• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Now I got a FP2 game. Make your ultimate middle finger fighters pass, or the one that's made to 100% piss people off. The only rules I have are no 4th parties and no more than 1 character per series, so no 6 Fire Emblem reps.
1. Sigurd
2. Reimu
3. CD-i Link
4. Hatsune Miku
5. Mavis Beacon
6. Lester the Unlikely

If Miku and Beacon don't count, replace with Haruka Amami and Nico Yazawa.

I on the other hand would love a full weeb pass for the salt and also because I'm a full weeb.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Okay here's a scenario for all of you. Let's say that the characters announced in the second fighter pass meet these criteria:

- One of them is awesome, but you've never played the game he/she is from
- Two of them you are indifferent about (don't love, don't hate)
- One of them you are happy about because they are legendary (define that how you will, but you have to have a good argument)
- One makes you hella salty
- One is so good it justifies the entire pass by itself.

In your answers, you can "upgrade" spirits, but not assist trophies. Only one answer per category.
- Saber from Fate/stay night*
--- Never played any game in the series, just saw a single movie and Saber looked cool, especially with her mostly unseen Wind Blade.
- Crash Bandicoot & Doomguy (I'd at least love DOOM music in Smash)
- 2B from NieR Automata
--- First Yoko Taro game to be a critical success, became well known due to a lewd hoax, one of SE's few high popular, non-FF or DQ series.
- Steve from Minecraft
--- ugly design, limited animations in home game..prefer just a stage or Mii Costume
- Sora from Kingdom Hearts
--- Is my #1 most wanted character request (was tied with Byleth to be honest..I'm biased).

*While popular as an Anime, Fate/stay night did begin as a Visual Novel game for PC..an Eroge one..but it was cleaned up a bit and ported to PS2 and stayed that way more or less since..its a massively popular series in Japan, so Saber isn't really an unlikely pick to be honest.

Edit: Realized I had a better, more fun character for the 'Awesome but never played' answer.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Okay here's a scenario for all of you. Let's say that the characters announced in the second fighter pass meet these criteria:

- One of them you are happy about because they are legendary (define that how you will, but you have to have a good argument)

In your answers, you can "upgrade" spirits, but not assist trophies. Only one answer per category.
Boo, your stupid rules prevented me from choosing Waluigi :mad:
But fine, I'll play.

Awesome: Travis (atm it's Travis but I've been planning on playing his games for a long time, I just never had the chance)
Indifference: Sora, Rayman
Legendary: Gordon Freeman (It's Half-Life, it literally changed the industry)
Salty: Tracer (Please give me Crash or Arthas instead)
Best pick: Kratos

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Awesome: Travis Touchdown - Never played No more Heroes but hopefully number 3 will be my debut into the series.
Indifferent 1: Sora - Not a big fan of the whole Disney meets anime but fans have been requesting him since Brawl.
Indifferent 2: Master Chief - He would bring the Smash house down but he's kind of a meh character to me since I like Doom Guy better.
Legendary: Geno - The only one that fits this category for me. Like Sora, Geno has been requested since Brawl and despite being from one game, he's immensely popular and has a roaring fanbase which would make it a sight to see him get in.
Salty: Dragonborn - I don't like the idea of the Dragonborn being a character. Nothing will make me accept him... except for...
Justifies the whole pass: Sgt. Cortez! - Time to Split!
Boat Shake.gif

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The ideal number is the amount of characters I want to play as.

So...
  1. Marth
  2. Lyndis
  3. Ike
  4. Robin
  5. Byleth
Yep that's it

He did it

It's over

He made the best Fire Emblem roster

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
User was warned for this post

Mine are:

Awesome - Crash
Indifferent - Doomguy and Lloyd
Legendary - Geno (fan favorite of the Smash community)
Salty - A new Pokémon rep
Best Pick - Scorpion
**** you.
Awesome - Rondoline E. Effenberg
Indifferent - Steve; Crash
Salty - Scorpion (if you want to make me livid, Tingle)
Best Pick - Neku (or Skull Kid, because **** your rule)

monadoboy

Smash Lord

Mine are:

Awesome - Crash
Best Pick - Scorpion
Awesome - 2B
Indifferent - Doomguy and a new Pokemon
legendary - Geraldo Rios (the whole video game/not video game debate would create a lot of chaos with this one)
salty - Waluigi
Best Pick - Travis Touchdown

I.D.

Smash Lord
Pretty much my thinking too, so either unrepresented/underrepresented games from already included franchises (Xenoblade 2, DKC Tropical Freeze, Pokémon SwSh) or completely new franchises (Kingdom Hearts, Tales, Devil May Cry)
I don't think there's such a thing as "underrepresented" in Sakurai's mind. If the game is mentioned in Ultimate in any way, shape, or form then it counts towards the biggest gaming crossoverand he can stop worrying about it.

Last edited:

Slick Guy

Smash Cadet
Awesome: Travis Touchdown - Never played No more Heroes but hopefully number 3 will be my debut into the series.
Indifferent 1: Sora - Not a big fan of the whole Disney meets anime but fans have been requesting him since Brawl.
Indifferent 2: Master Chief - He would bring the Smash house down but he's kind of a meh character to me since I like Doom Guy better.
Legendary: Geno - The only one that fits this category for me. Like Sora, Geno has been requested since Brawl and despite being from one game, he's immensely popular and has a roaring fanbase which would make it a sight to see him get in.
Salty: Dragonborn - I don't like the idea of the Dragonborn being a character. Nothing will make me accept him... except for...
Justifies the whole pass: Sgt. Cortez! - Time to Split!
View attachment 258712

- Time Splitters is supposed to be getting rebooted... I can see it. Him shouting IT'S TIME TO SPLIT could make a fun Final Smash

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

Mine are:

Awesome - Crash
Best Pick - Scorpion
Awesome - Dante
Indifferent - Geno and any JRPG character
Legendary -Kratos/Master Chief (Full-on mascots of rival consoles/companies)
Salty - Bandana Waddle Dee
Best Pick - Doom Slayer

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Seeing some of those Fighter Pass vol 2 edits with actual characters on them makes me feel bad that I have no editing skills.
What programs y'all using?

Mine are:

Awesome - Crash
Best Pick - Scorpion
Awesome - Nightmare, he just looks way cooler to me than the likes of Lloyd and Heihachi. Would still prefer the Prince tho when it comes to Namco
Indifferent - Doomguy and Travis, understandable picks I would have no attachment to
Legendary - Crash, one of the biggest icons not yet in
Salty - Tracer, Overwatch was a fad
Best - Bandana Dee, I would never complain about FE again if I got this little guy

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Awesome: Doomguy - This was probably the hardest one to think of, if I fancy something I'll usually get around to playing their game. He would make my younger brother happy though, so that'd be cool.

Indifferent: Lloyd and Dante

Legendary: Crash

Salty: Sora - Like I said on the day of Byleth, I don't think there's anything that can make me outright pissed at this game. Sora is however the character I least want to see get in, at least as far as realistic choices go, I'd rather have just about any other Square character.

Best Pick: A Hollow Knight character - Doesn't matter if it's The Knight or Hornet, either would be amazing. Would have been Black Knight or Skull Kid if not for the AT rule.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Seems reasonable, and if anyone complains about them all being swords, I'd say it's not like anyone in smash or FE fanbase is exactly pining for Ephraim or whatever.
Is that sarcastic?

And for people who nag about Fire Emblem overrepresentation, here's a question: what is your ideal number of Fire Emblem reps?
That'll depend on the size of the roster, but for Ultimate, there's room for quite a few.
  1. Ike
  2. Hector
  3. Ephraim
  4. Lyn
  5. Lucina
  6. Byleth (with a ton of whipsword moves and no other weapons. this is the selfish pick.)
  7. Marth
If you think that's too many, start removing them from the bottom until it's not.

Tony Scott

Smash Rookie
sells by itself: 2B
Salty: Um, i don’t think i would be salty but i think minecraft steve, and geno are lame characters, though i would be happy for the people who want them. To me dlc is exactly that additional to an already great roster so being salty over a video game dlc character that has given me hundreds of hours of gameplay for 130ish dollars (post buying both passes, gc adapater etc) is silly to me.
Legendary: Master Chief
Indifferent: Kosmos
Indifferent 2: Any tales or xenoblade rep
Never played but awesome: Monster Hunter rep.

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings
Now I got a FP2 game. Make your ultimate middle finger fighters pass, or the one that's made to 100% piss people off. The only rules I have are no 4th parties and no more than 1 character per series, so no 6 Fire Emblem reps.
1. Bubsy
2. Baby Rosalina
3. Big the Cat
4. Professor Oak
5. Toon Zelda

That would be spicy. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Another day passes as I cry knowing Sakurai will never give Ike his sword beams, and everyone thinks he's just an unga bunga kid with a voice raspier than whoever voices Shadow the Hedgehog

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
I'm not gonna lie fellas, the thought of six more characters makes me whiten my tighty whities.

Raziel for Fighter Pass 2 here we go.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Am I the only one who doesn't really care what Papagenos thinks? Like, positive or negative. I mean, isn't that how people always defend Papagenos anyway? He's just a speculator who makes videos? A speculator not liking Byleth's inclusion doesn't seem remarkable to me.
People gotta flex these hate muscles somehow. Most people I've seen bashing on him for that video have also badmouthed him for a while here, so I can't really say I'm surprised.

Either way... even if I disagree with the delivery... it's whatever. Not gonna lose my **** over it.

It's mostly due to him being seen as a face for a particular part of the community.
I wouldnt care if he wasnt a super prominent member of the speculation scene and enabling the National Dexers of the community to keep acting like entitled ****heads. We have enough of that already in Smash
And... that's the issue, really. He, or anyone else, doesn't "represent" the community. It's just one person, for ****'s sake. This entire shtick of "people who have Youtube careers need to act a certain specific way because they are the face of the community" is complete bull.

It's just one person's opinion, dude. Don't like it? Then move along, nothing to see here and no reason to throw hissy fits back.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Am I the only one who doesn't really care what Papagenos thinks? Like, positive or negative. I mean, isn't that how people always defend Papagenos anyway? He's just a speculator who makes videos? A speculator not liking Byleth's inclusion doesn't seem remarkable to me.
I haven't seen his reaction. I probably never will. Unless he got super angwy and threw a temper tantrum, then it would just be hilarious.

I.D.

Smash Lord
People gotta flex these hate muscles somehow. Most people I've seen bashing on him for that video have also badmouthed him for a while here, so I can't really say I'm surprised.

Either way... even if I disagree with the delivery... it's whatever. Not gonna lose my **** over it.

And... that's the issue, really. He, or anyone else, doesn't "represent" the community. It's just one person, for ****'s sake. This entire shtick of "people who have Youtube careers need to act a certain specific way because they are the face of the community" is complete bull.

It's just one person's opinion, dude. Don't like it? Then move along, nothing to see here and no reason to throw hissy fits back.
He makes a convenient scapegoat. By portraying him as a face of the community or whatever you can pretend all backlash against Byleth is the result of some hate campaign promoted by the crazy, unhinged Papagenos despite the fact his videos rarely manage to break even 50K views.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He makes a convenient scapegoat. By portraying him as a face of the community or whatever you can pretend all backlash against Byleth is the result of some hate campaign promoted by the crazy, unhinged Papagenos despite the fact his videos rarely manage to break even 50K views.
Is that supposed to be a good thing for him? :nifty:

SKX31

Smash Master
Now I got a FP2 game. Make your ultimate middle finger fighters pass, or the one that's made to 100% piss people off. The only rules I have are no 4th parties and no more than 1 character per series, so no 6 Fire Emblem reps. Mine is:
1. Alm as another Roy semi clone
2. Cinderace(Love the pokemon but please no for smash)
3. Pink Gold Peach as a unique fighter
4. Tingle
5. Brash the Bear(One of the most rejected characters in Rate Their Chances history)
6. Steve, so the final character can end with flame wars

You want that middle finger to be as big as possible?

Hold onto yo' rears, I'm going nuclear.

1. Jonesy (Fortnite) / Knives Out character: Thing is, Fortnite's a love it or hate it within the more casual sides of video game fandom too. People wouldn't just argue here, but also everywhere about why it's everywhere and the implications it has. Knives Out seems peculiar, and it is. It's a mobile Fortnite that's pretty much big in Japan and nowhere else to boot.

2. Agreeing on Pink Gold Peach.

3. Techies (Dota 2) / Teemo (League of Legends): The fact that both of these come from MOBAs is not enough (EDIT: I'm saying this since I'd really like a MOBA character otherwise): They're characters specifically designed to annoy and enrage people in said MOBAs. Teemo does so via poison traps that slow and constant harrasment. The Techies meanwhile do so via planting invisible mines all over the place - and the opposition has to specifically buy invis detection to counter Techies. Ness doesn't hold a candle compared to these guys.

4. Captain Price (CoD: MW) / (Counter)Terrorist (CS:GO): Not just FPSes known for being a haven for raging 12 year olds. But also real life weaponry to add a massive headache for both Sakurai and Smash fans. Also, who wouldn't love being KOed by a random Sniper Rifle from across the map?

5. Was about to agree with Tingle, but I then I came up with something more sinister. Skull Kid... as a Dr. Mario-esque copy of Robin, but not quite Echo (having only a couple unique attacks). Ain't I a stinker?

6. Tiffi (Candy Crush): Ooooh, do I really need to explain this one? She'd not be controversial on any moveset potential or the character herself. The fact that she's a symbol of mobile gaming would be enough to cause flame wars and people to question Smash's future. People could at least understand Dragalia - but I'm specifically including Candy Crush before Dragalia to cause a meltdown.

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Alright, to get off the Fire Emblem discussion for a bit, I have a question to everyone. We know that the budget for the team has been lowered significantly so as a result the team relies on live presentations, and it's gonna take two years to develop six characters as opposed to the previous fighters pass when it took one year to develop five characters.

My question is this, could the lowered budget have also affected the choices chosen as DLC?
My guess is that first-parties are still on the table and the majority of third-parties will be from devs that are comparatively smaller and/or have a stronger bond with Nintendo than usual.

To me, this lowers the chances for characters like Crash, Sora and Chief but ups the chances for characters like Rayman, Travis and Indies.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I could see people love this more than hate it, honestly.
Yea, I actually struggled with which to open up with. But just as more would love Steve rather than hate him, I still think both would cause a lot of questions if they were packaged together with Pink Gold Peach.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But just as more would love Steve rather than hate him
Yeah, it's within similar stories. Minecraft got hated because unga bunga popular game bad before now being universally loved like it was always good. Fortnite is suffering similar things and will probably get the same relapse in years if it's still running.

I still think both would cause a lot of questions if they were packaged together with Pink Gold Peach.
Not before the Metal Mario boss DLC

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Here's a little oldie from the past. In retrospect it might seem funny, but geez was speculation a madhouse when the ESRB leak dropped.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's a little oldie from the past. In retrospect it might seem funny, but geez was speculation a madhouse when the ESRB leak dropped.

I'll still laugh when I remember mods were so confident that the ESRB leak wasn't real they'd close threads on the spot saying it was fake and shouldn't be mentioned as real.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman

Mine are:

Awesome - Crash
Best Pick - Scorpion
Awesome - Shantae (watched LP. Found her charming) Nero (Watched DMC Lps and he's my favorite after Lady)

Indifferent- Sora. Played all KH thanks to sister's obsession. It's good but not enough to get me hype.

Master Chief. I know of his legacy...plus Halo Reach was awesome...and Halo gave me Red Vs Blue. But still not enough to hype me.

Ryu Hayabusa. It was the first game I had ever watched my mom play so it holds a special place in my heart. However, the whole rumor mill about him in smash has soured me on him getting in.

Geno. Like Hayabusa, the rumor mill soured me on him.

Legendary- Dart Feld or Rose from Legend of the Dragoon. My first ever JRPG and a cult classic. I'd be forever in Sakurai's debt. I just wish it got the Remake love.

Salty- Doomguy. Played the game. Was bored.

I mean, its cool watching someone go fight in hell but I'd rather play the original God of War games, Dante's Inferno or Asura's Wraith. They at least had character that made me root for them. Plus the near worship about this one note guy has soured me on him forever.

Crash. I played those games in their prime and I hated it so much. My brother loves the spazz though. I just don't get the appeal. Same with Spyro.

Don't get me wrong though, for those that want these two, I'd be happy for you guys but **** me, I'd hate it.

Best Pick- 2B. Sakurai has played NA and loved it. Taro likes Sakurai. They seem to have a lot of overlap recently. I'd be stunned if she didn't make it in.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Since a lot of people have been posting their predictions here are mine

The Top image is what I think is going to happen
And the bottom is what I'd like to see personally

wowowow2.png

1. King Boo I think is a safe bet considering Luigi's Mansion 3 came out on October 31st in 2019 and the fighters for the next pass were chosen in November 2019.

2. As much as I don't like Pokemon Sword and Shield Rillaboom seems like an obvious one to me. With a new pass and a new Pokemon region being released while the choosing process came about I'm assuming they're going to add some pokemon from the Galar region. I'm assuming Rillaboom since they've mainly been choosing starters for newer regions and we already have a water type (Greninja) and a fire type (Incineroar)

3. I chose Ryze from League of Legends since Riot Games is owned by Tencent and Nintendo has a good relationship with them as they are helping bringing the Switch to the Chinese market. LoL is now coming to the Switch with the Wild Rift. Riot Games has been recently trying to expand their reach with new games and partnerships. A lot of these said new games and partnerships were announced in late 2019. The same time as the new fighters were being chosen. Ryze was picked specifically out of the over 140 champions due to being one of the original champions and both his popularity and his near mascot status.

4. Geno because even Sakurai said he wanted him back in Brawl and he feels like the next step for a 3rd Square Rep

5. Ravis Touchdown due to the new No More Heroes game coming to Switch and Ubisofts relationship with Nintendo. Though I would much rather have Rayman as a Ubisoft rep.

6. Sora because of how highly requested he is. Disney said they would be happy to let him in and Square is already in Smash. KH3 is having new DLC coming this month

wowowow.png

1. King Boo. When I was younger I didn't think he could work but now I could see him as a unique take on the Tank archetype with intangibility for his shield and hovering for his jumps

2. Crypto's in mainly because of my childhood. But I would've said no before due to the first pass conflicting with the announcement of the Destroy All Humans remaster announcement but now that a 2nd Fighters Pass is coming now he actually has a chance.

3. I've been wanting Sora for as long as I've wanted Shadow the Hedgehog. Since the days of Brawl.

4. Same for Crash. (Though I'm not looking forward to the annoying "harhar Crash in Smash and not PlayStation Allstars" comments. I think I would just delete Twitter for the next month just to avoid it considering no one wants to actually look up the development hell that game went through.

5. Same from Crypto but considering his popularity from the 90's, almost being considered a rival to both Mario and Sonic back then I think he has a way better chance than Crypto.

6. I just like Ahri. Even though if they are going to add a League champion it's most likely going to be one of the originals which Ahri is not. I can't help but to root for my main. (Akali is good too)

Template from @RealMarkProd on Twitter. Give him a follow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom