• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I personally don't think Nintendo is going to use to name "Wii Fit" any time soon. It's tied to two consoles and any games past them would have to drop the name. I just wondered if people see Ring Fit as a natural evolution of the franchise or a new franchise altogether. Or maybe both?

I do wonder if, after Ultimate, Wii Fit Trainer will stick around. Wii Fit was a huge IP and turning point for them so I can see them sticking around but, I can also see them phased out for Ring Fit Adventurer if that franchise continues to take off.

Ideally we get both cause they can both offer very unique stages, movesets, music and style but... I am left wondering.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Here's a relevant question I suppose.

Do you consider Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure to be the same IP or different IPs?
Definitely different IPs.

Completely different approach to the 'fitness' aspect of gaming all while using completely different characters and mechanics. If they would've used the Wii Fit Trainers as the protagonist then I might consider it the same IP since it would be a reimagining of the Wii Fit series but since they just used new everything basically, then no.
Just because they are similar in the fact that you are required to exercise to play the game doesn't make them the same IP.

Also a reminder there's that Fitness Boxing game on the Switch as well.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This conversation is making me wonder if a Wii Fit re-release is even possible.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This conversation is making me wonder if a Wii Fit re-release is even possible.
I'm sure it is possible, and I'm sure it will sell as well (especially in this day and age)

Likey is a different story entirely, and I'm also unsure of how much of a demand there is for Wii Fit to come to Switch. People seem to be more focused on getting an F-Zero or Star Fox release than a hypothetical 'Switch Fit'

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm sure it is possible, and I'm sure it will sell as well (especially in this day and age)

Likey is a different story entirely, and I'm also unsure of how much of a demand there is for Wii Fit to come to Switch. People seem to be more focused on getting an F-Zero or Star Fox release than a hypothetical 'Switch Fit'
Oh I don't mean if there's interest in the IP. There are enough people who want to get fit to justify demand.

I just mean physically. Unless they make brand new hardware just for a re-release I don't think it can happen. Wii Fit isn't worth much without the Balance Board.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I personally don't think Nintendo is going to use to name "Wii Fit" any time soon. It's tied to two consoles and any games past them would have to drop the name. I just wondered if people see Ring Fit as a natural evolution of the franchise or a new franchise altogether. Or maybe both?

I do wonder if, after Ultimate, Wii Fit Trainer will stick around. Wii Fit was a huge IP and turning point for them so I can see them sticking around but, I can also see them phased out for Ring Fit Adventurer if that franchise continues to take off.

Ideally we get both cause they can both offer very unique stages, movesets, music and style but... I am left wondering.
They're not exactly on the same board, but depending on the direction the next Smash game takes, I can easily see them keeping Wii Fit Trainer as an important part of Nintendo's history.

Aside from Toon Link and Young Link, I don't think any Smash newcomer truly replaced a veteran so I doubt that Nintendo would cut Wii Fit only because Ring Fit Adventure.

Agreed that getting both in the same game would be neat. Wii Fit Trainer in Smash is comically serious while Ring Fit Adventurer would focus on Ring's more quizzical comments.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Oh I don't mean if there's interest in the IP. There are enough people who want to get fit to justify demand.

I just mean physically. Unless they make brand new hardware just for a re-release I don't think it can happen. Wii Fit isn't worth much without the Balance Board.
They can indeed make new hardware, perhaps even an adapter or something for those who already own the original Balance Board (I dunno the exact specificities and details as I never had Wii Fit) if they decided to re-release or continue to Wii Fit games.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's a relevant question I suppose.

Do you consider Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure to be the same IP or different IPs?
Different IPs. They're not really even the same genre* since Wii Fit looks to be a minigame collection and Ring Fit Adventure is an RPG.

*Google says they're both in the excergaming genre, but considering how different the two games are it sounds like this genre is like the party genre in that it tells you that it's good for a specific environment, but it doesn't really tell you what experiance you're in for.

I do wonder if, after Ultimate, Wii Fit Trainer will stick around.
I don't think so. I think she's kind of a R.O.B./Duck Hunt tier character and I wouldn't be surprised if she permanently threw in the towel after this game. When looking at the veterans in the context of the future, I can't help but feel that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the swan song of a lot of the less important fighters.

This saddens me. Alexa, play Environmental Noises.

EDIT: Character reveal disconfirmed for next week as well. Sigh.

Last edited:

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
Lol RIP

There is ANOTHER Pokémon Presents video on the 24th next week. Now I’m all but certain we aren’t getting ARMS until the 29th

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
pokemon direct same time next week

see y'all on june 30th
Lol RIP

There is ANOTHER Pokémon Presents video on the 24th next week. Now I’m all but certain we aren’t getting ARMS until the 29th
Considering how short it was, I don't see Nintendo having the next Pokemon Presents interfere with Sakurai showing off the ARMS rep.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I am so glad that I can finally brush my teeth while cosplaying as Pikachu!

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
At least we get a new Pokémon snap and most likely a new main line Pokémon game announcement next week and who knows there’s a chance the could do an arms showcase the same week

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Aside from Pokemon Snap and the tease at the end, not much was shown...

Now we have another one next week....why do I think they didn't think this through? Why not just put them both together for a bigger presentation?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

Now we have another one next week....why do I think they didn't think this through? Why not just put them both together for a bigger presentation?
Yeah, it baffles me why they would do something like that. The only thing I can think of is that Nintendo has literally nothing else to show so they're trying to spread their reveals thin

Heoj

Smash Ace
I got so damn excited at the start of the pokemon snap trailer cuz i thought it was a new pokepark, and then the camera appeared and i lost all excitement.
Dont really care for pokemon snap.

So im assuming all we have to work with is june 30th for the arms reveal because now im just salty

edit: after thinking about it some more, it could still be next week.(or maybe even tomorrow but probably not)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I got so damn excited at the start of the pokemon snap trailer cuz i thought it was a new pokepark, and then the camera appeared and i lost all excitement.
Dont really care for pokemon snap.

So im assuming all we have to work with is june 30th for the arms reveal because now im just salty
Or there could be a delay.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Why split up the news

Just

Just show it in a single presentation. You really don't need to split it up like that. You really, really don't have to, TPC.

Anyways on the topic of Smash, they'll talk about it next week. Just gotta chill and be patient.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why split up the news

Just

Just show it in a single presentation. You really don't need to split it up like that. You really, really don't have to, GF.

Anyways on the topic of Smash, they'll talk about it next week. Just gotta chill and be patient.
A brand new Pokemon project will be announced next week. Not gonna happen.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
At least we get a new Pokémon snap and most likely a new main line Pokémon game announcement next week and who knows there’s a chance the could do an arms showcase the same week
Me, who has never cared about Pokémon Snap:

"Is this the Isle of Armour?"
"Wait. This looks much be-Oh my goodness it's Pokémon Snap."
"It's so pretty! Why don't the main games look like this!!!"

I mean, you could be right, but precedence says absolutely not. EDIT: I hope you're right though.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Lol RIP

I was kinda expecting whatever TPC and TiMi (Tencent) is cooking - probably the rumored Pokemon MOBA - to be shown today, but there's next week for that perhaps. They did show quite a few of their cards today, so that's why I'm leaning on the Pokemon MOBA next week.

TBF they did have a decent presentation:

* Smile looks to be a good app for parents - it being released without microtransactions is a very good thing considering the target audience.
* The Café game looks decent - while it has microtransactions, it looks like it'll at least be an okay mobile game.
* New Pokemon Snap looks promising, and shows that they haven't forgotten the side games.
* The Pokemon GO stuff won't excite those outside the GO audience, but they're showing faith in PoGo.
* Of course, Isle of Armor releasing today.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because Namco is developing Snap 2. Spinoffs in general are rarely developed by Game Freak anyway.
That settles it then. We need not Pokémon to make more Pokémon!

Seems like Pokemon is conveniently the only Nintendo IP immune to delays, huh
That's a good thing. It means the rest of them aren't culling the entire goat population for their sacrifices.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's more like "Gamefreak's main games have to be ready in time for the anime, so they can't delay it whatsoever for anything. Better graphics, more Pokemon, etc."

You can blame the anime mainly for that. It's a merchandise due date they have to effectively work within. There was no chance they could delay it.

Spin-offs? Of course they don't need to worry. They rarely matter in terms of merchandising/anime. No time limit and all. It has zip to do with what company is behind it as is.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At this point, the ARMS character reveal (and potentially more?) happening on the last day of June feels so strangely on brand for current Nintendo that I'd actually be surprised it happens any sooner.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I was kinda expecting whatever TPC and TiMi (Tencent) is cooking - probably the rumored Pokemon MOBA - to be shown today, but there's next week for that perhaps. They did show quite a few of their cards today, so that's why I'm leaning on the Pokemon MOBA next week.

TBF they did have a decent presentation:

* Smile looks to be a good app for parents - it being released without microtransactions is a very good thing considering the target audience.
* The Café game looks decent - while it has microtransactions, it looks like it'll at least be an okay mobile game.
* New Pokemon Snap looks promising, and shows that they haven't forgotten the side games.
* The Pokemon GO stuff won't excite those outside the GO audience, but they're showing faith in PoGo.
* Of course, Isle of Armor releasing today.
There's theories that a Let's Go game set in Johto is getting announced.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't get why waiting one week to announce this "new big project". I mean, if you're gonna announce it next week you could do it today. I'm pretty sure the trailer for that project is already done by now lol

Staarih

Smash Master
I ain't even mad, Pokémon Snap makes its grandiose return!!

There's also plenty of June left for the ARMS character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't get why waiting one week to announce this "new big project". I mean, if you're gonna announce it next week you could do it today. I'm pretty sure the trailer for that project is already done by now lol
This new game is likely to be Let's Go Johto.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It's the same company that thought the people who wake up early in the morning to watch a livestream about video games want to see a phone app about Pikachu helping children brush their teeth. I don't think they know what they're doing at all, lol.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's the same company that thought the people who wake up early in the morning to watch a livestream about video games want to see a phone app about Pikachu helping children brush their teeth. I don't think they know what they're doing at all, lol.
Honestly, it should've been earlier than 8AM(in my area). That way the parents could see that. Albeit, it's very early for some parents, but.

The rest was clearly for the regular fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom