclusive and less than a minute of gameplay on. i don't like the king of the fighters stadium and that's cause i never took to the idea of including multiple elements to make smash more like a traditional fighter. plus 50 tracks and only 10 good ones, what a waste.
King of fighters is certainly a choice, honestly I wouldn't be opposed to that style of stage becoming the next Battlefield or Final Destination

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just want EIH to happen again (even if I know it won't) because a number of characters I like to play as aren't safe returns. :V
I went into a whole discussion a few pages back so I don’t really feel like repeating myself here but I’ll just say that I completely agree with you. Not only are my favorite characters likely cuts but a smaller roster means the less mainstream characters have a much smaller chance of making it in as newcomers. I care more about still being able to play with my favorite characters than reaching some arbitrarily high number just for the sake of it. I’ve spent several thousand hours with the series, whether that’s playing the game or making mods. I’m just a casual gamer so the roster means more to me than the mechanics, unless they really get in the way of playing like tripping in Brawl.

That said, I do still care a lot about modes and stages. I feel like Smash has been lacking a great single player mode since Brawl. Despite its flaws, I loved Subspace Emissary. I thought it was a ton of fun to emphasize the platformer aspect of the series and gave me something fun to do cooperatively with my brother and friends. It was also great to see the characters actually interact with each other.

For stages, I really miss the unique layouts from Smash 64 and Melee that made you feel like you were actually in the location and not a random floating platform in front of it like some of Ultimate’s stages. I did have a lot of fun with Stage Builder to build more of the kinds of stages I’m looking for but there’s still a lot of room for improvements with that feature.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
A few obscure-ish songs I think would be cool in smash bros (and who they could come packaged with)

Excitebiker

Starman

Terra (If any pre-7 FF character got in I’d want them to bring music from the whole Nintendo era)

Ryu Hayabusa (I know it sounds weird but Tecmo could do an SNK, why not?)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
A few obscure-ish songs I think would be cool in smash bros (and who they could come packaged with)

Excitebiker

Starman

Terra (If any pre-7 FF character got in I’d want them to bring music from the whole Nintendo era)

I really like that Mystic Quest song. I haven’t heard that one before. I’ll share some of my most wanted songs and newcomers here too:

Rash/Pimple/Zitz
Fulgore
Bill Rizer
Magus
H’aanit
Sub-Zero
Lu Bu
Ceruledge
Kerrigan
Noah/Mio
Alphen and Shionne
Zegram
Xemnas
Zero
Jinx

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Excitebiker

Starman

This arrangement just screams “remix me for Smash”

Laniv

Smash Champion
Let's switch it around a bit.

Are there any stages introduced in Ultimate that you don't like? Why?

Personally I think Minecraft World is... Very underwhelming. With something as creatively open as Minecraft, the stage is very bland. And I don't mean simple, I mean bland. Cloud Sea of Alrest is simple, but it stands out in it's layout and it's fun to play on.
Moray Towers is, much like its Splatoon equivalent, really awkward to play on

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Moray Towers is, much like its Splatoon equivalent, really awkward to play on
I actually liked Moray Towers because it had a really interesting layout but I get that it could get awkward at times. I think the Ultimate stages I was most disappointed in were Hollow Bastion, Northern Crater, and the Cloud Sea of Alrest. My favorites were Mishima Dojo, Spiral Mountain, and King of Fighter’s Stadium. I love the aesthetics of some of the more basic stages like the ones I mentioned earlier but I wish they were more interesting to fight on.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I actually liked Moray Towers because it had a really interesting layout but I get that it could get awkward at times. I think the Ultimate stages I was most disappointed in were Hollow Bastion, Northern Crater, and the Cloud Sea of Alrest. My favorites were Mishima Dojo, Spiral Mountain, and King of Fighter’s Stadium. I love the aesthetics of some of the more basic stages like the ones I mentioned earlier but I wish they were more interesting to fight on.
fellow spiral mountain enjoyer 🤝

I know a lot of people hate the spinning but I absolutely love it. It makes the whole thing feel like a chaotic carnival ride which is just perfect for Banjo's aesthetic as a whole, and I find it a genius way of incorporating 3D movement into a 2D platform fighter. Not to mention all of the cameos from Banjo's cast, it's really nice to see Mumbo, Bottles, Tooty, the Jinjos, and Gruntilda doing their thing around the environment.

It really is one of my favorite stages from the DLC. It's just a plain old wacky fun time.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
fellow spiral mountain enjoyer 🤝

I know a lot of people hate the spinning but I absolutely love it. It makes the whole thing feel like a chaotic carnival ride which is just perfect for Banjo's aesthetic as a whole, and I find it a genius way of incorporating 3D movement into a 2D platform fighter. Not to mention all of the cameos from Banjo's cast, it's really nice to see Mumbo, Bottles, Tooty, the Jinjos, and Gruntilda doing their thing around the environment.

It really is one of my favorite stages from the DLC. It's just a plain old wacky fun time.
Yeah, it was also relatively basic but it shook things up just enough to keep things interesting. Kind of like the Umbral Tower from Smash 4. I also liked that it felt like you were fighting in an actual part of the stage on that one and not a floating platform like some of my more disappointing stages. Another stage that was pretty cool was the CastleVania stage. I just wish that one was more of a walk off but it was still cool.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
First, there was the Year of Luigi.

Now this is seems like the Year of Shadow.

I always recreating the Nintendo vs. SEGA rivalry in Smash Bros. Even if it's not the best representation of it, at least we still got Mario vs Sonic.

Who do people think is the next most likely SEGA character for Smash?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Most of them, actually. A lot of them feel like they're too bland for casual play while not being tournament legal either so no one really wins.

Also Moray Towers for the reason Laniv mentioned.
Glad to hear I’m not alone in that. New stages were one area where Ultimate was pretty lacking. Thankfully, they brought most of the old ones back with visual updates. There are still a few Ultimate ones I enjoy but I still prefer the more interesting layouts of 64 and Melee’s stages.

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice

I always recreating the Nintendo vs. SEGA rivalry in Smash Bros. Even if it's not the best representation of it, at least we still got Mario vs Sonic.

Between arle nadja or shadow as a semi clone.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’d be down for Shadow, Knuckles, or another Sonic character for Smash. I never really played the series too much but I always thought their character designs were pretty cool. Sonic is also iconic enough that I could see the series getting a second character.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
I forget if I brought this up last time we did a Sega conversation but as much as I want a second sonic rep and as much legacy as puyo puyo has... I think it'd be insane on sakurai's part if the next Sega rep wasn't Kiryu. I've never played a LaD game but everything I've heard about it in the last decade or so has made me increasingly want to check it out. The game series is hitting a new peak in terms of casual and hardcore acclaim, and everything Ive seen about them makes me think that the dragon of dojima would fit this game's tone like a glove.

Like, imagine a trailer animated by the rgg team...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Sakura Shinguji is pretty slept on, IMO.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
So what song should play in Shadow's reveal trailer?
It comes from a game with a bad rep, but in my opinion it really should be 'I am all of me'

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The one from the game I like the most. :4pacman:

There’s too many equally valid options/possibilities to choose from. SEGA has tons of legacy and new content coming out this year. I can’t pick a favorite.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Discounting a second Sonic which is also a very real possibility - one of Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Phantasy Star or Virtua Fighter. We have data and reports telling us that these are what SEGA considers their major non-Sonic IP - as well as Sakura Wars but I feel that one's got too much going against it atm even though I'm a big fan - so I feel like they're as good of guesses as any.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I'm just not putting any hopes up in regards to reps because lately when we feel like a series or a company getting a character is a shoe-in, they surprisingly don't happen.

More often than not, when a character is propped up as a shoo-in by the speculation scene, that's a good sign that character isn't making it.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
BTW my Most wanted would be Gameboy Link! Aka LA Remake Link (PLS NINTENO give us a shorthand)
Although i really dont want him to join under a new moniker i think lumping him in with toon Link is enough! After all toon link has two balts based on the older Links Anyways just replace those with la and a nes recolor of him!
I mean By Definition LAR Link is Cartoony so hes not to out of place!

For Non Links it would be Dark MAtter from Kirby but in his Eye Form instead of the Swordsman!

Ivander

Smash Legend
im with you on that one. I think we all greatly overestimate nearly everyone’s chances
I don't think it's necessarily a case of overestimating, but more that we look at some characters and series that we believe deserves to be in, but Sakurai either has others in mind and/or priorities other factors over the factors we think about. Especially when newcomer space is limited.
Like no one denies that Chun-Li is deserving to be in Smash Bros. We just tend to look at her because of her notable factors like popularity, iconic standing and etc and not, "Are there other characters that Sakurai has in mind?", "Is there other factors Sakurai is prioritising right now aside from popularity and whatnot." and etc.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, I will be honest; Moray Towers is fine, but I found it to be an odd choice for a stage in Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Top Bottom