• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
A new Final Fantasy 7 character would unironically be one the best choices for the fighter pass.
Literally anyone from 7 would be fantastic. Been finishing up the game recently and it's solidly in my top 5 RPGs now, its quality and impact really aren't overhyped. It's kind of like the OoT of JRPGs, it's a timeless classic.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given how stingy Square is especially given how Final Fantasy songs there are I wouldn't bet on another FF rep getting in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Given how stingy Square is especially given how Final Fantasy songs there are I wouldn't bet on another FF rep getting in.
How the hell SE can be stingy with songs when they don't even own them?

Also, seriously? People are still going on with this after we got Hero with a respectable amount of content? I swear, we'll get 2B with 50 songs and some fans will still complain about how SE never gives Smash anything.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Literally anyone from 7 would be fantastic. Been finishing up the game recently and it's solidly in my top 5 RPGs now, its quality and impact really aren't overhyped. It's kind of like the OoT of JRPGs, it's a timeless classic.
I used to think it was overhyped or that I had nostalgia blinders on since I watched my brother play some of it as a kid but then I replayed it a few years ago and watched my friends play it for the first time ever this year and, yeah, it really is that good. Chilling messages, too, very relevant in many ways. A bit messy in the same way any game from that 90s era is (OOT very much included) but good god what it does right it does so right.

It'd be really neat if they ported Crisis Core to the Switch at some point. Give it some polish. It's a darn good game, too good to be stuck on the PSP.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
why rage on characters when you don't even know whether or not they're actually getting in at the end of the day?

Instead, let's rage about the characters already in, so which 3 characters would y'all demote to an assist trophy?
/s I hate putting this disclaimer up cuz it messes up the joke, but I know some of you are gonna take this post seriously and actually reply with legitimate answers. Please don't. Otherwise, y'all really need to get some help.
Mario, Pikachu, Link

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How the hell SE can be stingy with songs when they don't even own them?

Also, seriously? People are still going on with this after we got Hero with a respectable amount of content? I swear, we'll get 2B with 50 songs and some fans will still complain about how SE never gives Smash anything.
I thought it was just towards Final Fantasy.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Went back the last few pages and saw someone say Shantae is more iconic and popular then 2B...
Uh, she could very well be. You're talking about a character that's been around for decades vs a character that's been around for one game, which is the first game in it's franchise that wouldn't be described as incredibly niche.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I thought it was just towards Final Fantasy.
Nah, people were making conspiracy theories about how Sakurai "tricked" SE into giving him 8 songs by adding four Heroes, even though we know they were actually helpful and open-minded about working with him.

It's kinda ridiculous how people rage at Square-Enix for supposedly being stingy and then pity at Bandai-Namco for only getting one character.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The one thing people are as obsessed with as wanting their own characters is being right about the characters they think will be in.
I remember back in high school someone voted on a candidate just because they thought they were going to win, like the electoral process is a horse race.

Like that's NOT how voting/support threads are supposed to work at all, but I guess being the original thread creator of "Pokemon Sword/Shield character"/"Fire Emblem 18 Avatar" thread is some kind of badge of honor when you're proven correct, like you're some kind of prophet for guessing the blindingly obvious.
I unironically saw some people on some Discord supporting the "Monolith soft new ip protagonist"
Monolith-Soft_08-20-17_001.jpg
At this point it's not even "I really wan them" but "I think they might eventually get in so I will look like a genius if I predict it"

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The FF music situation ain't even Square's fault. The rights for FF content are owned by a bunch of different people, especially the music. It's a miracle they even got just Cloud and Midgar twice, TBH.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The FF music situation ain't even Square's fault. The rights for FF content are owned by a bunch of different people, especially the music. It's a miracle they even got just Cloud and Midgar twice, TBH.
I recall they were close to barely even getting:ultcloud:at all for Ultimate.

We definitely know who won't be coming back for an supposed Smash reboot/Smash 6...

D

Deleted member

It's been said every time this is mentioned that the limited song choice was NOT SQUARE'S DOING. The composer owns the rights to the music, so it was Nobuo Uematsu; NOT SQUARE. It's up to them and how stingy the composer is with their music. I know it sounds like this is an attack on you, but its not; I just get annoyed every time it gets ignored because this fact was brought up a billion times already (since Cloud's initial inclusion).

Another FF character is probably not likely anyway since Sakurai and Nintendo are trying to get more representation from series not seen in Smash (Byleth technically being the first main console FE series and first Switch exclusive game to be included), but if they did add one, chances are it'd be Sephiroth and we may...may get One Winged Angel and that's it out of it. The other main characters are good and all, but its Cloud & Sephiroth that are the characters that are well known and recognized throughout gaming. And from other games, of course Terra or Celes would be awesome, but again, its FF 7 that not only helped turn Playstation into the RPG system it became known for, it also helped the RPG genre itself gain steam in the west (it was a smaller niche genre back then).

The only other Square Enix rep I could see having a shot would be Crono since Chrono Trigger is still considered one of the best RPGs ever made and many developers still have a soft spot for it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
It's been said every time this is mentioned that the limited song choice was NOT SQUARE'S DOING. The composer owns the rights to the music, so it was Nobuo Uematsu; NOT SQUARE. It's up to them and how stingy the composer is with their music. I know it sounds like this is an attack on you, but its not; I just get annoyed every time it gets ignored because this fact was brought up a billion times already (since Cloud's initial inclusion).

Another FF character is probably not likely anyway since Sakurai and Nintendo are trying to get more representation from series not seen in Smash (Byleth technically being the first main console FE series and first Switch exclusive game to be included), but if they did add one, chances are it'd be Sephiroth and we may...may get One Winged Angel and that's it out of it. The other main characters are good and all, but its Cloud & Sephiroth that are the characters that are well known and recognized throughout gaming. And from other games, of course Terra or Celes would be awesome, but again, its FF 7 that not only helped turn Playstation into the RPG system it became known for, it also helped the RPG genre itself gain steam in the west (it was a smaller niche genre back then).

The only other Square Enix rep I could see having a shot would be Crono since Chrono Trigger is still considered one of the best RPGs ever made and many developers still have a soft spot for it as well.
I think back in the earliest ballots (like people wanting bowser in smash after 64) Crono was a big pick. But I think they're gonna want to strengthen living franchises or series that people really want in. Don't get me wrong I really want Crono too, but it's not like Banjo where everyone and their moms wanted him in

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Eeeehhhh I wouldn't say that, especially if Ultimate gets a Deluxe port on the next console 5 or so years from now.
Plus, Ultimate is now officially the best selling fighting game of ALL TIME. Smash 4 had the Wii U hampering it as well as having to buy the dlc again on the 3DS version (hell, the whole two versions thing IN GENERAL screwed it over). With how much money Ultimate made, bringing cloud back may not be a problem - in fact he may even come with more content. Maybe.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I recall they were close to barely even getting:ultcloud:at all for Ultimate.

We definitely know who won't be coming back for an supposed Smash reboot/Smash 6...
This has never really been confirmed though and there has been some conflicting evidence regarding whether or not Cloud was in there from an early point in Ultimate's development or not. We've only really got the "Everyone is Here" almost didn't happen, which could mean any number of things. Sure, it's relatively easy to look at Ultimate's lack of Final Fantasy content and try to arrive at that conclusion... but that's making a lot of assumptions too. We know that a lot of Final Fantasy content is marred in legal issues and that on average, it is more expensive to license as a result of those issues. Maybe that's just why Sakurai and company decided not to pursue additional content, all the additional stuff wasn't worth the considerable budget it would take to make happen.

Plus, Konami might have been the issue as far as we know, or even Sega or Capcom. They all have loads of content in the base game that indicates that they were willing partners, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Nintendo and Sakurai didn't have to work very hard to make that reality happen. Konami had even turned down Snake in Smash 4's DLC based upon Sakurai's book, so while Ultimate is a massive reversal of that ideology, it also indicates that there's more complexity to that situation than we generally give credit for.

It's also worth pointing out that Dragon Quest seems to have been lined up for a very long time prior to Hero's release, so it's possible that the Square Enix focus was also just always on making that content happen instead of just filling out the Final Fantasy content.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Another FF character is probably not likely anyway since Sakurai and Nintendo are trying to get more representation from series not seen in Smash (Byleth technically being the first main console FE series and first Switch exclusive game to be included), but if they did add one, chances are it'd be Sephiroth
I agree completly on the likeliness of a new FF rep as a whole. But honestly, I wouldn't discount a FFXIV rep if it were to happen. It's more recent, still alive, has massive success and would be a fantastic cross-promotion, especially if it brings FFXIV to the Switch with it. But if there's more SquareEnix, I think they'll go on something else.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The reason why a Dragalia Lost character is brought up so much for Smash is partially because it's an IP Nintendo owns and is heavily involved in.

I don't see why Granblue needs to be brought up against it when they're two completely different situations not even counting the fact that Nintendo has almost had no involvement with the franchise up until Versus which is a spin-off developed by ArcSystemWorks.

Granblue is CyGames' most popular franchise, yes, but just because something is popular doesn't mean it should get priority on that alone, it needs to be something that benefits both parties and considering it also has licensing issues that prevent the main game from releasing overseas it just doesn't really make sense to me.

At least with Dragalia it's something they own, could use Smash to give it more exposure overall, and also is available in most parts of the world except Europe, to me it honestly seems like the no-brainer choice to me, people are going to bring up "Popularity" but once again, that isn't everything.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Technically we already have a Granblue character in Smash

And another

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Sakurai had explicitly tweeted out the Rathalos pic, which to this day still looks like, and likely is, a Golden Sun reference.
Maybe it's the MH fan in me, but I always felt the 'Rathalos picture has to mean Isaac' argument was a little strange for the lack of a better term. While I'm aware of the angle of Golden Sun's battle, the image of a hunter/group of hunters facing down a monster is very prevalent in Monster Hunter's imagery as it's used in the majority of the covers such as the original, MHGU, or most recently, World. Additionally Arenas are common areas seen in the series as they're used to have the player fight the monster in a static environment like this. So it always felt more like a nod to MH more then Golden Sun, particularly since the Rathalos is the centerpiece of the image.

Of course, it could also have just been an image Sakurai thought was cool and there's nothing more to it then that, as he has done that before and still continues to do it with the recent tweets.

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I guess now that we're on the topic of Granblue Fantasy: can any of you kindly rascals please elaborate for my uncultured ass on whether the Granblue Smash rep of choice would either go to Gran, Kat, or someone else entirely? And one more question: even though NintenZ voiced his thoughts about this earlier, how confident do the rest of you guys feel about Granblue's chances of getting a fighter rep? Or would you be more reliant in their odds of getting a Spirit Event or Mii Costume instead?

I.D.

Smash Lord
I guess now that we're on the topic of Granblue Fantasy: can any of you kindly rascals please elaborate for my uncultured ass on whether the Granblue Smash rep of choice would either go to Gran, Kat, or someone else entirely?
It would be Gran/Djeeta 99% with one of Cygames' mascot crossover characters* being a distant second if they want to represent the company in general and not just Granblue alone.
how confident do the rest of you guys feel about Granblue's chances of getting a fighter rep? Or would you be more reliant in their odds of getting a Spirit Event or Mii Costume instead?
Not really confident at all but I think it's the most likely out of the "mobages". Nintendo and Cygames have a good relationship and Cygames is making efforts to expand outside Japan. Fate/Grand Order is owned by Sony and imagining Sakurai explaining the history behind it is just :laugh:. Dragalia Lost was a commercial disappointment. Every other choice just sounds too out there.

*Characters that turned out to be very popular, usually originating from Rage of Bahamut (their first big game), and consequently tend to make it to almost every game they make.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
The reason why a Dragalia Lost character is brought up so much for Smash is partially because it's an IP Nintendo owns and is heavily involved in.

I don't see why Granblue needs to be brought up against it when they're two completely different situations not even counting the fact that Nintendo has almost had no involvement with the franchise up until Versus which is a spin-off developed by ArcSystemWorks.

Granblue is CyGames' most popular franchise, yes, but just because something is popular doesn't mean it should get priority on that alone, it needs to be something that benefits both parties and considering it also has licensing issues that prevent the main game from releasing overseas it just doesn't really make sense to me.

At least with Dragalia it's something they own, could use Smash to give it more exposure overall, and also is available in most parts of the world except Europe, to me it honestly seems like the no-brainer choice to me, people are going to bring up "Popularity" but once again, that isn't everything.
Granblue's licensing isn't messy at all. The only reason why they don't bother with the "official" overseas release is because licensing all the collabs they've had is pretty expensive; and probably wouldn't work with the overseas release anyways. They already have a dedicated group of players outside of Japan as well, so there isn't any point. Officially releasing outside of JP is kind of pointless right now.

I don't really see why they would prioritize Dragalia over GBF. The game isn't successful at all in Japan, and is struggling outside of it. While the FE, Monster Hunter, and Megaman collabs all help it out get some fans, the game still struggles to retain those fans. Smash would pretty much be the same, what's the point to do it if people are still not interested?

Meanwhile GBF is getting actual console release (not on Nintendo, but still) which shows where Cygames priority lies. Besides Nintendo owns 10% of Cygames, so they both have a common interest in increasing the popularity of the series.

Besides this isn't the first time popularity played a big factor in who gets added into Smash first. Persona was chosen over SMT, despite the latter being way closer to Nintendo in recent years. Cloud was chosen over a more Nintendo associated rep. Ryu got in first despite SF 5 being Playstation exclusive.

Sure Dragalia is more associated with Nintendo, but at this point Nintendo association isn't the end all be all of who gets added. Especially when we talk about something that hasn't happened yet, such as a mobile character. Really the only exception to the Nintendo tries to prioritize the most popular/well known/mascot character of a 3rd party company is Banjo. But even then Banjo had tons of fan demand, and even Microsoft itself supporting it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
As for the DL vs Granblue thing, I don't think that 'competition' is really a thing on Sakurai or Nintendo's minds. They are owned by the same company (well partially in DL's case), but just like how Mega Man getting in didn't mean anything for Ryu later down the line I don't think the two would be in inherent battle for the slot with each other. More then likely it'd just be a case of they saw one of the two, it appealed to them, and they put them in Smash. The other franchise probably wouldn't factor into that decision outside of maybe a nod via something like some music or a cameo for the rest of the content, and the assertion that one getting in over the other means it 'won' is just a fan creation.

This also goes for other similar debates like Master Chief and Steve or Dante and Phoenix Wright, they're not at war, they're just owned by the same company. If Dante is picked it's not because they wanted another Capcom rep, it's because they wanted Dante, the character is what is chosen and they picked them because that's what they wanted to go with.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I agree completly on the likeliness of a new FF rep as a whole. But honestly, I wouldn't discount a FFXIV rep if it were to happen. It's more recent, still alive, has massive success and would be a fantastic cross-promotion, especially if it brings FFXIV to the Switch with it. But if there's more SquareEnix, I think they'll go on something else.
FFXIV_SH_Y'shtola_2.png
If they went with a FFXIV rep it'll most likely be Y'sthola. She was chosen as a playable character in Dissidia Final Fantasy NT, and seems to be pretty popular. The only thing is will they use her White Mage powers or...
her Black Mage powers
Or maybe you can change between the two like a special quirk, while also showing off the class change mechanic of FFXIV.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The other main characters are good and all, but its Cloud & Sephiroth & Tifa & Aerith that are the characters that are well known and recognized throughout gaming.

Apologies, fixed immediately.
If there's one thing I'm super glad about regarding the remake it's how it's starting a whole new generation of Barret fans! He's my boy.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Obviously Byleth is the first main console Fire Emblem...

that is, if you don't include... Marth... and the most popular lord... Ike...
Maybe it's an Atlus thing where how they pretend SMT and P1-2 don't exist, no Fire Emblem games ever existed before Awakening.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If we get a 2nd FF character, I'll completely understand if it's Sephiroth. He's one of the most iconic villains in video games.

But if it's NOT Sephiroth, then it shouldn't be a FF7 character at all. The rest of the franchise deserves the recognition, even if other FF7 characters are more recognized.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If we get a 2nd FF character, I'll completely understand if it's Sephiroth. He's one of the most iconic villains in video games.

But if it's NOT Sephiroth, then it shouldn't be a FF7 character at all. The rest of the franchise deserves the recognition, even if other FF7 characters are more recognized.
If we do get another FF character, I think it should be Terra Branford.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice

Kefka and/or Shantotto or I'll riot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom