• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreninjaMarth

Smash Rookie
What's a character you want purely for their significance to gaming as a whole? Mine is definitely Crash Bandicoot.
let’s see...

• Master Chief popularized then FPS genre, to a massive extent. I know plenty of people who enjoy Halo.
• Lara Croft is hella’ influential to video game characters, and 3D action games as a whole.
• Crash Bandicoot because... “heyyy, plumber boy, mustache man, your worst nightmare has arrived.”
• Kratos is pretty influential, right? Who the f*ck doesn’t know Kratos?
• Scoprion, because Mortal Kombat’s violent content is the reason ESRB was founded.
• Resident Evil is pretty influential to horror games. Jill Valentine and Leon Kennedy are great picks. I’d say Silent Hill, but Pyramid Head’s a little too unnerving for Smash. ;-)
Nonetheless, we severely lack a horror rep.
• Frogger’s a well-known arcade classic.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's fair, but while the iron isn't as hit as it was during the base game, I still think Rex is someone Nintendo would go for. ARMS was getting promoted with Min Min, but I think XC2 did well enough to help promote Smash/FP2, if that makes sense. It did well, and so it's pack would help make more money because of that success.
I'd say Rex would qualify as promotional. You can still purchase XC2, and the Xenoblade series likely hasn't reached sales numbers that Nintendo is completely satisfied with. They'd probably like to see it reliably hit 2 million or more with each new entry.

I mean, obviously Rex isn't as blatantly promotional as Corrin or Byleth, but there's still a lot for Nintendo to gain by adding him.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Here's an idea then. The last character you played as is playable, and their homestage is the last stage you played, who is it? For me, it'd be Rouge the Bat and her homestage is Security Hall from SA2. Not the Sonic character I hoped for tbh

Uh.. totally obscure, but the game i played was crown of leaves chapter 1 . Roui, Great game, i enjoyed the writing and while the world can get a little confusing at first, the in game wiki helps guide you the player through it.

And the stage obviously from teh same game would be his birthday party at the flat ( a spiritual realm with immortal guest)

Before that is literally Hachi from Bloodstained, COT2 and before that is the penitent one from blasphemous (Great game, really surprised me how much i enjoyed it)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd say Rex would qualify as promotional. You can still purchase XC2, and the Xenoblade series likely hasn't reached sales numbers that Nintendo is completely satisfied with. They'd probably like to see it reliably hit 2 million or more with each new entry.

I mean, obviously Rex isn't as blatantly promotional as Corrin or Byleth, but there's still a lot for Nintendo to gain by adding him.
That's a good point. I suppose that way XC1 and XC2 could help promote each other, since both characters would be in Smash, and so people buy their games off of that. If they enjoy it, they'd go deeper and realize "Hey, there's another game before/after this one!" and go play that too. It would make more sense than, say, Melia or Fiora too, since we already have a lot more XC1 content than any other Xenoblade game.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Here's an idea then. The last character you played as is playable, and their homestage is the last stage you played, who is it? For me, it'd be Rouge the Bat and her homestage is Security Hall from SA2. Not the Sonic character I hoped for tbh
Well, we have Rayman and the Castle Rock stage from Rayman Legends Definitive Edition. Not bad at all!!

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I just played FGO.

The current event is about the god who a Hindu book that isn't for good boy and girls is named after.

And I just played as him/her.

So that's a no for me.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh rad we're getting Byleth with a Garreg Mach Monastery stage!

Can't wait Sakurai
What's a character you want purely for their significance to gaming as a whole?
That's pretty much the reason why I want all the characters I want. If there's no history, what's even the point?

zumaddy

Smash Ace

Not long after I bought XCDE I got sent a survey by Nintendo about the game, and the survey asked multiple times if buying 2 got you to buy the remake of 1, how many games you'd played in the series etc. It was in the survey a LOT. So I feel like they're very capable of building on the Xeno name with Rex.

Also... did anything happen with the 'new' tab on the Smash Bros site? Was that just an unlucky coincidence with the Direct rumor timing?

D

Deleted member

I just started playing Carrion, so red fleshy monster in some science lab it is. Carrion looks like it'd be the most rad and unconventional fighter for Smash.
What's a character you want purely for their significance to gaming as a whole? Mine is definitely Crash Bandicoot.
Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon.

Like, I don't know much about the series and only played Neon several years ago, but after the first Fighter Pass wrapped up, I got really interested in seeing the Lee brothers in Smash as both the retro rep and the Beat Em Up rep because of Double Dragon having both a legacy dating back to the NES era and a legacy within the Beat Em Up genre as a whole. I'd even go so far to say Billy and Jimmy would be the more fitting retro rep than Hayabusa since I imagine Ninja Gaiden in Smash would be more focused on the modern games than the NES ones.

It's kinda wild to think Double Dragon doesn't nearly get as much discussions around the Smash community when it comes to throwback characters. The series feels like a forgotten relic nowadays, so if Billy and Jimmy were to be in Smash, I'll definitely tune in to the reactions because they're practically Terry levels of hype.

No, we clearly are getting this dude for the next Monolith soft rep.
Maybe, if the game is coming any time soon. It seemed like they were going a little out of their comfort zone with its gameplay (more action-oriented), so it might take longer to develop than some of their other games. They're also presumably making BotW 2 and just finished XC:DE, so it should be the next Monolith-specific IP to be released.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Madeline from Celeste with chapter 1 (or a few rooms from it) being the stage.

I am beyond satisfied with this.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That's an interesting question, because whenever I want someone like that, it near-inevitably snowballs into me wanting them for what they could bring. Let's see...
  • Does Reimu count? She's my most wanted by a large margin, but I also want her to represent indie games, of which Touhou is one of the oldest and most prolific. My best-case scenario would be her revealed alongside Shovel Knight as a repeat of Hero and Banjo, simultaneously representing and old Japanese indie and a new Western indie, satisfying everyone while representing indies as a whole.
  • Geralt from The Witcher. Yes, I know he's from a book, but Wild Hunt popularized the franchise, supplanted the books as the main Witcher series in most eyes, and topped many game of the decade lists. Given that we have Dracula, I think we're allowed to make an exception for him, right?
  • Master Chief would be huge, if only in the West. He'd be like the Sonic of Ultimate, the mascot of Nintendo's rival, duking it out with the Nintendo all-stars. Also, I have a friend who is going to buy a Switch if Master Chief gets into Smash for that one reason alone. Yeah, he likes Halo.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I wonder if we'll get more non-humans for FP2. FP1 had Banjo and that it all the rest were human. Which is fine. I ended up really loving Terry. But this time around I want to see more non-humans. Ofcourse there's Crash but Bub & Bob would be a fun classic pick.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I wonder if we'll get more non-humans for FP2. FP1 had Banjo and that it all the rest were human. Which is fine. I ended up really loving Terry. But this time around I want to see more non-humans. Ofcourse there's Crash but Bub & Bob would be a fun classic pick.
Rayman seems fairly likely, given Ubisoft has close relations with Nintendo, we've already gotten Ubi costumes, he's highly requested, and a couple of trademarks were filed for Rayman recently.
I think Bandana Waddle Dee could have a chance Given the prominence of BWD in the series, as well as Waddle Dees as a species, as well as the fact that he was actually going to have his own Extra Mode before it was expanded to every character Helper To Hero style, I'm sure he'd be able to bring some more Kirby content to the table. I'm mainly worried that he doesn't have anything to tie himself down to. He's not the main character, so it can't be SSBU X Kirby, and there isn't a specific game where he had the deuteragonist role to himself. If there's a new Kirby game where he finally gets that extra mode, his chances would go up a fair bit.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ironically, the base roster (and PP) was the exact opposite.

:ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
:ultsimon:

You need Echoes to even it out, and even then the non-human characters still outnumber the human ones.

:ultinkling::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
:ultdaisy::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultken:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have a question for people. Since Sakurai is obviously trying to make each DLC character bring something new to the table and I think he's even claimed as much, do your most wanteds actually have the capacity to do so? For example, I know Rex talk has gotten stale, but I would like Rex (even though I'm unsure if Nintendo agrees), and one of his strengths is that Pyra and the concept of Blades provides some material for unique play mechanics.

My unpopular opinion is Crash, while iconic, I feel would probably have a basic b*tch moveset. I have a hard time imagining some kind of unique mechanic that hasn't been done belonging solely to him. If someone wants to prove me wrong, I encourage it.
-Adeleine can bring a new playstyle. Depending on how they implement her, I think she could get "persistent" smash attacks: instead of the usual stronger hit, her smash attacks would summon some creatures that will stay on the stage for a while. You can use them as traps and limit your enemies' movements with them. She can also summon bosses, and you could either remote-control them (Adeleine stays near the easel and you must protect her with the boss drawing) or ride them like in Star Allies (again, it depends on how they would implement her). There are other characters who can place moving/attacking traps on the stage (Pac-Man, Villager/Isabelle) and who can ride vehichles (Wario's bike), but none of them have a moveset completely built around that; remote control with a static weak spot would be completely new though, the closest thing is Ness/Lucas' up-b but that's just one attack and does not have its own small moveset like Adeleine's bosses would.

-Karate Joe would get some rhythm based moves, maybe his neutral special could be some junk thrown at him from the foreground and you have to hit them with the correct timing in order to throw them at your enemies. The most crazy concept I had for him was to make his moveset adjust depending on the bps of the soundtrack that's playing, and in case of those weird ambient sounds ones like in that Pikmin stage, you hear a metronome. It would be great to fight exactly by following the rhythm of the background music, but I think that it would be hard to implement with input lag, move buffer and especially online play.

-Ganon... he would not be much unique Imo... it's just a big monster on rampage. The thing is that he's already big, but he also has a trident that allows him to hit even bigger spaces than how he already would with his own arms only. That could end up being unbalanced maybe? probably... though I would like to see how the developers would solve this problem without losing the feel of being in control of a huge destructive beast. If we add magic though, he can get some more uniqueness... maybe use some Dark World portals to move through the stage and summon that energy orb that can be sent back by attacking it with the right timing (kinda like Gordo but more auto-aiming and easier to hit to keep the ping-pong match going).

-Cpt Syrup, I'm not sure. She would be a character with a moveset almost completely made up from scratch, so it depends. I honestly think that she would stand out more for her personality and style than for her gameplay uniqueness though (think of someone like Cpt Falcon).

-Hornet from Hollow Knight. This one depends on how they implement her. In the worst case she could end up being a semiclone of Zero Suit Samus with a fire emblem counter and a long range nail attack, but my hope is that instead they base the character more on the concept that she can use her nail and rope as a way to move faster in the air: so, hit a wall to fastly travel toward it; hit the floor to fastly stomp down; hit an enemy (maybe with auto-aiming) to fastly fly toward him/her. She can also use her rope to place (static) spiked traps on the stage and limit the movements of her enemies. Also, Silksong will expand this character with new skills and items (there should be a crafting feature too) so she could end up being way more unique than we think.

The knight from Hollow Knight, the stage is the Godhome. Not bad, but I would prefer Hornet.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ironically, the base roster (and PP) was the exact opposite.

:ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
:ultsimon:

You need Echoes to even it out, and even then the non-human characters still outnumber the human ones.

:ultinkling::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
:ultdaisy::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultken:
The base roster is also one third-party (Not counting Echoes) and the rest are first-party. I personally think FP2 will be a bit more balanced with third-parties and first-parties, but I can't say regarding humans and non-humans.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
In all honesty, I just want FP2 to have the same weird dynamic FP1 had:

Smash_DLC_basically.jpg

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well they do have a blank template as well if you want to fill both passes with characters you want.
I mean, sure, I COULD, but what would the point be? Those slots are already known. I can't change the past!

...yet.

Here's an idea then. The last character you played as is playable
Ewww...Shulk. I don't want that guy in Smash.

In that case who were the last characters before that?
Either my World of Warcraft character, or Pokemon Sword trainer.

I constantly forget Ryu exists in BoF because MvC fans keep asking for Nina instead lmao
Cause she's the only other character that's in all the games, and MvC already has a Ryu.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
After watching the Halo Infinite demo, I have determined that Master Chiefis now about 60%more likely to be DLC for ultimate, due to him now having a grapple hook for a DLC tether recovery.
I'm halfway convinced that they gave Doom Slayer a grapple hook, dashes, air dashes and double jumps just to try and get him into Smash.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Did y'all know Lara Croft got a movie in 2018? Because I sure didn't.

I'm sure many people here didn't either.

Let's not pretend video game movies are this big factor nowadays. They're always second to the video game series, and only show an already present success.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That's how little influence video game movies hold nowadays.
I think it's more that the Tomb Raider Movie sucked and didn't get more advertising.
Look at Detective Pikachu or Sonic for exemple, and they still got influence to these days in the internet

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I have a question for people. Since Sakurai is obviously trying to make each DLC character bring something new to the table and I think he's even claimed as much, do your most wanteds actually have the capacity to do so? For example, I know Rex talk has gotten stale, but I would like Rex (even though I'm unsure if Nintendo agrees), and one of his strengths is that Pyra and the concept of Blades provides some material for unique play mechanics.

My unpopular opinion is Crash, while iconic, I feel would probably have a basic b*tch moveset. I have a hard time imagining some kind of unique mechanic that hasn't been done belonging solely to him. If someone wants to prove me wrong, I encourage it.
I can see a lot done for an SMT rep to make them separate from Joker. They'd of course have demon summoning as a main mechanic, it could be like Hero's down-b where selecting the demon's icon will have it appear for a second to perform an attack. I also mentioned this in the SMT thread, but an alignment meter where maybe certain player movements or attacks can fill up a gauge and unlock powerful Lawful/Chaos demons for summoning would be neat.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

Let's not pretend video game movies are this big factor nowadays. They're always second to the video game series, and only show an already present success.
I knew about it and had seen the commercials, but I kind of just shoved it into the back of my mind for later.
Later never came.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

You say that now, but wait until Sonic The Hedgehog wins the Best Picture Oscar for 2020! ...by virtue of there basically being no other movies to compete against it. (admittedly, I didn't get around to seeing that movie)

I thought the Tomb Raider movie was a decent action film. Detective Pikachu was really good. Shame that they can't figure out how to make a Doom movie, though. (you'd think it would be easy enough)

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I can see a lot done for an SMT rep to make them separate from Joker. They'd of course have demon summoning as a main mechanic, it could be like Hero's down-b where selecting the demon's icon will have it appear for a second to perform an attack. I also mentioned this in the SMT thread, but an alignment meter where maybe certain player movements or attacks can fill up a gauge and unlock powerful Lawful/Chaos demons for summoning would be neat.
There’s..
There’s an smt thread?

I know what I’m gonna do today.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You say that now, but wait until Sonic The Hedgehog wins the Best Picture Oscar for 2020! ...by virtue of there basically being no other movies to compete against it.

I thought the Tomb Raider movie was a decent action film. Detective Pikachu was really good too. Shame that they can't figure out how to make a Doom movie, though. (you'd think it would be easy enough)
Speaking of the Sonic movie, the release date for the second movie was announced. I think it was saying it would come in April if 2022?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think Master Chief, Crash, Steve, Doom Slayer & Jill/Leon deserve to be in Smash because of their significance. But I love those characters & their games, so I want them in for personal reasons too instead of purely for their significance.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Speaking of the Sonic movie, the release date for the second movie was announced. I think it was saying it would come in April if 2022?
I think I saw that. Glad to hear that it did well enough for a sequel, though I'm wondering if we'll get Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think I saw that. Glad to hear that it did well enough for a sequel, though I'm wondering if we'll get Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.
That would be fun! I would personally love to see what Knuckles does. Maybe a spin-off movie, Sonic CD could happen, too? LOL

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think it's more that the Tomb Raider Movie sucked and didn't get more advertising.
Look at Detective Pikachu or Sonic for exemple, and they still got influence to these days in the internet
Regardless, those are
  • already successfully franchises,
  • franchises already in Smash, and
  • like the only two good video game movies lol
Let's not pretend video game movies are too important because they're not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom