• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Min Min is #76, and Fallout 76, it's all coming together!"

huh? that's a thing? people actually think that? :drshrug:
As a joke.
And did anybody get mad when that Dragonball fighting game or whatever game it was promoted an assist character to playable in its DLC? It’s not like EA at all, not even close.
FighterZ fans: All the Smash fans say is "THIRD PARTY HYPE, EXPAND THE CROSSOVER, CAN'T BE ALREADY REPRESENTED." I just don't want another Goku for God's sake!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As odd as the Roy thing is, generally we see Bowser Jr.and Roy on the screen, not Roy and Roy.

In addition to that, with Zelda characters, they actually do rename them when they are a different version of the character. Same with multiple other series. They'd far more likely give BOTW Zelda her own name. It's not a costume situation, a key difference between the three Links and Bowser Jr.'s alts. Alts don't seem to really matter at that point, cause they're not treated like the core character on the screen.

Wild Zelda does sound actually pretty good as a name, but they might have another fun name for her instead.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Hey guys, I created a Smash Bros. Character Trailer playlist!
Link Here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvVQRy3PH6OLAO1H1lOmcyW15ypoRzczA

I couldn't find really any good playlists for anything from N64 to Ultimate, so I decided to take matters into my own hands.

This playlist includes:
  • Remastered Smash Bros. Brawl Trailers (First E3 Trailer and Sonic's trailer)
  • An extended cut of both Terry's and Joker's trailers! Basically, a combination of both initial trailers.
  • New Trailers for all the echos that never officially got one!
  • A proper trailer for the Miis inclusion in Smash 4!
Project took a while, but it's finally finished. Let me know what ya'll think; and if there's anything I need to tweak, let me know!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just think that the fact we got Vault Boy is a pretty big sign that Bethesda isn’t out of the cards yet just because they’re western or otherwise. There’s not much that can be said about Doom Slayer or any Bethesda rep In Fighters Pass 2 until they are either in this pass or the pass is over and they’re not in. We really can’t take any interview at face value no matter what is really said because the past has proven that developers and other associates will say whatever they can to keep the surprise but on the other hand they could be sincere. It really REALLY is a toss up.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Here are codenames for a subset of my most wanted.
verbatim
barbed
bracer
knoxville
psych
pod
It's been a bit, so I'll explain my codenames.
Rie got bracer (Estelle Bright, because she's a member of the Bracer Guild) and psych (Neku Sakuraba, because of his proficiency with psychs).
Verbatim was Quote from Cave Story, since quoting something and saying it verbatim mean more or less the same thing.
Pod was 2B, since her Pod is a big part of how she fights.
Barbed was Phoenix Wright, based on Rayfa's nickname for him in Spirit of Justice ("Barbed Head"). I wanted to pick a codename for Phoenix that wasn't immediately obvious, but this one may have been a bit of a stretch.
Finally, knoxville was Travis Touchdown. In interviews, Suda51 has talked about how Johnny Knoxville was a big inspiration for Travis's design and attitude. In fact, he said he regularly showed the No More Heroes team a video clip of a baby alligator biting Johnny's nipple -- in his words, "I wanted my staff to understand the kind of person that Travis is."

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If we're doing code names... Try and guess mine.

fighter_kind_dwarf
fighter_kind_comeback
fighter_kind_juice
fighter_kind_masterd
fighter_kind_crate

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
Link Here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvVQRy3PH6OLAO1H1lOmcyW15ypoRzczA

I couldn't find really any good playlists for anything from N64 to Ultimate, so I decided to take matters into my own hands.

This playlist includes:
  • An extended cut of both Terry's and Joker's trailers! Basically, a combination of both initial trailers.
Project took a while, but it's finally finished. Let me know what ya'll think; and if there's anything I need to tweak, let me know!
You did well! Trailers always bring the hype, and sometimes it’s nice to rewatch older ones for nostalgia. And the edits for Joker and Terry are great!

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
You did well! Trailers always bring the hype, and sometimes it’s nice to rewatch older ones for nostalgia. And the edits for Joker and Terry are great!
Thanks! Terry's was pretty easy. Joker's on the other hand... I got really... really lucky on various occasions when it came to stuff syncing up. I'm surprised it turned out as decent as it did lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just think that the fact we got Vault Boy is a pretty big sign that Bethesda isn’t out of the cards yet just because they’re western or otherwise. There’s not much that can be said about Doom Slayer or any Bethesda rep In Fighters Pass 2 until they are either in this pass or the pass is over and they’re not in. We really can’t take any interview at face value no matter what is really said because the past has proven that developers and other associates will say whatever they can to keep the surprise but on the other hand they could be sincere. It really REALLY is a toss up.
That being said, I do feel like Vault Boy is something they would've waited to reveal alongside another Bethesda rep.

Despite getting four third-parties, none of the third-party Mii costumes were released before their company's character. Sega costumes were revealed with Joker, SE with Hero, and SNK with Terry. Obviously we still have a lot of time left before the last character, but I'm not feeling too confident about Namco and Bethesda (and I guess Splatoon too, but that's different).

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
That being said, I do feel like Vault Boy is something they would've waited to reveal alongside another Bethesda rep.

Despite getting four third-parties, none of the third-party Mii costumes were released before their company's character. Sega costumes were revealed with Joker, SE with Hero, and SNK with Terry. Obviously we still have a lot of time left before the last character, but I'm not feeling too confident about Namco and Bethesda (and I guess Splatoon too, but that's different).
Could throw in Ubisoft too, since the Rabbids and Altair costumes came with Byleth.

That actually hurts to type out as someone who wants Ezio.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

This playlist includes:
What about the Snake joins the Brawl trailer?

SKX31

Smash Master
"Wild Zelda" sounds like the name of a Zelda who goes insane after waiting 100 years for Link to wake up and then has to watch him find all 900 Korok seeds.
(Edit) Speedrunner Wild Link would prevent that (albeit I'd personally question Link's sanity instead):

BotW_Any_27_29 (1).gif

(Yes, this sequence is part of the current BotW world record.)

Could throw in Ubisoft too, since the Rabbids and Altair costumes came with Byleth.

That actually hurts to type out as someone who wants Ezio.
I'll never give up hope for Ezio, even as they used "Ezio's family" for Altaïr's trailer. Why they did that though...

Last edited:

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
There's another reason why I want Sora in Smash besides his potential to be a fun character and my personal childhood connection to Kingdom Hearts: The fugging soundtrack. I'm praying that if Sora does get in, that Square Enix doesn't give him the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy treatment with very few songs and/or ****ty midi versions. There's so many Kingdom Hearts songs that I'd love to hear in Smash, remixed or not. The Re:Mind version of Vector to the Heavens, with its faster pace and rock guitar, in particular just screams "Smash material".

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
i havent been on smashboards ever since ridley, so i just wanted to hop in and ask what you think are the best or most likely canidates from this board

personally if i had a word to say

sora kingdom hearts
dante dmc 1-5
liu kang mortal kombat
crash or ratchet & clank
geno
and i have nobody else i could say YES

short reason why

dante is big actiongame / hackn slash icon, the daddy who made em fire.
liu kang from mortal kombat is the best for a game like smash, scorpion and sub zero are kinda hardcore with what they do, and raiden is the onyl alternative
sora is a longtime fan fave
crash gets a new game and would make all th sense in the world
geno is the last character of the long time WE NEED THIS characters, and i just grant him to the community, as somebody who wished for ridley and hang around these boards for years to speak my words for him.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
(Edit) Speedrunner Wild Link would prevent that (albeit I'd personally question Link's sanity instead):

View attachment 276601

(Yes, this sequence is part of the current BotW world record.)

I'll never give up hope for Ezio, even as they used "Ezio's family" for Altaïr's trailer. Why they did that though...
Ah yes, Ezio's Family playing over the reveal of Altair from the Altair franchise.
The strange thing is that we got Miis for Ubisoft's two biggest candidates, but they weren't the faces of the games; we got the Rabbids instead of Rayman, and Altair instead of Ezio. I'm iffier on Vault Boy since the only connection he has to Doom or Skyrim is Bethesda, but I highly doubt the only content we'd get from Ubi's two main franchises wouldn't be the faces of the series. That, coupled with some new trademarks and the death of the Spirits rule, amkes me think Rayman has a chance.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
i havent been on smashboards ever since ridley, so i just wanted to hop in and ask what you think are the best or most likely canidates from this board

sora kingdom hearts
dante dmc 1-5
liu kang mortal kombat
crash or ratchet & clank
geno

short reason why

liu kang from mortal kombat is the best for a game like smash, scorpion and sub zero are kinda hardcore with what they do, and raiden is the onyl alternative
geno is the last character of the long time WE NEED THIS characters, and i just grant him to the community, as somebody who wished for ridley and hang around these boards for years to speak my words for him.
Other than Liu Kang (most people would go with Scorpion for an MK character) and Rachet & Clank those are some common names that are going around.

Gen 8 Pokemon people feel are plausible as well, whether it's one of the starters, Toxtricity, Zacian, or something else

Travis Touchdown, Doomguy, Steve, Master Chief, etc

Min Min's reveal made people talk about spirits a lot more so Bandanna Dee, Dixie Kong, Rex, Elma, Shantae, Rayman, in addition to Geno who you've mentioned.

Myself personally who I think it could be
-Geno
-Crash Bandicoot
-Travis Touchdown
-Toxtricity
-Rex/Elma

Geno, Crash, Travis I feel are the Top 3 most likely to happen. A Gen 8 Pokemon I feel is also very likely and Toxtricity I feel is the most appropriate. I also think given the new ARMS fighter we may see another Xenoblade character. Rex of course has priority, but his Mii Costume does possibly complicate things in which case Elma since she's also a popular pick.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Other than Liu Kang (most people would go with Scorpion for an MK character) and Rachet & Clank those are some common names that are going around.

Gen 8 Pokemon people feel are plausible as well, whether it's one of the starters, Toxtricity, Zacian, or something else

Travis Touchdown, Doomguy, Steve, Master Chief, etc

Min Min's reveal made people talk about spirits a lot more so Bandanna Dee, Dixie Kong, Rex, Elma, Shantae, Rayman, in addition to Geno who you've mentioned.

Myself personally who I think it could be
-Geno
-Crash Bandicoot
-Travis Touchdown
-Toxtricity
-Rex/Elma

Geno, Crash, Travis I feel are the Top 3 most likely to happen. A Gen 8 Pokemon I feel is also very likely and Toxtricity I feel is the most appropriate. I also think given the new ARMS fighter we may see another Xenoblade character. Rex of course has priority, but his Mii Costume does possibly complicate things in which case Elma since she's also a popular pick.
if any of the new mons it SHOULD be toxtricity, it looks the coolest, personally if i had to choose for either new xenoblade rep it would be rex<adam<elma

dont care for travis personally, i as said can se crash and geno rly hard. they would make ALOT of sense,

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah yes, Ezio's Family playing over the reveal of Altair from the Altair franchise.
The strange thing is that we got Miis for Ubisoft's two biggest candidates, but they weren't the faces of the games; we got the Rabbids instead of Rayman, and Altair instead of Ezio. I'm iffier on Vault Boy since the only connection he has to Doom or Skyrim is Bethesda, but I highly doubt the only content we'd get from Ubi's two main franchises wouldn't be the faces of the series. That, coupled with some new trademarks and the death of the Spirits rule, amkes me think Rayman has a chance.
Rabbids have been treated as their own series entirely for a while now. They're the faces of their own series. Rayman is basically just a sister series to it in a sense. You can think of it as the same way as Wario has his own series as well, despite spinning off from Super Mario. Or like how both Super Mario and Donkey Kong Country spun off from Donkey Kong Arcade. Etc. Connected, but separated.

It doesn't really hurt or help Rayman's chances at this point, other than the idea that "they wouldn't give Mii costumes this early for the company".

Altair is a different story and still treated as part of the Assassin's Creed series by Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
spring-man, my favorite stage
"We're proud to announce we're bringing back trophies and events just so we could do "Trophy Tussle: Spring Man". Enjoy fighting on the King of Spring!"

"Also hazardless Pokemon Stadium 2 now takes you to the Spring Man trophy stage."

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
"We're proud to announce we're bringing back trophies and events just so we could do "Trophy Tussle: Spring Man". Enjoy fighting on the King of Spring!"

"Also hazardless Pokemon Stadium 2 now takes you to the Spring Man trophy stage."
With how many participation trophies they've given Spring Man, this wouldn't surprise me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Rabbids have been treated as their own series entirely for a while now. They're the faces of their own series. Rayman is basically just a sister series to it in a sense. You can think of it as the same way as Wario has his own series as well, despite spinning off from Super Mario. Or like how both Super Mario and Donkey Kong Country spun off from Donkey Kong Arcade. Etc. Connected, but separated.

It doesn't really hurt or help Rayman's chances at this point, other than the idea that "they wouldn't give Mii costumes this early for the company".

Altair is a different story and still treated as part of the Assassin's Creed franchise by Ubisoft.
Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. I still think Rayman has more going for him at the moment, given that even Ubisoft's bot wants him (Or wanted him, before any mention of him was removed). Still, there's something odd about Altair being the sole representative of Assassin's Creed over Ezio, even if he's just a costume.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. I still think Rayman has more going for him at the moment, given that even Ubisoft's bot wants him (Or wanted him, before any mention of him was removed). Still, there's something odd about Altair being the sole representative of Assassin's Creed over Ezio, even if he's just a costume.
I'm more of a Rabbid fan, but there's no denying Rayman would be a cool option.

That said, Ezio and that... Glob guy(I forget his name) would make for great costumes to bring with Rayman~

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
if any of the new mons it SHOULD be toxtricity, it looks the coolest, personally if i had to choose for either new xenoblade rep it would be rex<adam<elma

dont care for travis personally, i as said can se crash and geno rly hard. they would make ALOT of sense,
The NMH IP has been getting quite the push lately with the recent indie spinoff game as well as NMH3 on the way and the fact that Suda51 has been very vocal about getting Travis into Smash as well as being friends with Sakurai, I could easily see Travis getting the Snake treatment during this DLC Fighter's Pass. I don't particularly care for him that much either as I've never played any of the games but it's an inclusion that just makes the most sense to me.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
There's another reason why I want Sora in Smash besides his potential to be a fun character and my personal childhood connection to Kingdom Hearts: The fugging soundtrack. I'm praying that if Sora does get in, that Square Enix doesn't give him the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy treatment with very few songs and/or ****ty midi versions. There's so many Kingdom Hearts songs that I'd love to hear in Smash, remixed or not. The Re:Mind version of Vector to the Heavens, with its faster pace and rock guitar, in particular just screams "Smash material".
hell yeah, imagine The Encounter in smash. the KH fandom would go wild

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Toxtricity would be awesome simply because he’s got the demeanor of a rockstar. He strums the poisonous protrusions on its chest to generate electricity as if he’s playing a guitar. He’s definitely more than “just another Pokémon.”

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm more of a Rabbid fan, but there's no denying Rayman would be a cool option.

That said, Ezio and that... Glob guy(I forget his name) would make for great costumes to bring with Rayman~
I think the big blue guy is Globlox. That being said, I feel like another Assassin Mii would be... Redundant, I guess. It's the same general outfit, and having two at once sounds rather odd, especially if the majority of the sales are from the casual audience.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Toxtricity would be awesome simply because he’s got the demeanor of a rockstar. He strums the poisonous protrusions on its chest to generate electricity as if he’s playing a guitar. He’s definitely more than “just another Pokémon.”
He fulfills an archetype we don't already have yet in Smash. Potential for a moveset involves a combination of poison and electric type moves as well as soundbased attacks. Has two forms which works well as alts and seeing as he's involved within Galar's lore he may fill a larger role in the future for the Pokemon Company. Not to mention since release he's one of the most popular Pokemon. I'm almost willing to bet if we get a new Pokemon it's going to be him.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, so who do you think is considered a top-tier character in terms of requests and discussion. I don't mean your favorite, or a mildly popular character, or who you consider a sleeper pick. i'm talking big names that everyone and their mother are talking about. From what I can gather, the most talked-about characters are:
  • Geno
  • Dante
  • Doomguy
  • Master Chief
  • Steve?
  • Sora
  • Crash
Any others I may have missed?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

sora kingdom hearts
dante dmc 1-5
liu kang mortal kombat
crash or ratchet & clank
geno

short reason why

Most likely? I have absolutely no idea. Piranha Plant and Joker came out of nowhere, Banjo and Kazooie seemed like a pipe dream, I figured we'd get Terry at some point but not as soon as we did, and I certainly didn't expect Byleth given that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out too late to get a playable character in the first Fighters Pass.

I feel like Geno, Dante, and Ryu Hayabusa seem pretty likely, though I'm not sure if that's bias talking for the first two.

Geno's had 15-20 years of consistent fan demand (which got Banjo and Kazooie in under much less likely circumstances, among many other characters who were included in this game because of fan support), Capcom seems pretty relaxed about adding new characters and Dante seems like the kind of character that Sakurai would add due to his history and sheer gameplay potential (also, the timing of this interview seems suspicious, given that DMC1 was announced for the Switch about 2-3 months afterwards), and Koei-Tecmo's had a ton of collaborations with Nintendo lately (including Fire Emblem Three Houses) and Ryu's one of the last big NES stars.

If I had to pick the remaining five, going by what I want rather than what I think is likely...

-Geno (the reasons I said above, plus I've wanted the guy in Smash for at least 15 years now)

-Dante (the reasons I said above - plus, who wouldn't want to see Dante vs. Bayonetta? Though hopefully Bayonetta gets a few buffs between now and his inclusion if he gets in)

-Doomguy (Doom popularized one of the biggest game genres around, even if it isn't the most popular genre in Japan. Besides, I'd love to see how the development team could convert Doom's frantic gameplay into Smash)

-Elma (given how much Xenoblade has expanded since Smash 4, I'm surprised it didn't get a second playable character. Since Rex is a Mii costume, Elma seems like the most likely choice)

-Rayman (I'm a little baffled that Ubisoft has given the Smash developers permission to use him twice, and he's only appeared as a collectible. Plus, Ubisoft's worked with quite a few Nintendo properties, including a full-on crossover with Mario himself - I'd be surprised if they got nothing)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom