• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
It seems to me that Nate's strong reactions are because Nintendo has fantastic **** planned out but they don't want to show any of it for some reason and want to trickle it down as if their new releases are NSO VC games
Imagine

Everyone's expecting a Direct

And Nintendo decides to take the Origami King approach of "Just throw a trailer up on YouTube on some random day we threw a dart at and call it good" for all the games they have planned in the immediate future.

ZelDan

Smash Master
It seems to me that Nate's strong reactions are because Nintendo has fantastic **** planned out but they don't want to show any of it for some reason and want to trickle it down as if their new releases are NSO VC games
Well hopefully that is the case, so that way we atleast have some good **** to look forward to down the road.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nate‘s posts swing this Direct from “eh, wouldn’t watch” into ”ironically get the popcorn ready”
Yeah, I've done a full loop and now I'm just ready to watch the hype train crash into a volcano. Let's see how bad this can get.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You guys shouldn't panic. A general direct shall happens in August or early september. There too much stuff that was supposed to be there, and supposedly some stuff that is actually close to release that either we get a Paper Mario style reveal in twitter, get a late summer direct, or we really get nothing this year and coco-chan got Nintendo much more badly than we though.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still pretty convinced that the next character will come sometime in September, since that's when the Joker and Hero amiibo come out in Japan, and you gotta update the game to accommodate for them...

But man, I just can't see them pull a "Here's a character, and they're available..............NOW!" like they did with E3 2014 back in the day. We've yet to have an instantaneous reveal+release this game, meaning I'm still expecting them to be revealed sometime before their drop, but how much before is anyone's guess.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Man, catching up on what has happened her last night was a wild ride.

And I guess it's a good time to replay games and go through my backlog for the foreseeable future. . .

Droodle

Smash Lord
Hoping that we'll at the very least get trailers for games that were announced via teasers a while back. Maybe Bayo 3 or SMT 5 would be to "big" to show off here, but I think the chance of seeing Rune Factory 5 is decent.

Shroob

Sup?
Hoping that we'll at the very least get trailers for games that were announced via teasers a while back. Maybe Bayo 3 or SMT 5 would be to "big" to show off here, but I think the chance of seeing Rune Factory 5 is decent.
Haha...ha

haha...

....ha

It's never coming out. It's going on 4 years of radio silence and nothing to show for it

1595226994955.png

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If I see Rune Factory 5 gameplay tomorrow then this direct will all be worth it to me.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I like how Bayo 3 and SMT went from cool but pretty unlikely inclusions in the expected normal Direct to "this needs to happen for it to justify its existence".

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
Just being cautiously optimistic here. Take a look at the Nintendo Direct mini from 1.11.2018. This was 14 minutes long.

A minute of The World Ends With You: Final Remix, a minute of Pokken Tournament DX DLC, a minute of Kirby Star Allies DLC, a very brief reminder of Dragon Quest Builders demo, a minute of Hyrule Warriors DE, a minute of Mario Tennis Aces, a minute of Ys VIII, a minute of Super Mario Odyssey DLC, a minute of SNK Heroines, a minute of Mario Rabbids DLC. There's more after that, but so far that's about 10 minutes of content. The "one more thing" for this direct was Dark Souls, which is relatively not that impressive since it's just a remaster of a really old game that's now multiplatform. But I don't recall people hating on it very much.

Granted that a lot of these were announcements of ports and DLCs of existing games, we could still be looking at least 9-10 different things. I should also note that a lot of these DLC were quite meaty and free to boot. Unlike a regular direct, a mini only gives about a minute per announcement. All of the games above aren't games worth giving more than a minute, but a lot of them were still substantial.

Will this be a mindblowing Direct? Definitely not. Will it have a thing or two that'll peak our interest? Definitely.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
All announced third-party games in a 10 minute Direct is not what anyone was hoping for, but maybe there's a few decent things in it. I don't expect Bayo 3 but that would probably salvage it for me.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bayonetta 3
No More Heroes III
Shin Megami Tensei V

Those seem like the big third party games that we know already know about that could show up.

Unfortunately I'm not sure any of them will show up.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At this point, I feel like we'll either get a really big Direct in August/September that will feature E3 content AND whatever they already had scheduled for their typical September Direct, or we'll get more Origami King style reveals and every game scheduled for a holiday 2020 release will randomly be dropped without any warning.

I suppose a second Direct is still somewhat possible for July, but that feels extremely unlikely IMO. If it was for a single game then I could see it happening, but why have a mini Direct when you have a regular Direct a week or two away?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, I feel like we'll either get a really big Direct in August/September that will feature E3 content AND whatever they already had scheduled for their typical September Direct, or we'll get more Origami King style reveals and every game scheduled for a holiday 2020 release will randomly be dropped without any warning.

I suppose a second Direct is still somewhat possible for July, but that feels extremely unlikely IMO. If it was for a single game then I could see it happening, but why have a mini Direct when you have a regular Direct a week or two away?
Like others have pointed out, we have 2 more scheduled maintenance, one on the 27th and one on the 2nd iirc, but I agree.

Unless this new theoretical Direct is just majorly 1st party-focused with new 3rd party games as well, if this is going to primarily focus on existing 3rd party titles, a 2nd Direct in the immediate future seems unlikely. Plausible, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
New rule, if leakers are being coy, they're not under legal threat, they're trying to not be hated as the messenger of disappointing news.

Shroob

Sup?
New rule, if leakers are being coy, they're not under legal threat, they're trying to not be hated as the messenger of disappointing news.
Define "Coy".

We deadass had leakers posting screenshots of SMRPG just to pull the "Haha I'm joking guiz" stunt. I'm pretty sure half the time, they're just trying to **** with people nowadays lol.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Define "Coy".

We deadass had leakers posting screenshots of SMRPG just to pull the "Haha I'm joking guiz" stunt. I'm pretty sure half the time, they're just trying to **** with people nowadays lol.
In this context, it's a pattern I've noticed that when the announcement isn't anything exciting, they'll lead things along and say s### like "it's not a Capcom character and it's not a Level 5 cahracter and it's not Kat from Gravity Rush" (that was seriously a character they singled out, a niche Sony owned character)

No one wanted to say "It's the professor from Fire Emblem: Hogwarts gone wild"

Shroob

Sup?
In this context, it's a pattern I've noticed that when the announcement isn't anything exciting, they'll lead things along and say s### like "it's not a Capcom character and it's not a Level 5 cahracter and it's not Kat from Gravity Rush" (that was seriously a character they singled out, a niche Sony owned character)

No one wanted to say "It's the professor from Fire Emblem: Hogwarts gone wild"
I don't think they knew about Byleth.

Veggie Burger didn't even know until literally ten minutes before the Direct.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
so realistically speaking who do you guys think is coming in this entire pass? Like purely realistically. Ignore who YOU want the most but instead just try and guess realistically who you think will get in
Geno
Doom Guy
Isaac/ Bravely Default (Edea) / Sora
Dante / Rayman / Ezio / Ryu Hayabusa
Rex

I also see Waluigi and Phoenix having a decent shot, but these are my predictions atm.

Staarih

Smash Master
Bayonetta 3
No More Heroes III
Shin Megami Tensei V

Those seem like the big third party games that we know already know about that could show up.

Unfortunately I'm not sure any of them will show up.
I’d add Bravely Default II to that list, supposedly it’s still coming this year.

But yeah, I have no idea what to expect. But I’m not worked up at all, people say Nintendo is incompetent or doomed or that they don’t have a big holiday game etc, but I trust they’ll deliver at a later date. I’d rather they’re sure with their releases than delay after delay. Paper Mario worked just fine with only a few months between announcement and release.
Though I do understand fans getting frustrated, must be just the impatience.

Shroob

Sup?
I’d add Bravely Default II to that list, supposedly it’s still coming this year.

But yeah, I have no idea what to expect. But I’m not worked up at all, people say Nintendo is incompetent or doomed or that they don’t have a big holiday game etc, but I trust they’ll deliver at a later date. I’d rather they’re sure with their releases than delay after delay. Paper Mario worked just fine with only a few months between announcement and release.
Though I do understand fans getting frustrated, must be just the impatience.
I feel it's less frustration and more confusion.

Even the people on the inside that seemingly know what's coming aren't sure what Nintendo's doing. I feel like, if they have 'stuff' to show off, which considering everything we've heard, they absolutely do, it's odd they just don't drop a Direct with everything's release date as "TBD". Hell, could even just do a mini like this one and only focus on 1-2 titles if they'd like.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Nitendo's development side is right on track like they say.

It's there marketing teams that are a mess thanks to Covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom