• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
To bask away from this drama, let us assume that all future fighters have to be from completely new companies, adding a new copyright. Let’s say you can add... 5 (FP5 + 4 more)
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
1. Crash (Activision)
2. Ashe (Riot)
3. Madeline (Matt Makes Games)
4. Hollow Knight (Team Cherry)
5. Sora (Disney (idk if this is cheating lol))

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
OK quick poll: what do people think the likelihood of the FP5 being from Nintendo themselves? I feel like that kind of curveball could happen at this point.
I don't think it's likely. If it was Nintendo, I feel like we might've known something by now. But that's just what I think. We'll probably see more Nintendo after the pass though.

I'm still placing my bets for FP#5 on Bamco. Hoping for KOS-MOS personally, but characters like Heihachi, Nightmare, Alisa (God Eater, not Tekken), or Reiji & Xiaomu would be cool too.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
This sounds just like the “Terry with a hat” garbage.
I was asking an actual question, dude. Jesus.

I've never played Xenosaga but I know enough of the character from her appearances in super robot wars and X zone to know that it's probably moveset potential.

She can summon cannons, lazer swords and other weapons to fight and she jumps around a lot, I'm imagining it being something like Zero suit Samus combined with Megaman.
Thanks. I’m not personally sold on her, but that sounds like she could be fun. I wouldn’t be excited when she’s revealed, but hopefully she’d turn out nicely.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To bask away from this drama, let us assume that all future fighters have to be from completely new companies, adding a new copyright. Let’s say you can add... 5 (FP5 + 4 more)
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
1. Reimu
2. Doomguy
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Glover
5. Gooball from World of Goo

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
This is kinda hard, but let's give it a try. Ignoring the deconfirmations, in order of most wanted to less wanted:

1. Gordon Freeman (Valve)
2. Scorpion (Netherealm Studios)
3. Abe (Oddworld Inhabitants)
4. Earthworm Jim (Interplay)
5. Ezio (Ubisoft)

So basically, 3 out of 5 were deconfirmed already. :(
And yes, i'm full of japanese video game characters.

Last edited:

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
1- Gordon Freeman (Valve)
2- Scorpion (Netherrealm Studios)
3- Ezio (Ubisoft)
4 - Earthworm Jim (Interplay)
5 - Doom Guy (Bethesda)

BlackInk

Smash Lord
That's like saying that Joker and Hero are the same because both are from an RPG game, Terry and Heihachi are completely different from each other
Hero has sword and Magic, Joker has a knife, persona, a gun, sneaking, and style. Heihaichi and Terry are close-combat characters who kick and punch their opponents. Terry has a projectile and a lot of flashiness. Heihaichi’s combat is less flashy, more raw, and centered on juggling instead of combos. To an audience, Heihaichi is pointless and boring in comparison to the previous fighter.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
1. Doom Slayer (Bethesda)
2. Sora (Disney)
3. Crash (Activision)
4. Ryu Hayabusa (Koei Tecmo)
5. Chell (Valve)

Went with Chell because I wanted a woman & I think she could have a super unique moveset.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I decided to make a Twitter thread on Sakura and why I think she has a good shot at Smash.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I was asking an actual question, dude. Jesus.

Thanks. I’m not personally sold on her, but that sounds like she could be fun. I wouldn’t be excited when she’s revealed, but hopefully she’d turn out nicely.
Sorry, it’s just the reactions to the Terry reveal still pisses me off.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I decided to make a Twitter thread on Sakura and why I think she has a good shot at Smash.
yeah sorry uh

can you tell me the game

is it sakura wars

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Guys, Heihachi is a Namco character, Blackink shills a different Namco character, we've been over this
I’m not really shilling for Kos-mos, they just make the most sense. Heihachi is someone I will definitely prefer over her and other Namco characters. I wish I had some signs that point to Heihachi.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace

Neat thread, thanks. Sega would obviously benefit from the new game being promoted, but I'm not seeing how it would benefit Nintendo specifically. It seems possible but no more possible than any other character with games coming in the future.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

She does make sense that series was super big when it first popped on the scene I wouldn't be surprised if she made it

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I completely understand the sentiment on how unique fighting game characters can be, but I think people are looking for something a bit more than carrying over a command list and playstyle from their original game. Fighting game characters are probably the easiest to transition into Smash, but are extremely straightforward, and basically you know exactly what to expect from them. I stand by the fact that there are tons of more interesting characters that can be selected, especially characters from completely new genres.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
1. Nathan Drake - Sony
2. Big Daddy - Take Two Interactive
3. Teemo - Tencent
4. Crash - Activision
5. John Marston - Rockstar

EDIT - Thought Ubisoft was already in there but I guess not and forgot one more so I'll toss HMs to Ezio and Gordon Freeman.

Not sure if I did this right or not but oh well
Who's Mappy?
Just a character from a game I was somewhat addicted to as a kid when I owned a Bandi-Namco device thing that I can't remember the name of. Loved lot of games on that system. Also referenced in Pac-Mans up B with the trampoline

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I completely understand the sentiment on how unique fighting game characters can be, but I think people are looking for something a bit more than carrying over a command list and playstyle from their original game. Fighting game characters are probably the easiest to transition into Smash, but are extremely straightforward, and basically you know exactly what to expect from them. I stand by the fact that there are tons of more interesting characters that can be selected, especially characters from completely new genres.
You're still taking a character from a fighting game that plays a certain way and transitioning them to another fighting game that plays completely differently. Ryu, Ken, and Terry making the jump to Smash Bros. isn't any less interesting than Akuma and Geese Howard, characters from 2D fighting games, making the jump to Tekken 7, a 3D fighting game.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Plus, casuals are not exactly the brightest people. Fighting game characters are cool, but they are not really distinct unless it’s a skull girls situation, when the combat is very ungrounded. They are distinct in very subtle, but important, ways and those ways are not noticeable for a casual audience.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Plus, casuals are not exactly the brightest people. Fighting game characters are cool, but they are not really distinct unless it’s a skull girls situation, when the combat is very ungrounded. They are distinct in very subtle, but important, ways and those ways are not noticeable for a casual audience.

Thankfully I'm a hardcore Smash player, so I can interpret the subtle details that give away how these two are not, in fact, the exact same character.

I still have trouble between Ryu and Ken, but it's not like I'm ZeRo, so cut me some slack.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Here’s my list:
1.Hollow KNIGHT! Hollow knight! HOLLOW KNIGHT!
2. Nightmare or Heihachi/his son/Jin
3.Sans
4.Someone with extreme hype, maybe Sora.
5.Shantee

Plank08

Smash Lord
forget it. I didn’t know the topic changed and I don’t want to bring it back

Anyway.. I’m gonna change the topic with a game from your host plank..I hate curiousity
If you guys could upgrade one franchise featured in smash into fighters, but another franchise would get demoted, what would you do?

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Anyway.. I’m gonna change the topic with a game from your host plank..I hate curiousity
If you guys could upgrade one franchise featured in smash into fighters, but another franchise would get demoted, what would you do?
Make Skull Kid playable. Drop Bayonetta.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Off the top of my head... Shantae. I'd drop Little Mac for free, I don't even need anything added.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
You're still taking a character from a fighting game that plays a certain way and transitioning them to another fighting game that plays completely differently. Ryu, Ken, and Terry making the jump to Smash Bros. isn't any less interesting than Akuma and Geese Howard, characters from 2D fighting games, making the jump to Tekken 7, a 3D fighting game.
Except that platform fighters like Smash bros works completely differently from fighting games, so the nuanced character quirks are never going to translate as well as from when you go from a 2D to 3D fighter. In Smash, there's a lot more freedom of movement, and aerial mobility is a huge factor. It's is an environment that fighting game characters simply can't take advantage of because their design was originally made for tight 1v1 gameplay. Compare this to say, platformer characters, who were designed by how they move and jump around in a free environment. I'm not saying that a new fighting game character can't be unique, it's just that other genres can offer a lot more to Smash that wouldn't even be possible in traditional fighters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is a stupid game because talking about what characters you don't like and want to get rid of is so goddamn boring, at least make it interesting by saying "You get 1 character of your choice but your main gets cut!" or something so some actual thought gets put behind it

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So I'm not very familiar with tripcodes but someone with a tripcode on 4chan is claiming KOS-MOS is next and she's Cero A friendly using her XB2 design as a base. Reveal at game awards apparently.

doesn't a tripcode mean they can be identified?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
So I'm not very familiar with tripcodes but someone with a tripcode on 4chan is claiming KOS-MOS is next and she's Cero A friendly using her XB2 design as a base. Reveal at game awards apparently.

It’s supposed to work like that.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

If they post again with the same Tripcode, yes. But having a tripcode isn't something that makes one credible. The Tower of Smash Leaker used a tripcode, for example.

Plank08

Smash Lord
This is a stupid game because talking about what characters you don't like and want to get rid of is so goddamn boring, at least make it interesting by saying "You get 1 character of your choice but your main gets cut!" or something so some actual thought gets put behind it
Look this is the best thing I could come up with on such short notice, I just didn’t want to think about that anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom