• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Here's another question for ya'll:

What's your pipe dream character? That is, a character which is technically eligible but it likely won't happen for one reason or another?

For me, that's a character from Wizard101, an MMO I play alot. It's technically eligable but A) It's an MMO which has had nothing ever representing that genre and B) The game is already long past it's prime and I don't think it's likely to be even considered ever.

On the odd chance it does happen ever I would love to see some of Wiz's ost; it's some really banger stuff, like this track:
Maybe even some Pirate101 ost but that's pushing it I wager.
A few come to mind, but I'll stick with Galleom because he's already in the game as a boss. Plus he's a Smash original character, and so I don't think he gets a lot of support as a result.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman

What's your pipe dream character? That is, a character which is technically eligible but it likely won't happen for one reason or another?
Esteeeeeelle
transparent-estelle.png
Oddly enough, I found out about Estelle and the Trails series through a fake Smash leak she was in last year. I brought up the post to a friend of mine who played the series and he recommended Trails in the Sky to me. I had seen it on the Steam store once or twice before, and I had played a couple Falcom games before (a bit of Gurumin and Ys Origin), but once I played it I got completely hooked on the Trails series, and between the great characters, the most intricate world-building I've ever come across in a game series, and the killer music, I would go nuts if the franchise got representation in Smash.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Him.

Bet none of you are even gonna know his name without looking it up or reading the url of that image.
I'm not sure if this is someone from Astral Chain or Zael from the Last Story - I have both games, but I haven't played much of them. (the main character of Pandora's Tower has a sword-and-chain combo as well, but he's blond - if this is Zael, then it's a weird coincidence that two of the leads from Operation Rainfall games have the oddly specific weapon combo of a sword and a chain)

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
D94DC394-D3CD-42C2-8309-8E39470EA813.jpeg

My pipe dream character is Commander Shepard. Mass Effect is my 2nd favorite game series & Mass Effect 2 is my second favorite game of all-time. It’s the series that truly made me realize how amazing storytelling in gaming could be. I haven’t meet a cast of character or a setting in any game that I’ve connected to as much as Mass Effect’s. Commander Shepard getting into Smash would mean a lot to me.

Shepard wouldn’t just be a “Bang Bang shooty” character either. They could pull from the Biotic & Engineer classes to make Shepard a really fun & unique character. You’d probably only have to have a gun in only one of their moves.

I don’t think being on a Nintendo console is necessarily a rule but it certainly helps. Mass Effect 3 was on the Wii U & the rumored Remastered Trilogy is apparently coming to Switch.

But the series is in a bad place right now. Mass Effect was one of the most notable series of the 360/PS3 generation but Mass Effect: Andromeda & EA’s terrible management of Bioware have all but killed the series.

I think this has really hurt the series’s legacy & a series’s legacy means a lot for third parties in Smash. Mass Effect would have to have a major redemption arc to be seen as worthy for Smash IMO. Mass Effect would need to cement itself as a staple of gaming instead of just an iconic series for one generation. If not then it’d just be a random 7th gen throwback pick that would make more sense for a Xbox centric game IMO.

EA also doesn’t have the best relationship with Nintendo. I don’t follow sports games closely but I think all EA has released on the Switch so far is FIFA, they haven’t even released Madden. This on top of EA’s horrible reception amongst hardcore gamers makes me think there’s no reason Nintendo would go to EA for a character.

Shepard would also be a western character & we’re only just now getting western content into Smash. I feel Shepard would have to wait for the likes of Master Chief, Crash, Steve, Lara Croft, Ezio, Doom Slayer, Dovahkiin & Rayman before even being thought about.

So basically there’s no chance & I’m not even sure if Mass Effect would deserve it. Buuuut it’d make me so happy & the only character that would make me happier is Master Chief.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
My pipe dream character is Monster Hunter. But Byelth already kind of took Monster Hunter's main thing of having multiple weapons.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Ah, I believe this is Zael? Or is that the other Project Rainfall guy? I at least remember reading about it before because Xenoblade was part of it too.
I'm not sure if this is someone from Astral Chain or Zael from the Last Story - I have both games, but I haven't played much of them. (the main character of Pandora's Tower has a sword-and-chain combo as well, but he's blond - if this is Zael, then it's a weird coincidence that two of the leads from Operation Rainfall games have the oddly specific weapon combo of a sword and a chain)
Zael it is! The guy from Pandora's Tower is Aeron. As for the chains, those are really more of a metaphorical thing and don't actually play into his abilities. As far as those go, he's a rather straightforward swordfighter, albeit one that kicks decently often, has a crossbow and gets to toss bombs if he finds them.
. . .Though now that you mention it, I do see the similarities to the Astral Chain protagonist. . . though those aren't really a pipe dream by any means.

Tbh I’d love Last Story to be ported to Switch, I hear great things about it’s story and gameplay
The gameplay is more alright than anything. Most fun I've had with the gameplay in TLS was actually with the now obviously defunct online mode, in all of its unbalanced glory.
Real star of the show was by far the main party with all of its interactions, though.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Tbh I’d love Last Story to be ported to Switch, I hear great things about it’s story and gameplay

Pandora’s Tower I can do without. I don’t do well with forced time limits
Maybe if Nintendo randomly decides they want to buy Mistwalker? According to Wikipedia, they haven't done anything since 2017.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think this has really hurt the series’s legacy & a series’s legacy means a lot for third parties in Smash. Mass Effect would have to have a major redemption arc to be seen as worthy for Smash IMO.
I firmly disagree with the notion that every addition has to be the best of the best or most influential. Super Smash Bros. isn't a hall of fame and it never has been. It's a celebration for both the hugely popular and influential games and the not so popular or influential ones. Heck, I'd even welcome the characters from bad games if people wanted them (though that doesn't generally happen).

So yeah, I'd say that Commander Sheppard should definitely be a character to consider given how many people love the Mass Effect series. And if EA would let them, they could totally just celebrate the parts that people loved about the series and ignore Mass Effect: Andromeda completely*. lol

*Though if the game has good music I want it to come with anyway.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

For me, that's a character from Wizard101, an MMO I play alot. It's technically eligable but A) It's an MMO which has had nothing ever representing that genre and B) The game is already long past it's prime and I don't think it's likely to be even considered ever.

On the odd chance it does happen ever I would love to see some of Wiz's ost; it's some really banger stuff, like this track:
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MALISTAIRE FOR SMASH

or ambrose i guess

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Esteeeeeelle
View attachment 281950
Oddly enough, I found out about Estelle and the Trails series through a fake Smash leak she was in last year. I brought up the post to a friend of mine who played the series and he recommended Trails in the Sky to me. I had seen it on the Steam store once or twice before, and I had played a couple Falcom games before (a bit of Gurumin and Ys Origin), but once I played it I got completely hooked on the Trails series, and between the great characters, the most intricate world-building I've ever come across in a game series, and the killer music, I would go nuts if the franchise got representation in Smash.
I've been interested in Trails, specially Trails on the Sky. I've read cool things (deep world-building, for example).
How about the gameplay? I saw a video back then and I wasn't sure at all if I'd enjoy the gameplay.

What I can say for sure is that Estelle has a cool design.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I've been interested in Trails, specially Trails on the Sky. I've read cool things (deep world-building, for example).
How about the gameplay? I saw a video back then and I wasn't sure at all if I'd enjoy the gameplay.

What I can say for sure is that Estelle has a cool design.
I've only ever beaten the first game, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

It's quite fun, there's a large emphasis on AoEs and movement which makes targeting more interesting than "single target vs everyone" and that's combined with a timeline turn system that has random buffs strewn about, which you can make use of if you use a super move which takes your turn early. Spells aren't learnt via a typical leveling up progression but rather from a spellbook where you combine these gems in combination to unlock the prereqs for the spells making everyone a sort of spellcaster of sorts. There's quite a lot of minutia to everything I glazed over, but that's the general gist of the combat.

Also there's a ton of worldbuilding and sidequests, so it's definitely a slow burn at the start, but it rewards you narratively for investing in the story from an early point.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Him.

Bet none of you are even gonna know his name without looking it up or reading the url of that image.
Zeal from "The Last Story"?

EDIT: DRAT! I misspelled his name! It should be "Zael", not "Zeal".

Pandora’s Tower I can do without. I don’t do well with forced time limits
I preferred Pandora's Tower OVER The Last Story, though both pale in comparsion to Xenoblade.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

54053af8573b6b8dd78e6e92faefb5ab.png

- Conker the Squirrel

Banjo-Kazooie was absolutely my most wanted newcomer ever for Super Smash Bros, But my "Under the Radar" pick who I would love to join Smash would be Conker, We have Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie so why not not round out the DKU Rareware core with the drunk squirrel himself?

I unfortunately don't see him making it in, That's not a diss at him because I'm big fan of most things Rare including Conker, But if we were going to get a Rare rep without a doubt it was gonna be Banjo-Kazooie, Conker was always more of a cult classic and never reached an audience as significant as Donkey Kong and to lesser extent Banjo-Kazooie, Of course I would love to be wrong, But I doubt we will get a 2nd Rare character in season 2, If anything I think Master Chief will be the next Microsoft rep if we are to be getting a 2nd one.

If Conker was more established and had more clout, I would definitely have had put more effort into pushing him for Smash, But I like to be realistic with my choices which is why Crash Bandicoot would be my choice for the next western platforming rep to join Smash.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Sackboy would be my ultimate pipe dream character, for being a huge part of my teenage year. Littlebigplanet is the reason why I love 2d platformer so much today. It's also the game that made me start playing non Nintendo titles and expand a lot my gaming taste. LBP is such a important part of me that I would be extremely happy to see Sackboy in Smash, and I think he would fit perfectly in a Nintendo game. It's just sad that the franchise is in a rough spot now because MM don't want to do more of those games and Sackboy's big adventure looks pretty bad imo.

Aside from him Parappa the rapper is also a pipe dream character of mine for basically the same reason (although it impact me a bit less than LBP it's the game that got me into rhythm games with Guitar hero).

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

-snip-

Isaac Clarke from Dead Space.

He's never going to happen because his series is dead (ha) and I just don't think he's the character EA would push to Nintendo. Guess I'll just settle with his appearance in PlayStation All Stars...

I'd also pop off if we somehow got Melia Antiqua from Xenoblade Chronicles over Rex/Fiora/Elma.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
- Conker the Squirrel
I know very little about this character, but I imagine he'd have a taunt where he bad mouthes one of his opponents. Things like:
"What're you gonna do? Pose at me?" :ultwiifittrainer:
"Hey R.O.B., what's 0 divided by 0?":ultrob:
"Get lost ya brat!":ultbowserjr:
"Demonstrate this!":ultbyleth:

Unrelated, but apparently we have emojis now...Oh, and female Byleth's here too!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

Freddy/Alley Cat

Not only it's a DOS game (it also came out on Atari and a few other platforms but never on Nintendo), it's also abandonware, so there's absolutely no way that it's going to be considered for Smash.

This game is a little masterpiece and it's still fun today despite being extremely old.
If you can, I suggest you to play it.

On a side note, Alley Cat (as a fighter) would be the perfect rival to Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Isaac Clarke from Dead Space.

He's never going to happen because his series is dead (ha) and I just don't think he's the character EA would push to Nintendo. Guess I'll just settle with his appearance in PlayStation All Stars...

I'd also pop off if we somehow got Melia Antiqua from Xenoblade Chronicles over Rex/Fiora/Elma.
Lamperouge: "Can we get Isaac Clarke in Smash?"
Sakurai: "We have Isaac Clarke in Smash at home."
1597189791334.png

Calane

Smash Ace

Easily Adol Christin!

dbhson3-2281fee8-600e-4b3f-aad8-cb91cfbf2b9b.jpg

Smash fans may not be especially excited over the idea of "yet another swordsman", but Adol does have what it takes to stand out in terms of moveset. More than anything, Ys is an amazing series that's offered some of the most exhilarating gaming experiences that I've ever had, and Adol quickly became one of my all time favorite characters in gaming.

Ys is also an incredibly long running series that dates all the way back to 1987 (making it about one year younger than Zelda), and it's still around today!

I would be absolutely ecstatic to see him make it into Smash, but it probably won't happen.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
My pipedream character? mhhhm...

Dunno, Escha, from atelier Escha, Edelgard from 3 houses, And to a certain degree Morrigan and alucard.

Even if it may seem likely now. an atelier character is extremely unlikely, and even if we get one, will probably be Ryza.

Edelgard is extremely unlikely because... well, do i need to even explain it?

Alucard and Morrigan aren't as unlikely, but their chances aren'tgood either. Morrigan, mostly cause dante,, Monster Hunter, amateratsu and Phoenix wright, and Alucard cause castlevania second rep, even that both of them are totally smash worthy material., still more likely than Escha and Edelgard.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Also, honest question.

Master Chief is seen by a lot of people as a likely choice and a shoe in for the next potential Microsoft character.

But are we forgetting about Steve? Did he suddenly stop being likely?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Also, honest question.

Master Chief is seen by a lot of people as a likely choice and a shoe in for the next potential Microsoft character.

Yeah IDK why people stopped talking about Steve.

Like...I don't think anything's changed for Steve's chances. He's still a perfectly viable contender in my eyes. Heck, I'm honestly more confident in him than I am Master Chief. Chief would be amazing, but I'll be honest and say I'm not quite sure where all the recent "Chief is in!" predictions are coming from. :drshrug:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also, honest question.

Personally, I think Steve is more likely. Minecraft's audience is much more spread out due to casual appeal and console availability and Halo is a 1st party Xbox exclusive series (with like 1 exception I think). I feel like Master Chief being on a Nintendo console would be about as difficult as getting Mario on an Xbox or the Playstation.

D

Deleted member

My Pipe dream pick would probably be Crono from Chrono Trigger. He's a pipedream for several reasons; there's too many Square characters who have better chances than him and with the creativity they've been showing with DLC character so far, I doubt his chances further since his kit would probably be a combo of Cloud & Hero (for the Lightning techs). He'd be a bit too derivative to be chosen compared to everyone else that could be done.

D

Deleted member

Pipe dream pick? Aiai from Super Monkey Ball. I'd lose my MIND if it ever somehow happened.
Interesting pick. A little hard to work since he's stuck in a ball, but interesting. if he got outside it and just used some attacks, I feel like it wouldn't really 'feel' like the character, but would be super fun.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Interesting pick. A little hard to work since he's stuck in a ball, but interesting. if he got outside it and just used some attacks, I feel like it wouldn't really 'feel' like the character, but would be super fun.
One day I'll get around to detailing and even illustrating how I envision Aiai fighting while staying inside the ball. One thing I do think many people overlook is how important the party games were to the original titles. There is quite a bit that can be pulled from those.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Nothin' special today.

Alphabet Soup

Smash Rookie
Yeah IDK why people stopped talking about Steve.

Like...I don't think anything's changed for Steve's chances. He's still a perfectly viable contender in my eyes. Heck, I'm honestly more confident in him than I am Master Chief. Chief would be amazing, but I'll be honest and say I'm not quite sure where all the recent "Chief is in!" predictions are coming from. :drshrug:
Steve is not a contentious character. Everyone agrees that logistically, he's a great fit for the game, but he's hard to interpret beyond that. It's well within reason that he could make it into this pass, but it's quite vague as to how. Will there be a building mechanic? Will there be an inventory mechanic? Will there be a tool durability mechanic? There's so many possibilities, it's quite hard to pinpoint his exact implementation. The question is no longer "Can Steve be in the game", it's "If he's in, how would he work", and that's a much harder question to answer.

Master Chief is a different story. He isn't immediately a great candidate due to being a more mature character, but would fit well within the roster. Microsoft is likely more keen to have him in rather than Nintendo. Can Master Chief be in the game? That's a complicated answer involving many years of old video game companies, their interactions and their goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom