• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I think with so many characters, I can't expect too many newcomers, I'm surprised some here think there could be that many new ones left,.. but maybe, who knows..the more the better :)
There's certainly still a handful left. Nintendo wouldn't just outright reveal everything on the roster but a couple of characters.

I'd guess we have 6-8 more newcomers at most. Especially since 'Echoes' are kind of an established thing now and the way they made it sound makes it seem like there's still more new Echo Fighters. Which... Really isn't tasking to develop since they're nearly copy/pastes of other existing characters.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think with so many characters, I can't expect too many newcomers, I'm surprised some here think there could be that many new ones left,.. but maybe, who knows..the more the better :)
One thing that gives me some hope is that a lot of the characters they are bringing back are ones that were added to be quick to make: Young Link, Pichu and Wolf. I also read a Verge article where they note one of the reasons they could do this was because they could move characters over easier from the Wii U and Switch. I don't think it will be anything crazy. If we get to #70, I'll be satisfied and if it somehow can get to #72 I'm jumping on.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
well, we have 68 now right? 72 seems pretty reasonable. And if maybe nintendo wants to surprise us even more, great :)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I feel like if Toon Zelda (And Dixie Kong) where to be re implemented, that Sakurai would probably just bring back the old plans he had for her in Brawl and develop her as a normal clone/semi-clone.

In fact, I think I'd prefer to have more proper clones and semi clones over echo fighters if we can't have too many unique newcomers this time around, Lucina and Dark Pit really didn't do much for me even though I'm normally cool with low priority quick to make characters.
I have never thought about it that way. Maybe Sakurai will not do a disservice to Dixie after all if he already made a moveset for her.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
There was that fake 4chan leak that made a fighter out of all the old NES sports games called the "Athlete". It's actually a pretty neat idea, where the character isn't just one character and changes their appearance every move.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I'm fine whether or not Bomberman is an AT or a Fighter, but those who say Bomberman wouldn't have an interesting or flexible moveset hasn't really played Bomberman's games. Even in factoring just the first game, there's already a bunch of mechanics you could easily make into moves. Take a look at the bomb aspect of it. Just the basics of the amount of bombs and size of the explosion can easily be turned into a mechanic. Adding in the later games like Super Bomberman and the new one, where more enemies, more varied stages and gimmicks, more characters, more bomb types, more movement mechanics can easily be translated into a moveset that I assume most people who only casually know about Bomberman would simply relegate to "he just drops bombs".

We've have far more characters the reach all over for the moveset. Starting with Falcon, then with G&W, and we've had Wii Fit, ROB, and Villager.
I know I'm a bit late to the game on this post, but this is a great point. I wouldn't say he was a character I actively supported, more if he was included I would have been happy. I relate it to Little Mac as someone who all he really does is punch. But they made it work. If they wanted Bomberman as a full character, they would have made it work, and I'm willing to bet it would've been a very interesting moveset when it was all said and done.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Bomberman’s inclusion as an Assist Trophy was frankly pretty insulting, and the only part of the Smash reveal I felt like Sakurai had ****ed up.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1009453594070999041

Sakurai confirmed planning for Smash 5 was completed during 2015. This is coincides with the severe lack of Cappy in Mario's moveset, as well as the Inklings sporting only Splatoon 1 designs, with only Lil Judd as the single Splatoon 2 references.

I already talked about ARMS in the context of this, and this only makes me believe more that the franchise is not getting playable reps.

*At least not until DLC, but again the whole Inkling situation, or lack of, in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well Elma just got a lot more likely.
Not if Sakurai is focusing heavily on the ballot for newcomers.

Elma wasn't really talked about much during the ballot since Xenoblade Chronicles X had yet to be released. So people would have had to vote for someone they didn't know much about.

Normally I'd think a character like Elma would be in a good position (if we were getting something like 14+ newcomers), but the fact that there are less slots this time around as well makes me think that that combined with her lack of presence on the ballot could end up sinking her.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Not if Sakurai is focusing heavily on the ballot for newcomers.

Elma wasn't really talked about much during the ballot since Xenoblade Chronicles X had yet to be released. So people would have had to vote for someone they didn't know much about.

Normally I'd think a character like Elma would be in a good position (if we were getting something like 14+ newcomers), but the fact that there are less slots this time around as well makes me think that that combined with her lack of presence on the ballot could end up sinking her.
You bring up a fair point. Elma would have been best suited for Corrin's spot in the DLC period of Smash 4. I do agree that the ballot will be very important, and is why I'm confident in K. Rool's chances.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Planning concluded in late 2015. Switch was revealed mid 2016. Is it possible that he could draw inspiration from any early Switch titles, given that dev time was shared?

Obviously this kills a lot of Switch game characters like Spring Man and Rex. Any kind of recent release promotion that has been done in past games won't work here, outside of games released 2013-2015 like Splatoon. This also seems to kill Celica's chances. However, I think echo fighters like Funky and Octoling are fine as they're last minute, and, like Lucina, were probably added after the planning phase.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Smash ultimate concept finished in December 2015 the ballot ended September 2015

That tells me I was defiantly right about we are not getting a ARMS rep in the base roster

And the base roster characters newcomers are from the ballot most voted for.

So I'm definitely locking on to king k rool and Dixie kong as newcomers

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Sun & Moon wasn’t released until late 2016, but how do you explain the Sun & Moon Pokemon we’ve seen so far, unless Sakurai is privy to most of the Sun & Moon designs by the time planning was done.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I know it's a little ****ty, but I'm incredibly excited by the news that Smash Ultimate was finalized in December 2015. That means the roster was likely on lock down by that point with a couple of possible exceptions. But it gives some extra credit to the ballot being used as a determining factor in the decisions of the newcomers which aligns with the Ridley addition at the behest of the fans. I think this also means a lot of the crazy speculation and assumptions people made on the roster gets knocked down a peg.

I think that's a pretty strong indication that characters like Rex, an ARMS Representative, and especially third party characters like Crash and all the absurdity that came following Cloud and Bayonetta are also less relevant to the roster. Elma is now probably the biggest tossup in terms of if she was properly considered for Smash or not from Xenoblade Chronicles X. That leaves the big fan requests, and probably the likes of Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, and Ashley as the more "relevant" picks, alongside potential high ranking ballot choices of King K. Rool, Geno, and Isaac.

This news also makes me think that Rayman and Simon Belmont are practically the only two possibilities we have for base roster third party representatives. Rayman given his little cameo in Smash 4, and Simon Belmont just because of the Konami angle. Which the more I consider things, the more I see us not getting a new third party representative... Which I'm mostly ok with.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sun & Moon wasn’t released until late 2016, but how do you explain the Sun & Moon Pokemon we’ve seen so far, unless Sakurai is privy to most of the Sun & Moon designs by the time planning was done.
Pokemon was the one exception given in Smash 4 in terms of not prioritising anything from far into the future, newcomer-wise.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
This pretty much changes my whole outlook on newcomers since the deadline was December 2015.

1. Decidueye (the exception to the deadline)
2. King K. Rool
3. Isaac
4. Geno
5. Chrom (I swear, his title card better say “Chrom Gets His Chance!”)
6. Elma (against my better judgment)
7. Simon Belmont
8. Rayman (Ubisoft is like “We’ll put Mario characters in our game if you put Rayman in yours? Then they swap dong pics)
9. Shovel Knight

DLC
1. Spring Man
2. Rex
3. Zelda Rep
4. Banjo & Kazooie (If Sakurai can do a crazy, seductive fan dance to get Cloud in, then Banjo is next.)
5. Wreck-It Ralph (just for lolz)

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
It's interesting to say the least. Xeno X rep like Elma would cause a riot among a lot of people, mostly because that game was omega screwed into obscurity by gamestop and being a somewhat unusual Wii U exclusive, I can see a lot of people wonder why elmo from sesame street was in if she was confirm. I think the smartest thing would be to focus on the big asked for characters even more now because of how awkward the wii u era was for it's titles.

This does increase my expectations for a Sumo Mon by a lot, I really don't want one in myself because pokemon's cool but there's so many to choose from already, and doesn't have the geno clause of being different from anything else in their franchise. Sorry Decid fans but i'm holding out for an Ultra Beast instead of a starter, those guys are pretty wild.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai confirmed planning for Smash 5 was completed during 2015.
I believe it was December 2015... well that's a surprise. I think it's pretty safe to assume that Rex won't be on the base roster (however I was skeptical towards an ARMS rep even before this). I think we can expect most of the newcomers to be ballot picks. However, hope this doesn't mean we won't get "Sakurai picks" such as Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt, because discovering these surprise additions is something that really hypes me up when a new Smash is around the corner.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
4. Banjo & Kazooie (If Sakurai can do a crazy, seductive fan dance to get Cloud in, then Banjo is next.)
Phil Spencer, the head of Xbox, has already stated he wants Banjo & Kazooie in the game.

So it's really a matter of whether Sakurai/Nintendo wants them in the game or not. Unlike Cloud and Snake, B&K could potentially be a direct competitor to Nintendo's child-friendly demographic if Xbox ever decides to take advantage of the IP. (Which, inexplicably, they never really have?)

Troykv

Smash Master
It's interesting to say the least. Xeno X rep like Elma would cause a riot among a lot of people, mostly because that game was omega screwed into obscurity by gamestop and being a somewhat unusual Wii U exclusive, I can see a lot of people wonder why elmo from sesame street was in if she was confirm. I think the smartest thing would be to focus on the big asked for characters even more now because of how awkward the wii u era was for it's titles.

This does increase my expectations for a Sumo Mon by a lot, I really don't want one in myself because pokemon's cool but there's so many to choose from already, and doesn't have the geno clause of being different from anything else in their franchise. Sorry Decid fans but i'm holding out for an Ultra Beast instead of a starter, those guys are pretty wild.
For a Niche Wii U RPG Game; Xenoblade X did better than I expected (getting as much sales as the original Xenoblade despite having a smaller player-base) XD.

The other game with that kind of description bombed hard.

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
im dumb and not good at legal stuff, but if they added say, Steve from Minecraft as an assist trophy, would there be a credit for Mojang or Microsoft in the fine print/credits. Considering the rumours (mere rumours, but it's fun to guess) of minor level minecraft content in smash and MS is credited, they could if they were absoloute madmen hide banjo in the unlockables for people to scream at when they get caught off guard by his appearance, if they have to credit mojang, then the dream is dead even if the rumours are true.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
im dumb and not good at legal stuff, but if they added say, Steve from Minecraft as an assist trophy, would there be a credit for Mojang or Microsoft in the fine print/credits. Considering the rumours (mere rumours, but it's fun to guess) of minor level minecraft content in smash and MS is credited, they could if they were absoloute madmen hide banjo in the unlockables for people to scream at when they get caught off guard by his appearance, if they have to credit mojang, then the dream is dead even if the rumours are true.
You need contracts with full agreement, and there's usually complications depending on the companies and who's really in charge of what copyrights, and other stuff like that.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Sakurai confirmed planning for Smash 5 was completed during 2015. This is coincides with the severe lack of Cappy in Mario's moveset, as well as the Inklings sporting only Splatoon 1 designs, with only Lil Judd as the single Splatoon 2 references.

I already talked about ARMS in the context of this, and this only makes me believe more that the franchise is not getting playable reps.

*At least not until DLC, but again the whole Inkling situation, or lack of, in Smash 4.
Let's actually look at what was said first.

On June 13th, I released a great deal of information concerning Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. “A 2018 release, can you really manage that?” I’ve been grappling with that question for a while, but I’ve earnestly – and silently – been working to make that happen. In the December of 2015 I put forth my first proposal for the game. I was still working on the DLC for the previous Super Smash Bros. game at the time, and I wouldn’tt even get together the staff for Ultimate until later.

He said it was a proposal, not a plan. And he calls it the "first" implying there is a second. This is far from confirmation of when characters were choosen. The most I could find is that he doesn't change the roster a lot when the project is underway which it wouldn't be from his comments.

The problem with these conversation is everyone is trying to play expert and say when this started or when this happened. We have no idea when any of these games entered development or what stage of development they were at. Xenoblade 2 started development sometime in 2014. ARMS might have started in the Spring of 2015 or earlier as they were still working on the DLC for MK8. Both of these games could have been in a decent enough state for consideration. Now, we don't know anything for sure, so why are we assuming that there is no way these characters could get in?

A better approach is to look at what has happened and what is happening. Brawl and Smash 4 took content from games launching the year prior. Brawl added 2 characters who's games released in 2006 and Smash 4 added 1 (though there wasn't much to choose from). Both games had stages, music and assist trophies from those years and Smash 4 actually had content from games releasing in the same year or later. Already, for SmashU, we have two stages shown from 2017 games as well as a few smaller reference. Heck, the music released today is from Splatoon 2. So what does that tell us? That perhaps 2017 games were considered for content like we would expect give the past games.

What is the characters weren't decided until 2016 as the project got underway? What if it was Dec 15, but most of the Switch games started development in 2015 which would be a 2-3 development cycle for all the 2017 games. Or what if characters were based on concept art like Greninja. All of these are realistic scenarios. But we can't actually know what is going on or what exactly Sakurai is doing. My problem is people make all these assumptions and try to act like they can read the tea leaves. Its a silly way of thinking. Most communities would look at his comment and think "Oh, so its been in development for about 3 years." Smash fans read far too much into it.

And for reference, Mario didn't have any references to Galaxy in his moves so him not having Cappy isn't confirmation of anything.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I prefer having Banjo and Crash as the 3rd party reps for this game rather than just Simon and possibly Geno. But I will take my guesses and my preferences on who will be the rest of the newcomers and see how many I get right.

Base Game:
1.Isabelle
2.Ashley
3.Simon Bemont
4.Banjo and Kazooie
5.Isaac
6.Dixie Kong
7.King K. Rool

DLC
1.Crash Bandicoot
2.Xenoblade Character
3.Geno or ARMS character
4.8th gen Pokemon
5.Bandana Dee

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Bomb Blush Rush was in Splatoon 1, it was used in the Final Splatfest for Callie.

Also, I wouldn't count Lucario. His movie debuted in 2005 and the character heavily inspired Smash as his personality and voice are drawn from that particular character. His game debuting in 2006 doesn't change the fact that his origin comes from the year before. Lucas also has the caveat of being intended to be a 2005 character who just got hit with a delay, so you can't exactly say they looked to the future with that one either like they did with Greninja.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Let's actually look at what was said first.

On June 13th, I released a great deal of information concerning Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. “A 2018 release, can you really manage that?” I’ve been grappling with that question for a while, but I’ve earnestly – and silently – been working to make that happen. In the December of 2015 I put forth my first proposal for the game. I was still working on the DLC for the previous Super Smash Bros. game at the time, and I wouldn’tt even get together the staff for Ultimate until later.

He said it was a proposal, not a plan. And he calls it the "first" implying there is a second. This is far from confirmation of when characters were choosen. The most I could find is that he doesn't change the roster a lot when the project is underway which it wouldn't be from his comments.

The problem with these conversation is everyone is trying to play expert and say when this started or when this happened. We have no idea when any of these games entered development or what stage of development they were at. Xenoblade 2 started development sometime in 2014. ARMS might have started in the Spring of 2015 or earlier as they were still working on the DLC for MK8. Both of these games could have been in a decent enough state for consideration. Now, we don't know anything for sure, so why are we assuming that there is no way these characters could get in?

A better approach is to look at what has happened and what is happening. Brawl and Smash 4 took content from games launching the year prior. Brawl added 2 characters who's games released in 2006 and Smash 4 added 1 (though there wasn't much to choose from). Both games had stages, music and assist trophies from those years and Smash 4 actually had content from games releasing in the same year or later. Already, for SmashU, we have two stages shown from 2017 games as well as a few smaller reference. Heck, the music released today is from Splatoon 2. So what does that tell us? That perhaps 2017 games were considered for content like we would expect give the past games.

What is the characters weren't decided until 2016 as the project got underway? What if it was Dec 15, but most of the Switch games started development in 2015 which would be a 2-3 development cycle for all the 2017 games. Or what if characters were based on concept art like Greninja. All of these are realistic scenarios. But we can't actually know what is going on or what exactly Sakurai is doing. My problem is people make all these assumptions and try to act like they can read the tea leaves. Its a silly way of thinking. Most communities would look at his comment and think "Oh, so its been in development for about 3 years." Smash fans read far too much into it.

And for reference, Mario didn't have any references to Galaxy in his moves so him not having Cappy isn't confirmation of anything.
I think there may be confusion, because it's also stated that the project plan was finished in 2015. If that's true, then that's huge, but as I said it seems as if it required a bit of clarification.

Edit: https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1009455106637656064

Here's the quote in question. Changed Finalized to finished because I misread.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think there may be confusion, because it's also stated that the project plan was finished in 2015. If that's true, then that's huge, but as I said it seems as if it required a bit of clarification.

Edit: https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1009455106637656064

Here's the quote in question. Changed Finalized to finished because I misread.
I think the tweet is wrong. Either they misunderstood or they made an assumption. There is no mention of a date beyond he completed the proposal Dec 2015. As far as selecting characters, the only thing I could find was the Wii U slides where they say when the project was underway, they usually don't change the roster. Its hard to say those two things are related and its probably not enough to draw inferences from.

Here is Nintendo Everything's translation: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...osal-in-december-2015-faster-tempo-much-more/
SG and Nintendo Everything both say proposal. There is no mention of another date.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I think the tweet is wrong. Either they misunderstood or they made an assumption. There is no mention of a date beyond he completed the proposal Dec 2015. As far as selecting characters, the only thing I could find was the Wii U slides where they say when the project was underway, they usually don't change the roster. Its hard to say those two things are related and its probably not enough to draw inferences from.

Here is Nintendo Everything's translation: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...osal-in-december-2015-faster-tempo-much-more/
SG and Nintendo Everything both say proposal. There is no mention of another date.

Fair enough, I was just trying to explain where the confusion may have come from.

Looks like we're back to speculating as per usual, I suppose.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So I did some digging around regarding release dates. Smash 4 and Brawl really liked to try and push recent releases (especially Smash 4, which is why relevancy was a hot topic).

Smash 4's development started in 2012, so likely everything was finalized by the end of the year in terms of planning. This doesn't include Greninja (the team planned to include a XY Pokemon, but did not go beyond that during planning), nor does it include Lucina, Dark Pit or Dr. Mario, as they were all last minute additions. This means that any release from 2013 and beyond (excluding Pokemon) would not have had a chance to be considered during planning. We know dev time matters due to Robin, when Awakening overlapped with Smash 4's development time, leading to a "right place at the right time" sort of thing.

So if SSBU started finished planning in 2015, they cover all of the 2013, 2014 and 2015 releases. The notable names here are DKC Tropical Freeze (Dixie, Cranky, maybe Funky), Treasure Tracker (Captain Toad), Xenoblade X (Elma) and Rhythm Heaven Megamix (Chorus Kids, Karate Joe, etc). If we're looking for 'relevancy', these are the games we need to look at, rather than ARMS or Xenoblade 2. Unlike other Smash games, this isn't a huge list to draw from.

There's also a couple this puts in a weird position. Color Splash was a 2016 release, but an early 2016 reveal trailer suggests that it may have overlapped with SmashU's planning period. It may have been too late, but it could also have been the right time for Paper Mario, much like with Robin and Awakening. In a similar position is Pokemon. S/M was also an early 2016 reveal and a 2016 release, so it could also be right on time. Otherwise, ORAS was a 2014 title that may have already garnered consideration.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
The initial tweet's translation was indeed wrong from what it seems. That said, despite the implied revised proposals, mentioning the fact of Dec 2015 is noteworthy anyways. A proposal for this game would have a roster in mind - we know that the entire idea of everyone come back has been part it from the start.

SmashChu said:
The problem with these conversation is everyone is trying to play expert and say when this started or when this happened. We have no idea when any of these games entered development or what stage of development they were at. Xenoblade 2 started development sometime in 2014. ARMS might have started in the Spring of 2015 or earlier as they were still working on the DLC for MK8. Both of these games could have been in a decent enough state for consideration. Now, we don't know anything for sure, so why are we assuming that there is no way these characters could get in?.
???
Why are you assuming otherwise? What's the point of a message board if you believe there's no point in talking about it? What we know is what we know, and we're supposed to build from there. Bringing up what we don't know is both pointless and useless - it's fallacious.

SmashChu said:
A better approach is to look at what has happened and what is happening. Brawl and Smash 4 took content from games launching the year prior. Brawl added 2 characters who's games released in 2006 and Smash 4 added 1 (though there wasn't much to choose from). Both games had stages, music and assist trophies from those years and Smash 4 actually had content from games releasing in the same year or later.

Brawl had development problems. Despite its announcement in 2005, it was pushed all the way back to 2008, leaving much more time to work on more things. The two characters you speak of, Lucario and Lucas, are easily explained. First of all, 2006 is 2 years after 2008, a similar timeline to Ultimate's mention of 2015 and the release of 2018. Next, Pokemon's massive popularity has time and time again shown that it takes priority; Lucario's unforseen popularity and Gamefreak's famously visible development process is essentially what occurred with Greninja, and so far, with all the Alolan Pokeballs in Ultimate. Lucas was originally part Earthbound 64, and was originally planned to replace Ness in Melee. Possibly due to the cancellation of Earthbound 64, Lucas wasn't added until Brawl...as a clone in an established franchise.

Corrin was specifically a want for a character from a new game, which honestly is fishy considering Splatoon, which I'll speak on a bit.

You have a really bad habit of actually disregarding what's being said and blaming some sort of generalize bad-logic in the community. The odds are against ARMS because of actual reasons formed through looking at what we know. It's more ridiculous to disregard everything because "we don't know". Increasing the variables of a situation helps no one.

SmashChu said:
Already, for SmashU, we have two stages shown from 2017 games as well as a few smaller reference. Heck, the music released today is from Splatoon 2. So what does that tell us? That perhaps 2017 games were considered for content like we would expect give the past games.
The two stages are from two of Nintendo's and gaming in general's largest franchises. ARMS as a new IP and its eventual unpopularity cannot be compared to Mario and Zelda. Bomb Rush Blush is form Splatoon 1. I've mentioned this in other posts but the very history of Splatoon in Smash can really tell us about how ARMS could be seen. Splatoon was massively popular yet was not added as DLC, only as quickly made costumes and a trophy. Their appearance in Ultimate is completely based on Splatoon 1, with the only reference to Splatoon 2 (a game only a month older than ARMS, and a game from an established franchise) being Lil Judd on the Moray Towers stage.

The passing over of Inklings for Corrin really makes me doubt that DLC wasn't planned from the start, in a sense that it's dubious that they wouldn't have ideas for DLC. That said it's really not useful to doubt the statements regarding DLC, so it might have been really just because Corrin comes from an established and increasingly popular franchise. Corrin, as I've mentioned in other posts, really is probably the best example for why ARMS could be valid. That said, ARMS still isn't an established franchise and has show itself to be not the next big thing.

SmashChu said:
Mario Galaxy released in late 2007. In fact, there is no references to Mario Galaxy in Brawl, with all references to it being relegated to Smash 4. Him not having Cappy in his moveset, alongside the wedding outfits for Mario, Peach, and Daisy, and, the fact that they've only shown New Donk City briefly, implies that they've only started adding Odyssey into the game very recently. You would expect New Donk City in the demo, no? You're comparing two entirely different situations- in fact, bringing up Galaxy just gives even less credits for ARMS gaining more than collectibles if even big guy Mario didn't get his games into the next Smash.

In conclusion, the information we know and the rosters and the knowledge we've had of development in the past is how conversations should be done regarding any character and any franchise. To completely disregard this is just ignoring actual facts, and blaming "bad logic" in the smash community is not only actually insulting, but actively ignoring what has been established. Bringing in unknown variables isn't actual evidence for an argument - it serves only to dilute the argument to ambiguity.

I'm not actively Anti-ARMS. I want ARMS because the more merrier. But I don't believe with information we have right now that the franchise has the 100% chance that people assume it has for no reason.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think smashchu was just tired of people bringing it up as if it was a fact, when it's not 100%. It's not good to form conclusions when it's not sure. But it's also true you have to build on something, but nothing like this is 'established' for sure... speculation is speculation, and sometimes stuff points to higher chances, and that's what people do .. talk, and make guesses (sometimes taken like assumptions, unfortunately).. and eventually they get broken if the fantasy doesn't line up.

Are you really going to try to make good logic on a gaming forum? I mean, come on, that's asking a bit much. People are still growing up. Sometimes there's wisdom, but ya know.. I don't know, I just think it's better to admit it's all speculation but still build on things but not think it's 'it' as if it's fact. in example It's always possible to add characters after the fact. You don't ever stick 100% to a plan, things change, new things come up, and at the same time yeah for the most part there's good chances lots gets chosen beforehand.
Just loosen up a bit, look at the different sides, let it be inaccurate and aim for accuracy too, it's all good. lol. just my own suggestion really tho. Debates are good too sometimes,.. and sometimes they roll out of control into pointless struggles and missing the other side's points of view, or worse. ehh.. anyway :)

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Also keep in mind that just because there's a 'final plan' doesn't mean that everything at that point is final with nothing to change.

Now, quote me if I'm wrong, but something similar happened in Brawl due to Sonic's inclusion. I do recall he was planned to be playable, but Sega never responded until late in development so plans changed completely causing a delay and a few additional fighters to make the cut.(Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf iirc)

Though the December 2015 date DOES give us a good idea of character inclusions. So far it seems like the cut-off line has been around Breath of the Wild. Sakurai did obviously know about Odyssey as well due to Cappy(Which could've been a thing done mid-development as well) and there's a bit of Splatoon 2 stuff as well.

I guess one thing that is for certain now is that a FE rep from Three Houses and a Gen 8 Pokemon is completely off the table now.(Glad to see those speculations die down completely until DLC)

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Also keep in mind that just because there's a 'final plan' doesn't mean that everything at that point is final with nothing to change.

Now, quote me if I'm wrong, but something similar happened in Brawl due to Sonic's inclusion. I do recall he was planned to be playable, but Sega never responded until late in development so plans changed completely causing a delay and a few additional fighters to make the cut.(Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf iirc)

Though the December 2015 date DOES give us a good idea of character inclusions. So far it seems like the cut-off line has been around Breath of the Wild. Sakurai did obviously know about Odyssey as well due to Cappy(Which could've been a thing done mid-development as well) and there's a bit of Splatoon 2 stuff as well.

I guess one thing that is for certain now is that a FE rep from Three Houses and a Gen 8 Pokemon is completely off the table now.(Glad to see those speculations die down completely until DLC)
As someone who detests Pokemon past Gen 1, thank god for that. Call me a grandpa, but man there are some bad designs nowadays. Decidueye makes me puke and I'm shocked people like him honestly.

D

Deleted member

As someone who detests Pokemon past Gen 1, thank god for that. Call me a grandpa, but man there are some bad designs nowadays. Decidueye makes me puke and I'm shocked people like him honestly.
Decidueye is Gen 7, grandpa.
He's still on the running.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Honestly gen 1 always felt like it had the most generic Pokemon designs to me. the new ones strike me as more creative and interesting.

I always loved the designs in gen 3 in particular. Half of gen 1 was basic animals with little added flavor.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I can see not liking Klefki or the ice cream ones but Decidueye? Really? Decidueye is honestly a very cool and creative design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom