• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I kind of like surprise characters.

In fact some of them are among my favorites, like:
:ultpit: :ultpokemontrainer: :ultryu: :ultcloud: :ult_terry: :ultduckhunt:

I admit not all of them, but most of them.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'd really, really like to see Sakurai livestream himself playing any Drakengard game, or literally anyone who claims to be a large fan of Drakengard. They are goddawful games that sold like crap and are retroactively being liked due to Yoko Taro becoming a meme figure.
Drakengard 1 is not a fun game but it survives on the basis of a strong world and story. Even it's fans acknowledge that.

Drakengard 2 isn't a Yoko Taro game. It doesn't count.

Drakengard 3 is a ****ing wild ride. The gameplay is serviceable and the Everything Else knocks it out of the park.

NieR Replicant is a beautiful game with decent if somewhat repetitive gameplay and a spectacular story and amazing characters.

Automata is the first one that manages to take everything Yoko Taro does best and marries it with fantastic gameplay and ways that use videogames as a whole to create an experience unlike any other.

Not even fans of the series are saying the early Drakennier games are good, man. They all survived on the strength of what Yoko Taro does as an artist. But like, that's not a secret or a "gotcha" like you seem to think it is.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Drakengard 1 is not a fun game but it survives on the basis of a strong world and story. Even it's fans acknowledge that.
Strong world and story? It's a collection of nonsensical shock value moments stitched together. The world is a just a map of Europe turned upside down :laugh:

More people know of Drakengard games from those let's plays from The Dark Id that actually playing those things (understandable since nobody bought these games), and he constantly mocks how unfun and horribly designed they are to play throughout the whole thing :laugh:

Edit:
Should have pointed out you could have ended your post right here:
Drakengard is not a fun game

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Spam
Strong world and story? It's a collection of nonsensical shock value moments stitched together. The world is a just a map of Europe turned upside down :laugh:

More people know of Drakengard games from those let's plays from The Dark Id that actually playing those things (understandable since nobody bought these games), and he constantly mocks how unfun and horribly designed they are to play throughout the whole thing :laugh:
okay man

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
OK I just downed some donuts so I'm gonna go hard on this.

One of the FP2 First Party characters is likely to be Porky Minch. he will have 4 alts based on his young Earthbound appearance and 4 alts based on the old ruler in Mother 3. both forms will have him fighting in his respective Spider Mech from each game. His Spirit Board will be themed around his closest connections-Spirits based on his parents and brother, Spirits based on the Pigmask solders and the Porky Statue, and Spirits of Giegue and Giygas.

The other First Party is gonna be Adeleine from Kirby. just like in Star Allies she will be teamed up with Ribbon to use various aerial techs plus have the Crystal Gun, along with her Canvas Summon abilities. Her Spirit Board will be themed around Kirby 64 generally, with The Fairy Queen, Acro, 0 and Zero Two. Might also see Canvas Curse Spirits like Ball Kirby and Drawcia due to sharing an art theme, as well as Void Termina and Hyness from Star Allies due to being a new parts of the Dark Matter Saga.

K Sugar Rush over, I'm out
LivelyRightCod-max-1mb.gif

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
BEST DAD. SONY TOO.4
I mean...if you don't count the kid he brutally murdered, su- no, you know what, not even if you ignore that.

Nuh-uh because according to my arbitrary rules Kazooie doesn't count as a female character because she shares the spotlight with Banjo, meanwhile female Byleth does despite sharing the spotlight with the DEFAULT male Byleth.
To be fair, Kazooie is practically a glorified accessory. And female Byleth only shares the spotlight if you want her to. You can just never use male Byleth.

Like, it's okay to want a female character, but you was kinda rude toward Ryu's fans? I just hope that everybody gotten nicer over time.
Judging from their new avatar, they haven't.

Chrom really doesn't work as a Marth alt.
Yeah, that Marth clone totally doesn't make sense as a Marth alt...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
OK I just downed some donuts so I'm gonna go hard on this.

One of the FP2 First Party characters is likely to be Porky Minch. he will have 4 alts based on his young Earthbound appearance and 4 alts based on the old ruler in Mother 3. both forms will have him fighting in his respective Spider Mech from each game. His Spirit Board will be themed around his closest connections-Spirits based on his parents and brother, Spirits based on the Pigmask solders and the Porky Statue, and Spirits of Giegue and Giygas.

The other First Party is gonna be Adeleine from Kirby. just like in Star Allies she will be teamed up with Ribbon to use various aerial techs plus have the Crystal Gun, along with her Canvas Summon abilities. Her Spirit Board will be themed around Kirby 64 generally, with The Fairy Queen, Acro, 0 and Zero Two. Might also see Canvas Curse Spirits like Ball Kirby and Drawcia due to sharing an art theme, as well as Void Termina and Hyness from Star Allies due to being a new parts of the Dark Matter Saga.

K Sugar Rush over, I'm out
View attachment 258738
I really don't think the "first party characters who weirdly didn't get spirited" thing holds any water. Especially not now. A second pass wasn't planned from the start, so it's not like they were "saving" them like you could argue for Byleth and Three Houses content.

The answer instead seems obvious to me. The absence of Porky is a joke about the Absolutely Safe Capsule. And Adeline was likely just skipped over because she's not very important.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd really, really like to see Sakurai livestream himself playing any Drakengard game, or literally anyone who claims to be a large fan of Drakengard. They are goddawful games that sold like crap and are retroactively being liked due to Yoko Taro becoming a meme figure.
You're right in that the gameplay of the Drakengard series sucks a big one (this also applies to the Nier series to an extent).

Sakurai specifically praised the story of these games however, and fans seem to agree that the story makes up for any underwhelming gameplay.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Let's be real, Amaterasu doesn't have much going for her, at least in the face of other Capcom reps. Okami is a dead series kept alive by remakes and has an incredibly small amount of relevance or popularity compared to Capcom's other series. In regards to her ties with Nintendo, both Phoenix and Monster Hunter beat her out so even that claim is dubious. Monster Hunter similarly faces challenges in already existing base game content. While it is true that Byleth was added and built onto already existing Fire Emblem content, and likewise Monster Hunter could be added and build onto already existing Monster Hunter content, there is no precedent for this occurring with third parties. So far third party DLC has only roped in new series.

Your argument about 2B seems to be in bad faith considering you don't acknowledge the fact that Sakurai is on the record as a large fan of the Drakengard and Nier series (even going so far as to play both versions of the original Nier), and is known to be friends with Drakengard and Nier series director Yoko Taro. Furthermore, at this point it's well known that Sora is primarily a Disney rep, and Square Enix wouldn't be as critical in negotiations for him than for one of their characters. 2B's also consistently ranked in the lower half of Japanese popularity polls (with Japan being the demographic appealed to the most), so she doesn't suffer from a complete lack of popularity. Augmented by the aforementioned factors, I can definitely see her taking the Square Enix spot.
I don't think Amaterasu is completely out of the running. Okami has become a highly celebrated modern classic which receives constant re-releases, with the Switch release doing particularly well if E-Shop statistics are anything to go by. Likewise, the series may not be as dead as we once thought, if Kamiya's interest is anything to go by. Likewise, choosing a character or franchise isn't just a contest to see who has the strongest ties with Nintendo, or else Hero would've been added before Cloud. While there is no precedent for a 3rd Party in the game getting more DLC, that's not to say it couldn't happen. Plus, it's not like Monster Hunter has an extremely high amount of base game content to begin with: we have a boss/assist trophy, boss arena, and one music track. There's so little content pre-existing that it's not difficult to gather enough new stuff to make a DLC pack.

Even if we assume Amaterasu and Monster Hunter are out of the running for the sake of discussion, that still doesn't mean Dante is anywhere close to a lock. He's still got competition in Phoenix Wright, another Capcom character with an equally strong resume. Likewise, we don't even know if we're getting another Capcom character in the Fighter's Pass. Maybe Sakurai thinks Mega Man and Street Fighter are enough for the Big C. Does Dante have a fighting chance? Absolutely yes. Is he inevitable like some people in the thread are selling him as? Absolutely no.

Regarding 2B, I don't think I'm arguing in bad faith. I'm not opposed to 2B's inclusion, she could actually be pretty neat, I just think a lot of people are overrating her chances on somewhat flimsy evidence. I will admit, I did not know about Sakurai's affiliation towards Drakengard, and that undoubtly helps 2B a lot. However, there's still a lot more to getting a spot in Smash than Sakurai liking your series (especially if you're a 3rd party, which often have to play by a much more strict ruleset).

The most common argument for her inclusion is comparing her to Joker, but I still think this is a weak argument. Drakengard/Nier simply doesn't have the legacy that Shin Megami Tensei/Persona have. Likewise, Sakurai didn't just like Persona 5 enough to play through it multiple times, he liked it so much that it had a demonstrable effect on his work. The same can't be said about Nier: Automata. Likewise, Joker had relatively little competition at the Sega front (only Kiryu, Arle, or another Shin Megami Tensei or Persona character), 2B's got it a lot rougher as a Square character. Is 2B definitely a popular choice for Smash, but she's eclipsed by both Sora and Geno in terms of Smash requests. She's a big fish with the misfortune of being between two whales. Additionally, while Sora is legally a Disney character, he's largely considered a Square character in the eyes of the general public and has the company's DNA all over him. As such, when considering Smash, I don't think it's that out there to label Sora as both a Square character and a Disney character, thusly meaning he would still be in competition with 2B.

2B could happen, but I have yet to see an argument suggesting she's particularly likely.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The thing is 2B isn't likely and anyone arguing that she's "likely" is, uh, not correct. But she's a lot more possible now than she ever felt before due to Square pushing her, Automata being a shocking success, and Sakurai being a big fan, which is cool as she's one of my pipe dreams.

Also without going into spoiler territory there is a v[E]ry specific thing in Ultimate that is very familiar to Automata fans to the point that jokes have been made about it since Ultimate came out and as we've seen with things like the UI, white fadeouts in Classic mode, and more Sakurai definitely likes to slip in references to other games that inspire him.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The thing is 2B isn't likely and anyone arguing that she's "likely" is, uh, not correct. But she's a lot more possible now than she ever felt before due to Square pushing her, Automata being a shocking success, and Sakurai being a big fan, which is cool as she's one of my pipe dreams.

Also without going into spoiler territory there is a v[E]ry specific thing in Ultimate that is very familiar to Automata fans to the point that jokes have been made about it since Ultimate came out and as we've seen with things like the UI, white fadeouts in Classic mode, and more Sakurai definitely likes to slip in references to other games that inspire him.
I didn't even think of that. I guess there's a point to be made for this thing being in the game since Brawl (or Melee?), but the style of Ultimate's is very close to that [E]xperience in Nier: Automata.

Great point Fly.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I just want to remind everyone to take any Sakurai praise with a grain of salt, we all know how that "Xenoblade bias" turned out in the end.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I didn't even think of that. I guess there's a point to be made for this thing being in the game since Brawl (or Melee?), but the style of Ultimate's is very close to that [E]xperience in Nier: Automata.

Great point Fly.
SSB and Melee was more in the style of an on-rails shooter like Star Fox.
Brawl had no minigame.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

To be fair, I don't see 2B as a general frontrunner, but I do see her as likely among SE characters specifically. I predicted her or Sora as first because the first reveal of S2 is probably going to be the crazier one.

Also, if she gets in and "that" doesn't play during her Classic Mode credits, I'll be disappointed in Sakurai. ;)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The answer instead seems obvious to me. The absence of Porky is a joke about the Absolutely Safe Capsule. And Adeline was likely just skipped over because she's not very important.
meh...
I can't disagree more.

Really, there are many less important spirits in the game, such as the 3 animal friends exclusive to Dream Land 3 (Pitch, Nago and Chuchu) and Gryll, an obscure character from a japan-only spin-off who only the hardcore Kirby fans know.

If Adeleine has been skipped, it's not because of importance. Also, it's not just Adeleine, but Kirby 64 as a whole that's been skipped. Taranza is not there as well but at least Triple Deluxe is represented with Queen Sectonia. Kirby 64 is an important game in the series, it's really odd that's not represented.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So Shroob came up with an interesting theory on the Social thread on the possibility of there being more fighters in the form of Echos. Especially given Sakurai never mentioned there wouldn't be any.

Assuming the WoL leak is true four more DLC Echos would help fill in the remaining four slots and whose to say some of these supposed Echos won't be revealed alongside some of the remaining 6 fighters?

If true I could see Octoling being among those.
My 4 most wanted Echoes would be:
46e. Bass [Megaman]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Awesome - KOS-MOS
Indifferent - Arle, Hayabusa, Doomguy
Legendary - Fiora, Black Shadow, Octoling
Salty - I guess Heihachi?
Best Pick - Elma

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So Shroob came up with an interesting theory on the Social thread on the possibility of there being more fighters in the form of Echos. Especially given Sakurai never mentioned there wouldn't be any.

Assuming the WoL leak is true four more DLC Echos would help fill in the remaining four slots and whose to say some of these supposed Echos won't be revealed alongside some of the remaining 6 fighters?

I'd like to see:

Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong) - More of a Ken/Chrom style semiclone than a full echo

Impa (Sheik)

Octoling (Inkling)

Ms. Pac Man (Pac Man)

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Also, it's not just Adeleine, but Kirby 64 as a whole that's been skipped. Taranza is not there as well but at least Triple Deluxe is represented with Queen Sectonia. Kirby 64 is an important game in the series, it's really odd that's not represented.
Did Sakurai have anything to do with Kirby 64?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Octoling would probably be a semi clone, but assuming pass 2 is Hayabusa - Elma - Neku - Octoling (not treated as Echo) - KOS-MOS - Arle

then this four echoes pass would be:

1. Kasumi (Joker echo)
2. Black Shadow (Ken/Chrom-style Captain Falcon echo)
3. Mecha-Fiora (Ken/Chrom-style Elma echo)
4. Medusa (Palutena echo using some of her alt moves from 4) OR T-elos (KOS-MOS echo)

This is my opinion for Pass 2 with Mii Costumes. What do you guys think?

View attachment 258742
> Ori costume
Yay!

>KOS-MOS costume
Nooooooo...

>no Gunvolt & Copen costumes with music
oof

>no Monokuma costume
Double oof

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Didn't Kirby 64 also kinda kill the main series for an entire console generation before it was brought back with Return to Dreamland?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Did Sakurai have anything to do with Kirby 64?
Yes, he voiced King Dedede in the game.

Aside of that, the game was directed by Shinichi Shimomura, the one who directed all the Dark Matter games.
Though Sakurai didn't have anything to do with most of the Kirby franchise, he just did a few games and the others are all made by other people.

Didn't Kirby 64 also kinda kill the main series for an entire console generation before it was brought back with Return to Dreamland?
No, in fact the handheld games are considered main series too, and a game for Gamecube was in development but got canceled not because of Kirby 64, but because they thought the game was not good enough to be released and redesigned it completely like 3 times.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Nah, maybe mainline on console didn't happen but it had tons of great handheld titles almost every year. Sakurai just didn't have a lot to do with the Dark Matter trilogy so he's probably unfamiliar.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Since a lot of people have been posting their predictions here are mine

The Top image is what I think is going to happen
And the bottom is what I'd like to see personally

View attachment 258717
1. King Boo I think is a safe bet considering Luigi's Mansion 3 came out on October 31st in 2019 and the fighters for the next pass were chosen in November 2019.

2. As much as I don't like Pokemon Sword and Shield Rillaboom seems like an obvious one to me. With a new pass and a new Pokemon region being released while the choosing process came about I'm assuming they're going to add some pokemon from the Galar region. I'm assuming Rillaboom since they've mainly been choosing starters for newer regions and we already have a water type (Greninja) and a fire type (Incineroar)

3. I chose Ryze from League of Legends since Riot Games is owned by Tencent and Nintendo has a good relationship with them as they are helping bringing the Switch to the Chinese market. LoL is now coming to the Switch with the Wild Rift. Riot Games has been recently trying to expand their reach with new games and partnerships. A lot of these said new games and partnerships were announced in late 2019. The same time as the new fighters were being chosen. Ryze was picked specifically out of the over 140 champions due to being one of the original champions and both his popularity and his near mascot status.

4. Geno because even Sakurai said he wanted him back in Brawl and he feels like the next step for a 3rd Square Rep

5. Ravis Touchdown due to the new No More Heroes game coming to Switch and Ubisofts relationship with Nintendo. Though I would much rather have Rayman as a Ubisoft rep.

6. Sora because of how highly requested he is. Disney said they would be happy to let him in and Square is already in Smash. KH3 is having new DLC coming this month

View attachment 258718
1. King Boo. When I was younger I didn't think he could work but now I could see him as a unique take on the Tank archetype with intangibility for his shield and hovering for his jumps

2. Crypto's in mainly because of my childhood. But I would've said no before due to the first pass conflicting with the announcement of the Destroy All Humans remaster announcement but now that a 2nd Fighters Pass is coming now he actually has a chance.

3. I've been wanting Sora for as long as I've wanted Shadow the Hedgehog. Since the days of Brawl.

4. Same for Crash. (Though I'm not looking forward to the annoying "harhar Crash in Smash and not PlayStation Allstars" comments. I think I would just delete Twitter for the next month just to avoid it considering no one wants to actually look up the development hell that game went through.

5. Same from Crypto but considering his popularity from the 90's, almost being considered a rival to both Mario and Sonic back then I think he has a way better chance than Crypto.

6. I just like Ahri. Even though if they are going to add a League champion it's most likely going to be one of the originals which Ahri is not. I can't help but to root for my main. (Akali is good too)

Template from @RealMarkProd on Twitter. Give him a follow!
This is a fairly common misconception in which people assume the DLC is decided without any reasoning. We don’t know when the DLC was decided. For instance Even though it was announced in September we don’t know if that means August was the month it was finalised in. Due to the fact that we have no clue about when they finished the dlc plans the evidence you provide king Boo is based on pure speculation so it doesn’t really do much in terms of his chances

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
WE GOT THE EROGE REP BOYS LETS GO
Well, I mean, just the first game was..and it's remake wasn't..more Visual Novel rep now.
Still a funny origin though.
I can't wait for Sakurai's 10 minute rundown of the eroge genre.
"The first game in her series wasn't for good boys & girls"
I don't think there's such a thing as "underrepresented" in Sakurai's mind. If the game is mentioned in Ultimate in any way, shape, or form then it counts towards the biggest gaming crossoverand he can stop worrying about it.
I meant mostly in regards to music and Spirits..there has to be something for them to add, y'see. Like for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it's main characters have Spirits, but their are some main Blades and characters (like the Torna guys) that aren't in. It's lacking a lot of music too.
Yeah, that Marth clone totally doesn't make sense as a Marth alt...
Honestly, it's always bugged me that Chrom wasn't an Ike echo with a Marth move instead..
This is my opinion for Pass 2 with Mii Costumes. What do you guys think?

View attachment 258742
Great choices. I suspect that at least 1 would be Nintendo 1st or 2nd party though.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
All the handheld games are mainline, so nah, Kirby was doing just fine. Only reason main console Kirby took until the end of the Wii to come back is because the initial core concept of Return to Dreamland started on the GCN, but got stuck in development hell.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not exactly. Kirby is one of those series that consider its' handheld entries as part of the the main series. So Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland came out just a few years after 64.

There wasn't a main Kirby on Gamecube outside of Air Ride but that was thanks to development setbacks, not a lack of intrest.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Opossum Opossum I found this quote from an interview (Kotaku interview to Kumazaki, the actual director of Kirby)

“There were other characters that we wanted to make special guest appearances, like Drawcia, Elline, Shadow Kirby, Galacta Knight, and so on. But we established a certain rule for our selection process. The rule was to select one character from each title in the main action games over the years, the so-called core Kirby games, the equivalent to numbered sequels.”
Adeleine passed the selection, so she's definitely as much important as any other "Dream Friend", and apparently more important than all those side characters who have been excluded.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Octoling would probably be a semi clone, but assuming pass 2 is Hayabusa - Elma - Neku - Octoling (not treated as Echo) - KOS-MOS - Arle

then this four echoes pass would be:

1. Kasumi (Joker echo)
2. Black Shadow (Ken/Chrom-style Captain Falcon echo)
3. Mecha-Fiora (Ken/Chrom-style Elma echo)
4. Medusa (Palutena echo using some of her alt moves from 4) OR T-elos (KOS-MOS echo)

> Ori costume
Yay!

>KOS-MOS costume
Nooooooo...

>no Gunvolt & Copen costumes with music
oof

>no Monokuma costume
Double oof
I completely forgot to mention which ones got music:

Dante Mii Pack - Phoenix Wright gets a music tune (In between the Pursuit - Cornered or a new remix similar to how UMVC3 did it)
Hayabusa Mii Pack - Shovel Knight gets a music tune (Strike The Earth! Plains of Passage. New remix version)
Master Chief Mii Pack - Tricky as Killer Instinct and Ori have awesome tunes. I also forgot to put Steve as a Mii Costume (Swordfighter)
Sora Mii Pack - 2B gets a music tune (Tricky which one, though. This Cannot Continue, Goliath 1, Birth of a Wish, etc. Nier's music is awesome)
Crash Mii Pack - In between Layton or Ratchet get a music track.
Travis Mii Pack - I'll cheat and say Kratos and Sol get a music track (God of War 2018 Overture for Kratos and Big Blast Sonic for Sol)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I didn't know about this, neat.

Either way, I think this sums up my thoughts about 2B kinda nicely. She's possible, but she has an uphill battle at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom