• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Just watch, the day we finally wake up to see an announcement Tweet for when the presentation will be, THIS will be under it

1592362010389.png

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly, the lack of information has been getting to me so much I'm even starting to miss spirit events with new spirits that disconfirm characters/franchises. Atleast with those we can narrow down the options which gives us a little bit more to talk about

(Inb4 karma makes it so the next event with new spirits disconfirms characters I actually want)

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Honestly, the lack of information has been getting to me so much I'm even starting to miss spirit events with new spirits that disconfirm characters/franchises. Atleast with those we can narrow down the options which gives us a little bit more to talk about

(Inb4 karma makes it so the next event with new spirits disconfirms characters I actually want)
Was just thinking it's been a while since we've had one of those. Want to say the last one was for Kunio maybe?

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman

I miss new spirits too. On the one hand, while there was the chance they could disconfirm a character I want, it also shows what companies Nintendo is working with in the case of third party spirits. That doesn’t mean that those companies will get a full playable fighter, but like you said, it’s something that gets the conversation going. That Kunio spirit event with Arc System led to some fun discussion about Sol & Ragna, for example

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
It's really difficult to go by just Nico Nico (I'm not as well-versed with Japanese websites as I am with Chinese) but when it comes to ARMS a lot of the focus is on the usual suspects (Helix has a bigger presence in the Japanese fanbase, it seems). There are quite a few speculation vids on Nico Nico, after all.

As for FP2, well, you're in luck. There's this video, which is glorious. And not just because it's 269 minutes (screenshot at 11:12) - but also because it was streamed:

View attachment 274989

I know, this is just one example (and a pretty extreme one just by length alone). It's also not the only video on this topic, as said. But still. 11 / 10 material right off the bat. And before you ask, avatars like the 3D hamburger's pretty common in Japanese streams and videos.

Timestamps if anyone is curious (Google Image Search did fail a couple times, but the character list's 99 % there):

ARMS: 20:35
Smash 4 Mii Costumes (with FP1's Costumes brought up): 52:22
Bandai Namco: 58:09 (Tales Of at 63:45, Digimon at 79:40, Miscellaneous Bamco IP at 95:37.)
Spike Chunsoft: 102:22 (Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer)
Taito: 106:28 (Yes, Space Invaders)
Activision Blizzard: 109:50 (Tracer, Crash, CoD - Spyro's notably absent.)
Koei Tecmo: 120:50 (Hayabusa, Nioh, Dynasty Warriors, Atelier, Samurai Warriors)
From Software: 132:00 (Dark Souls, Sekiro)
Level 5: 138:15 (Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Yo-Kai Watch)
Disney: 143:16 (Sora)
Capcom: 147:38 (154:54 is where he focuses on Capcom) (Dante, Phoenix, Amaterasu, Monster Hunter, RE, he inserts Arthur and Firebrand later on)
SEGA: 167:38 (Kiryu, Arle, Segata Sanshiro, he inserts Sakura Wars - both old-school and PS4.)
Square-Enix: 178:06 (Lara Croft, 2B, Bravely Default, Chrono Trigger, he inserts Geno about a minute or two in)
Nintendo: 183:12 (Rex + Pyra / Mythra, Karate Joe, Paper Mario, Dragalia Lost, BWD, Astral Chain, Porky, the GBA Napoleon game (judging by the Napoleon hanafuda card) )
Pokemon Company: 196:30 (Gen 8 starters, Urshifu, Calyrex, Zarude. No Toxicrity nor Zacian / Zamanzeta)

Characters that he didn't make specific slides for, but are visible / talked about:

Steve
Master Chief
Raiden (Metal Gear)
Doomguy
Bomberman
Reimu
Hollow Knight
Quote (Cave Story)
Cadence (CotND)
Shantae
Riki (Kunio-Kun)
(I believe FallOut? Video's capped at 360P, so it's difficult to tell.)

He comes up with several possible FP2s: 205:00, 212:50, he spends at least 15 minutes debating before going with his final FP2 at the 250 minute mark (No Spoilering because this is dedication). Mii Costume guesses at 252:58.

So yes, this dude went and ran a Smash Speculation Marathon. This was live-streamed for more than 4 hours without pause. Yes, one person - but it's undeniable proof that speculation can reach some strange heights over there too. And it's probably the most comprehensive video.
No Neku or Skull Kid?

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings

Look, I get that this is a Smash forum and all, and everyone here loves speculation for DLC. But if you are genuinely letting one video game not providing enough news for DLC affect you to an unhealthy level, it may be time to step away and find other things to invest your time and energy in.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Look, I get that this is a Smash forum and all, and everyone here loves speculation for DLC. But if you are genuinely letting one video game not providing enough news for DLC affect you to an unhealthy level, it may be time to step away and find other things to invest your time and energy in.
I'd hardly call wanting Spirit events when you didn't before unhealthy.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
We will know the ARMS fighter on June 30th. Calling it. Waiting with bated breath is Nintendo’s favorite tease.
I, on the other hand, will predict on June 24, 2020 (Wed) of next week. If the Pokemon Presents is a repeat of the Pokemon Direct from Jan 9, 2020 (Thurs), and a week later, a Byleth Presentation Jan 16, 2020 (Thurs). Then, the same thing could occurred with Pokemon Presents from June 17, 2020 (Wed) to a week later June 24, 2020 (Wed).

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I mean, it's not getting to me THAT much. I'm still able to go about my day and enjoy my time and go to work and do my job, etc. you're taking my comment a bit too seriously or looking too deeply into it lol.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just want new Spirits at the very least so I can fill up my collection more, I genuinely love seeing what kind of references they put in references and going "Oh **** Leon's has you fight villagers that only walk because of RE4's early game enemies", "Oh **** Geese's is a Mii because the Mii has his iconic counter", "Oh **** Shanoa's references this one optional Glyph in her game that's ridiculously hard to get", etc

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
HEAR I STAND BENEATH THE WARM AND SOOTHING RAIN

THE DROPLETS FALLING GENTLY DOWN ON THE TERRRRAI-AI-AIN.

I was hoping we’d get at LEAST I’m My Own Master Now in base game but alas.
MEMORIES BROKEN, THE TRUTH GOES UNSPOKEN, I EVEN FOR-GOTTEN MY NAAAAAAME! I DON'T KNOW THE SEASON OR WHAT IS THE REASON, I'M STANDING HERE HOLDING MY BLAAAAA-AAAADE! A DESOLATE PLACE! (PLACE!) WITHOUT ANY TRACE! (TRACE!) IT'S ONLY THE COLD WIND I FEEE-EEEEL! IT'S ME THAT I SPITE, AS I STAND UP AND FIGHT! THE ONLY THING THAT I KNOW FOR REAL....

THERE WILL BE BLOOD...SHED! THE MAN IN THE MIRROR NODS HIS HEAD.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Well here's something interesting.

Seems the hardest thing about working from home is the equipment.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well here's something interesting.

Seems the hardest thing about working from home is the equipment.
Knowing how Nintendo treats online, I'm surprised the settup doesn't include a satelleview.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps EA is announcing a special Nintendo announcment in few days, tomorrow. Like Microsoft did. XD

Staarih

Smash Master
So with Ring Fit Adventure having sold 1mil retail in Japan (and apparently being the first new IP to hit that mark since Splatoon) even with supply problems, and going multi-million worldwide, what’s your take on Ring Fit Trainer in Smash? They had a spirit event a while back, which probably hinders a bit and they may have just missed the mark with Ultimate... but then again we have ARMS happening.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So with Ring Fit Adventure having sold 1mil retail in Japan (and apparently being the first new IP do hit that mark since Splatoon) even with supply problems, and going multi-million worldwide, what’s your take on Ring Fit Trainer in Smash? They had a spirit event a while back, which probably hinders a bit and they may have just missed the mark with Ultimate... but then again we have ARMS happening.
Wii Fit Trainer existing might be problematic for them.

I know they can have completely different movesets, and are considered different characters, but they may consider the genre/series "repped."

That said, if Ring Fit Adventure continues to have successful titles (no reason it wouldn't), I feel Ring Fit Adventurer can easily have a place in Smash.

I just wonder if in a future game, Wii Fit Trainer and Ring Fit Adventurer can coexist. Ideally I'd give them the same logo and make them both representatives of the Fitness series. With Wii Fit Trainer focusing more on yoga and stretches while Ring Fit Adventurer focuses more on active forms of exercise like running, squats and jumping jacks. Wii Fit alone is a big enough franchise to justify two characters. The issue always was... who the heck do you add after Wii Fit Trainer?

Regardless, I don't want Wii Fit Trainer to go anywhere. :ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm:They are fitness dorks and I love them.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So with Ring Fit Adventure having sold 1mil retail in Japan (and apparently being the first new IP to hit that mark since Splatoon) even with supply problems, and going multi-million worldwide, what’s your take on Ring Fit Trainer in Smash? They had a spirit event a while back, which probably hinders a bit and they may have just missed the mark with Ultimate... but then again we have ARMS happening.
I started the Support thread a while back, though things cooled off a lot after that spirit event. The link to the thread's in my sig if anyone wants to keep the conversation going.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a relevant question I suppose.

Do you consider Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure to be the same IP or different IPs?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Do you consider Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure to be the same IP or different IPs?
Different IPs. Ring Fit is definitely a spiritual successor but a different IP all the same.

SKX31

Smash Master
"I have a VERY complicated work environment at home. I'm afraid six new PCs are absolutely necessary in order for me to be a productive employee."
*Buys a PS5 and XSX*

"Hey, why are yo-"

"I need this to get the hair textures right!"

Wanted it to happen (especially since I really enjoy the game), but doesn't seem to on the table for Ultimate at all. Could happen in a possible Ultimate DX or Smash 6.

I do think RFA can co-exist with WFT - the Ring itself should be enough to alter hitboxes, attack animations etc. If not create more original attacks. That said:

Different IP, same genre. Wii Fit is implicitedly tied to the Wii series - had the Balance Board been compatible with the Switch I'd say otherwise. Ring Fit is not tied to a specific console neccessarily.

RFA did really well in other places too - not just the major regions (ZhugeEx reported that it was doing well in France too). It did pretty well in South Korea, and the game proved a major hit in China (despite not being officially released) - the demand there caused a major price spike of up to $250.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master

I see them as different IP’s as RFA has that adventure-aspect to it, even if it corporates fitness into it. I feel like they wanted to keep Wii Fit under the Wii/WiiU brands and have something new for the Switch-era. Buut perhaps it could be considered as a kind of spiritual successor of some sort.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

It'd be cool if Nintendo put both of them under a "Fit" label, because it doesn't seem like Nintendo will be doing anything again with Wii Fit.

But then again, fairly certain the Ring Fit spirits aren't accompanied with the icon for Wii Fit in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom