• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I hope everyone forgets that silly moment from me.

Anyways...

Dedede is not really evil anymore, but stealing all of the food for himself in Kirby Superstar is quite evil.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
So honestly, take his canonicity as you like I suppose.
You don't know how much I wish for a hard answer on the subject, though. Well, alright, I'll be honest: I only want a hard answer if it confirms he's not straight. He can be gay, bi, or ace and I'll accept it. I'm normally very accepting of things, I take a lot in stride, and I try very hard to be understanding - but with the exception of Edelgard and Yuri who are bi, every lord in Fire Emblem is basically confirmed straight.

I know a lot of people hate it when things seem forced, or when people draw lines in the sand like this, particularly about these kinds of topics. However, it's a little close to home for me, because coincidentally Smash and Fire Emblem helped me discover my sexuality: Roy in Melee was the first boy I had a crush on as a kid, as silly and embarrassing as that is. Playing Fire Emblem not long after brought about characters like Raven and Lucius, and later on Ike and Soren - these were formative things for me. It's just proof that representation matters.

There have been rumors about a Path of Radiance remake, and I will riot if they try to erase his non-straightness. I hope they instead confirm it.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Can we please talk about something else, no offense but I thought this was smashboards not resetera
We can talk about the existence of LGBTQ characters without it turning into some hyperwoke nightmare discourse on intersectionality that eventually turns to tankie nonsense and genocide denial.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I hope everyone forgets that silly moment from me.

Anyways...

Dedede is not really evil anymore, but stealing all of the food for himself in Kirby Superstar is quite evil.
I like to imagine Kirby and friends see Dedede not as an antagonist nowadays but as this in-universe heel; Like, he plays a villain onscreen but he's actually pretty chill when he's not acting the part. Doesn't hurt that most of the time he's fighting Kirby he's usually possessed by the real threat.

Also he gives off big gay energy

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I didn't know that either. I think I was told they were both mental disorders.
TBF both can be classified under Paraphilias, aka. atypical sexualities.

Well, I'd still argue that the King has his evil moments. Remember. Dedede hired monsters to CLOBBAH DAT DERE KIRBEH.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I like to imagine Kirby and friends see Dedede not as an antagonist nowadays but as this in-universe heel; Like, he plays a villain onscreen but he's actually pretty chill when he's not acting the part. Doesn't hurt that most of the time he's fighting Kirby he's usually possessed by the real threat.

Also he gives off big gay energy
I saw the last part, and must say...

You can have...the BIG GAY DANCE!

Sorry, but I had to.

D

Deleted member

hyperwoke nightmare discourse on intersectionality that eventually turns to tankie nonsense and genocide denial.
Did this happen while I was taking a break from SmashBoards?

Or is it Twitter?

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I like to imagine Kirby and friends see Dedede not as an antagonist nowadays but as this in-universe heel; Like, he plays a villain onscreen but he's actually pretty chill when he's not acting the part. Doesn't hurt that most of the time he's fighting Kirby he's usually possessed by the real villain.
I'd like to think that Kirby is just so naive that he literally does not care if you were beating him up 5 seconds ago, you're still a potential friend.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
honestly i always found it a bit weird that the genre is called metroidvania

it's kinda like calling an fps a wolfendoom
FPS were called Doom clones for a long time.

The naming of genres after seminal games still continues, with Soulsborne being a recent example and roguelike still being used today.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I feel like it would be more accurate to call an FPS a Halodoom, since namesakes of metroidvania were released two decades apart, in much different eras of gaming. I think the relationship between Doom and Wolfensteen is closer to that of Metroid and Super Metroid than Metroid and SotN.

I once saw a suggestion that they should be called Map Crawlers, in a similar vein as Dungeon Crawlers. I'd be down for that, but metroidvania is the more widely-accepted name, so...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
And we still have the name Soulslike used semi-regularly.

No, that would be Wolfenstein 3D, I believe. Still, Doom refined the general concept and became more popular as a result.
I figured. I might look at the Wolfenstein thing, though. Sounds interesting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like it would be more accurate to call an FPS a Halodoom, since namesakes of metroidvania were released two decades apart, in much different eras of gaming. I think the relationship between Doom and Wolfensteen is closer to that of Metroid and Super Metroid than Metroid and SotN.

I once saw a suggestion that they should be called Map Crawlers, in a similar vein as Dungeon Crawlers. I'd be down for that, but metroidvania is the more widely-accepted name, so...
Metroidvania is named in part because the two games that set the genre came out so close to each other that neither was really the sole creator, though. It's not named for the later titles in either series.

By the time Halo came out, Doom had already heralded the genre almost a decade earlier.

SKX31

Smash Master

Or calling a platformer a

I know what I'm doing now for sure. Wolfendoom is way too cool lmao

Although come to think of it, "wolfendoom" is so metal that I love it. Just need some random umlauts. Like "Wölfendøøm."

And voila, that's a genre name that's so metal it could confuse me, MasterOfKnees and Calamitas.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If we're doing fusion names, then I propose that platformers be called Marionics, and fighting games be called Streetekkens.

Super Smash Bros. is now a Marionic Streetekken.
Wait, Marionics? Since when were many platformers high speed platformers, even?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
And we still have the name Soulslike used semi-regularly.

No, that would be Wolfenstein 3D, I believe. Still, Doom refined the general concept and became more popular as a result.
I figured. I might look at the Wolfenstein thing, though. Sounds interesting.
Wolfenstein 3D wasn't even id's first fps as before that they made Hovertank 3D and Catacomb 3D.

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
I've been wondering what first party games we could be seeing starting next year, especially considering Nintendo finally sucked up the Wii U library dry. The only two games left IMO are the two Zelda remasters. Xenoblade X is the only other game, but that's already been mentioned to be too expensive to port. The rest either have much superior successors on the Switch or too dependent on the GamePad.

Of course, Nintendo can always start going to older systems.

I'll start off with ports Nintendo can do:
New Super Mario Bros Collection: At first I thought this would be easy money for Nintendo, but then I realized they might be slightly obsolete since NSMBUDX and Super Mario Maker 2 already offers almost everything these games do, plus more. But even then, Nintendo could still release these since they sell well no matter what.
Zelda Remasters: Zelda's 35th Anniversary is approaching, and I can definitely see loads of Zelda content around that time. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be easy ports that'll sell well. Then there's the rumored Skyward Sword HD. For some reason I just can't see Nintendo putting these in a collection, but if the Prime Trilogy and 3D All Stars are any indication, maybe they can. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, not too sure, but maybe as cheap $5-10 eShop downloads.
Zelda Oracles Duology: Grezzo can easily make the Oracles remake by using Link's Awakening's assets and engine. Just not sure how they'll release these: As two separate games or one whole game with two paths you can start on?
Pikmin 1/2 Collection: Another easy port collection Nintendo can do.
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remake: This is honestly expected, since TPC seems to remake older games in chronological order (Red/Blue remakes on GBA, Gold/Silver remakes on DS, Ruby/Sapphire remakes on 3DS...)
Fire Emblem remake: I'm not huge on Fire Emblem, but Intelligent Systems does remake FE games from time to time for those who missed out on the originals, since most of them were Japan-exclusive.
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: Already confirmed.
Pikmin 3 Deluxe: Already confirmed.
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: Already confirmed.

New Installments that are likely:
Super Mario Odyssey 2: If they are able to make a BotW sequel, I can't see why not a sequel to SMO.
WarioWare: There's been at least one WarioWare game exclusive to a Nintendo console since the GBA. Intelligent Systems just finished Paper Mario, so it's between another Fire Emblem or this game.
Kirby game: IIRC, there was a job listing about a Kirby game not too long ago, and generally we always expect multiple Kirby games on a successful console anyway.
Another 2D Mario platformer: Nintendo can play it safe by sticking to the not-so "New" branding, but either way it's easy money for them. I do hope they opt for a new art direction, though.
Super Mario Party 2: NDCube generally handled Mario Party games since 2012, and they just released Clubhouse 51. This could be their next project.
Mario Golf: Camelot's been quiet for a while, so maybe they've been working on this.
Fire Emblem: I'm sure eventually Intelligent Systems will go for another game. I just hope it doesn't encourage more reps in Smash lol.
Mario & Sonic at the Beijing Olympic Games 2022: We all know this could happen, lol.
ARMS 2: The first game is already incredibly successful.
Another Nintendo + Ubisoft collaboration: Both Mario + Rabbids and Starlink were successful, so Ubisoft would be dumb not to tackle another one.
Breath of the Wild Sequel: Already confirmed.
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity: Already confirmed.
Metroid Prime 4: Already confirmed.
Detective Pikachu 2: Already confirmed.
New Pokemon Snap: Already confirmed.

Not as likely, but I hope happens:
StarFox: I'd really love them to continue where Command left off and continue the story.
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3: Retro Studios seems way too occupied with Metroid Prime 4, but who knows? It kind of seems they hired a lot of contractors for MP4, and maybe they were quietly working on the next DK this entire time.
Some kind of new Mario RPG: I personally don't think just because a company went bankrupt, it means a series is dead. After 3 games, we kind of have to accept Paper Mario will never be the same. But I wouldn't mind an all new Mario RPG IP altogether.
Mario Kart 9: I put this here because Nintendo seems to know MK8DX sells incredibly well to this day, and it has a very generous amount of content already. They also seem very busy with various titles as is, and seems more invested in the Mario Kart spinoffs.
Wario Land: Just because I really want another one.
Kid Icarus: I don't think we're gonna get one anytime soon. FP2 for Smash ends in 2021, and assuming Sakurai's officially finished with Ultimate, he'd finally earn his well-earned break. However, he'd probably want to make a new Kid Icarus once he rests well.

Very Slim Chance:
F-Zero: This franchise seems dead, and only really seems to live on through Smash. Remember, we haven't had a new game in this series since the GBA.
Chibi Robo: This franchise was dying a slow and painful death, and Ziplash seemed to be the nail in the coffin.
Punch-Out: This series almost seems kind of dead, especially with ARMS being the big boxing IP now.
Paper Mario remasters/ports: There's that whole situation where Nintendo seems to deliberately abandon characters in these older games. TTYD is one of the least accessible games, and Paper Mario just seemed to have completely forgotten its roots.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
what genres are your most wanteds from?

Grovyle - While technically debuting in a FinalFantamon, he really started mattering in the MysteryDungeon game Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers.

Maxwell - Tetriscrush

Bandana Dee - a hybrid between a Marionic and a RiverStreet

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Metroidvania is an interesting case in that there's just never been a replacement term that was as effectively descriptive for the genre as that phrase as been. Its also telling of Metroid's specific legacy that its pioneering gameplay has endured despite the franchise's scattershot rate of releases and never selling as well as the other Nintendo heavy hitters.

In many ways its greatest impact lies within the many indie games that are all improving, building, or polishing what the likes of Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night did 20 years ago. Its a somewhat sad irony given that the former has had one stand out title in the last 13 years and the latter is essentially dead outside mobile releases.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
what genres are your most wanteds from?

Grovyle - While technically debuting in a FinalFantamon, he really started mattering in the MysteryDungeon game Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers.

Maxwell - Tetriscrush

Bandana Dee - a hybrid between a Marionic and a RiverStreet
Estelle - DragonFantasy

Saber - Ace/Stay Night

Sakura - Depending on the Game it would be a Ace/Stay Night/Lü Bu May Cry Hybrid or an Ace/Stay Night/NobunagasEmblem Hybrid

DragonFantasy - Dragon Quest + Final Fantasy

Ace/Stay Night - Ace Attorney + Fate/Stay Night

Lü Bu May Cry - Dynasty Warriors + Devil May Cry

NobunagasEmblem - Nobunagas Ambition + Fire Emblem

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Punch-Out: This series almost seems kind of dead, especially with ARMS being the big boxing IP now.
That isn't good logic, though. Just because ARMS is a big boxing IP, that doesn't mean it will occupy Punch Out's space. Punch Out is not dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I've been wondering what first party games we could be seeing starting next year, especially considering Nintendo finally sucked up the Wii U library dry. The only two games left IMO are the two Zelda remasters. Xenoblade X is the only other game, but that's already been mentioned to be too expensive to port. The rest either have much superior successors on the Switch or too dependent on the GamePad.

Of course, Nintendo can always start going to older systems.

I'll start off with ports Nintendo can do:
New Super Mario Bros Collection: At first I thought this would be easy money for Nintendo, but then I realized they might be slightly obsolete since NSMBUDX and Super Mario Maker 2 already offers almost everything these games do, plus more. But even then, Nintendo could still release these since they sell well no matter what.
Zelda Remasters: Zelda's 35th Anniversary is approaching, and I can definitely see loads of Zelda content around that time. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be easy ports that'll sell well. Then there's the rumored Skyward Sword HD. For some reason I just can't see Nintendo putting these in a collection, but if the Prime Trilogy and 3D All Stars are any indication, maybe they can. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, not too sure, but maybe as cheap $5-10 eShop downloads.
Zelda Oracles Duology: Grezzo can easily make the Oracles remake by using Link's Awakening's assets and engine. Just not sure how they'll release these: As two separate games or one whole game with two paths you can start on?
Pikmin 1/2 Collection: Another easy port collection Nintendo can do.
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remake: This is honestly expected, since TPC seems to remake older games in chronological order (Red/Blue remakes on GBA, Gold/Silver remakes on DS, Ruby/Sapphire remakes on 3DS...)
Fire Emblem remake: I'm not huge on Fire Emblem, but Intelligent Systems does remake FE games from time to time for those who missed out on the originals, since most of them were Japan-exclusive.
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: Already confirmed.
Pikmin 3 Deluxe: Already confirmed.
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: Already confirmed.

New Installments that are likely:
Super Mario Odyssey 2: If they are able to make a BotW sequel, I can't see why not a sequel to SMO.
WarioWare: There's been at least one WarioWare game exclusive to a Nintendo console since the GBA. Intelligent Systems just finished Paper Mario, so it's between another Fire Emblem or this game.
Kirby game: IIRC, there was a job listing about a Kirby game not too long ago, and generally we always expect multiple Kirby games on a successful console anyway.
Another 2D Mario platformer: Nintendo can play it safe by sticking to the not-so "New" branding, but either way it's easy money for them. I do hope they opt for a new art direction, though.
Super Mario Party 2: NDCube generally handled Mario Party games since 2012, and they just released Clubhouse 51. This could be their next project.
Mario Golf: Camelot's been quiet for a while, so maybe they've been working on this.
Fire Emblem: I'm sure eventually Intelligent Systems will go for another game. I just hope it doesn't encourage more reps in Smash lol.
Mario & Sonic at the Beijing Olympic Games 2022: We all know this could happen, lol.
ARMS 2: The first game is already incredibly successful.
Another Nintendo + Ubisoft collaboration: Both Mario + Rabbids and Starlink were successful, so Ubisoft would be dumb not to tackle another one.
Breath of the Wild Sequel: Already confirmed.
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity: Already confirmed.
Metroid Prime 4: Already confirmed.
Detective Pikachu 2: Already confirmed.
New Pokemon Snap: Already confirmed.

Not as likely, but I hope happens:
StarFox: I'd really love them to continue where Command left off and continue the story.
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3: Retro Studios seems way too occupied with Metroid Prime 4, but who knows? It kind of seems they hired a lot of contractors for MP4, and maybe they were quietly working on the next DK this entire time.
Some kind of new Mario RPG: I personally don't think just because a company went bankrupt, it means a series is dead. After 3 games, we kind of have to accept Paper Mario will never be the same. But I wouldn't mind an all new Mario RPG IP altogether.
Mario Kart 9: I put this here because Nintendo seems to know MK8DX sells incredibly well to this day, and it has a very generous amount of content already. They also seem very busy with various titles as is, and seems more invested in the Mario Kart spinoffs.
Wario Land: Just because I really want another one.
Kid Icarus: I don't think we're gonna get one anytime soon. FP2 for Smash ends in 2021, and assuming Sakurai's officially finished with Ultimate, he'd finally earn his well-earned break. However, he'd probably want to make a new Kid Icarus once he rests well.

Very Slim Chance:
F-Zero: This franchise seems dead, and only really seems to live on through Smash. Remember, we haven't had a new game in this series since the GBA.
Chibi Robo: This franchise was dying a slow and painful death, and Ziplash seemed to be the nail in the coffin.
Paper Mario remasters/ports: There's that whole situation where Nintendo seems to deliberately abandon characters in these older games. TTYD is one of the least accessible games, and Paper Mario just seemed to have completely forgotten its roots.
I feel as though a Xenoblade 3 should be put here or a sequel to X instead of a remaster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom