• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
So what happens if none of the 6 new fighters are 3rd party? Will people cry, scream, or just be disappointed?
Legitimately one of my best outcomes, provided every character is from a series unrepresented with a playable character yet in Smash. I'd be beyond hype for this announcement.

Ok, so a New Capcom rep is a pretty popular pick.

Whats your Top 5 most wanted Capcom characters for next pass?
  1. Viewtiful Joe. Played the crap out of those games and they were so great. I feel like this era is kind of unrepresented in Smash. How many GC/GBA games even are there?
    1. Toon Link
    2. Roy?
    3. Mother 3 doesn't even count because it's never been released in my territory.
    4. Come to think of it neither does Roy for the same reason.
    5. Fludd?? Ridley's Meta Ridley alt costume? Villager (N64 tho)? Dark Samus I guess. Sucks to be a kid growing up in that era, shoulda loved the NES more. Gotta hold that L.
  2. Phoenix Wright. Same, see above. Give me beanie hobo alt costume.
  3. Amaterasu. Okami has a wonderful style and movest. I didn't love it super much when I played it either on the Wii or the Switch, but I love the aesthetic and the characters except Issun.
  4. Megaman.exe (RIP). Great games, great games.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Pretty decent overall - I do find it unlikely (one reason why I'm assuming the third party dominance will continue is that there's a lot of companies), but on the whole it's kinda refreshing.

Dante: Heck yes. Showtime baybee!
Sw / Sh Pokemon: Not exactly my first Nintendo choice.
Sora: Yes, love ridicolous combos.
Ribbon Girl / Twintelle: Plus points for variety.
Paper Mario: Eh, I can certainly live with him. Shame though that Nintendo's been really wobbly with the RPG series of late.
Geno: Also eh on him. I'm okay with the character and he could have a fun moveset. Never really clicked though.

I'd give it a, hmm. 4 / 6 overall.

Also, on the Chinese front:
My honest predictions are somewhat different. They are constantly changing, but they have a basis in everything I mentioned before + a little want.

Honestly, I think we will see;

Monster Hunter
Dante
Sora
SwSh Pokémon
KOS-MOS
Paper Mario

D

Deleted member

Good morning.

I've been reading all the predictions here, but if you ask me, then no, I won't be making any. Believe it or not, Sakurai is going to throw that one surprise curveball at us and we won't expect it.

To be honest, all of these predictions just feel like the same characters being speculated time and time again, and considering Sakurai knows his surprises, I doubt any of those would truly come to pass.

Just gotta let it outta my system.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
So what happens if none of the 6 new fighters are 3rd party? Will people cry, scream, or just be disappointed?
I'd be disappointed in the sense that it goes back to being "celebration of Nintendo" instead of "celebration of gaming", but Nintendo is pretty nifty on its own, so it's ultimately whatever. I think it would depend on the characters though. If it was all 1st party, I'd want super oddball picks in franchises not represented or barely represented if we include spirits. Captain Rainbow, Doshin the Giant, Aeron from Pandora's Tower, Mike Jones from Star Tropics, Frøy and Freia from Reginleiv, etc.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I guess I'll post my pass.

Dante/Phoenix Wright
Lloyd/Tales Rep
2B
Sol Badguy
Ryu Hayabusa
Eudan(if there's a 1st party character) or a Darksiders rep

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

(Rule time, to make things interesting, they can’t be from Megaman or Street Fighter)

5) Cody / Guy / Haggar / Maki (Final Fight)
4) Morrigan (Dark Stalkers)
3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe
1) Nathan “Radd” Spencer (Bionic Commando)

Bonus! A new Mii fighter costume for each.

Brawler: Frank West
Gunner: Chris Redfield
Swordsman: Strider Hiryu
I added a bonus rule of "I need to think they have a chance" so RE and MonHun are out alongside faces of the franchise going first
Dante
Ammy
Morrigan
Pheonix Wright
Viewtiful Joe

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Is it weird that I'm more looking forward to seeing which characters get in the background of the stages in this? I really like those cameos, its cool fanservice.

Droodle

Smash Lord
What if Sigurd starts of Fighters Pass 2 alongside a Genealogy remake? I think he's be a cool character that the Smash fanbase would love. They could even have a Seliph alt.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Is it weird that I'm more looking forward to seeing which characters get in the background of the stages in this? I really like those cameos, its cool fanservice.
Its partly why I really want to see some of my most wanted characters. Its great to see some of your favourite series side characters cheering you on as well, some of them finally showing up in 3D as well.

Rikarte

Smash Ace

(Rule time, to make things interesting, they can’t be from Megaman or Street Fighter)

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe

1. Firebrand
  2. Dante
  3. Monster Hunter
  4. Amaterasu
  5. Arthur

Capcom has too much good stuff - I really hope they're getting more than one fighter.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What if Sigurd starts of Fighters Pass 2 alongside a Genealogy remake? I think he's be a cool character that the Smash fanbase would love. They could even have a Seliph alt.
Memes aside, Seliph is more of a Marth whereas Sigurd has his mighty horse and every ****in weapon

EDIT: Wait Seliph has magic swords nvm

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Tried amending my Pass with a combination of general wants, future games, my personal picks, and missing Spirits. Reasoning below.
1579817015674.png

Travis: No More Heroes 3
Elma: Xenoblade remake, no Spirit or music representation, probably the closest thing we'll get to a PoC in Smash.
Dante: DMC3 style switching
Porky: No proper Spirit in Ultimate
Sylux: Metroid Prime 4, no Spirit
Ganon: Breath of the Wild 2, no Spirit of this incarnation, new Zelda rep

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

1. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
2. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
3. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
4. Amaterasu [Okami]
5. Dante [Devil May Cry]

:ultbrawler:. Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
:ultgunner:. Jill Valentine/Chris Redfield [Resident Evil]
:ultswordfighter:. Strider Hiryu [Strider]

Anybody think this is indicative of what we’ll see going forward?
Japan: 4/10
US: 3/10
UK: 2.5/10
You can do better, World!

1) Arthur
2) Arthur
3) Arthur
4) Arthur
5) Arthur
That list needs Firebrand.

Reactions to this Fighter Pass Vol. 2?
3/6
Also, after about half an hour messing on Photoshop and Paint.net (because the former can't paste transparent backgrounds), I was able to finally make my own prediction card (although logos are messy, but I feel like there wasn't any way to dance around them):
What do y'all think?
4/6! Great job!

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe

1) Leon Kennedy
2) Monster Hunter
3) Dante
4) Phoenix Wright
5) Arthur

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Its partly why I really want to see some of my most wanted characters. Its great to see some of your favourite series side characters cheering you on as well, some of them finally showing up in 3D as well.
A Yokai watch or Professor Layton stage would be cool just for those series cameos.

You know looking back the Street fighter 2 stage feels really barren compared to the other DLC stages this series has had.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tried amending my Pass with a combination of general wants, future games, my personal picks, and missing Spirits. Reasoning below.
View attachment 259381
Travis: No More Heroes 3
Elma: Xenoblade remake, no Spirit or music representation, probably the closest thing we'll get to a PoC in Smash.
Dante: DMC3 style switching
Porky: No proper Spirit in Ultimate
Sylux: Metroid Prime 4, no Spirit
Ganon: Breath of the Wild 2, no Spirit of this incarnation, new Zelda rep
Elma DOES have a Spirit. BUT! It will literally not be available until you free 50 fighters in Adventure Mode. It literally won’t appear any other way until then. Also she’s listed under OG Xenoblade while there’s a 2 category, and there’s no X music. So maybe that gives her an advantage over other Spirit promotion hopefuls.

ps. Props for including Elma in the pass

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe

Jin Saotome
Amaterasu
Phoenix Wright
Strider
Tron Bonne
Morrigan

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Anybody think this is indicative of what we’ll see going forward?
That image is just a prank.

I gathered some speculation images (only from twitter).
https://imgur.com/a/25FugbC
EDIT: Thought I uploaded a bunch but they all went somewhere else oh well I'll upload them later again when I feel like it.
EDIT: And they're up now.

https://twitter.com/sa2fdi/status/1217393882029125632
Polls before Byleth.

Poll 1, 2774 votes
SwSh Pokemon Trainer 17.2%
Crash 25.2%
Sora 38.9%
Dante 18.8%

Poll 2, 1156 votes
Geno 10.6%
Waluigi 32.1%
Arle 33.4%
Feylne 24%

Poll 3, 1022 votes
Steve 39.8%
Tales rep 15.9%
Bandana Dee 27.2%
Amaterasu 17%

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm probably a little late on this, but this would be my ideal Fighters Pass - I'm not even going to bother making a realistic prediction, because I know I'd be WAY off.

https://i.imgur.com/8qEPkxr.png

Not sure about the image quality. If images are broken, my list is Geno, Doomguy, Elma, Dante, Rayman, and Travis Touchdown. (in no particular order)

If I even got one of those characters, I'd be happy, though there are plenty of other characters that I'd like to see. Crash Bandicoot, Bandanna Waddle Dee, or 2B come to mind, though I've only beaten two or three Crash games (not sure whether or not I should count Crash Team Racing), and I haven't played much of Nier Automata, though I have it on Steam.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Rate this pass pls:

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Master Chief
3. 2B
4. Travis Touchdown
5. Dante
6. New Zelda character from BoTW2

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That image is just a prank.

I gathered some speculation images (only from twitter).
https://imgur.com/a/25FugbC
EDIT: Thought I uploaded a bunch but they all went somewhere else oh well I'll upload them later again when I feel like it.

https://twitter.com/sa2fdi/status/1217393882029125632
Polls before Byleth.

Poll 1, 2774 votes
SwSh Pokemon Trainer 17.2%
Crash 25.2%
Sora 38.9%
Dante 18.8%

Poll 2, 1156 votes
Geno 10.6%
Waluigi 32.1%
Arle 33.4%
Feylne 24%

Poll 3, 1022 votes
Steve 39.8%
Tales rep 15.9%
Bandana Dee 27.2%
Amaterasu 17%
Happy to see some Steve fans from Japan.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

1. A tie between Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney) and Dante (Devil May Cry)
  2. Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
  3. Hunter (Monster Hunter)
  4. Frank West (Dead Rising)
  5. Ruby Heart (Versus Series)
  • Mii Fighter costumes
    • :ultmiifighters: - Amingo (Versus Series)
    • :ultbrawler: - Vergil w/ Beowulf (Devil May Cry 3)
    • :ultswordfighter: - The Arisen (Dragon's Dogma)
    • :ultgunner: - Nero w/ Mega Buster (Devil May Cry 5)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

1. Amaterasu
2. Phoenix Wright

Sorry they're really the only Capcom reps I want honestly...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
How could you say that?? Those characters still aren't in the game...
With the arguable exception of Porky, who is a major villain, the missing Spirits are for the most part relatively minor characters. I don't see why Nintendo would prioritize them over a new first party or even a Spirit/AT promotion.

On an unrelated note, I'm waiting for the River City Spirit battles. Considering we only started getting events post-Joker, we might get more third party Spirits this season.

I want to believe, but my gut tells me Phoenix and Arle will be among these events... don't know why, I'm just not optimistic.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
With the arguable exception of Porky, who is a major villain, the missing Spirits are for the most part relatively minor characters. I don't see why Nintendo would prioritize them over a new first party or even a Spirit/AT promotion.

On an unrelated note, I'm waiting for the River City Spirit battles. Considering we only started getting events post-Joker, we might get more third party Spirits this season.

I want to believe, but my gut tells me Phoenix and Arle will be among these events... don't know why, I'm just not optimistic.
An Ace attorney spirit event makes way too much sense for me for some reason.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably a little late on this, but this would be my ideal Fighters Pass - I'm not even going to bother making a realistic prediction, because I know I'd be WAY off.

Not sure about the image quality. If images are broken, my list is Geno, Doomguy, Elma, Dante, Rayman, and Travis Touchdown. (in no particular order)

If I even got one of those characters, I'd be happy, though there are plenty of other characters that I'd like to see. Crash Bandicoot, Bandanna Waddle Dee, or 2B come to mind, though I've only beaten two or three Crash games (not sure whether or not I should count Crash Team Racing), and I haven't played much of Nier Automata, though I have it on Steam.
After Corrin and now Byleth, I'm 99.9% sure if Nintendo went with a Xenoblade Chronicles X rep it would be Cross (the avatar character) even if Elma is 1000x more interesting.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Dante
Pokémon from SwSh
Sora
Ribbon Girl (or Twintelle)
Paper Mario
Geno

Kind of a sordid bunch, but I’m trying to make predictions based of some semblance of a pattern, trends, popularity, and logic. I added Ribbon Girl simply for ARMS and to have a solely female character as DLC. I thought about Lara Croft or Tracer as well.
Dante - Cool, but does nothing for me personally.
Pokemon from SwSh - Depends who it is. I'm big on Rillaboom and especially Toxtricity, but I'm lukewarm on Cinderace.
Sora - Meh, I'd have to see what he does.
Ribbon Girl - Odd choice, but seems fun.
Paper Mario - Could be neat, but there's so many ways to take his moveset, so he could sink or swim.
Geno - Hell yeah.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Absolute favorite. I even like Elma for the next Xenorep too.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
After Corrin and now Byleth, I'm 99.9% sure if Nintendo went with a Xenoblade Chronicles X rep it would be Cross (the avatar character) even if Elma is 1000x more interesting.
I don't know; they did have Elma represent the game in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. That might have been Monolith Soft's decision, but it seems telling that Elma got that and a spirit in the base game of Smash Ultimate, while Cross got neither.

Absolute favorite. I even like Elma for the next Xenorep too.
Thanks! I doubt it's likely (I can't think that Nintendo would have a character from a Wii U exclusive game as the sole first party character in this Fighters Pass, and it's probably a little heavy on the third party characters), but I'd love to see any of those characters make it into Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Good morning.

I've been reading all the predictions here, but if you ask me, then no, I won't be making any. Believe it or not, Sakurai is going to throw that one surprise curveball at us and we won't expect it.

To be honest, all of these predictions just feel like the same characters being speculated time and time again, and considering Sakurai knows his surprises, I doubt any of those would truly come to pass.

Just gotta let it outta my system.
In my experience, this thread seems to call at least one character. The catch is that we never expect said character at the time of reveal, we just feel like they're comming.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman

Dante
Pokémon from SwSh
Sora
Ribbon Girl (or Twintelle)
Paper Mario
Geno

Kind of a sordid bunch, but I’m trying to make predictions based of some semblance of a pattern, trends, popularity, and logic. I added Ribbon Girl simply for ARMS and to have a solely female character as DLC. I thought about Lara Croft or Tracer as well.
  • Not my first choice for Capcom but he's pretty Stylish (he'd destroy the competitive scene, no doubt)
  • Unless it's that Kung fu Panda legendary, hard pass
  • Very little attachment to KH but it'd make everyone happy (bonus if Disney characters show up)
  • Long range female fighter with high mobility? Sign me the **** up!
  • Paper Mario is the GOAT, I'd buy the fighter pass just for him.
  • Geno is fine and all, but I only support him so we can get more Super Mario RPG in Smash.
4/6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom