• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but at LEAST make the Links unique from each other. Like...seriously, we got one, just make the other 2 unique.
With Toon Link getting a new forward smash that's unlike the standard Link one, you'd expect it to become a WW reference.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So the King K. Rool, Isabelle and Piranha Plant amiibo are being restocked and releasing on April 17th at Best Buy. If the Joker amiibo is revealed to be released on that date as well. Then we'll probably see FP6 on that month too if amiibo theory carries on into Volume 2.
The thing with amiibo restocks is that from what I've seen for the Ultimate amiibo cycle they've only been getting restocked when other, new amiibo released, after checking the release dates of old Smash amiibo on Target and Best Buy. New Amiibo have been revealed in directs before and the pattern of new amiibos releasing around when DLC characters drop has proven consistent with all 6 characters so far, so it is actually worth keeping an eye on.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
....Nah, but seriously, I get people don't like change, but at LEAST make the Links unique from each other. Like...seriously, we got one, just make the other 2 unique. They literally have the same exact moveset.
Development time and opportunity cost.

Come play Project M, TL is even more different.
P+ is out in Two Weeks™ c:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Byleth debuted in Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Three Houses is a Nintendo Switch game.

The Nintendo Switch is portable.

The Nintendo Switch is a mobile device.
No, it's a handheld console. My phone is a mobile device.

EDIT: The difference being that one is a system optimized for running games, and the other is a general computer that also calls people. Besides, if handheld consoles counted as mobile platforms then Pikachu would be our first mobile gaming character.

Last edited:

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Somedays I kinda wish some Smash characters could be reworked so their movesets could actually mirror the movesets they use in their existing game. Kirby utilizing more power-up abilities around the many Kirby games, Young Link utilizing his different masks from the Majora's Mask series, Villager not only upgrading to their New Horizons appearance but utilizing the different props and activities found throughout there.

....Nah, but seriously, I get people don't like change, but at LEAST make the Links unique from each other. Like...seriously, we got one, just make the other 2 unique. They literally have the same exact moveset.
Speaking of this we should do a game where we say what characters movesets we think should be reworked in the next smash bro’s whether it is a deluxe edition or sequel, and whether u just think it needs to be updated or u just dislike the moveset.

My choice would mainly to separate bowser jr. from the koopalings and give bowser jr. a moveset base on mainly Mario sunshine. Other choice would be toon link to a more wind waker moveset of course and maybe update bowser.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Byleth technically is a mobile rep by virtue of being added to Heroes about a week before Three Houses came out.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So does this sort of logic also mean roy technically qualifies as a smash rep?
Yeah, it's absolutely a Roy situation, lol. The intended debut vs the actual debut.

Also like how the Mario Bros. Game and Watch came out a few days before the arcade version, making Luigi a Game and Watch character.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Boss Rush, All-Star Mode, Break the Targets, Board the Platforms.

And unlikely as it is an SSE mode.
as much as i want those modes, Breakteh targets, board teh platforms and sse are enough work for a sequel...

Honestly my dream is that the next smash for the next system is basically Ultimate but with actual work put into the singleplayer content. Instead of making another smash from scratch.

Maybe add 14 newcomers so you can boast 100 unique fighters number. A new SSE with all the resources and franchises they have at their disposition would be enough for selling that game even if is basically ultimate in everything else.

Still, maybe add some slightly moveset changes to ganondorf, samus, toon link, pichu and Dr mario.

Somedays I kinda wish some Smash characters could be reworked so their movesets could actually mirror the movesets they use in their existing game. Kirby utilizing more power-up abilities around the many Kirby games, Young Link utilizing his different masks from the Majora's Mask series, Villager not only upgrading to their New Horizons appearance but utilizing the different props and activities found throughout there.

At the very least Toon Link grounded UP B could work as Bowser's spinning fortress...And young link could alternate between fire and ice arrows. I don't think the world would end with those 2 changes.
Overall, i think that Link and young Link are okey, but if toon link can't be an echo, give him something more. Personally wouldn't mind if his smashes uses the skull hammer instead and have slower but powerful shield breaking long reach smashes.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Young Link's final smash really should have been turning into Fierce diety, like in Hyrule warriors

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Young Link's final smash really should have been turning into Fierce diety, like in Hyrule warriors
I honestly can't believe they didn't at least have him put on the mask and transform, even if they still had it just be the Triforce Slash.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I honestly can't believe they didn't at least have him put on the mask and transform, even if they still had it just be the Triforce Slash.
Fierce diety doing the triforce slash is all I really wanted put of Young link and that disappoints me.

As it is that's the one character who feels like an afterthought.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I honestly wanted Young Link's moveset to consist of his other masks, while his final smash, as you said is Fierce Diety Link. Not talking about all, but at least three or four of them....
masks.png

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It probably would've been less work to make the Final Smash the Fierce Deiety, just port over the animation of :4link: 's Triforce Slash, put a Fierce Deity model over it, and there we go. Instead, I think they made a whole new animation

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
From what I've witnessed over the years, Sakurai would rather make a completely new character instead of giving an old character a complete overhaul. The most he's ever done is change 3 of Pit's specials and give him a new FS, and even then the replacements were pretty similar to the old ones.

It would've been nice if Young Link had more thought put into his moveset, but I guess Sakurai is afraid of changing a character too much. Either he thinks fans would be upset, or that time could be better spent on a new character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing about Young Link is he's not actually based upon MM at all. So him only having pure OOT stuff and just taking over Triforce Slash(though this could've been something different) makes some sense.

...I wish he had actual MM assets. I'd have loved Fierce Deity Link too as a FS.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The thing about Young Link is he's not actually based upon MM at all. So him only having pure OOT stuff and just taking over Triforce Slash(though this could've been something different) makes some sense.

...I wish he had actual MM assets. I'd have loved Fierce Deity Link too as a FS.
Considering he's based on OoT, he should've had unsheathing the master sword and turning into classic adult Link before doing the triforce slash.

As a sidenote, it sucks that we didn't get the MM version of Young Link.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
From what I've witnessed over the years, Sakurai would rather make a completely new character instead of giving an old character a complete overhaul. The most he's ever done is change 3 of Pit's specials and give him a new FS, and even then the replacements were pretty similar to the old ones.

It would've been nice if Young Link had more thought put into his moveset, but I guess Sakurai is afraid of changing a character too much. Either he thinks fans would be upset, or that time could be better spent on a new character.
I used to be all for making massive changes to veterans - until I started playing as :ultdarksamus:, a character who everyone wants altered (many want both Samuses changed, removing the move set altogether). This change in philosophy makes the situation more awkward: do we alienate the fans of the character or those who main the character?

I think the best solution is to add characters who preserve the old moveset, while the base character gets changes. :ultdarksamus:keeps the more feral moveset while :ultsamus: gets a more tactical and refined one, Demise or Black Shadow master martial arts while :ultganondorf: becomes a full time dark spellcaster, Metal Sonic is programmed to fight using the fighting style :ultsonic: no longer uses, there are options,

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering he's based on OoT, he should've had unsheathing the master sword and turning into classic adult Link before doing the triforce slash.

As a sidenote, it sucks that we didn't get the MM version of Young Link.
I would've loved that too. It'd fit an OOT-style reference as is. That, and Young Link plays closer to Melee regular Link now.

Honestly, the weirdest part is a lot of the materials Young Link brought other than himself is MM related. Great Bay, one of its songs, Tingle, some Trophies. Of course, it made sense at the time to reuse all the OOT models as much as possible for him for the sake of speeding up the clone process. It's just too bad they couldn't give him MM stuff in Ultimate. It's still the same Link, so why the hell not? A new bow, slightly different Hookshot, a variation on the Final Smash, mainly the suggestion above, a new taunt or two(like he could randomly pull out one of his many masks as is. Not transform, though).

At the very least, there's good justification for a Masked Link I guess?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I used to be all for making massive changes to veterans - until I started playing as :ultdarksamus:, a character who everyone wants altered (many want both Samuses changed, removing the move set altogether). This change in philosophy makes the situation more awkward: do we alienate the fans of the character or those who main the character?

I think the best solution is to add characters who preserve the old moveset, while the base character gets changes. :ultdarksamus:keeps the more feral moveset while :ultsamus: gets a more tactical and refined one, Demise or Black Shadow master martial arts while :ultganondorf: becomes a full time dark spellcaster, Metal Sonic is programmed to fight using the fighting style :ultsonic: no longer uses, there are options,
It's very situational. Some characters like Dr. Mario and Lucina are perfect for dumping old movesets on because no one ever expected something much different. Other characters such as Dark Samus and Young Link are being held back because a moveset was dumped on them – they have plenty of material for an orginal moveset, but it's being squandered at the expense of matching another character.

Personally, I'm fine with most of the clones in Smash because I know they never would've made it in if they weren't similar to an existing character. It'd be nice if they were a little more unique like Ken, but I suppose that can always be addressed in future Smash games. Just sucks that it won't happen in Ultimate.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The issue with Young Link's mask idea is that it turns him into four separate characters that few people genuinely want; People that aren't fans of The Legend of Zelda probably would either not care or be miffed at the six Links in the game and people that are will still feel unheard due to most their part of the roster consisting of just Link, Zelda, and Falcondorf.

Another issue with the idea is that Young Link is fairly well-rounded just by himself. The masks could easily boil down to using Deku Link to recover, Zora Link against to cover matchups, and Goron Link to get earlier kills and not die as easily, and I think that's a bit too unsynergistic to be a good design.

That being said though the non-transformative masks would have made great taunts.

As far as character reworks go I think there are some that could use one, but just as many of the characters people wish for reworks for either don't need them or can't receive them. Donkey Kong, for example, doesn't need a rework. Just throw in a barrel chucking attack that doesn't change his archetype and he's perfect. I'd argue that Ganondorf doesn't either, and that most of his complaints stem from him being a consistently bad character, as all traditional heavies are (Bowser now being the sole exception), and that he's the same entity as a completely different character. I think what Ganondorf needs is his iconic light ball projectile, and an entirely new character in Ganon based on the entity's more prominent appearances.

Similarly, Mario is a character that people seem to wish reflected his original game's mechanics like Mega Man and Simon do, but he cannot be designed this way since he's Super Smash Bros.'s mascot, and thus must be completely intuitive, and without any centralizing mechanics in his implementation. His powerups would definitely be a centralizing aspect of the character should he be given them. I think he could be given some unique elements in regards to his mobility to breathe life into the character and reflect the theme of fluidity you see in his 3D games's controls, and perhaps replace his Down Special with something more current every once and a while, but other than that, I don't think changing Mario that much would be a good idea.

Samus however, is a character I feel could use a major restructuring in order to feel more in line with her appearances within her series. In her current state, she's this weird, floaty zoner character, and while this does capture a bit of what makes her games unique, it doesn't fully capture her agility. For example, she could have different properties when neutral jumping and jumping while moving (or just while running if that feels better for fighting game purposes), allowing her to pull off different attacks and just be more versatile in general. And, as a small tangent, Little Mac could use being less polarized so he can interact with the game properly, and have his K.O. Punch be replaced with a Star Punch system that would reward skillful plays such as Perfect Shielding or punishing other attacks rather than just straight up hitting, or moreso, getting hit.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Guess we can agree on Crash, Master Chief, Rayman and Lara Croft being the most likely westerns then?
Why do you care so much if everyone agrees with you? If I'm certain of one thing, is that nobody's ever on the same page as everyone else. You'll never find a consensus on who the community perceives as the most likely Western characters.
Question for the thread. Looking at not just the DLC but also future Smash games, do you think we'll ever get another Animal Crossing character, and if so, who is the character and how do they distinguish themselves from Villager and Isabelle?

I think there's a decent chance we could get Tom Nook, but I have no idea what he'd do.
Tom Nook pls. Been supporting him since before Isabelle even existed.
Yeah, it's absolutely a Roy situation, lol. The intended debut vs the actual debut.

Also like how the Mario Bros. Game and Watch came out a few days before the arcade version, making Luigi a Game and Watch character.
Oh **** this means Wreck-It Ralph and Tron are videogame characters

Making Tron thread brb

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
In my opinion, Young Link should of been based on the Major's Mask Link, Ganon should of retain the Twilight Princess look, and Zelda should of had her Skyward Sword appearance. That way much like the stage selection, all playable Zelda characters would have represented each of the 3D Zelda games.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The ultimate mobile rep is Shiori Fujisaki of Tokimeki Idol.

Does she appear in the game? No. But she's also one of the most important gaming icons you've likely never heard of
I know what Tokimeki Memorial is! Don't act like I don't!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
With Toon Link getting a new forward smash that's unlike the standard Link one, you'd expect it to become a WW reference.
It kinda is, its one of his finishers after his barrage of sword attacks in Wind Waker.

Just give Toon Link the Ice Arrows and his signature Hurricane Spin and we're good. (Maybe give him the Deku Leaf at the end of his aerial up special like Mr. Game & Watch might work too but he's already pretty floaty as is so its whatever I suppose...)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just give him the iconic Hurricane Spin and Ice Arrows and we're good. (Maybe give him the Deku Leaf at the end of his aerial up special like Mr. Game & Watch might work too but he's already pretty floaty as is so its whatever I suppose...)
His hurricane spin is already in his up special, just let him be able to move with it on the ground at the cost of end lag.

Ice Arrows could be cool though, switch it to them with the R (or shield?) button like in the original WW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom