• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
>Be me
>Play Fire Emblem for the first time in 2003
>Fall in love with FE
>Wish desperately for Lyn to be in Smash
>They add every other FE character except her
>Now everyone is sick of FE
>Lyn will never be in now despite being the most popular girl

View attachment 258300

Lyn is a Fire Emblem rep I would've been fine with. Classic Fire Emblem is completely ignored these days in favor of marketing and it makes me sad. Her, hector, or Black Knight would've been great.

I get that FE = Maturity test, but I really wish people wouldn't lump people making legitimate complaints in with those throwing childish tantrums. Only makes the lopsidedness even worse.

In an unrelated note, I'm a full-on Dragonborn supporter but I'd find it kinda funny if Vault Boy got in as the first post-pass fighter since his Fighter Number would be #76. xP

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm not sure if pointing this out is more harm than good, but I don't know how to feel about this. I've seen tons of mainstream gaming outlets (stuff from IGN and GameSpot to Screenrant and Inside Gaming) cover the Byleth story and most of them are either negative or cover the negativity. I can only assume that Twitter's reacting way poorly to it. So, is this deal bigger than I think it is? Did Corrin get this kind of coverage? Piranha Plant and Incineroar did get some, I remember, but to a much smaller degree.

I dunno, would be weird to see Byleth of all characters go down as the most hated newcomer.
To be honest, I think the reason Corrin didn't have such a big deal made about them was because they were revealed alongside Bayonetta, so you had Bayonetta overshadow some of the hate for Corrin due to people talking about Bayonetta. Meanwhile, Byleth was revealed by themselves, which makes him an easy and noticeable target to pick on and easy for gaming outlets to take advantage of the stigma, especially for being the Final Character of the first Fighter's Pack.
Why would he not be? It's honestly funny watching you guys squirm like you can honestly not comprehend why the 8th FE character would be poorly received.

Look at the bright side, the FE character in the second pass will be even more hated.
Yep..the FE character in the second pass. The FE for FortnitE.

Like....if there's any series that could possibly bring alot more hatred, it's Fortnite. I mean, people still weren't over their hate bone when it won an award at the Game Awards. The only way I could see it not bringing more hatred is if the stigma for Fortnite and it's audience disappears enough before revealed or if it's a Mii Costume.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
In an unrelated note, I'm a full-on Dragonborn supporter but I'd find it kinda funny if Vault Boy got in as the first post-pass fighter since his Fighter Number would be #76. xP
I just can't imagine them doing Fallout given that series' cartoonish approach to nukes.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
After collecting my thoughts after 18 hours, I think I'll divulge my feelings.

I didn't want Byleth or any FE character. I love FE, but it's not the only series I love. I am the kind of person who prefers the love to go around rather than have it focused on a few franchises. This has always been why I'm particularly against anymore Capcom, Konomi and Sega representation since each got their 3rd fighter. Am I underwhelmed with Byleth? Yes. Do I think they're a bad character choice? No. I think the inclusion is a bit more tone deaf, but that's just me. What does irk me the most about this is Rex and Springman getting snubbed for being too recent while a character released just last year made the cut for DLC. That is something I think is somewhat ****ty.

I.D.

Smash Lord
What does irk me the most about this is Rex and Springman getting snubbed for being too recent while a character released just last year made the cut for DLC. That is something I think is somewhat ****ty.
Bro, they got snubbed because Sakurai didn't want them, simple as that.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
And that's another thing. People calling Blythe 'just another goddamn Marth.' You mind telling me when Marth can use a spear, an axe, and a bow throughout their entire moveset?
I believe they're more referring to his visual appearance, and I don't think they're wrong. He has an utterly boring appearance typical of all the other anime-styled characters in Smash. I haven't seen his gameplay yet because I kinda shut off the stream the moment he appeared (lol)

See when people make a complaint like this they're typically the ones pining for wild and diverse characters that are unlike anything else in Smash, like Game and Watch. I'm a proponent of giving Smash really diverse and crazy characters, one of my most-wanted in the game is an actual car, so I'm with them on this just from visuals alone. I don't know how differently he plays yet though.

GuiltyGyarados

At least I know to skip out on the next fighter pass, knowing that we're just going to get six more FE characters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For now, I'm neutral on Byleth. How I view him going forward depends on the contents of the second pass.

We get one or two more characters from newer Nintendo games? I still don't care for him, but at least FE didn't hog all the attention. Byleth is the only first-party from a game younger than 3 years? Huge middle finger to ARMS, Xenoblade, Astral Chain, and Pokemon. There's absolutely no reason for FE to, once again, come out as the sole victor of new first-parties when the reception to Corrin was so bad.

Shroob

Sup?
For now, I'm neutral on Byleth. How I view him going forward depends on the contents of the second pass.

We get one or two more characters from newer Nintendo games? I still don't care for him, but at least FE didn't hog all the attention. Byleth is the only first-party from a game younger than 3 years? Huge middle finger to ARMS, Xenoblade, Astral Chain, and Pokemon. There's absolutely no reason for FE to, once again, come out as the sole victor of new first-parties when the reception to Corrin was so bad.
To play Devil's Advocate

Fates was bad

3 Houses was good.

That's all I'm gonna add to this lol.

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
After the whole day after watching the reveal I'm just tired. At first I was disappointed, then I was annoyed of everyone's insensitivity with all this Hoes Mad meme. But at the end of the day I just want to sleep it off and hopefully see the new character in a new light.

I.D.

Smash Lord
To play Devil's Advocate

Fates was bad

3 Houses was good.

That's all I'm gonna add to this lol.
3 Houses' actual quality or reception is irrelevant because Sakurai decided to include Byleth a year before his game even released.

Shroob

Sup?
3 Houses' actual quality or reception is irrelevant because Sakurai decided to include Byleth a year before his game even released.
Oh, I know.

It's just a happy coincidence that Corrin was doomed from the start, while 3 Houses kinda became a juggernaut.

I.D.

Smash Lord
It's just a happy coincidence that Corrin was doomed from the start, while 3 Houses kinda became a juggernaut.
FATES BAD is just an excuse people use to pretend Corrin was disliked for any reason other than being an unholy cross between a Nintendo shillpick and a Sakurai biaspick.

In reality Fates remains the most successful Fire Emblem title to date.

Shroob

Sup?
FATES BAD is just an excuse people use to pretend Corrin was disliked for any reason other than being an unholy cross between a Nintendo shillpick and a Sakurai biaspick.

In reality Fates remains the most successful Fire Emblem title to date.
I mean, it's successful but it's completely up to preference if you think it's good or not. :drshrug:

I think most Fire Emblem games are kinda **** to begin with, but Fates stunk worse than normal to me. I also found Awakening to be **** so what do I know though.

Lionel_B

Smash Apprentice
The problem with Corrin is that she suffers the consequences. She's a great character in Smash, but since there have already been 2 FE Newcomers in Sm4sh + Roy in DLC, the fanbase considers it the worst choice ever.

If Sakurai had not put Lucina in echo (in favor of Alph from Pikmin 3) and that he had waited for Ultimate before re-introducing Roy, I am sure that we would judge Corrin at its fair value.

For Byleth, I don't care, even if Fire Emblem Three Houses is my GOTY 2019. I think if I hadn't been traumatized by the Direct of 11/01/18, I would have supported Dimitri so that it integrates Smash, but that Byleth remains a good compromise, especially since the gameplay based on different weapons was so logical for Byleth, but it is not a real lancer.

Shroob

Sup?
Fire Emblem's a love/hate with me.

I liked PoR/RD, but the rest of the series has been mixed to meh. REALLY didn't like the DS era games.

Haven't tried 3 Houses but maybe one day I'll give it a spin.

Though, Byleth's fine to me. Unlike a certain Youtuber, I'm actually okay with whoever gets in because I'm already satisfied.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Sakurai decided to include Byleth a year before his game even released.
It seems the creator for FE and Sakurai are close, so it seems basically guaranteed than any new FE game’s main character will become available in Smash.

Guaranteed spot pretty much.

Deciding to include the character before the game even came out says it all really.

Seems like a business partnership that’s going to keep on continuing because both sides are happy.

FE reps will keep on coming.

What’s interesting is some people genuinely don’t acknowledge or even see the bias here lol.

Last edited:

GuiltyGyarados

I consider Byleth's inclusion to be on a level of aggressive advertising that I'm now going to start actively avoiding the franchise.

Watching salty reaction videos has been pretty cathartic for me. PapaGeno's in particular is great, I highly recommend it (if you're a hater).

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
One thing that bothers me is Sakurai’s quote on Twitter spammers during the presentation and how the character selections were finalized again.

Does that really mean he only listens to the Twitter side of the Smash community’s requests? Cause that thought scares me, Twitter doesn’t make up the entire fanbase and he’d reading a bunch of replies like “LOL PUT GOKU IN” or “JONESY TIME BOYS” and that kind of meme crap is basically the main reason we hardly get a say in the roster, they just see us as children begging for candy.

Sarcasm isn’t big in Japan, he doesn’t understand our modern Western humor so he will obviously take all of those stupid requests seriously and it’s why he constantly repeats on Goku and Iron Man not getting in.

If he or Nintendo don’t take notes of other sites like Smashboards here or such, they’d be ignoring the more devoted hardcore side of the fandom who’ve been requesting their characters for nearly two decades.
It was just an example.
It's not meant to be taken 100% literally.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I just noticed, as expected, Lesley dropped kosmos like a rock as soon as she got a female character that tickled her fancy :laugh:
Hope her "fellows" enjoyed having this screeching banshee running around turning public opinion against their favorite character. With friends like these...

Shroob

Sup?
I consider Byleth's inclusion to be on a level of aggressive advertising that I'm now going to start actively avoiding the franchise.

Watching salty reaction videos has been pretty cathartic for me. PapaGeno's in particular is great, I highly recommend it (if you're a hater).
I can think of a lot better thing to do with my time than watch a man channel Twitter and Reddit for 40 mins, thanks.

I'm not even a Byleth supporter and that's just an embarrassing video.

GuiltyGyarados

That seems unfair but okay?
How? You've never had something advertised so aggressively to you that you wanted to avoid it like the plague? That's an unfair reaction to you?

I'm not even a Byleth supporter and that's just an embarrassing video.
It was awesome. Every moment of it was so raw and entertaining, and encapsulated exactly how I felt about the whole ordeal.

It's a side of him I hope we don't have to see often, because I like it better when he's happy and chill, but it was still very cathartic to see him let loose on this BS.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
How? You've never had something advertised so aggressively to you that you wanted to avoid it like the plague? That's an unfair reaction to you?

It was awesome.
It's only awesome if you're upset lol.

Otherwise it's a grown ass man ranting for 40 mins about how he's not upset, only to be incredibly upset.

There's a reason people outside this community think we're a bunch of manchildren, and they're right.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord

It was awesome.
How is this advertised aggressively?
It was mentioned once and people were still expecting some FE3H DLC.

It's not like FE3H is in the news all the time.
I think Pokémon is a much bigger culprit here and even that isn't advertised aggressively.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
No! I mean....just take it easy. Just one character....with more dlc characters on the way..

GuiltyGyarados

How is this advertised aggressively?
It was mentioned once and people were still expecting some FE3H DLC.
...I don't know what you think I'm talking about, but I'm referring to the eight FE characters in the roster, over half of which are only in the game specifically to shill for the series, and not because they enrich the game or celebrate anything worthwhile in gaming history or whatever.

I think Pokémon is a much bigger culprit here and even that isn't advertised aggressively.
Pokémon gets a pass for me on the basis that it's the biggest media franchise in the world, so it makes sense for it to have so many reps.

At least they all have completely different designs on top of their completely different playstyles (with the exception of Pikachu and Pichu), whereas FE dudes just have variations on the "large disjointed hitboxes" playstyle, on top of having really generic designs and lots of blue hair + slender body types + stoic, anime-esque facial expressions.

Utterly tiresome.

No! I mean....just take it easy. Just one character....with more dlc characters on the way..
Yeah yeah, sure. I get it.

Sorry, I just like to vent. Maybe I'm getting a bit too negative here, but that's just how I feel about it. I've said my piece, I can move on.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'll say my take on Byleth.

Yeah, I'm upset that I didn't get the character I wanted. I wasn't surprised about it though since I thought it made sense to capitalize on 3 Houses. But right now I'm over it and actually finding some enjoyment out of it. I had a few laughs in the presentation, got to watch some funny reaction videos and Byleth does seem fun to play. I'm looking forward to trying out all of their cool moves (especially that up-b, can't wait for some salty plays.) Sucks that Byleth is getting hate but there's nothing that can be done about it right now. Overall, I ready to try Byleth when they come out.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
But yeah Papagenos' video was.... Something else... And not in a good way. Lol.

A lot of people who weren't excited for this character like Maximillion or Introspektive had very "Eh" reactions but basically ended it with "I'm not excited, but happy for their fans, and their gameplay seems neat."

Papa was...... Reddit... in human shape.

Lol

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Also, dunno why y'all thought we get one of the three characters without the other two. Seems unfair to them and their fans anyway.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
...I don't know what you think I'm talking about, but I'm referring to the eight FE characters in the roster, over half of which are only in the game specifically to shill for the series, and not because they enrich the game or celebrate anything worthwhile in gaming history or whatever.
I think it's worth having a FE3H character because it is the franchise's most succesful game to date.
"Gaming history" isn't only expanded to the past but gaming history also includes the "modern" time of gaming up until today. Heck, where's Joker enrichment of the gaming history, or a blank slate like Hero who is only relevant for one game in the DQ series?
I think the DLC found a solid way of combining old chars (Banjo, Terry, some Hero incarnations) with the new chars (Joker, Byleth) and that's good. Gaming isn't just nostalgia and I can see that FE3H is a huge step for the Fire Emblem franchise. If Byleth was the right choice: Maybe not, I think Dimitri/Edelgard/Claude are better chars but then you would have shown house bias as a dev and that's not that great since the FE community would rant as well: "Why was Edelgard chosen over Claude?"

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Rank the DLC

Joker = 10/10. I adore Joker and played P3-P5 and will be playing P5R and P5S when they come out so when he came out, I was super hype seeing Him with that envelope. He plays fun.

Hero = 10/10. DQ 8 was my first Dragon quest and while i havent played 11 yet at the time, i loved DQ 8 so seeing them appear as a new hero was sweet and it's so cool to see RNG in smash.

Banjo = 5/10 initially to 7/10. Never liked Banjo or his game. Was bigger into LoZ 64 (and Majoras mask) DK64, mario 64 and Megaman 64 and even then, I didn't like it. I was stoked for people who loved him and he does play great.

Terry Bogard = 10/10. I played Fatal Fury 2 when I was a kid, along with Mortal Kombat, Samurai Shodown and street fighter. Those games shaped my love of fighting games but out of my favorites of Ken/Chun-Li, Galford and Poppy/Ukyo/Charlotte, johnny cage/Kitana/Kung Lao/Scorpion, Terry and Joe reigned as my favorite fighters of all time. Especially after the Fatal Fury 2 OVA. Seeing Terry in Smash was my Banjo wish.

Byleth = 9/10. When I first played Fire Emblem Three Houses, I knew the game had beaten P5 was my favorite JRPG. Having all these complex stories on 4 (soon to be 5) storylines were beautiful to me. I also knew that either Byleth or Edelgard would be in smash and while I wanted 2B in this spot, still getting my second pick with all the weapons made me happy.

I didn't buy the pass but I will be buying the second pass because this one was ****ing solid for me.

Pass grade = A rank

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I just randomly remembered the Link Ancient Armor Mii Costume that's exclusive to Fighter's Pass Volume 2.
Why the **** don't we get CHARACTER costumes?! Had this been a new alt for Link, this would have been exciting!
C'mon Nintendo, my obsessive ass would buy every single costume! Detective Pikachu, Masked Lucina, Bearded Ryu, Garou Terry, All 50ish Mario Odyssey costumes (Yes, I ****ing would. I probably have spent $10,000 in my lifetime just on Mario stuff. I LOOOOOVE Mario.), all the Breath of the Wild Armors (especially the Amiibo Link costumes), Super Metroid Samus, Dark Suit Samus, Light Suit Samus, Gravity Suit Samus, Fusion Suit Samus, Wedding Bowser, Dr. Bowser, Shadow Mewtwo, Melee Fox, etc, etc, etc.

Did I just invite Nintendo to put me into bankruptcy?

Last edited:

GuiltyGyarados

Otherwise it's a grown ass man ranting for 40 mins about how he's not upset, only to be incredibly upset.
He never said that he wasn't upset. He was saying that he shouldn't be upset, but that he just was, because it's hard not to be.

A lot of people who weren't excited for this character like Maximillion or Introspektive had very "Eh" reactions but basically ended it with "I'm not excited, but happy for their fans, and their gameplay seems neat."
I can't possibly be happy for a fanbase that gets catered to constantly while other fanbases continue to get thrown under the bus.

This would be less offensive if they would just tell us which characters we're getting from the start, but they have to make it a whole thing and stretch it out over the course of a year because of business reasons. It's no wonder people get upset, because people don't like paying for stuff that they don't want, and that they have to wait a very long time for.

I just think your outlook is extremely uncharitable and inconsiderate.

Shroob

Sup?
He never said that he wasn't upset. He was saying that he shouldn't be upset, but that he just was, because it's hard not to be.

I can't possibly be happy for a fanbase that gets catered to constantly while other fanbases continue to get thrown under the bus.

This would be less offensive if they would just tell us which characters we're getting from the start, but they have to make it a whole thing and stretch it out over the course of a year because of business reasons. It's no wonder people get upset, because people don't like paying for stuff that they don't want, and that they have to wait a very long time for.

I just think your outlook is extremely uncharitable and inconsiderate.
You've been told three now to only buy the Fighter's Pass if you're 100% confident in what it will entail.

If a single character from a series you're tired of make or breaks it then, don't blame me, you were specifically told, you bought the mystery box lmao.

And don't 'even' try to flip this around and make me the bad guy lmao. This fanbase is a bunch of crybabies.

"I'll never ask for anything again if you get me X"

*Gets it*

*Something they don't like*

"WHAT THE **** THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER THIS IS ALL RUINED NOW"

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
>Be me
>Play Fire Emblem for the first time in 2003
>Fall in love with FE
>Wish desperately for Lyn to be in Smash
>They add every other FE character except her
>Now everyone is sick of FE
>Lyn will never be in now despite being the most popular girl

View attachment 258300
I think it’d be nice if in the next Smash, where cuts are going to be inevitable and FE is likely to be one of the franchises to suffer, that they take the opportunity to include some of FE’s all stars, instead of only focusing on its marketability. FE is extremely fortunate with its treatment in Smash, but it also comes at the price of not having some of its most iconic characters in, the way it’s handled means that the actual candidates from it are far more limited than with most other franchises, and that’s a shame. It’s unlikely to happen, but it’s a bit silly that it’s missing a character as prominent as Lyn.

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
For the people saying this is aggressive marketing: lol.

Not even going to try to change your mind, cause yall already decided what you selectively want to believe in. It's just kinda stupid

I haven't even played Fire Emblem and am excited for the character.

I do agree however that PapaGenos video was cathartic. I am very happy for all of those dumbass theories blowing up on his face.

Maybe he will stop with this madness and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom