• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly, I'm kinda surprised the Mai issue blew up as big as it did. It wasn't like Sakurai was planning on making her playable; at most, we would've gotten a spirit JPEG or a background character cameo. Not really that big a deal, IMHO.

D

Deleted member

The closest thing we have to Kosmos in smash right now is Megaman, since they both rely on projectiles, but Kosmos also has a laser sword so thats different enough right?
Wrong. That makes her an anime swordfighter and this essay I will prove why-

Doomguy showed up because he heard about the possibility of Dante being invited and everyone is too scared to ask him to leave
When Phoenix fans are so pissed that they pick Doomslayer against Dante.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, it seems like they know what’s going on with speculation considering they never had the Terry ad up in 7/11
On the other hand, I find it a little hard to believe that foregoing marketing is worth it for Nintendo just so they don't tip their hand that a character is imminent. I mean it's a much bigger drawback business-wise to yank ads than provide some rough estimate that a tiny part of the audience pays attention to. It's not like they've shifted the amiibo release to no longer be in proximity to a character launch.

I think they probably just opted to not have an ad this time, like with Joker. Or it'll show up later.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
On the other hand, I find it a little hard to believe that foregoing marketing is worth it for Nintendo just so they don't tip their hand that a character is imminent. I mean it's a much bigger drawback business-wise to yank ads than provide some rough estimate that a tiny part of the audience pays attention to. It's not like they've shifted the amiibo release to no longer be in proximity to a character launch.

I think they probably just opted to not have an ad this time, like with Joker. Or it'll show up later.
Most people assume that Nintendo is playing 4D chess when it's far more likely they only have the time to juggle several hundred games of tic tac toe. I guarantee you that they don't put that much thought and effort into these decisions in the grand scheme of things.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Honestly, I'm kinda surprised the Mai issue blew up as big as it did. It wasn't like Sakurai was planning on making her playable; at most, we would've gotten a spirit JPEG or a background character cameo. Not really that big a deal, IMHO.
What can you say? Sakurai's words are gospel.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And Mai Shiranui is not naked
Partial nudity and being entirely naked are still two different things in this scenario.

I would assume that while CERO is fine with any bazingas that don't show a single aerola, keeping it at its equivalent of E Rated would be impossible. Now if we went back to Brawl and Melee when it was rated T, then we can talk.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't see what people stand to gain from going on about Mai; even if you all came to a consensus, they still wouldn't add her. When it comes to making a character playable, they'd probably go the extra mile - like giving 2B or KOS-MOS (or some other character susceptible to panty shots) very short shorts under their skirts/dresses. A background character like Mai probably wasn't worth the effort.

I understand why a game rated "all ages" would take issue with her appearance, especially in a country seemingly fraught with weird upskirt perviness. I think there are some weird hangups people have involving human bodies, but that's another issue. What I find more surprising is Smash is rated "all ages (A)" in Japan, not even their E10/PEGI 12 equivalent.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Well I mean true

but also, she’s more aesthetically different from Hero and Joker than Lloyd would be
i don't see why we can't have both they'd both be awesome plus smash 4 had plenty of rpg reps as dlc
we got :ultcorrin::ultcorrinf::ultroy::ultmewtwo::ultlucas:so to reps aren't a problem

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think part of it is people taking the English translation a little too literal. I mean, "Smash is for good boys and girls." is a funny line, just for how straightforward it was. But some are taking it a bit too literal rather than a jab at the rating system. And it doesn't help that some are taking it as Sakurai being the reason rather than CERO being stubborn.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Question: was Brawl rated CERO A or CERO B? there's a bit of blood in one Subspace Emissary scene which apparently got Brawl rated ESRB T

funny enough it's 3+ in EU? it's also rated PG in Australia due to "mild gambling references"

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
About this "too sexy/lewd"-discussion:

I think the overall design of the character matters too (at least a little bit). Mai is pretty much a realistic looking woman. Someone like Shantae however has more of a "cartoon"(=less realistic) design especially in her recent games like Seven Sirens + we already have Krystal in her Star Fox Adventures-Outfit.

I think there is a difference in this, at least a little bit.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I think part of it is people taking the English translation a little too literal. I mean, "Smash is for good boys and girls." is a funny line, just for how straightforward it was. But some are taking it a bit too literal rather than a jab at the rating system. And it doesn't help that some are taking it as Sakurai being the reason rather than CERO being stubborn.
At this point, asking people to not read way too much into an innocent joke about a clear cut situation in a thread dedicated entirely to doing that is a Sisyphean task.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I think the overall design of the character matters too (at least a little bit). Mai is pretty much a realistic looking woman. Someone like Shantae however has more of a "cartoon"(=less realistic) design especially in her recent games like Seven Sirens + we already have Krystal in her Star Fox Adventures-Outfit.

Eh. Wonder Pink is as cartoony as they come and apparently CERO had a problem with her just like they had with Palutena.

"Sexiness" is a subjective scale and I don't think it affects ratings as much as specific terms, like whether certain body parts are exposed or not.

EDIT: I think approaching this topic as objective as possible would be better for everyone. Otherwise, we'll have never-ending debates about gut factors without any real outcome.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
At this point, asking people to not read way too much into an innocent joke about a clear cut situation in a thread dedicated entirely to doing that is a Sisyphean task.
Yeah, people thought Nintendo was gonna "trick everyone" and do a character reveal yesterday despite them literally saying "no new characters tomorrow". The Smash fanbase is desperate to try and make something out of nothing if it will get them what they want.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's silly to take it so literally. Everyone knows most of the Smash audience isn't "good".

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Again... It doesn't really matter who was responsible for the decision, just what that decision frames.
It's not like, "Oh, it was CERO that blocked it" changes the outcome or means that it won't be an issue other characters run into in the future.

Question: was Brawl rated CERO A or CERO B? there's a bit of blood in one Subspace Emissary scene which apparently got Brawl rated ESRB T

funny enough it's 3+ in EU? it's also rated PG in Australia due to "mild gambling references"
All the Smash games (that are rated) are A.

iDOLM@STER apparently bounces between B and C, so CERO can sod off. >_>

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I'm not sure if overall realism matters too much considering the likes of Peach, Daisy and Rosalina got censored as well.
Plus Sakurai also had issues with Wonder Pink as stated.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Mai being excluded is kind of a good thing in my opinion. It seems like they want to represent each character as accurately as possible without taking away design aspects that make that character. And Mai unfortunately just couldn't be depicted in a way that stays true to her character.

Besides, excluding her keeps the door open for characters from developers who may not want their own IPs associated with controversial characters. (Disney comes to mind here)

I would also say this pretty much means Ivy from Soul Calibur doesnt have much of a chance either.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
On the topic of FP5, I'm personally hoping for some Tales of love.

Yuri would be the dream, but realistically I'll settle for Lloyd. Either way, I'm personally pretty darn convinced we'll get a Tales character at some point.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

You talking about that scene with Master Hand? Did that really count?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Besides, excluding her keeps the door open for characters from developers who may not want their own IPs associated with controversial characters. (Disney comes to mind here)
If companies would be unable to accept Smash's sanitizing of more objectionable characters, I think that ship might've sailed with Bayonetta.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Thinking about what Sakurai said about being fun to play, what unique gimmick could KOS-MOS or Lloyd bring? Haven't played so I wouldn't know
Thanks to a mechanic called over limit Llyod would probably be the first character that can cancel specials into other specials. the shotos and terry can do it with normals into specials/final smashes but not specials into special. Llyod, 2b, and dante are all characters that could bring that mechinc to smash.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Honestly, if people are worried about KOS-MOS up skirt shots Sakurai could just use a black void lol. Even then, KOS-MOS Refrain from Xenoblade 2 is not designed with sex appeal in mind and she’s clearly Nintendofied. You’d have to really tilt the camera to look up her skirt imo unlike Pyra which well you know lol.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Sometimes I wonder how they handled Bayo's sexiness so well.

Then I remember she's designed by a woman.
Bayonetta as a character is sexualized, but unlike most sexualized characters she's visually designed to be sexy from a woman's point of view. higher emphasis on legs, hair, and attitude. Bayo doesn't have a huge chest or huge butt. thats not how she was aesthetically created.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Thinking about what Sakurai said about being fun to play, what unique gimmick could KOS-MOS or Lloyd bring? Haven't played so I wouldn't know
If it were up to me I’d implement the Hilbert effect for KOS-MOS. It would be really difficult to see what it could do in smash but maybe a simple damage buff or restoring her health like in Xenoblade 2 by a little. Or it could be similar to Shulk and she can get more mobility and power.

Another possibility is making X buster her gimmick. Her strongest move maybe can only be used at high percent? Or make it have a limit like Cloud.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Bayonetta as a character is sexualized, but unlike most sexualized characters she's visually designed to be sexy from a woman's point of view. higher emphasis on legs, hair, and attitude. Bayo doesn't have a huge chest or huge butt. thats not how she was aesthetically created.

I still think Bayonetta looks weird af in her own games. I'm glad Smash gave her human proportions.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I still think Bayonetta looks weird af in her own games. I'm glad Smash gave her human proportions.
I saw footage of Bayo when a friend was playing it and hearing Bayonetta say **** in that accent just sounded really uncomfortable.

I don't know why, it just does.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Probably fear from peeps thinking his statement could cause a ripple effect to other requested characters like the DoA or Senran Kagura characters who also have character design complications akin to Mai.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I saw footage of Bayo when a friend was playing it and hearing Bayonetta say **** in that accent just sounded really uncomfortable.

I don't know why, it just does.
I personally don't care so much about that. I just don't think there's anything sexy about a tiny head.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I personally don't care so much about that. I just don't think there's anything sexy about a tiny head.
the accent alone takes her off any sexy list on the planet

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You talking about that scene with Master Hand? Did that really count?
My opinion would be yes. It was very effective at communicating the puncture wounds in the poor...entity.

the accent alone takes her off any sexy list on the planet
Huh. Most people find the British accent sexy even when it's not supposed to be.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Could someone tell me if Smash Bros can compete for Game of the Year (GOTY) at the Game Awards?
Yeah, technically Smash can compete for any award.

Doomguy showed up because he heard about the possibility of Dante being invited and everyone is too scared to ask him to leave
Maybe I didn't play enough Doom, but in a 1 vs 1 I think only a few characters can face Dante (specially after DMC5) and as far as I know Doomslayer is not one of them.
inb4 Dante is added to Smash and can be beaten 3-0 by Isabelle.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Hot take: Bayonetta is a wholesome magical nun/dancer that exudes feminism and pokes fun of ultra violence by being as campy/overthetop and unrealistic as possible. Despite being persecuted by religious zealots and surviving a genocide orchestrated by her own father, she's able to move on, make peace with it, and casually do her own thing while having some fun.

Companies shouldn't think she'll tarnish their reputation by association; she could actually improve it.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Honestly, if people are worried about KOS-MOS up skirt shots Sakurai could just use a black void lol. Even then, KOS-MOS Refrain from Xenoblade 2 is not designed with sex appeal in mind and she’s clearly Nintendofied. You’d have to really tilt the camera to look up her skirt imo unlike Pyra which well you know lol.
Pyra wears shorts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom