• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
If it continue, I can see something like Cadence / Gunvolt / Shantae getting a premium Mii Costume
I hadn't even considered Cadence, but I could definitely see her as a Mii Costume pick. Nintendo obviously has a good relationship with CotN's developers, so it would probably be an easy deal.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Better examples of non-mascots making it instead of mascots in fighting games would be
  • Sub-Zero and Raiden over Scorpion in Injustice 2.... well, Sub-Zero is still mascot-like, but Raiden over Scorpion is definitely non-mascot over mascot.
  • The Joker being in Mortal Kombat 11 instead of Batman
  • Literally ANY guest fighter in Killer Instinct

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Just give me a Madeline costume with a song and all will be right in the world
Personally I would LOVE a Hat Kid costume with "Your Contract Has Expired" as a bonus track, but I don't know if A Hat In Time has the same reach.
Either of these, despite how low the chances may be, would be simply amazing.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Better examples of non-mascots making it instead of mascots in fighting games would be
  • Sub-Zero and Raiden over Scorpion in Injustice 2.... well, Sub-Zero is still mascot-like, but Raiden over Scorpion is definitely non-mascot over mascot.
Sub-Zero and Raiden are poor examples given Scorpion was in the first Injustice

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If it continue, I can see something like Cadence / Gunvolt / Shantae getting a premium Mii Costume.
If not, I also believe that Geno can become a Premium Mii Costume with a sweet remix to actually make him look like GENO and not a weird ass Mii face
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YES PLEASE I NEED THIS. ETERNAL BLUE/BEYOND THE BLUE AS THE INCLUDED SONG OR GTFO.

maybe even Igniter from Luminous Avenger iX...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm glad that finally things are gonna be moving somewhere.

Probably not much more to speculate about the arms character tho :p

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YES PLEASE I NEED THIS. ETERNAL BLUE/BEYOND THE BLUE AS THE INCLUDED SONG OR GTFO.

maybe even Igniter from Luminous Avenger iX...
Great minds think alike.
We might not get him as a Fighter, but I'm a simple man. Give me a premium Mii Costume with a banger Remix of Reincarnation, and I'm set.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I feel like Mortal Kombat in itself is a poor example. Thinking about it Tekken would absolutely use a Mishima since they’re the main characters and are thus more popular, same for Street Fighter with Ryu, same with Fatal Fury and Terry, same for Guilty Gear with Sol. The only other outlier I can think of is Fulgore in Killer Instinct being far more popular than Jago.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno as a costume would be disappointing. A “premium” costume wouldn’t be much better. Better than nothing, though.

Personally I’m hoping for a Freddy Fazbear mii costume. I think it would be cool, and I’m not expecting him as a fighter though that would be cool too (don’t hurt me pls).

I know but I was aiming for an extra step and full WoL integration by replacing the Spirit Battle in WoL with an awakening battle
That would be cool. I feel they may not care, though; World of Light lets you use spirits from the spirit board, and spirits from previous playthroughs (I think? Haven’t done a second run, I may after all the DLC is out though), so the lore is a bit weird.

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Just realized another reason why Spring Man would be a cursed timeline.

If it plays out exactly like the alleged Vergeben DM, it could give false hope for Heihachi, who wasn’t even specified for what crossover he is in. It would be months of agonizing waiting to know what fate the DM was referring to.

Oh, and also, I really hate the rumor of “FP7 was SUPPOSED to be a 3rd party with ARMS, but we are not going to tell you whether or not its still happening” that was spread by PapaGenos. It makes the person who said. It makes the anonymous “leaker” be in a position to win no matter what the outcome (Since they can just blame COVID if FP7 is a Gen 8 Pokemon), and it creates more uncertainty.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I feel like Mortal Kombat in itself is a poor example. Thinking about it Tekken would absolutely use a Mishima since they’re the main characters and are thus more popular, same for Street Fighter with Ryu, same with Fatal Fury and Terry, same for Guilty Gear with Sol. The only other outlier I can think of is Fulgore in Killer Instinct being far more popular than Jago.
I guess. MK DLC usually tries to avoid making someone DLC for multiple titles. But I'd still put more stock into Scorpion or Sub-Zero showing up in Smash over Liu Kang or Raiden. Obviously we got Terry for SNK, but I think he and Kyo would equally valid choices in hindsight.

With KI, yeah Fulgore or maaaaaaybe Spinal would probably get in instead of Jago, those two were used as mascots early on in the series history.

I agree with the Tekken/GG/Street Fighter examples.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
1. Scorpion was in the first Injustice.
2. Joker given being the psychopath and how violent he is would obviously be chosen over Batman. Also MK vs. DC Universe came before his inclusion in Mortal Kombat.

Have nothing on Killer Instinct.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
1. Scorpion was in the first Injustice.
2. Joker given being the psychopath and how violent he is would obviously be chosen over Batman. Also MK vs. DC Universe came before his inclusion in Mortal Kombat.

Have nothing on Killer Instinct.
I never said the choices didn't make sense. Just that a non-mascot getting in over the mascot while also being well-received HAS some precedence.

Unlike that Marvel 3 example I saw.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And that was a mistake that huge amount of complaints. Thankfully speaking, Smash would never have a roster decison as poor as that.
I beg to differ. I present to you: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and all its predecessors!

This isn't sarcasm or anything, I just wanted to make the joke.

With KI, yeah Fulgore or maaaaaaybe Spinal would probably get in instead of Jago, those two were used as mascots early on in the series history.
I actually didn't know about Jago until watching some Max videos but I had least seen Fulgore before, which probably means that Fulgore is much more synonymous with Killer Instinct than Jago.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know the scary though that just occured to me?
Is that, if we do get someone like Spring-Man/Ribbon Girl or Max Brass...

I'm 100% sure we're getting twintelle and Min-min as Mii Costume, and I can see the reasoning behind that, that it's because THEY ARE popular.
You know...Sort of a Smash 4 Mii costume situation, where lots of them were clearly said to be popular

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I beg to differ. I present to you: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and all its predecessors!

This isn't sarcasm or anything, I just wanted to make the joke.

I actually didn't know about Jago until watching some Max videos but I had least seen Fulgore before, which probably means that Fulgore is much more synonymous with Killer Instinct than Jago.
Yeah. I also mentioned Spinal since he was used in marketing material, like the album cover. Or showing him and Fulgore fighting each other.

Fulgore 90s.jpg

Funny how that happened with the two most major western fighting game franchises.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Just realized another reason why Spring Man would be a cursed timeline.

If it plays out exactly like the alleged Vergeben DM, it could give false hope for Heihachi, who wasn’t even specified for what crossover he is in. It would be months of agonizing waiting to know what fate the DM was referring to.

Oh, and also, I really hate the rumor of “FP7 was SUPPOSED to be a 3rd party with ARMS, but we are not going to tell you whether or not its still happening” that was spread by PapaGenos. It makes the person who said. It makes the anonymous “leaker” be in a position to win no matter what the outcome (Since they can just blame COVID if FP7 is a Gen 8 Pokemon), and it creates more uncertainty.
Eh, we'd have uncertainty regardless, as once the ARMS character is revealed, there will be no leads for anyone once more. (As for the rumor, I personally don't think it has much merit, and even if it did the wording implies that Heihachi's guest appearance isn't in Super Smash Bros.)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm not really sure it's the same thing either with Mortal Kombat, as I just...can't imagine putting Batman in a game where he can be just...brutally murdered. It'd be like if Nintendo allowed Mario in a situation like that.

Joker? He's a murderer. Batman doesn't kill. He literally couldn't cross over into Mortal Kombat.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm not really sure it's the same thing either with Mortal Kombat, as I just...can't imagine putting Batman in a game where he can be just...brutally murdered. It'd be like if Nintendo allowed Mario in a situation like that.

Joker? He's a murderer. Batman doesn't kill. He literally couldn't cross over into Mortal Kombat.
My point was that a non-mascot can make it over a mascot and be well-received.

So to have a "MASCOT ONLY" ruleset is only limiting the possibilities.

blackghost

Smash Champion
The "major, mainline" titles routinely sell several hundred thousand, if not million, fewer copies than Mario Kart. Chances are more people have played Mario Kart than the mainline platformers. Trying to devalue Waluigi because he only appears in the more successful half of the Mario series doesn't make any sense to me.
no one is downplaying waluigi. but the reality of waluigi is that he has appeared in nothing mainline not as a hero, villain, or cameo. there have been chances for him to be playable or at least seen. he is not a big deal outside of this echo chamber. appearing in mario side games doesnt proove much. look at characters that have appeared in kart games: gold peach, shy guys, monty moles, birdo, and other characters drwn from all corners of the mario universe.

mario kart sells because its mario kart. MARIO.
there has never been a smash playable inclusion or dlc from a character that has no game appearances in mainline titles.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I guess. MK DLC usually tries to avoid making someone DLC for multiple titles. But I'd still put more stock into Scorpion or Sub-Zero showing up in Smash over Liu Kang or Raiden. Obviously we got Terry for SNK, but I think he and Kyo would equally valid choices in hindsight.

I agree with the Tekken/GG/Street Fighter examples.
Fulgore and Spinal received the best redesigns in modern KI and either of them would be fantastic additions. Me personally, I'd prefer Fulgore or even Jago or Glacius over Spinal, though.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ya see, ARMS is not Mortal Kombat, it’s not Tekken, it’s not Injustice. It’s ARMS. But they all have a set precedent. The Box Art character is always the Mascot and the Mascot. They’re also always usually the most popular.

Tekken 7 who’s on the box? Heihachi and Kazuya. Heihachi is always chosen.

Street Fighter? Ryu.

Guilty Gear? Sol.

Fatal Fury? Terry

Even Killer Instinct? Fulgore

Mortal Kombat? Scorpion

Now here’s how my brain processes this information. When you look at Arms in a store or on the eShop what is it that you always see? Spring Man getting punched by Ribbon Girl. So if you add them to Smash and someone who loves Smash but isn’t super familiar with all other things Nintendo buys, for the sake of this example, Challenger Pack 6: Spring Man, when they go into a store or onto the eShop and they see said character that they are ALREADY familiar with and fond of on the front of the box or promotional art a light kicks on and they go, “oh that’s Spring Man’s game!” Now this isn’t a science and definitely isn’t certain but breaking that down.

If we added a Tekken character it would absolutely be Heihachi, Kazuya, or Jin the three box art characters always featured.

If we got a Guilty Gear character it would be Sol.

If we got a Mortal Kombat character it would be Scorpion.

So since we’re getting an ARMS character it would be Spring Man or Ribbon Girl. Who’s to say that Ribbon Girl can’t be an alt?

That’s at least how I process it. I really don’t think it’ll be Min Min. Ribbon Girl or Spring Man? Definitely.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Smash DLC throughout history:
:ultmewtwo:: The most iconic legendary Pokemon, also a veteran
:ultlucas:: Protagonist, also a veteran
:ultroy:: Protagonist, also a veteran
:ultryu:: Protagonist from a new franchise
:ultcloud:: Protagonist from a new franchise
:ultcorrin:: Protagonist from an existing franchise in Smash
:ultbayonetta:: Protagonist from a new franchise
:ultpiranha:: An odd-ball generic enemy character (likely intended for the base game)
:ultjoker:: Protagonist from a new franchise
:ulthero:: Protagonist from a new franchise
:ultbanjokazooie:: Protagonists from a new franchise
:ult_terry:: Protagonist from a new franchise who also represents a new company content-wise
:ultbyleth:: Protagonist from an existing franchise in Smash

Just something interesting to notice. That being said, I wouldn't be that surprised if we get more "side characters" from represented franchises.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
You know the scary though that just occured to me?
Is that, if we do get someone like Spring-Man/Ribbon Girl or Max Brass...

I'm 100% sure we're getting twintelle and Min-min as Mii Costume, and I can see the reasoning behind that, that it's because THEY ARE popular.
You know...Sort of a Smash 4 Mii costume situation, where lots of them were clearly said to be popular
That would be better than nothing. Costumes for Min Min, Twintelle, Ninjara, etc. would be nice if they don't get in.

I'd really like to see some ArcSys appreciation through Smash, we've gotten the Kunio-kun spirit event right after Byleth's release but that's really it. Hopefully this leads into an ArcSys character getting in, I'm both betting and hoping on Sol Badguy. ArcSys has been one of my favourite companies and they defintely deserve something.

I also certainly think we're due for another Capcom rep, they have tons of lovable and charming characters that we can still get. I'm personally hoping for Phoenix Wright myself, he's still one of the characters left that 14 year old me wanted in Smash, Ultimate would really feel complete with him in it.

ALSO BANDAI NAMCO HOW THE HELL DOES THAT COMPANY STILL ONLY HAVE ONE CHARACTER AAAAA
Honestly, I'd gladly take Guilty Gear spirits or a Sol Mii Costume. Or both, lol.
It's not like Sol has a lot of chances to make it in so I don't think we're in position to demand more than that. Anything from GG in Smash would be a nice surprise, at least for me.

Just give me a Madeline costume with a song and all will be right in the world
Hey a Madeline costume would be dope now that I think about it, the thing is, how they could replicate the visuals from Celeste in a Mii Costume? Or are you talking about a Madeline costume without being pixelated and all?

As for the song, they would probably choose another one, but I'd be delighted if they put this one which is my fave. Celeste's soundtrack is really really good.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Spring Man is a cool character and I'll eventually warm up to him if it is indeed him, it's just that compared to all the other ARMS characters (minus Springtron) he just isn't that interesting to me design wise. It'll also kind irk me that we played this guessing game for months where they were saying "It could be anyone!" only for it to end up being "nah lol it's just the main guy".

Like, if you're gonna do the obvious pick that fits in line with expectations and traditions, why make a big deal out of it? Why give fans of other characters hope that the main character first trend is gonna get bucked and then do it anyway? It would almost feel like they weren't confident ARMS would hold people's interest for months leading up to release, so they tried to make it a guessing game in hope it would help anticipation, which it didn't. In fact, it had the opposite effect, where now most are ready to just get this character over with rather than celebrate it, and that sucks. It really, really sucks, and if it really ends up being SM and the guessing game was pointless? I'm sorry, but that's just poor marketing to me, and I would find it hard to not feel like my expectations were just a little bit played with.

Regardless, I AM excited no matter who the fighter is...but if nothing truly different or special from the norm happens here with the character choice? Gonna feel like a huge missed opportunity, and really make me wonder why they didn't just come out with it and just say it was Spring Man back in March.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
The thing that really gets me is that some people pick and choose which "fan rules" are valid. Like "Banjo happened, fan demand is king!" and then go "Spring Man is the poster boy, its gotta be him."

Or use an example to say an issue doesn't exist as opposed to argue a possibility.

"K.Rool proved irrelevancy doesn't matter." No, he got in, in spite of irrelevancy. His problems didn't disappear. The pros just outweighed the cons.
there is also a MASSIVE difference between being dlc and getting in in the base roster.

as for the new poll my head says ribbon girl or minmin and my heart w

Wasn't MvC3's biggest complaint no Mega Man? Heck X got the most votes in the poll purely because of that.

That said...

MvC3 still kept to main characters for the most part. The only franchises included that didn't have one were Mega Man, and Darkstalkers which is an odd case cause Morrigan took over the franchise.
every single character on marvel's side in marvel 3 appeared in a movie 10-15 years or less after being in that game. only exception was shuma and MODOK.

wth the AT upgrades benig discussed again its not that i dont support or like it but arguing for characters like waluigi or spring man to get upgrades when alucard, zero, akira, guile, gray fox, and shadow seems like this argument is reserved for waluigi and i dont get why. there are muchbigger characters it can be used on. if it even happened.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Smash DLC throughout history:
:ultmewtwo:: The most iconic legendary Pokemon, also a veteran
:ultlucas:: Protagonist, also a veteran
:ultroy:: Protagonist, also a veteran
:ultryu:: Protagonist from a new franchise
:ultcloud:: Protagonist from a new franchise
:ultcorrin:: Protagonist from an existing franchise in Smash
:ultbayonetta:: Protagonist from a new franchise
:ultpiranha:: An odd-ball generic enemy character (likely intended for the base game)
:ultjoker:: Protagonist from a new franchise
:ulthero:: Protagonist from a new franchise
:ultbanjokazooie:: Protagonists from a new franchise
:ult_terry:: Protagonist from a new franchise who also represents a new company content-wise
:ultbyleth:: Protagonist from an existing franchise in Smash

Just something interesting to notice. That being said, I wouldn't be that surprised if we get more "side characters" from represented franchises.
First of all, I want to thank you for posting this, and I swear I’m not salty.

I’ve said this so many times before and I was told, “Nah bruh”. Why?!
79ECEB45-4916-49A3-8BCD-E67510B5AF08.jpeg
Existence truly can be painful.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
wth the AT upgrades benig discussed again its not that i dont support or like it but arguing for characters like waluigi or spring man to get upgrades when alucard, zero, akira, guile, gray fox, and shadow seems like this argument is reserved for waluigi and i dont get why. there are muchbigger characters it can be used on. if it even happened.
Well Spring Man is being discussed due to the ARMS character.

And Waluigi is discussed because his exclusion prompted a direct comment from Nintendo. He's absurdly popular.

Even a C tier Mario character is more well known and beloved than most. He's arguably the biggest character that got AT'd. The only one that's close is Shadow.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Dixie is a protagonist, just saiyan.
I mean, we can disagree on whether Dixie is getting in, but that wasn’t my point. When I quoted you I wasn’t even trying to debate the truth to your comment.

It’s just that, for what seems like eons, I’ve mentioned this in the past and while folks might like my post en masse, there’s always dudes that are like, “Nope, you’re wrong”.

Which brings me back to my original point.
3D144D0E-023C-4D0A-8A7C-FA87E1DC3542.jpeg
Existence has never been more painful.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Switching over to Mii costumes for a bit, I think we'll see a few more return from Smash 4, especially since this particular bundle is first-party. With the exception of Hero, who had nothing but SE costumes, every bundle so far has had returning Mii costumes.

As for what those costumes will be, I have no idea. Mega Man got returning costumes with Banjo and Byleth, as little sense as that makes. We could get Monster Hunter, Tekken, Tales, or yes, even SMRPG.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My point was that a non-mascot can make it over a mascot and be well-received.

So to have a "MASCOT ONLY" ruleset is only limiting the possibilities.
I would still say the key difference is that Mortal Kombat isn't a mascot crossover title, rather basing itself upon its own cast of characters. My point with Batman was to say that there was a significant reason as to why he wasn't put into MK11.

Compared to Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, Smash is reliant on characters from other brands to spice up the roster, whereas Mortal Kombat has some that aren't "crossing over". It's just an inherently different game, and as it's a darker, bloodier, gruesome type of game, it's potentially something that companies may want to sidestep putting their most famous heroes into. At least, that's what the think the biggest point was there.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well Spring Man is being discussed due to the ARMS character.

And Waluigi is discussed because his exclusion prompted a direct comment from Nintendo. He's absurdly popular.

Even a C tier Mario character is more well known and beloved than most. He's arguably the biggest character that got AT'd. The only one that's close is Shadow.
For the most part I agree. Waluigi might be a C-Tier Mario character, but since Mario is so huge and kept its cast more or less the same for a good while, he's more well known than most AT characters.

Though I'd argue Knuckles is in the same camp as Shadow, probably recognizable to most "casual" video game fans.

I think you could make a decent case for Dr. Wily and Guile(and not just his song) being about as well known as Waluigi, if not more so. And maaaaaaaybe Zero, Alucard and Bomberman if you want to stretch it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
no one is downplaying waluigi. but the reality of waluigi is that he has appeared in nothing mainline not as a hero, villain, or cameo. there have been chances for him to be playable or at least seen. he is not a big deal outside of this echo chamber. appearing in mario side games doesnt proove much. look at characters that have appeared in kart games: gold peach, shy guys, monty moles, birdo, and other characters drwn from all corners of the mario universe.

mario kart sells because its mario kart. MARIO.
there has never been a smash playable inclusion or dlc from a character that has no game appearances in mainline titles.
Waluigi is referenced as a wearable hat and clothing with their own unique descriptions in Super Mario Odyssey.

And if the spinoffs are enough to have characters as spirits, ATs, or playable due to spinoffs boosting them (Daisy; I really don’t see why her appearance as Peach but not Peach in Super Mario Land, an old GB game, is significant enough; her appearance in Smash is her spinoff incarnation too and she obviously wouldn’t be in if she was left to be an obscure Peach clone rather than a popular one who’s clearly actually different from Peach at least), with characters like Peach having at least one move taken from spinoffs even, then I really don’t see why Waluigi has no shot.

It’d basically be like “these spinoff characters who are major Mario series characters are beloved and have potential for a moveset, but we can’t add them because screw a series that’s important to the franchise as a whole if it’s not mainline, spinoffs suck. And screw this character that’s so beloved, we’re gonna be biased against him and just keep him in a major role but never as a fighter and the fans will just have to suck it up and deal with it because we hate him.”

And technically, Yoshi’s games are spinoffs from Mario, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom