• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can buy that there was a re-ordering of characters. It's not like work done on them gets scrapped, just put on hold while priority shifts to a character that will get released sooner.
That's my thought too. I think when more characters were added, things got a bit shuffled. Which may be another reason why Leakers have been so bamboozled.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Nope, neither of them deconfirmed a first-party character.
Can't wait to see all the "Vergeben and Sabi are FAKE!!!!!!!" people to come up with new excuses or walk back on their statements now.
Sabi basically said the character could be relevant without Nintendo even being mentioned when talking about Zippo.

And I'd still rather not listen to his narcissism.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I still can’t believe people thought KOS-MOS would get in over Lloyd or Heihachi for FP5.

If Geno, one of the most requested characters in Smash history, got shafted in favor of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, why would it be any different for KOS-MOS?
Imagine still hating on KOS-MOS when the fighter pass is over. Some things never change for you do they, Ouma? You've been crapping all over KOS-MOS in this thread and gamefaqs, etc.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I still can’t believe people thought KOS-MOS would get in over Lloyd or Heihachi for FP5.

If Geno, one of the most requested characters in Smash history, got shafted in favor of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, why would it be any different for KOS-MOS?
To be fair, Geno didn't really get shafted lol. Both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quests are behemoths of franchises with enough longetivity to speak for themselves.

I'm over this idea that one character thwarts another's chances.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I buy it too. Ryu from Ninja Gaiden completes the theme of FP1 being all guest characters. However, we won't know for certain until way later this year.
Well, we still probably wouldn't know for certain. Even if Ryu shows up, it doesn't necessarily mean that leak is real.

That being said, I absolutely think two of the last six are 2B and one of Phoenix or Dante.
What're your thoughts on 2B?

And Phoenix and Dante? But neither of those two are a very good girl yes you are

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
As much as I wanted Sora for Ultimate, I am happy for Byleth fans. Sakurai was super creative with how they work & we finally have our first spear-user in Smash Congrats to the Three Houses fans for Bayleths inclusion. Who knows maybe Sora will join them soon.

As for the future DLC Fighters, here are some of my hopes:

Of the 6, if we got these 5, id be super content.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, is Geno up **** creek or what?
There's 6 more chances for him, but to be honest, the answer is probably "Yes, he's screwed"

They couldn't really settle on a moveset they wanted for him when they attempted him before (and went with a Mii costume instead) and since the fanbase for him is 20% meme, 30% people who actually played the game, and 50% people who would just be 'ok' with it or think he'd be 'alright', it's probably just not worth the effort in their eyes. That would be my take on it, anyway.

In reality, his best bet is the fact that his Mii costume hasn't returned yet. That kind of leaves 3 scenarios:

1) The outcry for him is not as large as his fanbase seems to think and Nintendo doesn't even think giving the Mii costume back is worth it
2) One of the last 6 fighters is Geno, so its pointless to return the costume (can't explain why we've still got the K Rool costume though)
3) One of the last 6 fighters is an RPG character and Geno's Mii costume will return in that batch of Mii Costume releases; possibly as a high-quality Mii costume like Cuphead or Sans

Last edited by a moderator:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
while is true that when the direct was recorded it was during november, still sakurai said that there wouldnt be more reveals for a while, personally not holding my breath for a reveal in a couple of months

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
My personal opinion on the remaining mii costumes is that they'll all return in this second season. But as far as character conversions go, I believe only Geno and Heihachi will receive that treatment. I should say Lloyd as well, but Heihachi honestly made more sense being released alongside all the other fighting game costumes and I don't see both characters popping up together in season 2.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
No. Zippo said all that.
Sabi just tried to piggyback and failed miserably.
Yeah, Sabi piggybacked, and worded it differently when explaining it to someone who was confused, but kept basically the same meaning.

Then I guess Zippo asked something like "Does Fire Emblem count as fully Nintendo?" on ResetEra, Sabi playfully called him sly on Twitter, and is continuing to be full of himself and go on and on about people not believing him as if it gave him credibility.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Fun fact btw
View attachment 258111
3/5 of these ****os are from JRPGs. I don't want to hear anyone try to argue about MUH GENRE REPS about Pass 2 when it inevitably doesn't balance the genre reps due to that not being important
Pass 2:
Crono
Lloyd
Sora
2B
Fire Emblem
edit: oh yeah there's six. Hmm. Well, obviously Sirfetch'd then.

Six JRPG swordies. Just to watch the world burn.
Though actually most people would probably dig that pass.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
regarding 2B... let's say that Sakurai met with nier automata developers during a particular critical timeframe when season pass 2 was being decided... i knew that she wasn't fp5... but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if she ends somewhere in season pass 2.

BTW, what do you guys thinkregarding post season pass 2 DLC? while certainly it can always change, i got the feeling that sakurai tried to imply that there wouldn't be more developmnet post pass 2.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Out of the 7 DLC characters for Smash 4, only :4ryu::4bayonetta: weren't from JRPGs.
At the same time 3 of Smash 4's DLC characters were veterans and considering people pointed that out to say first party DLC didn't count as first party DLC back in Smash 4 due to it being veterans I feel the argument should count here too. Then again I'm probably being pedantic as ****

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Imagine still hating on KOS-MOS when the fighter pass is over. Some things never change for you do they, Ouma? You've been crapping all over KOS-MOS in this thread and gamefaqs, etc.
Cute, but you didn’t actually respond to anything that I said.

Put your bias aside for a second and answer me this question, is there any reason for Xenosaga to get in before Tales, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dark Souls, ect?

Its perfectly fine to want characters while acknowledging that they may or may not happen, but I would genuinely like an answer to this.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Pass 2:
Crono
Lloyd
Sora
2B
Fire Emblem

tbh I wouldn't mind this pass being like that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Pass 2:
Crono
Lloyd
Sora
2B
Fire Emblem

C'mon, doing an all RPG Pass and no Isaac?

tenor (2).gif

D

Deleted member

Pass 2:
Crono
Lloyd
Sora
2B
Fire Emblem

I'd be ok with it simply for getting Crono lol

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There was a point in time when people didn't think we'd get a single Nintendo character. That was basically this entire thread when Astral Chain got Spirits.

I fail to see how one Nintendo character is worse than none.
Yeah, but Nintendo has systematically nuked their best options for recent stuff. Link's Awakening, Pokemon Sword/Shield, and Astral Chain got Spirited Away. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and ARMS got straight up denied for Smash fighters. King Boo is a Spirit and probably doesn't hold enough weight to make it at this point despite the success of Luigi's Mansion. Animal Crossing probably isn't getting anything new after Isabelle to be honest since she was already a semi-clone. Dixie Kong just seems like she's in a bit of a rough spot since semi-clone really doesn't fit what Sakurai keeps emphasizing about the "Unique characteristics of new fighters."

We're basically left with Ring Fit Adventurer, Captain Toad, and maybe Bandanna Dee pulling from Star Allies of characters hat have been notable on Switch or in recent years generally. I guess we could maybe get the surprise like Metroid or DK rep from an upcoming game, but after base game I also wouldn't count on it.

It's just Byleth emphasizes a lot of stuff that hurts first parties, as does the fact it also clarifies XC2 and ARMS just didn't grab Sakurai's attention enough either.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
Lookin back, I can’t get over the fact how many people here said “Well, even though whoever FP5 will most likely be not for me, there are still more characters, and I got my Banjo and ________, so I can’t complain! Thank you so much for your hard work Mr. Sakuria! It’s been a journey, etc.”

To

Well you know...
As one of the people who said something like this, there is a difference between thinking the roster is good regardless of who they put in post a certain character, and thinking that every single character choice they make is a great choice. I think the roster is fine, there is no one else I really desperately want since we got Banjo & Kazooie however I still think that adding in yet another rep to a series that already has so many is not a very good choice. I'm sorry, but FE doesn't need a new rep every time a new game comes out. I would also say the same for Pokemon and Mario; they really don't need more reps either honestly.

D

Deleted member

People are commenting on how many of the characters from DLC (both this game and Smash 4) have been from RPG series compared to others like its some sort of surprise. Japan is where RPGs originated; its the mother of all RPGs; why wouldn't the most popular genre in that country get the lion's share of representation?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
For Xenoblade they can still draw from Torna.
Lora and Jin would be hype although Torna's battle system would be tough to replicate in Smash.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Cute, but you didn’t actually respond to anything that I said.

Put your bias aside for a second and answer me this question, is there any reason for Xenosaga to get in before Tales, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dark Souls, ect?

Its perfectly fine to want characters while acknowledging that they may or may not happen, but I would genuinely like an answer to this.
Ouma, you've been baiting vergeben to disconfirm KOS-MOS on gamefaqs so many times throughout the last month. You have a unhealthy hate obsession with her and i'd get help if I were you. Many people have moved on and accepted that their third parties have the same chances as the rest. Byleth was truly an underwhelming reveal. I'm not starting **** with you. Hell, I have you on ignore on gamefaqs for a reason and I know about your crusade to hate KOS-MOS and all the fake burner account grotesque floyd alts you made.

I'm just saying you should stop. Many have told you to stop in fact. I haven't been here for a month and a half and found your bs in dm's.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Even with Byleth getting, I still think the rest of the DLC is third party. I also think the only existing franchises that have a chance of getting another character are Final Fantasy and Mario. And with Mario, Geno would make sense since his game has enough unique characters to fill a spirit board. Can’t say the same for other Mario character.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Since Koei Tecmo helped develop Three Houses and Warriors and we already got Fatal Frame content in; I really hope they put in Hayabusa as a rep for them. Sakurai is a hardcore gamer so I trust his decisions and I love the FP selections he made, but if Hayabusa isn't apart of the next 6 DLC fighters then it is what it is.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
There were the IAmShifty and Brew leaks as well, the former was especially notable since he had a previous track record. I’m not sure those leaks gained enough traction for the Smash team to switch their whole schedule around, but given how determined it seems that they’ve been to keep Byleth a secret, who knows.
By that time Sabi's source already knew of Terry and Byleth. That also gives Sakurai only 2 months to expedite Byleth development to be in time for the filming of the presentation.

I can buy FP5 being switched, but not under the logic that it was because of a leak.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah, but Nintendo has systematically nuked their best options for recent stuff. Link's Awakening, Pokemon Sword/Shield, and Astral Chain got Spirited Away. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and ARMS got straight up denied for Smash fighters. King Boo is a Spirit and probably doesn't hold enough weight to make it at this point despite the success of Luigi's Mansion. Animal Crossing probably isn't getting anything new after Isabelle to be honest since she was already a semi-clone. Dixie Kong just seems like she's in a bit of a rough spot since semi-clone really doesn't fit what Sakurai keeps emphasizing about the "Unique characteristics of new fighters."

We're basically left with Ring Fit Adventurer, Captain Toad, and maybe Bandanna Dee pulling from Star Allies of characters hat have been notable on Switch or in recent years generally. I guess we could maybe get the surprise like Metroid or DK rep from an upcoming game, but after base game I also wouldn't count on it.

It's just Byleth emphasizes a lot of stuff that hurts first parties, as does the fact it also clarifies XC2 and ARMS just didn't grab Sakurai's attention enough either.
Ring Fit Adventurer is likely when it's only existed for one post-Ultimate game but not some existing franchise that had a new installment in the past five years?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Even with Byleth getting, I still think the rest of the DLC is third party. I also think the only existing franchises that have a chance of getting another character are Final Fantasy and Mario. And with Mario, Geno would make sense since his game has enough unique characters to fill a spirit board. Can’t say the same for other Mario character.
I don't think final fantasy is ever getting another character. Purely because I doubt anyone at Nintendo wants to jump through the legal minefield just to get some more content.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If those end up being the six we get I will profusely apologize and then commit sudoku.
This better not conflict with your prediction in the Isaac thread.

The only common factor is Fire Emblem, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom